PDA

View Full Version : OKW....very disapointed

hmmerr02
06-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey guys...please no flames....just an accurate report of our room quality at OKW last week. We got a 2 bedroom in building 25 (HH guarantee) and I've never seen a WDW resort room is such condition. The couch in the living room had stains on the arms and cushions. the throw pillos were matted flat and the chair in the room had a partially broken leg. the carpet looked very worn. There was a ring of old "funk" around the bottom of the walls in the bathroom (where the walls meet the floor). It just looked like dirt buildup that hadn't been cleaned propertly over time. We had to order the egg crate cushions to make the beds sleepable. I was embarrassed since it was the first time we took my parents to OKW and they were so excited about staying there. My dad was even disappointed (and he's a Motel 6 kind of guy!). anyone else having these experiences?

treehugnmama
06-05-2009, 05:33 PM
we loved it. We went in Feb and thought the bed was the most comfortable "hotel" bed we had ever slept in....we had none of the issues you had. We did have issues with house keeping like not leaving cofee or not leaving soap etc. (we pd oop it was before we bought dvc) That being said it was my first time at disney since i was akid so I might have magic glasses on :rotfl:

RCharnay
06-05-2009, 05:46 PM
So far I have not had a bad experience at OKW. We loved our stay there in Jan. I'll admit the coffee table had some scratches and the sofa cushions were a little worn but nothing like what you described. But that was all just normal wear. We had no cleanliness issues. The bathrooms and kitchen were spotless, the beds were great and everything was in good working order.

I just hate to hear that there are folks in Mousekeeping that aren't keeping up the good reputation of OKW!

dvcbnd
06-05-2009, 05:54 PM
We'll be there next month in a 2 bdrm. We are OKW owners and haven't been there since Dec '06. Your report has me really concerned, especially since we noticed a decline in the appearance of our villa then. I sure hope that we won't be disappointed. :sad2:

chalee94
06-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Hey guys...please no flames....just an accurate report of our room quality at OKW last week. We got a 2 bedroom in building 25 (HH guarantee) and I've never seen a WDW resort room is such condition.

i hope you pointed out the issues to management at OKW while you were there.

DVC4me4Ever
06-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I am hoping you will report that all of these 'unpleasant issues' were brought to the attention of the OKW management. Whenever we have had any problem with any resort (and they are few in number) never have I been unhappy with the way management took care of our concerns.

The few times we had problems we received either a new room, free dinner for the family or one time our points were returned to us. I hope they took care of you and turned this sour situation into a sweet resolution.

jade1
06-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Pics please. These things need to be verified/documented and sent to management for correction.

hmmerr02
06-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I did alert the onsite management and today I sent an email to member satisfaction. I don't know what they'll do, but I do hope they acknowlege the issue. Are any of the DVC resort completely renovated? I know this comment is subject to decorating taste, but it seems that OKW is very outdated. I know they close the regular resorts to remodel occassionally and since the DVC resorts are newer than other regular resorts that have been remodeled, does anyone know how dvc will handle this over time?

disnefile
06-05-2009, 07:04 PM
We were disappointed over the past year at all Disney DVC. They are letting them run down. OKW, BWV and BCV all had big issue problems with dirty carpet, wore carpet, old damaged furnitre. We own at Marriott and have never run into such conditions. I think Disney is letting all resorts fall apart before they fix it up. Then when thy do, the don't replace all the furniture. We are very dissapointed. WE go all the time and this is getting worse.

Pete

sgtdisney
06-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I have never had the issues that you are reporting. But we have been in units in the past, as others describe, that show a little wear, but nothing out of the ordinary.

However as we are discussing rehabs, etc., why does it seem that OKW has the most plain and industrial carpeting of all the DVC resorts. I remember when it first opened it was nice carpet, more with the theme. Then a number of years back when they did a rehab they replaced the carpet with that dark blue (it is blue isn't it) carpet that almost seems industrial in nature. All the other DVC resorts have really nice carpeting.

Does anyone know if OKW is up for a full rehab anytime soon, new hard goods, carpeting, flat screen televisions, etc. Just wondering if anyone heard anything...

La2kw
06-05-2009, 07:33 PM
We've been staying at OKW (our favorite resort) for 15 years and have never had a room in that condition. However, I have to say that the housekeeping there is definitely not what it used to be. It has really gone downhill and the maids are either really, really lazy, or way overworked. We have had some very dirty rooms over the past couple years- which was unheard of previously. Two years ago, we had a room that had clearly not been cleaned, there was even a ton of burnt cheese hanging from the oven rack. I had a housekeeping manager come to our room so I could show him the rusted frying pans, rusted can opener, food left in the cupboards, crackers on the floor, grease on the stove and countertops, etc. He's the one that discovered the cheese in the oven, we hadn't even looked there yet. He had the room cleaned again for us and it was spotless after that.

If this happens to anyone else, please insist that these situations are taken care of and don't just clean it yourself. Unless people complain and give them the opportunity to correct it, they won't think there is any problem.

dianeschlicht
06-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I find this report particularily interesting if not disturbing, since building 25 is one of the buildings that recently underwent refurbishing a few months ago.

hmmerr02
06-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Pics please. These things need to be verified/documented and sent to management for correction.

you're exactly right....I wish I would have thought about this! I'm sure if would have helped member satisfaction. Darn it!

thelionqueen
06-05-2009, 07:50 PM
We have stayed @ OKW several times and (luckily) never experienced anything close to what you described. I'm thankful you notified management and hope you don't have an experience like that again!

hmmerr02
06-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I find this report particularily interesting if not disturbing, since building 25 is one of the buildings that recently underwent refurbishing a few months ago.

THis building was just rehabed?? oh my goodness.

Silver Queen
06-05-2009, 09:29 PM
We were at OKW for the first time in April and had no issues. We were in building 42 and our two studios were in excellent condition and the beds were very comfortable (I was concerned because DS and DDiL were with us and DDiL was 7 months pregnant.) I will admit that compared to our home resort (SSR) the furnishings at OKW looked a little more dated, but for us that's part of the informal charm of OKW.
I hope that your next trip is a better experience.

rentayenta
06-05-2009, 09:33 PM
We just spent 5 nights in a Grand Villa and other than the upstairs ac not working (which was easily and promptly fixed) we had no issues. It was very clean and well stocked. :goodvibes I am glad you reported it! :thumbsup2

Anal Annie
06-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Sorry! I can relate! It sounds just like our first experience at OKW 2 summers ago. We were in a studio that had worn carpeting, holes in a bedspread & a layer of dust around the tile in the bathroom on the top where the bullnoses met the paint & around the base as well...freezer door was broken on the little frig. Outside steps were covered with droppings from the trees & weren't swept off all week. There was just a path to go up the middle where people were walking. I would've thought somebody would hit those at least once over the week we were there.:confused3 NOT the best first impression. DH and I kept saying all week were so-o glad we hadn't brought anyone with us. It would've been so embarrasing. To top the week off the bus service was horrid all week too. We literally waited just over an hour one nite for a bus to the MK. 40 min. was probably our average wait. IF a bus came within 20 min. we felt we were doing good!!:sad2: Hopefully that's not the norm...we just happened to be really lucky that week (and it was our first DVC stay).

roxmic
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
I too can relate!! We checked into a studio for our first stay there May 10, the room was filthy covered with dust, the carpet had picks all in it, 3 bathroom floor tiles were broken, counter in the bathroom was cracked, light switch plate was broken, the light fixtures above both beds had spider webs on them, a gatorade bottle was hanging out from under the bed, and many other things. We were shocked!! I called member services and was moved to SSR. We did take many pictures I printed them and sent them to member satisfaction. They called and said sorry and thank you for the letter and the pictures we have been in touch with the resort about these issues.

Deb & Bill
06-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Gosh, these are surprising to me. We've been members since 1997 and in nearly 30 trips, we've never had a problem that couldn't be fixed immediately and that wasn't fixed immediately.

Jillpie
06-06-2009, 12:03 AM
We were disappointed over the past year at all Disney DVC. They are letting them run down. OKW, BWV and BCV all had big issue problems with dirty carpet, wore carpet, old damaged furnitre. We own at Marriott and have never run into such conditions. I think Disney is letting all resorts fall apart before they fix it up. Then when thy do, the don't replace all the furniture. We are very dissapointed. WE go all the time and this is getting worse.

Pete

Oh brother. I smell a rat:rolleyes:. Could this poster be any more obvious that he's from the Marriott?:sad2:

Just got home from the BCV's and couldn't be happier. The place was spotless and beautiful. Good job Disney, keep up the good work.:thumbsup2

dianeschlicht
06-06-2009, 09:03 AM
THis building was just rehabed?? oh my goodness.

Yes, and that's why I find your statement a little hard to fathom. We were just at OKW in building 46, and it was in great shape. Actually, we had the same room we had in January when building 25 was being rehabbed.

dianeschlicht
06-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I did alert the onsite management and today I sent an email to member satisfaction. I don't know what they'll do, but I do hope they acknowlege the issue. Are any of the DVC resort completely renovated? I know this comment is subject to decorating taste, but it seems that OKW is very outdated. I know they close the regular resorts to remodel occassionally and since the DVC resorts are newer than other regular resorts that have been remodeled, does anyone know how dvc will handle this over time?

OKW is very appropriate to it's theme of turn of the last century Key West. Things are not supposed to "match", and they are supposed to be the soft island colors of Key West. Dated and theme related are two different things. I for one would be disappointed if they changed the decor. In fact, I WAS disappointed when they changed the fabric on the easy chairs! I thought it was too "matchy matchy" compared to the old fabric.

