PDA

View Full Version : Are Sparklers allowed on 4th of July @FTW?

SunshineCamper
06-23-2009, 06:37 AM
I know FTW is private property but what are the rules for sparklers, pops, etc. for the kids. :)Anybody know the rules on this?:confused3
Thanks in advance.

Shan-man
06-23-2009, 07:08 AM
This is a good question and has been asked before but never officially answered. I have poured through the info packet the Fort hands out at check-in and can find no mention of fireworks at all. I find this odd, since most CGs I stay at make clear that fireworks of any kind are prohibited. Another DISer said they were fairly certain that is the case at the Fort as well, but darned if I can find a written rule. Perhaps around the 4th they make a point of it since that is when most people might try to use them, I don't know, I've never been there at the 4th of July. Anyway, hope someone can find a definitive answer on this.

:santa:

FlaFortCampster
06-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Fireworks are illegal in the State of Florida, UNLESS, you sign a consent form stating you are using them for agricultural purposes, i.e. used to scare crows off. It's amazing how many people are into agriculture. :confused3 Sparklers fall into the fireworks category with some and not with others.
So the answer is....who knows????? Personally, I'm not a fan of fireworks because as with so many things, idiots use them as well as thoughtful individuals. I have on more than one occasion been within an eyelash of having a fire started on my deck one year and on my roof another year.
Sparklers seem innocent enough, but play with them around some dry pine needles and you could have the makings of a disaster. I would guess if they are OK at the Fort, WDW would provide them over at the campfire area. Otherwise, how about some stick lights, the ones you crack and shake. Home Depot usually has red, white and blue ones around the 4th. They're safe, last a long time and fun.

bigdisneydaddy
06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
I know I have seen the fireworks ban in writing but could not produce proof. I have seen people shoot fireworks off at FW and the Disney po-po were on them like a fat kid on a donut.

Good question on the sparklers, I hope someone can answer that question, maybe a call to the front desk is in order.

TinkNMinnie09
06-24-2009, 10:30 PM
I asked while we were there and we were told that sparklers were not allowed at the campgrounds.

bigdisneydaddy
06-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Sparklers are a huge fire hazard and if discarded improperly (thrown on ground) can cause a lot of damage if stepped on. They really are not as benign as some people think although like SOOOOOO many other things, if properly treated can be loads of fun for all ages.

meggymouse
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I didn't know fireworks were illegal. I live in central florida and there are stands selling them everywhere.

LarryJ
06-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Fireworks are illegal in the State of Florida, UNLESS, you sign a consent form stating you are using them for agricultural purposes, i.e. used to scare crows off. It's amazing how many people are into agriculture. :confused3 Sparklers fall into the fireworks category with some and not with others.
So the answer is....who knows????? Personally, I'm not a fan of fireworks because as with so many things, idiots use them as well as thoughtful individuals. I have on more than one occasion been within an eyelash of having a fire started on my deck one year and on my roof another year.
Sparklers seem innocent enough, but play with them around some dry pine needles and you could have the makings of a disaster. I would guess if they are OK at the Fort, WDW would provide them over at the campfire area. Otherwise, how about some stick lights, the ones you crack and shake. Home Depot usually has red, white and blue ones around the 4th. They're safe, last a long time and fun.

Not from my reading of THIS (http://www.fireworks.com/fireworks_laws/laws_florida.asp) which seems similar to the Va. laws and we also have stands now selling legal FWs. That link also says nothing that I see about agricultural.

Where did you come up with the info that your post was based on:confused3

Larry

Rhonda
06-27-2009, 06:10 AM
Here's the agriculture statute I found:

791.07 Agricultural and fish hatchery use.--Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the importation, purchase, sale, or use of fireworks used or to be used solely and exclusively in frightening birds from agricultural works and fish hatcheries; and such use shall be governed entirely by the rules prescribed by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

FlaFortCampster
06-27-2009, 12:37 PM
It all started when we were kids and happily shooting off our Black Cats in South Florida......then the knock on the door. It was the police. :scared1:They wanted to confiscate ALL our Black Cats that we had bought at South of the Border when on vacation with our hard earned allowance. After all, he said, fireworks are illegal in this state. Since we did live by the Chief of Police though, the officer kindly let us keep a few to shoot off at a large, nearby park.

