PDA

View Full Version : Pack groceries for Disney trip in check in luggage?

momsavealot
06-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi! We're flying and we each still get one bag FREE to check in which means 6 bags for my crew. I was thinking of packing one with food for our room to save money while in Disney. Has anyone done that? and if so, what do you pack?

nunzia
06-08-2009, 08:39 AM
There was a pretty good thread on this awhile back. I plan on doing the same. Alot of people packed what you'd expect, dry goods, etc, but the surprising thing, to me, was freezing yogurt and packing it in a little cooler bag with other cold things like string chese. I didn't know yogurt would freeze well..I plan on doing this. Also bringing PB&J for my DH who eats it every day. Also, some people were saying they packed bread in aplastic container to avoid smooshing..will also bring Spam, and snack type things, a small griddle, etc. We hope to have breakfast in our room (OKW) some days and maybe a lunch or dinner or two.

mward73
06-08-2009, 08:46 AM
We're also doing this. We get 2 free bags each (4 of us). We're going to get a sturdy box and use that for 1 of the checked bags - I'll put canned goods, spaghetti, snacks, breakfast foods, etc in it. I'll make sure it doesn't end up weighing more than we can carry (I think the airline says 50lbs, which is more than I want to carry anyway). If need be, we'll do 2 boxes of food. Nothing perishable like milk - we'll order that down there and get it delivered with water, fruit, etc. We have a full kitchen down there and with 2 small kids (4mo and 3 yrs) and my mom going, we figured on eating in once a day in addition to breakfast most days. We can take snacks into the parks with us.

I didn't want to pack suitcases because I don't want to drag them back. With the boxes, I can just trash them down there and have less to bring home. We never end up with as many suitcases as we can have - the kids will share one and DH and I usually share one. With laundry in our room as well, we're not worried about packing too many clothes - I'd rather have the food! lol

cepmom
06-08-2009, 09:13 AM
we always pack extra food in our bags. We fly Southwest and thankfully, they still allow two checked bags per person. I pack things like Fiber One bars, pop tarts, granola bars, trail mix, cookies, crackers, fruit that won't squish easily, (usually apples, maybe bananas if they are really green), cereal, and the last time because we didn't have a fridge, I bought shelf stable milk in juice box type boxes, I wrapped them in a towel, then in a gallon size ziploc bag in case the leaked, but they were fine. I put anything that might get crushed or crumbly in a plastic shoe box. Everything goes in to a duffle bag to be checked.

I have Brita filter bottles, so we use those instead of ordering a case of water, and we also buy the refillable mugs when we get there so there are options for something other than water to drink.

singnring
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
We did this once. It was great!

My suitacse was soft-sided, so I used sturdy cardboard to strengthen and support it all around. Cut pieces to fit top & bottom.

I bent the cardboard so that one piece wrapped up the front and back sides, and one went up the ends so that the top or bottom couldn't get pushed in.

So each was shaped like a square cornered U.

Worked like a charm!

I packed everything imaginable as long as it was non-perishable.

Any liquid-like substance went in a ziploc for safety in case of leaks.

We had all the food we needed and it saved a trip out into town to Wally-world.

Not food related, but another thing I am always sure to pack is small ziplocs with one load worth of powdered laundry soap. Prices for it @ WDW are crazy.

momsavealot
06-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Wow! These are great tips! I definitely like the idea of using a box rather than a suitcase so I don't have to check it in on the way back. Never would have thought of that! I plan on bringing pop tarts, juice boxes, frozen yogurt sticks and lots of munchies so we have something in the room at all times. And of course, coffee!

momsavealot
06-08-2009, 10:05 AM

My suitacse was soft-sided, so I used sturdy cardboard to strengthen and support it all around. Cut pieces to fit top & bottom.

I bent the cardboard so that one piece wrapped up the front and back sides, and one went up the ends so that the top or bottom couldn't get pushed in.

Worked like a charm!

Not food related, but another thing I am always sure to pack is small ziplocs with one load worth of powdered laundry soap. Prices for it @ WDW are crazy.

Ditto that! Ziplock bags are the best! Great for bringing snacks into the park, taking leftovers back to the resort, sticking wet bathing suits in, so suntan lotion won't leak, etc. etc. Now that they make huge Ziplocs, I can put some of my food in there that might leak. Don't want luggage people opening my box!!!

cepmom
06-08-2009, 10:05 AM
another thing you could do if you don't want to use a box or check an empty suitcase on the way back....if you have nesting luggage, you could fill one with food items for the trip down, then on the way back nest the smaller one (filled with your clothing) inside the larger empty bag.

