PDA

View Full Version : Free Lunch from strangers!

BrightScouter
06-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Had to tell everyone. We went into the parks this morning and got in line at the ABC commissary right before they were scheduled to open. A couple came up and asked if we were on the dining plan and we said no. they asked if they could buy us lunch and we said yes! They were leaving in an hour and had 6 lunch credits left. So, we got a free lunch today!!!

Those of you on DDP, pass it on! I don't think I will ever buy it, since it just doesn't seem to work for us. But, if I ever do, I will definitely pass on anything we have left.

BridgetBordeaux
06-06-2009, 04:25 PM
That is really cool!

lisajl
06-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey...that is what the Disney magic is all about! How nice of them.

JerseyMamaBear
06-06-2009, 04:38 PM
:thumbsup2

jemgumby
06-06-2009, 04:40 PM
We had that happen to us a couple of years ago. The nice man and his wife had too many dining credits left and bought DH, me and DD our lunch. It's so nice when people do that and definitely something I will try to do for others in the future!!! Glad it happend to you too!

java
06-06-2009, 04:53 PM
That's very nice! Glad you got to enjoy the wealth!:thumbsup2

a1tinkfans
06-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey, we did that too! We had extra that we knew we couldn't use up so we "shared" a table and shared our CS meals.

Great to think the MAGIC endures...........:thumbsup2

pilesoflaundry
06-06-2009, 05:17 PM
How nice :).

EpcotIsMyFave
06-06-2009, 08:12 PM
What a great way to spread that pixie dust! BTW - I see you are from Lowell! I'm about an hour west of you!

minnieluvzmickey
06-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I did this once at AKL. I was buying my breakfast at Mara and still had 3 CS left that would go to waste so I bought the next three people in line behind me breakfast. They were so happy and it felt great to spread some pixie dust.

Shleedogg
06-06-2009, 08:47 PM
How nice! We actually had a family offer to buy us lunch when we were at ASSp in Jan. We were walking through the food ct area on our way back to our room and a man asked if we had had lunch yet and we said yes. Apparently he forgot he had the DDP and had been paying for meals oop all week! :confused3. He had been using up credits by buying a lot of snacks so sent us away with a giant bag of Cheetos. It was so nice of him!

hrh_disney_queen
06-06-2009, 08:56 PM
About 4 years ago a guy gave DH 6 vouchers for free CS meals while I was in line checking in. He said they were leaving and couldn't use them. I don't know what they did to get vouchers around 4 years ago, is that how they did the DP back then? Anyway, we certainly appreciated it, and thought of his kindness every time we used one.:goodvibes

mc'smommy
06-06-2009, 08:59 PM
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

AWESOME !!

teresajoy
06-06-2009, 09:13 PM
That is so wonderful!!!! I love stories like this!!

About 4 years ago a guy gave DH 6 vouchers for free CS meals while I was in line checking in. He said they were leaving and couldn't use them. I don't know what they did to get vouchers around 4 years ago, is that how they did the DP back then? Anyway, we certainly appreciated it, and thought of his kindness every time we used one.:goodvibes

They use to sell dining vouchers online from various places. They were slightly discounted and included the tip too. When we went to CRT in 2004 we used them to pay for our meals.

ETA: When my son's friend went to Disney in April (with the band) he brought back a meal voucher that he had left over. He gave it to Corey. I assume it was a special thing they do for schools?

brymolmom
06-06-2009, 09:21 PM
I have tried but failed. :(

A couple years ago, new to the DP and clueless - we ended up with extra CS credits.

On our last day I decided I would buy something for someone at POP's food court. So I go there and grab what I need and get in line behind a couple. Well, I started to ask them if I could buy them lunch and, unfortunately, they did not speak English (or not very well) - so I'm afraid I totally confused them and it did not go well. I tried for a couple minutes still to mime what I wanted to do - but ended up not getting through. I tried the guy behind me too - but he had the DP and didn't need the credits! At this point, sad and defeated, I left the food court, and WDW, with a few unused credits.

teresajoy
06-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I have tried but failed. :(

A couple years ago, new to the DP and clueless - we ended up with extra CS credits.

