PDA

View Full Version : Best cheap cell phone plan that's not pay-as-you-go?

TiffanyK
06-07-2009, 09:36 AM
We've been using tracfone for several years, but my dd is now using more minutes and we wonder if a regular plan might make more sense.

I've got 3 cell phone users:
me - I use less than 100 minutes/month
dd - uses more than 100min/month and likes to text a lot
ds - doesn't really use his phone, but carries it so he can call if he needs to

I have no idea how to even begin shopping for a plan. It seems confusing. Any tips or advice for me?

ajk912
06-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Cell phone plans are always changing, so it's hard to really get a good idea on a public message board.

I know my plan is discontinued now that Alltel no longer exists, but I pay about $102 a month after taxes for 2 phones, 1100 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends and 10 circle numbers, and 1000 texts per phone and insurance on each line.

I would start with the local places (ours is Ntelos), they seem to be the cheapest but the coverage is so-so. Then possible Tmobile is the second cheapest, then AT&T and then Verizon. But, the more expensive you go..the coverage seems to be better, so you have to pick what's most important to you.

Good luck!

msmayor
06-07-2009, 12:05 PM
I have four phones on a T-Mobile My Faves Family plan.

700 shared minutes, unlimited texting for all phones. Free T-Mobile to T-Mobile calls, free calls to each phone's five "faves" numbers outside of the T-Mobile network.

I pay $114 per month total...that includes all the taxes.

mzlee
06-07-2009, 02:00 PM
It really depends on how much do you want to spend a month. You just have to find the best plan that fits your budget.

I have three cell phone users: Me, DH, & DS13. We have US Cellular and share 1000 minutes and have 250 text each. We also have free incoming calls and free incoming texts, free nights (after 7pm), and free weekends. We pay $116/mo including taxes.