PDA

View Full Version : DisneyWorld without doing the parks

bradleysnana
06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
We are DVC members. We went to Disney in March and did all of the parks. We actually had gone last March also. This trip used the last of the annual passes. I really want to go somewhere this summer, but I can not afford to purchase more tickets. My daughter, son in law and 4 grandchildren go with us so that is alot of money for tickets. I thought about taking a trip to the beach, but the hotels are out of sight for 8 people. So, I got to thinking, what about staying on Disney property using our DVC points and just do things in Orlando. Anyone have any suggestions on things to do. Some I have heard about include WonderWorks Comedy Show, Vans Skatepark and Monkey Joes at Festival bay, Holy Land, Pirate's Dinner Show, Ripleys, the boys want to eat at Nick Hotel. I am sure we will eat a couple of Disney meals. What are some other ideas? Things like putt putt, bumper boats, lazer tag, water parks (would you do Typhoon Lagoon, Wet n Wild or Aquatica), etc.

Lisa_M
06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
When we went 2 years ago, we only went to the MK 1 day out of 7. We spent alot more doing things around orlando than if we had gotten the Disney tickets. Medieval Times was almost $50 each with a coupon. Those dinner shows are not cheap at all. Even the BOGO coupon for minigolf they said was a free 2nd round, not free for the 2nd person.

Have you thought about checking out the DVC resorts out of Orlando? Vero Beach or the other one (can't think of the name right now). It would be a good way to have a family vacation and check out a new place.

Tinkerbelle32
06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
We love shopping at the two different outlet malls there in Orlando. Also, what about touring the other Disney resorts, and just plain hanging out at the pool. Sounds good to me.

gk90
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
The Mousesavers site has a couple of great pages on free/cheap things to do in WDW without going to the parks http://www.mousesavers.com/freestuff.html and on non-Disney attractions http://www.mousesavers.com/otherparks.html

Shelly F - Ohio
06-23-2009, 12:32 PM
What about pool hopping. Spend sometime at the different Disney pools.

Rent a bike and ride from SSR to OKW. There is a nice walk/bike paved path between the two resorts. There is also a long bike path between VWL and Fort Wilderness. Bike rental is cheap for an all day rental. While at Fort Wilderness walk through the horse barns and is photo's of famous horses that once were boarded there. Look for the hidden Mickey's in the barn.

Par take in the activies at the resort. I know SSR has pool side bingo, ice cream making just to name a few.

cndij
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
On our "off" days, we have breakfast at Chef Mickey's or the Polynesian character breakfast (the name escapes me), then get on the monorail and ride it for a while, you can get off at the other resorts and check out the gift shops etc. Gives a Disney feel without admission costs. Or in the afternoon go to Beaches and Cream for a snack etc. We got really good deals on the Arabian Nights dinner show which our neices were thrilled with (ages 11, 13 and 14) from one of the ticket discounters, I think maybe it was Maple Leaf?

The last time, my husband took the girls to Typhoon Lagoon for the day, my inlaws and I stayed at the condo. It was pretty reasonable for just 4 people.
Also the 7 day ticket at Universal that is about as much as one park hopper is a pretty good price, but still adds up for that many people.

HM
06-23-2009, 01:16 PM
If I were you, I'd look into staying at Vero Beach or HHI with your points.

extremesoccermom
06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
We were planning the same type of vacation next year. I don't want to put out the money for the tickets so we decided to go to Vero beach instead. I just couldn't see myself that close to the parks and not going.
All of the DVC resorts that I have been to have afternoon programs that are a lot of fun (SSR, OKW & AKV). Some even have movie nights at the pool (SSR & OKW and I think the BWV also have them.)
You can visit all the other resorts and even pool hop with your DVC membership. We consider DTD Grandmas Park and can spend the better part of the day walking around window shopping.

tar heel
06-23-2009, 03:20 PM
You can probably do both Universal parks or a week for what you would pay for Holy Land (which strikes me as way too weird), Ripley's and the Pirates dinner show.

We would have trouble going to WDW and not doing Disney parks, but we did do Universal only when we took our oldest son to start the Disney College Program. I still like Disney better, but was a lot of fun.

BigLoveSTink
06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
My kids would run away from home if I tried that. What is Disney without the parks?????

GoofItUp
06-23-2009, 03:56 PM
We did 10 days at Disney a few trips ago and only went to the parks for 4. It was a great vacation! We slept in (as much as our 9mo would allow!), went to DTD, checked out other resorts, went swimming, and just relaxed. We didn't have a rental car, so we didn't go off-property. It was just a chill-out-and-enjoy-the-family vacation.

That said, I second the thought of trying out HHI or VB with your points if you're concerned that your group won't find enough to do without the parks. Some of those off-site things you mentioned are pretty pricey.