PDA

View Full Version : Should we do the luau even though we won't care for the food?

Stellapedia
06-01-2009, 10:34 AM
We originally wanted to do Spirit of Aloha as our only dinner show. We then decided to upgrade dining and have blobs of credits and can spare a few, so we're doing (if we can get res) HDD and the BBQ, but canceled SOA after seeing the menu. Thing is, we're not going to enjoy the food (if we even eat) at any of the dinner shows, we're going for the shows themselves. Do you think SOA is worth it as a show and maybe eating a little bit, or should we skip it?
I don't necessarily mind "paying" and not eating, but not if the show is a dud.

At time of travel our kids will be 4 and 10 months. We also bring a service dog and don't know if that will require us sitting elsewhere or not.

Dreamfinder2
06-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I'd saythat the HDDR is definitely better of the two major dinner shows. And while SOA is a good enough show, I don't know that it's worth that much $$$ if you don't plan to eat.

If the "show's the thing," and food is of no concern, how about La Nouba instead? It is superb.

VegasMike21
06-01-2009, 11:46 AM
I went years ago and I mean years ago to this show and it was a very good show, but I don't think it's worth the $$$ especially if you don't plan on eating at all.

HeatherPage
06-01-2009, 12:02 PM
What kind of foods do you normally like to eat? The reason I ask is we went to the SOA last summer and it was basically roasted chicken (very good) ribs with not really too much of a sauce but they were tasty and then basically a fried rice and mixed (stir-fried) vegetable type selection. My son actually ate a good amount and he's normally the chicken nugget or cheeseburger and fries kind of kid. There was nothing overly spice or exotic about the food, unless that is what you are looking for.

About the service dog, I'm not too sure about that if they would have you sit in the back. We just happen to be kind of in the back, left and I actually liked that better than right up front, it felt a little more private. The show as decent, my son enjoyed it, especially the fire dancers.

Good luck in your decision.

kaitlyn0616
06-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I would definately try doing another dinner show if you are not going to eat the food, try the Hoop Di Doo instead

Stellapedia
06-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Okay, that doesn't sound too bad then.
I don't eat meat (I will if I must, but I prefer to avoid it. Shrimp I will do, and chicken if I have to, but I prefer to avoid it) and my son is severely limited by his allergies and a few things that he is convinced are bad for him. But Disney is generally great with allergies, so I'm not too worried about him.

BevS97
06-01-2009, 12:13 PM
We really enjoyed the food at the Luau, I was pleasantly surprised as I didn't have high expectations but it was really good

ga9497
06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Okay, that doesn't sound too bad then.
I don't eat meat (I will if I must, but I prefer to avoid it. Shrimp I will do, and chicken if I have to, but I prefer to avoid it) and my son is severely limited by his allergies and a few things that he is convinced are bad for him. But Disney is generally great with allergies, so I'm not too worried about him.

When you make your ADR make sure you letting the cast member know of the allergies and that you would prefer a vegetarian (or whatever) option. They will make sure you get what you need and if you want a little of something that everyone else gets then you can just have that too.