PDA

View Full Version : Coupons an Embarassment?

disneyfav4ever
06-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I was checking out at the store yesterday with my weekly big order, so of course I had a bunch of coupons. The lady behind me said, (very loudly, I'm sure so I could hear,) to her husband or whoever it was she was with, that if she used that many coupons she'd be embarassed to show her face in public.

How is saving money embarassing? I saved about 75% of my bill, I don't see anything embrassing about that! She was just a rude lady, and made me so mad.

mrsklamc
06-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I'd be embarrassed to spend more than I had to on something when I could get it cheaper by putting in a little effort.

java
06-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I would be embarassed that I was so stupid to spend full price on something when there were money saving options out there.

You are nicer than I am - I would have put her in her place.

pyrxtc
06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
this is a good place to vent. Some people are just rude ! You should have left happy that they paid 75% more than you did for their stuff.

JerseyMamaBear
Ii's snobs like her that are prob. so in debt or spend way over their means and can't save a dime! Dont give her and her credit card lovin tush a second thought! I am trying so hard to save money with coupons but just cant seem to get it down. Any suggestions from someone like you who knows their stuff would be a godsend! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

stella27
She was a witch. I think it's rude to talk about other people when they're standing right there. Sorry you had to endure that.:confused:

threecrazykids
06-05-2009, 03:19 PM
I believe the only people who say things like that are people who have more than enough money to feel comfortable and they feel that coupons indicate you are strapped for money and you should be embarassed that you've lowered yourself to trying to save $0.10, 0.25 here and there on coupons.

You know what I mean??? It's like saying "you're wasting more time than you are saving money etc...you should put more effort into increasing your income so you don't HAVE to use coupons to buy food".

I do agree that coupons (in large numbers) indicate that you've spent large amounts of time cutting and planning your grocery bill around them and those same people may believe that they are an embarassment.

She's basically indicating to you that she doesn't NEED to cut coupons to pay her grocery bill and you should be embarassed that you do.

She's just being a snob.:snooty:

TiffanyK
06-05-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm always impressed when I see a great couponer in action.

PaulaSue
06-05-2009, 03:22 PM
OP, I have a big mouth and I would have told her the same about saving so much and laugh at her for not using them.;)

TheDISneyFamily
06-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I've gotten that kind of reaction more than once... :rolleyes: ...but I just have to laugh. I'll continue to use my coupons and online discount codes. :teacher: The money I save on a yearly basis helps to fund our very nice vacations. See my DIS tags... Save & Splurge!!! :thumbsup2 You're not alone here! :grouphug:

look1angel
06-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I LOVE coupons. My husband thinks they're great too. I save close to $60.00 last time between my clipping & the stores discount (Krogers) Plus I save .10 per gallon on gas. If I can save a little bit here & there then by golly I will.

I say we take out the snob & tar her with coupons :rotfl2:

disneyfav4ever
I already feel better. Thanks you guys. :hug: I don't "have" to use coupons, but I get excited when I save a lot of money, and then I can put those savings to better use, like my trips to Disney World. :goodvibes

*KeepMovingForward*
We don't use coupons a whole lot, but that is only because we seem to do the bulk of our shopping at the warehouse clubs that don't accept them. Its been a while since I set foot in our regular supermarket, but when I do go there I'm not shy about offering up my coupon stack. The lady you encountered obviously had a pole up her backside. :confused3

GinCar
06-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I am jealous when I see people with more coupons than me!!:lmao:

The way of thinking that the lady (I use that term loosely) was expressing is the same attitude that has America in so much trouble financially, now. We are supposedly the richest nation on earth, but look at our debt- that is not rich.

I am so sorry you had to listen to a rude comment, but please know that you are not alone. There are a lot of smart people here on the budget board.:thumbsup2

mom of 3G's
06-05-2009, 03:40 PM

:thumbsup2 Me, too.

ELLE-TN
06-05-2009, 03:43 PM
That lady was an IDIOT!

Handbag Lady
06-05-2009, 03:43 PM
What an awful person.

I wish I was there to put her in her place.

and I would have made fun of her shoes, too.

Tink_fanatic
06-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I would be embarassed that I was so stupid to spend full price on something when there were money saving options out there.

I agree with you...I would have told her about herself and what she could with what she had to say...all why I had a giant smile on my face :rotfl:

ExPirateShopGirl
06-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Whether you have to or not, there's nothing wrong with using coupons. If I had the time and the newspaper, I would clip them and use them as well. Instead, I end up shopping at 3 stores close by and I buy the milk where it's cheapest, the meat where it's cheapest, etc.

Good luck on saving for your next trip!

I already feel better. Thanks you guys. :hug: I don't "have" to use coupons, but I get excited when I save a lot of money, and then I can put those savings to better use, like my trips to Disney World. :goodvibes

rdrjj5
06-05-2009, 03:48 PM
I feel guilty if I do not have a coupon for an item even if it is on sale!:lmao: Using coupons takes effort and planning. Time is money. If I can save $50 on a shopping trip and it took me an hour to plan, the way I look at it is I make $50 for an hour work toward something extra the family wants wether it be a vacation or sports activities. Don't ever feel bad about how you spend your money in this case less money!

TaraPA
06-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I use a lot of coupons every time too. If it's not on sale, or I don't have a coupon, I rarely buy it. Why she felt too entitled to use coupons is beyond me. It would have made me mad too.

I would have made sure I drove by her real slowly in my big *** paid-for Lexus on my way out too....laughing all the way....

Free4Life11
06-05-2009, 03:59 PM
I'd be embarassed that I was such a royal *****! She can MYOB and I would have taken my sweet time handing over each coupon INVIDIVUALLY.

PHXscuba
06-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I am not ashamed of my coupons!

But I do try to be observant about those around me. If I have a ton of stuff and coupons and the person behind me only has a few things, I let them go in front of me as long as I'm not in a huge rush. If not, I smile sweetly ;) and warn the person that I will probably take a little longer because of my great coupons (or if I'm price-matching at Wal-mart). I try to have my coupons, credit card, rain checks, etc. ready.

Anyone who has a problem with me after all that can find another line!

PHXscuba

kathie859
06-05-2009, 04:01 PM

What she said!!!:goodvibes

NeverlandClub23
06-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Was this at Walmart? I've had several "line altercations" with people at Walmart. From a lady telling me how inappropriate it was to just put a handbasket on the conveyor belt and not taking the 5 items out and putting them on the conveyor belt, to not putting the little plastic divider thingie up behind my stuff on the belt to divide my items from theirs, and so on. I've never had anyone say a word to me anywhere else than Walmart. I don't shop there anymore as I do a lot of couponing and some local grocery stores carry the brands I like so I shop there.

Anyways, coupon away! I love coupons. And I'm so jealous when someone has a lot of coupons! :) Although I do get frustrated behind a disorganized couponer (but I would never say anything). When the order is rung up and the cashier is waiting for the customer and he/she is going through every single coupon in their envelope. I get all mine out before getting in line or if there's a long line, while in line.

MusiqChic99
06-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Why do people care if you use coupons or not? Especially enough to say something outloud like that. Crazy!

I agree with the others, I would feel stupid if I didn't use my coupons knowing I could have saved. Why pay full price if you dont have to?? I am a strict sale watcher on everything. I base my meals around sales. I feel no shame in that at all. I have a family to feed and if I can do it for a cheaper price I will.

Ignore bad attitudes. Too bad we cant spread pixie dust everywhere we go!

derocas
06-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I applaud people on line who know how to shop. It should be embarrassing to pay more than you have to. Seriously, coupons indicate a smart shopper. There's a reason why our country is in a recession. People are living beyond their means. You (whether you need to or not) are being a responsible consumer. I think that if more people followed your lead we wouldn't be in such a mess.........just my two cents!!!! Bravo for saving 75% of your bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool1: If anyone cared to comment on my coupon use I would just tell them that they are welcome to pay my bills if they have extra money to throw away, if not they can keep their comments to themselves!

MagiKitty
06-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Too bad there isn't a coupon for tact and manners. That woman deserved one. It was uncalled for to make any comment, but one so obviously directed at you within earshot just demonstrates her lack of consideration.

Never let someone else's poor attitude get you down! I am a proud couponer...more often than not, my pile of coupons gets admiration from the cashier and others. I save money because I can and it feels great. Why pay more than you have to?

I once had an incident when a cashier couldn't get my coupon to work. She just put it aside. I asked her what she was doing and she said, "well, its only a dollar". And I told her to give me a two dollars out of her pocket then because the coupon was supposed to be doubled. She figured out a way to scan that coupon really quick!

Mermaid02
06-05-2009, 04:45 PM
One day when I was at the grocery store the woman in front of me paid less than $15 for a cart FULL of groceries.... I didn't know her but I said to her- "That just made my day!" and it did! I love to save money and I love to see other people save money too! Keep clipping those coupons!!

StephMK
06-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow, that was extremely rude! I like coupons & am trying to get better about matching them for more savings like you got today.

How does that woman know that you haven't been unemployed for 4 months, disabled husband, sick child, etc. and need to save every penny you've got to save your house, pay medical bills, whatever.... That was extremely insensitive of herself to judge like that!

auroralark
06-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Wow! Talk about being rude! She was probably just annoyed she had to wait 3 extra seconds for the coupons to be scanned. :rolleyes: You should not feel embarrassed at all. You should be proud of saving so much money! That woman was just ignorant, imho.

kittychatalot
06-05-2009, 05:17 PM
The very people who could really use the help of coupons don't use them sometimes because of some crazy sense of pride. i have a family member who I know id not well off - and when we recently went out to a fairly expensive restaurant and used a coupon, which I brought for her to use since she demanded to treat me to the dinner, she seemed really embarrassed about it! I had to give it to the server! Oh well- I dont care- people had better give me coupons, lol!

MOMTOMOOTOO
06-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I use coupons although not as much as I used to. With all my kids an hectic life, I am lucky enough to remember to food shop sometimes;)

This is a true coupon story. One afternoon a few years back my DH and I went to a matinee showing of The Green Mile. Of course I had some coupons for snacks and my DH just was rolling his eyes because he was"embarassed". Well this couple in fron of us at the snack counter were dressed to the nines, she in a full length mink. They ordered and were about to pay when the man says wait, I have a coupon for popcorn. The voice was familiar and I looked up to see it was Geraldo Rivera and his wife:lmao: My Dh has never been embarssed by a coupon again:thumbsup2

keywestbride
06-05-2009, 05:26 PM
If I were in line with you, I would have told her that if I were HER I would be embarrassed for being so rude, and for wasting money. Then I would have high-fived you for saving 75%.

maggiew
06-05-2009, 05:26 PM
This happens a lot to me when I go to CVS. People will huff and puff and fidget, etc. Then when the cashier says, "That will be .15" their eyes open wide and they often say "Wow" or "How do you do that?".

People think you are "only" saving .15 and it can't be worth it to clip coupons. But when they can see how much of a savings it is, they often change their mind.

Keep on Couponing!!!! :teacher:

Maggie

thebeesknees
06-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Don't pay her any attention. I see nothing to be embarrassed about. I'm a SAHM, and figure that since I'm not actually earning money, my contribution to the household is to save as much as I can when I'm shopping for what we need. I was so excited last night when I went to the grocery store - before my coupons and instant rebates, the bill was $169; after everything was applied, it came to just under $40! I practically danced out of the store!

zachnsamsmommy
06-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Well...about the comment about not needing coupons b/c you are so well off...

My dad and step mom now live in a $500,000 house, with no mortgage or car payments b/c he was so frugal when we were growing up. And he still uses coupons and takes his own trash (to save money).

I think many of those well off worked their tail off (including coupons and other saving methods) to be well off.

I'm proud when I save money cutting coupons! And when others do to!

surfergirl602
06-05-2009, 06:01 PM
wow, I would have replied back with how much money I saved!! Geesh, what rude people! She was just jealous!!!

Where does everyone get all of these awesome coupons? I can't seem to find anything worthwhile!

disneymom3
06-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Too bad there isn't a coupon for tact and manners. That woman deserved one. It was uncalled for to make any comment, but one so obviously directed at you within earshot just demonstrates her lack of consideration.

Your entire post was spot on but I had to quote this part as I loved your opening comment! :lmao:

I think that lady is just deluded adn crabby. My mom used coupons and saved every penny. She then left each of her 8 kids well over a year's income in inheritance. AFTER living in assisted living for three years. She didn't NEED to use coupons but why the heck not? It's not like the manufacturer's print them and then sit around the board room saying "Gee, I hope no one uses those coupons."

MagiKitty
06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
surfergirl602, most of my coupons are just from Sundays paper. But I live in an area where I can get both the New York and Jersey papers, and they each have their own coupons. My local paper carries supermarket coupons on Wednesdays.

Walmart also publishes a magazine called All You that is full of coupons. They almost always have a Colgate coupon--I don't think I've paid for toothpaste in years! They also have some good cosmetic coupons, sometimes for free items.

Hope this helps, my coupon-sister!

Topper
06-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Ii's snobs like her that are prob. so in debt or spend way over their means and can't save a dime! Dont give her and her credit card lovin tush a second thought! I am trying so hard to save money with coupons but just cant seem to get it down. Any suggestions from someone like you who knows their stuff would be a godsend! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

How do we determine from the OP's post that:

1) the lady was a snob

2) they are in debt/spend over their means/can't save a dime

3) that she is a credit card lovin tush

Jakesmom1
06-05-2009, 06:34 PM
I am a coupon nut, and I love it.

When I get the supermarket sale pamphlets in my newspaper, I sit down and make my list for groceries for the week, then I look at all the sales and see who has what on sale that match my list, then I go thru my coupons to see what matches, It takes about a half of an hour and I can save at least $20-$30 a week off my groceries. If something is on sale and its not on my list, it would have to be a really good deal for me to buy it.

Now I would love to save 75%, how do you do it?

