PDA

View Full Version : Should we go or cancel

Ears
06-03-2009, 01:37 PM
:sad1:We have a trip booked for the beginning of Oct. and we just found out my DH will be losing his job around the end of the year. GM dealership. The money is already saved up and in a savings account waiting. The thing is we could cancel and get our deposit back but would lose all the $ on the airfare which is $900. What would you do?

starrynyt
06-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Ears,

I am so sorry to hear about DHs job! I wish I had some advice but I don't. Can you cancel the tickets, for a fee, but be able to use them at another time? That way it only costs a fraction of the $900?

Tabatha
06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
:confused3

I think that it is a decison that only you can make. I would base my opinion on
the job market in your area - how quickly will he be able to find something else?
your personal finances - how long will you be able to survive without his income

good luck in whatever you decide

danceintherain
06-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Have you called and talked to the airline?
They'll probably at least give you a credit for the unused tickets that you'll have to use within a year, which could be useful if you have to relocate. (you may have to pay a fee, and still pay the difference between the ticket cost)
Also, if he does find a new job relatively quickly, then you can rebook with Disney at another time.

I would definitely look at the cost between losing the $900 for the tickets and how much extra it will cost to go on the trip. You might find that you need the money to survive later on, and a trip to Disney would seem at that point.

Ears
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I had thought of that also but if I'm not mistaken they still charge us for them now and to change the dates they will also charge us a change fee. Actually they are already paid for. I knew I should have waited. We just didn't think this whole GM thing would affect the dealerships and closings this much. We thought we were good after the dealership made it through the cuts a couple of weeks ago. I just keep thinking our kids are only young once and with a new job (hopefully) we won't be able to go for a long while. I'm tempted just to go. I just don't know.

natmurr
06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Is this a Disney trip? "Free" dining? Are you planning any other air travel within the next year i.e Thanksgiving, Christmas, family function? Do you have additional savings over and above the vacation money?

If you have an additional savings, if the trip is free dining and if you are not needing to fly anywhere in the next year I would do the trip. I wouldn't spend a dime on extras and stay in the cheapest accomodations but I'd still go.

If however you're planning on flying somewhere for a family function or somewhere where you HAVE to be then I would not take the trip and use the credits for a future flight.

AndreaDM
06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I would go to Orlando because I would hate to be out the airfare, but I'd scale back my plans from Disney to staying somewhere off property with a nice pool (check vrbo) and doing inexpensive things like the beach and maybe one day at Busch Gardens, etc. If you get a condo or house you could make your meals there. Still do an evening or so at Downtown Disney for dinner or something.

stephie1012
06-03-2009, 01:58 PM
i say go..but stay in value (if not already) and try and cut back any extras..sorry to hear about your DH. My dh is a tech at a dealer (not GM) and im always worried.

xmlguy
06-03-2009, 02:03 PM
I would go to Orlando because I would hate to be out the airfare, but I'd scale back my plans from Disney to staying somewhere off property with a nice pool (check vrbo) and doing inexpensive things like the beach and maybe one day at Busch Gardens, etc. If you get a condo or house you could make your meals there. Still do an evening or so at Downtown Disney for dinner or something.

+1 :thumbsup2

Go, but scale back the plans to budget-minded options. You can get good rooms as low as $30/night at Extended Stay America Universal, or do PriceLine Bidding for 3* hotels.

Ears
06-03-2009, 02:04 PM
We are staying at POP with the free dining. Four the 4 of us with the airfare it's a total of about $2100 included in that is the airfare. I don't think staying off site we could do for that cheap. I had already planned on bringing breakfast foods for the one meal a day we don't get w/ the FD. Or doing a brunch and dinner.
We don't have any other places we would need the tickets for and we also have $ saved aside from the trip $ and will be getting a bit from a inheritance.
I will call the airline when I get home from work. If they will let us cancel w/o a huge fee. I think that will be the route we'll go. Then go when we are better situated. I'll let you all know.
Thank you everyone for your quick responses, the dis members are the best.

AndreaDM
06-03-2009, 02:09 PM
I didn't mean stay offsite and go to Disney, I just meant not making this a Disney trip at all. Staying offsite and exploring all the other free/cheap things Florida has to offer. Just a suggestion, good luck! :goodvibes Free dining is hard to turn down though!

DVCBELLE
06-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Since your husband will actually still be employed then - I would go ahead and take the trip. Hopefully he will find a new job by then.

I am not sure what the cancellation policy is at Disney but I would wait until the last minute to make my decision. If you get to the drop dead date to cancel and you aren't comfortable with going then cancel it.