EvanMaddieMouse
06-08-2009, 10:06 AM
We have brought boxes of cereal, granola bars, of course lots of candy, peanut butter and jelly (jelly goes in a big ziplock "just in case"), fruit snacks and juice pouches (like Capri Sun, also wrapped in plastic). We do, however, make the stop for bread, lunchmeat, milk, and soda. I'm all about saving where I can. And in case anyone read the coupon thread, yes, the coupon box comes along as well! :lmao:

EvanMaddieMouse
06-08-2009, 10:08 AM
another thing you could do if you don't want to use a box or check an empty suitcase on the way back....if you have nesting luggage, you could fill one with food items for the trip down, then on the way back nest the smaller one (filled with your clothing) inside the larger empty bag.

Or you could use the "extra" suitcase for all the Disney souvenirs you buy---you know you want to!

Waseller77
06-08-2009, 10:09 AM
We do the same as others have mentioned. We have 4 bags allowed (4 travelers), but 2 of them are children. So we pack 1 bag for them to share and use the spare large duffel for food. We plan to eat one counter service per day and eat breakfast and one meal in our room (we're usually in a 1 bedroom, so we have a kitchen). I pack cereal, pop tarts, granola bars, bread, hamburger buns & english muffins in plastic shoe box, peanut butter, jelly, mac & cheese, pasta, sauce, fruit snacks, frozen deli meat and cheese in a collapsible cooler, juice boxes, bottled water. We diet coke cans, milk and fruits once we arrive. Since doing this, we have saved a lot of money on food while at Disney!

cepmom
06-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Worked like a charm!

yup...ziplocs are your friend haha! I bring down tons of extra ziplocs when we go to. Pack snacks in them, sun block, an extra one to put camera and phone in for wet riddes (Kali anyone??)

Also, I don't usually use powdered detergent, but I do bring really small bottles of All concentrated laundry detergent (found at Target in the travel section for $1) to do laundry. Each bottle does two loads...I had some coupons a while back for $1 any size All, so I got a bunch of them for free!

I bring a couple fabric softener sheets too and a roll of quarters. I always seem to do a load (or 4 :rolleyes:)of laundry while we're there :upsidedow

cepmom
06-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Or you could use the "extra" suitcase for all the Disney souvenirs you buy---you know you want to!

ooooh....good idea!! I am going to be in WDW for my b'day this trip so I am going to get my Birthday Gift Card (instead of the one day pass). $75 to do souvenir shopping!! :woohoo:

jakoky
06-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi there, we were in DL in may for 10 amazing nights....We are a family of 5, with 3 teenagers....We packed a large suitcase full of food-granola bars, fruit snacks, fruit cups, etc....Returning home it was full from everything we bought...with 3 teenagers and packing lots of snacks, it meant we could do some good shopping!!! :cool1:

Debbie-TN
06-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Walmart sells these great duffel bags that fold and zip flat when you're not using it. They come in two sizes. I always take it with me in case I buy too much stuff or just can't get everything folded back flat(who wants to fold dirty clothes). They are in the travel section. You could take it full, and fold it up if you didn't need it on the way back home.

TMWilson7196
06-09-2009, 09:35 AM
We pack food all the time when flying to WDW. Word of advice if taking canned goods your suitcase will most likely be searched. We took a can one trip and our bag was searched. I guess the cans set off the detectors. We use hard plastic containers for anything we don't want smashed or broken.

momsavealot
06-09-2009, 05:00 PM
We pack food all the time when flying to WDW. Word of advice if taking canned goods your suitcase will most likely be searched. We took a can one trip and our bag was searched. I guess the cans set off the detectors. We use hard plastic containers for anything we don't want smashed or broken.

Thanks for the warning!!! I'm going to start making my list of food to bring now.

dottiegirl
06-09-2009, 09:52 PM
I, also, have used an extra bag as a "goody" bag- however, I'm confused??? I fly often, and have never been able to get peanut butter, parmalat milk, canned goods (anything but dry goods) without being searched and removed from my bags. I have flown spirit and airtran and delta. maybe because I don't "check" bags- I only use carry-on.How is it that it works for others here?:rolleyes:

cepmom
06-09-2009, 10:12 PM
I, also, have used an extra bag as a "goody" bag- however, I'm confused??? I fly often, and have never been able to get peanut butter, parmalat milk, canned goods (anything but dry goods) without being searched and removed from my bags. I have flown spirit and airtran and delta. maybe because I don't "check" bags- I only use carry-on.How is it that it works for others here?:rolleyes:

we put all our food items in our checked luggage

singnring
06-09-2009, 10:31 PM

We only put these items in a checked bag.

If you put them in your carry-on, you will be searched.

OP stated she was checking bags, so I think most of us are responding to that scenario.

I also take a backpack with snacks for the flight. But I am certain to only pack "safe" items in it.

