PDA

View Full Version : Is Hoop Dee Doo worth it if you have very young kids?

cnjmom
06-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I have a reservation for Hoop Dee Doo. I have read how much most people enjoy it, but I have also heard that it's not really worth it if your kids are younger than a certain age. My kids will be 5.5, just about 3 and 13 months. Obviously, I'm not really asking about the 13 month old, and my almost three year old is still 'free', but it's still pricey for us ($151, we're not on DDP). Would the money be better spent elsewhere, given the very young ages of two of my three kids?

I'm particularly interested in answers from people who have done it with kids around the ages of mine.

Thanks.

disneynikon
06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
We go there every trip. My grand kids love it. We have had them as young as 2 and as old as 9. They do a great show and take kids and adults to add to the show. We had them take my husband and the last time they took my father (80) to play the fairy. It was to funny. The kids get to play spoons on the wash boards and clap to the songs.

APhillips
06-01-2009, 03:48 PM
We went to Hoop-Dee-Doo last trip when the kids were 8, 6, and 2. Besides the kids loving the food, they think the silly jokes are hysterical. The youngest loves music so he swayed in his seat to all the songs and laughed whenever we did. The smile never left his face and his attention was always on the entertainment or all the yummy food we put in front of him. We've gone there when the older kids were younger too... once when the oldest was 9 months and had the same reaction from all of them. Just clapping along and having a great time. We always pay OOP b/c we prefer the seats toward the stage and we think it's worth every single penny. We love to start every vacation w/ this dinner.

Tinker'n'Fun
06-01-2009, 04:02 PM
The first time the kids went they were 5 & 3. They did NOT remember it. 2nd. time they were 10 & 12. Much better age, they loved it. I really love the show. We go everytime now. I would say go if you were on the DDP, but if you are paying out of pocket, and going for the kids, I would eat somewhere else, and see the "shows" in the parks. BUT, if you want to see the show, the money is definetely worth it!

ladylyons
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I would highly recommend doing it. My DS (27 months) and our DD (8 months) loved it. They both were clapping and lauging during the whole show. Yeah they aren't going to remember it but my DH, my mom, my dad and I will so that's all that matters.

kristen2276
06-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I have a reservation for Hoop Dee Doo. I have read how much most people enjoy it, but I have also heard that it's not really worth it if your kids are younger than a certain age. My kids will be 5.5, just about 3 and 13 months. Obviously, I'm not really asking about the 13 month old, and my almost three year old is still 'free', but it's still pricey for us ($151, we're not on DDP). Would the money be better spent elsewhere, given the very young ages of two of my three kids?

I'm particularly interested in answers from people who have done it with kids around the ages of mine.

Thanks.

Kieran loved it last year at not quite two, he loved the singing and the music-he did not get the story aspects, but he just loved all the upbeatness of it-
He also was free- They came to our table and he was having a blast playing the music-

Jack&Ryan'smom
06-01-2009, 08:18 PM
We went when DS's were 6.5 & 2.5. DH & I had seen the show twice before and we always loved it. Wasn't sure how the boys would enjoy it...boy was I surprised!! They loved it!! They loved the food and thought the show was hysterical!! I'm so glad we did it!!!
It is a long night though...it takes awhile to get over to the show and they tell you to arrive early. The boys were getting very restless waiting to get in.:)

tiffany2009
06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Just took my kids in April. Twin boys are 5.5 and DD is 3. One of my sons LOVED it. It was the highlight of his trip and he still talks about it. And we enjoyed watching him get into it. It was great. DD was good for a long time and got restless when desset came. So I count that as a win. My other son did not get into it but ate a ton of cornbread.

If you go, try to book the 5 p.m. show. I agree it is a long night for the little ones. We got into Cat 1 no problem b/c dining plan uses cat 2 and 3.

britfish
06-01-2009, 09:07 PM
last summer we took my DD who had just turned 4. She loved it! We went to the 5pm show.

PurpleTurtle
06-01-2009, 09:16 PM
My Dad and I took my two oldest in Jan 2006 when they were 7 and 4.5. The 7yo LOVED it and smiled and laughed the entire time. The 4.5 liked it a lot too. She got a little antsy toward the very end, but then came the washboards, spoons, and strawberry shortcake! She was happy again after that. We all LOVED the food. Yummy.

mickeymouse1017
06-01-2009, 10:02 PM
We went there last summer during my DD's 4th birthday trip. She really enjoyed it and even remembered the songs from her Disney music cd. I did not realize exactly how much she enjoyed it until this summer when we started planning to take her down for her 5th birthday trip. I asked her to pick the place where she would like to have her special birthday meal. Her answer - HDD. It is pricey but the oldest two should really enjoy it. Plus, take advantage while you still have two that are free. And if your kids want it, they will bring you mac and cheese if you ask for it. My DD loved the food.

Cee
06-02-2009, 08:45 AM
We went to see this for the first time(have seen it MANY times since) in 1993 when my kids(see pic at left) were 8,10 and 12. We were seated ringside. When "Six Bits" was singing the "Darling Clementine" song he would pause, look at my
8 yr. old DD and then sing whatever the silly lyric was and EVERY time she would fall off her chair in hysterics. It was so funny that even the CAST was laughing after awhile. Then when he "kicked the bucket" it was all over. Good Times! :goodvibes

petestulipbug
06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
We went last year with my 3 year old and he seemed to enjoy it. We had great seats and lots of action around. We would do it again!

cnjmom
06-02-2009, 01:53 PM
to keep our reservation for HDDR. I just wasn't sure if the almost 3 year old would be entertained for it. We have the 5 PM, Category 1 seating, so we should be OK. :)

Thanks to all who responded.

RahRah573
06-02-2009, 02:12 PM
We did Hoop-Dee-Doo last year when DS just turned 4.....he had a blast - swining his napkin over his head, dancing around, and singing a-long when they prompt the audience to join in.....I had more fun watching him have fun than the show!

Morley Dotes
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
we took our kids when they were 2.5 and 3.5 and they were okay with it. I think they would have enjoyed it more now, and still more in a couple of years. I probably would have taken them somewhere else, if I had to do it over again. This year we will try the bbq. We did the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and it was very good and the kids enjoyed it. My daughter was a little afraid of the fire, but she liked it. I should also note that Hoop Dee Doo is a HIKE! And with those youngsters it might be tough. I would probably look at a few other options. If money is not an issue (congratulations) and you have the forititude, go for it. If not, save the money for something else....there are certainly plenty of fun things to spend your money on that might not be so draining.

maryann92201
06-02-2009, 03:58 PM
We took my DS when he was 4. I wasn't sure he would get the jokes either, but he about rolled out :rotfl2: of his chair several times laughing. It was so cute! He sang "Hoop Dee Doo, Hoop Dee Doo" for weeks after we got home. He really did enjoy it and wants to go back this year. He will be 7 this time. My DD will be 2 this trip and I have no problems taking her at all.

nan214
06-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I just asked the same question about month ago b/c I was torn b/w Hddr and BBBQ. I got the same very positive replies. We are going to do the hdddr with our almost 5 DD and almost 3 DS. I have always wanted to go so Im finally doing it! I had the same type of dilema b/c you need to use 2 TS to go and was not sure if it was really worth it. I was also advised to do the 5p show. I had no problem getting seats at the 5p show. Good luck with your decision!!! :thumbsup2

Tinkerbelle92306
06-02-2009, 08:40 PM
I definitely would do it. I've been to the show twice and thought it an absolutely blast. I do not have children but both times I went I did notice that the kids there seem like they are enjoying the show because they are usually laughing at all the silly jokes.:laughing: