PDA

View Full Version : Need Help-May have to cancel


kaismahma
06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Can anyone tell me exactly what I would need to do to cancel our trip? I just found out today that my position is going to be eliminated on 08/14. We may have to cancel, then again we may not. We do have plenty of savings. Our trip is fully paid for. We purchased thru Disney online with travel insurance. Tickets were purchased thru NWA partially with miles.

My other question would be could we down grade? Currently we are stay at CSR and upgraded to DxDP. Could we down grade to one of the values and just go with the basic free dining? If we could down grade which value would be the best?

Thanks for any words or advice. I definately did not expect this today.

msmayor
06-08-2009, 04:04 PM
First off, sorry to hear about the pending job loss.

Canceling the trip outright can most likely be done without penalty as long as you are outside of the final payment due date...otherwise, there is normally a penalty amount that is non-refundable.

The insurance may not cover it...you need to read the policy carefully to see if job loss is a covered event. Some policies will indeed cover that as long as you have been continuously employed by the same company at least three years...but read your policy carefully to find out.

Downgrading to the regular free DDP shouldn't be an issue.

As far as the airline tickets, you are at the mercy of NWA and their change fees. Be aware that in most cases, trip insurance will NOT cover tickets 'purchased' with reward miles.

Mickdeb
06-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Sorry for your job loss.
Down grading from CSR to value would depend on availability for your dates. I know that values for the first few weeks of free dining have been sold out. I would check first online before doing anything. Would just downgrading the DlxD to regular free dining, but staying at CSR save you anything significant? That could be easily done. Since you technically have a free dining ressie.

As pp stated, as long as you cancel within 46 days of your trip, there is no fee. 45 days to 6 days prior to trip there is a $100.00 fee and 5 days prior a $200.00 fee. Vacation insurance is non refundable. If a change is made to your ressie within 44 days of trip, a change fee of $50.00 is charged.

Not sure of your dates, but hope this helps.

If I was to choose a value, I would pick Pop Century.:)

EvanMaddieMouse
06-08-2009, 05:55 PM
If you do end up going, but downgrading, you may find that there is no availability at the values (Pop is my personal choice) when you search online. We had this problem back at Christmas. We had booked the Contemporary and then DH lost his job. It took me about five days of checking reservations on disneyworld.com to actually find an open Pop room---people are cancelling all the time and you just have to hit it at the right time. As soon as I saw the room availability, I called immediately and got our reservation changed. You have to be persistent, but I bet you will be able to get a value room (at one of them, not necessarily Pop). I'm sure there are a lot of people in the same boat as you, and you know some of them will cancel entirely.

If I were in your shoes, I would downgrade, get free dining, but keep the trip, especially if you stand to lose substantial $$$ because of the airfare. Have fun!