PDA

View Full Version : Pls help with hotel for dh and me while kids, sis, and mom at Contemporary

js
06-18-2002, 12:06 PM
Please help me.
My mother and sister are taking my dd and ds to WDW in October and they are staying at Contemporary Towers.
My husband and I will spend three nights at Disney prior to us taking a cruise leaving from Tampa.
We've been to Disney many times, the last being last Aug. (stayed at BC). My husband and I want to keep our expenses down this trip, since we rather save our money for our cruise and we will have just sold our house and purchased a new home end of the summer. We will have our car.
We can get ASMu for approx. $79, but we have been there/done that, not too interested staying there this trip.
We can get Best Western Lake Buena Vista in DTD for $79 per night - - they matched my ASMu rate (although I know they are renovating and not sure it will be done by Oct) or I can get Hotel Royal Plaza with Mousesaver rate of $85 per night plus $7 resort fee coming to $92 per night before tax.
Should I just stay in BW or do you think I should just stay in a WDW moderate (I've only stayed in Value, Deluxe and offsite at HIFS). Or should I use the S/D gov't/medical professional discount of $129? Just trying to keep costs down but want a semi-nice resort/hotel.
So, for the money, what do you suggest? Transportation is not an isssue. I have my car but will "check it in" at Contemporary when my mom checks in so I will not be paying for parking. We wil meet them in the mornings and leave them at night for our hotel (kids will want to stay with my sister and mom)

WDW Moderate Hotel
Swan/Dolphin
Hotel Royal Plaza
Best Western
or any other suggestion (I really don't want to be further away from them at the Contemporary than DTD).

Thanks

TigrLvsPooh
06-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Have you checked Wilderness Lodge? That would be close. Or what about a wing room at the CR? If they don't have availability then I would go with S/D or a moderate. :D

MJames41
06-18-2002, 01:11 PM
I would suggest a moderate, especially something like Caribbean Beach. Since you won't have the kids, my thought is that the parks won't be that important to you and your husband, and you seem to be looking for some alone time (unless I'm reading too much into it). WL is also a good suggestion, or, if you do go deluxe, you might consider AKL. My personal preference is always onsite, so my opinions are a little biased.

js
06-18-2002, 01:16 PM
Thank you for your responses. Sorry, maybe I should have explained myself better.
We will be with the kids from Friday - Monday (along with my mom and sister). On Monday, we will leave the kids (in WDW) with my mom and my sister and drive to Tampa for our cruise. When our cruise is over, we will return back to WDW and "pick up" our family.

BCV23
06-18-2002, 01:16 PM
Another idea about the WL...they have deluxe rooms that sleep 6. Or call CRO and see if there is a junior suite or something at the Cont. that would sleep all of you without breaking the bank. It never hurts to ask. I remember Cali and someone else discussing a suite that the other person (sorry, I can't remember who!) got for a great rate.

js
06-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Thanks but we don't want to be all in the same room. My mom and sister will be with the kids. Husband and I want a room, not too expensive, since we rather save the money this time and use for our cruise. WL is not the way we want to go at this time although it sounds great for another trip. Just want a clean, inexpensive room. Staying on/off site does not make a difference to me, I've done both, kids will be staying on site, we will meet with them in the mornings. HELP :)

mooses41
06-18-2002, 04:22 PM
rent dvc points or bid on priceline

DancingBear
06-18-2002, 05:12 PM
There is no inexpensive place to stay which will be convenient to the Contemporary where the rest of your family will be. I suspect, then, that you won't be toddling back and forth to your hotel during the day, or spending a lot of time at your hotel; rather, you will probably hang out with them and then just drive (I assume you have a car) back to your resort to sleep at night.

In that case, I'd pick any relatively inexpensive decent room, even if it's a close offsite like Fairfield Inn at Marriott Village.

DeeP
06-18-2002, 07:24 PM
If you are willing to pay $85.00 for a DTD hotel, I personally would look into a moderate with a discounted rate. There are DC, AP, and code rates that are pretty close to that for the moderates and IMHO it is so much nicer to stay on site. All the moderates are great resorts, just pick the theming you like best!

karensi
06-18-2002, 08:58 PM
js, Have you thought about Priceline? Since it will be just you and your DH it probably doesn't matter too much about getting into a particular Disney Resort( can do that next trip with the kids). If you bid on Priceline for a 4 star resort in the WDW area I think that you might have a chance of getting the S/D or another nice hotel in DTD. I also think that DeeP had a good idea.If you wanted to try out a moderate that you might not want to stay in with the kids(CSR ?) this might be the time. Enjoy your trip, lucky you ;)