PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis Festival 500 Half - May 8th, 2010

WDWFAN9
06-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Dinner Plans added below!
Hello Team!

Some of us are registering for the Indy half next May 8th. I know, I know, that is a long time from now, but this race traditionally sells out so I wanted to let everyone know about it in plenty of time. DH Jim and I did this one in 2008 and it is by far the best half we have done in terms of entertainment and crowd support. The course is very flat (and includes a lap around the Indy Speedway) and the medal is really cool....whatelse is there?? Oh ya, the registration costs only $50 - what a bargain!!

Right now through the race website you can get a room at the Hilton (within walking distance of the expo, race start/finish, and after-race party) for only $103 per night for that Friday and Saturday night. That is an amazing price and rooms probably won't be available for long.

If you are looking for a fun event next spring please come join us - the more the merrier!!

WDWFAN (Pat) and DH jims2cool (Jim)
FireDancer (Frank)
getnthinr (Wendy)
Tiger Lily 03 (lily)
Maherae (Anne) and DH Robert
MouseDogMom (Jackie)
escape (Susie) and DH Steve
kareneast (Karen) and DH SpaceRanger (John)
mousemgr2 (Susan) and Cathy
TEK224 (Terri)

Dinner at Old Spaghetti Factory Friday night:

Firedancer
MouseDogMom & 2
TigerLily 03 & DH
WDWFAN9 & jims2cool
kareneast & SpaceRanger
TEK224
Maherae & DH
CapeCodRod
getnthnr

:woohoo::woohoo::thumbsup2:woohoo::woohoo:

MouseDogMom
06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
You just had to post this today, didn't you? I was talking about this today at work, and how it's on my must-do list. Just don't know if 2010 is the year or not! Must put the budget cap on and work out some more details. DD is the huge Indy fan, and she's even said she'll find a way to run a half if I decide to do this one...

Jackie

WDWFAN9
06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Come on Jackie!! It'd be fun!!

FireDancer
06-04-2009, 11:49 PM
This is on my list of possible races for next spring along with the Flying Pig, Kentucky Derby Festival, and some other possible spring runs. It is one I will definitely do one day and if it turns into a big WISH meet I may just have to make May 8th that one day.

I have a friend that also runs and we do a lot of these together to save on money. We usually get together in December and do some planning. I should know closer to then.

twoWDWfools
06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
This is also on our to-do list but were thinking of the Flying Pig next year. Have to take a look at the schedules and see how it all fits together.

getnthinr
06-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Pat's such a great salesperson -- and this one is far enough out that even I can budget it, so I'm in -- registered for the race and reserved the hotel. Jump on the WISH wagon! :cool1:

MouseDogMom
06-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Jump on the WISH wagon! :cool1:

I'm poised to jump... we're just trying to figure out if we can budget enough for airfare or if we can actually make that drive. I'm more than 50/50 at this point though. Right now my race calendar tentatively includes Richmond Full, Disney Half, Myrtle Beach Half, and Indy. Guess I should buy a lottery ticket?

Jackie

Tiger Lily 03
06-07-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm definitely in on this one! I've been hoping to get to do this but that weekend has always been planned. Finally the date is free so I'm there.

Maherae
06-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Hotel: BOOKED
Race Registration: COMPLETED

See ya there, WISHers!!:cool1:

Frank, you've met the group..come on down!! The race officials may even put the speed check radar on YOU as you go around the raceway!! :rotfl:

Jackie, Haven't seen you in sooooo looooonnnggggg..:flower3: Hoping the budget holds good things!!

:goodvibes Anne
:car: :car: :car: :car: :car:

MaryJ
06-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I just did this one last month! Did it with DH and my son-in-law. Haven't decided if I'm up to another one or there or not. Running on the speedway was fun, but I really enjoyed the half at WDW more. I'll talk with DH and see what he thinks before I commit again.

FireDancer
06-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I think I am going to at least reserve a room for this since it is already hard to get rooms that weekend without paying Poly prices. Have you guys checked out the times from 2009, they are really fast!

Pungodingy
06-10-2009, 05:07 PM
anyone have a link?

WDWFAN9
06-10-2009, 05:56 PM
anyone have a link?

Ok, I am a total non-techie type person, so I hope this works....

http://www.500festival.com/marathon/

Search under mini-marathon. So far all of us have registered at the Hilton through the race site link. The $103 per night is only available for Friday and Saturday nights I think, and is an amazing rate.

Hope to see you there!!

Oh and don't worry about pace, the 4 hr timelimit starts when the last person crosses the start line, but......it is a flat and wide course, perfect for those speed demons among us!

FireDancer
06-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I called the Hilton and to get the special price you have to go through the sales department. If anyone calls the Hilton ((317) 972-0600) don't ask for reservations, ask for Jonathon Malendzes (sp) in the sales department.

I left him a message. As long as there is a refund if I cancel in a reasonable amount of time I am going to book Friday and Saturday night today.

twoWDWfools
06-11-2009, 12:06 PM
You can book the room right thru the web site, too.

Cancellation Policy:
Cancels after 03/17/2010 will be charged a $25 cancellation fee. Cancels after 04/21/2010 will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. Cancels after 04/28/10 may be charged a cancel fee by the hotel.

FireDancer
06-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I have a room reserved at the Hilton. I was trying to book it through the Hilton site but you have to use the link on the travel page of the mini marathon site. I have until next March to opt out but as long as it doesn't interfere with something else and I don't get injured I'm sure I'll see you there.

I assume there will be another Nashville-style WISH meet:confused3

WDWFAN9
06-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I have a room reserved at the Hilton. I was trying to book it through the Hilton site but you have to use the link on the travel page of the mini marathon site. I have until next March to opt out but as long as it doesn't interfere with something else and I don't get injured I'm sure I'll see you there.

I assume there will be another Nashville-style WISH meet:confused3

Awesome news!! And yes, there will definitely be a WISH meet. There are at least two pasta places within walking distance of the Hilton.....Bucca de Bepo and Old Spaghetti Factory.

Come on, who else wants to join the fun? If you register at the Hilton request a room near the WISH Racing Team!! Hopefully we can all get rooms on the same floor.

MouseDogMom
06-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Halfway there... once Frank mentioned that you have until March to opt out of the hotel, I went ahead and booked a room at the Hilton so that part is done. (Of course, I forgot to request to be near the WISH block, but I figure I can always call them closer to race time and add that part...)

Now I have to commit to the race registration!

Jackie

Tiger Lily 03
06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Great news. Glad that the group is growing!

escape
06-16-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm not "officially" in but I have made room reservations at the Hilton. We had so much fun in Nashville! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again!

AmyBWV99
06-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Soooooo tempted, this was my first 1/2 in 2008 and so much fun.

Thinking.......the only thing standing in the way is the potential of DH doing Peachtree.

WDWFAN9
06-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Looks like we are going to be a great group in Indy!!

dislvr74
06-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I can recommend the Crowne Plaza at Historic Union Station. It is only about a 3 block walk to the convention center and the corrals U-Z. It is VERY reasonably priced for a downtown Indy hotel.

I've done the last two mini-marathons and had a blast. I think you need to be prepared for the crowds. The first year it took us 22 minutes to get to the start line and this year it took 45 minutes (we start in V) because some construction caused the street to narrow just before the start line. If you are towards the back of the pack like I am, you probably aren't going to set a PR, but you never know what could happen!

Oh, they have a lot of water/gaterade stations. Many more than the other events I have run.

MaryJ
06-19-2009, 05:43 PM
I can recommend the Crowne Plaza at Historic Union Station. It is only about a 3 block walk to the convention center and the corrals U-Z. It is VERY reasonably priced for a downtown Indy hotel.

I've done the last two mini-marathons and had a blast. I think you need to be prepared for the crowds. The first year it took us 22 minutes to get to the start line and this year it took 45 minutes (we start in V) because some construction caused the street to narrow just before the start line. If you are towards the back of the pack like I am, you probably aren't going to set a PR, but you never know what could happen!

Oh, they have a lot of water/gaterade stations. Many more than the other events I have run.

I was behind you in corral Y. My son-in-law on the other hand was in corral A. He was probably close to mile marker 5 before I even crossed the start line! :lmao:

AmyBWV99
06-19-2009, 09:24 PM
That sounds like DH and I. He was in A I was what felt like 45 blocks away in S.

FireDancer
06-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Do you guys know when this race sold out last year? It appears that it reached capacity at some point. I have my room reserved and want to make sure to sign up for the race before it sells out. I was going to decide in the late fall or early winter but if the race sells out sooner I will just sign up sooner.

