PDA

View Full Version : What's the cost of daycare?

bonybroad
06-23-2009, 06:32 AM
As a mostily SAHM, I don't know the cost of daycare. I have a wonderful friend who watches my two boys for $30 a day.
My boys are 8 and 6.
I found a really great day camp for the summer that just MIGHT keep them from killing each other and driving me crazy, but it is $150 each per week!
Is that right? It includes lunch and 2 snacks. Lots of education, field trips,etc. I love the idea, but don't want to pay TOO much for them to be occupied.
Thanks for any input.
Oh, I live in PA, north of Pittsburgh, near Slippery Rock University, where the camp is.
Don't know if that changes the price point.

mjkacmom
06-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Well, we have a very high COL, but that's what day camp costs here, run through the town, and people use it because it's SO inexpensive. It's certainly not the best, but WAY cheaper than any other option. It's also less than any daycare run out of a home, and MUCH less than a center.

brymolmom
06-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Definitely sounds like the correct (even a good) cost to me. Around here - in home daycare is about $25 - $30 per day per child and day care centers are up to $175 - $200 for a week per child.

The camp you are looking at - especially with meals provided (a lot around here require they bring their own lunch) and the extras - sounds like a great deal.

Not sure what the hours are for the camp - but work out the cost per hour and I think you'll find it VERY inexpensive - no matter where you live.

MeeskaMooshka
06-23-2009, 06:48 AM
My dS (2.5 yo) is in a montessouri preschool summer camp. They do a field trip once a week (extra cost), lunch is not included and we pay $700. a month. We do live in South Florida where the cost of living is high. I am not sure if that is "a good price" or not. My son is potty trained too which lowers the price. It it is a great program but I can't stand writing that check every month. I was a SAHM before this and the thought of spending all that money is brutal but he really does get a lot out of it.

andrews_dad
06-23-2009, 07:02 AM
We pay $150 per week. There are two others we prices. One was $175 per week and the other was $167. First and last are at a chucrh, the middle one is a day care center only.

puffkin
06-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I am in PA, near Reading. I think that price sounds pretty reasonable, if not a little cheap.

My DS is 3 and in daycare at a center. I pay $187/week for him. His center also offers a summer "day camp" program for school age kids and it is $170 /week. I believe they go to the pool 2 afternoons a week that is included. They also do another field trip every week that is not included (this week they went to an IMAX movie). Snacks and lunch are provided.

THere is a sports complex near me that also does summer camp. It is $150 and I believe that includes all activities including the pool days. Meals/snacks are not provided. It is also only 8:30-4:30 so they do offer extended care for those who need it at an additional cost.

I used to use a private sitter. She charged $140/week for toddlers and $120 for older kids. She did provide meals/snacks but no real activities. It was strictly daycare.

deedeetoo
06-23-2009, 08:56 AM
$150 really is the on the low end of things. Maybe I live in a more expensive area but there is nothing around here that cheap. Most options are in the high $200. I'm paying $529 for DS to go to 2 weeks at Cub Scout camp which includes an early payment discount and multisession discount. Both kids are going to a place called Teamworks for two sessions - so four weeks total is costing me $969 but that is with sibling and mutlisession discounts. Summer camp can be expensive. I have friends who are sending their son to a day camp that is $2800 for 4 weeks! :eek:

cheap traveler
06-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Cost sounds good. My DDs are 5.5 and 3, and the cost for their summer programs are $245 and $207 respectivly. They are both at the same center, and are there for ten hours a day. The summer camp for the 5yo is actually more expensive, but they give a discount for: their year-round families, and also a ten percent discount for the least expensive child.

Our town park, on the other hand, is $50 each for camp, and it only runs 9-3 I think. Good program for the price, but not practical for my schedule.

Kitzka
06-23-2009, 09:50 AM
wow! i wuold love to pay $150 per week. DD goes to a day camp at the local university in my town and it's about $350 per week. This does not include food but does include all of the trips and is from 8:15-5:50 m-f.

She also attends a day camp in upstate NY for 4 weeks and that is quite a bit more. $800 a week but it includes transportation to and from my home and all food and trips.

Lara

Ashlander
06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
$150 seems reasonable since lunch and snacks are included. I pay $125 at the YMCA, but we pack lunch and snacks.

HM
06-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds REALLY good to me. My kids camps are between $175-$250 a week and don't include lunch and rarely include field trips. Go for it!

andrews_dad
06-23-2009, 10:40 AM
We pay $150 per week. There are two others we prices. One was $175 per week and the other was $167. First and last are at a chucrh, the middle one is a day care center only.

Forgot to mention that I am in York, PA. And those prices including food, but not "field trips." Your deal is very good, IMO. I'd happily send them to the Slimy Pebble, er, Slippery Rock.

alyssa810
06-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Our tuition goes up next week, $323 (oy!:eek:) a week for our DS who's almost 21 months old. He goes to a center in Quincy, just south of Boston, and lunch and snacks are included. I know people in our area who pay less, and who pay more; I think our center is in the median for our area.
Where you live definitely seems to make a difference, so $300 a week for 2 older kids doesn't seem crazy to me.