And as for that lady behind you in line, she doesnt know what she's missing, more money saved in groceries is more money for Disney and other fun things.

Nina1
06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
I once had an incident when a cashier couldn't get my coupon to work. She just put it aside. I asked her what she was doing and she said, "well, its only a dollar". And I told her to give me a two dollars out of her pocket then because the coupon was supposed to be doubled. She figured out a way to scan that coupon really quick!

LOVE THIS!!! Great comeback! :rotfl:

Nina1
06-05-2009, 06:57 PM
You are my hero! I saved $40 tonight and thought I saved alot, that is, until I read your post. :goodvibes I'm a SAHM and I use coupons religiously. Every little bit helps and I always feel great when I save some of our hard-earned money (even though my husband is the one who technically earns the paycheck, the money is ours). And, I feel even better when we're using some of that saved money at WDW. You keep on using your coupons and be proud of yourself.

As for the woman behind you, I'd have sweetly offered her a coupon for Elmer's Glue so she could glue her mouth shut.

Juliet25
06-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I feel guilty if I do not have a coupon for an item even if it is on sale!:lmao:

Me too. :thumbsup2

I never feel embarrassed using coupons. I remember taking my youngest to Target last summer when she was a baby. I had a bunch of coupons to use and, of course, the cashier had to question every last one of them. The lady behind me was pushing her baby in a shiny new Bugaboo (stroller costing upwards of $800 :rolleyes:) and looked pretty peeved. Oh well, not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Juliet25
06-05-2009, 07:00 PM
I use coupons although not as much as I used to. With all my kids an hectic life, I am lucky enough to remember to food shop sometimes;)

This is a true coupon story. One afternoon a few years back my DH and I went to a matinee showing of The Green Mile. Of course I had some coupons for snacks and my DH just was rolling his eyes because he was"embarassed". Well this couple in fron of us at the snack counter were dressed to the nines, she in a full length mink. They ordered and were about to pay when the man says wait, I have a coupon for popcorn. The voice was familiar and I looked up to see it was Geraldo Rivera and his wife:lmao: My Dh has never been embarssed by a coupon again:thumbsup2

Awesome. :rotfl:

sorul82?
06-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Ok, ok...here's what really happened: Prior to the rude comments, the husband most likely said the following:

"what a smart shopper and caring wife, just look how she is getting the most of her family resources...I sure wish my wife was like that" only he didn't realize that he said it out loud thus the response from his wife.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that is what happened. ;)

gracie1
06-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I am jealous when I see people with more coupons than me!!:lmao:

The way of thinking that the lady (I use that term loosely) was expressing is the same attitude that has America in so much trouble financially, now. We are supposedly the richest nation on earth, but look at our debt- that is not rich.

I am so sorry you had to listen to a rude comment, but please know that you are not alone. There are a lot of smart people here on the budget board.:thumbsup2

lol! I am way jealous of people that have all the coupons too :lmao: I wish I were coupon savy like the rest of you.

mhf
06-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I LUV coupons and will make sure I go to the stores that help me use them. For example, I needed 2 sheers and 2 poles at Bed Bath and Beyond, took all of my coupons in and asked which one I could use...the lady picked them up and said "1 per item." WOW!!! I was expecting 1 per transaction. Went back the next week to get the shower caddy...with my coupon...

Took my Sunday clippin' coupons to Tar-jay as they seem to be a bit cheaper than the grocery on things like mouthwash. No problem!

COUPONS RULE! I learned this from my mother 30 years ago.

I bow to your Coupon-Clipping Queenness.

Melissa

joha
06-05-2009, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=MagiKitty;32149444]Too bad there isn't a coupon for tact and manners.

Amen. There are things that money can't buy...class and manners being two of them.
Don't be ashamed.
I wonder if the people that make this derrogatory comments find a dollar on the floor...do they pick it up.:confused3 I want to say yes..

To me coupons are like found money.

Jennifer in MI
06-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Ok, ok...here's what really happened: Prior to the rude comments, the husband most likely said the following:

"what a smart shopper and caring wife, just look how she is getting the most of her family resources...I sure wish my wife was like that" only he didn't realize that he said it out loud thus the response from his wife.

:lmao::lmao:

I live in a really nice area. There are people who live near me who have more money than God, I think. SO many of them use coupons!!! I LOVE it when I'm in the store and there are people there who are dressed beautifully and they have a handful of coupons and a shopping list. It happens a LOT!!!

That woman was rude!!!

mrsstats
06-05-2009, 08:13 PM
The woman was rude. I don't use coupons as much as I should when I grocery shop but I do use them when we eat out. There is no embarassment in using them. I even return my cans and bottles when most people I know just throw them in the trash. To me that is just like throwing money in the trash. We are frugal and can take 2 vacations a year. Perhaps because we use coupons and return cans?

JGoin
06-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Regarding the Tar-Jay coupon clipping shopper (Target!)... You can print coupons for Target online OR at their kiosks where the registrations can be printed! :thumbsup2

Just go to the kiosk, choose Target.com, go to the bottom of that page, and in one of the colums on the bottom, under "Target Stores", click "Grocery Coupons"... Print them in seconds on their paper and ink! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Many on the Target savings thread use them, and get FREE or NEXT TO FREE ITEMS! I'm thinking that you can even stack manufacturer's coupons in addition to these store coupons! Have fun, and relish the moment when the onlookers stand in awe of how LITTLE you are paying! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

MagiKitty
06-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Wow! What a great tip about printing Target coupons at their kiosks! For some reason, my printer doesn't print bar codes on coupons really well. Now I can get in on all those great deals that combine deals with coupons! Thanks!

LuvMy3Monkeys
06-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Are you kidding me? You are much more reserved than I! At least you didn't stick one of your coupons up her.... ahem... sorry got carried away there! :rolleyes1

I usually save about 60% or more on my grocery bill. I spend about an hour per week clipping/organizing/etc. I only go to the stores once a month and I take my whole box of coupons with me. I usually hit Giant Eagle, Walmart, Target and BJS club. The best in BJs... if you buy a four pack of shampoo for example, you can use four coupons! :cloud9:

The only thing I will pay full price for is meat, milk, produce, bread, eggs and a few other things. The rest... if I don't have a coupon I don't buy it... simple as that. We plan our meals around what is on sale and what I can use a coupon on (plus, when theres a bj's store coupon or target coupon I can stack on top of the manufacturers coupon.. that rocks!). I am feeding a family of five on about $400 a month, and we eat steaks, have dessert every night and buy alot of fresh produce! It's easy if you put your mind to it.

I usually get funny looks in the store, but that's before I bust out the coupons. I usuallly have 3-4 carts worth of groceries. So once we ring everything up, it's typically between $700-$1000, depending on what sales are going on. After coupons, we're usually around $350-500. It usually takes just as long to ring in the coupons than to ring up the items themselves. So by this time, I have a pretty intense stink eye from the people behind me, but I always get an awesome cashier who will belt out "Holy crap! You just saved over $300!!!". And then I will shoot them a returning stink eye and say "Boy, it sure pays to have patience!".

Look at it this way... coupons are literally money in your pocket!! If you are using coupons and it takes you an hour a week to clip them, match the sales and then hand them in at the check out, and it saves you, say $60 at the end of the week. You just got paid $60 an hour. Now, you tell me how many people you know who make than in an hour. Don't worry, I'll wait... popcorn::

I take pride in the fact that I save incredible amounts of money at the grocery store and feed my family very well! YOU should, too! It's money in the bank... and it's taking me to Disney!!! :woohoo:

"Top 10 Reasons NOT To Get Behind Me In Line at the Supermarket"
10) I have OCD: Obsessive Coupon Disorder
9) I'm the crazy coupon lady you've heard about. Really.
8) I save $59.22 on a $60 order. I'm trying to beat my record.
7) If patience isn't your virtue, change lines. Seriously.
6) I'm protected under the Right-to-Coupon Act.
5) "Price Check"
4) Five separate receipts should do it. Maybe six.
3) I may be slow, but my groceries are free.
2) I have coupons, and I know how to use them.
1) This hobby is paying for my next trip to Disney!

JGoin
06-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Are you kidding me? You are much more reserved than I! At least you didn't stick one of your coupons up her.... ahem... sorry got carried away there! :rolleyes1

I usually save about 60% or more on my grocery bill. I spend about an hour per week clipping/organizing/etc. I only go to the stores once a month and I take my whole box of coupons with me. I usually hit Giant Eagle, Walmart, Target and BJS club. The best in BJs... if you buy a four pack of shampoo for example, you can use four coupons! :cloud9:

The only thing I will pay full price for is meat, milk, produce, bread, eggs and a few other things. The rest... if I don't have a coupon I don't buy it... simple as that. We plan our meals around what is on sale and what I can use a coupon on (plus, when theres a bj's store coupon or target coupon I can stack on top of the manufacturers coupon.. that rocks!). I am feeding a family of five on about $400 a month, and we eat steaks, have dessert every night and buy alot of fresh produce! It's easy if you put your mind to it.

I usually get funny looks in the store, but that's before I bust out the coupons. I usuallly have 3-4 carts worth of groceries. So once we ring everything up, it's typically between $700-$1000, depending on what sales are going on. After coupons, we're usually around $350-500. It usually takes just as long to ring in the coupons than to ring up the items themselves. So by this time, I have a pretty intense stink eye from the people behind me, but I always get an awesome cashier who will belt out "Holy crap! You just saved over $300!!!". And then I will shoot them a returning stink eye and say "Boy, it sure pays to have patience!".

Look at it this way... coupons are literally money in your pocket!! If you are using coupons and it takes you an hour a week to clip them, match the sales and then hand them in at the check out, and it saves you, say $60 at the end of the week. You just got paid $60 an hour. Now, you tell me how many people you know who make than in an hour. Don't worry, I'll wait... popcorn::

I take pride in the fact that I save incredible amounts of money at the grocery store and feed my family very well! YOU should, too! It's money in the bank... and it's taking me to Disney!!! :woohoo:

5) "Price Check"

OMG!!!! I am SO putting this on my facebook page... where everyone begs me to teach them how to get FREE groceries---- LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

tngramma
06-05-2009, 08:54 PM
DS, 26, took me shopping one day and watched as I bought the items on my list and pulled each of my coupons out.

When we got up to check out I could tell he was embarrassed. He told cashier this is going to take a while she has coupons.

But you should have seen his face when I paid $10 and a few cents for over $70 worth of groceries. All of DS and DDIL's friends now hear how much Mom saves with coupons.

Made a believer out of him.:thumbsup2

minnie1928
06-05-2009, 09:07 PM
The kids need tucked in, so I only have a second. But for those that would like to get more/better coupons you should try out www.thecouponmasters.com to buy coupons for .10 or less (each coupon). I just bought $41 worth of coupons for about $4.50 the other day. I usually scope out the next week's ad for CVS and the grocery store and then place my order. I ordered on Sunday this week and got the coupons on Wed.

sorul82?
06-05-2009, 09:11 PM
OMG!!!! I am SO putting this on my facebook page... where everyone begs me to teach them how to get FREE groceries---- LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Hello fellow Tarheel!

LuvMy3Monkeys
06-05-2009, 09:13 PM
The kids need tucked in, so I only have a second. But for those that would like to get more/better coupons you should try out www.thecouponmasters.com to buy coupons for .10 or less (each coupon). I just bought $41 worth of coupons for about $4.50 the other day. I usually scope out the next week's ad for CVS and the grocery store and then place my order. I ordered on Sunday this week and got the coupons on Wed.

And, unfortunately, the only was to be sure that we will be able to continue to use coupons in the future is if the manufacturers keep putting them out there for us. And they won't do that if we abuse coupon use.

Buying coupons is illegal.

If you want to get more coupons, get a few extra newspapers on Sundays or join a coupon train/swap with other people who use coupons. You'll have plenty of coupons, and won't need to try and "buy" them from somewhere else.

I have never, ever "bought" coupons and I have enough FREE toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, laundry soap and body wash stocked in my basement to last until Jesus comes back!

disneynuts777
06-05-2009, 09:26 PM

:lmao::lmao:
I coupon like crazy. And I never feel guilty or embarrassed. Why would I spend full price on an item I can get for 50% off or free.

Every dollar I save from my budget somewhere goes to the vacation fund. It will be worth it when we are in WDW this August for 9 days in a Moderate resort this year instead of a value and able to upgrade to the DxDDP.

abeyst
06-05-2009, 09:46 PM
5) "Price Check"

OMG, this needs to be on the back of a t-shirt I can wear to the grocery store! Then everyone standing behind me in line can read it, laugh, and quietly move to a different line, lol! Confrontation averted!

MonkersMama
06-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm a regular coupon princess too (not going to say queen, because I still haven't figured out the whole CVS routine)...but I had a telling moment when my boss (whose husband is the president of a large bank...and not one that is in "trouble" right now either...) asked ME how to coupon. Yep, they have multi-millions and she coupons. :lmao:

Mrs.Reese
06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I would have loved for that woman to meet my DH. He's like the kid in the candy store. "Oh, how much did we save today?" "I can't wait till we get our beer rebate in the mail." "Honey did you use the free gift card?"

Speaking of free toilet paper, there were some free Marcal toilet paper coupons in the paper some weeks ago. DH comes home the other day with 30 rolls of toilet paper. He announces proudly; "I have used coupons and will now make a toilet paper fort."

How often are we going to see any of the same people in the grocery store? Probably not often so who cares what they think.

disneymom3
06-05-2009, 10:35 PM
And, unfortunately, the only was to be sure that we will be able to continue to use coupons in the future is if the manufacturers keep putting them out there for us. And they won't do that if we abuse coupon use.

If you want to get more coupons, get a few extra newspapers on Sundays or join a coupon train/swap with other people who use coupons. You'll have plenty of coupons, and won't need to try and "buy" them from somewhere else.