On our last day I decided I would buy something for someone at POP's food court. So I go there and grab what I need and get in line behind a couple. Well, I started to ask them if I could buy them lunch and, unfortunately, they did not speak English (or not very well) - so I'm afraid I totally confused them and it did not go well. I tried for a couple minutes still to mime what I wanted to do - but ended up not getting through. I tried the guy behind me too - but he had the DP and didn't need the credits! At this point, sad and defeated, I left the food court, and WDW, with a few unused credits.

That is both, sad and kind of funny! What a wonderful nice thing that you tried to do!! I wish I had been in line in front or behind you!! :thumbsup2

hrh_disney_queen
06-06-2009, 09:42 PM
That is so wonderful!!!! I love stories like this!!

They use to sell dining vouchers online from various places. They were slightly discounted and included the tip too. When we went to CRT in 2004 we used them to pay for our meals.

ETA: When my son's friend went to Disney in April (with the band) he brought back a meal voucher that he had left over. He gave it to Corey. I assume it was a special thing they do for schools?

Yes, I think that when DS11 went to WDW a couple of weeks ago with school, the tour group gave them meal vouchers for TS and CS.

minnie mouse
06-06-2009, 09:44 PM
We have done this the last two years. It seems we always end up with 4 extra counter service. So the last day we are there we find a family of four and buy them lunch. It is better than letting them go to waste and it makes someone day, so it's a win - win situation.

ClarabelleCowFan
06-06-2009, 10:41 PM
We did this one year on free dining. We had extra CS credits so we ended up buying lunch at Seasons for a couple we met in line for Soarin'. Turned out they were from the same town and only lived a few miles away from us. We loved being able to "treat" them.

maddiesmom0116
06-07-2009, 07:50 AM
I have done this several times too. We had a nice couple do this for us once at Sci Fi that got us started.We never use all of our credits, we always do deluxe and seem to always have a meal we skip. I also give out snacks when I am buying my mass qty at the end of the trip to whoever gets stuck behind me in line.

FLUFFYCAT
06-07-2009, 08:01 AM
How wonderful to hear there is so many generous and thoughtful people.:goodvibes I too had a sweet person that came up to me when I was just checking into a disney hotel and she bought my boys some orange juice bottles with her extra snack credit. :goodvibes It is the little random acts of kindness that touches my heart the most. Let's spread the love and think of others with our extra dining credits.:cool1:
~Darlene~

mjhd
06-07-2009, 08:43 AM
What a great way to spread that pixie dust! BTW - I see you are from Lowell! I'm about an hour west of you!

West MI must really love the budget board! I am in Ada! :)

Samandmom
06-07-2009, 09:14 AM
That was very nice of that couple.

We did that once in 2006. We were leaving in a couple hours. We had 3 left so we bought for 2 people and used the other one for us to share. We were not hungry since we had lunch a few hours ago at Tony's. :rotfl:

HappyPeach
06-07-2009, 09:19 AM
That's really nice!

MrsGoofyMitchell
06-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Amazing!!

So nice!:thumbsup2

D,L and K's Mom
06-07-2009, 05:48 PM
On our last trip we had a trip to the Celebration ER. 6 of us didnt use our DP for 2 days....we had lots of extras. We stood in the line at the food court at POR and bought dinners for many many people!!! It was a great feeling. It took quite a bit of time to find people who were not using the Dining plan themselves though.

mickeymel
06-07-2009, 06:31 PM
We did that at the AS food court one year. We had many credits left over so I went to buy some people breakfast. I have to say that many people gave me an odd look as though I was trying to scam them. However, I did finally find some people and one of the men was buying his mom (who I am sure didn't speak English) a small breakfast item and when I told them what the whole credit consisted of.....he said "I can buy her grapes too!!". He was very happy and I think mama ended up with a much nicer breakfast than orignally planned. :)

Bill and Jen
06-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Where is the outrage for this thread? It seems to me people were yelling and screaming about how re-using a refillibale mug is stealing, and what is that teaching the children.

With the DDP it is expressley written that meals for the ticket holders are the only way credits are allowed to be used.

Seeing that they did not use the credits for themselves as disney policy clearly statee, the people giving away the meals are guilty of stealing which is against the l;aw and the party recieving the meals was recieving stolen goods, also against the law.

What in the world are you teaching your children?

(I don't really believe this, but the way I have seen people react to what they consider skating around the rules I am suprised they don't feelo the same about this.)

P.S.