Thanks

WDWFAN9
06-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Do you guys know when this race sold out last year? It appears that it reached capacity at some point. I have my room reserved and want to make sure to sign up for the race before it sells out. I was going to decide in the late fall or early winter but if the race sells out sooner I will just sign up sooner.

Thanks

Hi Frank,

This past year it sold out in late Dec, in the couple years before that it sold out in November. The race is reasonably priced (especially when compared to RnR and Disney) but who knows how the economy might affect people's decisions.

I really hope you can make it. I've done 19 half marathons and this one by far has the most entertainment!

kareneast
07-01-2009, 01:27 PM
John & I will be there. :cool1:We're all registered & booked at the Hilton. :thumbsup2

Looks like we'll have a nice group there.... :banana::banana::banana:

Tiger Lily 03
07-01-2009, 07:35 PM
This will be fun with a WISH Team presence! It is always fun to play at events with our WISH Team members.

getnthinr
07-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Halfway there... once Frank mentioned that you have until March to opt out of the hotel, I went ahead and booked a room at the Hilton so that part is done. (Of course, I forgot to request to be near the WISH block, but I figure I can always call them closer to race time and add that part...)

I did the same thing -- forgot to request WISH. I'm counting on being able to call and add that closer to the date.

WDWFAN9
08-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Bumping in the hopes that more WISHers will be able to join us in Indy. It is a fabulous time!!

mousemgr2
08-08-2009, 12:51 PM
You're a great sales person, Pat! Count 2 more of us in for this one. Cathy and I will be there. Registration and hotel reservations have been made. Plans to do the Flying Pig have been moved to another year. :banana:

I am looking forward to doing this one. I remember your medal from 2008. It was awesome!

WDWFAN9
08-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Awesome! The more-the-merrier!

TEK224
08-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey Pat (or anyone else booked at the Hilton),

Embarrassed to say I'm feeling "Hotel Challenged" right now. Are you staying at the Hilton at 120 W. Market or the Hilton at 10 E. Market?

You can add me to the list. I'm now officially registered! It's going to be good karma for this race to. My bib number is 7110. My boyfriend's birthdate (rest his soul) was 7/11.

Terri

kareneast
08-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey Pat (or anyone else booked at the Hilton),

Embarrassed to say I'm feeling "Hotel Challenged" right now. Are you staying at the Hilton at 120 W. Market or the Hilton at 10 E. Market?

You can add me to the list. I'm now officially registered! It's going to be good karma for this race to. My bib number is 7110. My boyfriend's birthdate (rest his soul) was 7/11.

Terri

It is the one at 120 West Market Street.

Yay!!!! on registering!!!:thumbsup2

kareneast
08-08-2009, 07:19 PM
You're a great sales person, Pat! Count 2 more of us in for this one. Cathy and I will be there. Registration and hotel reservations have been made. Plans to do the Flying Pig have been moved to another year. :banana:

I am looking forward to doing this one. I remember your medal from 2008. It was awesome!

Glad you guys are joining us!!!! :thumbsup2 Flying Pig is on my list to do at some point too.

WDWFAN9
08-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Our group is growing!! We are going to have a blast in Indy!!

Tiger Lily 03
08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Whooo hoo! It will be fun!

Pat you really are good at tempting all of us!

:cheer2:

Tiger Lily 03
10-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Here's hoping calendars will allow for more WISHers to participate with us.

WDWFAN9
10-24-2009, 11:09 AM
This is a great event! Jim and I had an awesome time when we did it in 2008. Come join the fun!!

queen mimi
10-24-2009, 07:03 PM
I've been thinking about it. Right now, I am trying to figure out how to fit in the Disney half in January, maybe the Princess in March and the Disneyland half in September. (DD and I want that coast to coast medal!) But, Indianapolis is so close and so flat!! And I am always looking for another neat medal! This would be my first half to walk by myself. So, I'm still trying to make up my mind.

Meg

WDWFAN9
10-24-2009, 07:10 PM
I've been thinking about it. Right now, I am trying to figure out how to fit in the Disney half in January, maybe the Princess in March and the Disneyland half in September. (DD and I want that coast to coast medal!) But, Indianapolis is so close and so flat!! And I am always looking for another neat medal! This would be my first half to walk by myself. So, I'm still trying to make up my mind.

Meg

But Meg - you wouldn't be by yourself - there will be other WISHers in Indy and lots of us are walkers, chances are someone will be at your pace for at least part of the half.

MaryJ
10-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Hmmm.....haven't thought about just walking it! I did this race this year after the WDW half, and walking/running it so soon was just too much! My time was terrible! I'll give this some careful consideration.

dislvr74
10-26-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm in!

WDWFAN9
10-26-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm in!

Awesome!!

Tiger Lily 03
10-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Hmmm.....haven't thought about just walking it! I did this race this year after the WDW half, and walking/running it so soon was just too much! My time was terrible! I'll give this some careful consideration.Oh boy! We'll get to see you again. Walking it could be a good way to stay loose so soon after your event. It should be fine on the knees that way. Nudge-nudge

dislvr74
10-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm doing the Illinois half marathon the week before the mini and my plan is to walk in Indy. It is such a walker-friendly event and so much fun!

crazydisneyman
11-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I live in Indy, and I am thinking about doing the Mini. I have never run before, except the Muddy Buddy last year, and I want to try to run/walk this one. I am starting my training now, so hopefully I will be ready.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I am interested. :thumbsup2

Maherae
11-21-2009, 12:02 PM
crazydisneyman..come on and join us!! You've got until November 30th for the cheap entry fee of $50!!

Hope to see ya there!

:goodvibes Anne

dislvr74
11-21-2009, 02:50 PM
sign up soon! The past several years the race has filled up right around Thanksgiving.

Mouse Skywalker
11-23-2009, 09:16 AM
I live in Indy, and I am thinking about doing the Mini. I have never run before, except the Muddy Buddy last year, and I want to try to run/walk this one. I am starting my training now, so hopefully I will be ready.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I am interested. :thumbsup2Glad you found the thread Chris - my Muddy Buddy friend. This is a great group of people here.

Everyone, Chris called me over the weekend about this race, and I recommended he check out the WISH training boards. I told him how you all pulled me through my training for my first marathon at Disney in 07.

Looks like some of my favorite WISHers are running this one.

FireDancer
11-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Looks like some of my favorite WISHers are running this one.

Does that mean you are going to join us Dave?

Mouse Skywalker
11-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Does that mean you are going to join us Dave?Not this year Frank. This race is on my radar screen because I have a lot of family in Indiana. However, I have some unfinished business with the Pittsburgh Marathon in May 2010.

FireDancer
11-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Not this year Frank. This race is on my radar screen because I have a lot of family in Indiana. However, I have some unfinished business with the Pittsburgh Marathon in May 2010.

I just saw your post on the Pittsburgh thread. That one is on my radar too. Anything close enough to drive is a must do at least once.

escape
11-23-2009, 12:25 PM
I guess I better hurry up and decide if I'm going to do this race. :scratchin

mousemgr2
11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
It sounds like it is going to be a fun event!! Cathy and I are registered for this one. I've really been looking forward to it and even more so now that my 'Goofy 2010' dreams have been squished. :-(

funwalker
11-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the Reminder: I will think about it-it fills up and registrations closes early. It is a fun race I did it May 6, 2006

funwalker
11-23-2009, 08:08 PM
I was going to book a room at the Hilton - that's where everyone is...Correct?
It did not come up as a hotel option on the Mini Marathon Web site?
Sooooooooo what did you guys do to make the reservations?

WDWFAN9
11-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I was going to book a room at the Hilton - that's where everyone is...Correct?
It did not come up as a hotel option on the Mini Marathon Web site?
Sooooooooo what did you guys do to make the reservations?

Ok - I found my Indy folder and looked it up. The reservations are at the Hilton at 120 West Market Street. I followed the link on the race website.
We are going to have a great time, and the more the merrier.

FireDancer
11-24-2009, 07:52 AM
I am at the Sheraton Indianapolis City Center at 31 W. Ohio Street. I was at the Hilton but when I switched from two nights to just one it was cheaper to go over there.

Looking forward to a WISH meet like we had at Nashville last year.

Tiger Lily 03
11-24-2009, 08:34 PM
If you're thinking about it. Step in. The registration cost increases on Tuesday 12/1.

queen mimi
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
I did it! I crawled off the couch (the flu!!) and went to the computer. Registered for the race. Nothing like waiting til the last minute. I will be a walker waaay at the back, but I will be there. Now, I have to crawl back up the steps again!

Meg

Tiger Lily 03
11-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Good for you registering! Feel better now.

I'll look forward to seeing you at the back.

FireDancer
12-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Just in case someone didn't get the newsletter I just got this (http://idevmail.americaneagle.com/message.aspx?d=35&m=779&r=1088607) via email.