I have never, ever "bought" coupons and I have enough FREE toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, laundry soap and body wash stocked in my basement to last until Jesus comes back!

Really? I did not know that. I have never done this either but do have another site bookmarked on my favorites that I keep an eye on that does basically the same thing. I will have to look into that illegality thing. I sure would hate for anything illegal to be going on with this family that runs that business.

That must be why the auctions on ebay state that you are paying for their time and effort. Maybe that is the way these websites get around that too.

disneyfav4ever
06-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Was this at Walmart? I've had several "line altercations" with people at Walmart. From a lady telling me how inappropriate it was to just put a handbasket on the conveyor belt and not taking the 5 items out and putting them on the conveyor belt, to not putting the little plastic divider thingie up behind my stuff on the belt to divide my items from theirs, and so on. I've never had anyone say a word to me anywhere else than Walmart. I don't shop there anymore as I do a lot of couponing and some local grocery stores carry the brands I like so I shop there.

Anyways, coupon away! I love coupons. And I'm so jealous when someone has a lot of coupons! :) Although I do get frustrated behind a disorganized couponer (but I would never say anything). When the order is rung up and the cashier is waiting for the customer and he/she is going through every single coupon in their envelope. I get all mine out before getting in line or if there's a long line, while in line.Nope, not at WalMart, I won't shop there anymore.

disneyfav4ever
06-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Don't pay her any attention. I see nothing to be embarrassed about. I'm a SAHM, and figure that since I'm not actually earning money, my contribution to the household is to save as much as I can when I'm shopping for what we need. I was so excited last night when I went to the grocery store - before my coupons and instant rebates, the bill was $169; after everything was applied, it came to just under $40! I practically danced out of the store!I love it when I can get my total done really low like that. The best I've ever done was $150-some worth of stuff, and my total was $6 and some change. That was a really awesome day.

disneyfav4ever
06-05-2009, 11:29 PM

1) the lady was a snob

3) that she is a credit card lovin tushThere's obviously no way of knowing 2 or 3, but I think it's obvious that she was a snob.

disneyfav4ever
06-05-2009, 11:34 PM
I am a coupon nut, and I love it.

When I get the supermarket sale pamphlets in my newspaper, I sit down and make my list for groceries for the week, then I look at all the sales and see who has what on sale that match my list, then I go thru my coupons to see what matches, It takes about a half of an hour and I can save at least $20-$30 a week off my groceries. If something is on sale and its not on my list, it would have to be a really good deal for me to buy it.

Now I would love to save 75%, how do you do it?

And as for that lady behind you in line, she doesnt know what she's missing, more money saved in groceries is more money for Disney and other fun things.I do pretty much the same thing as you. I check and see what's on sale, and then figure out what I have coupons for. I also buy mutiple papers, usually just two a week, three is the coupons are really good, so I can stock up when stuff's on sale. Living alone, I don't need to stock up that much, so two or three of an item is usually enough. I plan my meals around the sales also.

And any overage I get from coupons, I put towards meat. Even though there are occasionally meat coupons sometimes. I buy most of my produce at a local farmer's market during the spring and summer, that's the only thing I don't use coupons for, that and gourmet cheese.

disneyfav4ever
06-05-2009, 11:37 PM
The woman was rude. I don't use coupons as much as I should when I grocery shop but I do use them when we eat out. There is no embarassment in using them. I even return my cans and bottles when most people I know just throw them in the trash. To me that is just like throwing money in the trash. We are frugal and can take 2 vacations a year. Perhaps because we use coupons and return cans?If I lived in a state that I could get a nickle for every can I turned in I would do it too. With all the coke I drink I'd be rich, LOL.

kc10family
06-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Speaking of free toilet paper, there were some free Marcal toilet paper coupons in the paper some weeks ago. DH comes home the other day with 30 rolls of toilet paper. He announces proudly; "I have used coupons and will now make a toilet paper fort."

:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

LOVE IT!!!

We are moving away from the wharehouse thing and back to clipping more (DH doesn't know this yet because he has been gone for 6 months) but coupons are back in our way of life and wharehouses are for some things now.... not all things.

Disneyliscious
06-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Lady behind me: "I'd be embarrassed to show my face in public if I used that many coupons"

Me: "Lady....if I were you, I'd be embarrassed to show my face in public AT ALL."

Jaycey'smom
06-06-2009, 03:12 AM
I also do never get embarrased. Alot of times the cashier does not know how to ring up the B/O get one free coupons or the Free coupons and the people behind me look at me like i am holding up the line. I just smile and wait for the cashier to figure it out or call someone that can. I usually will only use coupons if it is BO get one free or over $.50.

mskani
06-06-2009, 06:16 AM
On last night's episode of Wife Swap, one of the moms was an AVID coupon clipper/user. She had a binder full of coupons and after every shopping trip, she would post the receipt on the fridge.

I truly admire people who coupon religiously. I am inspired by all of you and will try to plan meals and shop accordingly. Summer is here and the kids will be around more. The grocery bill is getting ready to skyrocket and I need to be prepared!!

minnie1928
06-06-2009, 06:33 AM

I see the cost of "buying" coupons as the cost of their service...not for the actual coupon itself. Regardless, there have been weeks when I would buy multiple papers when it made it worthwhile. But lately that hasn't been the case. I'm not going to buy extra papers to get 1 or 2 of the coupons that I really want. By ordering them online I can get exactly the coupons I'm looking for at less cost.

For example, I wanted 10 Marcal coupons for free tissues/rolls of TP. 10 newspapers would have cost me $15. I ordered them online for about $1.

I also stockpile as you do, and at the end of the year I donate my excess to local organizations to distribute to the needy. That way everyone wins!

kacaju
06-06-2009, 06:34 AM
A few months ago one of our stores had triple coupons (up to 99 cents). I went in there will all of my coupons that were under a $1 and my dd9 and I went to town. It was a store I don't normally shop in because their prices are higher then my normal store.
We price compared and took our time. We came out with a savings of 58% on our bill, final bill was around $150.
Not only did the person behind me think that was awesome, the couple behind him, who we happen to know were very impressed.

Kepp up the good work!!

WDWCastMember
06-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I always use coupons, and I'm like the OP, I'll take as many as I can to the store, and use them to save money for anything and everything. What's wrong with saving money?! And if some people find it annoying or whatever, then heck, let them pay for my stuff full price, right?! I mean come on, if they don't need to clip coupons, the God Bless them, I do and I think everyone else does too!!!

And just a thought...I wonder if 'that witch' goes to the DIS freebies link and gets stuff!! LOL ...sorry just had to!:rotfl: Its always people like that who complain and try to embarrass people but they want stuff for free....

I keep using coupons all the time no matter what and thats what matters!:banana:

LuvMy3Monkeys
06-06-2009, 08:16 AM
I see the cost of "buying" coupons as the cost of their service...not for the actual coupon itself. Regardless, there have been weeks when I would buy multiple papers when it made it worthwhile. But lately that hasn't been the case. I'm not going to buy extra papers to get 1 or 2 of the coupons that I really want. By ordering them online I can get exactly the coupons I'm looking for at less cost.
!

That's just the way they get around selling them, by quoting that it is their time and effort, not the coupon that you are buying. Regardless if you see the cost of buying them as just their service, you're still buying the coupons. Would you pay them for their service then say, "Oh I just wanted you to cut up the paper... don't worry about sending the coupons"? :confused3

Not trying to be argumentative or anything, but it is illegal. And the law is the law. If and when people DO crack down on it, I don't want to be stuck in the middle. So I choose to obtain mine legally to be safe. :thumbsup2

It's just like any other thing that's got a sketchy line between what you are supposed to do and what you aren't supposed to do. Just ask my husband if it's legal to drive 5mph over the speed limit :rolleyes:

LuvMy3Monkeys
06-06-2009, 08:19 AM
MRS. REESE:

I thought I was the only person on earth who knows the tooty ta! My kids request Dr. Jean on a daily basis. :dance3:

MiMi2Three
06-06-2009, 08:39 AM
I just finished leading a class at our church on saving money on household expenses. One week was dedicated to couponing. I was very suprised by the low attendance considering the economy and also the fact that my classes were free(there are some local classes on using coupons that cost around $45)

What I discovered is that people wanted the information, they just didn't want anyone to see them in the class. They don't want their friends to know that they are trying to save money????? I gave the information sheets to them, but I wonder if they will even try. What if someone saw them shopping with coupons?

JonJor
06-06-2009, 09:16 AM
my aunt always cut out all the coupons she could find and separate them into piles for those that she throught would use them. she would even go to the corner store on mondays and see what papers they had left. i would receive the baby food, diapers, cleaning products......etc pile. she passed away a couple years ago.....i miss her and her couponing skills. she was a coupon genius.

here's to aunt maresie....we love you

tngramma
06-06-2009, 09:26 AM

I am sure your are educated on this topic but for the life of me cannot see how I am breaking the law by buying coupons that someone else has clipped. The person bought the newspapers and took the time to clip and sort them.

I buy multiple papers but there are times when I want 10 or 20 of a certain coupon. Paying someone else to purchase a paper and clip coupons for me is the easy and economical way.

Not tying to start a heated discussion but wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

Whistle
06-06-2009, 10:03 AM
How absolutely rude! I would be proud of how much you saved- not embarrassed.

I would want to turn around, look her in the face, and say something to the fact of "I would be embarrassed to be so rude" . . . I probably would chicken out though and say nothing.

You did a great job though! :cool1:

disneyfav4ever
06-06-2009, 10:35 AM
On last night's episode of Wife Swap, one of the moms was an AVID coupon clipper/user. She had a binder full of coupons and after every shopping trip, she would post the receipt on the fridge.

I truly admire people who coupon religiously. I am inspired by all of you and will try to plan meals and shop accordingly. Summer is here and the kids will be around more. The grocery bill is getting ready to skyrocket and I need to be prepared!!I'm going to have to find that episode on YouTube or something. I used to watch WifeSwap, but don't so much anymore, but I'd like to see what happened with that.

Juliet25
06-06-2009, 11:57 AM
I also do never get embarrased. Alot of times the cashier does not know how to ring up the B/O get one free coupons or the Free coupons and the people behind me look at me like i am holding up the line. I just smile and wait for the cashier to figure it out or call someone that can. I usually will only use coupons if it is BO get one free or over $.50.

When I have the free coupons, I try to put those items at the very end of my order so the cashier can look up the price quickly. The cashiers seem to really appreciate this. It took me awhile to figure that trick out. :upsidedow

Juliet25
06-06-2009, 12:01 PM
j

Juliet25
06-06-2009, 12:02 PM
I just finished leading a class at our church on saving money on household expenses. One week was dedicated to couponing. I was very suprised by the low attendance considering the economy and also the fact that my classes were free(there are some local classes on using coupons that cost around $45)

What I discovered is that people wanted the information, they just didn't want anyone to see them in the class. They don't want their friends to know that they are trying to save money????? I gave the information sheets to them, but I wonder if they will even try. What if someone saw them shopping with coupons?

Wow, seriously? :rolleyes: How can couponing be embarrassing? I guess I hang around in weird circles. Everyone I know is cool with saving money. I'm 33, not 15. I'm kinda past that phase where I think all eyes are on me. :rotfl2:

leahjade
06-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I believe the only people who say things like that are people who have more than enough money to feel comfortable
I disagree - two of my friends never coupon (say they can't be bothered) yet they make much less money than my family and are in debt up to their eyeballs! It can work both ways - I know wealthy people who are very frugal and still use coupons!

Kycha
06-06-2009, 12:35 PM
I was checking out at the store yesterday with my weekly big order, so of course I had a bunch of coupons. The lady behind me said, (very loudly, I'm sure so I could hear,) to her husband or whoever it was she was with, that if she used that many coupons she'd be embarassed to show her face in public.

How is saving money embarassing? I saved about 75% of my bill, I don't see anything embrassing about that! She was just a rude lady, and made me so mad.
Don't be too upset about it. She's just ignorant. And think about it this way...someone has to pay full price otherwise stores wouldn't be able to offer sale prices, discounts and coupons. It might as well be that lady.

A couple of tips I would like to offer for anyone that is starting out on couponing...

I use a website called taylortownpreview.com. It has a coupon schedule that lists which of the 3(Smartsource, Redplum or Proctor & Gamble) coupon inserts to expect each week. For example, all 3 will be included in your 6/7 Sunday paper. They also have a coupon preview page. Basically a listing of what coupons will be in each insert. Unfortunately, coupons are different region to region. So, what they have listed doesn't always match up with what I end up getting. But if I see a valuable coupon on their list, I know to get to the store early to get my papers before they sell out.
Buy your Sunday papers from your local Dollar store. My local Sunday papers newstand price is $1.75. I save .75 per paper when I buy them from Dollar Tree.
I don't do this, but know a bunch of people that do. Ask your neighbors, friends, anyone for their coupons. Or go to your local library, coffee shop, bookstore, recycling center to pick up leftover coupons.
Register on hotcouponworld.com or afullcup.com. They are a grocery and coupon forums. Both sites have forums for individual grocery stores. So, the 2 local stores that I use each have their own forum that anybody can post their great deals. Plus, someone usually does a coupon matchup with the weekly sales flyer. Very helpful. Both sites also have a coupon database that is an extremely useful resource. Any item that you are interested in buying, just type it into the database and see what coupons are available. For example, I had to run to the store last night and DH asked me to pick up some athlete's foot spray. I was sure I didn't have any in my coupon stash. So, I typed in what I was looking for and sure enough they had a link for a printable coupon. I saved $2.

Missy1961
06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I am sure your are educated on this topic but for the life of me cannot see how I am breaking the law by buying coupons that someone else has clipped. The person bought the newspapers and took the time to clip and sort them.

I buy multiple papers but there are times when I want 10 or 20 of a certain coupon. Paying someone else to purchase a paper and clip coupons for me is the easy and economical way.