OKW is constantly undergoing renovations. They do the buildings in sections. When we were there a couple weeks ago, buildings 51,52 were being done.

lanand3
06-06-2009, 10:21 AM
We just went in July and stayed in a 1 br in building 40.I was thrilled w/our room and our stay there.I'm sorry your room was not what you hoped:sad1:

littlestar
06-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh brother. I smell a rat:rolleyes:. Could this poster be any more obvious that he's from the Marriott?:sad2:

I think this is a legitimate gripe. Disney hasn't done what I call a "hard refurbishment" on BWV or OKW. Marriott Vacation Club usually does one about every 10 to 15 years. My hope is that DVC has some type of hard refurbishment schedule for the older DVC's. But I don't know. We actually sold our BWV points because I had become concerned with the upkeep.

OKW is kind of different in my mind. The quality of the materials used in the first DVC is really quite nice - I know the tiles have a lot of pink, but have you ever just looked at how nice the tubs and the ceramic is at OKW? I kind of wish OKW's carpet was a little less generic looking. The units are huge, too, compared to all the new DVC's. New TV's at OKW would be nice. But I don't know if I would want them to change it too much as far as colors. Maybe the pink countertops in the kitchen, though - ;)

Kim&Chris
06-06-2009, 12:58 PM
We've belonged to DVC for a few years now...lots of stays at OKW, some of them with rooms that were in excellent condition, others with rooms that were downright dirty. It's hit or miss, depending on which housekeeper cleaned up your room.

During our last trip a few weeks ago, we had a one-bedroom (bldg 53) that was in beautiful shape (except for some bathroom gook that I cleaned up). Prior to that, we were in a grand villa in, I believe, bldg 16 that had cobwebs hanging from the highest ceiling that had probably been there for years.

The best thing you can do is take photos of the issues and let DVC know.

La2kw
06-06-2009, 04:52 PM
OKW is very appropriate to it's theme of turn of the last century Key West. Things are not supposed to "match", and they are supposed to be the soft island colors of Key West. Dated and theme related are two different things. I for one would be disappointed if they changed the decor. In fact, I WAS disappointed when they changed the fabric on the easy chairs! I thought it was too "matchy matchy" compared to the old fabric.

OKW is constantly undergoing renovations. They do the buildings in sections. When we were there a couple weeks ago, buildings 51,52 were being done.

I agree with the theme at OKW- it is extremely well done. I love to visit the real island of Key West, and DVC did a great job sanitizing the atmosphere and bring it to WDW. :love: I don't want anything changed, except for housekeeping to be as consistently well done as it has been in the past for us.

I too do not like the color of the new couches. They also appear to be smaller than the old ones. There's a lot more room on that wall now than there used to be.:confused3

almousefan
06-06-2009, 05:48 PM
We just returned yesterday from our stay at OKW. We were in building 41 in a 2br and were very pleased. The furniture does look a little dated but overall everything was very clean. Now, if only I had not left some of my clothes in the drawer when I packed up everything would be much better.

Disney_Villain
06-06-2009, 06:42 PM
That wasn't our OKW experience, but if it was we would have reported it to both the front desk in writing (as we always do at our DVC resorts) as well as to the DVC Member Satisfaction Team via e-mail.

sajetto
06-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Luckily, we've never experienced any problem during any of our OKW stays so far. However if it were to happen, it would be best to report it while you are actually there rather than waiting until the vacation is over and you've returned home.

hmmerr02
06-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Luckily, we've never experienced any problem during any of our OKW stays so far. However if it were to happen, it would be best to report it while you are actually there rather than waiting until the vacation is over and you've returned home.

We actually did report it onsite and then to member satisfaction when we returned home.

Deb & Bill
06-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Bldg 62 is currently under rehab.

katmittens
06-06-2009, 11:58 PM
We have stayed at OKW many times and have never had any major problems. Sometimes a light bulb or something small and we call and it is usually fixed right away. Once we had a towel bar in the bathroom come off the wall and we called and they were there to fix it. I

I too think that the level of housekeeping has gone down over the past few years. I think OKW needs new tv's and carpeting. I am really upset over the new beds being so hard. I have called and talked to a manager about this and didn't get too far, only to say they will bring me all the egg crates I need if I get a new hard mattress. I'm still not sure what to do about my reservation for Jan. I called today and can still get AKV at Kidani. Some of us in my party want OKW and some want AKV. I would do 3 in one and 4 in the other, but some don't want to switch resorts. Too many decisions. Sometimes the planning drives me crazy.

Overall I love OKW, but I do think it needs some major improvements. I too don't want the theme changed, but tv's and carpets and tiles in the bathrooms and showers need to be updated.

Ksp
06-07-2009, 01:01 AM
We're here right now at OKW and our room in Building 12 is clean and everything is in nice working order. My husband actually said (and this was a surprise to me, so I'll share it with you) that he would gladly add on points at OKW if we had the chance. :hug:

Dean
06-07-2009, 06:29 AM

Just got home from the BCV's and couldn't be happier. The place was spotless and beautiful. Good job Disney, keep up the good work.:thumbsup2I don't get that sense at all. We were down recently and the room was not up to our standards. Not bad, just a lot of small to medium things. Tiles worn, cabinets worn and lose, carpet worn and ripped, tiles broken lose. The housekeeping was generally OK other than there were a few things missing. I sent a note to the member satisfaction team for informational purposes. My suggestion, do a complete redo of the resort over time. Take the theme and redesign the unit. Replace the cabinets, tile, carpet, drapes, furniture, counters, etc. It'd take a few years but it is time to bring OKW up to current standards with flat screens, etc. If it were Marriott they would have had a full refurbishment 6-7 years ago and been getting ready to do it a second time in a few years. There is a major difference in a soft and hard refurbishment, I don't think I've even seen a unit at a DVC resort that has had a hard refurbishment.

dianeschlicht
06-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Dean, what do you mean by "hard" refurbishment? I agree, the cabinets, bath fixtures etc. ARE ready for refurb at OKW. The only time that gets done now is if someone has trashed it beyond repair. The unit we had in January (and as it turned out, May also) had been trashed by the occupant before us. The front desk appologized about being late at us getting in and also for the missing tile in the master bath. They had replaced the base cabinet in the shower room, and it was quite obvious. The thing that surprised me though, was they did NOT replace the doors! So the cabinet had nice new clean finish on it, and the doors were still the worn old finish. They did indeed come in one day while we were there and replaced and regrouted the missing tiles in the bathroom.

Now, with all that being said....How the heck does someone trash a bathroom so badly that needs to be done?????

Dean
06-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Dean, what do you mean by "hard" refurbishment? I agree, the cabinets, bath fixtures etc. ARE ready for refurb at OKW. The only time that gets done now is if someone has trashed it beyond repair. The unit we had in January (and as it turned out, May also) had been trashed by the occupant before us. The front desk appologized about being late at us getting in and also for the missing tile in the master bath. They had replaced the base cabinet in the shower room, and it was quite obvious. The thing that surprised me though, was they did NOT replace the doors! So the cabinet had nice new clean finish on it, and the doors were still the worn old finish. They did indeed come in one day while we were there and replaced and regrouted the missing tiles in the bathroom.

Now, with all that being said....How the heck does someone trash a bathroom so badly that needs to be done?????A soft refurbishment is usually things like cloth furniture, carpet, painting, mattresses and the like. A hard refurbishment is normally that plus appliances, drapes and often cabinets, countertops, furniture, entertainment centers etc. It will vary based on the level of the previous items. Most resorts have either a 5/10, 6/12 or 7/14 cycle with the better resorts being more frequent and the lessor ones less frequent as a rule.

littlestar
06-07-2009, 08:36 AM
A soft refurbishment is usually things like cloth furniture, carpet, painting, mattresses and the like. A hard refurbishment is normally that plus appliances, drapes and often cabinets, countertops, furniture, entertainment centers etc. It will vary based on the level of the previous items. Most resorts have either a 5/10, 6/12 or 7/14 cycle with the better resorts being more frequent and the lessor ones less frequent as a rule.

Dean, I've wondered a lot about DVC's plans for hard refurbishments - whether they even have it figured out like Marriott does.

We stayed at Marriott's Imperial Palms recently (which was probably built around 1995) and it had been completely redone - new cabinets, granite countertops, beautiful carpet, all new kitchen appliances. It was extremely nice on the inside.

Dean
06-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Dean, I've wondered a lot about DVC's plans for hard refurbishments - whether they even have it figured out like Marriott does.

We stayed at Marriott's Imperial Palms recently (which was probably built around 1995) and it had been completely redone - new cabinets, granite countertops, beautiful carpet, all new kitchen appliances. It was extremely nice on the inside.I've asked the question several times and I get the impression there is no master plan for refurbishment. I think it's actually older than that, maybe late 80's to very early 90's but am not certain.

hmmerr02
06-07-2009, 09:40 AM
I think this is a new issue since OKW is the first DVC and is the one in most need of hard refurbishment. I'd love to see if we can get an answer from DVC management as to the plan they have for the long term care of the resorts. If OKW isn't rehabbed soon, then I think it may tell us what to expect as the other resorts age as well. Is this something for the codo meeting? Any other ways to get it answered?

Dean
06-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I think this is a new issue since OKW is the first DVC and is the one in most need of hard refurbishment. I'd love to see if we can get an answer from DVC management as to the plan they have for the long term care of the resorts. If OKW isn't rehabbed soon, then I think it may tell us what to expect as the other resorts age as well. Is this something for the codo meeting? Any other ways to get it answered?As I said, I've asked that question of several different upper level management type people who acted like it was asked in a foreign language, maybe they didn't understand southern. My impression on all occasions was there was no formal master plan, that it would be handled as things came up. If you get anything else, let us know.

jodifla
06-07-2009, 11:17 AM
We have stayed at OKW many times and have never had any major problems. Sometimes a light bulb or something small and we call and it is usually fixed right away. Once we had a towel bar in the bathroom come off the wall and we called and they were there to fix it. I

I too think that the level of housekeeping has gone down over the past few years. I think OKW needs new tv's and carpeting. I am really upset over the new beds being so hard. I have called and talked to a manager about this and didn't get too far, only to say they will bring me all the egg crates I need if I get a new hard mattress. I'm still not sure what to do about my reservation for Jan. I called today and can still get AKV at Kidani. Some of us in my party want OKW and some want AKV. I would do 3 in one and 4 in the other, but some don't want to switch resorts. Too many decisions. Sometimes the planning drives me crazy.