Johnson1220
06-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Our tuition goes up next week, $323 (oy!:eek:) a week for our DS who's almost 21 months old. He goes to a center in Quincy, just south of Boston, and lunch and snacks are included. I know people in our area who pay less, and who pay more; I think our center is in the median for our area.
Where you live definitely seems to make a difference, so $300 a week for 2 older kids doesn't seem crazy to me.

I am right there with you - our center is $350 a week :scared1:for my 27 month old. They do provide all food and snacks. I only bring diapers and once trained I think it gets a little cheaper. But living in Mass near boston we have to pay this much. Makes me insane!

You are getting a great deal .. in my opinion.

Ashlander
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Well there is no way I'm moving to the Boston area with those daycare prices!!! YIKES! We pay $137/week for my 4 year old - it includes lunch and snacks.

JLKennedy
06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm switching daycares now. I am/was paying $187 per week - full time 5 days a week. Camp fee is $25.00, camp shirt (for field trips) is $15.00, then the actual trips are on top and range $15.00-$25.00.

The new center is costing me $200 per week - full time 5 days a week. Camp is $200 for the summer (tuition on top of that).

Neither center provide lunch, that is extra or pack it yourself, and my child is going to be 5 in October.

We live in Southern NJ - close to Philly. If I could get $150 for something decent, I'd bite.

I was going to enroll my DD10 in the Y camp this summer, but for 8 weeks, it was about $3,000.00 - without meals or transportation.

labdogs42
06-23-2009, 12:17 PM
That's a good price. I live near Allentown and different day camps around here run about $125 - $200 a week per kid. I'd sign them up!

Darcy03231
06-23-2009, 12:24 PM
My kids have been out of daycare/camp for about 10 years. I paid $150/wk each back then, so I would guess that $150/wk each now is a pretty good deal.

lecach
06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I work in Chapel Hill NC. Daycare here is pretty pricey. Ours is $950 a month for all ages (2 1/2 and up). So around $230 a week. Includes breakfast, lunch, snack. The center is 5 stars and is on the campus of the retirement community where I work. Since I work here I get a $225 a month stipend for the daycare so I only pay $725 thank goodness.

Infant care around here is around $300 a week.

I just checked on the one camp I know of. Day camp is $205 a week, overnight camp is $350.

Piecey
06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Here, full-time nursery care (under 2) is $135 a week.

sylvenmaid
06-23-2009, 12:43 PM
We must be really cheap then. Regular daycare is anywhere from $75-100/wk and this includes hot meals and snacks. Most of them are run with school atmospheres for the toddlers. Even summer camps aren't that much more expensive. The more popular all day camp (8-5) is run for 7 weeks and costs about $110/week which again includes lunch. Breakfast is extra as is earlier drop-off times.

bonybroad
06-23-2009, 12:49 PM
A little more info...
Includes luncg and two snacks.
Includes all field trips.
2 days swimming, one day computer lab, one day field trip and one day organized outdoor activities.
Hours are 730 to 530. "Camp" actually starts at 9 and ends at 330.
I am not doing this for babysitting. It's like a summer activity for the boys and a sanity saver for Mom.
It sounds like it is a reasonable price. I think we will go ahead and register.
Next week is Camp Kaboom (they get to make things explode) and another one is "Survival Camp." My oldest son is totally obsessed with Les Stroud, so it is perfect for him. Two weeks is all I am willing to pay for, though!
Thanks for all the responses!
And Slimey Pebble is an old joke.....:laughing:

cepmom
06-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Well there is no way I'm moving to the Boston area with those daycare prices!!! YIKES! We pay $137/week for my 4 year old - it includes lunch and snacks.

not all of Boston area is that expensive, lol! I am just south of Boston and my DD11 is doing one week through the town rec dept for $122 per week. It runs from 8:30 - 4:30 and does not include lunch. Granted she is much older and doesn't really need daycare so to speak, but she thinks this camp is fun and she is doing it with other friends so they won't be bored all summer.

Hasil72
06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
That's a great deal! :cool1:

We're in Southern NJ a few miles east of Philadelphia and camps here can be ridiculous. My daughter's daycare runs a camp very similar to what you're describing and it was going to cost $254 per child per week with camp fees. Yikes!

Kies99
06-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm in Pittsburgh (actually Bethel Park).

The day camp that is run at Bethel Park High School (9am-3:30pm). The all day cost is $125 per child ($145 if you don't live in Bethel Park) and each kid must bring their own lunch. Price is $10 lower for each additional child.

We have a 17yo who lives 2 doors down watching our two kids in our home for the summer and this is roughly what we are paying, but we are providing lunches and we have to arrange for field trips, etc...

So sounds to me like that is somewhat average for western PA.