We use, yes, ziplocs :thumbsup2, to put together snack baggies for everyone. That way, we all have our chosen favorites for on the flight, and I just pass out the bags to the appropriate person!

We also take empty water bottles thru the security check, then find a snack counter on the other side and get them filled w/water for on the flight.

I refuse to pay the inflated in-flight snack/drink prices.

Call me cheap, but I have better ways of spending the $$ my DH works so hard to earn!!!

PolyHereWeCome
06-09-2009, 11:33 PM
We love packing peanut butter and sandwich bread in checked luggage -- do it every time and it saves $$ and time/convenience! We pack an unstarted jar of pb (but still put it in a ziplock bag just in case it were to crack) and use those hard-sided ziplock sandwich containers (each holds 4 slices and they are flat so pack well). Also pack apples, snack bars, candy, cookies, Cheerios, oatmeal (assuming either room or food court has a microwave), and Pringles, which travel well in those tubes. Has really cut down on paying for those impulsive overpriced snacks in the parks!

2littleprincesses
06-10-2009, 07:58 AM
We are going during free dining so just wondering how many snacks to bring? My dds are snackers and would rather snack all day then eat big meals. I was planning on packing a suitcase full, but don't know how much I will need since people keep saying that they did not use all their credits for dining. Thanks!

nunzia
06-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Walmart sells these great duffel bags that fold and zip flat when you're not using it. They come in two sizes. I always take it with me in case I buy too much stuff or just can't get everything folded back flat(who wants to fold dirty clothes). They are in the travel section. You could take it full, and fold it up if you didn't need it on the way back home.

That's a great idea. We got this type of duffel on our ABD trip and now I know what to use it for :)

beccasmom
06-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I used to freeze bacon and some other items and bring them, but have stopped in recent years because of the weight restrictions. We still bring peanut butter, extra coffee, coffee filters and packs of Crystal Light, but that's about it.

singnring
06-10-2009, 09:30 AM
We are going during free dining so just wondering how many snacks to bring? My dds are snackers and would rather snack all day then eat big meals. I was planning on packing a suitcase full, but don't know how much I will need since people keep saying that they did not use all their credits for dining. Thanks!

Last Sep when on free dining, we were full the entire time we were there.

We had taken all of our usual snacks and hardly touched them.

So it depends on how you are planning to use the DP.

We had a breakfast buffet each day, then our snack was usually used mid-afternoon.

Come dinnertime, we had to force ourselves to eat our CS meal!

Debbie-TN
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
They will make you throw away peanut butter if it's in your carryon. My cousin accidentally put a jar of peanut butter and a jar of honey in her carryon. She had bought them at the Walmart in Kissimmee and ate them during our stay. When they saw them on the x-ray machine, they had to throw them away.

LKHomemail
06-12-2009, 12:38 AM
i'm sure tsa classifies full size PB and J as a "liquid" lol. especially , since they get to take the stuff home. you will be okay if you check your bag. you can't carry "liquids" on board. interesting, if you could put your PB and J into your "medical bag" lol.

i know you can bring the small peanut butter, smuckers makes the individual 3/4 of an ounce peanut butter and dickensons jelly's have the 1/2 oz. size. most hotels have them at the free breakfast bars. i always take a couple of each and have them on hand. you can buy them in some company cafeteria's. you can either bring your crackers or a bagel or buy one in the terminal and make a snack with your pb and j for your flights. i've never been hassled about the little samples. i have brought a jar of pb and j , mixed up, goober (strawberry jelly and pb) i think it's called and gotten that through checked baggage. the aldi store makes a grape jelly/ pb combination jar and it is plastic instead of glass. much better for traveling. i prefer the little sample sizes unless it is a longer trip and i want some pbj on hand for the hotel room.

buzz5985
06-12-2009, 03:54 AM
We use gardengrocer.com, they deliver your groceries to your room for a low fee.

dawnball
06-12-2009, 08:28 AM
I mostly take things that are unobtainable in Florida. My daughter is on a medically-restricted (gluten free) diet, and so I take things like her preferred gluten free bread, gluten free animal cookies, gluten free crackers, and the kind of muenster cheese she likes that we can't get in Florida. Then I augment it once we're there with a jar of peanut butter, a jar of jelly, some bologna and standard snacky things.