Overall I love OKW, but I do think it needs some major improvements. I too don't want the theme changed, but tv's and carpets and tiles in the bathrooms and showers need to be updated.

This is the only true disappointment I've had in 13 years of owning DVC: the LOUSY HARD CHEAP MATTRESS we had in January!!!

I won't stay on a bed like that again. PERIOD.

dhluvsDisney
06-07-2009, 02:19 PM
We just returned from our fav OKW. We've stayed at least once a year here for a number of years, and must agree with some of the comments. We love it, love it, love it, but there are some upkeep issues that could be addressed. I agree about the comfort of the bed though, quite hard. Our biggest thing, we too, notice, is the level of housekeeping over the last few years is hardly what I would call stellar. DH and I both travel a lot for business, so we are quite in tune with values and cleanliness of many hotel chains. We are constantly receiving input surveys after our stays. Wouldn't it be interesting if DVC would send one out?

dianeschlicht
06-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Actually, I have always been asked to complete a survey after returning from DVC resorts. It's an online survey, and I usually am very thorough in my answers...both positive AND negative.

katmittens
06-08-2009, 12:10 AM
I know what you mean about the mattresses. We have reservations for jan of 2010 and I am thinking about AKV instead of OKW. We love OKW but I to refuse to sleep on those mattresses. I can't imagine what someone was thinking when these were purchased.

katmittens
06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Ksp, How are the mattresses in building 12. Are they older or the new hard ones. Thanks if you can let me know.

ascardino
06-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Reading this thread has made me pretty nervous. We are due to arrive at OKW in about two weeks and this will be our first visit. I will say that I have noticed issues of stains, worn carpeting and bedding,etc at other DVC resorts but not "hard" mattresses that are uncomfortable to sleep on. I suffer from a bad back due to several car accidents and will not be too happy if I cannot get a good night sleep.

Can anyone recommend a building to request that might have had a recent refurbishment?

Gina :goodvibes

Anal Annie
06-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Reading this thread has made me pretty nervous. We are due to arrive at OKW in about two weeks and this will be our first visit. I will say that I have noticed issues of stains, worn carpeting and bedding,etc at other DVC resorts but not "hard" mattresses that are uncomfortable to sleep on. I suffer from a bad back due to several car accidents and will not be too happy if I cannot get a good night sleep.

Can anyone recommend a building to request that might have had a recent refurbishment?

Gina :goodvibes

I also have a bad back & sleep on very low setting on a Select Comfort bed at home but I think that all of the OKW mattresses are pretty much made from steel slabs.:sad2: Sad thing is that these ARE the new mattresses! Since our stay there I've heard you can request an egg crate topper and they will provide that for you. Not sure how much that might help tho.:confused3

nunzia
06-08-2009, 08:31 AM
I know what you mean about the mattresses. We have reservations for jan of 2010 and I am thinking about AKV instead of OKW. We love OKW but I to refuse to sleep on those mattresses. I can't imagine what someone was thinking when these were purchased.
I'll also be there in January...a bit nervous after hearing all these reports! First trip there, so we shall see.

dianeschlicht
06-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Don't worry, you will find the rooms very nice. If you get a bad unit, you can always request a different one, and as long as you haven't unpacked and go back to the front desk right away, you should be able to change without being charged. The beds are hard at OKW, and always have been. The new mattresses are no better than the old ones, just newer and maybe harder. Just ask for teh egg crate to oput over them, and your back should be fine. I have back issues too, and just adding something soft over the firm mattress helps a lot. I remake the beds at all DVC resorts anyway. I HATE that they tuck the blankets in with both top and bottom sheets together, so I remake the bed and mitre the bottom sheet so it stays on.

littlestar
06-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Pete

I've been hearing that every section of Sheraton's original Vistana resort by January of 2011 will be completely rehabbed. To stretch our DVC points after we left OKW last fall, we stayed on an RCI Last Call ($243 for the whole week) in a one bedroom and the unit we stayed in was in the Lakes section and it had new cherry cabinets, flat screen TV's, new tile, new appliances, new tub, vanity, sinks - it was unbelievably nice for the price we paid.;) My family talked about wondering what kind of refurbishment schedules were in the works for the older DVC's when we did that split stay.

dianeschlicht
06-08-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm confused...How did a question about OKW turn intoa Marriot sales pitch?

Deb & Bill
06-08-2009, 01:13 PM
We didn't stay at OKW for this trip, but I don't remember the king sized bed being bad last summer. Our BCV king sized bed was very comfortable on this trip - nothing close to my own mattress, but I really don't expect that. We have a very, very nice mattress at home.

Debbie H
06-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes, we were in building 62 and it was disgusting! The carpets were so dirty when you got in the shower, all you saw was dirt. We took pictures. The grout is filthy. We had something dripping down (black) on to our toilet from the fan above. We called, they came and looked at it and left. Never heard what it was or if it got fixed but we had it dripping on the toilet, and on us. Not what we paid for!

Deb & Bill
06-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes, we were in building 62 and it was disgusting! The carpets were so dirty when you got in the shower, all you saw was dirt. We took pictures. The grout is filthy. We had something dripping down (black) on to our toilet from the fan above. We called, they came and looked at it and left. Never heard what it was or if it got fixed but we had it dripping on the toilet, and on us. Not what we paid for!

They are renovating that building right now. It had scaffolding all around it and it was completely fenced in.

disnefile
06-08-2009, 04:05 PM

Its not a Marriott sales pich. It is a comparison. I am sorry to say Disney does not keep its properties to the standard of Marriott. I own both and I can make this statement. You raeally should not speak to this if you have no basis to compare. Also, by the way,Vistana is Starwood not Marriott.

WebmasterDoc
06-08-2009, 04:45 PM
I did alert the onsite management and today I sent an email to member satisfaction. I don't know what they'll do, but I do hope they acknowlege the issue. ...

What response did you receive from "onsite management"? To whom did you address your concerns?

The few times we have reported any maintenance or housekeeping issues at any DVC resort they have always been addressed within minutes. Hopefully you reported your concerns immediately after arriving at the resort so they would have opportunity to correct the issues in a timely fashion during your stay.

5forDiz
06-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Its not a Marriott sales pich. It is a comparison. I am sorry to say Disney does not keep its properties to the standard of Marriott. I own both and I can make this statement. You raeally should not speak to this if you have no basis to compare. Also, by the way,Vistana is Starwood not Marriott.

Nice attitude :sad2: . btw, where is Diane "comparing" ? that post merely

asked how this thread turned into Marriott discussion, her other posts here

addressed OKW.

Dean
06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm confused...How did a question about OKW turn intoa Marriot sales pitch?Diane, I'm sure you've seen me compare DVC components to other timeshare many times and IMO, this is a perfect situation to do so.

WebmasterDoc
06-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Diane, I'm sure you've seen me compare DVC components to other timeshare many times and IMO, this is a perfect situation to do so.

Dean, IMO - providing anecdotal information proclaiming another timeshare to be flawless is a bit off-topic for this DVC Forum. The thread is about complaints about maintenance and housekeeping at OKW and is not really the proper venue to offer personal praise for another timeshare which is not even presently available via DVC programs, IMO.

There are many who can offer similar complaint about Marriott, but this is not the venue for that either.

Diane's comment was spot on, IMO.

tecodis
06-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I've stayed at OKW three times, I think. Never had a room in bad condition but they definitely could use a major refurbishment there. Now that I've stayed in the brand spanking new Kidani, OKW would really seem old and tired.
;)

Dean
06-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Dean, IMO - providing anecdotal information proclaiming another timeshare to be flawless is a bit off-topic for this DVC Forum. The thread is about complaints about maintenance and housekeeping at OKW and is not really the proper venue to offer personal praise for another timeshare which is not even presently available via DVC programs, IMO.

There are many who can offer similar complaint about Marriott, but this is not the venue for that either.

Diane's comment was spot on, IMO.Then we disagree. It's not anecdotal about how Marriott plans these issues, it's factual, and it isn't especially about saying one is better than another overall, only that one does things one way and others another. The reason for the comparison is that one has a specific plan and the other appears not to (I've asked) and in this situation, that lack of a plan is affecting the quality of the resort.

toocherie
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
This is the only true disappointment I've had in 13 years of owning DVC: the LOUSY HARD CHEAP MATTRESS we had in January!!!

I won't stay on a bed like that again. PERIOD.

LOL--I just read another thread where a poster was complaining about the beds being too SOFT at another DVC resort!

I didn't see it as a Marriott sales pitch personally. I appreciate when people with experience in other timeshare companies compare and contrast their experiences versus DVC. DVC was my first timeshare and I really have/had nothing to compare it to--so if I didn't know any better, seeing broken tiles, loose doors on cabinets etc. may seem like something one should just expect in a timeshare. Knowing that this is NOT the "norm" will help IMO and I will be sure to report it if I see it. I would also think that DVC would have a rehab schedule--very surprising that they don't. But that may be because it "times out" unlike other timeshares that go on forever--so someone like Marriott has more of an interest in keeping the units up. Of course--it is scary that if DVC lets OKW "go" at this point in its lifespan (especially when they just did the extension) how bad will it get when we get down to five or ten years left? :scared1: And that goes for any of the DVC resorts.

I also just bought a Marriott timeshare a few months ago but haven't stayed there yet--so it will be interesting to make my own comparison. So far I have only stayed at SSR but will have stayed at BCV prior to my Marriott stay so will have two DVC's to compare. And no--I don't work for Marriott.

WebmasterDoc
06-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Then we disagree. It's not anecdotal about how Marriott plans these issues, it's factual, and it isn't especially about saying one is better than another overall, only that one does things one way and others another. The reason for the comparison is that one has a specific plan and the other appears not to (I've asked) and in this situation, that lack of a plan is affecting the quality of the resort.