Just remember - you don't want to be the lady on here who wasn't sure how she was going to feed her family but is in WDW right now....your airfare is sunk costs but the other $1300 is and could make the difference of an extra month of expenses.

wall*e2008
06-03-2009, 02:16 PM
It would depend how much money I have saved without the $1200 from the vacation, what are the chances that your DH and you could get a job, how the housing market is in your area if you need to relocate and how long you can live in your home with your savings.

TifffanyD
06-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Go - stay at POP, scale back your tickets to ONE park day. Use the rest of the days to visit other resorts, swim in the pool, and do "free" things. Take the monorail loop "inside" Epcot and such. The hotel is a little more but includes food for 4 people. Make all your ADR's at non-park restaurants. Since you have to pay tips, consider swapping to CS for some if it's an option.

Darcy03231
06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Go - stay at POP, scale back your tickets to ONE park day. Use the rest of the days to visit other resorts, swim in the pool, and do "free" things. Take the monorail loop "inside" Epcot and such. The hotel is a little more but includes food for 4 people. Make all your ADR's at non-park restaurants. Since you have to pay tips, consider swapping to CS for some if it's an option.

:thumbsup2 This is a really great idea. I know there was a thread about free/inexpensive things to do at WDW. One was a campfire/sing-a-long/movie at Fort Wilderness (I think).

Mrs.Reese
06-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Given the ever-detoriating job market, I would cancel if I was in the slightest way worried about the finances. I remember reading that it's taking the average worker somewhere around 180 days to find a new job. many people that lost their jobs are taking positions paying far less than their old ones just to get some work. Disney will be there next year.

It's good that you know well in advance that he is losing his job. You get time to prepare. I would cut back on my expenses now. They may say that he'll have a job till October but what's to prevent them from coming in next week and saying, "Sorry but it will be August now." Maybe you can save up enough to be able to pay for Disney.

Colleen27
06-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd go. Keep to a strict budget without a lot of extras that cost $$ and make sure your DH is on the ball about looking for work, but it sounds like you have some savings, you won't be completely tapped because of the trip, and he's got quite a bit of advance notice as far as finding new work. As you said, rescheduling for after he finds a new job might be very difficult (most of the jobs my DH has had don't allow employees to take vacation until they have at least a year in), so even if your airline is willing to let you have a credit for the tickets it is possible you won't be able to use it before it expires.

Personally, I'd economize like crazy, find every corner to cut in the budget, save every penny I find on the ground (well okay, I do all of that anyway), but I'd still take the trip.

mdsouth
06-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Did you buy your tickets directly on your own or were they purchased by Disney as part of your package?

Did you buy the travel insurance through Disney?

If you got your airfare tickets through Disney and have the travel insurance, then you can cancel the trip without penalty or loss of the airfare since your DH is losing his job. So, you might be in luck.

mskayjay
06-03-2009, 02:51 PM
GO!!!!!! If you need to change hotels and economize a bit then so be it but go go go go go!!!!!!!!

rockundergirl
06-03-2009, 02:56 PM
i would find out the last possible date that i could cancel, and on that day cancel if you hubby has not secured a new job. ( or you found another source of income for the family) Maybe even use it as motivation in the search. I hate to tell you to cancel your trip, but in the current economy i see people losing their houses over job loses... better safe thn sorry, and Disney will be around for a long time...

AnnaS
06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Even with decent savings in the bank, the money saved for this trip could be used for other bills.

If it was me, I would probably not go.

You know your financial situation -

StitchandPooh'sMom
06-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm so sorry about your DH's job. :sad2: I wouldn't make a decision yet. I'd wait until closer to the date to pay the package off (45 days before your trip). I'd be considering the following:

What does your DH plan to do after the end of the year? What are the prospects? Will you have to relocate? If he finds another job before the end of the year, what does that do to any severance or benefits he might get from GM?

Do you have an emergency fund? How many months can you survive on that money?

What happens to your health insurance at the end of the year? Is it covered by GM for awhile, or do you need to get private insurance or COBRA (likely WAY more money than you are paying now)?

Can you get a credit from the airlines? Will your DH be looking for a job outside your area where that credit might come in handy (if not for job hunting, then for house hunting if you decide to move)?

If you do have to move, how quickly can you sell your house? Can you afford to pay your mortgage (if you have one) plus pay for a place for your DH to live in the new area?

While your trip is relatively inexpensive for a Disney trip, the $1200 you haven't paid yet might make a mortgage payment or two or pay a month or two of health insurance. It depends on the state of your finances. You might be out $900 if you don't go, but you will be out $2100 if you do go. You will have a wonderful trip to show for it, but it won't pay the bills.

Best of luck in your decision and with your DH's job search.

PinkRhombus
06-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Do nothing at this point. Don't cancel, don't rent a condo...nothing.

When the time comes to cancel without penalty from Disney, if your husband does not have another job at that point, then call and get airline credit towards future flights.

That other $1100 could come in handy.

