PDA

View Full Version : North To Alaska

Arizona Rita
06-13-2009, 08:49 AM
We leave in one hour for Seattle and tomorrow we board NCLs Pearl for a 7nighter!:cool1:
Since Ive started on the boards Ive never been gone this long, so I will probably go throught withdrawals!:goodvibes
Will miss you all and will talk to you when we get back!
Have a great week! I know I will!:goodvibes

New England Eeyore
06-13-2009, 09:28 PM
You're probably there by now, but I hope you have a wonderful trip!

DisneyIsTerrific
06-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Ooooooh, I wish i was going too!!!!! Have a fantastic time!

YodasMom
06-14-2009, 08:58 AM
We did a 7 day cruise on NCL about 15 years ago to Alaska. It was fabulous!!
You will have a wonderful time! It's just gorgeous.

I hope you take some time afterward to explore Olympic National Park and Victoria, BC!!!

morgansmom2000
06-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Wow! Have a great week!

Lisa
06-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Have a wonderful, wonderful time.:goodvibes

DisneyIsTerrific
06-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Okay Rita, now that you are home, you need to tell us about the cruise! Was it fantastic??? I would so love to go on an Alaskan cruise.

morgansmom2000
06-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Me too! DH is *so* not interested though! Any pix? I wanna see! Deets, please!

AlexWyattMommy
06-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh, I want to see pics too!!

Hope the trip was full of wonderful memories.:cloud9:

PrincessNancy96
06-22-2009, 12:25 PM
:welcome: home RITA!!!!

How was the trip?

Arizona Rita
06-28-2009, 07:14 PM
It's been a crazy week since we got home, 2 to 3 appts a day, or lessons, etc, alot of running!
We had a great time, weather couldnt have been more perfect!
We sailed on the NCL Pearl (no not Black Pearl=(). We sailed from the 14th to the 21st and visited Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan and Victoria,B.C.
For those of you who have sailed on the DCL, believe me when I say that we are spoiled!
The ports were great, I will give a highlight from each:
Ketchikan~ Whale watching, see photo! It was amazing! The boat got as close as we could, which was pretty close and after we saw whales our skipper took us over to see something that I would think you would only see in Sea World!
Sitting on top of this bouy was an eagle, acting like he was king of the world. On the bottom half were these Harbor seals, sunning if you will. This other one was in the water and he kept swimming arounf, "barking" at the others to let him up. Then this other one comes up, looks at the first and then jumps up on top like it was nothing and the first just kept barking! It really was funny as the boat is only allowed to get within 100 feet and you could hear this guy from 100 feet away!
Skagway~ we took the train up White Pass following the Klondike trail all the way to Fraser, Canada! Just beautiful! I t makes me want to read Call of the Wild! Fraser is an artic zone so I imagine this would be similar to the Baltics!
I could have taken the train all of the way to the Yukon!
On the way back we stopped at this touristy place called "Liarsville" and it was a replica of a camp that the miners would have stopped at before they headed to the Yukon. DS referred to it as "HeeHaw H***"! I thought it was neat!
Glacier Bay~ The weather was so good that we were able to actually see John Hopkins Glacier which you cant always see. We couldnt get too close, the Harbor Seals are in birthing season.
We did see the ice beaking in spots and it was really interesting to hear it!
Banana and I took turns spotting and calling out the waterfalls we saw! There were so many!
Ketckikan~ This is what I imagined Forks to look like (You know what I mean!:goodvibes)
Banana and I went Ziplining!!!!!!!!!
Ok, she's a spider monkey and I was a wreck! And Im disappointed in myself!
Something I always wanted to do and I just couldnt get the hang of it!
See photos! Banana, right way, me, wrong way! Out of 6 times my guide had to come and get me 3 times! Kyle was so cool tho, everytime,
"What are you doing Rita, just hanging out?" They got a good tip!
Victoria~ DH and Banana went to Butchart Gardens and DS and I went around the city on a bicycle ricksha thingie. Very pretty!

You know the saying "you get what you pay for"? The price was right for the cruise. We got 2 rooms and it was ok, but small! Not the Magic! It took 2 rooms compared to the one we're used to. But the verandah was very nice and we really enjoyed it.
Shows~ For DS I think this was better. Second City was there and he got to talk to them and he got permission to go to their adult show and they were cool to him, so for a 15 year old, good. Pearl also has a comediene named David Naster, cool guy, very funny!
Staff- ok, again no Magic here. Cms really do work for those tips and you can tell! No bonding with anyone here and bare mininmum with housekeeping. Not dirty but just wasnt the same.
Food~ OMG! Guys I do not cook and dont pretend too, but even I could do better! You could pay to go to the better resturants, which we did several times, and their buffet at lunch was ok, but the desserts were tasteless and at night you would think it was purposely bad to get you to go to the resturants.
Towards the end of the week we started saying that we just wanted to go home, "To the Magic!".
Believe it or not, by the time we're ready to go to Hawaii, if NCL still has the market we will use them, but that would probablybe our last trip on them (They are the last to cruise Hawaii!).
We're not disappointed that we had a bad trip, it just wasnt what we were used to and we did go in with an open mind.
So, overall a 7 and that is mainly due to Alaska and the shows.
So, thanks for listening and I will get DH to post photos sometime tonight!
:hippie:
Rita

PrincessNancy96
06-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Sounds like you had a great time considering icky food and not so nice cms...
I can't wait to see photos!!
So glad you are back!!!

Arizona Rita
06-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Here are some of the photos from Alaska. Hope you enjoy them!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28328487@N06/sets/72157620276785389/

Arizona Rita
06-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi, me again!
Just wanted to tell you 2 things:
Thats me in the red helmet, ziplining. My body kept turning sideways and that was my major problem. The other is Banana, aka, Spider Monkey!

2) If you look at the tags, they tell you where we were at. And if you original size the Glacier pic that looks like an eye, you can see the waterfall inside! That was so cool!
:hippie:

DisneyIsTerrific
06-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Great photos AR! You were brave to do the zipline. I don't think I could do that, but I know DS and DH would be all over it! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

morgansmom2000
06-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Great pictures! I especially love the one with the rainbow.

LOL on Forks ;)