Comments like "We own at Marriott and have never run into such conditions" (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=32150388&postcount=9) are most certainly anecdotal and that is what Diane was questioning.

Since Marriott is NOT affiiliated with DVC at this time, the comparison is off-topic (IMO) and would be better served at TUG or many other sites. Marriott renovation plans are also not really velevant for the DVC Forums whether you insist they are factual or not. You have not provided any "factual" information about Marriott renovation schedules - only anecdotal comments (but feel free to provide a link to the Marriott site that outlines that schedule or the DVC site that outlines the DVC schedule). While your personal opinion is certainly valid, it is not an official statement from either organization, IMO.

Your insistence that there is a "lack of a plan" for DVC is also anecdotal. I'm certain you are not privvy to the DVC plan, but that does not mean there is a "lack of a plan".

There have certainly been similar comments about Marriott (and many other timeshares) on other sites. IMO, there is no reason to promote these other timeshares here with anecdotal information.

Dean
06-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Comments like "We own at Marriott and have never run into such conditions" (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=32150388&postcount=9) are most certainly anecdotal and that is what Diane was questioning.

Since Marriott is NOT affiiliated with DVC at this time, the comparison is off-topic (IMO) and would be better served at TUG or many other sites. Marriott renovation plans are also not really velevant for the DVC Forums whether you insist they are factual or not. You have not provided any "factual" information about Marriott renovation schedules - only anecdotal comments (but feel free to provide a link to the Marriott site that outlines that schedule or the DVC site that outlines the DVC schedule). While your personal opinion is certainly valid, it is not an official statement from either organization, IMO.

Your insistence that there is a "lack of a plan" for DVC is also anecdotal. I'm certain you are not privvy to the DVC plan, but that does not mean there is a "lack of a plan".

There have certainly been similar comments about Marriott (and many other timeshares) on other sites. IMO, there is no reason to promote these other timeshares here with anecdotal information.I couldn't argue with saying DVC doesn't APPEAR to have a plan as being anecdotal. However, I've actually asked this question of appropriate people on several occasions over several years, I'd venture that puts me ahead of most here as to an understanding. I'd love to see any additional information you might be able to provide to the contrary and I'd love to be wrong. I believe it's factual to say that there has not been a true, orchestrated hard refurbishment for any of the DVC resorts thus far and it's bee 17 years for OKW. The quote in your post is anecdotal, I'm not sure I could be as strong in a comparison. I have a lot of experience with both and we've seen a few issues over the years with both. I'd have to say that the resorts in Marriott that I've seen issues with that I felt were resort issues have actually improved over time, I hope that happens with DVC as well.

We'll have to cont to disagree as to comparing other timeshares to DVC being inappropriate on this site. It is a point of reference, one where I believe DVC seems to be lagging behind, not an advertisement for another company. It simply is one that many of us actually know enough to feel comfortable making statements about and one that many DVC members at least have some knowledge about. As for an affiliation, that's not entirely true as there are Marriott's in RCI as well that members may be looking to trade to, not many but a few.

DVCconvert
06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Dean - quit while you're "ahead"!!! ;)
:)

disnefile
06-08-2009, 09:46 PM

There have certainly been similar comments about Marriott (and many other timeshares) on other sites. IMO, there is no reason to promote these other timeshares here with anecdotal information.

Well we argree to disagree. This formum is not just for praise of DVC and it you have a hard time with it, which you seem to have, I am sorry.

disnefile
06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Dean - quit while you're "ahead"!!! ;)
:)

Dean seems to be the most rational on this board. Many of you are open minded but I think too many drink too much Disney Coolaid. You need to get a life. If comparison is so offensive then dont comment. I want Disney to live up to its end of the bargain and I can say they have not kept up at all on the maintenance. I paid more end expect more.

DVCconvert
06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
... I think too many drink too much Disney Coolaid. You need to get a life. ...

:scared1:

87 posts...and bye-bye!

;):lmao::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2:

disnefile
06-08-2009, 10:04 PM
:scared1:

87 posts...and bye-bye!

;):lmao::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Get a life dude.

DVCconvert
06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Get a life dude.

That's essentially what I was suggesting for you!...Dude!
;):rotfl2:

disnefile
06-08-2009, 10:08 PM
That's essentially what I was suggesting for you!...Dude!
;):rotfl2:

Goodnight. Have a wonderful evening.

DVCconvert
06-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Goodnight. Have a wonderful evening.

I wish the same to you! :)

WebmasterDoc
06-08-2009, 10:38 PM
I couldn't argue with saying DVC doesn't APPEAR to have a plan as being anecdotal. However, I've actually asked this question of appropriate people on several occasions over several years, I'd venture that puts me ahead of most here as to an understanding. I'd love to see any additional information you might be able to provide to the contrary and I'd love to be wrong. I believe it's factual to say that there has not been a true, orchestrated hard refurbishment for any of the DVC resorts thus far and it's bee 17 years for OKW. The quote in your post is anecdotal, I'm not sure I could be as strong in a comparison. I have a lot of experience with both and we've seen a few issues over the years with both. I'd have to say that the resorts in Marriott that I've seen issues with that I felt were resort issues have actually improved over time, I hope that happens with DVC as well.

We'll have to cont to disagree as to comparing other timeshares to DVC being inappropriate on this site. It is a point of reference, one where I believe DVC seems to be lagging behind, not an advertisement for another company. It simply is one that many of us actually know enough to feel comfortable making statements about and one that many DVC members at least have some knowledge about. As for an affiliation, that's not entirely true as there are Marriott's in RCI as well that members may be looking to trade to, not many but a few.

Thanks for agreeing that your comments about DVC renovation are anecdotal and that comments by others praising Marriott are also anecdotal.

I'm sorry to hear that DVC has not shared any detailed renovation plans with you. I'm still waiting for a link to similar information from Marriott - perhaps they have not really been willing to provide that information either. Otherwise anything posted about Marriott's renovation schedule is also anecdotal.

So, you want to compare the RCI Marriott resorts with DVC?

Great, lets look at Marriott's Monarch at Hilton Head. What is the renovation schedule for that resort? When was it last hard-renovated? When did that resort open? Why not also comment on Marriott's Harbour Point - also at Hilton Head. Please report the renovation schedule there too. Feel free to include the TUG ratings for those resorts (although, IMO, the TUG ratings are also anecdotal) - that would also be pretty appropriate since those are part of the proud Marriott family where there are never any problems at resorts (at least anecdotally). For those who have not checked on TUG, Disney's HHI resort is rated #2 at Hilton Head Island, Marriott's Monarch is #22, Marriott's Harbour Point is #26 and Marriott's Sunset Pointe is #28 - in spite of the "superior" Marriott renovation program.

Here is a link to the TUG ratings for Hilton Head Island resorts. Individual reviews for these resorts may be read by TUG members - http://tug2.com/RnR/ResortsGrid.aspx?ResortArea=15&ResortGroup=35

IMO, threads expressing complaint about DVC resort issues is NOT an open invitation to promote other timeshares - whether they are affiliated with DVC in any fashion or not. There are certainly other forums on the internet where that is very appropriate. The DVC Forum is fine to discuss DVC policies and issues but providing anecdotal information praising (or compaining about) other timeshares goes beond the intended scope of this board.

If you really want to discuss DVC, this is a great place. If you want to discuss Marriott, try TUG or TSTODAY - both are good resources for timeshare discussion.

disnefile
06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
What did Marriott do to you? It must have been bad for you to get so defensive. Disney has been skimping on maintenance for the last few years. I own 1000 points and stay there more than almost anyone else on this board. I also stay in the Disney hotels and there rooms are rarely in the condition of many of the DVC rooms.

I think that most comments on this post relate to that. If you think by downgrading Marriott is the way to address this problem then more power to you. I think the reasonable approach is to tell Disney you expect more.

Comments on comparison are good, not only to one other time share but to all. I really do think that since you are a moderator you need to be a little more objective.

ascardino
06-08-2009, 11:35 PM
They are renovating that building right now. It had scaffolding all around it and it was completely fenced in.

Any idea when this work will be complete? Have any other buildings recently been refurbished?

:goodvibes

disnefile
06-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Don't know. You can ask but I don't think they will give out that info as it changes according to load factors at the resort.

Dean
06-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks for agreeing that your comments about DVC renovation are anecdotal and that comments by others praising Marriott are also anecdotal.

I'm sorry to hear that DVC has not shared any detailed renovation plans with you. I'm still waiting for a link to similar information from Marriott - perhaps they have not really been willing to provide that information either. Otherwise anything posted about Marriott's renovation schedule is also anecdotal.

So, you want to compare the RCI Marriott resorts with DVC?

Great, lets look at Marriott's Monarch at Hilton Head. What is the renovation schedule for that resort? When was it last hard-renovated? When did that resort open? Why not also comment on Marriott's Harbour Point - also at Hilton Head. Please report the renovation schedule there too. Feel free to include the TUG ratings for those resorts (although, IMO, the TUG ratings are also anecdotal) - that would also be pretty appropriate since those are part of the proud Marriott family where there are never any problems at resorts (at least anecdotally). For those who have not checked on TUG, Disney's HHI resort is rated #2 at Hilton Head Island, Marriott's Monarch is #22, Marriott's Harbour Point is #26 and Marriott's Sunset Pointe is #28 - in spite of the "superior" Marriott renovation program.

Here is a link to the TUG ratings for Hilton Head Island resorts. Individual reviews for these resorts may be read by TUG members - http://tug2.com/RnR/ResortsGrid.aspx?ResortArea=15&ResortGroup=35

IMO, threads expressing complaint about DVC resort issues is NOT an open invitation to promote other timeshares - whether they are affiliated with DVC in any fashion or not. There are certainly other forums on the internet where that is very appropriate. The DVC Forum is fine to discuss DVC policies and issues but providing anecdotal information praising (or compaining about) other timeshares goes beond the intended scope of this board.