Are they giving incentives for those who stay until then? Don't even be tempted to stay for those. Not worth it. Find another job ASAP.

But something else....if he gets a new job, he's probably NOT going to have vacation time available...at least not paid vacation time.

tnd
06-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I guess I'll be the wet blanket here and say I'd probably cancel. You have advance notice that your husband is going to lose his job and you have a better opportunity for a lot of people in the same situation to save extra money now and prepare yourselves. See what you can do about the tickets, and plan to go in the future. I don't think I could enjoy vacation knowing that the money could be used for something else.

Obviously you know your own situation best, but if it were me, I would cancel.

Disneefun
06-03-2009, 03:16 PM
In this economy, and with it taking as long to find new jobs as it is, if I didn't have 6-12 months of expenses saved up, I'd cancel. And even if I had that much in savings, I'd probably still cancel. You can probably get a credit from the airline, but even if you can't that money is already gone from your budget. I'd rather take the loss that I know (the airfare) rather than incur additional looses from the rest of the trip. We all know that Disney trips frequently end up costing more than we budget. We say we can resist the extras and stip it down to the bone, but in practice that's not usually the case. You may come home with a bigger bill than you anticipate.

I'd say be grateful that you know the loss is coming, take these months to stash away as much cash as you can, pay down any debts that you can with any extra, sell stuff you don't need and pocket the money and get DH looking for new work right now. You have a cushion of time to get your house in order that a lot of people don't get. Use it. If things straighten out, you can always rebook your trip and go another time. Disney's not going anywhere. If things go way south, you'll be grateful that you have that $1200 in the bank, along with your inheritance. Yes, memories of Disney trips are priceless, but being able to stay in your home, eat, and meet all your other obligations is your first priority.

emh1129
06-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Do nothing at this point. Don't cancel, don't rent a condo...nothing.

When the time comes to cancel without penalty from Disney, if your husband does not have another job at that point, then call and get airline credit towards future flights.

I agree.

I'm sorry to hear of your DH's job loss. There is a lot of time between now and then, though, so hopefully something will come through for him.
Good luck!

trip
06-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm so sorry about your DH's job. :sad2: I wouldn't make a decision yet. I'd wait until closer to the date to pay the package off (45 days before your trip). I'd be considering the following:

What does your DH plan to do after the end of the year? What are the prospects? Will you have to relocate? If he finds another job before the end of the year, what does that do to any severance or benefits he might get from GM?

Do you have an emergency fund? How many months can you survive on that money?

What happens to your health insurance at the end of the year? Is it covered by GM for awhile, or do you need to get private insurance or COBRA (likely WAY more money than you are paying now)?

Can you get a credit from the airlines? Will your DH be looking for a job outside your area where that credit might come in handy (if not for job hunting, then for house hunting if you decide to move)?

If you do have to move, how quickly can you sell your house? Can you afford to pay your mortgage (if you have one) plus pay for a place for your DH to live in the new area?

While your trip is relatively inexpensive for a Disney trip, the $1200 you haven't paid yet might make a mortgage payment or two or pay a month or two of health insurance. It depends on the state of your finances. You might be out $900 if you don't go, but you will be out $2100 if you do go. You will have a wonderful trip to show for it, but it won't pay the bills.

Best of luck in your decision and with your DH's job search.

Lots of things to think about in the above post.

Knowing his job is going away makes planning easier - better than finding out on a friday afternoon not to come back on Monday.

Make sure you have an emergency fund of at least 8 months. If you have any credit card debt I'd get that paid off before a vacation. Start looking for a new job now.

Disney will always be there. :hug:

branv
06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm a little surprised that anyone on this board would tell you to go without knowing your financial situation beyond the impending job loss.

1) Do you have a savings reserve? How long will it last?
2) Do you have any outstanding debt?
3) Will there be any other money coming in (i.e. do you work?)

It would be one thing to tell someone who has a years worth of savings to not waste a $900 airfare, but if you have no to little savings, have massive credit card debt, overwhelming mortgage (or owe more than the house is worth if you have to sell it), medical expenses, and/or zero money coming in and no prospects, it's far better to lose the $900 that is already off the books than the extra $1000+ for your trip if that would cover part of your mortgage for a month.

What I can say is that I am very sorry for what your family is going through, and I am sending you the best hope ever that your husband will find a good job soon.

a1tinkfans
06-03-2009, 06:03 PM
:sad1:We have a trip booked for the beginning of Oct. and we just found out my DH will be losing his job around the end of the year. GM dealership. The money is already saved up and in a savings account waiting. The thing is we could cancel and get our deposit back but would lose all the $ on the airfare which is $900. What would you do?

:grouphug:
Wait, I am confused. Are you SURE you'll lose your airline $$.
Have you called and explained, Perhaps they can work something for you, future credit...partial refund, anything, trade it sell it transfer it, Anything???.

