PDA

View Full Version : Whole Chicken Question

toledo13
06-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Hi everyone. I'm getting chicken 'pieces' (free range, organic) for REALLY cheap this evening from my sister. All of the pieces are bone in, skin on. How does one cook chicken pieces?? I've cooked a whole chicken in the oven... once... and I've cooked chicken breasts in a pan on the stove before...

I want to squeeze this chicken for all it's worth, and will want to make stock out of the bones to make soup (WHICH IS SOMETHING I TOO HAVE NEVER DONE SO ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT!!)

Any help would be fab! I posted this on the community board too, but since I'm trying to use the all of the chicken to death (so to speak...) I thought I'd post over here too.

THANKS!! :cool1:

bamor
06-03-2009, 07:15 AM
I have one awesome recipe I can share with you. The leftover chix is great, too. This is from Nigella Lawson's Forever Summer. It is super easy, takes 5 minutes to prep, just takes some time in the oven.

Slow Roasted Garlic and Lemon Chix

10 chix pieces
1 head of garlic, separated into unpeeled cloves
2 lemons, cut into eighths
3 tablespoons olive oil
10 tablespoons dry white wine
fresh thyme/black pepper
Preheat ove to 300 degrees. Put the chix into a roasting pan and add the garlic, lemon and thyme. Add the oil, use hands to mix all together, leaving chix skin side up.
Sprinkle the wine over and some pepper, too. Cover tightly with foil and cook at 300 for 2 hours. Then remove foil, turn oven to 400 degrees and cook the chix uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve it just as it is with the lemons and roasted garlic.
This is great with couscous or rice pilaf

smacky1
06-03-2009, 07:17 AM
If you like cooking on the grill, I like to just sprinkle with garlic salt and grill meduim indirect heat. It takes longer to cook on the bone but its really good this way. I just cooked a whole chicken on the grill using the beer can method and the whole chicken took about 2 hours at 350. It was good, but I didnt think the beer added much to it. You can also pre cook the chicken a little in the oven and finish it on the grill. Great for BBQ chicken.

smacky1
06-03-2009, 07:18 AM
I have one awesome recipe I can share with you. The leftover chix is great, too. This is from Nigella Lawson's Forever Summer. It is super easy, takes 5 minutes to prep, just takes some time in the oven.

Slow Roasted Garlic and Lemon Chix

10 chix pieces
1 head of garlic, separated into unpeeled cloves
2 lemons, cut into eighths
3 tablespoons olive oil
10 tablespoons dry white wine
fresh thyme/black pepper
Preheat ove to 300 degrees. Put the chix into a roasting pan and add the garlic, lemon and thyme. Add the oil, use hands to mix all together, leaving chix skin side up.
Sprinkle the wine over and some pepper, too. Cover tightly with foil and cook at 300 for 2 hours. Then remove foil, turn oven to 400 degrees and cook the chix uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve it just as it is with the lemons and roasted garlic.
This is great with couscous or rice pilaf

This sounds great! Im going to try it this weekend!

MSSANDRA
06-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Put the pieces in a large stock pot and simply cook till done. Remove the bone and skin and strain the broth. You have chicken for all sorts of dishes. Chicken salad, chicken noodles, chicken pot luck dishes, chicken soup.

This meat can also be frozen for later if needed.

one of our favorites:

Cooked chicken meat ( about 4 pieces)
1 bag dressing mix
2 cans cream of chicken or mushroom soup
2 eggs
enough of the chicken broth to moisten well.

Bake 350 30-45 minutes till golden brown

momejay
06-03-2009, 08:20 AM
I had a friend give me like 10 family packs of chicken wings at once. They were just at the expiration date, & he purchased for his store. He didn't want to sell them & I didn't want them to go to waste. I started boiling the wings. I had the stock from the boiling that I froze & used for soups & flavored rice. I then took the pre-cooked wings & set them in lazagna pans & made hot sauce, BBQ sauce & a honey sauce & poured the sauce over the wings. I then froze them in plastic bags with about 10 wings per bag. I took them out of freezer & threw on grill all summer. We had them with grilled veggies. They turned out just fine & I saved a lot of cash feeding my teenage son.
Chicken is very easy to cook. Throw in pan with a little garlic or onion powder. (or whatever spices you may like) Maybe a bit of chicken broth or just enough water to cover bottom of pan to make cleaning the pan easier. Bake at 350 until the juices run clear. Save juice to make stock or flavored rice. I usually boil bones & skin for more stock & feed barn cats whatever doesn't fit through a fine strainer. (so they leave my song brids alone! LOL!)

xmlguy
06-03-2009, 08:20 AM
The single best thing you can do for chicken is to learn how to use a brine solution.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/images/document/howto/ND01_ISBriningbasics.pdf

TiffanyK
06-03-2009, 08:26 AM
I like to use the crockpot for cooking chicken. Throw the pieces in with whatever seasonings you like. Add a bit of water or wine and let it cook.

Here's a recipe for Garlic Chicken with More Garlic (http://eatathomecooks.com/2009/05/garlic-chicken-with-more-garlic-in-the-crockpot.html). I used legs, but you could use whatever pieces you like. It's another crockpot recipe.

This is a great soup recipe. It has the terrible name of Virus Killing Soup (http://eatathomecooks.com/2009/02/virus-killing-soup.html) because it's great if you're fighting a cold. The stock by itself is wonderful. you could freeze it to use in other soups. It calls for a whole chicken, but you could use pieces.

PinkRhombus
06-03-2009, 09:10 AM
I love chicken! I always buy up the marked down cooked deli chickens at the grocery (giant ones for $2.99)

Bag it up the leftovers and freeze it.

Chicken Enchiladas, chicken and dumplings, quesadillas with cheese and chicken, shred all the chicken and stir in some bbq sauce (this freezes very well). Chicken tacos. Oodles of casseroles. Baked pastas.

stinkrbell
06-03-2009, 09:25 AM
This is good, cheap and easy. Place 1 whole chicken in the crock pot. Or 8 pieces. Sprinkle 1 pkg. dry chicken gravy over the top. Now, add 2 cans cream of chicken soup (do not add water in it just the soup.) Cook on low all day. Remove chicken, de-bone and shredd meat then place it back in the gravy. Serve over mashed potatoes.

stacy2197
06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I take meltedvbutter, parmasean cheese and garlic and mix it together and put it under the skin. Then with the leftovers I make chicken tacos or chicken pot pie which by the way is the only way I can get my son to eat a decent amount of vegtables.

CTdiznymom
06-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Here's a basic chicken and potatos recipe.

Place chicken pieces (washed and dried) in a large roasting pan. Quarter potatoes and place around and in between the chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Roast in the oven for about an hour at 350. Before serving, drain off any drippings, and place under the broiler for a minute to crisp up a bit.

disneymarie
06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I have used $3 meals web site for great budget recipes and Chicken tips.
Also the above recipe, substitue either Itialin dressing, or BBQ to cook in also.

I love left overs, I make chicken salad, Chick in the gravey with peas over bisquits.

Same gravy and chicken above over Dutch noddles.

Any pieces with Buffalo wing sauce flavor.

Lightly flour season spray with a pam or butter spray and bake.

Many times for the effort of precooking gives you quick making frozen dinners later too.