Not tying to start a heated discussion but wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

Read the coupon--they are not for sale. The person is getting around that by saying you are paying for them to cut the coupon. It may not be a major crime, but it isn't what the manufacturers intended. And it is an abuse of the system, and that may mean less coupons being offered.

Missy1961
06-06-2009, 12:53 PM
And I've got to say I've never experienced anyone complaining about my couupon use. I've been grocery shopping with coupons for about 25 years, and before that I'd go shopping with my mom when she'd use coupons too. I've never had a customer or a cashier complain. In fact, I once had a cashier say to me--"wow, everything you bought was on sale." And I live in NY, which is supposed to be such a rude place. Go figure.

PHXscuba
06-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Several pages back in the discussions (forgot who/where), someone said "I'm a SAHM, my contribution is saving the money." I couldn't agree more!

DH's income may provide for our needs, but squeezing every last benefit out of that money is my part-time job. And when you coupon, call around, price-compare for big items, dispute bills, wait for sales, shop online, etc., you can make pretty good money for the time you spend!

They say to increase the amount of money you have available, you can work harder/longer and let the government take its 30% tax cut or whatever, or you can spend less and keep every penny. I know which camp I'm in!

PHXscuba

Mrs.Reese
06-06-2009, 01:41 PM
MRS. REESE:

I thought I was the only person on earth who knows the tooty ta! My kids request Dr. Jean on a daily basis. :dance3:

Did you know that you can even get Tooty-Ta shirts? A tooty-ta, a tooty-ta, a tooty-ta-ta....:rolleyes1

pilesoflaundry
06-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Read your coupons again. Most of them also say void if transferred, exchanged or traded, not just sold. You could be just as wrong. Transfer or exchanged is a swap.

I don't care if someone trades or buys coupons and I've done it. I've also bought a few papers when that week I wanted multiples of more than just one.

To the nasty rude lady I would have said "I'll try and remember to be embarrassed when I'm in disney next week" It really does pay for our trips, fun stuff for the kids everything.

It is a full time job though. I can understand why some people can't be bothered because they work. I stay at home and this is my job. I make more money staying home and cutting coupons then I would working full time and not having time to buy on sale or use them. I save thousands a year between cvs, coupons and buying strictly on sale or clearance.

The best deal ever was hitting the manager special at sears and I got sketchers for $2! They were missing boxes or the last ones of a particular style they don't sell anymore. I got skate shoes for ds for $2 and $3 too.

Rebates are another great money saver. Keep using your coupons who cares what people say.

HappyPeach
06-06-2009, 03:19 PM

1) the lady was a snob

3) that she is a credit card lovin tush

I would guess that the woman was put out because she had to wait. Someone previously said something about "3 seconds" to scan a coupon. Well, when you're behind someone who is a serious coupon-user (and often they're also price-matchers and check-writers) it takes substantially more than 3 seconds. I don't think it was right or nice for her to make the comment she did. But I'll bet anything that the OP's transaction took 2 - 3 times as long as someone w/o coupons would have. I think ignoring the cranky person was the right move... why would you ever lower yourself by making an ugly comment back to them?

hereforthesun
06-06-2009, 03:33 PM
I shop Walgreens, CVS and Publix. I just found out that register rewards are actually manufacturer coupons and they scan. This week the Bayer Contour meters were on sale for $10 and get $10 register rewards I had coupons for up to $30 off so the meter was free and I am able to shop at Publix with my free money.

Kudos to us coupon shoppers don't leave home without you never know what you can get for free. I may not need now but I could need in the near future. I donate the meters to the shelters around here. You never know who could use them. I also make up baskets from my stockpile for others if they are having a rough time or just moved into a home. All in all it is good for everyone. My 17 year old daughter is learning never buy full price. My oldest daughter is an avid coupon shopper also.

I was able to save enough for a trip to disney and hope to save enough again for another trip soon.

Microcell
06-06-2009, 03:44 PM
When I first started couponing I would apologize for taking up everyone's time etc.. until I saw Hillary Swank on a talk show and she brought it home for me..

She lived in a car with her mom for a few of her teenage years and her mom couponed, and even now, wealthy beyond any expectations, Hillary Swank says the feeling of using a coupon can't be beat! She was saying she cannot pay full price for something she knows she has a coupon for!

Coupons are how the rich stay rich!

Frank Morgan was a very wealthy man here in KC (built virtually all the malls around here) and he went to my parent's synagogue and he drove a 1985 Buick untl he died in 1995 or so. He woulda driven around in it until now if it still worked! He used to come into the Hardee's I worked at and ALWAYS had his coupon for whatever he was getting! He was easily the most wealthy person in the metro and was legendary for his coupon usage! You are in very good company!

LuvMy3Monkeys
06-06-2009, 04:35 PM
The person bought the newspapers and took the time to clip and sort them.
Paying someone else to purchase a paper and clip coupons for me is the easy and economical way.

I totally understand your logic... really I do!! :goodvibes

The reason it's illegal is because people who clip and sell coupons online don't buy a newspaper and get the coupons out of the paper. Most of them work either A.) where the coupons are printed or B.) where they are distributed.. i.e. the local newspaper office or C.) for the delivery service that gets them from the printing press to the local newspaper.

Most of these coupons are obtained illegally, which is why it's illegal to sell them. Grab a coupon and read the fine print. Do you see where it says cash value is 1/20th of a cent? That means you can sell 20 coupons for one penny. And that's it.

I'm sure if you coupon you are familiar with the coupon mom (couponmom.com)? She's been on Oprah and Good Morning America... she puts out "the list" every week for coupon strategies for that particular week with every stores sales and yadda yadda yadda....

ANYWAY... she has a whole article on why it's illegal and how people get those coupons you are buying. What I gave you is just a summary.

Not saying that I agree or don't agreee... just letting you know that whether or not you or I see it as breaking the law, it IS indeed illegal whether we like it or not. :confused3

Now... Don't shoot the messenger!! :hippie:

LuvMy3Monkeys
06-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Did you know that you can even get Tooty-Ta shirts? A tooty-ta, a tooty-ta, a tooty-ta-ta....:rolleyes1

WHAAAT?? Where?? I :lovestruc LOOOOOVE :lovestruc Dr. Jean!

I went to one of her conventions once for school and it was strange how comfortable you feel closing your eyes, sticking your tongue out and spinning in circles in front of strangers! :rotfl:

LuvMy3Monkeys
06-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Wow, seriously? :rolleyes: How can couponing be embarrassing? I guess I hang around in weird circles. Everyone I know is cool with saving money. I'm 33, not 15. I'm kinda past that phase where I think all eyes are on me. :rotfl2:

HAHA I know! My friends call me saying how much they saved and I always feel this urge to go out and shop so I can call back and compete with her savings!!

I must be hanging out with the strange crowd too, because all of my friends think it's cool how much money I save... and now they do it too!!

Hey... whoever said coupons can't buy happiness ain't shoppin' in the right place! :rotfl2:

DawnM
06-06-2009, 05:07 PM
You can embarrass yourself all the way to the bank and beyond!

You go girl! :thumbsup2

Dawn

winniedapooh
06-06-2009, 06:38 PM
My kids used to get a tad uncomfortable, or so I thought! They were actually having fun with me rolling their eyes and groaning as I try to save money each week. My daughter still talks about the week I saved $147 on coupons and $54 on the store advantage card for a grand savings of $201. :goodvibes They actually ask me what I have for coupons because they want a special deoderant or something, lol! :rotfl2: I work FT and couldn't give a hoot about someone staring or making comments to me in line because I have a ton of coupons. I am get too excited trying to see how much I save!!!:goodvibes

sorul82?
06-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I admire everyone's savings. I'm the master of Target markdowns, but not the grocery store. I spent $164 after $64 store savings and $7 worth of coupons. I must not be buying the right things; most of what I buy doesn't have coupons like meat, produce, and a couple of jugs of milk. So what is everyone buying? :confused3

tngramma
06-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I shop Walgreens, CVS and Publix. I just found out that register rewards are actually manufacturer coupons and they scan. This week the Bayer Contour meters were on sale for $10 and get $10 register rewards I had coupons for up to $30 off so the meter was free and I am able to shop at Publix with my free money.

Is Publix the only place you can use Walgreen's RR or do other places take them too? I have $112.00 of RR right now that are burning a hole in my coupon binder.

Now... Don't shoot the messenger!! :hippie:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/wrenchslinger99/gatling_gun.gif Just kidding! I could not resist.

disneyfav4ever
06-06-2009, 09:50 PM
I admire everyone's savings. I'm the master of Target markdowns, but not the grocery store. I spent $164 after $64 store savings and $7 worth of coupons. I must not be buying the right things; most of what I buy doesn't have coupons like meat, produce, and a couple of jugs of milk. So what is everyone buying? :confused3Meat I buy when it's on sale, stock up, and freeze a lot. With produce, I buy what's on sale, and what's in season, usaully at a local farmer's market, but the stores sometimes have good sales, and if I'm lucky, coupons. Just last week there was a save $1 on produce when you bought some new kind of cereal.

I pay almost nothing for pantry and personal products. Some of the things I've gotten for free are; peanut butter, pasta, cookie mix, popcorn, crackers, cookies, salad dressing, marinade, mustard, tomato sauce, rice cakes, vinegar, bbq sauce, and juice boxes.

And that's just the stuff I've gotten for free! That doesn't include so much other stuff that I've gotten for next to nothing; Crystal Light for less then $1 a container, macaroni and cheese for less then thirty cents a box, cake mix for less then fifty cents a box, granola bars for $1 a box, salsa for $1 or less a jar, hot chocolate packets for fifty cents a box, mashed potatoes and mayonnaise for a quarter each, the list goes on and on.

And all of this is just for matching up sales with coupons. And that's just stuff currently in my pantry, (and that's not everything,) and that's not even going into my fridge and freezer.

ETA - And all the stuff is name brand too. I almost never get coupons for store brand stuff. Sometimes I do, but it's rare. I have nothing against most store brand stuff though. The only brands I am praticulary loyal to are Kraft cheese, and Coke.

Disneyliscious
06-06-2009, 09:59 PM
A few weeks ago on eBay I bought 10 - $3 off coupons on cat food. My purchase total came to $2.49.

The cat food is $4.48 per bag. I ended up buying $44.80 in cat food for $17.29 plus tax. I didn't mind buying 10 bags at once and the cashier was like "wow"...lol

Kycha
06-06-2009, 10:15 PM
I admire everyone's savings. I'm the master of Target markdowns, but not the grocery store. I spent $164 after $64 store savings and $7 worth of coupons. I must not be buying the right things; most of what I buy doesn't have coupons like meat, produce, and a couple of jugs of milk. So what is everyone buying? :confused3
One of my grocery stores emails weekly coupons. Usually there are $ off $$ coupons for meat and produce. And they usually don't expire for a month.
2 months ago, there was a catalina deal for Kellogg's cereal...buy 3 boxes get 1 gal of milk free, buy 5 boxes get 2 gals free, buy 7 boxes get 3 gals free. The catalina deal was for at least a month and all 2 of my local stores had Kellogg's cereal on sale a couple times during the cat deal. Plus I combined with coupons. I made out like a bandit. I think I ended up with over 20 boxes of cereal and coupons for 7 free gals of milk. And using coupons, I paid between .25-.50 a box for the cereal.

disneyfav4ever
06-06-2009, 10:24 PM
One of my grocery stores emails weekly coupons. Usually there are $ off $$ coupons for meat and produce. And they usually don't expire for a month.
2 months ago, there was a catalina deal for Kellogg's cereal...buy 3 boxes get 1 gal of milk free, buy 5 boxes get 2 gals free, buy 7 boxes get 3 gals free. The catalina deal was for at least a month and all 2 of my local stores had Kellogg's cereal on sale a couple times during the cat deal. Plus I combined with coupons. I made out like a bandit. I think I ended up with over 20 boxes of cereal and coupons for 7 free gals of milk. And using coupons, I paid between .25-.50 a box for the cereal.I see you're from around the same area as me, what store was that? Cause I completely would've been all over that sale. I can get cereal for cheap all the time, but I would've loved some free milk.

Also, I love that link you, (I think it was you,) posted earlier, for TaylorTown, that'll be really helpful if they post it before I get my coupons. Looks like it was accurate for me this week.

And I just noticed your signature. Was that your kitty that died? So sad. :hug: I lost two pets last year, I know how hard it is.

Kycha
06-07-2009, 12:07 AM
I see you're from around the same area as me, what store was that? Cause I completely would've been all over that sale. I can get cereal for cheap all the time, but I would've loved some free milk.

Also, I love that link you, (I think it was you,) posted earlier, for TaylorTown, that'll be really helpful if they post it before I get my coupons. Looks like it was accurate for me this week.

And I just noticed your signature. Was that your kitty that died? So sad. :hug: I lost two pets last year, I know how hard it is.
Thanks. I appreciate that. That cat was such a pain in my @ss I always said he would outlive me just to spite me.:lmao:His favorite place to lay was on my chest while I was trying to sleep. He was a complete sadist too. He would dig his claws(weapons, really) into me all while purring really loudly and looking at me with love in his eyes.:rotfl2:But, I loved that cat to death. I'm sorry about the loss of your two pets. It is amazing how much pets impact our lives and how much we miss them when they are gone.

Anyway, back on topic...the 2 stores with the Kellogg's cat deal were Giant and Weis Markets. In fact, when I did the deal at Giant I used their coupon doublers and I think they paid me to buy the cereal and I got the free milk coupons on top of it.

You definitely need to check the grocery store forums over on afullcup.com. I don't usually shop at Giant because they are not very convenient for me. So, I just keep an eye on the Giant forum and someone invariably will post a deal that I can't pass up. They have forums for Wegmans, Acme, Genuardis, Kroger, Superfresh...pretty much any grocery store you can think of. Plus they have very active forums for CVS and Rite Aid as well as Kmart(double coupons up to $2 starts tomorrow), Walmart and Target.