I am so sorry that you dh will be losing his job, personally I would NOT be taking a trip as the horizon for New jobs at the SAME pay rate is difficult and some have said very very difficult, so the $ would really come in handy ...especially if you do not have atleast 9 mos worth of $ saved up to already cover your bills.
Again, I am so sorry to hear your news and want to wish you and your family SUCCESS in the future!
let us know what you decide....

Again, best of luck!

christianweecare
06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
To the OP my DH is in the same boat as your DH. We took our last trip to WDW last Dec. fearing that the plant where he works would be shutting down. When we returned from our trip we got the bad news. Now we know that he will be out of work by the end of Aug. Fortunately for us our children are grown and it is just the two of us so it will be easier to cope. We had a planned trip to Vero & WDW this past May that we cancelled. We also had a Disney cruise booked for Sept. We cancelled that, as well. Since the first of the year we have paid off our lone credit card bill and have been socking away money in savings with each pay check trying to prepare. We have opted to put off all elective medical procedures for now so as not to run up any medical bills. Even with insurance you can end up with big bills to pay. We know that even with our attempts to prepare ourselves for the impending layoff it will still be a struggle.

DH & I have been visiting the World ever since our Disneymoon way back in 1975. We have raised 2 kids going to WDW and making wonderful memories. Since they have grown up we have had trips with our ever growing family and we have made wonderful empty nester trips, as well. We have lots and lots of memories. For now, we will have to put our trips on hold until a brighter day (which will come again at some point).

I can't advise you about what to do in your situation. Everyone's situation is different. I can only share with you that you are not alone. I pray for all that are struggling through these tough times. Life has it good times and bad. Hopefully, the tough times will not last too long.:hug:

kadesha
06-03-2009, 06:18 PM
If you have savings I'd go and scale back. Don't splurge on any extras, just go and have a good time!

runwad
06-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't go if it were me. Can you still sell airline tickets to others? I know some years ago a friend of mine put an add in the paper and sold her tickets she couldn't use, I have no idea if that is an option now. And if she doesn't have trip insurance, whats to stop her from getting it now since her trip isn't until Oct? I know I'll probably get flamed for that, but I'd not want to just lose my $900 and would be looking at every option...but I know nothing about trip insurance so no clue if this would be a viable option. Good luck OP its tough out there if you don't have the 8 mos living expenses, don't go.

sk!mom
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
What is the latest that you can cancel for a refund? If my DH was out of work, I wouldn't go. Even with losing the $900, you'll still save a good amount.

I would wait until the cancellation date, cut all non-essential spending between now and then, and hope and pray that DH got a new job before the trip. If he didn't we'd cancel.

Ears
06-03-2009, 07:16 PM
This has to be quick as I don't want the kids coming in here if we are able to go its still a surprise and if not they are none the wiser.
I work 1/2 time and can pick up as many hours as needed and make decent money. We have some savings and no CC card debt. We even have the $ saved for the trip that's separate from our savings. If I work full time and he collects unemployment we will be bringing home more $ than we do now.
I thought about the insurance but he doesn't qualify because he hasn't been at his job for more than 5 years. We went through this last year because of downsizing, but only jobless for 3 days.
I still haven't had a chance to call the airline but will tomorrow. If they will refund our tickets I'm going to cancel. If we can rebook at a later date good if not we'll live. My DH still wwants to go but I'm thinking otherwise.
To those of you in the same boat as us I'm praying for all of us. Everything happens for a reason right????? Thank you everyone for responding.

4 DZNY NUTZ
06-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I say...Go for it!!! My philosophy is, you only live once and have to have fun and enjoy life while you can...My parents died within 2 years of each other when I was a teenager and my brother passed away 9 years ago and last year my father in law had a stroke and made us realize that we have to enjoy everything while we can because we dont know when it will all be taken away....

good luck in your decision

tar heel
06-03-2009, 07:24 PM
For almost everyone on the Dis Boards who asks this question, my response (which I don't post) is "Have you lost your mind? Cancelling unnecessary spending is the first thing you do when you're unemployed, and vacation is certainly in that category." I think your situation may be different, however, if you can actually bring home MORE money by adjusting where it comes from. I think you need to make sure you really can go up to full-time and that you are willing to do it, then figure out what your insurance situation will be, childcare arrangements if you need that, etc.

NWOhioAngela
06-03-2009, 07:38 PM
I say...Go for it!!! My philosophy is, you only live once and have to have fun and enjoy life while you can...My parents died within 2 years of each other when I was a teenager and my brother passed away 9 years ago and last year my father in law had a stroke and made us realize that we have to enjoy everything while we can because we dont know when it will all be taken away....

I was going to post the same type of thing. Maybe scale back a bit, but go.

