PDA

View Full Version : anybody have any luck finding sea glass??

lovetheprincesses
06-08-2009, 02:50 PM
This summer, has anyone found any sea glass? If so, which beach? I'd love to find some, but never have any luck!

StitchandPooh'sMom
06-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Yes! We found some a few weeks ago on Wrightsville Beach, NC. (Of course, you might have been asking about Florida beaches, but I couldn't tell for sure.)

Mermaid02
06-08-2009, 03:05 PM
This summer, has anyone found any sea glass? If so, which beach? I'd love to find some, but never have any luck!
No shortage here in Maine!

pigletof4
06-08-2009, 03:15 PM
No shortage along the shores of Lake Erie where we live. Best time to go is right after a storm.

vsimeone
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
We find it every year in Nags Head. Not going this year though :sad1:

Of course, we traded for a trip to the UK and Paris so I'm not TOO sad! :banana:

Best wishes! We have tons of glass jars and vases full!

UCFALUM
06-08-2009, 06:08 PM
I was JUST showing a friend new to town, what sea glass was this morning! Haven't seen much on OUR beach but the next town over, I have a special beach where there is tons! We LOVE collecting sea glass, even the 2 yo gets into finding it. So much fun and currently joke that everyone will be getting sea glass jewelry for Christmas. Great budget idea :-)

desmar9
06-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Mermaid02, where in Maine? I live in Mass and would love to find a beach somewhat close that has some!

cheriemek
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
For the past few years we have rented a cottage on Lake Erie for a week. Every morning I walked up and down the beach picking up sea glass. I found quite a bit, although most of it was green. I soon had my whole extended family looking for sea glass.

RLccweems
06-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I was JUST showing a friend new to town, what sea glass was this morning! Haven't seen much on OUR beach but the next town over, I have a special beach where there is tons! We LOVE collecting sea glass, even the 2 yo gets into finding it. So much fun and currently joke that everyone will be getting sea glass jewelry for Christmas. Great budget idea :-)

It's funny you sure post this...I was just telling my dd about Sea Glass. She wanted to know what it was and what it looked like. Being land locked in Oklahoma she'll never see it anytime around here soon.

And I would love sea glass jewelry for Chirstmas!!:flower3:

Mickey527
06-09-2009, 12:47 AM
there is a web site devoted to Sea Glass that sends me stuff all the time but I usually delete it after reading. I will try and post it next time I get it. Some of the glass that people post there is so beautiful. Red and yellow and pink, along with some beautiful blues. they also have people who make their own jewlery and will make jewelry out of sea glass that you send to them.
I have only found brown and green glass at the beaches near me.
There is a beach near me, in Stratford that has been closed for many years. The only access bridge burned down and has never been replaced. My ex in-laws had a cottage there before the town took back the land. I used to find some great glass there. I would kill to get back there and find some glass but if you get caught on the island it is jail time since some people have been setting fires to the abandoned cottages.

rflorek
06-09-2009, 06:01 AM
I buy the "sea glass" at Michael's :rolleyes1- I can get so much more of it that trying to find it myself - especially at $1.99 per bag.:goodvibes

lovetheprincesses
06-09-2009, 08:12 AM
WOW! Wish I could find some; sounds like it is mainly northeastern beaches then. I was actually speaking of FL, AL. I have NEVER seen any there. I had begun to think it was a myth! :)

Mermaid02
06-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Mermaid02, where in Maine? I live in Mass and would love to find a beach somewhat close that has some!
Mount Desert Island is mostly where we go-but I have family in Penobscot too and still find it there on my relatives shores....

My5Mouseketeers
06-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I was on the beach (Long Branch, NJ) yesterday with 20 kindergartners, they probably found 15 pieces total.

EpcotSweetHrts0512
06-09-2009, 11:00 AM
WOW! Wish I could find some; sounds like it is mainly northeastern beaches then. I was actually speaking of FL, AL. I have NEVER seen any there. I had begun to think it was a myth! :)

Yeah, we go down to Panama City Beach, Pensacola, and Destin all the time and I've never seen any sea glass. I wonder why we don't get any down here? :confused:

PEIMother
06-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Lots here in PEI, Canada! Of course, we are an island and at the Western tip
where I am, we are only 1 mile from a beach in three directions! We take a trip to the beach 2 - 3 evenings a week (to get the kids ready for walking a lot at Disney World) and usually come home with 40 - 50 pieces.