Did you get your Sunday coupons already? Where/which paper do you get them? Was there a $1 off Kellogg's coupon in the Redplum insert? I'm hoping there is. Weis has Kellogg's Froot Loops, Corn Pops, Frosted Flakes and Apple Jacks 4/$6. Would make them .50 a box if I use 4 coupons. I need to stock up for my family reunion at the end of the month. A lot of hungry mouths to feed.:goodvibes TIA!

disneyfav4ever
06-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Did you get your Sunday coupons already? Where/which paper do you get them? Was there a $1 off Kellogg's coupon in the Redplum insert? I'm hoping there is. Weis has Kellogg's Froot Loops, Corn Pops, Frosted Flakes and Apple Jacks 4/$6. Would make them .50 a box if I use 4 coupons. I need to stock up for my family reunion at the end of the month. A lot of hungry mouths to feed.:goodvibes TIA!I get my coupons on Saturday, in the "early" edition of the Philly Inquirer. There are Kellogg's coupons! One is for $1 off mini-wheats, another is $1 off special K cereals, and the other is for $1 off the ones you mentioned I think. I'm not looking at the coupons right now, so I'm not sure, but there were def. three Kellogg's ones.

Interesting that I missed the cereal / milk sale at Giant. Maybe it wasn't at my store? But I thought those sales would be chain wide. Or I just wasn't paying any attention when they had that sale. I was pretty stocked up on cereal for awhile, now I'm running kind of low again. I do seem to have a lot of Raisin Bran though.

Kycha
06-07-2009, 12:23 AM
I get my coupons on Saturday, in the "early" edition of the Philly Inquirer. There are Kellogg's coupons! One is for $1 off mini-wheats, another is $1 off special K cereals, and the other is for $1 off the ones you mentioned I think. I'm not looking at the coupons right now, so I'm not sure, but there were def. three Kellogg's ones.

Interesting that I missed the cereal / milk sale at Giant. Maybe it wasn't at my store? But I thought those sales would be chain wide. Or I just wasn't paying any attention when they had that sale. I was pretty stocked up on cereal for awhile, now I'm running kind of low again. I do seem to have a lot of Raisin Bran though.
Cool! Thanks for the info on the Kellogg's q's. I'll have to pick up extra papers tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't think the milk deal was in Giant's weekly flyer. It was definitely in the Weis flyer though. And since it was a catalina deal and Giant does the catalina deals too I tried it there and it worked just fine.

disneyfav4ever
06-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Cool! Thanks for the info on the Kellogg's q's. I'll have to pick up extra papers tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't think the milk deal was in Giant's weekly flyer. It was definitely in the Weis flyer though. And since it was a catalina deal and Giant does the catalina deals too I tried it there and it worked just fine.Yeah, if it wasn't in the flyer, I wouldn't of noticed it.

NeverlandClub23
06-07-2009, 02:07 AM
A couple of months ago Kroger had the hair dye I use on sale for $5.99. I bought 20 $2.00 off coupons off of ebay for $1.00 (including shipping). I saved about $40 and then sold the conditioners out of the boxes (that I never use) on ebay for $20! So I bought the hair dye for about $2.99 a box :thumbsup2. Of course, the cashier looked at me crazy when I gave her my coupons :).

Melrosgirl
06-07-2009, 05:01 AM
I think the lady probably meant she would be embarrassed bc it takes so much time. I know when I have more then 10 coupons, I do get a little embarrassed bc I know I'm taking a long time and I usually say "sorry" to the people behind me. Do they care? I don't know.

sorul82?
06-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Meat I buy when it's on sale, stock up, and freeze a lot. With produce, I buy what's on sale, and what's in season, usaully at a local farmer's market, but the stores sometimes have good sales, and if I'm lucky, coupons. Just last week there was a save $1 on produce when you bought some new kind of cereal.

I pay almost nothing for pantry and personal products. Some of the things I've gotten for free are; peanut butter, pasta, cookie mix, popcorn, crackers, cookies, salad dressing, marinade, mustard, tomato sauce, rice cakes, vinegar, bbq sauce, and juice boxes.

ahh, I don't buy a lot of what you mentioned. I look through the coupons on the rare occasion that I buy a paper and most are for things I don't buy.

As for meat, if it's not on sale, I don't buy it. And, I have a certain price I think it should be on sale for. :rolleyes: This week we are eating country style pork ribs at $1.49/lb and split chicken breast at $.99/lb using the $.75 bbq that I bought last week. :yay: Boneless skinless chicken breasts have not been our normal $1.99/lb sale in quite some time. :sad1:

NYCDiane
06-07-2009, 09:18 AM

I've had that happen to me as well. One time a guy behind me let out a huge sigh and said to his wife "now she has COUPONS".... I turned to him and said "well, if you want to give me the CASH I will save with my coupons, I'd be more than happy to put them away" and I put my hand out. He said NOTHING and was clearly embarassed.

Ya gotta turn it around on people like that!

Belle5
06-07-2009, 09:27 AM
I've had that happen to me as well. One time a guy behind me let out a huge sigh and said to his wife "now she has COUPONS".... I turned to him and said "well, if you want to give me the CASH I will save with my coupons, I'd be more than happy to put them away" and I put my hand out. He said NOTHING and was clearly embarassed.

Ya gotta turn it around on people like that!

Perfect!:laughing:

mommy2allyandaveri
06-07-2009, 09:48 AM

Yep, I probably would have said something too. That was just rude...

The only time I am ever embarrassed about coupons is when I am trying to check out and the coupon won't scan and then I have to argue with the checker about if I really bought that item then we have to go digging through my bags to find the item:confused: But I stick to my guns for that $.50 off!:rotfl:

Juliet25
06-07-2009, 04:28 PM

I always wonder about what people are buying when their grocery bill goes from $100 to like $6.56. I've been couponing since college, but I'm never able to save more than 25-40% on my grocery bill. At best I'll save 45%, but that's on a day when a local grocery does $10 off $50 and I'm using other coupons.

minnie1928
06-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I always wonder about what people are buying when their grocery bill goes from $100 to like $6.56. I've been couponing since college, but I'm never able to save more than 25-40% on my grocery bill. At best I'll save 45%, but that's on a day when a local grocery does $10 off $50 and I'm using other coupons.

Oh, I definitely see how it can be done. If you're only buying the great deals that you have coupons for...yeah, it can be done. However, if you include things like milk, bread, etc. that rarely have discounts/coupons then that will skew the total back up. I typically save 25-45%, but if I worked the basket to only include the "great deals" the savings percentage would be much higher.

etoiles
06-07-2009, 05:07 PM
coupons is when I am trying to check out and the coupon won't scan and then I have to argue with the checker about if I really bought that item then we have to go digging through my bags to find the item:confused: But I stick to my guns for that $.50 off!:rotfl:

DH can be embarassed to shopping with me because sometimes the cashier might make a big deal about a coupon. Today when 4 coupons of mine wouldn't scan instead of asking 'did you buy this item?' or 'can I see xxxx' he muttered 'did you even buy any of these???' as if I was using the coupons illegally. I would actually have preferred to dig around in the bag and show him than just have him making accusations.

PinkRhombus
06-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Exactly. I would have told her point blank to kiss my a** and then, to her husband, that she must be a pain to live with.

disneyfav4ever
06-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Oh, I definitely see how it can be done. If you're only buying the great deals that you have coupons for...yeah, it can be done. However, if you include things like milk, bread, etc. that rarely have discounts/coupons then that will skew the total back up. I typically save 25-45%, but if I worked the basket to only include the "great deals" the savings percentage would be much higher.Actually, that isn't entirely true. I get fresh produce every week, as well as meat. I usually spend between $20 and $30 a week, but always have savings of around $60 or $70, sometimes higher.

Just today I spent $10 and saved $30, and I had dairy and meat in my order.

I think it's a common mis-conception that couponers only buy junk, and there's rarely any healthy stuff to be had with couponing.

LuvMy3Monkeys
06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
ahh, I don't buy a lot of what you mentioned. I look through the coupons on the rare occasion that I buy a paper and most are for things I don't buy.

I had to read that like four times! I thought you were saying "I don't buy what you're saying"... like you don't believe her! You know how people say oh I don't buy that!!

I was just thinking gosh, why don't you just call her a liar?? ? :eek:

Then I finally got it... :rolleyes1

minnie1928
06-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Actually, that isn't entirely true. I get fresh produce every week, as well as meat. I usually spend between $20 and $30 a week, but always have savings of around $60 or $70, sometimes higher.

I think it's a common mis-conception that couponers only buy junk, and there's rarely any healthy stuff to be had with couponing.

So, on average you're saving about 70% :thumbsup2, which is great! But the post I was referring to was someone saving in the neighborhood of 95%. It sounds like you would probably hit that if you didn't include your produce/dairy/etc.

goin2disneyagain
06-07-2009, 05:59 PM

She's crazy. There is nothing embarrassing about using coupons. Some people...... :rolleyes:

disneyfav4ever
06-07-2009, 06:17 PM
So, on average you're saving about 70% :thumbsup2, which is great! But the post I was referring to was someone saving in the neighborhood of 95%. It sounds like you would probably hit that if you didn't include your produce/dairy/etc.If I wanted to, I could probably eat for free all the time. :rotfl: But that would mean a lot of plain pasta, with condiments. I'd get bored with that really fast. Not to mention there'd be almost no nutritional value.

minnie1928
06-07-2009, 08:45 PM
If I wanted to, I could probably eat for free all the time. :rotfl: But that would mean a lot of plain pasta, with condiments. I'd get bored with that really fast. Not to mention there'd be almost no nutritional value.

Pasta...mmmmm! Tomatoes & onions from the garden....:love:

tweedlemom
06-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Coupons rock! Good for you!

snarlingcoyote
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I ate at Ryan's yesterday with several members of my Dear Family and we ladies were happily discussing yard sale and thrift store finds. I was telling my SIL and DN (Dear Niece) about the Thrift City in our town that takes up an entire old Wal-Mart, and that they'd have to reserve a day just to thrift store shop when they came visiting this summer.

Our waitress came over and heard our conversation and oh my! Such a sour look!

I wish I could've told her how many upper-middle class friends I have who are avowed Yard Sale junkies, and how many of us do it not just for ourselves but for altruistic reasons - I know someone who helps battered women learn the ins and outs of garage saling and thrift store shopping. I know someone else who helps young moms kit out nurseries with yard sale finds and how to work the various organizations that provide car seats and such. I myself have promised to get a Dear Relation (who I JUST learned does not have ONE SINGLE THING ready for her new baby) ready for her Little Stranger's arrival in July!

And the money we save buying thrift store? Vacations, donations to various shelters, money for college and retirement, extravagant tips at buffet style family restaurants. . .:rolleyes1

disneylove69
06-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Exactly. I would have told her point blank to kiss my a** and then, to her husband, that she must be a pain to live with.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::cool1: We must be twins! I would have done the same thing. I see using coupons as a sport. I don't get as many coupons now but the first few years of my cat's life I never paid for cat food. I like seeing the register screen going from a high dollar down, down, down. I feel like I'm in vegas and the register is a slot machine.
My grandma had money but I rememeber every Saturday morning her and my great grandma would cut coupons and plan their shopping day.

RLccweems
06-07-2009, 09:52 PM
You know I have been at the checkout and several times had a man who were standing behind me and watched my total go down from 75.00 to 4.59....their comment to me was I wish my wife was that good with coupons!! Or your my dream wife!!!

sorul82?
06-08-2009, 07:50 AM
I had to read that like four times! I thought you were saying "I don't buy what you're saying"... like you don't believe her! You know how people say oh I don't buy that!!

I was just thinking gosh, why don't you just call her a liar?? ? :eek:

Then I finally got it... :rolleyes1

oh my goodness....I didn't even realize that it sounded that way. Thank you for your post so I can make sure I word things better. :goodvibes

jodifla
06-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Actually, that isn't entirely true. I get fresh produce every week, as well as meat. I usually spend between $20 and $30 a week, but always have savings of around $60 or $70, sometimes higher.

Never seen a coupon for milk, bread, eggs, or produce. I don't get the savings with coupons, either.

kingcrab
06-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Coupons are there to be used, I wouldnt worry about the woman running her big mouth behind you in line.

Disneefun
06-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Never seen a coupon for milk, bread, eggs, or produce. I don't get the savings with coupons, either.

I'm an avid couponer and I've rarely seen commercial (as in, in the newspaper inserts) coupons for these type of products. Sometimes, but rarely. And it's usually things like, "Buy a certain cereal and get milk free." Or, "Buy cereal and milk and get bananas free." But those can be valuable, if you like the other stuff you have to buy.

Where I regularly get coupons for these items is from my store's sale flyer. Once a month they print a coupon insert that goes in the flyer. It works like this: Milk might be $3.50 regular price. But it's $3 with your store loyalty card. But if you clip the coupon from the flyer, it will be $2; you get the savings from the rewards card, plus an extra $1 for clipping the coupon. They almost always have milk and bread in the coupons, and usually a few items of produce, too. They've also gotten to where you can go online and download "coupons" to your rewards card for items like this and then when you check out the savings automatically scans from your card.

So, there are coupons for "healthier" items out there, they just may not be in the standard coupon flyer you get on Sunday.

EvanMaddieMouse
06-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I have an index card box, with coupons filed according to category. I bring it with me every time I go anywhere I may need one. Once, in the grocery store, some middle aged man was grumbling and moaning behind me because I had so many coupons that it was adding minutes on to my time in line (I guess he was in some big hurry). He said something like, "What a waste of my time, it's not like it's even worth it to waste all that time on coupons," and the cashier overheard him. She turned the screen toward him and said, "Sir, I want you to see this. The total bill was $145 and because she is using coupons, she only has to give me $50." His mouth kind of dropped open, and he said, "Wow, oh. Wow!" :rotfl: I think we created a coupon believer that day!