That was nice of the couple and a nice treat for you to recieve :)

SueEllen
06-07-2009, 07:51 PM
We have done this a few times as well. twice at Wolfgang Pucks Express, once at Earl of Sandwich, and once at the food court at the resort. I love to be able to pass along any extra credits that we end up not using. :)
I'm glad to see there are many others that do the same.

kaytieeldr
06-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Where is the outrage for this thread? It seems to me people were yelling and screaming about how re-using a refillibale mug is stealing, and what is that teaching the children.

With the DDP it is expressley written that meals for the ticket holders are the only way credits are allowed to be used.

Seeing that they did not use the credits for themselves as disney policy clearly statee, the people giving away the meals are guilty of stealing which is against the l;aw and the party recieving the meals was recieving stolen goods, also against the law. Well, since somebody else brought it up... ;)

Yes, this poster is absolutely correct. Per the printed conditions of the Dining Plan, dining entitlements cannot be used to purchase food for Guests not on the Dining Plan.

That's Disney's rule. Disney's enforcement of this rule may vary :teeth:

OT: :wave2: I'm in Peabody :)

johde
06-08-2009, 03:00 PM
We did something similar many years ago when it was the "food and fun" card. We had several "fun" tickets left for things like horseback riding, minigolf, etc. We gave them to someone as we were leaving. As it turns out, they were staying at fort wilderness and didn't have the money to do any of the parks. They were just enjoying fort wilderness and was resort hopping when we met up with them. It made their day to be able to do these activities.

goofy5
06-08-2009, 03:06 PM
:cool1:wow! that was really nice of them to do.

EvanMaddieMouse
06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
So we don't have food credits left; we pay a lot OOP for all the extra food they need to consume. I am considering the Deluxe Plan on our next trip (whenever that may be....they may not even offer it anymore at that point!) but what we HAVE done is hand off our fastpasses. We find people, usually we try to find teenagers or early-20s, and whatever we have left we hand off.

We're not ageist, we just remember what it was like to want to do everything right NOW! like you do at those ages. People always freak out, get all excited, when we pass them off. It's fun and makes leaving the park a little more bearable---the search for people and the handoff is always that last little bit of fun!

eeyoregon
06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Yes, this poster is absolutely correct. Per the printed conditions of the Dining Plan, dining entitlements cannot be used to purchase food for Guests not on the Dining Plan.

That's Disney's rule.

Well it's a good thing it's such a STUPID rule and I'm glad some folks (including myself) aren't following it! Disney got paid for the dining plan so as far as I am concerned it doesn't matter a pea-pickin bit who gets to eat that food. :rolleyes1

Of course I have teenagers who manage to suck up every credit plus some out of pocket meals :lmao: so we will never be treating someone to a free meal.

It's such an amazing life lesson for the kids when absolute strangers do nice things. Last year at Animal Kingdom 4 adults gave the 4 teens in our group their Dream Fast Pass lanyards that were completely in tact. You should have seen their faces when they realized that the people were just giving them to them with no stings attached.

gr8tdame
06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
We have had free dining in 2007 and had 33 snack credits left. We didn't have time to use them up (we were going to buy treats to take home) due to a fiasco at checkout.
Last year on our last day we had 3 cs and 3 TS credits left. We were at POR and before checking out I bought cs meals for 3 people and then walked into Boatwright's walked up to several tables until I found a table that was not on the dining plan and paid for 3 ts meals. We had tons of snack credits and bought lots of treats to take home.
My dh and I figure that Disney keeps track of the credits and better to use them or lose them....and it felt good to share some pixie dust.
This year we are going for 15 nights and since I am on a diet and eat very little I am sure we will have credits left and I will definitely make sure they get used.

kadesha
06-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Wow, I never even thought of that. We had about 3 CS credits waste last year. I will be sure to do this next week if we have leftover credits!

LaceyLace
06-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow.

I asked this question a while back and was told by the naysayers on this board that this couldn't be done. I knew I would have extra TS credits left at the end of my trip and wanted to know if it was possible to "pay" for another family's dinner in the restaurant.

All the naysayers on DIS told me that I was not allowed to do that!

So now I'm very confused. :confused3

Tink_Or_Belle
06-08-2009, 10:25 PM

were you at Pop? we gave away our leftover QS vouchers at Pop about 4 years ago :thumbsup2

kaytieeldr
06-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Wow.

