PDA

View Full Version : Clam Bake at Cape May

baw
06-13-2009, 09:07 AM
has anyone done the clam bake dinner buffet at cape may? we're doing the dining plan again this year and this looks like a fun and yummy TS option. any reviews?

MickeyNicki
06-13-2009, 09:20 AM
We have done it many times, we love it! If you click on my Oct link you will find a full review and a ton of buffet pictures. Hope you enjoy CMC!

HsvTeacher
06-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Cape May is must-do for us! We usually end up going twice during each trip. They have a great variety of food, and it's not all seafood. At the end of May, they also had crab legs on the buffet, so that was an added bonus.

hildarumpole
06-13-2009, 09:39 AM
If you like shellfish, it's a nice place. We ate there a couple weeks ago. DH ate his weight in shrimp, crab legs, clams and mussels. He loved it. The kids and I don't eat shellfish and were not very happy with the other food. Ribs were tough and drenched in bbq sauce and the carved beef was dry and flavorless. Nothing stood out as particularly good, except the service. Our waitress was terrific.

Twende
06-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Does any one know when they have crab legs and when they do not?

DD and her DH just returned from their honeymoon in Disney and said they had crab legs at their Cape May dinner but when I check the menu they are not listed.

We are going in late November early December and I would love to have some crab legs!:cool1:

baw
06-13-2009, 01:11 PM
thanks for the info everyone. i think we're going to give it a try. our group likes fish/shellfish but (most of us) aren't too crazy about ribs/beef so it sounds perfect!

lupp2217
06-13-2009, 01:18 PM

DD and her DH just returned from their honeymoon in Disney and said they had crab legs at their Cape May dinner but when I check the menu they are not listed.

We are going in late November early December and I would love to have some crab legs!:cool1:

I would like to know this too. We are going late June and the crab legs would be an added bonus and make my uncertainty go away.

HsvTeacher
06-13-2009, 01:23 PM

We ate there on May 29 and May 31. We asked about the crab legs, since they'd never had them on our previous trips. We were told that they were "testing" them, which I assume meant how much affect they had on profits.

I hope they still have them in October!

DisneyMomx7
06-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh I hope they still have the crab legs for our trip in two weeks!

DH and I love crab legs. Oh well at least I know I'll eat my money's worth of the steamed clams!

TheRustyScupper
06-13-2009, 02:24 PM
1) The crab legs are a test.
2) They want to see if the eatery can still make a good profit.
3) If people pig out on them, then they will stop.
4) If people are reasonable, then they MIGHT continue.
5) Let's face it, the restuarant still has to maintain a good margin.

UPDATE:
The trial is over and the crab legs are gone.
Now, they do the accounting to see if they want to bring them back.
Simple equation.
Did people eat more crab legs than the profit generated?

wdwmaw
06-13-2009, 03:18 PM
I also have a question, Can anybody confirm the fried fish is Thurs. also. We have had it a couple of times on Friday, we need to do CMC on Thurs. during this years trip.

Glad to hear the crab legs are back. I hope they are there when we go in Oct. We would be glad to pay a surcharge for a bucket of legs like they used to offer.

chell
06-13-2009, 04:32 PM
We loved it! I do not eat fish or seafood and had plenty of other items to eat. I hate to see another poster didn't have such a good experience when she went. I thought the baked chicken was perfectly cooked. The mac & cheese was amazing. My husband loved the ribs. He also loved all the seafood. It is now on our must do list.

HsvTeacher
06-13-2009, 05:27 PM
I also have a question, Can anybody confirm the fried fish is Thurs. also. We have had it a couple of times on Friday, we need to do CMC on Thurs. during this years trip.

Glad to hear the crab legs are back. I hope they are there when we go in Oct. We would be glad to pay a surcharge for a bucket of legs like they used to offer.

We were told they have fried fish on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. During our March and May trips, that held true. When we ate there on May 31, a Sunday, they had some kind of baked salmon dish.

Hope this helps!

inkkognito
06-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Cape May is must-do for us! We usually end up going twice during each trip. They have a great variety of food, and it's not all seafood. At the end of May, they also had crab legs on the buffet, so that was an added bonus.
Crab legs you say? Time to head back there! DH is a big fan of Cape May because he loves the mussels, but they've never had crab legs in our previous visits so I stick to the chicken (very moist and good). But I am a crab leg fanatic so I think we're going to be returning there very, very soon.

karen l
06-13-2009, 07:26 PM
We loved it! I do not eat fish or seafood and had plenty of other items to eat. I hate to see another poster didn't have such a good experience when she went. I thought the baked chicken was perfectly cooked. The mac & cheese was amazing. My husband loved the ribs. He also loved all the seafood. It is now on our must do list.