Kycha
06-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm an avid couponer and I've rarely seen commercial (as in, in the newspaper inserts) coupons for these type of products. Sometimes, but rarely. And it's usually things like, "Buy a certain cereal and get milk free." Or, "Buy cereal and milk and get bananas free." But those can be valuable, if you like the other stuff you have to buy.

I guess it is a regional thing. But, I regularly get manufacturers coupons for milk, eggs, produce and meats. Especially for organic. I get Eggland's Best q's, Soymilk q's, Kunzler meats q's, Dole salad and fruit q's, Swiss Premium Milk q's, Hatfield meat q's, etc. Plus, I get the in store q's. I got $1 off eggs instore q from my favorite store yesterday.

Disneefun
06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
I guess it is a regional thing. But, I regularly get manufacturers coupons for milk, eggs, produce and meats. Especially for organic. I get Eggland's Best q's, Soymilk q's, Kunzler meats q's, Dole salad and fruit q's, Swiss Premium Milk q's, Hatfield meat q's, etc. Plus, I get the in store q's. I got $1 off eggs instore q from my favorite store yesterday.

I get all those, too, but I figure the PP was referring to produce you buy by the pound (not bagged salad or canned/jarred fruit), "store brand" meat from the butchers case (not name brand) and store brand-type eggs and milk. That's what I usually take people to mean when they say they can't get produce, meat or egg coupons. They're not looking for national brands or bagged/canned, just the store brands or the stuff you buy by the pound. And those types of coupons are the tings that usually your store offers coupons for, not the sunday flyers.

abeyst
06-08-2009, 09:56 AM

We get a few organic coupons here, but nothing for meats or milk or produce so it must be regional. Recently we started getting Eggland's Best, Cascadian Farms and once and awhile we see Kashi. It would be nice if we'd get more organic coupons, though. Then again, only a few stores around here carry organic meat/produce (Trader Joe's, Whole Foods). Meijer is better about produce and some other items (they have a Meijer brand organic line), but meat is very hard to find.

Kycha
06-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I get all those, too, but I figure the PP was referring to produce you buy by the pound (not bagged salad or canned/jarred fruit), "store brand" meat from the butchers case (not name brand) and store brand-type eggs and milk. That's what I usually take people to mean when they say they can't get produce, meat or egg coupons. They're not looking for national brands or bagged/canned, just the store brands or the stuff you buy by the pound. And those types of coupons are the tings that usually your store offers coupons for, not the sunday flyers.
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"
I mentioned using store coupons for milk, eggs, produce and meats earlier in this thread. Honestly, I get frustrated when people say they can't find coupons for "healthy" foods. They are out there and you can tell some people over and over and they just refuse to believe it. Some people have a pre conceived notion that the only stuff you can buy with coupons is unhealthy, processed crap. When that is just not the case.

Oh, and I forgot I get coupons for bread as well...Stroehmann and Arnold are the 2 that I get most frequently.

disneyfav4ever
06-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I guess it is a regional thing. But, I regularly get manufacturers coupons for milk, eggs, produce and meats. Especially for organic. I get Eggland's Best q's, Soymilk q's, Kunzler meats q's, Dole salad and fruit q's, Swiss Premium Milk q's, Hatfield meat q's, etc. Plus, I get the in store q's. I got $1 off eggs instore q from my favorite store yesterday.Maybe it is regional. You and I are both in PA, so maybe we get the same inserts in the paper.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"
I mentioned using store coupons for milk, eggs, produce and meats earlier in this thread. Honestly, I get frustrated when people say they can't find coupons for "healthy" foods. They are out there and you can tell some people over and over and they just refuse to believe it. Some people have a pre conceived notion that the only stuff you can buy with coupons is unhealthy, processed crap. When that is just not the case.

Oh, and I forgot I get coupons for bread as well...Stroehmann and Arnold are the 2 that I get most frequently.I agree. I never understand when people say they can only find coupons for junky processed food.

jodifla
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Maybe it is regional. You and I are both in PA, so maybe we get the same inserts in the paper.

I agree. I never understand when people say they can only find coupons for junky processed food.

We don't have much in the way of store coupons in the area that I live. We have discount shopper cards. So sure, I use them and shop store sales. I routinely whittle $20 to $70 off a shopping trip with those. Once a quarter, we do get coupons in the mail from our local store, and I use those.

But overall, actual coupons for stuff I buy are few and far between.

newtodis
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
OMG, this needs to be on the back of a t-shirt I can wear to the grocery store! Then everyone standing behind me in line can read it, laugh, and quietly move to a different line, lol! Confrontation averted!

I love it! I hope the OP doesn't mind that I borrowed it and put it on my facebook page - the family will love that! :rotfl:

It is a full time job though. I can understand why some people can't be bothered because they work. I stay at home and this is my job. I make more money staying home and cutting coupons then I would working full time and not having time to buy on sale or use them. I save thousands a year between cvs, coupons and buying strictly on sale or clearance.

Personally I think that's a load of bull that people "can't be bothered" if they're "working". Being a SAHP is just as much as a full time job IMHO. I work full time, am president of a volunteer organization that meets monthly and has monthly activities and are on call 24/7, have two young kids - one ready to start school and both are involved in activities, just to mention a few things. I coupon avidly! It's my "relaxation" honestly. It's one thing I'm really good at and it's something I'm proud of. It's my one hour a week to clip coupons and honestly, I know it saves me a lot of time in the store actually shopping. I'm much better about my list and only going down the aisles where I know I have things to get instead of just wandering every aisle and buying whatever looks good (raising the amount I'll spend). I think you can do anything (couponing, volunteering, whatever), if it's important enough to you to make the time. I kick myself daily for not being more of a "coupon freak" sooner.

Maybe it is regional. You and I are both in PA, so maybe we get the same inserts in the paper.

I agree. I never understand when people say they can only find coupons for junky processed food.

My Kroger sends me a lot of coupons for fruits, veggies, meats and cheeses. I've noticed quite a few from Target both printable and in the papers as well. Sign up for every website for the products you like that you can think of. If they don't offer coupons to be printed (if your stores take printables), send them a note about how much you love their products - they generally "reward" their customers with more coupons to keep using their products. :goodvibes

jodifla
06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I love it! I hope the OP doesn't mind that I borrowed it and put it on my facebook page - the family will love that! :rotfl:

Personally I think that's a load of bull that people "can't be bothered" if they're "working". Being a SAHP is just as much as a full time job IMHO. I work full time, am president of a volunteer organization that meets monthly and has monthly activities and are on call 24/7, have two young kids - one ready to start school and both are involved in activities, just to mention a few things. I coupon avidly! It's my "relaxation" honestly. It's one thing I'm really good at and it's something I'm proud of. It's my one hour a week to clip coupons and honestly, I know it saves me a lot of time in the store actually shopping. I'm much better about my list and only going down the aisles where I know I have things to get instead of just wandering every aisle and buying whatever looks good (raising the amount I'll spend). I think you can do anything (couponing, volunteering, whatever), if it's important enough to you to make the time. I kick myself daily for not being more of a "coupon freak" sooner.

My Kroger sends me a lot of coupons for fruits, veggies, meats and cheeses. I've noticed quite a few from Target both printable and in the papers as well. Sign up for every website for the products you like that you can think of. If they don't offer coupons to be printed (if your stores take printables), send them a note about how much you love their products - they generally "reward" their customers with more coupons to keep using their products. :goodvibes

This is a good tip about signing up for products that you like. Thanks!

But I got away from couponing overall about 10 years ago. I'd go with this big wad of coupons, and I'd find cheaper products that were store brands, or the coupon I had didn't match the products they had. So I did pretty much deem it not worth my time.

It's interesting to hear about the different strategies, though.

And those Kroger coupons are nice, but I only get them every 3 months or so.

dopeyrunner
06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Ok So I am probably a little young for this thread but I love coupons!!! My mom has always couponed. I remember many times spending over an hour in the grocery stores matching coupons with items and if there is a better deal. I think it taught me a great lesson and I coupon now, I enjoy seeing how much I save and how I can get more than my roommate spending the same amount of cash at the store.
I also don't care that my friends think I am crazy cause I travel with an entertainment book in my car. I love that book and the BOGO coupons, there is even coupon for the grocery stores in the area where you spend $50 you get another $5 off.
So to all the mom's the coupon hopefully your kids will pick up on your good habits.

disneyfav4ever
06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Personally I think that's a load of bull that people "can't be bothered" if they're "working". Being a SAHP is just as much as a full time job IMHO. I work full time, am president of a volunteer organization that meets monthly and has monthly activities and are on call 24/7, have two young kids - one ready to start school and both are involved in activities, just to mention a few things. I coupon avidly! It's my "relaxation" honestly. It's one thing I'm really good at and it's something I'm proud of. It's my one hour a week to clip coupons and honestly, I know it saves me a lot of time in the store actually shopping. I'm much better about my list and only going down the aisles where I know I have things to get instead of just wandering every aisle and buying whatever looks good (raising the amount I'll spend). I think you can do anything (couponing, volunteering, whatever), if it's important enough to you to make the time. I kick myself daily for not being more of a "coupon freak" sooner.I agree. I work. Coupons really only do take an hour or less for me to clip and sort. And then I can breeze through the store, knowing exactly what I'm getting.

secretpantssam
06-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't understand how people can be anti-coupon. I get just not using them, but actually being against coupons is beyond me. They are essentially someone giving me money to buy something I was already going to buy. What is wrong with that. I think some people are just so worried that someone will think they're cheap if they don't pay full price for something. Personally I'd rather save money than impress someone I don't know at a grocery store by paying full price for everything.

Ashley Kees
06-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I am a pretty serious couponer, I had to share a story. I was with my kids and DH at Target last summer, buying two packs of Huggies that were on sale. I had two Huggies coupons, each said "save $1 on any size Huggies" and they weren't scanning properly. The cashier, who was VERY rude and was actually fired pover this incident argued with me that the coupon was for a different size, regardless of what it said. She actually tried to tell me that the STORES made the rules about the coupons. The VERY rude man behind us took two dollars out of his wallet, slammed them down on the counter, and yelled that he was sick of [us] poor people using coupons holding him up (on a Sunday afternoon) and here was our lousy two bucks. DH lost his mind, wadded up the bills and threw them in his face while reading him the riot act. The whole store was silent until the (idiot) cashier started laughing, and DH started yelling at her. The store manager came over, has another line open for the very angry man, told our cashier to go wait for her in the office, and gave us a $50 gift card for our "suffering". The next week that cashier was no longer there and they had new registers, and I haven't had a single coupon not go through since.

I can't believe how rude some people are...to say something that inappropriate, and to my kids! That was an experience that still makes my stomach turn!

cjnix29
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
To me it is a game, to see how much I can NOT spend at the store. I am getting better at it, but no way would I ever get to the point of spending only 50 on a $145 bill like a PP has said. How do you do that?! I do my best matching up coupons with sale items, and if it isn't on sale, and I don't have a coupon, unless it is an essential, I don't buy it. Love these boards to hear how people do it!

Falltime
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
speaking of coupons can someone recommend a good coupon organizer to take with me to the store - or how do you organize them? right now I just throw them all in my purse then I am fishing for them when I get to the store (never in line though) wouldn't want that lady behind me making snotty comments!

DarthKTrava
06-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I'd have made a side comment back "Must be nice to be able to afford to pay full price for stuff...." as I'm handing the coupons off to the cashier. Make sure they can hear it.

Kycha
06-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Jackpot! Stonyfield Farms has just released a ton of new coupons. So, if you want q's for organic yogurt, smoothies, milk or ice cream check them out. You have to register on their site to print the coupons.

http://coupons.stonyfield.com/new_coupon3.cfm

disneyfav4ever
06-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I am a pretty serious couponer, I had to share a story. I was with my kids and DH at Target last summer, buying two packs of Huggies that were on sale. I had two Huggies coupons, each said "save $1 on any size Huggies" and they weren't scanning properly. The cashier, who was VERY rude and was actually fired pover this incident argued with me that the coupon was for a different size, regardless of what it said. She actually tried to tell me that the STORES made the rules about the coupons. The VERY rude man behind us took two dollars out of his wallet, slammed them down on the counter, and yelled that he was sick of [us] poor people using coupons holding him up (on a Sunday afternoon) and here was our lousy two bucks. DH lost his mind, wadded up the bills and threw them in his face while reading him the riot act. The whole store was silent until the (idiot) cashier started laughing, and DH started yelling at her. The store manager came over, has another line open for the very angry man, told our cashier to go wait for her in the office, and gave us a $50 gift card for our "suffering". The next week that cashier was no longer there and they had new registers, and I haven't had a single coupon not go through since.

I can't believe how rude some people are...to say something that inappropriate, and to my kids! That was an experience that still makes my stomach turn!:scared1: I can't believe how rude some people can be.

speaking of coupons can someone recommend a good coupon organizer to take with me to the store - or how do you organize them? right now I just throw them all in my purse then I am fishing for them when I get to the store (never in line though) wouldn't want that lady behind me making snotty comments!I just use a check organizer with twelve dividers, and organize the items by aisle.

thebeesknees
06-08-2009, 04:58 PM
speaking of coupons can someone recommend a good coupon organizer to take with me to the store - or how do you organize them? right now I just throw them all in my purse then I am fishing for them when I get to the store (never in line though) wouldn't want that lady behind me making snotty comments!

