PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever stay at Hilton in DTD?

bangzoom6877
06-22-2009, 02:21 PM
My parents and sister are going to Disney for the first 4 nights of our 10-night trip next July, and we are all going to book this August. They are not interested in getting the dining plan, but they do want to be able to take advantage of the extra magic morning hours. They will be spending a day off-site at Sea World so they don't want the dining plan. I had told them about the Swan and Dolphin resorts, since they are so close to BWV (our DVC home). But I also know that if you stay at the Hilton in DTD, you can take advantage of the extra magic hours at the Disney parks. They will have a car with them so using transportation is not an issue for them, as they will be able to drive to the parks. I am wondering if this would be a better option than Swan/Dolphin since the rates I saw for the Hilton were lower, even with my sister's teacher discount at Swan and Dolphin.

Anyone ever stay or know someone who stayed at the DTD Hilton? I would like to know some info on it if anyone has any. Thanks!

hilarys
06-22-2009, 03:18 PM
DH and I stayed there in November 2000 (wow it has been 8.5 years now) using our HIlton Honors points. This was my first DW trip and while you don't have the theming of the Disney resorts it was still a great experience. At that time we were able to use transportation and the early hours. Granted it has been quite a while since we have stayed there but the rooms were fine (we were in a concierge level room so we had a breakfast buffet) and the location across from DTD was nice. Because the location of the Hilton is pretty much within all the Disney experience, you don't really feel like you are an "outsider." If not staying in the same location as you is not an issue, I am sure they would be perfectly happy.

Hilary

dgaston
06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
The DTD Hilton is one of Mary's preferred hotels at www.mousesavers.com She has written about it here http://www.mousesavers.com/hiltonwdw.html

bangzoom6877
06-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys! I will pass this info along to the rest of the family and see. I know the rates at Swan and Dolphin are great this summer but normally they are a bit pricey for them. So we will have to see what happens. They may also end up staying at Pop Century, especially if they do ultimately decide to do the dining plan anyway. They are staying 4 nights, going to MK and Epcot with us on 2 of the days, and going to Sea World on another day (without us). Everyone wants to eat in the castle, so that would take up 2 TS credits anyway, plus they could get CS breakfast the day they go to Sea World before leaving, which would take care of that day's meal credits. I will speak to them about it. They are like us, they prefer to pre-pay as much as possible.

WendyDavis00
06-23-2009, 05:00 AM
We stayed there for one night in December of 2008. It was okay, but it doesn't compare to the Disney Resorts. It is really close to DTD and you will be able to use extra magic hours. It is okay and the price makes it much more appealing.

bangzoom6877
06-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I know the Hilton in DTD doesn't have the Disney theming like the Disney resorts, but is it just as good as the other Hilton hotels normally are? If they expect it to be up to the standards of other Hiltons, would that be the right expectations?

They might want the Disney theming though. So if Swan/Dolphin are too much money they may end up going with POP like we did last year.

WendyDavis00
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
The Hilton seemed to be out dated to me. It was nice and clean, but it just seemed old to me, maybe a little outdated. I am probably being nit picky, my husband thought it was fine. He travels a lot for work and has stayed at a lot of Hiltons he says that it is nicer than some of the Hiltons he has stayed at.

gatordoc
06-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Stayed there once a couple of years ago and would never go back. The biggest problem was noise - the rooms are not at all well insulated, and every little noise from the hallway comes right in. I also did not think much of the bus service - ended up walking to DD and traveling on from there because it was actually more convenient.

DISNEYMOMx5
06-23-2009, 10:01 PM
We stayed there a couple of years ago to save weekend points & were not at all impressed. The rooms had a very musty smell, & the bathroom in the one room (we had 2) needed some serious updating/repair work. We felt like we spent the whole time counting the minutes until our vacation really started "at home". Also, you don't dare get a sweet tooth...sent DH to find me a candy bar late at night & the darn thing was $2.00! :eek:

nappingbeauty
06-24-2009, 09:56 PM
We stayed there two years ago prior to checking into the boardwalk and we were very satisfied with our stay!