If you really want to discuss DVC, this is a great place. If you want to discuss Marriott, try TUG or TSTODAY - both are good resources for timeshare discussion.My purpose was to discuss Marriott and others as a comparison and example of industry standards based on the topic posted. I could certainly respond to many of your points (inc the reasons for TUG ratings being skewed) as I do have information there, but that would digress from this thread which seems to be getting argumentative. I'll bow to your guidance as webmaster.

dianeschlicht
06-09-2009, 07:19 AM
OOPS! I didn't mean to start a controversy! Dean, a comment about Marriot is one thing, but the ongoing discussion seemed to turn more to that than the question at hand, which was maintenance at OKW.

dianeschlicht
06-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Any idea when this work will be complete? Have any other buildings recently been refurbished?

:goodvibes

They did buildings 22-26 in January, buildings 51-52 last month, and now it looks like 62.

YoTony2
06-09-2009, 07:36 AM
WOW!

We have our first trip home as new members to an Old Key West Grand Villa in August. While I can deal with calling Housekeeping to fix problems, if my Mom has a room like the first poster described, I'm gonna have a nightmare on my hands.

Can I have the villa cleaned at my own expense before check in?

Any other suggestions?

I've waited a long time to take my parents, and while I'd love the trip to be perfect, I understand that perfecton is a goal. But melted cheese in the oven? The mess described?

So far the thread seems to be about 40% housekeeping issues, 60% this never happened. I'm hoping for never happened, but I'm afraid it may have.

YoTony2

Dean
06-09-2009, 07:42 AM
They did buildings 22-26 in January, buildings 51-52 last month, and now it looks like 62.I hope they do it right and can return OKW to it's splendor. We were in building 34 this May and it was in desperate shape when looked at in these terms. IMO, anything less than a total overhaul will not be enough to put OKW back on the map. I'm talking new cabinets, new counters, flat screens, all new furniture in addition to new tile and carpets. IMO, the reserves should be planned to handle a periodic overhaul such as I describe, they are at many other resorts, not at others.

WebmasterDoc
06-09-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm still interested in the response from OKW when this guest made complaint. If housekeeping was contacted on day 1 and nothing was done to remedy the situation - that is not acceptable and there is a problem. All of the issues noted in the OP are housekeeping related, not caused by any renovation schedule.

On the other hand, if the complaint was made at checkout (or later), then the resort had no opportunity to correct the problems. Writing to member satisfaction after returning home may be a means to vent, but it doesn't address the problem when it could have been corrected.

On the one occasion when we had multiple problems with a villa we reported it immediately and the manager on duty came to the room and then made multiple calls to the staff involved in the shortcomings. When that still didn't completely resolve the concerns I contacted the resort manager and voiced complaint again. I had no need for follow up since everything was corrected that very day. Otherwise, our only problems have been missing/burned out light bulbs, a toaster that didn't work and a missing table lamp (how that was missed is beyond me). All of these things were corrected within minutes even when our arrival was late at night.

IMO, members have a responsibility to bring these things immediately to the attention of the resort staff. I start with housekeeping and move up the ladder if necessary (not usually needed though).

If we accept the shortcomings and then make complaint after the fact, the issues have already been passed along to the next guest.

Dean
06-09-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm still interested in the response from OKW when this guest made complaint. If housekeeping was contacted on day 1 and nothing was done to remedy the situation - that is not acceptable and there is a problem. All of the issues noted in the OP are housekeeping related, not caused by any renovation schedule.

On the other hand, if the complaint was made at checkout (or later), then the resort had no opportunity to correct the problems. Writing to member satisfaction after returning home may be a means to vent, but it doesn't address the problem when it could have been corrected.

On the one occasion when we had multiple problems with a villa we reported it immediately and the manager on duty came to the room and then made multiple calls to the staff involved in the shortcomings. When that still didn't completely resolve the concerns I contacted the resort manager and voiced complaint again. I had no need for follow up since everything was corrected that very day. Otherwise, our only problems have been missing/burned out light bulbs, a toaster that didn't work and a missing table lamp (how that was missed is beyond me). All of these things were corrected within minutes even when our arrival was late at night.

IMO, members have a responsibility to bring these things immediately to the attention of the resort staff. I start with housekeeping and move up the ladder if necessary (not usually needed though).

If we accept the shortcomings and then make complaint after the fact, the issues have already been passed along to the next guest.On my trip in May at OKW, there were a number of issues. However, other than a few missing items, none were of the nature as to be corrected at the time. The missing items that we needed were delivered though it did take a couple of tries and trips for some of them. We had one minor maint issue, that was a light bulb that was out, could have changed it myself had I had one available. Most of the issues we saw were more of overall upkeep and long term maint. Worn tiles, lose tiles, torn carpet, worn out cabinets, shower door in need of a replacement, etc. Not things that affected our trip itself nor things we felt needed a specific visit to repair while we were there. So I emailed DVC after our return to give them the info and make suggestions. I specifically stated that I wasn't complaining, just providing the information and that all I wanted in response was an email that they got the info. We actually got a phone call instead thanking us for taking the time to let them know and thanking them for the suggetions.

I'd agree it's not necessarily fair to complain after the fact for things that could have and should have been reported at the time though I do realize that at times there really isn't an alternative. It does reduce their options to make it right significantly. I also realize there are some that are professional complainers, that they do so with the intent of getting something for it.

ETA: I've always found DVC to be very responsive when there were issues. Mistakes happen, it's what you do then that makes or breaks a company. IMO, DVC has always stood apart in this area, often going overboard and giving more than they should.

dianeschlicht
06-09-2009, 08:30 AM
I hope they do it right and can return OKW to it's splendor. We were in building 34 this May and it was in desperate shape when looked at in these terms. IMO, anything less than a total overhaul will not be enough to put OKW back on the map. I'm talking new cabinets, new counters, flat screens, all new furniture in addition to new tile and carpets. IMO, the reserves should be planned to handle a periodic overhaul such as I describe, they are at many other resorts, not at others.

I don't disagree with you there, Dean. I do know that cabinets etc are replaced as needed, and appliances have been done at least once or twice, but I really doubt the cabinet doors, tile, countertops etc have ever been done beyond the construction phase.

On the other hand....We usually have units in very good condition at OKW. That being said, there are a couple of buildings where the lack of "good" housekeeping is noticeable.

As you have seen me mention many times, I really enjoy buildings 45 and 46. On the other hand though, the housekeeper in charge of those two buildings is less than stellar at her job. I have found need to complain nearly every trip about housekeeping in those buildings. It's not big things, but when those little things go undone for several days, weeks etc, it adds up. One of those is the oven. I rarely get a unit in 45 or 46 that has a clean oven or clean refridgerator. I've actually quit complaining anymore, and just clean it myself, because even when calling, it hasn't been done right. Now, I'll say that is NOT a problem in all areas of OKW I've been in, but it is in those two buildings.

dianeschlicht
06-09-2009, 08:36 AM

If we accept the shortcomings and then make complaint after the fact, the issues have already been passed along to the next guest.

You are right too, Doc. I do think though, that housekeeping has taken a downturn at ALL DVC locations. I was disappointed in housekeeping at Jambo in January too. In fact, I had to compalin about the extra full cleaning I ordered and expected to pay for. They did it twice, and it still was not what I expected, but I also did not have to pay for it in the end. I'm not a picky person, so my expectatiopns are not for things to be in hospital condition like some folks seem to think they should be, but I DO expect that someone needs to do their job, and that's what I think is not being done ANYWHERE in DVC anymore. Sure, it can be little things, but those little things mount up over time. The shower door in our unit last month looked like it hadn't been so much as wiped down in months. There was a lot of soap scum on it, and I do know from taking care of my own house, that that doesn't happen overnight....it happens when something is neglected for a long time.

Dean
06-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I don't disagree with you there, Dean. I do know that cabinets etc are replaced as needed, and appliances have been done at least once or twice, but I really doubt the cabinet doors, tile, countertops etc have ever been done beyond the construction phase.

On the other hand....We usually have units in very good condition at OKW. That being said, there are a couple of buildings where the lack of "good" housekeeping is noticeable.

As you have seen me mention many times, I really enjoy buildings 45 and 46. On the other hand though, the housekeeper in charge of those two buildings is less than stellar at her job. I have found need to complain nearly every trip about housekeeping in those buildings. It's not big things, but when those little things go undone for several days, weeks etc, it adds up. One of those is the oven. I rarely get a unit in 45 or 46 that has a clean oven or clean refridgerator. I've actually quit complaining anymore, and just clean it myself, because even when calling, it hasn't been done right. Now, I'll say that is NOT a problem in all areas of OKW I've been in, but it is in those two buildings.The building I referenced above had new appliances including a new slide in stove with an opening left behind it where the stand alone stove would have been. There was a hole about 2 inches deep the width of the stove. There were newer Fridge and Dishwasher, and a newer whirlpool. IMO, there's a difference between replacing a bad item on an as needed basis and a true refurbishment just as it takes more than new furniture, new appliances, new carpet and new paint to be a hard refurbishment, IMO. I believe they need to rip out all the cabinets, redesign the kitchen and LR area as well as likely the bath area, new countertops, all new cabinets, etc. To go further, rather than just going with the same exact thing but new, I think a totally new version based on the same underlying theme is in order. If DVC actually had working member meetings like some other timeshares, there'd be a much better understanding of the issues on both sides.

Actually we had no cleaning complaints though there were a few missing items as I mentioned.

dianeschlicht
06-09-2009, 08:48 AM
If DVC actually had working member meetings like some other timeshares, there'd be a much better understanding of the issues on both sides.