I picked up an index card holder in the office supply section at Walmart. There are little dividers in it that I labeled for different grocery categories (Dairy, Frozen Foods, Baking, etc.) It holds quite a few coupons, but is still small enough to throw in my purse before I go into a store. Plus, everything is organized, so if I see something I think I might have a coupon for, it's really easy to find. I cut coupons for almost everything, even if I don't normally use that brand or item, because sometimes there are unadvertised sale items that come out to free or nearly free that I can pass onto the food pantry, etc.

disneyfav4ever
06-08-2009, 05:03 PM
On another note, did my weekly grocery shopping today, spent $30-some, saved $80 some. And my purchases did include dairy and produce. Of course, if you add in the $10 I spent yesterday, I spent $40-some this week, and saved over $100, and then you can include meat in my savings as well. And bread, I bought bread too.

disneyfav4ever
06-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Jackpot! Stonyfield Farms has just released a ton of new coupons. So, if you want q's for organic yogurt, smoothies, milk or ice cream check them out. You have to register on their site to print the coupons.

http://coupons.stonyfield.com/new_coupon3.cfmThanks for the link! I love Stonyfield, especially that Oikos Greek yogurt stuff.

mommycrawford
06-08-2009, 05:15 PM
She'll probably be REALLY embarrassed when her house goes into forclosure and she has to change clothes in the mall toilets because she's so busy worrying about other people's coupon use instead of taking care of business!:rolleyes1

...I had a friend in High School who used to brush his teeth durng the day....I thought it strange, and asked....He said that he was going to have to take care of his own dental bills in the near future, so wanted to take care of his teeth!

Forward thinking people, people with a plan, are not always "popular:" they are often progressive, ahead of their time, and smarter than those around them!:idea:

You take care of business, and anyone who doesn't respect that, especially in these times, is off their nut!:flower3:

figaromeetsmarie
06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
I hate when people huff and puff in line behind you. I always have my coupons out, ready, in order with them all going to same way to make it fast for the cashier to scan,etc.

I don't *have* to use coupons, but I love using the money for other things. I am stimulating the economy more with the money I am saving from coupons.

Like today, I bought Organic Milk, 10 Whole Wheat Ronzoni Pastas, Cherries, Bananas,and Wheat Bread, Total BC $30.86 w/tax...AC $6.17:goodvibes

mskayjay
06-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I use coupons all the time and save well over 50% every week. I cannot remember the last time I spent more than that, seriously.

I am a member of weusecoupons.com, a free site where we all help each other find the best deals at our local stores as well as the national chains and I sincerely invite all of you to come over and check it out. It is much smaller than the big boys of couponing so you get to know people quickly and it makes shopping at your own local stores so much easier! For anyone who doesn't use coupons, good for you. Let me send you my address and you can mail me your inserts each week! To me its like money found!

mskayjay
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
AND another thing........I wanna go back to WDW soooooooo bad I can't stand it! If I keep saving, I can get there faster so hopefully Miss WitchyPoo is so broke she won't be there! lol

Argent
06-08-2009, 05:58 PM
you shouldn't be ashamed at all of using coupons and saving money. By the sounds of it the OP had a lot of coupons and the lady was just being impatient. It does not bother me to be behind someone using coupons no matter how many they have.

What does bothers me is when people (women) dig through their purse for two minutes for coins. Or when the cashier tells a person the amount they then get their checkbook out - Something they should have been doing when the cashier was ringing up their order. I just say if you are in line to pay for something be prepared and not make everyone wait. Keep on using those coupons though!

EvanMaddieMouse
06-08-2009, 06:05 PM
you shouldn't be ashamed at all of using coupons and saving money. By the sounds of it the OP had a lot of coupons and the lady was just being impatient. It does not bother me to be behind someone using coupons no matter how many they have.

What does bothers me is when people (women) dig through their purse for two minutes for coins. Or when the cashier tells a person the amount they then get their checkbook out - Something they should have been doing when the cashier was ringing up their order. I just say if you are in line to pay for something be prepared and not make everyone wait. Keep on using those coupons though!

OMG, you just triggered a memory from a shopping trip to Farmer Jack several years ago---there was a couple in line ahead of me, and after their purchases were rung up completely and bagged, the male half of this couple reached into his pocket and pulled out a huge ball of crumpled-up coupons, and threw them, yes threw them! down onto the conveyor belt. :scared1:

The cashier said, "Are you kidding me with this?" but actually smoothed out and scanned them all. Much more patient of a person than I would have been, I'll tell you that!

disneyfav4ever
06-08-2009, 06:08 PM

What does bothers me is when people (women) dig through their purse for two minutes for coins. Or when the cashier tells a person the amount they then get their checkbook out - Something they should have been doing when the cashier was ringing up their order. I just say if you are in line to pay for something be prepared and not make everyone wait. Keep on using those coupons though!I think some people just need to be more patient. I do always have my coupons ready, and I don't go through express unless the amount of items and coupons I have combined aren't over 10. I also won't go through self checkout since that always seems to have problems with coupons.

I know that sometimes though people hand cashiers piles of coupons that they didn't buy the products for, or that are expired. And then they'll argue with the cashiers, and hold up the lines. That does annoy me, but that's because they are trying to cheat the system, and not because of their coupon usage in general, just the coupon fraud.

I think people who commit coupon fraud give couponers a bad name.

I realize I'm kind of going off topic now, but some couponers do purposefully try and use expired coupons, one coupon that they have cut cleverly enough that it looks like two coupons, or use ten coupons when they only bought five items.

I know I started this thread to let off some steam about that lady having a problem with my coupon usage, but I had a long day at work today, and needed to vent.

delmar411
06-08-2009, 06:10 PM

I get these as well. At least once a month plus an additional booklet every couple months of organic coupons. That doesn't include the organic coupons I find in the store. Here not many people buy organic so I can often find gallons of organic milk marked down for less than regular milk. Same with cheese and cereal and soups. And I tend to have coupons to go along with those mark downs which makes it an even better deal.

I don't find coupons to be an embarrassment but I also don't really care whether the person in line behind me thinks I'm poor or not. I've had plenty of ppl ask me how I do it as well as ppl who choose to not go to other lines just so they can see what my final total will be. (ok, that is kinda embarrassing! LOL)

disneyfav4ever
06-08-2009, 06:11 PM
OMG, you just triggered a memory from a shopping trip to Farmer Jack several years ago---there was a couple in line ahead of me, and after their purchases were rung up completely and bagged, the male half of this couple reached into his pocket and pulled out a huge ball of crumpled-up coupons, and threw them, yes threw them! down onto the conveyor belt. :scared1:

The cashier said, "Are you kidding me with this?" but actually smoothed out and scanned them all. Much more patient of a person than I would have been, I'll tell you that!I've had customers wait until the end of an order, and then give me a whole page of coupons, and then I have to figure out which one of the four or five on the page they want to use.

LuvMy3Monkeys
06-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I hate when people huff and puff in line behind you. I always have my coupons out, ready, in order with them all going to same way to make it fast for the cashier to scan,etc.

Me, too! :mad:

Some people really have ZERO patience anymore... I mean is it really that serious that someone is taking five minutes longer than expected? It just drives me nuts!!

One night at Walmart I was buying a cart full and a man behind me buying a weed wacker (or whatever the technical term is for those things.. :confused3 ). He was huffing and puffing and the cashier explained to him that there was no wait at the self-checkout, but he wasn't interested.

He started to mumble some rude comments under his breath... so I turned to him and said why don't you try www.walmart.com?? And then continued with my purchase... he looked at me like he was in shock and then walked over to the self check up :rotfl:

disneyfav4ever
06-08-2009, 06:15 PM
You know what I also don't get? Why some people buy one or two of an item, when it's cheaper to buy three or four of the item. I understand if it's like produce or something, and it'll go bad before they use it. But if it's a pantry item, why not just get the extra one, so you don't have to buy one later at full price when you need another one?

jodifla
06-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I get these as well. At least once a month plus an additional booklet every couple months of organic coupons. That doesn't include the organic coupons I find in the store. Here not many people buy organic so I can often find gallons of organic milk marked down for less than regular milk. Same with cheese and cereal and soups. And I tend to have coupons to go along with those mark downs which makes it an even better deal.

I don't find coupons to be an embarrassment but I also don't really care whether the person in line behind me thinks I'm poor or not. I've had plenty of ppl ask me how I do it as well as ppl who choose to not go to other lines just so they can see what my final total will be. (ok, that is kinda embarrassing! LOL)

Again, my Kroger sends them out maybe every 3 months. NOT MONTHLY!

I feel like these "extreme coupons" are quite a bit like those big fish stories you hear about!!!

I just went to the store: needed fresh cilantro, squash, and chicken. No coupons available!!!!

Donnask8pro
06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I havent read the whole thread but usually when I go they need a key to overide how many coupins I have. Which means we have rto wait for a front end Mmgr. That really makes people crazy. I always tell the cashier. "Turn on the light now, you'll need a key".. lol

Kycha
06-08-2009, 07:01 PM

I feel like these "extreme coupons" are quite a bit like those big fish stories you hear about!!!

I just went to the store: needed fresh cilantro, squash, and chicken. No coupons available!!!!
If you are looking for ways to save then I suggest you frequent a savings and coupons discussion board.

Here are links to the Kroger forum to 3 of my favorite sites. The Kroger forums on all 3 websites are very active.
http://www.afullcup.com/forums/kroger/
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/kroger-chain-stores/
http://www.weusecoupons.com/upload/kroger/ Thanks mskayjay!

disneyfav4ever
06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
If you are looking for ways to save then I suggest you frequent a savings and coupons discussion board.

Here are links to the Kroger forum to 3 of my favorite sites. The Kroger forums on all 3 websites are very active.
http://www.afullcup.com/forums/kroger/
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/kroger-chain-stores/
http://www.weusecoupons.com/upload/kroger/ Thanks mskayjay!I really like Hot Coupon World as well.

luvmy3
06-08-2009, 07:37 PM

If I were her husband I'd be embarassed to show my face in public with her :laughing:

LizinSTL
06-09-2009, 06:50 AM

Jumping in... I currently have 20 $1 off any produce coupons and about 10 $2 off any meat or poultry coupons. I'd have saved at least $3 on what you purchased. That said, I don't buy chicken unless it's on sale and I always have some in the freezer to use.

I haven't read all the pages in this thread but shopping with coupons requires that you also shop loss leaders and really work the pantry principal. And do some level of meal planning, either weekly or monthly. If you are unwilling to do that, then coupons may be a waste of time.

I'm saving, on average, 60-78% of my weekly grocery bill with store sales and coupons.

goofy5
06-09-2009, 07:29 AM
I would just laughed and said "I would be embrassed to show my face in public making such rude comments"

BLAH! people like that need to just shut up

allison443
06-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Jumping in... I currently have 20 $1 off any produce coupons and about 10 $2 off any meat or poultry coupons. I'd have saved at least $3 on what you purchased. That said, I don't buy chicken unless it's on sale and I always have some in the freezer to use.

Where did you get those, if you don't mind me asking? We get three Sunday newspapers and honestly I never see those kind of coupons. Were they issued by a particular store for use at that store? TIA!

allison443
06-09-2009, 07:34 AM
I haven't read all the pages in this thread but shopping with coupons requires that you also shop loss leaders and really work the pantry principal. And do some level of meal planning, either weekly or monthly. If you are unwilling to do that, then coupons may be a waste of time.

I'm saving, on average, 60-78% of my weekly grocery bill with store sales and coupons.

I definitely agree about the loss leaders...I have been making an effort to hit three different chains for their loss leaders...it helps! :thumbsup2 (My kids even know what loss leaders are!)

LizinSTL
06-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Where did you get those, if you don't mind me asking? We get three Sunday newspapers and honestly I never see those kind of coupons. Were they issued by a particular store for use at that store? TIA!

They are typically tear pads in the liquor department or around the supermarket. I usually take 2 or 3 on my first trip, if they are still there on my 3rd or 4th visit, I grab a stack- never cleaning them out.

Most recently, I found $2 off any purchase of KRAFT product and $2 off any meat or poultry w/ purchase of KRAFT. I have found $1 off produce in the bread aisle or in the salad dressing aisle. $$ off meat near the BBQ sauce or in produce.

The liquor tearpads and winetags vary by retailer and state. My state doesn't require a liquor purchase to use them so they are sponsored by, say, Coors but I just get $1 off any salty snack or bag of ice w/o the required liquor purchase. I also do rebates from the liquor dept. I currently have a $10 back w/ the purchase of steak or seafood ($10 min purchase) and $15 back when you spend $50 on a cooler, bagged ice and/OR salty snacks, meat, produce or condiments.

Let's say I just buy produce and meat this week- my store has $10 off $50 purchase once every couple weeks.

$12 in chicken
$8 in fish
$10 in beef and pork
$5 lettuce, tomato, onion
$10 in fruits
$5 in dairy products

Less $10 off $50 purchase
Less $2 off any meat or poultry x2
Less $1 off any produce x 5

My cost would be $21 for $50 in fresh whole foods
Plus I'd get $15 back in a rebate check in 6-8 weeks.

That said, my freezer is stocked w/ meats and we're going camping over the weekend so my purchases will be a bit different. The last time I shopped for week's groceries plus a camping trip. I spent $26 but my pre-coupon price was $78 and my total savings w/ store sales too was 84%.

allison443
06-09-2009, 07:52 AM
They are typically tear pads in the liquor department or around the supermarket. I usually take 2 or 3 on my first trip, if they are still there on my 3rd or 4th visit, I grab a stack- never cleaning them out.

Most recently, I found $2 off any purchase of KRAFT product and $2 off any meat or poultry w/ purchase of KRAFT. I have found $1 off produce in the bread aisle or in the salad dressing aisle. $$ off meat near the BBQ sauce or in produce.

The liquor tearpads and winetags vary by retailer and state. My state doesn't require a liquor purchase to use them so they are sponsored by, say, Coors but I just get $1 off any salty snack or bag of ice w/o the required liquor purchase. I also do rebates from the liquor dept. I currently have a $10 back w/ the purchase of steak or seafood ($10 min purchase) and $15 back when you spend $50 on a cooler, bagged ice and/OR salty snacks, meat, produce or condiments.

Let's say I just buy produce and meat this week- my store has $10 off $50 purchase once every couple weeks.

