PDA

View Full Version : Hotel for Dogs

richmond282
06-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Hotel for Dogs is the free movie at our local theater this week. I've never seen it and wonder if it's OK for 4-6 year olds. I noticed it was rated PG and wondered why. I hate to waste my time on a bad movie (even for free.)

mantaz
06-21-2009, 10:32 PM
We took our 4 yo to see it. She loved it. I can't remember why it is PG but you might be able to look up a review on it.

drivencrazy
06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Cute movie. My 4 year old likes it, I think she actually sat and watched most of it! My 6 year old also liked it... don't know why it is PG... nothing that really sticks out in my mind. Our older girls 11 and 14 have watched it a few times.

I would say for free, go see it!

Have fun!

gshumaker
06-22-2009, 12:48 AM
We use Kids In Mind (http://www.kids-in-mind.com/)to evaluate movies that we have not seen.

Here is the direct link to the review for Hotel for Dogs (http://www.kids-in-mind.com/h/hotelfordogs.htm)

Unlike the MPAA, we do not assign a single, age-specific rating and we do not make recommendations. Instead we assign each film three distinct, category-specific ratings: one for SEX & NUDITY, one for VIOLENCE & GORE and one for PROFANITY. Each rating is on a scale of zero to ten, depending on quantity (more F-words, for instance, will mean a higher Profanity rating, and so on) as well as context (especially when it comes to the categories of sex, nudity, violence and gore, since they are not as easily quantifiable as profanity).

In addition to assigning three ratings, we also explain in detail why a film rates high or low in a specific category, and we include instances of SUBSTANCE USE, a list of DISCUSSION TOPICS (topics that may elicit questions from kids) and MESSAGES (what values the film conveys).

richmond282
06-22-2009, 07:49 AM
We use Kids In Mind (http://www.kids-in-mind.com/)to evaluate movies that we have not seen.

Here is the direct link to the review for Hotel for Dogs (http://www.kids-in-mind.com/h/hotelfordogs.htm)

Unlike the MPAA, we do not assign a single, age-specific rating and we do not make recommendations. Instead we assign each film three distinct, category-specific ratings: one for SEX & NUDITY, one for VIOLENCE & GORE and one for PROFANITY. Each rating is on a scale of zero to ten, depending on quantity (more F-words, for instance, will mean a higher Profanity rating, and so on) as well as context (especially when it comes to the categories of sex, nudity, violence and gore, since they are not as easily quantifiable as profanity).

In addition to assigning three ratings, we also explain in detail why a film rates high or low in a specific category, and we include instances of SUBSTANCE USE, a list of DISCUSSION TOPICS (topics that may elicit questions from kids) and MESSAGES (what values the film conveys).

Thank you. This looks like a great website. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

kittymarcy
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a 4 and 6 year old and they loved it! Of course, my mom brought out that she didn't like that the kids in the movie lie...

Colinsmom
06-22-2009, 08:12 PM
We rented it from Red Box for $1 and my 3yo and 6.5yo boys just loved it. DS6 especially loved all of the inventions the kids came up with for the dogs.

kstategrad
06-22-2009, 08:14 PM
My 8 year old LOVED this movie, and I actually liked it too! It was much better than I expected it to be!

Grumpy140
06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
It is a great movie. I dont see a problem with a 4 yr old seeing it. Enjoy.:thumbsup2

CyndiLooWho
06-22-2009, 10:10 PM
It's our dollar movie next week, and we can't wait to see it again (DSs 8 & 10). I don't know why it's PG; I don't remember bad language which is the normal reason a kids' movie would be PG.

The theme is that two foster kids, who aren't treated the way you'd treat your own kids, have been hiding a dog from their foster parents for 3 yrs (and several sets of foster parents). They have lied, stolen, etc to find money to keep the dog fed, and then they trespass on an old theater to have a home for their dog and other strays. That's putting the theme in the worst possible light.

In the best light, it's two kids willing to do what it takes to stay together and not lose their family pet. They are trying hard to do for the strays what they wish foster parents would do for them - love them, feed them, treat them well. It's about commitment to their dream of family life going on w/o their parents.

I have no reservations taking my kids to see it again, and would take younger ones if I had them.

Ilvolare
06-22-2009, 10:59 PM
This is a go see movie. Our family just loved it. We also loved seeing the Spinone in the move too. We have 2 of our own and I show spins and others breeds. Enjoy!!!

kellydizfan
06-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Cute Movie. My kids are alot older and they each liked it for different reasons. I say go see it - it is for free!