PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging Disney Dollars for Cash

bootleg89
06-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi, I'm not sure if this is posted in the right place but I hope someone can help me. I am planning on buying disney dollars to cover my expenses on my trip in Sept. Decided to buy these instead of a giftcard that way it's more likely I can buy something and get change in cash and don't get stuck with a balance on a giftcard, if I even end up having anything left. Want to do this so that I have the money ready but don't want to have it cash cause then it'll be to tempting to spend on other things before trip- out of sight out of mind.
Now my question is do I have to buy something in order to get change back in cash before I leave or is there somewhere I can go and exchange them for cash?

And on a side not, this is my first trip and have no idea how much to take for spending. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for all your help.

stitchlovestink
06-05-2009, 08:00 AM
well our Disney store's policy is you have to have the receipt in order to convert DD (disney dollars) back into real cash. At WDW, it has always been MY experience that you can convert DD back into real cash pretty much anywhere. It is usually easiest to do it somewhere like the front desk of your hotel (provided you're staying on property) or at guest services rather than at a store. I, personally, have never had a problem converting DD back into cash at WDW. That is also why I prefer DD to a disney gift card.
As far as spending money that's a tough one. I love my souvies so I take a lot. It also depends on the # of people are you talking about, the length of the trip, etc. Is this $ for just souvies and odds and ends, or are you incl the cost of your food. You'd need to give more details for people to be able to make suggestions.
Have a wonderful trip. :goodvibes

bootleg89
06-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks. So glad to hear that I can convert it back to cash.
As far as the spending money goes there are 3 of us. Myself, husband and 5 year old daughter. We are on the dining plan and only need money for tips for dining, already have that covered.
My spending allowance would then just be to cover any additional snacks or drinks we might want, souvenirs and the likes. Thanks for the help.

MomBoyd
06-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I usually spend an average of $35 a day on snacks and souvenirs for my family of 3.