$12 in chicken
$8 in fish
$10 in beef and pork
$5 lettuce, tomato, onion
$10 in fruits
$5 in dairy products

Less $10 off $50 purchase
Less $2 off any meat or poultry x2
Less $1 off any produce x 5

My cost would be $21 for $50 in fresh whole foods
Plus I'd get $15 back in a rebate check in 6-8 weeks.

That said, my freezer is stocked w/ meats and we're going camping over the weekend so my purchases will be a bit different. The last time I shopped for week's groceries plus a camping trip. I spent $26 but my pre-coupon price was $78 and my total savings w/ store sales too was 84%.

Wow, you did good! :thumbsup2 My state must be weird, we cannot purchase beer, wine, or liquor in supermarkets, only liquor stores. DH usually makes that stop-I will have to tell him to look for coupons...he'll love that!
Thanks for the info Liz!

flamingglobessigmund
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
To the OP, people can have all the money in the world, but still not have much class. Don't let the negative people get you down.

I started out with 2 little coupon wallets (one for food, one for non-food). Eventually, I outgrew that and got a .15˘ binder from Staples, put in business card size inserts, tabbed the sections I need with my label maker, and take that in a tote bag to the store.

Ava
06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Regarding the Tar-Jay coupon clipping shopper (Target!)... You can print coupons for Target online OR at their kiosks where the registrations can be printed! :thumbsup2

Just go to the kiosk, choose Target.com, go to the bottom of that page, and in one of the colums on the bottom, under "Target Stores", click "Grocery Coupons"... Print them in seconds on their paper and ink! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Many on the Target savings thread use them, and get FREE or NEXT TO FREE ITEMS! I'm thinking that you can even stack manufacturer's coupons in addition to these store coupons! Have fun, and relish the moment when the onlookers stand in awe of how LITTLE you are paying! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Wow, thanks for this tip! Our Target is just a regular one, not a Super Target, but I'm going to try this next time I go there. Oh, and you can in fact combine manufacturer coupons with Target's coupons. We got a bunch of Target coupons for diapers & such when we did a baby registry there, and were able to combine them with manufacturer coupons.

P.S. - Someone mentioned way up the thread about returning bottles & cans. I've thought about starting to do this, but don't know where to take them. Does the supermarket take them back? Or do you have to take them to a recycling center or something. (I'm in NY & I think this poster was too.)

Lewisc
06-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't make that comment, but I would think it, if the person using the coupons:

Was trying to use expired coupons.
Was trying to use coupons for items they didn't purchase.
Was trying to use coupons for the wrong size item.
Was trying to use multiple coupons when the terms prohibit it.
Was trying to use coupons that were obviously not valid. Coupons that were photocopied or obviously photoshopped.

I didn't read this entire thread. I don't think my comments apply to anyone in this thread. Customers that abuse coupons reduce the number of offers that are made availble to honest customers.

disneyfav4ever
06-09-2009, 10:23 AM
i wouldn't make that comment, but i would think it, if the person using the coupons:

was trying to use expired coupons.
was trying to use coupons for items they didn't purchase.
was trying to use coupons for the wrong size item.
was trying to use multiple coupons when the terms prohibit it.
was trying to use coupons that were obviously not valid. Coupons that were photocopied or obviously photoshopped.

i didn't read this entire thread. I don't think my comments apply to anyone in this thread. Customers that abuse coupons reduce the number of offers that are made availble to honest customers.ita.

acename
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
My mom is sort of like this. Not so much about the embarassed part, but about it being a waste of time. We just agree to disagee. I think her problem is she doesn't want to take the hour or so it takes to match up the coupons with sales.

As far as there not being coupons for non-processed food, I find that to be a problem in my area too. But I find that all of the money I save on my toiletries and cleaning items with coupons provides more money for good whole foods. I mean, if I only used coupons for diapers it would be worth my time. A great example from this week, cvs had gillette fusion razors for 7.99 and you get 4 ecbs. There was a 4 dollar coupon in the paper this week for that item. My husband got a new razor for free. They also had Dawn dishwashing liquid on sale 2/2 and you get 1 ecb when you buy two. I had two 50 cent Dawn coupons so I got those free too. It literatly took me about 2 minutes to read the ad and get out the coupons.

disneyfav4ever
06-09-2009, 11:27 AM
My mom is sort of like this. Not so much about the embarassed part, but about it being a waste of time. We just agree to disagee. I think her problem is she doesn't want to take the hour or so it takes to match up the coupons with sales.

As far as there not being coupons for non-processed food, I find that to be a problem in my area too. But I find that all of the money I save on my toiletries and cleaning items with coupons provides more money for good whole foods. I mean, if I only used coupons for diapers it would be worth my time. A great example from this week, cvs had gillette fusion razors for 7.99 and you get 4 ecbs. There was a 4 dollar coupon in the paper this week for that item. My husband got a new razor for free. They also had Dawn dishwashing liquid on sale 2/2 and you get 1 ecb when you buy two. I had two 50 cent Dawn coupons so I got those free too. It literatly took me about 2 minutes to read the ad and get out the coupons.I think coupons for toiletries are some of the best savings. I was looking in my bathroom closet, figuring out what the whole cost for stuff was, and besides the Bath and Body Works stuff, I think I spent less then $10 on everything else. I know all the toothpaste I got for free.

LizinSTL
06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I think coupons for toiletries are some of the best savings. I was looking in my bathroom closet, figuring out what the whole cost for stuff was, and besides the Bath and Body Works stuff, I think I spent less then $10 on everything else. I know all the toothpaste I got for free.

I agree. I don't think I've paid for toothpaste, cough medicine, pain relievers, toothbrushes, shampoo or deoderant for a looooong time

C.Ann
06-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Ever wonder how the "Millionaire Next-Door" got to be a millionaire? There is a millionaire (possibly worth even more) who has a place right across the road from me here at the lake.. I have known him (and his late wife) for over 20 years and you would never, ever know how wealthy they are if you didn't have the "inside info".. (Small, plain looking, summer place - nothing fancy about it at all..) And you know what? Coupons play a BIG part in every shopping expedition..;)

The "rude" woman will likely run out of money long before the savvy coupon person will..:rotfl:

aliceindisneyland
06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Sorry everything running slow so can't read all pages--sorry if this is a repeat, but
I think of coupons as vouchers for cash--it's like my newspaper rolls $10-$30 into my Sunday paper! And who would throw out cash?

Bet the coupon snob is over her head in debt--most truly wealthy people I know DO clip coupons and are quite frugal.

chris1gill
06-09-2009, 02:42 PM

My thought exactly.....

nancijin
06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
She is the rude one, and probaly in debt and close to losing her house and just poor money management. We couponers are the SMART ones and every little bit counts, I am putting my second thur college now, and I have used coupons and bargins my whole life. I hold my head up high!!!!!!!! lol

NYCDiane
06-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Here's how I do it..... Before going to the supermarket, I look at the flyer and see what's on sale, if I use it, and if I have coupons for it. I make my list and put a * next to the items I have coupons for. I know that milk, bread, etc rarely have coupons but sometimes they do! I recently had a $1 off coupon for milk and a 75 cents off for bread (which doubled to $1.50).

On one of my recent shopping trips, I saved about $27 using coupons. One of my very best times was when I had a $160 total and, after coupons, brought it down to about $40-something. The people behind me were in SHOCK. (most of the stuff was free (doubling of $1 coupons) and I also had a $10 off your shopping order coupon --- still great, though!)

Octoberbabiesrus
06-10-2009, 02:14 PM

Excuse me while I put on my indignent hat.... I am not *buying* coupons. THEY bought them. I am paying for the time to cut them and send them to me.:thumbsup2

alyssa810
06-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I would NEVER be embarrassed to use coupons! They've saved me $1000s over the years! When I shop, I take the store circular and go through my coupons like other PPs because taking the few minutes to do this to save $$$ is totally worth the time IMO (and it doesn't take that long, really). I'm also a coupon train rider so I'm getting coupons sent to me from another coupon cutter, again, totally worth it.
We also return our bottles and cans and use the money for our Dis fund, again totally worth it. If we go for a walk in the neighborhood, we take a bag to pick up cans & bottles so we're getting money for the fund AND we're doing our part cleaning up our neighborhood! Luckily we have redemption places in our local markets and around town so it's never a hassle.

MaryKLady
06-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Don't mind her, people are crazy. She's probably broke and wants everyone to think she's not.

I am always in awe of people who "coupon" well....

We were on vacation in CO. I stopped in Walmart for something small. I picked it up and got in line..of course I pick the line with the lady who has two filled carts to check out :scared1: OK, I'm on vacation, whatever...this woman had a fist full of coupons and a stack of Sunday fliers. As the cashier went through her loot, the lady would have her price match the item from another store's flier and then she pulled out the matching coupon. I stood there in awe, completely forgetting DH was outside waiting in the car, and watched. By the time she was done she had two FILLED, and I mean FILLED, carts of stuff, from trash cans to printer paper to salad dressing to Coke...her total....$78!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The funniest part was she kept looking at me and apologizing for taking so long. I told her I was staying for the show because I wanted to see how low her bill would be. All hail the coupon queen :worship:

figaromeetsmarie
06-14-2009, 09:50 PM
I just wanted to say that I eat a lot of organic/natural food, and sometimes I can use coupons!
Take for instance this shopping trip I did today to Walmart.

3 Kashi Pizzas
4 Kashi Granola Bars
2 Organic Chai
Organic Yogurt
2 Purina Cat Food
Before coupons $48.93 with tax:eek:
But...after coupons $24.18
That is a savings of $24.75 just for clipping and printing coupons and matching them up with sales! This is stuff I would normally buy anyway

peyjax
06-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Well the rude snob in the OP's post would have fainted at our local store this week. They were tripiling coupons up to $2! It was packed with nothing but coupon people. I spent a few hours printing off coupons online and went and saved 85% of my bill! It was like a huge rush nothing embarrasing at all, perhaps being surrounded by coupon lovers didn't hurt.

HGD24
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Dh was stopping at the grocery store on the way home from work last week. He went out to lunch with 2 co-workers. They saw the coupon book in the car and asked what it was. When DH told them, one guy commented that he would "never use coupons" and the other said, "We probably should, but we don't because you end up buying things you don't need." DH proudly told them that we save at least $15 per grocery or Target trip using coupons and even more when we really take the time to shop sales and that we only clip coupons for products that we use. Both of these guys are married and constantly complain about being in debt. DH and I look at coupons as free money - why wouldn't you want to save a few bucks each week? When you total it for the year, it's a substantial savings.

minnie1928
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Well the rude snob in the OP's post would have fainted at our local store this week. They were tripiling coupons up to $2! It was packed with nothing but coupon people. I spent a few hours printing off coupons online and went and saved 85% of my bill! It was like a huge rush nothing embarrasing at all, perhaps being surrounded by coupon lovers didn't hurt.

Wow! I'd go nuts at that sale!!

Chuck S
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
I use coupons if there is one for a product I normally purchase. None of the stores nearby double or tripple them, they are face value only. :(

However, there was a lady in front of me at Walmart using the self check line a few months ago, and they have a sensor that detects if you drop the coupon in the slot. The sensor was broken. She had a handful of coupons, and the register would shut down every time she'd ring a coupon, and take a full minute to reset and come back online. In that instance, I would have NOT used the coupons and simply saved them for next time. The store was absolutely packed and didn't have enough cashiers (not unusual, unfortunately) and I had to go wait in another long line to check-out. She was still fiddling with the coupons 40 minutes later as I was leaving. :sad2:

christa112
06-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I love using coupons!!! :thumbsup2 It is just a high for me to see how much I can save. Yesterday, I saved $25.00 at BJ's in coupons :cool1: There could be a 100 people behind me in line and I wouldn't care what any of them said about me.

ksjayhawkfan
06-15-2009, 01:57 PM
I use coupons if there is one for a product I normally purchase. None of the stores nearby double or tripple them, they are face value only. :(

This is my issue also. I live in a small town. We have a WalMart and a Dillons. No one doubles. The coupons in the paper are usually for junk. The closest Wallgreens/CVS/Target/etc are 45 minutes away, and with the price of gas its just not worth it.

BebopBaloo
06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Hooray for coupons!! There's nothing wrong with saving $$! :cheer2:

Ava
06-15-2009, 02:00 PM
I use coupons when I can, but would like to get better at it. Where I live (Brooklyn) we only have smaller local chains that don't do store coupons, but I use mfgr coupons when I can and also use the store's loyalty card which often has an extra discount off of sale items.

We also have a food co-op. They have a monthly coupon book and often put the same items on sale that there are coupons for, so we match those up and get organic brands for the same price or less than regular brands. They also "coupon share" within the store - they have a bunch of the booklets on a counter at the front and a basket for people to throw in coupons they don't use, so you can get multiples of coupons you want. We also get a small (3%) discount for being members. It usually only takes a few cents off of each item, but over the course of a year our savings well exceeds the membership fee.

shasess
06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
She sounds like a busy body! :snooty:

gdulaney
06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Recently our local paper ran an interview with Truett Cathy (founder of Chick-fil-A).

My wife said she would cook three meals a day if I would just take her out to dinner after church on Sunday. [Since Chick-fil-A is closed on Sundays] I’ll eat with my competition to see what they’re doing.

Oftentimes I just put it in a sack and take it home so I won’t be seen eating at my competitors. Everybody that sells Cokes is my competitor, and chicken houses and other people in direct competition — so I take advantage of coupons I get in the paper — buy one, get one free. …

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2009/05/03/truett_cathy_sunday.html

I've had folks make comments to me and only one time did it really get to me. This guy was so rude. I finally said that if he wanted to give me the cash that I was going to save, I'd skip the coupons. Amazingly enough he hushed. :)

Thank you to all the couponing folks who have been sharing their successes, tip and the occasional frustration.

Ginny