MouseDogMom
12-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Of course I had to wait until AFTER the increase to get off the fence, but after I saw that it was 95% full last night, I finally stopped wavering. Not only did I register, but DH and DD registered as well. As soon as I told DD that she got a free ticket to a practice day at Indy, she was in. The 5K tempted her, but that lap around the track was the clincher. Never mind that she's never run more than 3 miles before... but she IS taking jogging as her PE elective next semester, and I assured her that there will be plenty of WISHers if she has to walk. She'll probably finish ahead of all of us. :lmao:

Jackie

getnthinr
12-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Just in case someone didn't get the newsletter I just got this (http://idevmail.americaneagle.com/message.aspx?d=35&m=779&r=1088607) via email.

Thanks for sharing that! So cool that they are celebrating the 100th anniversary of the speedway this year and we'll be part of it!

CapeCodRob
12-08-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm in! Looking forward seeing all of you in Indy next May.

Now to start making plans for the Coast to Coast 2010.....

dislvr74
12-08-2009, 01:06 PM
As soon as I told DD that she got a free ticket to a practice day at Indy, she was in.

Just don't tell her that a practice tickets only costs $5-10. ;)

For those of you who don't know, I am a HUGE IndyCar/Indy 500 fan. If you have any questions about the speedway or the weekend events, please don't hesitate to ask. This will be my third year running the mini and I usually spend every weekend in Indy in May for practice/qualifying/the race.

Jackie, I wish I was sticking around on Sunday for practice. I would be happy to loan your DD my garage pass for the day, but I have to leave right after the mini this year. The pass (it's called a bronze badge) is only $100 for garage access during the entire month, but that's a lot to pay for only one day.

MouseDogMom
12-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Just don't tell her that a practice tickets only costs $5-10. ;)

We'll keep that a secret. Actually, I think she's more excited about the lap around the track than anything else. Today she was already trying to decide how to carry her camera. We're probably going to buy her a Spibelt for Christmas or her birthday. Since she's not a runner, she has no fuel belt, none of the "stuff" that we all carry things in, and it's senseless to spend a lot of money buying her a lot since this will probably be her one and only half marathon. She's much more the 5k personality!

I broke the news to my boss today that I'll probably need an extra day off work - we were planning to drive home on Sunday, but will probably wait until Monday now. I've already used most of my 2010 vacation and the year hasn't even begun!

Jackie

mousemgr2
12-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I broke the news to my boss today that I'll probably need an extra day off work - we were planning to drive home on Sunday, but will probably wait until Monday now. I've already used most of my 2010 vacation and the year hasn't even begun!

Jackie,

I could have written that myself. I keep finding other things to do and thus keep adding days to that trip. I am planning on squeezing in a visit to the zoo there. I hear it is really nice.

I am looking forward to this race!

Susan

dislvr74
12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Jackie,
I hear you on the vacation time! I am fortunate to work for a university with very generous vacation benifits. Unfortunetly, there are times when I am just not allowed to be on vacation. Fortunetly for me, the month of May is a pretty good time to be out of the office!

The lap around the speedway can be pretty brutal. For me, it is my favorite part of the race, but also the toughest. I have no idea why. Maybe because you can see how big it is and it just seems like you are in there forever? Maybe someone else can explain it! By the way, it took me over 32 minutes to complete one lap. An IndyCar can complete a lap in something like 39 seconds.

I have a belt that I used to carry my sports beans and camera. I took my camera out just before the speedway and then carried it until I left the speedway. I didn't use it again. The rest of the course is, um, not very exciting. I'll post some of my pictures later.

Susan, the zoo is wonderful and, if you have children, so is the children's museum. People travel from all over for the museum. You should also consider checking out the speedway museum. It is very interesting even if you aren't a race fan. In the past they have had an exhibit about the mini in addition to all of the race stuff.

dislvr74
12-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Some pictures from last year:

Approaching the speedway

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o82/mhazen/2009halfmarathons013.jpg

Entering the speedway

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o82/mhazen/2009halfmarathons014.jpg

On the track

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o82/mhazen/2009halfmarathons019.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o82/mhazen/2009halfmarathons023.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o82/mhazen/2009halfmarathons024.jpg

I think I have better pictures from 2008. I'll have to see if I can dig those up somewhere.

Tiger Lily 03
12-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Oh the pics have me really psyched! Thank you for sharing these! My DH will be totally jealous since he is only able to enjoy finding me at the finish lines.

Jackie, I use a WDW waist pack as my running pack. I have my camera in a case that strings through the waist belt. My water bottle if I only take one slips on the waist belt also. Inside the pack are my gus, IPod, body glide, tylenol, lip gloss, and whatever else I decide but that's pretty much it. It's a cheap pack and works fine, maybe not "stylin" but oh well. It's me.

mousemgr2
12-09-2009, 08:17 PM
I love the logo for this years race!!! I am getting really excited about this one.

MaryJ
12-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Jackie,

The lap around the speedway can be pretty brutal. For me, it is my favorite part of the race, but also the toughest. I have no idea why. Maybe because you can see how big it is and it just seems like you are in there forever? Maybe someone else can explain it! By the way, it took me over 32 minutes to complete one lap. An IndyCar can complete a lap in something like 39 seconds.

Susan, the zoo is wonderful and, if you have children, so is the children's museum. People travel from all over for the museum. You should also consider checking out the speedway museum. It is very interesting even if you aren't a race fan. In the past they have had an exhibit about the mini in addition to all of the race stuff.

DH and I both hit the wall on the speedway last year. I still remember putting my leg up against the wall trying to stretch my hamstring there! I did stop to pat the bricks at the starting line when I crossed. For those who aren't into racing, the strip of bricks are all that is left of the original speedway, hench the nickname, The Brickyard. I saw many people kissing the bricks, but all I could think was yuck! We're not planning to do the race this year, but if we go up to watch our son-in-law (he finished in the top 500 last year) I will cheer for my WISH friends.

Let me second the recommendation for the Children's Museum. It is the largest Children's Museum in the country, and well worth the time for a visit if you have kids with you.

SoccerDogWithEars
12-14-2009, 05:25 PM
As soon as I told DD that she got a free ticket to a practice day at Indy, she was in. The 5K tempted her, but that lap around the track was the clincher. Never mind that she's never run more than 3 miles before... but she IS taking jogging as her PE elective next semester, and I assured her that there will be plenty of WISHers if she has to walk. She'll probably finish ahead of all of us. :lmao:

Jackie

I will smoke you turkeys. 5 points if you can name the movie Mom.

MouseDogMom
12-14-2009, 06:01 PM
I will smoke you turkeys. 5 points if you can name the movie Mom.

Blues Brothers 2000. Ha!

dislvr74
12-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Don't plan on seeing any actual track activity the weekend of the mini. :headache:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20091215/SPORTS0107/91215016/Indy-500-schedule-shrinks-by-one-week

MouseDogMom
12-15-2009, 12:45 PM
So I just convinced a sulky teenager to run 13.1 miles so we could watch a practice round that doesn't exist... :mad:

At least you found this BEFORE I called and extended our hotel reservation, so I can be grateful that we'll be able to save money this way. It's a good thing, right? :confused3 How dare they?

That lap around the track better be worth it - she's already planning to kiss the bricks - so between that and the tour of the speedway, maybe she won't pout from now until next Christmas! And now we'll have time to do the Children's Museum too... :)

Jackie

dislvr74
12-15-2009, 01:48 PM
It sucks for the fans, but the teams and drivers are pretty excited about it. All of their twitter messages have been very happy. (Tell DD to follow Marco on twitter if she isn't already. She can hear all about his workouts and dining plans. He doesn't post much in the off season, but it would have been really easy to stalk-I mean "run into"-him during the season.)

Hey, it's a good excuse to take your time during the speedway lap so that she can spend as much time there as possible!

Tickets are on sale for the 500. hint, hint

escape
12-18-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm sad to say, I didn't get in. I went to register this week and *poof* it has filled up. I have a room at the Hampton Inn where the WISHers are staying. If anyone wants it, let me know.

FireDancer
12-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Sorry to hear about that Susie. Maybe some slots will open up when the charity groups turn in their actual registration numbers.

I wasn't planning on seeing any racing so the announcement has not effect on me but it is unfortunate for those that wanted to take in some racing. Not having to get all of the runners out to get the track ready might be better for the back of the packers though.

dislvr74
12-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Susie,
They allow number transfers, so keep an eye out for someone looking to sell their number. There were several posts on the Runners World forum last year from injured runners looking to get rid of their number.

