PDA

View Full Version : Power Wheels

jstbcuz
06-21-2009, 04:01 PM
I am thinking of buying my DS3 a big power wheels for Christmas. Does anyone know the best time to get the best price on them? If I have to buy it 3 months in advance and hold it thats ok.......just want to get a good price.

Soon2B4
06-21-2009, 07:21 PM
We just got one at Wal-mart for our DS. We got him the 2 seater F150. It depends on what you want and who has it. We compared TRU and Wal-mart and decided to go to Wal-mart. I can't say it was budget....it was somewhere over $300....

mdsouth
06-21-2009, 08:12 PM
I got one last weekend at a garage sale for $20.00. It is in really good shape and even came with a battery recharger.

Check out the classified ads in your local paper (hardcopy or via the internet).

In the past, I bought my DD a name brand light up doll house complete with furniture in the summer at a garage sale. I keep it hidden until Christmas.

At our house, Santa leaves the big gifts under the tree - unwrapped. This is great because many of the books (Twas the Night Before Christmas) and shows (The Grinch, Rudolph) show Santa leaving unwrapped presents under the tree.

Santa doesn't have to use wrapping paper and it is so much fun to see the kids' reactions to the gifts immediately. Also, the toys are all set up and ready to be played - without having to take time to get the gifts cut out of the box, batteries installed, etc.

MSSANDRA
06-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Many time black Friday sales will have great prices on them if you want to take the chance to wait.

caribear
06-21-2009, 09:52 PM
I am also looking for one for my DS who will be turning 2 in two weeks. I have been checking craigslist daily to see if I can find something used, but in very good condition. He loves riding in his sister's Barbie jeep!! My dh says to spray paint the jeep green and there we go.....but my DD who is going to be 7 in a month still loves to ride around in it...plus she is tiny so she still has plenty of room to fit in it. I refuse to spend over $250.....I prefer something under $200.....but we will see what I can find. TRU has ones for almost $700!!!

Mickey527
06-21-2009, 10:02 PM
the only store that I have ever seen these on clearance is K-Mart. I had looked for them on clearance at all the stores around here but ony K-Mart had them on clearance. They only had the jeep 4X4 marked down to $130.
I kicked myself for not buying it because I knew my grandson wanted the Lightening McQueen.
So this year my son got his tax return and took my grandson (his son) to the store to pick out any ride on car he wanted. Of course my grandson didn't want Lightening McQueen, he wanted the 4X4 that was over $300.
He also bought another battery and charger and we charge both batteries. I have taken my grandson on 3 mile rides, I ride my bike and he rides the 4X4. We go to the park and pack a lunch. He rides on the sidewalk and I ride on the road right next to him. I love the looks people give him, it is so cute to see him riding down the street.

greenchief
06-21-2009, 11:16 PM
They usually tend to mark down the older models around Oct into Nov to get rid of them before the upcoming Holiday season. This is when I have seen them reduced in price. Good Luck!

aprhj
06-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Toys R Us usually has a sale around Thanksgiving and the Power Wheels are much cheaper than normal, plus if you open a new TRU credit card you get 10% off. The last one I bought, 2 years ago, I went back twice and had the price adjusted when it went on sale cheaper. Ended up getting a $350+ Kawasaki ATV Power Wheels for around $185. I was also looking at getting the Sears Craftsman F150 at the same time and I think the lowest I saw it was around $200. Good luck and just keep your eyes open, know the normal prices and when you see one for a good deal buy it and cover it up in the garage with an old blanket until Christmas.

carj
06-22-2009, 09:54 AM
If you haven't already had your child try out the Power Wheels, then I would see if you can do that. Maybe ask around and see if any of your friends have them. It is an expensive toy and not all kids like them. My son never really liked the one that we got for him. He would ask to ride it but never rode for more than a minute before hopping onto his tricyle or bike. I know a lot of kids like them, but not all!:goodvibes He is very active and wanted to "do" something, not just push a button. I would hate for you to spend a lot of money and then find out that he doesn't care for it.

I think that you can google previous years of ads from Black Friday and see what was offered. That might give you an idea of what kind of sale price you can expect.

FeelnFroggy
06-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I second Craigslist. When we were looking for one for my son, I found a gently used John Deere Gator powerwheel for $175. I think they were around$350 at WalMart.

CyndiLooWho
06-22-2009, 05:10 PM
And even if you do end up paying full price (I hope you don't!), if it's something he likes, it will be worth it.

8 yrs ago, FIL bought ds the $350 Silverado. He was just over 2 yo. At 10, and with an 8 yo bro, it is on its 3rd battery and still going strong. Their legs hang out and they are sitting on the seat back instead of the seat, but it's still the first thing they go after when we get to the farm. It's probably the best gift my FIL ever got them.

HeatherAnn23
06-22-2009, 06:17 PM
We got a great deal on one at Costco a couple of Christmases ago. It was the fire jeep - 2 seater, lots of bells and whistles for about $150. It was an amazing deal, and we jumped on it. Of course, add us to the "we thought it was a great idea but our kid liked the box better" club. He's had it for two years now, and he's probably gotten it out of the garage less than 5 times. :confused3 We'll give it another year or so before we give someone a great deal on a like new present for their little one! :lmao:

deva
06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
I second Costco. I've seen them there for the past several years when Christmas toys first arrive in the fall. They are $149.99 and sell out very quickly. Our neighbors passed on buying one day - went back the next and it was sold out. Closest one to be found was like 3 states away. They were kicking themselves.

jstbcuz
06-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks guys!!! We dont have a Costco where I live tho. I guess I will just have to keep an eye out at all times. :)