PDA

View Full Version : French Quarter or Pop?

waterfront
06-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Please help me decide between POFQ or Pop! We visited WDW for the first time this past September, stayed at POFQ and loved it. We're hooked and have another trip planned this Nov. DH & I are thinking of trying a value but are having a horrible time making up our minds. :confused3

I would appreciate any advice.

(Oh, DH & I are the ones really excited about going back to WDW but DD10 & DS6 will be with us)

sabrecmc
06-22-2009, 04:22 PM
With kids that age, I might be tempted to save money and do POP. They probably wouldn't appreciate the quiet ambiance of the French Quarter! However, FQ is sort of our home resort, so I love it. The small size and great theming...walking to POR to try that pool...boats to DTD...*sigh*

ROEDISNEY
06-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Pop is very nice but you r stepping down from a Mod- to a value. So it depends on your budget. If your okay with the Mod why not try a differt Mod it-s fun. You might want to try CBR they have Pirate rooms & nemo rooms which your kids would love and and A pirate pool.

kaffinito
06-22-2009, 04:24 PM
If you liked POFQ then why not stay there again? You could check out POP while you're there to see if that's somewhere you would like to stay in the future.

Or, you could try POR, POFQ's sister resort. ;)

Either way, have fun with your decision and happy planning! :goodvibes

dancin Disney style
06-22-2009, 04:38 PM
We've stayed at both POP and POFQ. POP was fine no complaints and if I had to stay there again I would but on that trip I realized that I'm a mod resort girl.

POFQ had always been my dream resort and when we finally stayed there it did not disapoint. I loved everything about it. The magnolia trees, the lamp posts, the boat to DTD. Most of all the small size of the resort.

This year we have to stay at a value and we are going to ASMu. We were not planning a trip and then when we decided at the last minute to book something we realized that we could only afford a value. We could have shortened our trip by a few days in order to stay at a mod but I find I really need those extra days. I have a stressful job and it takes me a couple days to get on vacation mode. Our DD picked ASMu and we decided a while back that we would try several places before doing any repeats.

trekker93
06-22-2009, 05:14 PM
For a resort that's a value resort it is certainly worth the money - especially if you don't spend alot of time in the room or at the resort. Pop is easy to get back/forth to the parks because it has it's own buses. Also, the decor is alot of fun. The pools are large and very warm, surprisingly. And the large eating area, Everything Pop, has some very good cafeteria style food. We have stayed at both resorts and will be going back to Pop for the 3rd straight year. The savings in costs we use to exend our trip to 2 weeks. 1 week just isn't enough to see the WDW. We also prefer going down in the Fall for MNSSHP, Epcot's Food & Wine festival and the Eat to the Beat music festival.:thumbsup2

5Parks
06-22-2009, 06:05 PM
I would go to Port Orleans French Quarters.

BoomNLeon
06-22-2009, 06:10 PM
POFQ, no question about it.

POP is nice, but the location and services are not as good as POFQ. You can swim at POR and take the boat to DTD. Plus you get that wonderful "Nawlins" feeling at POFQ. The cast at PO is also some of the best on property.

Just my opinion, though....

snowhyte
06-22-2009, 06:13 PM
I have stayed at and enjoyed both. My husband and I like the quiet, quaint feeling at POFQ, but my daughter definitely preferred the fun of POP. For us, values are good for weekend trips and split stays. But if it was longer than 4 days we would definitely go for POFQ. It has the boat to DTD, small size and relaxing atmosphere if you are planning on time at the resort. If you are park commandos and just want a place to sleep, POP is awesome. It also has nice quiet pools and a good food court. Have fun!

ajleone
06-22-2009, 06:25 PM
POFQ- it's our favorite!

waterfront
06-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the great responses!

We're going to be at WDW from 11/2-11/7 and value would be easier on our budget but a moderate might be better for us.

Our family spends all day at the parks and likes to spend evenings relaxing at the pool. Is 11/2-11/7 a quiet time at WDW? I've been reading here that POP can be pretty rambunctious during the evenings. If we did go with a value, does anyone recommend a different one?

Thanks again for all your helpful advice.

candielips
06-22-2009, 08:29 PM
I have stayed at both, in fact we just got back in May from our DD's 1st trip & we chose POP.
IMO, I liked them both. I was quite pleased w/ POP, and was so skeptical before I went. But our DD LOVED POP!
POFQ has some nice extra amenities, like the boat to DTD, the more relaxed feel, but other than that, I saw no real difference. I didn't even see too much of a difference in the rooms, other than double sinks.
If I was booking a MOD I think I would try somewhere new like CS or CBR. But that is our goal, to always try somewhere new.

jlp879
06-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Personally, I would choose POR because of the ambiance and the fact that it is on the Sassagoula River. The boat ride is so relaxing and pleasant. It has some nicer amenities there like more food choices, lounge, hot tub.

However, my kids have a hankering to stay at a value resort. They love the bright colours and oversize designs. But since I'm paying, I get the final say.

MickeyNicki
06-23-2009, 12:28 PM
We prefer the POFQ over the POP because it is a much smaller resort, less people and crowds

waterfront
06-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks for all the great replies!!! DH & I decided to go with POP and I booked it. After talking some more about it he decides he really wants POFQ because of the relaxing atmosphere.

princessbride6205
06-26-2009, 02:00 AM
Silly DH, changing his mind after you booked! :rotfl:
I love POFQ and feel lukewarm about Values in general. My DH on the other hand would stay in Values for half of our stays with no problem. POP is fun, especially if you have kids the ages of yours. Over the top theming and Value price are good too. If you're wanting to try something new and save money, and are okay that you're not going to get Moderate level, try out POP - it's pretty cool. If you're not sure you'd be happy at a Value - POFQ is awesome! You can't go wrong - it's just making the decision that's the hard part. ;)

disney_teen
06-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Speeking from a teens point of view i like POP better. I just got done staying at POFQ and did not like it very much. First of off it was so loud! We were on the second floor on building one and could hear everything around us....and i mean EVERYTHING! Conversations, doors slamming, and the toilets! It was crazy. It felt extremly like a old run down motel in a desprate need for a refurb. The good things about it is that walking anywhere was easy. I loved the jazz musician. Their Mango smoothies were to die for! My brother liked the pool and arcade. It was just alright.

I stayed at the POP when I was a little kid. I loved it!! The pool was the best and I loved the theme. Of course it was a kids dream. I loved it.

Anyways, I think the POFQ is more like a value resort. It all depends on you and your family. Trust me, I think you and your kids will like POP better. :)