PDA

View Full Version : WL Villas or Old Key West?

sarehm
06-19-2002, 09:34 AM
I need help on deciding between a 1 bedroom at OKW or WL. I know WL villas are newer. Any recommendations would be helpful! Thanks!

CarolMN
06-19-2002, 10:41 AM
Those are both beautiful resorts. You can't go wrong no matter which you choose. Here are some differences that may help you to decide:

OKW has much bigger 1 bedroom units than VWL. It has a water taxi to DD. You can park your car right outside your door.

VWL has boat transportation to the MK. It is close to Ft. Wilderness. VWL shares the hotel features of WL - i.e., a feature pool with slide, several restaurants, shops and an impressive lobby.

HTH a little. I'm sure several others will chime in.

RweTHEREyet
06-19-2002, 01:25 PM
I can honestly say that VWL would be my last pick of all the DVC resorts. It is very dark and makes you feel that you need your snow boots before going outside. I am not saying I would not stay there, but I would prefer one of the other resorts first. I will also add the disclaimer that I have not stayed in VWL, but I did tour the models in April. Previous to touring the model I thought I would want to own there, but definitely not after seeing how dark the furnishings and woodwork are.

wdwnut
06-19-2002, 02:48 PM
hi: Carol gave you the positives for each resort. i think it will depend on what time of year you'll be going and what park(s) you'll be spending the most time in. either of those 2 resorts are wonderfully relaxing as far as atmosphere goes. if you want to check out the pictures of each, look at www.dvcmagic.com or www.ourlaughingplace.com each resort is themed very differently, and both are very nice.

Samsma
06-19-2002, 05:44 PM
We stayed at OKW last year for a week, in a 1 bedroom. It was very nice, just a little spread out for my taste. Very quiet, transportion was good. The only thing I didn't like was the proximity to pools. We "had" to ride a bus to get to the main pool. It was pretty, but not anything special. Probably about a 1/2 mi walk from our villa, too much in flip-flops. The quiet pool nearest us was about two groups of buildings away. A little too far for any convenience at all. The room was great, nice layout, great tub, and I loved having a washer and dryer. No laundry for the night we got home. And as someone mentioned, we parked right outside our door. I don't know about the parking for any other DVC properties.

TWOOD
06-19-2002, 06:05 PM
My DD & I just completed a stay @ VWL in a studio and we LOVED it! I like the cozy, rustic feel of the lobby and the peaceful quiet on the balcony that looked out into the woods. Plus, you have all of the WL amenities: pool w/ slide, quiet pool right outside the villas, boat & bike rentals, and the WL restaurants. I rented points and can't wait to return!

DeeP
06-19-2002, 06:21 PM
A lot depends on what type of vacation you are planning. Do you have young children and will be at MK alot? Then VWL would be your best choice. Are you planning a laid back quiet trip with little time spent at the parks then OKW would be a better choice. VWL is more conveniently located and has all the deluxe hotel resort amenities, OKW is more quiet, laid back is far away from the hustle and bustle of parks, has 1 restaurant and a condo type atmosphere. Both resorts are very nice but also very different.

PamOKW
06-19-2002, 10:04 PM
VWL is more conveniently located

Don't take this to mean that OKW is not conveniently located. While all transportation to parks is by bus, it is centrally located to Epcot/MGM/MK and is a boat ride or bus ride to DD. Of course, AK is across property from either VWL or OKW.

VWL will offer you somewhat greater convenience to MK but not significantly better to any other park. I would go with the theming that "calls" to you. Some folks love the rustic and others want tropical when in Florida.

Alice Sr.
06-20-2002, 07:21 AM
OKW, the 1 bedrooms are wonderful, lots of windows, great balcony, the location is convenient. Great atmosphere.

Alice

Took
06-21-2002, 09:38 PM
Rooms at OKW have lots of space. BUT I have to agree with Samsma; the resort was too spread out and inconvenient. My DH said he doesn't want to stay there again.

Cinderella
06-22-2002, 02:39 AM
I agree with Pam - go with the theming you prefer. OKW is beautiful and that's where I would choose to stay during the Summer and VWL is lovely in the winter. Both resorts are lovely so you can't go wrong.

OKW rooms are larger and VWL has the convenience of the MK boat. Will you be taking a car? At OKW you can park your car outside your villa.

Another consideration is the pool. Is a pool slide important to your kids? VWL has a slide and OKW doesn't. Good luck deciding. I am sure you will have a great trip whichever one you choose.

PADVCmember@OKW
06-22-2002, 09:20 AM
Gotta go with OKW!

Simba's Mom
06-23-2002, 06:49 PM
We just returned after splitting a stay between VWL and OKW. Theming at VWL is the best, but next time we'll visit Iron Spike Rm and the lobby during the day and return to our room at OKW. Why? OKW is so much more relaxing and quiet. We found VWL noisy with people up and down the halls all night. Also, the CM we encountered at OKW were very friendly and helpful, while the CMs at WL we encountered were universally rude and had "take it our leave it" attitudes. Many mistakes and they were never taught the phrase "I'm sorry we screwed up" (can you tell we had a bad time there?) It's a shame-WL is beautiful!

tax58
06-26-2002, 04:16 PM
We've always loved this size of the 1br at OKW and how quiet the resort is.

TigrLvsPooh
06-26-2002, 07:34 PM
OKW!!!! :D I don't think anything is better (IMO). ;)

Boardwalk Garry
06-26-2002, 10:22 PM
We stayed at OKW for the first time in May. While we enjoyed the size of the 1BR there and the quiet atmosphere, we really didn't feel like we were at Disney when we were at our room. While that is a plus to some people, we want to feel like we are AT Disney 24 hrs. a day.

In short, if you want to feel like you are at a condo anywhere in Florida, go with OKW. If you want to feel like you are in Disney 24/7, go with VWL.

Also, remember that if you don't get a first floor room at OKW, you'll be trudging up flights of stairs to your room after doing the parks.

Richyams
06-26-2002, 11:31 PM
Betcha I can get from my car parked right in front of my unit to a third floor room at OKW in one tenth the time you could get from your car to your room at BWV, or even VWL.

TigrLvsPooh
06-27-2002, 12:26 AM
No trudging upstairs in buildings 62, 63, and 64! ;) We parked our car right in front of our unit, jumped on the elevator, and walked right into our room.

I really don't care for the VWL... too dark and woodsy. When I'm in Florida I want to feel like I'm in Florida. :D

Actually, maybe it's better to not stay at OKW, I don't want it to become too popular! ;)

Uncleromulus
06-27-2002, 06:42 AM
There are some stairs if you get a 2nd or 3rd floor unit at OKW. But it ain't like you're climbing the Washington Monument!! We took my Mother -in Law down in December and had a 3'rd floor unit. She had no problems whatsoever in using the stairs. In fact--I think it was GOOD for her!!
I agree that OKW is "better"--especially if you have a car.
But the pools!! Oh, the pools!! Pretty sad. If the pool experience figures into your plans, then you might prefer VWL.

Boardwalk Garry
06-27-2002, 03:58 PM
Sure felt like the Washington Monument when we were taking the luggage or groceries up the stairs!