SoccerDogWithEars
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
So I just convinced a sulky teenager to run 13.1 miles so we could watch a practice round that doesn't exist... :mad:

At least you found this BEFORE I called and extended our hotel reservation, so I can be grateful that we'll be able to save money this way. It's a good thing, right? :confused3 How dare they?

That lap around the track better be worth it - she's already planning to kiss the bricks - so between that and the tour of the speedway, maybe she won't pout from now until next Christmas! And now we'll have time to do the Children's Museum too... :)

Jackie

As if I would cross over the bricks and NOT kiss them :snooty: Isn't that, like, sacrilege?? It would be like going to Orlando without setting foot in Disney.

And it depends....I'm still mad. And I still think we should just go back the next week. OOOORRRRRR you could get me a pit pass for Richmond. That might make me feel better. And I could wear my fancy-shmancy albeit pinky shoes and run a bit and just PRETEND I was at Indy. I mean, as long as I see Marco, I'm good :love:

For the record, I am actually excited about this. I want to be able to put a 13.1 sticker on Herbert. And I like running. And Indy. And Disney. So to run on the speedway with Disney people...sounds good to me.
Hey, do you know how hard it is to type with the puppies all over you?

dislvr74
12-18-2009, 11:30 AM
OOOORRRRRR you could get me a pit pass for Richmond.

um, IndyCar isn't racing at Richmond this year.

Did I mention that Indy 500 tickets are on sale? Skip qualifying and go to the main event!

MouseDogMom
12-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey, do you know how hard it is to type with the puppies all over you?
Yeah, actually, I do. I do it every night.

um, IndyCar isn't racing at Richmond this year.

Did I mention that Indy 500 tickets are on sale? Skip qualifying and go to the main event!

Obviously, I need to pay more attention to the schedule. :confused3 What, we miss a year and they decide they don't need to come back?

And you must have me confused with someone who has unlimited funds. I can either run the Mini, or come for the race. Now I know what SoccerDogWithEars will vote for, but I've already paid for 3 race registrations. I don't think Susie wants to buy all of them! Somehow 2 trips to Indy in 3 weeks just doesn't fit into the travel plans, and if I tell my boss I need another vacation, the language will NOT be pretty. :sad2:

Jackie

dislvr74
12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
I was pretty surprised to see Richmond dropped from the schedule. I hope we go back there someday because it is a lot of fun to see the cars on such a short oval.

You really just need to move to Indiana so that you don't have these cost and vacation time issues! :)

SoccerDogWithEars
12-19-2009, 06:40 PM
You really just need to move to Indiana so that you don't have these cost and vacation time issues! :)

I like this idea. Plus, I can win Miss Indiana, and I'll get to ride in the Indy parade. Yep, I vote for this.

SoccerDogWithEars
01-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Ok, so I would just like to say that my training officially starts today. I'm running today. Because I have to, but that's beside the point. Yay for signing up for jogging!!! But I just wanted to share this accomplishment. Especially since I have a migraine that's TRYING to flare up. But I'm going to run. Because I'm going to run this half-marathon thing that will apparently have NO perks (mutters under breath about practice sessions). And I will do it. Because, well, if my middle-aged parents can do Goofy, I can do this. And probably beat Mom's time :-P

MouseDogMom
01-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Ok, so I would just like to say that my training officially starts today. I'm running today. Because I have to, but that's beside the point. Yay for signing up for jogging!!! But I just wanted to share this accomplishment. Especially since I have a migraine that's TRYING to flare up. But I'm going to run. Because I'm going to run this half-marathon thing that will apparently have NO perks (mutters under breath about practice sessions). And I will do it. Because, well, if my middle-aged parents can do Goofy, I can do this. And probably beat Mom's time :-P

I don't know who you're referring to. There are no middle-aged parents here. :rolleyes1

dislvr74
01-19-2010, 09:57 AM

You and Marco will be in the same town at least! Be sure to follow him on Twitter. I knew where he was eating dinner, shopping, working out, etc basically every day in May! You might be able to accidently run into him.

SoccerDogWithEars
01-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Ok, I'm officially following him on Twitter now. And can I just say that I'm sore? I hate that I have a class before and after jogging, so my schedule basically goes "sit and get stiff" "jog" "grab a smoothie (I'm getting spoiled by these things)" "sit and get stiff". I wonder if my computer professor would think I'm crazy if I got up in the middle of class and started stretching.....

getnthinr
01-27-2010, 04:58 AM
OK, bought my plane tickets. (Hope it was a decent fare -- I've been watching for weeks and it looks like I got about the best deal I'm gonna get.) Got my hotel room. That's about as committed as I can get.

I'm excited about trying a new race. Hope to enjoy the company of a lot of WiSHers there. :banana::banana::banana:

TEK224
01-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Yeah Wendy! Glad you can make it!

Terri

MaryJ
01-27-2010, 09:23 AM
My husband just got in. Our son-in-law found someone at work that was wanting to sell their entry. He paid a bit more for it, but now he will be able to run. He didn't realize how early we entered last year. I am going to be on the sidelines helping my DD with her two DD's as they cheer for their dad and "papaw," but I will try to wear my WISH shirt so that I can cheer for all of you as well! :cheer2:

MouseDogMom
01-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah Wendy! Now it's real! We're - UGH - driving. Just can't afford to fly 3 of us that far. At least we'll be anxious to run when we get there! :lmao:

Hey dislvr74, are you gonna coordinate dinner for all of us since you're the expert here?

Jackie

SoccerDogWithEars
01-27-2010, 10:11 AM
I like driving. It's fun to see all the new places, and we've never been this way before. No South of the Border signs though :sad1: Though now that I think about it, with dad driving.....:scared:

I'm in for the dinner. And MouseDogMom's right, you are the expert. All in favor of nominating dislvr74 as official coordinator :wave:

FireDancer
01-27-2010, 10:19 AM
I was just thinking that it was about this time last year we started coordinating the CMM dinner. I'm assuming we will be doing another Italian dinner the night before the event.

I'm driving in since it is only about a 5 hour trip for me.

dislvr74
01-27-2010, 03:54 PM
All in favor of nominating dislvr74 as official coordinator

I wish I could, but I won't be arriving until at least 8:30pm. It's only a two hour drive, but I lose an hour going east and I can't leave until after work. Usually I can take the afternoon off, but I have a major committee meeting that I have to attend. (Thank goodness my parents can get my stuff at the expo.) I'm heading back home right after the race.

I take a lot of time off in May in order to spend as much time as possible at IMS, so I can't really justify staying any longer for the mini.

MouseDogMom
01-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I wish I could, but I won't be arriving until at least 8:30pm. It's only a two hour drive, but I lose an hour going east and I can't leave until after work. Usually I can take the afternoon off, but I have a major committee meeting that I have to attend. (Thank goodness my parents can get my stuff at the expo.) I'm heading back home right after the race.

I take a lot of time off in May in order to spend as much time as possible at IMS, so I can't really justify staying any longer for the mini.

You know, I'm beginning to think you don't like us. Oh... I forgot... we haven't met yet. You don't stay anywhere long enough for us to meet! ;)

Jackie

getnthinr
01-28-2010, 05:24 AM
Man, Jackie, if I'd known you were driving, I'd have pitched my stuff in your car and shared the gas! <LOL>

As my tickets are non-refundable, I'm stuck with flying (and you're spared squeezing one more into the car :laughing:). Looking forward to seeing you and your family there, though!

FireDancer
01-28-2010, 08:18 AM
What does everyone think about The Old Spaghetti Factory (http://www.osf.com/locations/menu-by-locations.htm#Indiana) for the pre-race meal? It is two blocks from the expo and it worked out alright for Nashville?

dislvr74
01-28-2010, 08:28 AM
You know, I'm beginning to think you don't like us. Oh... I forgot... we haven't met yet. You don't stay anywhere long enough for us to meet!

I know. It is one of the many disadvantages to having a husband who works nights with very few vacation days per year. I can sign up for a ton of races, but I always arrive the night before and leave the night after. I'm doing five half marathons in 7 months and I think the only expo I will actually make it to is the one for the Illinois half. The only reason I can make it to that one is because it is about 5 blocks from my office!

I have dreams of real race vacations once my girls are old enough to either stay home by themselves or cheer me on during the race by themselves.

MouseDogMom
01-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Frank - I'm game. Looked at their menu and it has all my family's favorites. (Although I'm sure DD will have her own say shortly. :) Far be it from me to speak for her.)

dislvr - I have to admit, it's really nice now that we can plan things on our own without worrying about schedules. And as of Jan 1st, 2011 I actually get 4 weeks of vacation. If only they'd give me a paycheck large enough to fund the races that I could do with those 4 weeks!