I agree!!! I enjoy some of the seafood & also love the chicken and the salads.
My family always enjoys their meals at Cape May.

cmskok
06-13-2009, 08:23 PM
My DH's favorite place is Cape May! We have eaten there several times but we have not ever seen crab legs but it would be nice to see them when we visit in Sept. Good kids choices too!

yenlee
06-13-2009, 10:22 PM
CRAB LEGS?!?!

I am so jealous. PLEASE let this be a permanent change. On the one hand, if the crab legs are even half decent, people are sure to pig out on the them, so I don't see how they'll keep their profit margins without raising the price (which would be fine by me if the crab is good). On the other hand, when I went to Cape May, I noticed that a lot of people eating there weren't even eating the clams. So maybe if there are enough landlubbers being dragged to Cape May by seafood-piggies, Disney can still make money. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

chell
06-13-2009, 10:31 PM
CRAB LEGS?!?!

I am so jealous. PLEASE let this be a permanent change. On the one hand, if the crab legs are even half decent, people are sure to pig out on the them, so I don't see how they'll keep their profit margins without raising the price (which would be fine by me if the crab is good). On the other hand, when I went to Cape May, I noticed that a lot of people eating there weren't even eating the clams. So maybe if there are enough landlubbers being dragged to Cape May by seafood-piggies, Disney can still make money. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hopefully there are enough families/couples like us - he loves seafood/fish and I don't so we would balance it for you. ;) He really wants them to have the crab legs in December. I hope they last that long. Like someone else said even a reasonable surcharge would be okay.

HsvTeacher
06-13-2009, 11:02 PM
On May 29 and 31, we had the same two-seat booth right across from the crab legs. It was interesting to see people's reactions and hear their comments. We were surprised to see that people didn't really pig out on them, but they did go through quite a lot of legs because the restaurant was packed. We still saw more people with buckets of clams and mussels than crab legs.

We overheard several people who had never eaten them and had no idea how to crack them open, which was made even more difficult by the fact that the crab crackers were late coming in.

Maybe they'll stick around for awhile...at least through October! ;)

Hazzard101
06-14-2009, 04:39 AM
1) The crab legs are a test.
2) They want to see if the eatery can still make a good profit.
3) If people pig out on them, then they will stop.
4) If people are reasonable, then they MIGHT continue.
5) Let's face it, the restuarant still has to maintain a good margin.

When we were there in late May there were people eating them and a lot more not eating them. The way I look at it, if people "pig out on them" there are still more people not "pigging out" on them so it evens out. If no one eats them then they will go away as an item that is not a winner. All you can eat places always make a very good profit because for the person who eats a great deal of food. There is a bunch more that have one or two plates. I believe they will be there for a while until the price of legs goes up.

To answer another posters question, The legs were the best we have had ever at a buffet. They were very tasty and crisp. We only had a few that were hard to crack( you know, instead of braking they just bend ) they were awesome!

DisneyMomx7
06-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Does anyone know how long the "test" will last. Please, please say for the next few weeks at least!

pixidust princess
06-14-2009, 11:09 AM
I would like to keep watch on this. I make my ADR's on July 5th and was thinking about Cape May. Crab legs would mean a definite meal there.

TXMomof3boys
06-14-2009, 11:21 AM
This is our first visit to Cape May - I was excited about the clams and mussels but now I am thrilled to hear about the crab legs! I hope they have them the night we are there. Thanks for the info. :goodvibes

disneyjunkie
06-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Can you still order crab legs if they aren't on the buffet?

disneyeveryyear
06-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Does anyone know how long the "test" will last. Please, please say for the next few weeks at least!

DD10 and I went for dinner on 6/3 and had crab legs. We thought about trying to go back another night before we left. When we checked if they still had crab legs, we were told no. They were a one week test. I am glad we made it for the test. Crab legs have to be DDs favorite food. I think she ate her weight in crab legs that night.

Our food was good, our service was mediocre.

We would definitely go back, especially if the crab legs are on the menu.

HsvTeacher
06-14-2009, 02:55 PM
DD10 and I went for dinner on 6/3 and had crab legs. We thought about trying to go back another night before we left. When we checked if they still had crab legs, we were told no. They were a one week test. I am glad we made it for the test. Crab legs have to be DDs favorite food. I think she ate her weight in crab legs that night.

Our food was good, our service was mediocre.

We would definitely go back, especially if the crab legs are on the menu.

