PDA

View Full Version : Whispering Canyon Cafe? Without the fun?

SnowandMittens
06-14-2009, 01:29 PM
I am traveling with my little sisters (9 and 21) my boyfriend and her boyfriend (24, 22) myself (22) and my mom (hahaha, 21. ageless.).

We are looking for a TS for our MK day and WCC looked like a good menu, and the food reviews have been amazing! Besides, I'm dying to see the inside of the hotel. My question... the boyfriends and my sisters (both of them) might be uncomfortable if extra attention is paid to them... not party poopers, but just all painfully shy.

Is there a way to discreetly mention this to the hostesses or server so that they can serve us "normally"?

If so, have you done it and were your wishes respected? I really want to eat there, but I want everyone in our group to have fun.

dizneydiva2005
06-14-2009, 01:34 PM
I am traveling with my little sisters (9 and 21) my boyfriend and her boyfriend (24, 22) myself (22) and my mom (hahaha, 21. ageless.).

We are looking for a TS for our MK day and WCC looked like a good menu, and the food reviews have been amazing! Besides, I'm dying to see the inside of the hotel. My question... the boyfriends and my sisters (both of them) might be uncomfortable if extra attention is paid to them... not party poopers, but just all painfully shy.

Is there a way to discreetly mention this to the hostesses or server so that they can serve us "normally"?

If so, have you done it and were your wishes respected? I really want to eat there, but I want everyone in our group to have fun.

well, the last time we ate there- there was no FUN what so ever. It was just the opposite. :scared:

My husband is a lot like that and hates 50 Prime time because of that. When we sit down we just let the server know ahead of time. It hasn't been an issue. I think it's fun-- but not everyone does, they understand that.

HsvTeacher
06-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, it can be done! In the back of the restaurant, there is a little room/area that has about six-seven tables. It is really quiet back there, and you can enjoy your meal without all the hoopla, if you wish. Just make sure you request that area when you are checking in for your reservation.

When we ate there in March, we were exhausted, and we told our server that we didn't mind if he wanted to skip the "show." He seemed relieved to here that. The service was awesome, the food was wonderful, and we had a great experience.

Lynne M
06-14-2009, 01:43 PM
There is a back part of the restaurant that's somewhat separated from the main dining area, you can ask to be seated there. You may have to be somewhat insistent, I told the host that my friend and I wanted a quieter table for breakfast a couple of years back and the host put us right in the middle of the mayhem and made a big deal of calling us 'old ladies'. I think they sometimes assume that if you're there, you must want to play along.

Definitely tell your server that you don't want to participate in any of the antics, and they'll abide by your wishes. If they don't, ask to see the manager.

CrystalS
06-14-2009, 01:46 PM
oh, we are trying for ADR there in sept, but didn't know about a "show"

can't anyone elaborate about what this show is?

HsvTeacher
06-14-2009, 01:52 PM
oh, we are trying for ADR there in sept, but didn't know about a "show"

can't anyone elaborate about what this show is?

Show as in all the antics: throwing straws, giant glasses, throwing napkins, embarrassing you, yelling for you to take ketchup to another table, etc.

It's fine for some people, not fine for others. We enjoyed it on our first visit with friends. However, we were exhausted on another visit and just wanted to eat our dinner in peace.

CrystalS
06-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Oh wow!

I didn't know it would be anything like that.
I was thinking a nice sit down meal, maybe a little more "formal", lol

Hmm I think may have to ask for no antics if we do get our ADR for there.
I really want to try the skillet, but not sure if we will all be in the mood to be made fun of by the time dinner rolls around....

SnowandMittens
06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks to everyone that responded. I'm just going to let the hostess and the waiter both know at the time of check in... I warned everyone, so they know... I remeber a thread awhile ago that had someone in the group overreact when he didn't want to play the games.

Thanks so much! :-)

3boymthr
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
When we went we found that the fun was just that fun. It is loud but aside from ketchup you don't really have to participate if you don't want to. The only things we participated in were the ketchup and the crayons. While we were there no one was poked fun of but some people with an anniversary were given a "special" song and they did call out all the birthdays. If you don't want special attention paid to you make sure you DON'T wear any celebration buttons and don't mention any celebrations when making your ADRs.

ETA - for our MK day we did Tony's and I have to say that was really nice. We had the best meal of our week there.

sharadoc
06-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi. How about taking the boat from MK over to Ft. Wilderness to Trail's End Buffet? You'll get a lot of the same food as the skillet (chicken, ribs, carved meats) with NO antics at all. I think it would be the same "effort" as going to WCC and would be a safer bet.

Good luck deciding.

daisygirl902
06-15-2009, 03:37 PM
My neice and sister are painfully shy but survived the meal - and our waiter was pretty full of it :) He tended to make fun and involve us loudmouths at the table more so than the others....

However we went on a previous trip with my Step-Dad and my (now ex) brother in law who were both very very cranky through the whole meal...and the waitress made fun of them anyways - I thought it was hilarious - they apparently did not...there was a lot of grumbling for days about "money spent for a big headache during what should have been a nice meal", etc etc etc...but again it's not for everyone I guess.

Very very worth the risk of a little extra attention to get the skillet though - omg it's so good!

Lynne M
06-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh wow!

I didn't know it would be anything like that.
I was thinking a nice sit down meal, maybe a little more "formal", lol

No, I don't think you could describe WCC as formal. :) Raucous, is more like it. Yelling, hooting, banging trays, napkin waving, ringing the dinner bell, and stick pony races. It's very, very loud, and if you're looking for a quieter, 'nicer' experience, I'd recommend Kona Cafe or Grand Floridian Cafe. I've had absolutely delicious meals at both places, and the atmosphere is very peaceful and relaxing.

Sammie
06-15-2009, 04:28 PM
As others have said if you can get seated in the back area, it is wonderful, like being at another restaurant all together with the same menu.

This area overlooks the lobby, you can actually hear the lobby music and you can see the beautiful courtyard.

If you are seated in the main part of the restaurant, you will be in the area that Lynne M described.

I think they have toned it down considerablly recently though and hopefully if you make the request they will respect it.

ROEDISNEY
06-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Yes just mention it to them. It an awesome looking hotel inside to.:thumbsup2

Iceman10
06-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Oh and a word of warning...note the color of the soap in the bathroom, I have learned this the hard way.....

I will elaberate;

The 1 time we ate there our waiter was taking our drink orders. I order a nice cold tall beer and then excused myself to the bathroom as he was leaving. When I came back and sat down guess what he asked me?
"What color was the soap in the men's room?"
It was liquid but I really didn't remember. Don't usually pay attention to something like that so I said "I have no idea".

"ATTENTION EVERYONE, MR..... So and So has JUST RETURNED FROM THE BATHROOM AND DIDN"T WASH HIS HANDS...EEEEWWWWW"!!!!!!!!! and the entire restaurant followed with a grand EEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

I was laughing pretty hard, but if it were the wrong person it could p**ss them off quite a bit.

As for the other stuff, they have/had horse races with the kids and all kinds of stuff that they loved.

The waiter later thanked me for being a good sport to which I replied I used to work for Disney so I am used to being abused ;-)

tinkgurl
06-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Just tell them this and then ask if you can be seated towards the back, which is out of the main dining room.

dismama
06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
The one time we went to WCC we didn't have any antics, but we went during an off time, lunch about 3 pm. It was pretty dead in there so not any "show" going on.