I agree with that too! I think the member meetings are such a farce. The first time we went to one, I was very disappointed. On the other hand, I understand why they do them that way. I really wish we did have more of a voice though.

disnefile
06-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I really hate to see this focus only on OKW. It is the oldest resort so it is natural that more maintenance would be needed. I am not concerned as much with houskeeping either. It is hit or miss at any hotel or resort. The problem we have had is that furniture is damaged or not replaced, carpet is worn and tacking is coming through, broken tile etc. This was also an issue for us at the BWV and Beach club. That is why I am concerned. It seems to be getting worse. At our BWV stay had big hole in carpet, missing table and two different chairs on the balcony. There is no excuse for these issues. Do we members do this much damage? We rarely complain but on our last trip my wife was not happy and wrote a letter. No response.

dianeschlicht
06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
So the Jacuzzi was different too??? I've always had the same old kind in all the units we've stayed in at OKW. I also don't think I've seen the "drop in" stove anwhere either.

If OKW goes to the flat screen tvs, I hope they put it over that counter beyond the dining table, and turn the island into storage (either food or otherwise). We end up using the big cabinet over by the table for lots of storage. I just think it would be more convenient to have the TV there and the table near the kitchen.

dianeschlicht
06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I really hate to see this focus only on OKW. It is the oldest resort so it is natural that more maintenance would be needed. I am not concerned as much with houskeeping either. It is hit or miss at any hotel or resort. The problem we have had is that furniture is damaged or not replaced, carpet is worn and tacking is coming through, broken tile etc. This was also an issue for us at the BWV and Beach club. That is why I am concerned. It seems to be getting worse. At our BWV stay had big hole in carpet, missing table and two different chairs on the balcony. There is no excuse for these issues. Do we members do this much damage? We rarely complain but on our last trip my wife was not happy and wrote a letter. No response.

That bolded part of your statement is the part that disturbs me most. I did, in fact speak to the manager at OKW last month about what should be expected on a stay. He said there should be NO evidence of the previous occupants...be it hair, leftovers, etc. It just seems to me that things aren't being inspected like they should be...either for housekeeping OR maintenance issues.

A couple stays ago I was disappointed that when they had replaced lock sets etc. on some of the doors at our OKW unit, they had used a different color of hardware. That makes things look sloppy.

disnefile
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
That bolded part of your statement is the part that disturbs me most. I did, in fact speak to the manager at OKW last month about what should be expected on a stay. He said there should be NO evidence of the previous occupants...be it hair, leftovers, etc. It just seems to me that things aren't being inspected like they should be...either for housekeeping OR maintenance issues.

A couple stays ago I was disappointed that when they had replaced lock sets etc. on some of the doors at our OKW unit, they had used a different color of hardware. That makes things look sloppy.

Diane , you are right.

Pete

dianeschlicht
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I really hate to see this focus only on OKW. It is the oldest resort so it is natural that more maintenance would be needed.
True, but just because it is the oldest does not mean it shouldn't be maintained. Isn't that what our maintenance fees are supposed to cover????

I Love OKW! I just have noticed a definite downturn in service and condition in the past year versus the past 12 years. Most of it can and is overlooked by us, but I just keep thinking how much worse it might get in the next year or two.

Dean
06-09-2009, 09:00 AM
I agree with that too! I think the member meetings are such a farce. The first time we went to one, I was very disappointed. On the other hand, I understand why they do them that way. I really wish we did have more of a voice though.There's nothing like sitting down with a manager or experienced assistant manager, room controller, etc and talking shop about a given resort, at least for us timeshare geeks and those that care about our resorts. You get info you'd never get otherwise. Things like what's going on with the local government, what savings might be expected from certain cost savings measures, sharing fabric boards and specific refurbishment plans, etc. I'd say that every single one I've been to has produced an understanding and information I would not have had a chance to achieve without such a meeting. If nothing else, the fact that a GM thinks enough of the owners to plan for such a meeting and take time out of his/her day to attend dragging 2 to 4 other folks (room controller, chief of maint, secretary, assistant manager, etc) speaks volumes. Not a lot of people do it but some do and I find it very helpful.

Dean
06-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I really hate to see this focus only on OKW. It is the oldest resort so it is natural that more maintenance would be needed. I am not concerned as much with houskeeping either. It is hit or miss at any hotel or resort. The problem we have had is that furniture is damaged or not replaced, carpet is worn and tacking is coming through, broken tile etc. This was also an issue for us at the BWV and Beach club. That is why I am concerned. It seems to be getting worse. At our BWV stay had big hole in carpet, missing table and two different chairs on the balcony. There is no excuse for these issues. Do we members do this much damage? We rarely complain but on our last trip my wife was not happy and wrote a letter. No response.IMO, this is only partly about OKW. Ultimately it is a judgment, some would say an indictment, of how DVC is going to manage and keep up their resorts as a whole. IMO, essentially anything that has been said about OKW could potentially be said about any given resort over time. We'll have to see how DVC handles themselves the next 5-7 years, we should know by then how this is going to go with the age of OKW, VB, HH and BWV. There are already many who believe that if you compare DVC resorts to other top Orlando resorts side by side, that the DVC resorts do not measure up.

So the Jacuzzi was different too??? I've always had the same old kind in all the units we've stayed in at OKW. I also don't think I've seen the "drop in" stove anwhere either.

If OKW goes to the flat screen tvs, I hope they put it over that counter beyond the dining table, and turn the island into storage (either food or otherwise). We end up using the big cabinet over by the table for lots of storage. I just think it would be more convenient to have the TV there and the table near the kitchen.The Whirlpool was nice. It had a rubber button rather than the metal touch but did still have the water level sensor. The stove was nice but the hole behind was strange. Now you're coming around to my way of thinking of needing more than just the same but new and would include totally new and different cabinets. IMO they could easily do so without altering the underlying theme at all, YMMV.

dianeschlicht
06-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Now you're coming around to my way of thinking of needing more than just the same but new and would include totally new and different cabinets. IMO they could easily do so without altering the underlying theme at all, YMMV.

Yes, I do think a total redo can be done and still stick to the underlying theme, but if the "replacements" that have been done in the past are any indication, it doesn't appear that the individual resorts themselves worry too much about "theme". It's kind of like when the original throw rugs under the coffee tables in the GVs at OKW were replaced by the dark green ones that looked more like they belonged at Boardwalk instead of OKW. That dark green color had NOTHING to do with the rest of the decor at OKW.

Dean
06-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Yes, I do think a total redo can be done and still stick to the underlying theme, but if the "replacements" that have been done in the past are any indication, it doesn't appear that the individual resorts themselves worry too much about "theme". It's kind of like when the original throw rugs under the coffee tables in the GVs at OKW were replaced by the dark green ones that looked more like they belonged at Boardwalk instead of OKW. That dark green color had NOTHING to do with the rest of the decor at OKW.That would give them even more leeway. I do think they take theme into account and it would certainly need to be a major consideration in the arena I am suggesting.

sgtdisney
06-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I think a full hard refurbishment at OKW is needed as well. We've never had rooms in bad condition ourselves aside for a little wear and tear, except for two years ago where there were wet towels let behind, etc. A quick call to housekeeping took care of that.

I just think that OKW needs (and deserves) a major redo. I am sure Disney has designers at hand that can keep the kitschy, island theme we love about OKW and bring the decor into the new millenium. All the newer DVC units have granite couters which have become very popular now, as ceramic tile counters have gone out of favor. The carpet at OKW has always bugged me too. We had nicer carpet when the resort first opened and then they replaced with that flecked blue industrial carpeting.

I hope that they do some kind of larger, hard rehab to keep OKW the flagship DVC resort, as it really is.

dianeschlicht
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I think a full hard refurbishment at OKW is needed as well. We've never had rooms in bad condition ourselves aside for a little wear and tear, except for two years ago where there were wet towels let behind, etc. A quick call to housekeeping took care of that.

I just think that OKW needs (and deserves) a major redo. I am sure Disney has designers at hand that can keep the kitschy, island theme we love about OKW and bring the decor into the new millenium. All the newer DVC units have granite couters which have become very popular now, as ceramic tile counters have gone out of favor. The carpet at OKW has always bugged me too. We had nicer carpet when the resort first opened and then they replaced with that flecked blue industrial carpeting.

I hope that they do some kind of larger, hard rehab to keep OKW the flagship DVC resort, as it really is.

You know, at first the solid surface counters at OKW didn't bother me, but they are starting to look bad. But then, granite can look bad too if it isn't taken care of. In January, I noticed how bad the granite looked in the ladies restroom down by the restaurants at AKL. Last month, I also noted that they had been refinished and were looking nice and new again. There IS a significant maintenance issue with granite, and if the housekeeping staff isn't up to their snuff about it, they can do a lot of damage to them.

sgtdisney
06-09-2009, 10:05 AM
You know, at first the solid surface counters at OKW didn't bother me, but they are starting to look bad. But then, granite can look bad too if it isn't taken care of. In January, I noticed how bad the granite looked in the ladies restroom down by the restaurants at AKL. Last month, I also noted that they had been refinished and were looking nice and new again. There IS a significant maintenance issue with granite, and if the housekeeping staff isn't up to their snuff about it, they can do a lot of damage to them.

This is true, granite does have maintenance requirements, but any type of counter, or furniture for that matter can be damaged with incorrect maintenance. They could use one of the new quartz products as well, like Zodiac, as those seem to require less maintance and are very durable. Although, if there was a hard refurb schedule and they replaced the counters every 10-12 years or so, it probably wouldn't be a big problem.

Sammie
06-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Please contact Member Satisfaction. Sense every decision that DVC seems to make is made based on member feedback, Jim Lewis's words, we have to let them know that letting the existing resorts fall down around our heads while DVC continues to build new resorts is not acceptable.

The maintenance issues really concern me, what the heck are they spending our dues on. :confused3 If some members are truly doing so much damage that DVC and our dues can not keep the property up to the standard it had when built, we need to start assessing fines to those doing the damage.

