PDA

View Full Version : SSR First Choice for anyone?

culli
06-02-2009, 07:22 PM
I have read more and more threads about how great SSR is and wondering who has SSR as their first option when staying at WDW. Or is it a 2nd, 3rd.......etc option, as we can still love SSR but it might still not be the first choice. I want to see how many people have SSR as their bar none favorite and book that way!

I'mNoPrince
06-02-2009, 07:27 PM
As we own there we always book at the 11month mark.

Now we are moving around right now as we want to try all the DVC resorts but have stayed 2 times at SSR and really do like it.

I think the next time we do a trip with Family and need a 2bdrm we will try to get a THV and if we do will not be moving that anywhere.

So yes it was our Resort of choice not only for the great savings we got but also where we like to call Home.

culli
06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
In fairness I really love the place but it is my 4th option due to walking to the park options. My choices are:

1 BCV
2 BLT
3 BWV
4 SSR
5 VWL
6 OKW
7 AKV

No I book at SSR at 11 month than at 7 will try to switch. When kids get older and riding buses won't be so dramatic SSR will move up the list.

RoutemanDan
06-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I own SSR and VWL and have been alternating stays the last few times.

DVC Mike
06-02-2009, 07:51 PM
SSR is my 6th favorite DVC resort at WDW.

*KeepMovingForward*
06-02-2009, 07:57 PM
We like SSR just fine, its just that we like some of the other properties more. It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if we stay there though. :goodvibes

rascalmom
06-02-2009, 08:06 PM
We own at and love SSR. It will likely be our choice for most trips - we just find the atmosphere relaxing and peaceful, and enjoy the proximity to DTD.

Someday, if we can get availability at BLT, we would like to try booking there, as the Contemporary was always one of our favorite resorts.

We like OKW, but SSR holds an edge. We find the crowds at the pool at Stormalong Bay unappealing, and the clown pool puts me off. Maybe a winter visit at one of those resorts sometime.

SSR makes us happy :goodvibes

castleri
06-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I put down 2nd choice but that is really only if it is other than a studio. For studio reservations it is usually my first choice. OKW is my favorite for anything else. I own at OKW, SSR and BCV and usually end up using the BCV points at one of the other two.

Sammie
06-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Always our first choice. :thumbsup2

DiznyDi
06-02-2009, 09:28 PM
We own at our 2 favorite resorts and stay at one or the other, often doing a split stay so we can stay at both!

mom2rb
06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I put it as my first choice, but I always do split stays. My next trip will be at BLT and SSR. My trip next May will be split between AKL and SSR.

oakmanner
06-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Always book SSR at 11 month window then waitlist two other resorts. If the waitlists don't come through, we're totally happy at SSR!

rentayenta
06-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Always book SSR at 11 month window then waitlist two other resorts. If the waitlists don't come through, we're totally happy at SSR!

What two resorts?

Buckeye Fan
06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I had a hard time deciding whether it's #1 or #2, because I dearly love SSR and OKW. :cloud9: However, I give SSR a slight edge because of DTD and the decor. There's just something about these resorts that reminds me more of home, and less of a hotel. :thumbsup2

DFD
06-02-2009, 11:33 PM
the 1st two years of being DVC SSR has been the 1st choice... since it is my home I booked at 11 month mark and thats it... but now I am moving around and trying other resorts... just like a few of previous poster I book the 11th month mark and at 7th month I try other resorts if it is available great if on the waitlist still great if the waitlist is a bust it is still great!!!

Love the Congress and the quiet pool :thumbsup2

now I am bouncing between BWV and AKV Jambo... and maybe/hopefully next year get to try WLV...

4mcbjCtr
06-03-2009, 04:34 AM
I selected my last option, not because we don't like SSR, but because we want to try and stay at all of the DVC resorts. We will be adding on a lot more points at some time in the future, so want to be completely sure of which additional resorts we will be happy calling home. We love SSR, but have stayed there lots of times already. We also have plenty of points there, so will definately not add on there.

Mickey'sApprentice
06-03-2009, 06:52 AM
ok, our home at BWV is truly our 1st option.

We would like to eventually try some of the other resorts IF they are available. At this point, we would definitely take one of the others over SSR, because well...you can get SSR anytime right, or almost.

In a way, SSR is probably our 2nd option, because we would like to be able to go somewhat spur of the moment, (plan 2-3 months out).