She has a hard time with the gluten free options in the parks (mostly because they're so different from what she eats at home that they don't meet her expectations), so PB&J or bologna and cheese (in the room only) are backup options for "I ordered food and didn't like it, Mom" or "I can't wait for them to make me safe food, Mom!"

kaytieeldr
06-12-2009, 09:09 AM
i'm sure tsa classifies full size PB and J as a "liquid" lol. especially , since they get to take the stuff home. Liquid/paste/gel. They DON'T 'get to take it home'. It all gets thrown away. Think about it - while some people transport never-opened items, others (see post 26) are open, and used.

you can either bring your crackers or a bagel or buy one in the terminal and make a snack with your pb and j for your flights. Or you can put together the bagel and fillings at home, and bring it to/through security with you.

kaytieeldr
06-12-2009, 09:13 AM
I, also, have used an extra bag as a "goody" bag- however, I'm confused??? I fly often, and have never been able to get peanut butter, parmalat milk, canned goods (anything but dry goods) without being searched and removed from my bags. Respectfully - fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. Air travelers who fly often and have once had banned items confiscated can reasonably expected to know NOT to attempt to carry on those and similar items on future flights. Five minutes at www.tsa.gov before packing would inform the potential passenger of restrictions.

Chicago526
06-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Also be sure not to make you bags (all of them, not just the food bag/box) too heavy. Most airlines charge fees for overweight bags, usually starting around 50 pounds or so. Check your airline's website to get the exact weight requirements and fees.

cmcclenaghan
06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
These are all great ideas! I was worried about breakfast foods and milk. Where do you buy milk on property?

ExPirateShopGirl
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
They now have dryer-sheet sized All-in-one laundry detergent, softener and anti-static cling sheets. One sheet per load and the sheet goes from the washer to the dryer with the clothes. You can easily fit 3 or 4 sheets into a quart sized baggie and either put in your carry-on or checked luggage. I carry one with my carry-on luggage wherever I travel just in case, although I don't generally do laundry on vacation. Sometimes you have to.

I also save the trouble of going out of my way to get a roll of quarters by placing a bunch of them into an empty Airborne tube. We always leave the tube in the rental car for tolls but it can certainly be used for coin laundry.

Also, I don't usually use powdered detergent, but I do bring really small bottles of All concentrated laundry detergent (found at Target in the travel section for $1) to do laundry. Each bottle does two loads...I had some coupons a while back for $1 any size All, so I got a bunch of them for free!

I bring a couple fabric softener sheets too and a roll of quarters. I always seem to do a load (or 4 :rolleyes:)of laundry while we're there :upsidedow

ExPirateShopGirl
06-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Do not bring a suitcase full. A complete waste. A box or two of granola bars or fruit snacks is MORE than enough.

Shelly F - Ohio
06-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Milk can be bought at most resort gift shops. I know for sure the DVC resorts have a small amount of grocery items such as milk, eggs, cheese, beer, wine, sandwiches, fruits, yogurt. But I am not sure about the moderate or value resorts.
Can someone else comment on this matter?

These are all great ideas! I was worried about breakfast foods and milk. Where do you buy milk on property?

cepmom
06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
They now have dryer-sheet sized All-in-one laundry detergent, softener and anti-static cling sheets. One sheet per load and the sheet goes from the washer to the dryer with the clothes. You can easily fit 3 or 4 sheets into a quart sized baggie and either put in your carry-on or checked luggage. I carry one with my carry-on luggage wherever I travel just in case, although I don't generally do laundry on vacation. Sometimes you have to.

I also save the trouble of going out of my way to get a roll of quarters by placing a bunch of them into an empty Airborne tube. We always leave the tube in the rental car for tolls but it can certainly be used for coin laundry.
yup, I saw those last week in the store. I printed off a couple of coupons to get some when I find a good deal. It sounds like a great idea!

I used to do the same thing with the quarters, except I used an empty M&M tube. I try not to put the coins in my carry on luggage like that anymore though, becuase the last time I did, it warranted an additional search at security. The scanner saw something dense inthe bottom of my bag, but they could not identify what it was. So now they just go in a ziploc bag in my carry on.

stacielee
06-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Also be sure not to make you bags (all of them, not just the food bag/box) too heavy. Most airlines charge fees for overweight bags, usually starting around 50 pounds or so. Check your airline's website to get the exact weight requirements and fees.

We always pack a box when we go somewhere, especially since I have 3 teenagers!! We try to keep the box just in case we need it to carry stuff we've bought. Last Christmas, we used the box for clothes and packed gifts in our luggage. Along with checking the weight, also check the dimensions of your box; that is limited as well.

I just got some as well, it's Purex. I'll only use it for traveling, it's kind of expensive to use as everyday laundry detergent/fabric softener.

GOOFY4DONALD
06-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Do not bring a suitcase full. A complete waste. A box or two of granola bars or fruit snacks is MORE than enough. I am quoting you because this needs repeating. We stayed at the cabins on our last trip and I ad a great idea that the kids would eat while we were getting ready. They grabbed a pop tart and played outside until we left. Mousekeeping received and extra tip at the end of our trip...not only did we leave cash we left, at least, a weeks worth of unopened breakfast items. This trip I am packing 2 boxes of poptart and that is it.