I really hope maintenance concerns will be addressed at the next Association meeting in Dec.

disnefile
06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
At our boardwalk stay we had a white chair that was metal and a plactic geen chair. I forgot to mention the door to the balcony did not lock. It was only a one night stay and we got there late so no use in complaining about the lock until we checked out. Don't they do a quality control check periodically? But the dirtiy and damaged rung was the worst. If I were paying the going rate for the room, I would have not accepted it.

Pete

movie77
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
As I said, I've asked that question of several different upper level management type people who acted like it was asked in a foreign language, maybe they didn't understand southern. My impression on all occasions was there was no formal master plan, that it would be handled as things came up. If you get anything else, let us know.

Can't say that I'm super suprised. We're new DVC members, but my initial impressions are that things are great a first glance, but not a lot of long term thought or care about what members think. This is a great example. As the operator of one of the largerst timeshares in the world you would think DVC would be up on industry standards and have an answer at the ready when asked about the soft/hard refurb plans.

movie77
06-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I found this whole thread pretty interesting as it relates to what to expect in the future. I understand the idea that housekeeping can be "hit or miss" but at the DVC prices I would hope for about a 95% hit ratio and not sure if that is happening from the comments here. If tiles are broken, carpet worn out etc. I'm not even sure why we should have to complain about that. Unless the DVC management really doesn't want to keep up a high standard for their facilities. How hard is it too walk around and look and have housekeeping report back on worn items if it is a priority. My hunch is its not a priority otherwise it would already be fixed and this thread wouldn't exist.

Dean
06-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Can't say that I'm super suprised. We're new DVC members, but my initial impressions are that things are great a first glance, but not a lot of long term thought or care about what members think. This is a great example. As the operator of one of the largerst timeshares in the world you would think DVC would be up on industry standards and have an answer at the ready when asked about the soft/hard refurb plans.Let me expand. As I said, I've asked, and those that I asked didn't know or at least acted like they didn't. I'm sure they actually have some type of overall plan, they really have to have one to function long term. However, it appears that plan is to only fix what they have to along and to go with the same exact design down to the same tiles. Done appropriately, this is not a bad plan, just not the best plan, IMO. IF they were truly doing that well, I suspect we wouldn't have this thread going like it is. Also it has appears to me there isn't a set formal schedule of when it's to be done but rather they wait until many of the units in a given area force them to do so, again, a mistake IMO IF this is the case.

Another thing that many resort do when making major upgrades is to create a test unit. It allows them to test the materials, see how things fit together if there are substantial changes and to allow members to see the changes and give feedback. Even if the materials look the same they are not always of the same quality or hold up as well as expected. This approach can head off lots of issues.

Deb & Bill
06-09-2009, 01:38 PM
...Can I have the villa cleaned at my own expense before check in?...

It will be cleaned before check in. All villas are cleaned before a new guest checks in. Did you want something different?

Brian Noble
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
go with the same exact design down to the same tiles. Done appropriately, this is not a bad plan, just not the best plan, IMO.
Disney being disney, though, changing e.g. the color of the tiles is not a decision to take lightly, and ceratinly not a decision that the captial-G-Guests would be involved in. This is squarely in the province of WDI, and they don't do anything without doing everything, because of course there has to be a story to everything they do.

That's really expensive, especially at WDI's internal transfer cost rate.

Expect nothing---not one thing---to change unless it absolutely has to. For example, the TVs will probably change, because sooner or later you simply won't be able to buy a CRT television. But, it will go exactly where it is now, because that's how WDI decreed it shall be. There are benefits to this---the attention to detail in the original design is usually pretty fanatical---but one of the downsides is that once the story is in place, well, the story is in place.

In fact, I'm positively shocked at the report that door hardware can be different colors. That is Not How It Is Done at Disney.

Dean
06-09-2009, 01:52 PM
At a resort as large as OKW or even BWV, this really is an ongoing cycle. At least one cycle of refurbishment should be in the major planning stages at the same time that the last one is going on. One thing that happens sometimes though is that for major changes, it can often be cheaper to do them quicker rather than over time. Again, using OKW as an example and making the assumption they were planning to do as I suggest, a major redo, about 12-13 of the buildings should be undergoing some type of refurbishment per year. However, to spread a major expense with new counters and the extra costs of a hard refurbishment out over 5 years increased the cost and creates uncertainty for budgeting, not to mention unit requests. I know one of the Marriott's that had this plan and actually moved things up to do 10 buildings in 3 years rather than the 2 of 10 per year originally planned exactly for this reason. They actually did the last 60% all in a year because they found it to be that much cheaper to do so. That would be harder to do at WDW because it is not nearly as seasonal as is HH but the principles still apply. That's especially true now when one can get better contractor rates and material costs in the current economy.

Disney being disney, though, changing e.g. the color of the tiles is not a decision to take lightly, and ceratinly not a decision that the captial-G-Guests would be involved in. This is squarely in the province of WDI, and they don't do anything without doing everything, because of course there has to be a story to everything they do.

That's really expensive, especially at WDI's internal transfer cost rate.

Expect nothing---not one thing---to change unless it absolutely has to. For example, the TVs will probably change, because sooner or later you simply won't be able to buy a CRT television. But, it will go exactly where it is now, because that's how WDI decreed it shall be. There are benefits to this---the attention to detail in the original design is usually pretty fanatical---but one of the downsides is that once the story is in place, well, the story is in place.

In fact, I'm positively shocked at the report that door hardware can be different colors. That is Not How It Is Done at Disney.True to a point Brian but IMO, things have changed over time. IMO it would be relatively easy at OKW to keep the same theme and make the type of changes I suggest. The cost would be no more than doing the same quality without attention to the theme. It would not be difficult to change the carpet, tiles, counters, furniture and cabinets without affecting the attention to theme detail. ASAMOF, I think things like flat screen TV's, reduced costs of granite and corian, newer appliance trends should actually force much of what I would suggest. VWL, SSR and AKV might be a little more of an issue due to the intricacies of such a change but those too should be doable with consideration of the issues involved.

Brian Noble
06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes, it would be easy to do, and over time it might well be cheaper to upgrade the look of the materials. But, nothing at Disney is easy, and I can't imagine that DVD/DVC has design freedom over refurbishments. It's just not the way Parks & Resorts works.

Dean
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Yes, it would be easy to do, and over time it might well be cheaper to upgrade the look of the materials. But, nothing at Disney is easy, and I can't imagine that DVD/DVC has design freedom over refurbishments. It's just not the way Parks & Resorts works.I doubt Marriott is any easier because they control which contractors and suppliers you can use and they take a cut off the top for management as I'm sure DVC does. For example, Marriott took on the owners at Beach Place Towers and told they they couldn't make certain choices they were trying to make. Marriott has made a decision to offer a certain level of and consistency of amenities, much like DVC did when they made the decision to have all villa amenities exactly the same. The resort was going to redo with 37 in off brand flat screens and Marriott said they had to use 42 in Sony's, among a number of other similar issues. They compromised with 40 in Sony's and in a few other places. Marriott threatened to cut ties with the resort. Besides the TV issues, the main one was charging members for parking which the resort planned to do and Marriott said no. IMO, Marriott was more on the correct side than the members and the resort in this case at the expense of the owners at that resort.

hmmerr02
06-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Let me expand. As I said, I've asked, and those that I asked didn't know or at least acted like they didn't. I'm sure they actually have some type of overall plan, they really have to have one to function long term. However, it appears that plan is to only fix what they have to along and to go with the same exact design down to the same tiles. Done appropriately, this is not a bad plan, just not the best plan, IMO. IF they were truly doing that well, I suspect we wouldn't have this thread going like it is. Also it has appears to me there isn't a set formal schedule of when it's to be done but rather they wait until many of the units in a given area force them to do so, again, a mistake IMO IF this is the case.

Another thing that many resort do when making major upgrades is to create a test unit. It allows them to test the materials, see how things fit together if there are substantial changes and to allow members to see the changes and give feedback. Even if the materials look the same they are not always of the same quality or hold up as well as expected. This approach can head off lots of issues.

As the thread originator I thought it was time to comment again. A few questions have been asked about my handling of the situation. I did not handle it perfectly. The issues in the living room I did not address until check out. (carpet, stained sofa, broken chair). We were traveling with an infant/toddler and extended family. I knew moving units or having maintenance in several times was not going to work for us. And that is my fault. The issues of cleanliness in the bathroom I wasn't aware of until toward the end of my trip. It was in my parents room and they had not wanted to complain and embarrass me. So, I definately did not allow them the opportunity to fix the problems.

However, with that being said, these problems were so blatant that I don't feel like they should have existed. Certain things will happen and be overlooked, but large stains and broken furniture has to just be ignored by mousekeeping. There is no other way to avoid seeing it. I agree throughout this thread about the concern of the future of the DVC resorts based on the decline of OKW. As with the Contemporary, there comes a time to update and redo the interior of the room to make it modern and new. I love the theming of OKW...don't get me wrong. But I would like it even more if it had clean, new furniture, carpeting, reasonable beds and newer appliances/electronics.

I have not heard back from member satisfaction about the issues. I emailed them on Friday and got an automate3d response that I would hear from within 5 business days.

I love Disney and DVC. I just want my investment cared for for my benefit and yours. Yes, we expect higher standards from Disney. It's not an unfair expectation because they have maintained it for decades in their other resorts and in my opinion, a DVC property should be no different. Especially like another poster said...since OKW is the "flagship" DVC resort. I appreciate all the info and comments posted here.

toocherie
06-09-2009, 03:08 PM
I love Disney and DVC. I just want my investment cared for for my benefit and yours. Yes, we expect higher standards from Disney. It's not an unfair expectation because they have maintained it for decades in their other resorts and in my opinion, a DVC property should be no different. Especially like another poster said...since OKW is the "flagship" DVC resort. I appreciate all the info and comments posted here.

Please let us know how and when Member Satisfaction does respond to you.