Wendy - We have to coordinate better next time. Although that many hours in the car with our family might have sent you screaming to the side of the road... :scared1: I think we're planning to leave Thursday and spend the night somewhere along the way. Depending on DD's exam schedule, we might be able to leave Wednesday, but that would mean more hotel nights. I'm not looking forward to the drive, but hope maybe we'll have enough time that we can stop along the way. I've done that trip once (when I was 12!) but DH and DD never have.

Jackie

SoccerDogWithEars
01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
I only have one exam on Wednesday, and it's from 11:00-1:30, but they never take the full amount of time. And I still have to figure out how to do all this because basically I'm gonna have to be moved out before we leave. Maybe I'll just take everything home and sleep in a sleeping bag the last couple of days. Have to sell my textbooks early too.

*Firedancer* (I'm assuming you're Frank)-I haven't had a chance to look at the menu yet, but I love Italian. Don't believe what my mom tells you.
P.S. ARSENAL RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO GUNNERS!!!!!!!!

WDWFAN9
01-28-2010, 05:57 PM
What does everyone thing about The Old Spaghetti Factory (http://www.osf.com/locations/menu-by-locations.htm#Indiana) for the pre-race meal? It is two blocks from the expo and it worked out alright for Nashville?

I thought OSF was very accommodating when our WISH group ate there in Nashville, no hassles with requesting separate checks, and reasonably priced. It would work for us.

CapeCodRob
02-03-2010, 01:49 AM
OSF sounds great! Used to be one of my favorite restaurants back when I was in college and haven't been to one in years. Looking forward to meeting all of you. Need to book airfare out to Indy soon. Just finished booking tickets down to Orlando for the Princess Half. A group of my friends are doing the Coast to Coast this year and since I couldn't go to WDW in January, will do Princess this year (and hope I'm not the only guy running).

deleckidesign
02-06-2010, 10:15 PM
DH and I are in! This is our first half :) My step-mom has done this one 3-4 times and LOVES it!

Would love to get a WISH shirt before then!

queen mimi
02-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Just got back from a few weeks down south so back to the Disboards. I am trying to find a place to stay for the Friday night before the race. Wish I had done it earlier, but it slipped to the bottom of the "to do" list. Now, I am paying premium price to stay downtown. Hopefully, I will book later today. Did the Donald in January. Now I am back to training for the Princess half marathon in March. A foot and a half of snow on the ground doesn't help!

Meg

dislvr74
02-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Meg, have you tried the Crowne Plaza at Union Station? I got a pretty good rate their by booking through the Mini website. It is only a couple of blocks from the expo and start/finish line. We stayed there last year and really liked it. It was a much better deal than the Westin or Marriot.

dislvr74
02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Is it May yet?

http://www.youtube.com/500Festival#p/a/f/2/Cl1kiW1BX0w

FireDancer
02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Just got back from a few weeks down south so back to the Disboards. I am trying to find a place to stay for the Friday night before the race. Wish I had done it earlier, but it slipped to the bottom of the "to do" list. Now, I am paying premium price to stay downtown. Hopefully, I will book later today. Did the Donald in January. Now I am back to training for the Princess half marathon in March. A foot and a half of snow on the ground doesn't help!

Meg

Try calling the convention center and not the hotels directly. They had the best price when I called in Sept to change my reservation from two nights to one.

TEK224
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Count me in for dinner at OSF. As of now, I think I'm driving to Indy. I'll arrive on Thursday and will probably start heading home late Saturday afternoon. If I can find a reasonable airfare and flight times, I will fly instead. But so far, no good rates and no good flight times.

Is there a thread listing where people are staying? I know many are staying at the Hilton. I actually have a res. at the Hilton and the Embassy Suites. I booked the Hilton, but couldn't get the Thursday night. Could only get Fri. & Sat. I was able to get all 3 nights at the Embassy. Are any WISH-ers staying at the Embassy Suites?

Terri

Tiger Lily 03
02-10-2010, 08:31 PM
OSF Sounds like a great idea! DH and I would love to go!
We're staying at Hilton.

WDWFAN9
02-10-2010, 09:02 PM
I had to go look it up, we booked so long ago! Jim and I are staying at the Hilton also.

kareneast
02-11-2010, 01:07 PM
OSF sounds good to John & I. Add us to the list of those staying at the Hilton.

SoccerDogWithEars
02-11-2010, 01:40 PM
dislvr-That video made me want to move to Indianapolis right now. I could totally win the festival pageant. And then I'd get to ride in the parade, and I could "accidentally" forget where the float was and end up with the drivers.

I would just like to go on the record and say that anyone who says Greenville, NC is flat has very obviously never run it. I'll admit, we lack big hills good for sledding. But there are plenty of short, steep ones, that make your calves start burning and you start wondering where the bleep the hill came from. I think my jogging professor deliberately finds hilly routes.

dislvr74
02-11-2010, 01:51 PM
You have a jogging professor? That's pretty cool. IN is super flat compared to what you are used to.

The 500 Festival princesses do quite a bit with the drivers. They also pass out water at the last water stop at the mini, so you'll have an opportunity to size up the competition! All you have to do is transfer to an IN college. I'm sure your parents wouldn't mind that at all. ;)

SoccerDogWithEars
02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
ECU requires everyone to take an hour credit's worth of an exercise class. Jogging was offered, so I signed up for that. We do about 2 1/2 miles every Tuesday and Thursday.

Hey Mom, I'm gonna transfer. We like the Hoosiers right?

queen mimi
02-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Finally booked my room. Got a good rate ("senior"!!) at the Hyatt Regency. Oh well, at least there is something good about getting old! Now, if I could only figure out a way to get the snow to stop. We got 9 more inches today. Another snowstorm is on the was this weekend. Does shoveling snow equal doing 10 miles?

Meg

SoccerDogWithEars
02-18-2010, 11:18 AM
So somehow today my professor conned me into jogging the entire class. Well, it really only worked for the first half. But I jogged the entire way up Charles Blvd, up to our football stadium, and then.....up the handicapped ramps to the very top of "Mt Greenville", aka Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium. And I was able to do it. Coming back down, well, that was another story. First of all, I got Blood, Sweat & Tears' "Spinning Wheel" stuck in my head. Which wasn't too bad, since I like that song, but mildly annoying. The downhill played murder on my feet though. If your stride goes like this: / __ \, my ankle was hurting on the \ part. Or well, more the Achilles tendon area, as Mom and I have decided. So I ended up walking most of the way back, but still finished the 2 3/4 mile loop in 40 mins...........I felt a lot better about that until I typed it.

MouseDogMom
02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
So I ended up walking most of the way back, but still finished the 2 3/4 mile loop in 40 mins...........I felt a lot better about that until I typed it.

Gee, would that be, no it couldn't be... that's not even a 13 minute mile. :rotfl2:

Mom :hug:

taz4disney
02-18-2010, 06:53 PM
With Indy being our home town, give a shout if there is anything we can do to help out.

dislvr74
03-18-2010, 08:53 PM
My Indy 500 tickets are here! What does that have to do with the mini? Almost nothing, but I'm still excited.

SoccerDogWithEars, I was thinking of you when Moraes decided to park his car on Marco's head! That was a bad one.

MouseDogMom
03-19-2010, 09:16 AM
SoccerDogWithEars, I was thinking of you when Moraes decided to park his car on Marco's head! That was a bad one.

Fortunately for her, we forgot to watch the race live, and she'd already gone back to school when I watched the recording. I warned her before she saw the video. I can't repeat here what she said about Moraes. :rolleyes1

The season can only improve from that, right?

After Sunday, training officially begins for the Mini. Unless, of course, I talk myself into doing another half in April!

Jackie

Tiger Lily 03
03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
With Indy being our home town, give a shout if there is anything we can do to help out.Thank you!

...After Sunday, training officially begins for the Mini. Unless, of course, I talk myself into doing another half in April!

Jackieand what the heck is this half on Sunday representing? No training! :scared1:

SoccerDogWithEars
03-19-2010, 05:12 PM
My Indy 500 tickets are here! What does that have to do with the mini? Almost nothing, but I'm still excited.

Psssh, I don't care if it's unrelated to the mini. I'm excited for you too. Wish I could say the same thing.

And Moraes is an idiot. I found the video on youtube, and pretty much texted my mom the same thing. Though there may have been a few other adjectives in front of idiot. Ugh. Marco kinda took a dig at him too in an interview. But hey, AGR got a second place finish and Danica finished not to well. It wasn't a total waste of a race. :-)

MouseDogMom
03-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Thank you!

and what the heck is this half on Sunday representing? No training! :scared1:

Yep, this half represented no training! At least officially... Let's see what I can do if I train! Let the training begin. 46 days to go.