I asked this question a while back and was told by the naysayers on this board that this couldn't be done. I knew I would have extra TS credits left at the end of my trip and wanted to know if it was possible to "pay" for another family's dinner in the restaurant.

All the naysayers on DIS told me that I was not allowed to do that!

So now I'm very confused. :confused3
Well, yeah - it IS against the rules of the Dining Plan. Read the brochure; post a new thread on this topic on the Restaurant or Dining Plan forums.

Well it's a good thing it's such a STUPID rule and I'm glad some folks (including myself) aren't following it! Disney got paid for the dining plan so as far as I am concerned it doesn't matter a pea-pickin bit who gets to eat that food. But as far as the provider is concerned, it DOES matter who gets to eat food for which Dining Plan credits are used. By purchasing (or accepting, in the case of Free Dining) the DDP, DxDDP, or QSDP - we agree to conform to all the associated rules.

Disneyaunt4
06-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Well whether it is right or wrong we did it a few years ago at OKW, we bought another couple breakfast. It felt really good to share the magic in some small way. And if the opportunity comes up, I will do it again.

livie1205
06-09-2009, 06:23 AM
we payed for someones meal last week at caseys at MK...my dh and I share a lot of meals so we had extra.When I was pregnant a few years ago the dining plan had just started and we were at POR getting breakfast ,paying cash...well a nice lady in front of me payed for all of our food (3 meals)! It was so nice so I this trip I did it for someone else! I DONT care what people on here say about it being wrong,it was nice and the CM helping us thought it was GREAT!If they dont care I dont care.I have never heard a CM say no you can not pay for their meal...not ever.:thumbsup2

kaytieeldr
06-09-2009, 06:35 AM
I DONT care what people on here say about it being wrong Apparently it needs to be pointed out: I am not opining, I am simply repeating a restriction DISNEY puts on dining plan use.

caribear
06-09-2009, 07:39 AM
I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago! I went over to the Polynesian as I wanted to try the Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks. As I was checking out a very nice lady came up to me and told me she would like to buy my breakfast! It was so sweet of her and it made my day! Thanks to all those who share their DDP credits with us!!

crisi
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Well it's a good thing it's such a STUPID rule and I'm glad some folks (including myself) aren't following it! Disney got paid for the dining plan so as far as I am concerned it doesn't matter a pea-pickin bit who gets to eat that food. :rolleyes1

Well, it may not be such a stupid rule. Pricing anything is a complex art, but one of the things Disney does when they figure pricing on the dining plan is to build in "breakage" - in this case credits that are not used. Breakage is a cool thing for both Disney and the consumer - it keeps prices lower for us while maintaining margins for them (although in the case of the dining plan, I suspect its actually minimizing loss - I'm one person who thinks the dining plan is likely a loss leader for Disney to get people into their very profitable rooms).

So when you "share" your credits (which is a nice thing to do), you are giving one person a free meal, but the long term effect is that you raise the price of the plan for the people who buy it - including yourself. Its sort of the literal "there is no such thing as a free lunch."

gymboqueenkaylee
06-09-2009, 10:23 AM
That was really sweet of those people!! I probably will never do the Dining Plan either because it doesn't work for us due to my child and myself being so picky and food allergies but it's a cool thing if you can.

peytonsmama
06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I gave away a case and 1/2 of bottled water, our 30 minute arcade gift card and several fastpasses we were not using.

kadesha
06-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, it may not be such a stupid rule. Pricing anything is a complex art, but one of the things Disney does when they figure pricing on the dining plan is to build in "breakage" - in this case credits that are not used. Breakage is a cool thing for both Disney and the consumer - it keeps prices lower for us while maintaining margins for them (although in the case of the dining plan, I suspect its actually minimizing loss - I'm one person who thinks the dining plan is likely a loss leader for Disney to get people into their very profitable rooms).

So when you "share" your credits (which is a nice thing to do), you are giving one person a free meal, but the long term effect is that you raise the price of the plan for the people who buy it - including yourself. Its sort of the literal "there is no such thing as a free lunch."

So if we use all of our dining credits (that we pay for ourselves) we are causing the price to raise? I'm skeptical on that. If you pay for it then you shouldn't feel bad for using it. I'm going to make sure we use all of ours this year--be it on us or someone else if we have leftovers. I paid for it afterall.