Teresa Pitman
06-23-2009, 02:30 PM
You know what's sad - I used to do daycare in my home, looking after two other children as well as my own. I charged the going rate at the time - and guess what it was: $25 a day, $125 a week for full-time care. That was 25 years ago!! Sad that as wages in other professions have gone up, day care providers are still paid so little.

Teresa

LisaNJ25
06-23-2009, 02:33 PM
A little more info...
Includes luncg and two snacks.
Includes all field trips.
2 days swimming, one day computer lab, one day field trip and one day organized outdoor activities.
Hours are 730 to 530. "Camp" actually starts at 9 and ends at 330.
I am not doing this for babysitting. It's like a summer activity for the boys and a sanity saver for Mom.
It sounds like it is a reasonable price. I think we will go ahead and register.
Next week is Camp Kaboom (they get to make things explode) and another one is "Survival Camp." My oldest son is totally obsessed with Les Stroud, so it is perfect for him. Two weeks is all I am willing to pay for, though!
Thanks for all the responses!
And Slimey Pebble is an old joke.....:laughing:

That's not bad at all. My daughters girl scout day camp s $275 a week.. and includes snack and 1 lunch a week. Sleep away is $425 a week.

Our rec department has a summer long program for $150 the summer and trips are extra.

Make sure you see if they have a sibling discount.

jcc0621
06-23-2009, 02:49 PM
WE live in Philly. DS has been in daycare since he was 4 months old. The first place he was at was $165/week. We pulled him from that center and moved him to the Y when he was 4 (New director and we didn't like the way things were going - they closed down less than 8 months later:rolleyes1) and that bumped up day care to $186/month. At both places we provided all meals and snacks.

DS now just completed his first year of Kindergarten, but I have to send him somewhere for afterschool care. The place he attends is $150/week - this includes before and after school care, snacks, and if he is every there apst 4:45 (ehich he never is) they would give him dinner. I can also send him here if the schools are closed but DH is not off due to teacher in service days. They pick him up from school in their van and take him to their facility.

He goes to the same place now for camp (I'm lucky in that he only has to go for 2 weeks becasue DH is a teacher so he is home with most of the summer) is $200 per week plus $50 a week for swimming. They provide breakfast, lunch, snacks (and again dinner if he is there past a certain time). I think this is an awesome deal especaily with all the other things they get with camp. Last week he had woodworking and volleyball. This week he has lego robotics and pottery. All included in the $200. Again they swim at one of the local swim clubs so that is an extra $50 per week.

treeface
06-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I guess we're getting off pretty cheap here. Our summer camp is $70/wk, includes 1 field trip each week, swimming every day, lunch (provided by the schools at all parks), plus all of the other typical camp activities. Hours are 7-5:30. My son is 7 now and in his second year there, but our daughter also attended there 4 summers and the price was the same then.

I don't know what daycare is around here anymore, but when my son went I paid on average $98/wk which included a 30% employee discount and automatic payment (they got paid before I did :) ). Now they only offer a 15% discount and rates go up each year. With my current salary, if we had to pay more than $125/wk, it would make more sense for me to stay home, especially since I commute 50 miles rt every day.

Even though our local economy is horrible right now, I'm glad to be here where the COL is less than many areas.

laughinplace199
06-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't know about daycare, but camp around here runs $300-$400 per week, with a couple that are as high as $600 per week.

It sounds like you got a good deal. :thumbsup2

MariDisney
06-23-2009, 08:27 PM
That would be very inexpensive for here. A YMCA camp that includes no trips and no snacks or lunches would cost me about $200 per week. A specialty camp is in the neighboord of $300-$400

buzz5985
06-24-2009, 02:05 AM
$150 really is the on the low end of things. Maybe I live in a more expensive area but there is nothing around here that cheap. Most options are in the high $200. I'm paying $529 for DS to go to 2 weeks at Cub Scout camp which includes an early payment discount and multisession discount. Both kids are going to a place called Teamworks for two sessions - so four weeks total is costing me $969 but that is with sibling and mutlisession discounts. Summer camp can be expensive. I have friends who are sending their son to a day camp that is $2800 for 4 weeks! :eek:

My DS went to Camp Massasoit for a week when he was a cub scout. He had a blast. Granted - we picked him up in the same clothes we dropped him off in - but the scouts in charge promised me they threw him in the lake every night. LOL They put on a nice picnic at the end of the week, and a nice little show.

He is a boy scout now so he will be attending TL Storer in a a couple of weeks. It was $300 for 6 nights. This is his second year - and he infomred me they have the best food. He will be working on his swimming badge, and his rifle shooting (yikes) badge.

Janis

*pixie*dust*
06-24-2009, 05:37 AM
My son goes to daycare while I work. I pay $135 per week. In my area $125-150 a week for a preschool aged child is the average.

tina3
06-24-2009, 06:03 AM
I pay $165/wk for daycare for DS and DD.