PDA

View Full Version : Villas at WL Good Price?

poohs4me
06-18-2002, 11:44 AM
I have been quoted $308 a night before taxes on a one bedroom villa at the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge for the first or second week in January. Is this a good price? I see the rack rate is closer to $400 during that time frame, but I didn't know with all the other discount codes that come out if this is still good.

JillU-DVC
06-18-2002, 12:20 PM
Don't know if that's a good cash rate or not, but you may want to try renting DVC points from a member for your stay. I've heard people say that renting points is cheaper than paying cash.

There's a DVC REntal board you can post to and ask for points to rent:

DVC Rent/Trade board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=29)

You'll need to see how many points you'll need for your stay; you can use the DVC point calculator here:

DVC Points calculator (http://www.wdwinfo.com/resort/dvcpoint.shtml)

Be sure to read the directions for the points calculator.

I do see there's someone that's recently posted they have points at WLV for rent.

It's worth looking into!

poohs4me
06-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the idea. I did check and had to use last years dates since I couldn't get the 2003 year to produce anything. The Weekday rate seemed to be great but the weekend was double and that was just to high. It averaged to be 42 points a night and even at 9 dollars a point that seemed higher then my current rate. I do find it odd that the DVC calculator comes up more then the rack rate is that usual?

JillU-DVC
06-18-2002, 01:54 PM
Yes, I don't think 2003 point totals are quite available yet. But the points don't change much (if at all) from year to year - using this year's point table should get you the right number of points for next year.

The DVC points don't really have anything to do with the cash prices for the rooms. And DVC points are always higher (usually double) on the weekends; many members plan their trips around this to minimize the weekend nights. You can't average the points - you need to find the total points needed for your stay and figure what that would cost you for renting points.

I don't really know what points rent for (we never seem to have any left over, so I've never done it); I do know it IS negotiable. It may be that renting points for your trip will cost more than the discounted cash rate you've already gotten, especially if it's a good discount.

I thought it was worth looking into for you; it was possible it could have saved you money, but maybe not for this trip?

The other thing to take into consideration is that with DVC points, you don't pay any hotel/room taxes. I don't know what those are for Disney, but I believe they are not insignificant (for some reason, I think they're more than 10% per night). Be sure you're comparing apples to apples when you make your decision.

On the other hand, with DVC points, you don't get daily maid service, just a Trash and Towel day 4 days into your stay (with a full cleaning on the 8th day). If you want/need daily maid service, you're better off with the cash rate you've gotten.

Hope this was helpful, and hope you get your trip all figured out!!

manning
06-18-2002, 04:43 PM
11% tax

Tesabat
06-18-2002, 05:11 PM
What you can do is book it, then watch the discount codes. If a better code comes along, just call and have them adjust it to the new code.

Pammy jo
06-18-2002, 08:20 PM
If you are considering renting points here is what we did. We rented points for the weekdays and used Disney Club for the adjoing weekends. We're going in November, but I'm told to just let Disney know ahead of time that you have continuing ressie's and you can just stay in the same room. This was the cheapest way to go and we were able to afford a one bedroom.

poohs4me
06-18-2002, 08:35 PM
That is a very good idea. I will have to go see if anyone has any points for that time frame. Thanks.