Oh no! Say it ain't so! :scared1:

TheRustyScupper
06-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Can you still order crab legs if they aren't on the buffet?
. . . no
. . . it is a buffet, not an ala carte restaurant

When we were there in late May there were people eating them and a lot more not eating them.
. . . that is why it was a "test"
. . . if the crab legs were hit hard, good bye
. . . if they were hit easy, and still profitable, they *should* come back.

mickeynut1
06-14-2009, 07:14 PM
We LOVE Cape May for dinner :goodvibes. I can't help much as far as the seafood goes as we're not seafood eaters, but everything else is awesome and there's so much variety that anyone can find something they like ;). We make sure we do Cape May atleast once each trip :). You won't be disappointed :wizard:.

disneyjunkie
06-14-2009, 07:30 PM
. . . no
. . . it is a buffet, not an ala carte restaurant

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
. . . I know what it is
. . . we were able to pay extra for two orders of crab legs during our last trip
. . . I'm wondering if that is still an option

jana616
06-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Has anyone been on a Weds. before? We'll be there on a Weds. in September, and I wondered if anyone knew what special fish they had that day (like the friend tilapia or baked salmon on certain days.) Thanks!

Picabo
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
OOOH my gosh !!! Oh please, please let them continue the crab legs at least for the rest of the year! (We don't go till December) I've been trying to determine if it's worth it to take Disney transportation from Poly to get to BC for the Clam Bake and crab legs would definately make it worth my time and effort to get there!

CRAB LEGS?!?!

This is true - about people pigging out on the legs...but from what I can tell i don't think clams are all that expensive. At least here in my area (Northern Virginia) I can get clams and mussles pretty inexpensive. Which is why I've been hesitating giong there. The ribs would make it more worth my money to go there, not the clams/mussles. I can see them maybe raising the price $1-2 if they make it a permanant addition to the menu, but much more wouldn't be right. When we go to the beach and eat at the seafood buffet (which includes crab legs) it's about $26 per adult and kids under 5 are free. (We just polished off at least 10 plates of legs a few days ago!! haha)

Anyhow, I'm praying (HARD) that they keep the legs! Ohhhh how happy it'd make me!

chell
06-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Picabo if you want to dine at Cape May on an Epcot day it will be real easy to get there from Epcot. Or if you are staying at the Poly hop over to the MK and take a bus to the BC. Is that what you were talking about anyway? If so, sorry.

Picabo
06-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Picabo if you want to dine at Cape May on an Epcot day it will be real easy to get there from Epcot. Or if you are staying at the Poly hop over to the MK and take a bus to the BC. Is that what you were talking about anyway? If so, sorry.

Thanks chell! Yes that's what I meant. Just seems so difficult (with 2 kids in strollers) to try to get there from the Poly. But not impossible. Suppose we could do it on an EPCOT day even though there are so many yummy possibilties in WS at Epcot! THANKS!!

HsvTeacher
06-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks chell! Yes that's what I meant. Just seems so difficult (with 2 kids in strollers) to try to get there from the Poly. But not impossible. Suppose we could do it on an EPCOT day even though there are so many yummy possibilties in WS at Epcot! THANKS!!

Or you could go to Cape May on a DHS day. That's what we do since the choices there are limited. We take the boat over to Beach Club.

starstruck93
06-14-2009, 11:38 PM

Can you take the boat from the Poly to the BC? Thanks, April

PiperGirlInWondrland
06-15-2009, 12:06 AM
I really want to try this dinner, yum! :thumbsup2

disneynutz
06-15-2009, 01:37 AM
We eat at Cape May every trip and it seems to me that the price keeps going up and the food keeps getting worse. Less premium choices, the meat station has changed, and the claim shells are 50% empty. I know that this is Disney but I can now get better sea food at my local Chinese restaurant at more than half the price.

We found an all you can eat sea food buffet off site that we like. If Cape May doesn't improve, we will be spending more time off site. :sad2:

lynn46356
06-15-2009, 06:34 AM
April, sorry but you can't take the boat from Poly to the BC. If you'll have your own car, you can always drive yourself. Have a great vacation.

RMulieri
06-15-2009, 07:12 AM
. . . I know what it is
. . . we were able to pay extra for two orders of crab legs during our last trip
It USED to be an option to ask for crab legs because they were not on the buffet. That stopped in late 2007.

disneyjunkie
06-15-2009, 07:22 AM
It USED to be an option to ask for crab legs because they were not on the buffet. That stopped in late 2007.

Thank you

Hopefully they will be on the buffet in August.:wizard:

racreel
06-15-2009, 08:20 AM
We ate there on our Dec. 07 trip and it was great. We are definitely going again on our trip in October.

huntconn
06-15-2009, 08:34 AM
. . . I know what it is

:rotfl2:

Picabo
06-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Or you could go to Cape May on a DHS day. That's what we do since the choices there are limited. We take the boat over to Beach Club.

Hmmm, now that is a better option (for us) since there is NOTHING in DHS that interests us, foodwise! Didn't know you could take a boat from there to BC so that's a great possibility! THANKS!!

Hazzard101
06-15-2009, 10:15 AM
We eat at Cape May every trip and it seems to me that the price keeps going up and the food keeps getting worse. Less premium choices, the meat station has changed, and the claim shells are 50% empty. I know that this is Disney but I can now get better sea food at my local Chinese restaurant at more than half the price.

We found an all you can eat sea food buffet off site that we like. If Cape May doesn't improve, we will be spending more time off site. :sad2:

The price did go up but if you are on the dining plan it just makes it a better deal for you. The food has been better each time I have gone. We were there in Septemeber, March And late May. September is when I fell in love with the place, March is when we went twice and May is when we were forced to eat there a second time due to a free dining plan day unexpected.

The offerings were great in my opinion. They had something for everyone.
Veggies, Best mashed potatoes in the world, Mickey Mac&cheese awesome, Baked ziti, Italian sausage and peppers, The ribs were also very good. Then you hit the corner where the crab legs were. Once I got past the thought of all those poor crabs in little wheelchairs I dug in. They were out standing. They had a meat carving station then you needed to back around and start at the end of the line. Please don't be stupid and just walk in front of everyone because you are going the wrong way. All those people going the other way should be a clue that the line starts over there. Going down this line you find Soup and chowder ,mm mm good, then you will come across either baked or fried sea food depending on the day. I have yet to try any of these and not enjoy it. Then you get to the seafood pasta, to die for.
moving to the end of of the line grab a bucket or two and get yourself some clams and muscles. Dig around the bottom of the clam pan, when steaming, the clams fall out of the shells and end up in the bottom of the pan. don't forget your butter and broth. There is another section that has peel and eat shrimp cold salads and a large selection of cold offerings. Oh and don't forget the desert table around the corner. If you have left room it is a great way to end your dining journey. I guess that I really enjoyed Cape May every time I have been there but not every place is for everyone. Hope you enjoy where ever you go. :thumbsup2

Hazzard101
06-15-2009, 10:22 AM

If you don't mind sharing. What's the name of the off site place. We had done a lot of off site dining this last trip. There is a place called Millers Ale House ( Orlando's Ale House) Great food, cheap prices.

Sorry Didn't mean to Hijack the thread.......

chell
06-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Can you take the boat from the Poly to the BC? Thanks, April

April, sorry but you can't take the boat from Poly to the BC. If you'll have your own car, you can always drive yourself. Have a great vacation.

You can hop over to the MK and take a bus from there to the the BC. Or like someone else suggested head over to Cape May after a day at the Studios or as a break during a day at the Studios - you can take a bus to the BC from the Studios.

webprinter
06-15-2009, 09:00 PM
It's okay. The food is average but there is a fair amount of variety and you get filled up. We had a strange server which was part of the problem.

emmababy
06-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Last time we were there, the food wasn't that great. The prime rib was like shoe leather, the salad bar not very good. I didn't realize that the fried fish was only on certain nights, that's good to know. If the crab legs become a mainstay, then we would go again.

The one thing I don't like about Cape May is the line. It takes forever to go around the buffett. With Crystal Palace, there are two sides that serve the same things. With Cape May you have to walk around a square and wait forever.

inkkognito
06-16-2009, 01:54 AM
No crab legs when we ate there tonight. They said it was a test and that they might still show up randomly.

n2mm
06-16-2009, 07:20 AM
No crab legs when we ate there tonight. They said it was a test and that they might still show up randomly.

Well we've eaten at Cape May at least 4 or more times a year and just recently last month. Never saw a crab leg ever. The trial must've been very short since we ate there on May 15th, so barely a month ago. We'll be back to eat there again in August.

Febe
06-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi - first post here.

Is the dinner buffet at Cape May kid friendly. I am working on my ADR for our trip in September (book this sunday) and want somewhere that DH will enjoy but will have foods that DD4 will eat. I was looking at doing this as a break whilst at DHS (taking the boat).

thanks

wdwmaw
06-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi - first post here.

Is the dinner buffet at Cape May kid friendly. I am working on my ADR for our trip in September (book this sunday) and want somewhere that DH will enjoy but will have foods that DD4 will eat. I was looking at doing this as a break whilst at DHS (taking the boat).

thanks

To me they have the best kids bar on property. We eat off the little kids bar, fried chicken strips, the best mac-n-cheese and little hand size desserts. They put paper on the table so it becomes a blank canvas for the kids to draw on with crayons supplied.

inkkognito
06-16-2009, 12:04 PM
VERY kid friendly. As two childless adults, we are in the definite minority whenever we go there. As the PP said, they have a nice little kids' bar for the young 'uns who think steamed clams are yucky! The atmosphere is definitely not quiet and laid back at Cape May. It's definitely a lot of hustle and bustle, with families in the majority.

pixiedust23
06-16-2009, 02:25 PM
One of the worst meals I've ever had. I'm from NJ and we get fresh sea food all the time, esp down the shore in the summer. This food was awful! I'd say equivalent with a $5 buffet in Vegas!