Jackie

dislvr74
03-23-2010, 06:49 PM
At least the race was interesting! I'm hoping St. Pete is also good, but boy am I ready for some oval racing!

What times did all of you put down when you registered? Hopefully some of us will be in the same corral. I put down 2:45, as I have done the last two years even though my PR is 2:53 (someday I will get to the 2:40s!). That put me in V in 2008 and U in 2009. I don't have any WISH gear, but I'll be looking for those of you who do!

MouseDogMom
03-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I put 2:40 for all three of us, even though at the time my PR was 2:49. DH has run a 1:56, and we don't know what DD can do yet! Waiting for her comment...

Jackie

dislvr74
03-23-2010, 08:45 PM
We might be in the same corral. My mom is usually one behind me and I think she enters 3:15 as her time.

WISH TV (ha, that's funny) covers the race. Here's the start from last year: http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/500_festival/mini_marathon/2009_Mini_Marathon_5. It took us about 45 minutes to get to the start line because of the construction that caused the start to be quite narrow. The previous year we made it to the start in about 25 minutes.

MouseDogMom
04-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Just bumping us up... 32 days till race day! Hope it's cooler then than it is today.

Jackie

FireDancer
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
I guess it is about that time to start thinking about the dinner reservations. For those that are interested in dinner is there a preference for time? I was thinking either 6:00 or 7:00 at the Old Spaghetti Factory on S. Meridian. Google Walking directions are here (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=100+South+Capitol+Avenue,+Indianapolis,+IN+4 6225-1003+%28Indiana+Convention+Center+%26+Lucas+Oil+St adium%29&daddr=210+South+Meridian+Street,+Indianapolis,+IN+ 46225-1019+%28Old+Spaghetti+Factory%29&geocode=FdTFXgIdbkTd-iklUMkdu1BriDFKCJt2-HSzrA%3BFXi_XgIdbFTd-iEXED1DqjzNPilTiS_MvFBriDHmGgWtdmQOaw&hl=en&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=39.760845,-86.161945&sspn=0.01026,0.022724&ie=UTF8&ll=39.765748,-86.159334&spn=0.00513,0.011362&t=h&z=17) and it looks like about a 6 minute walk from the expo.

Either respond to the thread that you are in or PM me and I will ask Pat to add the people who want to meet for dinner on the first post. I called OSF and they aren't taking reservations that day but they open at 5 so I can make sure to be there a bit ahead of our party and put our name in.

We'll make it 6:00. I'll be there at 5:00 when it opens if anyone wants to join me in waiting.

Replies so far

Firedancer (Frank)
MouseDogMom (Jackie) (+2)
Tiger Lily 03 (Lily) (+1 (Ted))
WDWFAN9 (+1)
kareneast (Karen)
Space Ranger (John)
TEK224 (terii)
Maherae (Anne) (+2 (Robert and Barb))
CapeCodRob (Rob)
getnthinr (Wendy)

MouseDogMom
04-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Frank - Thanks for coordinating dinner. 6:00 is my preference, but we're flexible. There will be 3 of us (DH, DD19, and me). Really looking forward to it - we had a great time at the WISH dinner for Tobacco Road last month. Can't wait to see/meet everyone!

Jackie

Tiger Lily 03
04-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm thinking the earlier choice would work better for me and DH. Figuring by the time we get seated and fed it will be late.

It worked quite well when we all met in Nashville at the opening time (4:30-ish). By the time we got seated and meals, we were able to get back to hotel for a decent pre-event nap.

WDWFAN9
04-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Jim and I are in....no time preference, although 6PM rather than at opening might be better for late arriving WISHers. We are driving in and plan to get to Indy around 1PM.

kareneast
04-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Count John (Space Ranger) & I in. We're good with any time, but would prefer earlier rather than later. Thanks for coordinating Frank!

TEK224
04-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Count me in. It is Friday night for dinner, right? Any time works for me.
I'll be arriving Thursday night.

Is anyone still looking for a room at the Hilton? I have a room booked checking in May 7th (Fri.) and out May 9th (Sun.). I won't be using that room. I couldn't get a room checking in Thursday night (5/6) at the Hilton, so I'm booked at the Embassy Suites for Thurs., Fri. & Sat. night.

I forgot to cancel the room and now there's a cancellation fee. Before I do that, thought I'd see if anyone was still looking and I could switch the reservation into their name. The rate is $143/nt + tax.

Let me know if anyone is interested. Feel free to pm me.

Terri

Tiger Lily 03
04-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Terri, hope you can get someone to take the room.

SoccerDogWithEars
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
So....my training is on hold. Because I think I pulled one of my quad muscles. The very top center of my thigh likes to suddenly spasm in pain when I move it a certain way. So I'm trying to take it easy, because I know some people *coughcoughMom* who have continued to train and then ended up seriously hurting themselves. And I would like to be able to cross this finish line without limping...too much.

dislvr74
04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm a big believer in KT tape. I use it on my ankle, peroneal tendon, achilles, and IT band. (I'm very pretty with all my pink tape.) There are instructions on their website (http://www.kttape.com) for taping a quad strain. This might help if you aren't 100% by race day. But, you are making the right choice to rest and wait. I really wish I had done that when I first got injured three years ago. If I had, I probably wouldn't need to be a walking advertisement for KT tape.

Tiger Lily 03
04-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Sorry to hear that you are dealing with a quad injury. Hope it heals and smart move to lay low!

Maherae
04-13-2010, 05:39 PM
DH and I would love to join in for dinner!

Terri, PM'd you about the room...

CapeCodRob
04-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Hey gang!

Looking forward to meeting all of you in a few weeks.

Would love to do dinner with the group at OSF.

Rob

TEK224
04-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Anne - PM'd you back.

Terri

WDWFAN9
04-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey gang!

Looking forward to meeting all of you in a few weeks.

Would love to do dinner with the group at OSF.

Rob

We are looking forward to meeting you too!

Our confirmation postcards came today, and the online confirmation booklet with race info is available at www.500festival.com

A picture of the medal was posted on FB, and it is also in the booklet.

MouseDogMom
04-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Question for those of you who've run it before... the booklet says the corral number is on the postcard, but I'm confused. :confused3 Am I missing something?

This is getting real!
Jackie

WDWFAN9
04-17-2010, 05:44 PM
We have numbers on our postcards, 3114 and 3115, and I am guessing that we'll find out our corral assignments when we get our bibs.

SoccerDogWithEars
04-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I RAN 10 MILES TODAY!!!!! AND I'M STILL ALIVE AND ALL PARTS OF ME ARE FUNCTIONING NORMALLY!!!!!

Sorry, just needed to share that information. We also discovered that I need to run 2:1 intervals in order to keep my ankle from hurting. And on a girly note, I have my running outfit picked out.

Maherae
04-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Yay on getting your long run in without injury!!

:goodvibes

mousemgr2
04-18-2010, 07:56 PM
The number on our postcards were 7094 and 70xx (can't remember the other number) :confused:

Love the medal!!

dislvr74
04-18-2010, 09:01 PM
My postcard isn't here yet. :confused3 Hopefully it gets here soon.

We also discovered that I need to run 2:1 intervals in order to keep my ankle from hurting.

That's the interval ratio I use and I love it. I'm hoping to finish in 2:36-2:40 at the IL half marathon. I suspect I'll be walking most of the Mini since it is only a week after IL.

I'm pretty excited about the medal. Frankly, I was kind of disappointed last year because the medal didn't really relate to the 500 Festival. If I'm going around IMS, I want a race car on my medal! :lmao:

Maherae
04-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Whoo hooo!! Got our postcards today!

The local TV station will be covering the event...WISH TV!! Seriously!!

:goodvibes

getnthinr
04-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Frank, count me in with the group for dinner too, please. Thanks for doing this!

I have been consumed with visits and forms and plans for getting my DDs (twins) off to their respective colleges and haven't been on the boards in... well, forever. There's the possibility I won't make it to the Mini, but currently the Budget Minder says I can still plan on going. :) I'm still training, but I won't be aiming for any PRs.

I'm at the Hilton on West Market St -- hoping that's the right one! I arrive at the airport at 11:30AM on Friday and leave at 4PM on Sunday.

See ya real soon!

WDWFAN9
04-21-2010, 06:46 AM
This is going to be a blast!!

FireDancer
04-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Looks like we will be having quite the gathering. I have 15 so far and have been updating post #133 of this thread. If you want to join us and don't see your name there let me know. I'll change it from screen names to real names when we are a week or so out.

How is everyone's training going. I have had a little let pain but nothing bad. I have a 10 Mile race this weekend and then softball starts to I can see a lot of ice in my future.