SSR does have a lot going for it. Popularity is not one of those things.

dairyqueenmom
06-03-2009, 06:57 AM
It is our last choice, it just doesn't do much for us. It looks a little to much like home, But we feel the same way about VWL. I doubt we will ever stay there.

Starr W.
06-03-2009, 07:10 AM
It's our home resort and we prefer SSR for weeklong trips. Like the fact it has many GV's, was able to book one for this Thanksgiving.

For our shorter trips, which are more in non-major holiday times, that's when we try other resorts. We've done VWL.BCV, and BWV.

Everyone can agree that a BW view is our favorite after SSR, not sure we would like BWV with a pref. view.

I think BCV might be second, just on location and the pool. Our room there was in more need of rehabbing than our's at BWV.

DH and the boys could care less if they ever stayed at VWL again,

AKV, doesn't seem to get anyone very excited when I mention it, animals so what and the bus ride out there is long(the boys). I would only book if I could get a SV villa.

BLT seems to be the next one to try.

So summarizing, if we couldn't get a BW view or BLT, we would rather stay at SSR.

Though our absolute favorite DVC resort is Vero Beach. The boys(8&12) given the choice would rather go there than WDW.

Mississippian
06-03-2009, 07:22 AM
To me, SSR has all the disadvantages (for me) of OKW without any of the advantages of giant rooms and super-low point prices.

For example, a one bedroom at SSR has 1070 square feet and costs 25 points weeknights during Dream season, or 42.8 feet per point. The OKW one bedroom has 1395 square feet and costs 20 points weeknights during Dream season, or 69.75 feet per point. So SSR costs 1.63 times more than OKW for essentially the same type of resort, so if you want to stay in a spread-out resort, why pay more for less?

I should note that OKW really isn't the resort for me, either, although I might try it against if I had a unit near the HH. I just prefer a compact resort, with walking distance a bonus. It's a pretty resort, though, and SSR is a pretty resort, too. I just think SSR is a poor value when compared with OKW.

I own at BWV and love the easy access to EPCOT and the activities of the Boardwalk. The jury is still out on BLT in that I'm not sure I will like it better than BWV. If I do, it will be because it still has good access to EPCOT and also access to the restaurants, bars, pooks and arcades at the MK resorts. The MK walking access is a real bonus but not what I see as the real benefit of BLT.

allshookup
06-03-2009, 07:37 AM
SSR is our home resort, we love staying there & it is our first choice just about every other trip, i.e. we took friends & wanted to share our "home" resort with them last October & in summer 2011, we are hoping to get a treehouse & take family.

That being said, we are going to WDW for NYE for only a few nights & we were hoping to stay in BLT or BWVs as our second choice to be closer to the parks, entertainment, fireworks, etc. but we couldn't switch from SSR (we are waitlisted for BLT MK view, but not expecting it without a miracle) so that is a bit of a disappointment. :guilty:

TLinden16
06-03-2009, 07:44 AM
I chose that SSR is one of my last choices. It's a beautiful resort. The rooms are great. But it's just too big for me. I like my resorts to be more compact, and busy. That's why I bought my points at the Boardwalk--I love hustle and bustle. I don't know how to relax.

wdwfan1
06-03-2009, 07:49 AM
The resort is lovely but it doesnt really appeal to us. It would be at the bottom of our list. Maybe we will try it some day and that will change our minds. It is a good thing we dont all like the same resort as our first choice!

1 tied BWV and VWL
2 OKW
3 BCV
4 BLT
5 tied AKV and SSR

TinklednPants
06-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Stayed there once. Will stay there again only if nothing else is available. For whatever reason, when I am at SSR I do not feel like I am at Disney. Or at the very least that I am staying off-property. I can't really put my finger on it..the resort is nice enough..but I don't like it at all.

mamaprincess
06-03-2009, 08:14 AM
1. SSR
2. AKV(Jambo)
3. BLT
4. BWV or BCV
5. OKW
6. WLV (haven't visited yet)
Vero and Hilton head aren't even on the radar for us.

We have only stayed at SSR. Even when we have booked other places, we always wind up changing to SSR. We love it there. I wonder how we will feel if we stay at another place?

I visit all the resorts on our vacations and love each one (haven't visited WLV yet), just don't really love the decor in the villas at the other resorts (except for AKV).

I looooooovvvvvvvve the Boardwalk theme, location and lobby but the room decor just looks a little corny to me. I do looovvvve the colors that they chose and I think when they update, BWV will be on my list as one I want to try. The kids absolutely want to stay here.