Dean
06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
As the thread originator I thought it was time to comment again. A few questions have been asked about my handling of the situation. I did not handle it perfectly. The issues in the living room I did not address until check out. (carpet, stained sofa, broken chair). We were traveling with an infant/toddler and extended family. I knew moving units or having maintenance in several times was not going to work for us. And that is my fault. The issues of cleanliness in the bathroom I wasn't aware of until toward the end of my trip. It was in my parents room and they had not wanted to complain and embarrass me. So, I definately did not allow them the opportunity to fix the problems.

However, with that being said, these problems were so blatant that I don't feel like they should have existed. Certain things will happen and be overlooked, but large stains and broken furniture has to just be ignored by mousekeeping. There is no other way to avoid seeing it. I agree throughout this thread about the concern of the future of the DVC resorts based on the decline of OKW. As with the Contemporary, there comes a time to update and redo the interior of the room to make it modern and new. I love the theming of OKW...don't get me wrong. But I would like it even more if it had clean, new furniture, carpeting, reasonable beds and newer appliances/electronics.

I have not heard back from member satisfaction about the issues. I emailed them on Friday and got an automate3d response that I would hear from within 5 business days.

I love Disney and DVC. I just want my investment cared for for my benefit and yours. Yes, we expect higher standards from Disney. It's not an unfair expectation because they have maintained it for decades in their other resorts and in my opinion, a DVC property should be no different. Especially like another poster said...since OKW is the "flagship" DVC resort. I appreciate all the info and comments posted here.The delay doesn't change the appropriateness of your comments, only the opportunities to correct the issue. This is one of the reasons I stated it's not always possible to do so at the time. I'm certain they will respond, this has always been an area where Disney, esp DVC, excels.

Brian Noble
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I doubt Marriott is any easier because they control which contractors and suppliers you can use and they take a cut off the top for management as I'm sure DVC does.
It's one thing to require a certain minimum level of furnishings and amenities---sizes and brands of television, or thread count of sheet.

It's quite another to argue over whether this particular shade of aqua says "island time" more than that particular shade of aqua---and that's the sort of discussion Imagineering has all the time. If you haven't yet, take a gander at John Hench's excellent book "Desinging Disney" to get a sense for the level of control over detail that Imagineering typically has in any P&R project.

Dean
06-09-2009, 03:27 PM
It's one thing to require a certain minimum level of furnishings and amenities---sizes and brands of television, or thread count of sheet.

It's quite another to argue over whether this particular shade of aqua says "island time" more than that particular shade of aqua---and that's the sort of discussion Imagineering has all the time. If you haven't yet, take a gander at John Hench's excellent book "Desinging Disney" to get a sense for the level of control over detail that Imagineering typically has in any P&R project.I am quite aware but to get to that point you've first got to decide to head toward the hurdle. It's hard to imagine that they couldn't agree something needs to be done and that's where I think your point comes in, what to do and how to do it. It's like draft day for a sports team, there has to be someone who takes all the info and makes a final decision when the groups don't agree. If not, nothing of significance will every get done. I'd like to think that's Jim Lewis in DVC's situation and this is where his marketing background should help him.

Brian Noble
06-09-2009, 03:36 PM
That's a fair point---and ultimlately, WDI's "customer" (which in this case would be OKW management) has a large say. But, WDI has to be involved, and that alone makes things ridiculously expensive, 'cause unlike Dumbo, they don't work for peanuts.

Dean
06-09-2009, 04:02 PM
That's a fair point---and ultimlately, WDI's "customer" (which in this case would be OKW management) has a large say. But, WDI has to be involved, and that alone makes things ridiculously expensive, 'cause unlike Dumbo, they don't work for peanuts.No doubt as I referenced Marriott's hand in the pocket as well. I doubt Disney is any different, just not as obvious.

hmmerr02
06-10-2009, 06:26 PM
I heard from member satisfaction today. They called and apologize for my experience. "Regretfully" there is nothing more they can do than to ensure my next experience will be better. Funny....I had already assumed that it would be. Anyway, I thought I'd let everyone know. She did say that OKW is slated for a hard refirbishment, although she couldn't tell me the timeline. Pretty uneventful ending, you guys. Thanks for all the discussion. I have enjoyed reading it.

Debbie H
06-11-2009, 12:09 AM

That's fine but there should not be anything dripping out of the fan in the bathroom onto the toilet seat. I also don't think they should be in the condition that it was in when we arrived. We are currently at SSR and it is very nice. A little tired though of trying to get into our home resort and it being sold out because of everyone staying at OKW because the points are cheaper though.

Dean
06-11-2009, 06:28 AM
That's fine but there should not be anything dripping out of the fan in the bathroom onto the toilet seat. I also don't think they should be in the condition that it was in when we arrived. We are currently at SSR and it is very nice. A little tired though of trying to get into our home resort and it being sold out because of everyone staying at OKW because the points are cheaper though.OKW is still easier to reserve overall than everywhere else at WDW other than SSR. How far out are you reserving?

YoTony2
06-11-2009, 07:18 AM
It will be cleaned before check in. All villas are cleaned before a new guest checks in. Did you want something different?

Hi Deb & Bill:

I am just worried about the cleanliness issues I have been reading here (especially it seems about Old Key West). I
was wondering if I could pay extra for a better cleaning before check-in?

Thanks!

dianeschlicht
06-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Hi Deb & Bill:

I am just worried about the cleanliness issues I have been reading here (especially it seems about Old Key West). I
was wondering if I could pay extra for a better cleaning before check-in?

Thanks!

That is going to be totally up to the efficiency of the specific mousekeeper that does an individual unit. We have noted that there are some buildings who have excellent cleaning services and some that do not. Unfortunately, my favorite buildings at OKW do NOT have the best mousekeeping "team", but I know that, and I deal with it by informing the manager each time. I'm specific too. I usually ask for mousekeeping to correct the issue as well, but I KNOW that in that particular building, it still isn't going to be done the way I would like. It's just like anything else...If a mousekeeper isn't good at cleaning their own home, they aren't likely to have the same expectation of what is "clean" at the workplace either. Each person brings a different level to each job, and it's what we can or will accept that drives what happens from there. It is my hope that if management sees a lot of complaints from a specific area, they will "do something about it".

katmittens
06-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Does anyone know when this hard refurbishment will take place and what it will consist of. We are going in January so I am concerned.

hmmerr02
06-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Does anyone know when this hard refurbishment will take place and what it will consist of. We are going in January so I am concerned.

The lady I spoke with did not know the exact date of the hard refirb. My opinion would be not in the immediate future because they don't seem to have a definate plan in place.

ascardino
06-11-2009, 11:48 AM
...We have noted that there are some buildings who have excellent cleaning services and some that do not. Unfortunately, my favorite buildings at OKW do NOT have the best mousekeeping "team",...

So, I have lost track based on cleanliness and location, what would those familiar with OKW recommend in terms of requesting a building for us newbies who have children than will want to use the main pool and the facilities as well as a nice view etc. :goodvibes

Chic
06-11-2009, 01:36 PM
You will need to see if there is a "Near the Hospitality House" location available. This is a "room category" and does not require anymore points. Once again, this is a booking category and not a room request. This will guarantee you a building close to the main pool. I would call Member Services today and inquire.

Dean
06-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know when this hard refurbishment will take place and what it will consist of. We are going in January so I am concerned.The "what it will consist of" is they key. My definition is pretty inclusive and I've stated what I feel a true hard refurbishment consists of, essentially a total redo of the unit. In 15 years of membership I have never seen a hard refurbishment at a DVC resort, I'm hoping they actually start with them.

Malaguti Ball Clan
06-11-2009, 07:54 PM
We are heading down to OKW Sunday for a week and then over to SSR for a week, although we rented the OKW points, we are new members and the SSR stay is on DP's. Apparently at some point during the rental process I became VERY THIRSTY FOR KOOLAID:rotfl2:

My only request at OKW was a building number above 30 because of the entrance into the bath.

IF we end up with one of the crappy rooms I am reading about...STAND BY!! I just want everyone to know that my wife will kill me and leave my body parts in the oven for the next guest to deal with...Please...Please...Please let the room be clean....wish me luck, as I might not make it back!!

Shelly F - Ohio
06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Sept of 2008 we went over to VWL and wanted to see what a DVC studio looked like so we were taken to see one. And low and behold it was one on a floor, 3rd floor, that was completly under construction. The CM applogized for taking us to see one that was on a floor off limits to the public but it was the best she could do for us. We could not even get to this floor via the elevator we had to get off at floor 2 and take the stairs to 3. For our Feb 2009 stay at VWL we went back to the 3rd floor to see the completed look. When we were there in Sept the carpet in the rooms as well as the hallway was ripped out, walls we repainted, new sofa beds ect.

DonnaO
06-15-2009, 11:11 AM
We had a horrible experience a year ago. The beds were like two rocks! There was pizza hanging off the outside of the building and a used pizza box thrown about. There were glasses with drinks on the railings. The rooms were not clean. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED. So disappointed that I asked for my points back. I suggest that anyone that stays with this problem, complain to management and DVC management. It is the only chance we have for fixing the problem.

sgtdisney
06-15-2009, 12:30 PM
We had a horrible experience a year ago. The beds were like two rocks! There was pizza hanging off the outside of the building and a used pizza box thrown about. There were glasses with drinks on the railings. The rooms were not clean. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED. So disappointed that I asked for my points back. I suggest that anyone that stays with this problem, complain to management and DVC management. It is the only chance we have for fixing the problem.

Did they refund your points, when you asked?

hmmerr02
06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Did they refund your points, when you asked?

did they refund?

epcotwanderer
06-15-2009, 02:24 PM
I stayed at OKW last October. My experience was great. The room was clean and tidy. We had a studio in Building 14.

M5ward
06-15-2009, 03:15 PM
I was at OKW last October in a two bedroom in building 22; we had absolutely no complaints. It was clean, nothing was broken, and everything was well stocked right down to the little washcloth animals. It was our first time at OKW, and we really enjoyed everything...the quiet, the view of the golf course fountains, Olivia's, the quiet pool, etc.