I went out to Walmart last week and found a garbage can that is deep enough for me to stand in and take an ice bath up past my knees. I wanted the smallest one that would do the job because filling a 50 gallon can would get expensive after a while. Let me tell you, if anyone wants to feel like a complete tool go to Walmart and start climbing into garbage cans as people look at you like you should be wearing a helmet and riding the bus with the flavored windows.

dislvr74
04-21-2010, 03:50 PM
My postcard finally arrived. I'm number 50XX (can't remember the last two numbers). That's pretty close to my number from last year, so I'm planning on corral U again.

getnthinr
04-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Let me tell you, if anyone wants to feel like a complete tool go to Walmart and start climbing into garbage cans as people look at you like you should be wearing a helmet and riding the bus with the flavored windows.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

What a "mental" image -- Pun intended!

SoccerDogWithEars
04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Guess what everyone.

16 DAYS TIL THE RACE!!!!!!

17 if you want to count today. But I just thought I'd post. Because I have to make it through exams first, and this is oddly a bright spot in the future that is the end of the school year. Who knew I'd be WANTING to run 13.1 miles?:confused3

Tiger Lily 03
04-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Frank, I WISH I had a camera when you were shopping!

Postcard? There are postcards being mailed? Oh, I had our mail service here. I did not get one yet. We often don't get all of our mail. I hope someonelse didn't toss it.

taz4disney
04-23-2010, 09:14 PM
14 days and counting. With this being DS14 & DD12 first 1/2 we are trying to train smart and remember getting to the start line healthy is the first step to 'finishing' 13.1. My goal is not PR, but to show them how much fun it can be. We'll be the ones having fun at the back of the pack.:woohoo:

SoccerDogWithEars
04-25-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm pretty excited about the medal. Frankly, I was kind of disappointed last year because the medal didn't really relate to the 500 Festival. If I'm going around IMS, I want a race car on my medal! :lmao:

Soooo.............yeah I just now saw this post. But I totally agree, I would've been really mad if the medal didn't have an indy car on it. I may have to take a sharpie and write a 26 on mine.... :lovestruc

My thigh still hasn't healed completely, but as long as I keep it wrapped it doesn't bother me. So just look for the girl in ECU colors with an ace bandage on her right thigh. That'd be me.

13 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!:yay:

mousemgr2
04-25-2010, 08:49 PM
My postcard finally arrived. I'm number 50XX (can't remember the last two numbers). That's pretty close to my number from last year, so I'm planning on corral U again.

'U'??? WOW! I guess I can plan on being in the very last corral with a number in 7000's. Sounds like a few other WISH'ers have numbers in the 7000's so at least I will be in good company!

TEK224
04-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm in the 7000's, too, so I'll be at the back of the pack with ya!

Terri

FireDancer
04-25-2010, 09:44 PM
'U'??? WOW! I guess I can plan on being in the very last corral with a number in 7000's. Sounds like a few other WISH'ers have numbers in the 7000's so at least I will be in good company!

I don't think the numbers correlate directly to corral placement. I am a 7000 and had to submit a proof of time to get into corral 1, which I have an email that I am in. So, my 7000 is in the first corral. Either they messed up and will have to change me there or the numbers aren't directly related to the corrals.

MouseDogMom
04-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Our numbers are in the 35000 range. But we registered the very last week, so I'm assuming we got really high bib numbers as a result of that.

Jackie

dislvr74
04-26-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't think the numbers correlate directly to corral placement. I am a 7000 and had to submit a proof of time to get into corral 1, which I have an email that I am in. So, my 7000 is in the first corral. Either they messed up and will have to change me there or the numbers aren't directly related to the corrals.

Now that you mention it, I think you are right. I've always signed up around the same week in August and that's probably why my bib numbers are so similar. I don't think it has anything to do with corral assignments.

queen mimi
04-26-2010, 01:48 PM
I've been trying to keep up with my training since the princess in March. Even kept on training while doing a cruise to the Med and to Egypt! But, right now, have been laid low by gardening! I'm taking a few days off and icing these old arthritic knees to get them back to walking shape. Fortunately, the race is still a week and a half away! Let the weeds take over until after mother's day! I will be waaayy at the back of the pack. I am in corral y. So you all can start the celebration party without me as long as you keep it going until I get there!

TEK224
04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Is the corral letter listed on the postcard? I must be missing it, cause I don't see any letter, just my number.

Terri

WDWFAN9
04-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Is the corral letter listed on the postcard? I must be missing it, cause I don't see any letter, just my number.

Terri

Hi Terri,

Your corral letter will be on your bib when you get it. The number is issued in the order you registered for the race. Two years ago Jim and I were in corral X. Indy didn't do a staggered wave start like RnR - the start gun sounded and everyone just inched forward. I do have to say that everyone was very patient and inspite of the huge crowd it did not feel too crowded.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

mousemgr2
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
You can get your corral number from the race website now. The link is on the front page. Cathy and I have bib #'s 7094 and 7095. We are in corral V.

MouseDogMom
04-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks Susan!

We have bib numbers 38445-38447. We're all in corral S.

Now it suddenly seems very real!

Jackie

SoccerDogWithEars
04-27-2010, 09:41 PM
S for....oh, wait, I guess you're not supposed to say your last name on a public website huh?

Has anyone on here heard of Tiger Balm? My dance teacher recommended it for my thigh muscle, she said hard core dancers use it. I've never heard of it though, I didn't know if it was possibly a runner thing too.

FireDancer
04-27-2010, 09:53 PM
I checked and they do have me in A so I guess the numbers are assigned by registration and not pace.

TEK224
04-27-2010, 11:34 PM
SoccerDog- my sister uses TigerBalm. She says it really helps her muscles feel better.

Terri

TEK224
04-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Just checked - I am in corral X.

Terri

kareneast
04-28-2010, 01:02 PM
John & I are in corral S.

WDWFAN9
04-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Jim and I are in corral V.

dislvr74
04-28-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm in S, but my mom is in X. I usually start with her, but I might have to ditch her in order to start a little earlier. My dad has to watch my girls during the race and I'm sure he would appreciate it me finishing as soon as possible!

MouseDogMom
04-29-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm in S, but my mom is in X. I usually start with her, but I might have to ditch her in order to start a little earlier. My dad has to watch my girls during the race and I'm sure he would appreciate it me finishing as soon as possible!

Ditch her. (Sorry, mom :guilty:) Start with us in S!

Jackie

dislvr74
04-29-2010, 01:22 PM

Jackie

We could actually meet! I'm sure I'll be in S. Are you going to be wearing a WISH shirt to identify yourself?

SoccerDogWithEars
04-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Jackie

I second this!!!! I'm pretty sure Mom will be wearing a WISH shirt (which she just verified through text). I'll be in a weird purplish color tank top and black and gold shorts. Look for the two of us together. We'll probably be bickering playfully. But you definitely need to start with us so I can finally meet my Indy buddy....in INDY!!!

Terri-thanks for the input. Still need to run by CVS and pick some up.

9 DAYS!!!!!!! SINGLE DIGIT DANCE!!!!!!

:cool1::banana::yay::dance3::cheer2:

dislvr74
04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
I'll probably be wearing something boring like a gray t-shirt and my black running skirt. I will have much of my left leg covered in pink KT tape. :lmao:

The corrals aren't too huge, so I'm sure I'll find you.

getnthinr
04-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Corral X, 4485. Wonder if I'll start the same day as the rest of you? :laughing:

MouseDogMom
04-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Corral X, 4485. Wonder if I'll start the same day as the rest of you? :laughing:

You'll probably PASS half of us before we get to the track, knowing you! :thumbsup2

I second this!!!! I'm pretty sure Mom will be wearing a WISH shirt (which she just verified through text). I'll be in a weird purplish color tank top and black and gold shorts. Look for the two of us together. We'll probably be bickering playfully. But you definitely need to start with us so I can finally meet my Indy buddy....in INDY!!!

Terri-thanks for the input. Still need to run by CVS and pick some up.

9 DAYS!!!!!!! SINGLE DIGIT DANCE!!!!!!

:cool1::banana::yay::dance3::cheer2:

I'll probably be wearing something boring like a gray t-shirt and my black running skirt. I will have much of my left leg covered in pink KT tape. :lmao:

The corrals aren't too huge, so I'm sure I'll find you.

Let's see - purplish tank top, black & gold shorts, flourescent yellow WISH shirt, pink KT tape.... the rest of corral S may move far, far away. :rotfl2: Poor DH - oh, he usually wears an orange shirt too. There's absolutely no way you can miss us!

Karen - You and John should be able to find the multi-colored pack with no problem!