I love the look of the BCV and the fantastic pool, location and of course Art the greeter but the beach casual decor of the rooms doesn't do it for me. The kids want to stay here too.

OKW has the absolutely best grounds, just gorgeous but for some reason I don't want to stay there; I think it's the decor in the rooms. I'm not a beach casual kind of girl. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it just not for me. Since we are drivers, the convenient parking is a plus. I've read about the rooms being the largest and the huge balconies so that is certainly a plus. If you prefer two queens in your studio, I believe they are the only one's that have them.

I really can't deal with the colors and style of the WLV room decor. The colors aren't for me and mission style isn't my thing. I love the location near tons of activities etc and the lodge itself does look splendid in pictures. I will be touring the WLV for Christmas. None of us want to stay there.

BLT is still a work in progress but I am excited about staying there some day. Our whole family wants to try it. Maybe it's the futuristic Jetson's like theme or the fact that most of our favorite dining and resort touring is on the monorail. The lobby looks like it's going to be really fantastic.

We own at AKV so we loved it enough to buy it. AKL knocked our socks off when we first saw it and always does. It must be one of the most unique hotels in the US. The details and Theme are incredible. I love that it is so different from my own home and is like nothing I could experience anywhere else. Boma is my favorite restaurant and we all love AK because there is so much variety: Shows, animals, rides etc. I would probably choose Jambo over Kidani because AKL is my first love and my hubby loves 2 bedrooms now so can't go back so those values are great point savers.

SSR is magical to us. The colors are beautiful and happy. The room decor is perfect for us. It's elegant, understated and beautiful not cheesy at all. The counter service options at SSR are the best and I've only heard good things about the Turf Club. The proximity to Downtown Disney for even more counter service and table service options is invaluable plus we just like to take the boat and wander around over there. OKW also has the DTD advantage. Because of the size and layout of SSR, you never feel crowded or like the noise followed you home. You can leave all of that at the parks and really regroup and settle down after a long day. That works for me. At some point during my vacation, I like to feel like I'm actually on vacation.:laughing: I think that's what the OKW lovers feel they need as welll and I think that is the appeal of both resorts. You feel rested and stress free while at these two resorts in particular. The spa is awesome. We love HRS pool and GS pool has to be the best quiet pool on property. We drive so convenient parking is a great thing.

That's my two cents.:goodvibes

kaffinito
06-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Right now SSR is one of my last choices. I just don't like the way it looks. (Sorry SSR fans!)

However, we are staying there in a 2 bedroom this summer on DP's so I might change my tune after that stay. I might like it, and then again I might not. :)

First choice would be OKW - I think that place is beautiful, with second choice BLT. :goodvibes

Disney_Villain
06-03-2009, 09:23 AM
We prefer "big and spread out resorts" - with quiet/satellite pools (ones without waterslides). These resorts give us a break from the parks in terms of finding some quiet time. We also like to find healthy counter service options and nice lounges.

Here's our list of preferred WDW DVC resorts (in order of most preferred to least preferred), based on the above criteria:

SSR
OKW
BLT
BCV/BWV/VWL
AKV

SSR has the healthiest counter-service food options I've found at any DVC resort. To us, this gives it a slight edge on OKW.

We've found BCV, BWV, VWL to be a bit noisier than we'd like. Otherwise, they are lovely resorts and we will stay at them from time to time.

BLT isn't our usual style of preferred resorts, being a high-rise, but it does have a quiet pool. Also, the many lounge options in both the CR and the tower are very appealing to us (adults w/o kids who like to drink).

AKV is last on our list as it does not have any quiet/satellite pools. Also, The Mara is an overwhelmed counter-service venue that has very unhealthy food choices. I am hoping that Kidani gets their own eventually, and that healthier food choices will be offered.

bobbiwoz
06-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I would never give up a WDW stay if we "had" to stay in SSR. However, in most cases, I would prefer it to OKW only.