Good luck with your decision.

Kriii
06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd cancel until a new job was secured. WDW will always be there. What if dh finds another job before the end of the year and has to leave the current job early? He might not be able to get time off to take the trip anyways. What if for some reason you can't pick up the extra hours? What if unemployment runs out before a new job is secured? What if you need to relocate? Too many ifs in this situation to spend money on WDW. Ihope your dh finds a new and better job asap!

francie57
06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I can speak from experience on this subject. My husband was laid off from his job (25 plus years) and we had a trip planned for Disney. Not know the posters financial situation would be the deciding factor. We took the trip because it was a great way to get away from all the stress at home. We were in a position that financially we were not going to miss the money the trip cost. Thankfully my husband was back at work in exactly 4 mths and is now very happy at his new company - more so than the old company. I learned that when things look their darkest there is light at the end of the tunnel and, in our case, worked out even better than expected.

Kim in TN
06-03-2009, 08:32 PM
No real advice, just wanted to offer hugs. DH works for a GM dealership as well and we are still waiting word. So we understand the decisions! :hug:

61292cna
06-03-2009, 11:44 PM
:grouphug: you are in our thoughts & prayers!!! :grouphug:

Kim1964
06-04-2009, 05:26 AM
I'm sorry you're going through this.

FWIW, several years ago DH was downsized and I had a vacation planned. I didn't cancel it, but the whole time I was on the trip my stomach was in a knot and I really didn't enjoy myself because I felt like I was spending money that I shouldn't. We weren't in debt beyond our mortgage, but we didn't have a hefty savings account, either. I learned from that experience that I probably wouldn't do that again....I'd rather wait until income was restored and go on the trip without worrying about every dime.

sparkyboy
06-04-2009, 07:31 AM
No advice but just want you to know that I'm thinking of you and your family. Hugs and best wishes.:grouphug:

Tissa
06-04-2009, 07:41 AM
As others have said, it depends on your financial situation.

My friend's husband just lost his job as well but they are not only still going on their July trip but she planned a weekend SWW trip for her husband and son since he now had the time off. For them she was able to go full time at work, and they were financially secure with savings in the bank etc. and they live below their means. It's not a hardship to them. for me, yeah it would be, be but others plan ahead so a job loss isn't devastating.

robinb
06-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I agree with the posters who suggest that you wait until the last minute (45 days?) to see if your DH has another job lined up. If he doesn't, then I would cancel no matter what your savings or finances. It just doesn't make sense to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation when that money may be needed for living expenses next year.

Disney will be there when you are in a better place financially. The company and the CMs make magic for guests every single day and they will still be making magic on your next trip :grouphug:.

hsmamato2
06-04-2009, 08:45 AM
wow....I thought this was the BUDGET board folks....:confused:
Losing a job is losing a job- planning an expensive trip when you know you have no job is so short sighted...IMHO.
planning to rely on unemployment,extra hours scavenged,etc to me is not a sturdy plan. Now I completely understand WANTING to still go, I love this place too! But could OP really relax and enjoy,thinking about coming home to scramble for income to pay next months bills? B/c using emergency fund money will feel just like that,scrambling. It runs out,and unless OP knew DH had another job,she shouldn't go,for now.
I'd wait till the cut off date for all Disney plans,so you didn't get fees for canceling if you need to,and in the meanwhile research the job market to see what could happen there- U'd be very surprised if the airlines didn't work with you to change plans,for way less than $900.00-
If they don't and I had to use the plane tix,I'd fly down,and CAMP somewhere in FL (not FW<it's pricey) just to have some family/beach time that uses the tix we had. WDW will cost a lot over the plane fare,and we all know this......

Va-bear
06-04-2009, 09:34 AM

This one gets my vote.:thumbsup2 Especially important to stick to the one day tickets - you still get the free food - but can same quite a bit that way. My kids LOVED the pool and Pop and always say "why didnt we use the pool more?" But, I would change my vote if you find out he wont have a job thru the end of the year (to 'dont go'). Also, I'm assuming you work (or I would again change my vote to 'dont go') - if not can you go ahead and start some eveing/part time work now, instead of waiting until he's completely out of work? Hope things look up quickly.

Good luck and enjoy!:grouphug:

love2embellish
06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
I say go and have a good time especially since it is already paid for.

We considered changing/cancelling our plans too since my husband got laid off a few months ago and now has a new job (at a Delaership) but instead of loosing all $$$ we changed his tickets and bought my son and I plane tickets since he could not go with new job now. We leave in 3 weeks. I hate to go without him but I did not want to dissappoint my son and I have saved my vacation time to go. He iwll nto get vacation time for probably a year now.

bethy
06-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I think I would wait until I absolutely had to decide to avoid any cancellation fees and if my DH didn't have a good job lined up by then I would cancel. No question about it in my mind unless we had maybe 1-2 years' worth of living expenses saved up already.

The $900 is totally irrelevant IMO since it's a sunk cost.

My husband is blessed right now with really good job security but because of the economy we still decided to postpone a trip we had originally scheduled for next April - just so we can insulate ourselves a little bit with that extra money.

tlh0726
06-04-2009, 10:24 AM
First thing I would do is call the airline and see what there policy.
Second, I would not make any decisions until the last possible moment.

Right now you are the OMG what are we going to do mode. Do not make any rush decisions.

You said that you have funds already set aside to cover the trip. Therefore you do not need to come up with anything additional between now and then. You are staying at a value and the majority of your meals are covered

You have some time until things happen. Start cutting back on the things that you can really do without (eating out, stopping to buy coffee, extra cable channels, newspaper, etc) Making small changes now will not make it seem as drastic as when the time actually comes that you have no choice but to do so. See if you can add the additional hours to your job now so that you can put the additional money into your savings for later.

Personally if it was me (SAHM and my husband is self employed so there is no guarantee of his work) I would still take the trip. (we did so in March). We looked at it this way.

We would have lost the airfare money if we cancelled.
So we could either spend the additional $1500.00 it was going to cost to go ahead and go to Disney as planned or we could have waited and spent $1500 to drive somewhere (beach), get a hotel, purchase meals, etc..
We went to Disney and had a great time.

Did I worry about spending the money while I was there no. I packed snacks and took drink mixes for water each day. I pre-purchased little things to give to the kids so that they would not want everything they saw. They were allow to purchase one small souvenir at the end of the week.
We used the $200 gift card towards meals and shared as much as possible. When we made the decision to go, we also said that we would not be taking another vacation (only day trips, free things, etc) until next year.

We have cut back, (put things down on paper for one month, it is a real eye opener as to where you can actually save money), we also switched to the disney visa that all of our monthly bills get automatically charged to so that we can earn as many rewards as we can.

It was my husband that told me to start planning another trip. (taking our camper next time) He said that he works his butt off all year (sometimes 7 days a week for weeks on end), we deserve one week a year to just have fun.
It is all our 3 and 4 year old talk about since our return. Even the weeks that I have to adjust to cover a bill I do not regret still using the money to go. (we have money in savings that I refuse to touch until I have no choice) I look for deals on everything, if it is not on sale we do not get it. We may eat out once a month if that. Mothers day, fathers day, my and DH birthdays, etc. We opted to not receive gifts but to put that money in our vacation fund. The 4 year old found 2 pennies on a parking lot the other day, she said Look I found some money, I cannot wait to get home and put in our Disney Jar.

Good luck on your decision. It is a personal one that only you and your husband can answer.

SandrA9810
06-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I did a trip a few years ago to Ft wilderness without being able to get into the parks. We were supposed to spend one day in the waterpark and saved it for our last day... which happened to pour down rain. so we took a rain check to go back a few months later.

With the free dining. I would look into dining at the resorts. And there's plenty character dining outside the parks. And I wouldn't try to bring "extra snacks". Just share the meals, especially for breakfast. There's plenty of huge platter meals, and you get two drinks, so you can get a oj and milk or something. Plus buy at least one cup for sodas in the middle of the day (and you can use it at any resort).
We usually end up doing a lot of character dining on the TS, and end up with like 2 or 3 CS credits at the end of our trip.

There's tons of things to do at ft wilderness resort too. They have the campfire sing a long with chip and dale. A different movie every night. You can watch Wishes from one of the resorts, part of illuminations from the bridge by boardwalk.
And if you wanted to, go to one of the Halloween parties. You can get into the park at 4pm and get plenty of things done at the MK. So you can use your other 1 day ticket some place else. taking advantage of and EMH night.

You can go and definatly make it a lot cheaper than what you were planning on doing. The disney magic is every where. You don't have to be inside the park to have a bit of it.

sk!mom
06-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I work 1/2 time and can pick up as many hours as needed and make decent money.

Have you considered going ahead and increasing your job to full-time now? I would do that immediatly to really build that savings before DH lost the job. That way if he has to take a lesser job or is out of work for an extended period, you'll be more prepared. If he is able to find some type of job quickly, the extra savings might ease your mind about vacationing.

rewok
06-04-2009, 04:20 PM
With the additional info you provided, I would go. You are already doing a cheap trip by WDW standard (you might cut on park days to 1-2 only and plan fun by the pool like others said), you have savings in the banks, someone in the house who still has a lob and can increase to more hours if need be. I mean, this is not worse than many families with only one income, the difference is that you'll become the main provider in the house. You are not losing your only family income, which makes a big difference for me.

We had a related situation here: we are DINKs, and usually travel 2-3 times a year. A few months ago, while I wanted to book our all-inclusive beach vacation for the spring, my boyfriend was not so easy about that: his company is not going real well (proven right, they cut 7 out of 15 employees 3 weeks after that discussion), so we decided not to take that vacation. However, I really wanted our WDW trip this fall, so we had a sit-down and looked at the numbers. Our emergency fund is pretty large (enough to live 4 months with NO income at all), we live way below our means, and have little debt: a small mortgage and our one car will be payed off in 3 months. We can live on one salary no problem by cutting extras like vacation, restaurants, ... And that was not including unemployment. So we felt there was no reason to spend our saved vacation money of this pretty cheap trip. If something happens before that, I know we'll cut the rental car, days at Seaworld, ..., and will enjoy ourselves, knowing we can still pay all bills regardless.

As for the plane tickets, unless you booked with Southwest, you'll only get a credit for the ticket cost minus the change fee (up to 150$ each ticket). On Southwest, you'll get the full value as a credit, to be used within 1 year of original booking. They don't really care if you lose your job or something... :sad1:

KimDis
06-04-2009, 04:28 PM
I can't believe I'm typing this but self indulgent little 'ol me thinks you shouldn't do it. Now I'd wait until the last moment I could to cancel, but I think you should take the partial loss in the value of the airline tickets if he doesn't have a new job by then.

In January of 2008 I left my job. It took me months to find another. I have friends who left their jobs shortly after who are STILL looking for employment. The market is saturated with VERY qualified applicants.

I had savings and a very decent sized tax refund as well as the most generous and loving support one could imagine from my family. But the following Saturday I went out with some friends, spent less than $15 for dinner and a movie and I had NEVER in life been so painfully conscious of my spending. It was horrible. I'd hate for you to be in the happiest place on earth and stressed over every nickel and dime. It's just draining, trust me.

That said, be encouraged - I was blessed with an AMAZING job four months later. You WILL get through this! Stay strong! Best wishes and my prayers are with you and your family.

Ears
06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
I just emailed NWA, so we'll see where that gets us. If they are going to charge us $150 to make the changes. It won't be worth it, we only paid $159 total. From reading everyone posts it seems to be 50/50. For what we are paying to stay at POP with FD and park tickets. I don't think we'll save anything staying off site and paying for a car, food, hotel, and some sort of entertainment.
I have already picked up hours and we'll just have to save, save, save. We have also cancelled our gym memberships and cable.
we are going to wait things out, I think we have until Aug to cancel and we'll see where we are at with everything.
There is also talk about GM reversing their decision about this one dealership. But I think that's a long shot. We can always hope though.

PrincessSuzanne
06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
If I were you and in the shape you have said you are in, I would go ahead and take the trip. You may need it by then. I am figidety right now, as we leave tomorrow night, I NEED this vacation. It seems getting away from home can help make things better and gives you time away from life to refocus, or at least it does for me.

If you had a ton of debt and no way out, I would say no way, but you seem to be all set and with a plan, go relax and don't worry. Worrying makes your life shorter :thumbsup2

Suzanne

Chicago526
06-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I just emailed NWA, so we'll see where that gets us. If they are going to charge us $150 to make the changes. It won't be worth it, we only paid $159 total. From reading everyone posts it seems to be 50/50. For what we are paying to stay at POP with FD and park tickets. I don't think we'll save anything staying off site and paying for a car, food, hotel, and some sort of entertainment.
I have already picked up hours and we'll just have to save, save, save. We have also cancelled our gym memberships and cable.
we are going to wait things out, I think we have until Aug to cancel and we'll see where we are at with everything.
There is also talk about GM reversing their decision about this one dealership. But I think that's a long shot. We can always hope though.

I'm a TA, Northwest (soon to be Delta) will charge you the $150 per person. Now, what they do is subtract it from the value of your current tickets and the balance can then be applied to a future Northwest/Delta ticket within 12 months from the date you purchased the tickets. In your case, if they only cost $159, then really they are worth only $9 towards a future trip, hardly worth the effort. I've never heard of an airline waiving those fees for anything other than the death of a traveler.

In you case, I'd wait until the last possible minute to cancel without further penalties, something may turn around for you by then. If by then your DH doesn't have a job lined up and the dealership is still scheduled to be closed, I'd cancel the trip. There is just no way of knowing how long it will take to find another job. With luck, you'll be able to make it without spending your vacation fund and then once a new job is found, you can re-book immediately, since the vacation money will still be there.

mzlee
06-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Only you know your financial situation. If it was me I would probably go and scale back as much as possible because I would hate to throw $900 out the window. And since you said money has already been put aside for it go and have a great time.

vicb
06-04-2009, 10:07 PM
From one gm family to another.... you have my sympathy! :hug:

We have been living under this threatening cloud for 6 months or more now. We cancelled our big one week vacation to Arizona this past winter. It was a hard call but we felt better once we did (we had been putting off buying the airfare so we lost no money). We saved like crazy and got our cash fund built up, I got a part time job, paid off debt and over easter we took a last minute quicky trip (four days)to the space coast in Florida. We had found inexpensive airfare, used hotel reward points, sat on the beach and ate inexpensively. The only splurge was our tickets to the Kennedy Space Center, well worth it.