Jackie

SoccerDogWithEars
04-30-2010, 03:21 PM
We'll be like Skittles!!! It's a new WISH sub-team

dislvr74
05-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I just ran an absolutely terrible half marathon. It was so humid out here and I just couldn't breathe. I can't say that I'm looking forward to running another half in a week, but I am glad I get another shot at breaking my PR because I wasn't even near it today!

MouseDogMom
05-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Sorry your race didn't go well. I know you were counting on this one to be the good one! I've been watching the forecast, and it looks like it's not supposed to be too hot next Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe we can push through together and all end up with a good time!

Jackie

dislvr74
05-02-2010, 01:34 PM
It really wasn't that warm, but the humidity was over 90%. I think that because it was cool, I wasn't worried enough about hydration. This race doesn't have as many water stops as Disney and they don't offer gaterade at most of the stops. If I had been properly prepared, I would have carried some gaterade with me and I would have been fine. Oh well, lesson learned.

Are you planning to run 2/walk 1? I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I think I could keep that up until the speedway, but after that I might need to go to 1/1 until the end.

SoScary'09
05-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Even though I won't be running, this thread caught my eye since I'm an Indy resident^_^ Good luck everyone!!~<3

WDWFAN9
05-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Even though I won't be running, this thread caught my eye since I'm an Indy resident^_^ Good luck everyone!!~<3

Thanks. DH and I had so much fun doing the race in 2008 that we are repeating a state. Keeping my fingers crossed for great weather!

MouseDogMom
05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
It really wasn't that warm, but the humidity was over 90%. I think that because it was cool, I wasn't worried enough about hydration. This race doesn't have as many water stops as Disney and they don't offer gaterade at most of the stops. If I had been properly prepared, I would have carried some gaterade with me and I would have been fine. Oh well, lesson learned.

Are you planning to run 2/walk 1? I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I think I could keep that up until the speedway, but after that I might need to go to 1/1 until the end.

I've been doing R3/W1, but when DD/SoccerDog and I ran a couple of weeks ago, R2/W1 really worked well for her, so we agreed to do that for Indy. Of course, anything could change on race day. She hasn't run in real heat or humidity, and even though the forecast doesn't look bad yet, we could still get humidity and need to drop to R1/W1 too.

I usually start hydrating really heavily a couple of days before a race, but it's always hard to remember to drink when it's not warm. And yeah, each race is another lesson learned!

Jackie

SoccerDogWithEars
05-02-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm hydrating now!!! I told Jessie to constantly make me drink water. Thank goodness for Crystal Light lemonade mixes.

But yeah, as Mom said we've been doing R2/W1 because of my ankle, but I suffer no delusions of keeping that up the entire race. Be really awesome if I could, but I operate off of the "set the bar low-ish, be surprised when you pass it" mentality.

Tiger Lily 03
05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I did not receive a postcard. Darn mail. But anyway, I'm in S. The excitement builds! I'm really looking forward to having a mini WISH meet.

dislvr74
05-03-2010, 11:19 AM
I have a wardrobe update - I'll be wearing my new Illinois marathon shirt. It is purplish blue color.

I'm excited to finally meet some WISH folks!

FireDancer
05-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm really looking forward to having a mini WISH meet.

Speaking of which, is there anyone who wants to join us that isn't on the list I have on post 133 (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36133784&postcount=133)? If so let me know and I'll see you all sometimes between 5 and 6 on Friday.

SoccerDogWithEars
05-03-2010, 02:05 PM
I have a wardrobe update - I'll be wearing my new Illinois marathon shirt. It is purplish blue color.

I'm excited to finally meet some WISH folks!

We will definitely need to take a picture of all our colorful selves. We can title it "the WISH Skittles of corral S." :rotfl:

Is anyone else totally psyched about the race!!! Maybe I'm just excited because it's the first time I'll ever be in that part of the country, and it's the racing capital of the U.S. (I don't care what anyone else says, NASCAR doesn't count), and I'm doing my first half-marathon!!!!!!! :yay:

Yeah I have no idea where that energy came from. Wait, could be the chocolate pop-tarts and Gatorade I'm having for breakfast.

5 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!

dislvr74
05-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Can any of the Indy locals tell us if the construction is still blocking part of the start line area? That created quite the bottleneck last year. Just curious if we should expect that again this year.

Tiger Lily 03
05-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks Frank for the Google directions and for organizing us for dinner. Can't wait!

I've just got to gather whatever I'm wearing now. Weather checking daily.

WDWFAN9
05-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I can't wait!!

Maherae
05-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Whooo hoooo, a WISH gathering!! :woohoo:

Frank, I think you should add 1 more to my group for dinner. So that would be Maherae +2. My cousin, Barb, will be joining us for her first ever half.

SoccerDogWithEars, you are going to have a BLAST!

We'll be supporting all of the group from the back!

SoccerDogWithEars
05-05-2010, 06:34 AM
WE LEAVE FOR INDY TODAY!!!!!

This will be one of the only times you will see me up this early willingly. The only other time I will be out of bed before the clock hits double digits is, well, for Disney.

Plans for today: move my car so I don't have far to walk, load all my crap that I still have left, sell back my textbooks (and hopefully make more than 7 bucks like last semester), get my room checked, take my astronomy exam, and turn in my keys. Slightly sad to be leaving:guilty: I'm officially done with Freshman year. Wow.

Anyway, then I'll drive the hour and a half to Raleigh, unload some of said crap, be attacked by two crazy dogs who will have missed me like crazy, reload crap into...the Suzuki, I'm guessing:headache:, then HIT THE ROAD!!!!

Boy I'm already hyper and I haven't even had my Wheaties this morning. LET ME GET A HOOHAH FOR INDY MINI-MARATHON!!!!

Tiger Lily 03
05-05-2010, 06:51 AM
LET ME GET A HOOHAH FOR INDY MINI-MARATHON!!!!HOOHAH!
Have a great last day of Freshman year!
See you Friday!

MouseDogMom
05-05-2010, 07:27 AM

This will be one of the only times you will see me up this early willingly. The only other time I will be out of bed before the clock hits double digits is, well, for Disney.

Plans for today: move my car so I don't have far to walk, load all my crap that I still have left, sell back my textbooks (and hopefully make more than 7 bucks like last semester), get my room checked, take my astronomy exam, and turn in my keys. Slightly sad to be leaving:guilty: I'm officially done with Freshman year. Wow.

Anyway, then I'll drive the hour and a half to Raleigh, unload some of said crap, be attacked by two crazy dogs who will have missed me like crazy, reload crap into...the Suzuki, I'm guessing:headache:, then HIT THE ROAD!!!!

Boy I'm already hyper and I haven't even had my Wheaties this morning. LET ME GET A HOOHAH FOR INDY MINI-MARATHON!!!!

For anyone who wants a REALLY good laugh... talk about the biggest miscommunication of the century - we've been operating off of two different calendars all year. I've been planning to leave on THURSDAY, thinking her exam was Thursday. She's been planning to leave on Wednesday, since she knew her exam was Wednesday. :rotfl:

We're scrambling now to move our departure up at least a few hours from late tomorrow afternoon to at least first thing tomorrow morning, since I can't possibly see how I can leave tonight, but talk about a crazy day!

Fortunately, I had asked for tomorrow off, but had planned to work most of the day since I didn't think she would be home until mid-afternoon.

Jackie

getnthinr
05-06-2010, 06:57 PM
As the old song, Leaving on a Jet Plane, goes. "My bags are packed," but I'm not sure I'm ready to go. I have no-showed 5 races since completing the Goofy -- some because of the tighter economy, some because of the crazy-busy schedule we've kept touring colleges with our twin HS Seniors, some because I let work encroach on my training. No more excuses!

I've got my boarding pass, camel back, racing clothes, shoes, and pink-striped hat, so I guess -- ready or not -- here I come! Leaving VERY early tomorrow and hope to see Frank early at the OSF, and everyone else shortly thereafter!

kareneast
05-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Safe travels everyone!!!! See you all tomorrow. Will keep an eye out for everyone at the expo in the afternoon and will definitely see everyone tomorrow night at OSF! :cool1:

dislvr74
05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
The weather forecast is looking scary.

"Breezy. Much cooler. Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of rain showers until midday. Highs in the mid 50s. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to around 40 mph."

40 mph wind gusts!!!!!!

FireDancer
05-09-2010, 10:57 PM
The weather definitely wasn't great. It was amazing how much it changed from Friday to Saturday. You could get sunburn one day and wind burn the next.

I did a report on the 8th/9th Kudos thread.

getnthinr
05-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Like Frank, I posted my race report on the 8th/9th Kudos thread here (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36617064&postcount=15). It was a fabulous race -- I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys big races. (The course was pretty crowded the entire way -- and I'm a way-back-of-the-packer. Quite a contrast from the many races I do where I can't even see the person in front of me.)