Additionally, here's the law

Florida Fireworks Laws

CONSUMER FIREWORKS
Specifically Permitted Devices approved and listed by State Fire Marshal which emit a shower of sparks upon burning, do not contain any explosive compounds, do not detonate or explode, are hand held or ground based, cannot propel themselves through the air, and that contain not more than 100 grams of the chemical compound that produces sparks upon burning. Any device that is not included in the list of approved items is prohibited, except that snakes, small smoke devices, trick noisemakers and certain other novelties may be sold at all other times.
Specifically Prohibited Firecrackers, torpedoes, skyrockets, roman candles, daygo bombs, and any fireworks containing explosive or flammable compounds.

DISPLAY FIREWORKS
Display Permit Apply to local authorities at least 15 days beforedisplay date.
Insurance Required, $500 minimum.
Operator No license specifically required in state law. However, local jurisdiction may require permit.

Why they are everywhere is beyond me. Maybe something about $$$$$, who knows. :confused3 I do know the police definitely look the other way. Since WDW is private property though, they can dictate the rules and enforce they.

bigdisneydaddy
06-27-2009, 01:58 PM
It all started when we were kids and happily shooting off our Black Cats in South Florida......then the knock on the door. It was the police. :scared1:They wanted to confiscate ALL our Black Cats that we had bought at South of the Border when on vacation with our hard earned allowance. After all, he said, fireworks are illegal in this state. Since we did live by the Chief of Police though, the officer kindly let us keep a few to shoot off at a large, nearby park.

Additionally, here's the law

Florida Fireworks Laws

CONSUMER FIREWORKS
Specifically Permitted Devices approved and listed by State Fire Marshal which emit a shower of sparks upon burning, do not contain any explosive compounds, do not detonate or explode, are hand held or ground based, cannot propel themselves through the air, and that contain not more than 100 grams of the chemical compound that produces sparks upon burning. Any device that is not included in the list of approved items is prohibited, except that snakes, small smoke devices, trick noisemakers and certain other novelties may be sold at all other times.
Specifically Prohibited Firecrackers, torpedoes, skyrockets, roman candles, daygo bombs, and any fireworks containing explosive or flammable compounds.

DISPLAY FIREWORKS
Display Permit Apply to local authorities at least 15 days beforedisplay date.
Insurance Required, $500 minimum.
Operator No license specifically required in state law. However, local jurisdiction may require permit.

Why they are everywhere is beyond me. Maybe something about $$$$$, who knows. :confused3 I do know the police definitely look the other way. Since WDW is private property though, they can dictate the rules and enforce they.

we have the same problem up here, firecrackers and bottle rockets etc are all banned by law but so many of them are brought into the state that the ban is almost a joke. Our Police dont have enough time to deal with the crimes they have now let alone write tickets for firecrackers. I do know that they cracked down over the years on the people selling them here, used ot be you could get them everywhere but there are huge fines if you are caught selling them and they do send people out undercover.

ftwildernessguy
06-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Of course devices that emit a shower of sparks when burning are much safer than other fireworks. I'm gettin me a mess o those and givin em to the little ones. Have fun, kids, and junior - don't you go throwin them at yer sister without given her a warnin an a head start!

LarryJ
06-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Since WDW is private property though, they can dictate the rules and enforce they.

I don't think that is true since this is a State Fire Marshall issue and even how you use your private property comes under many laws such as even shooting a BB-gun where just a city ordinance can get you into trouble even on private property. Try setting off outlawed FW on your private property in FL. in front of a strict neighbor and see what happens.

Larry

ftwildernessguy
06-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Right - for some reason people think they can do whatever they like on private property. If that were true, think of the possibilities - murder, mayhem, bootleg booze. Ownership of property does not make you king of a sovereign nation.

FlaFortCampster
06-27-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't think that is true since this is a State Fire Marshall issue and even how you use your private property comes under many laws such as even shooting a BB-gun where just a city ordinance can get you into trouble even on private property. Try setting off outlawed FW on your private property in FL. in front of a strict neighbor and see what happens.

Larry

That's the point, nothing happens. Geez, I even saw fireworks for sale at Publix yesterday. Everyone's getting into the act.

Let me clarify though......WDW WILL ENFORCE illegal fireworks unlike the rest of the st a t e. Oops, excuse me, I jumped because a roman candle just exploded over my house.

Unfortunely, the state probably wouldn't worry about enforcing the law until some tragedy occurs, then the media and police will be all over it.:confused3