Bobbi:goodvibes

btrim
06-03-2009, 09:43 AM
:lovestruc
I did put it for a second choice only because right now we also own at AKV and we really enjoyed our stay there in May. The stay was too short and we are looking forward to a longer stay in December. However our December trip is split between our two favorite resorts and those are AKV and SSR. We love the other resorts also because we love trying them all. I am never unhappy when I get something else. I usually try to book at the 11 month mark, then sometimes if we want to try one of the others, I will call at the 7 month mark. I haven't tried BCV, and really don't care if I ever do. Also BWV was not our choice. We love EPCOT and The Studios, but would rather take a bus or drive so we can have the quietness of AKV and SSR after a long day in the parks.

cristbaby
06-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I love SSR. It is our home resort and I love being able to book 11 months out. Also love that it is quiet....even with the grandkids, it's just enough for them after the parks all day. And we can walk to DTD, how great is that.

littlestar
06-03-2009, 11:11 AM
SSR has become my first choice because I don't have to rent a car, but I can still walk to my favorite restaurants in Orlando down at Crossroads shopping area - Flippers Pizza and other chain restaurants. Not to mention the fun restaurants at Downtown Disney. :)

Dizny Dad
06-03-2009, 11:15 AM
SSR is my number one place to stay when in "The World", except during Christmas.

Christmas time I stay at VWL where I'll find DiznyDi! :santa:

ADP
06-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. We like to rotate around to the different DVC properties at Disney World. When we haven't stayed at SSR in a while we feel the need to make it our number 1 choice.

jlewisinsyr
06-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Last Choice...its not a bad place, just not my style, same with OKW.

jlewisinsyr
06-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Also, The Mara is an overwhelmed counter-service venue that has very unhealthy food choices. I am hoping that Kidani gets their own eventually, and that healthier food choices will be offered.

Not a debate, as Mara does have its issues, but Artist's Palette is WAY too small, even more so then Mara in terms of resort size, flow and offerings.

Ms. WDW
06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Actually it would be my first or second. I own there and at the Boardwalk so I alternate back and forth! :thumbsup2

dvcdisney
06-03-2009, 12:31 PM
In terms of Disney vacations, it is one of our last choices. I usually categorize the resorts into 3 categories.

1st Choice: BCV, AKV
2nd Choice: VWL, BWV, BLT
3rd Choice: OKW, SSR/THV

Dreamfinder2
06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
The only DVC property we *haven't* stayed at is Vero Beach. We used to live in Vero, and there isn't a whole lot of appeal to us.

We own at SSR, but I'm torturing myself to say it's a first choice. There isn't a single thing I don't like about it. We love being close to DTD (altho I'm real curious as to what will happen with all that Pleasure Island space, and I'm sorry the fireworks viewing area isn't fulfilling it's original purpose.)

Honestly, I like 'em all. Oddly enough, BCV is our least favorite, but I couldn't tell you why.

DW loves Boardwalk. DS is partial to WLV. DD likes SSR and BWV. We all like AKL Kidani. Our first stay there was a couple of weeks ago. And OKW definitely has charms of its own just because of the amazing space.

So I chose SSR as second choice, but I'll be danged if I can determine what my first choice is. For me personally, it's probably gonna be AKLV.

ACDSNY
06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
SSR is our first choice for most trip. After a few days in the parks we enjoy the resort for peace & quiet. We're trying our first trip to AKV in Nov, but I tacked on 2 nights in the THV to test them out.

culli
06-03-2009, 04:05 PM
The more I read all the comments I realize they are all in some way or another my favorities. Whenever I make a ressie I always wonder hmmmm should I have booked "insert DVC resort here" and constantly 2nd guess myself. I wish I could pick up SSR and set it next to BCV or BWV.....or BLT for that matter. SSR is my favorite resort but I just love the park locations ability to walk. Maybe if they spruce up DTD with something that would change the balance of power:confused3 DTD seems like it could have so much potential with all that room.....even something like BW atmosphere would be nice. Something like the inner harbour in Baltimore or even navy pier in Chicago would be nice.......they have so much potential there and something more than shoping and a few restaurants.

DVC Mike
06-03-2009, 05:25 PM
i would never give up a wdw stay if we "had" to stay in ssr. However, in most cases, i would prefer it to okw only.

Bobbi:goodvibes

ita.

Mickey'sApprentice
06-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I would actually take SSR over OKW for a studio stay, and OKW for a 1,2,GV stay.

I would stay at OKW studio if I were totally short on points.

We almost did stay at an OKW studio but BWV standard came through.

DVC4me4Ever
06-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Isn't this the true beauty of DVC??!!! We all have our own opinions of each resort. I bet to say the more they build the more our opinions will vary.

It is because of the diversity of our preferences is what makes it possible for many of our 7 month booking choices to come through.