My point is you've got to continue to live your family life, a vacation was important to us but we took one we felt we could afford. If you feel you can afford it then do it, if you aren't sure then don't.

I do feel for you, the whole gm situation is painful !! Best wishes!! :goodvibes

Ears
06-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Here's the latest.
NWA is a no go, they will not refund our tickets.
DH job-- GM did not reconsider closing the dealership. They are looking at starting with another brand like toyota ect.. He's still looking for something else.
And the worst part is- My father-in-law passed away last week, unexpectantly. I said to DH we are going on this trip. It's been a horrible couple of years as far as losing loved ones. You never know, life is short and our kids will only be young once. My father-in-law loved to travel and if anything good has come out of his death he has allowed us to be able to do this trip with our kids. And not have to worry about spending our last dollar. Oh and he also left us with Buddy his dog, now I'm still not sure if that is good thing yet or not. The kids seem to think so. I really think he was ok with going, he was only 62 and we lost his wife last year and now they are together forever. He is happy once again.
Thanks again for all your suggestions and input, we are going and will make it all work out in the end.

StitchandPooh'sMom
06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
So sorry about your father-in-law. :hug: Enjoy your trip in his memory.

vicb
06-11-2009, 07:28 AM
So sorry about your father-in-law. :hug: Enjoy your trip in his memory.

I agree! :hug:

fkj2
06-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Bad news always seems to come in bunches. :hug:

Re the trip: Depending on the ages of your children, you can possibly consider the trip as "an early Christmas present," and plan on scaling back at the actual holiday. But, just to remind them, plan an evening, perhaps when you decorate the tree, for a special memory night and show videos, if you're able to record videos of the trip. That'll help refresh their memories of why Santa doesn't bring quite as many packages this year. (Or Hanukkah if that applies.) I remember as a kid that my mom took my brother and me on a road trip to visit my grandparents in Florida over the holiday. We went with people she worked with, so expenses were shared, and we knew Christmas wouldn't be quite that big since we'd be traveling. I wouldn't have traded that trip for anything because the following year (I think), we lost my grandmother to cancer.

Since NWA is not flexible, that'd be an outright $$ loss. Children can be understanding. You can still have some Christmas, but maybe just not as much. Perhaps you can pick up a few things to place under the tree at yard sales. The fortunate thing is that you're exploring your options early.

Best wishes to you.

thelionqueen
06-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Here's the latest.
DH job-- GM did not reconsider closing the dealership. They are looking at starting with another brand like toyota ect.. He's still looking for something else.
And the worst part is- My father-in-law passed away last week, unexpectantly. I said to DH we are going on this trip. It's been a horrible couple of years as far as losing loved ones. You never know, life is short and our kids will only be young once. My father-in-law loved to travel and if anything good has come out of his death he has allowed us to be able to do this trip with our kids. And not have to worry about spending our last dollar. Oh and he also left us with Buddy his dog, now I'm still not sure if that is good thing yet or not. The kids seem to think so. I really think he was ok with going, he was only 62 and we lost his wife last year and now they are together forever. He is happy once again.
Thanks again for all your suggestions and input, we are going and will make it all work out in the end.

First let me say that I am SO sorry for your loss!:hug:

Secondly, I read the entire thread to see what happened with you before posting. I was going to post this originally, but since your last post, even more so.

GO GO GO!!!!

The years that our children are small is so fleeting, and I am BLESSED I was able to enjoy every minute!

The free dining option is GREAT and a HUGE savings for you; I truly doubt you would ever get a less expensive trip to Disney.

The airline tickets are paid for and you have money set aside. DO NOT be afraid of what may or may not happen, take advantage of and enjoy TODAY!

Don't stress about DH's job or what is going to happen, just look forward to the trip, and know that it's the right decision.

And I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree, everything happens for a reason! If I cancelled trips or outings every time I had doubts about my career or future, I would STILL be at home, watching soap operas in my pajamas :lmao:

LIVE, LOVE & ENJOY your family and your trip!:thumbsup2

PrincessSuzanne
06-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Here's the latest.

So sorry to hear about your FIL, so you definitely need to go, because you don't know what life will bring next. My mom passed away 4 days prior to our first mother-daughter only Disney trip and that was really hard, besides she was only 60.

Dh adn I just got home last night from a Disney trip and it can really take away the stress and help the healing.

Suzanne