BTW, I voted SSR as my #1 choice because it is a calm, beautiful and relaxing resort and atmosphere. :cool1:

DVCJones
06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I have stayed at BWV, OKW, SSR, and VWL. I am still trying to stay at each resort at least once. However, SSR is my favorite so far.

Monorail Purple&Gold
06-03-2009, 10:06 PM
SSR would be our 2nd choice after our home resort, AKV, which we love. Really love SSR and would buy there.

JasonDVC
06-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Would stay there to be on property but would be my last choice.

spiceycat
06-03-2009, 10:17 PM
BLT, BWV, BCV and either AKV or VWL for 4th

marvali
06-04-2009, 06:36 AM
We had the option when we purchased between SSR and AKV. We went with AKV for two reasons; ability to sleep 5 (current family size) in a one bedroom, and the contract was for two or three more years. We also envisioned down the road as we get older we would spend more time at the resort and less in the parks, so the animals at AKV also played a role, especially when grandkids come along.

We stayed at SSR and really enjoyed it. We have also stayed at OKW and AKV-Jambo (plus HHIR). Our upcoming trip we will be at Kidani. We are looking forward to trying some of the other resorts also, but if planning a trip and we had to be selective about where we could stay, it would be Kidani (home, less points in 1BR sleeping 5), then OKW (huge rooms where we can get away with a 1BR like we did last summer) and then SSR.

We are not as picky about the different resorts as we realize each one has something different to offer and we enjoy the variety. We figure the comfort of any of the DVC resorts, kitchen, sitting area, etc is way better than the alternatives.

culli
06-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Interesting........50% 1 or 2nd choice 50% 3rd to no way.

Nice to see because up until the last few months I have seen SSR get beat up pretty ugly.

On another post of TUG people are talking about cost of ownership. Not that anyone can really go to WDW and consider a $$$ bargain. But if you buy SSR resale and you could possibly get close to $60 pt pay lower MF and stay at OKW for low pt cost.....I think that formula would work well to justify DVC for many on the fence that DVC might make sense for them.

florep1
06-04-2009, 10:58 AM
As SSR owners we always book there 1t 11 moths then try for toher resorts at 7 months ONLY because we want to try them all. So far we've never had any issues switching to WVL, BCV, or AKV at 7 months including CL stays but every time I switch, part of me is sad because I know I'll miss SSR. My 8 year old son is excited about our upcoming AKV stay in a couple of weeks but he can't seem to understand why we can't stay at SSR and just visit AKV :confused3

LIFERBABE
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
SSR is my first choice for our 2 week Christmas vacations. We really enjoy spending time at the resort and the parks are too packed before NYE so we dont even try to go. If it we did not enjoy SSR so much, we probably would not go to WDW every Christmas because we would miss the parks staying at the others that long.

We book SSR at 11 months and use our other points to stay where we want the other times of the year.

marvali
06-04-2009, 11:37 AM
As SSR owners we always book there 1t 11 moths then try for toher resorts at 7 months ONLY because we want to try them all. So far we've never had any issues switching to WVL, BCV, or AKV at 7 months including CL stays but every time I switch, part of me is sad because I know I'll miss SSR. My 8 year old son is excited about our upcoming AKV stay in a couple of weeks but he can't seem to understand why we can't stay at SSR and just visit AKV :confused3

Hope we get to see you at Kidani. Our boys are getting excited about it already too.

Hollymom1229
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
We own at our two favorite resorts, AKV and SSR. SSR is typically the second choice because AKV is the very favorite. I'm trying to stay at each DVC resort once, hence BCV on next trip. But after that will probably stay either AKV or SSR for most trips.

Anal Annie
06-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I voted 2nd choice simply because we're on a mission to try all of the DVC resorts and haven't finished staying everywhere yet. We DO like SSR tho... I have a feeling that we will always bounce around between diff. resorts so that each trip is fresh and different... Now that we've actually stayed at SSR I don't see us saying "We booked SSR bcuz that's all that was available". It would be fine if that's what we were able to get. But bouncing around keeps our trips unique and different. We don't really want to be locked into ALWAYS staying at the same resort.:goodvibes

PurpleTurtle
06-04-2009, 07:43 PM
I voted 4th choice. I've only stayed at OKW and SSR (and really liked it!), but we're hoping to try BLT, VWL and BCV over the next few years before going back to SSR.

abbysmema
06-04-2009, 09:19 PM
We own at SSR. It is always our first choice. Marie