PDA

View Full Version : Up!!!

Disneyland Veteran
06-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Just saw it today, that movie was hilarious. Is it just me or do little kids movies seem funnier than the adult ones? Lol. So what did everyone else think? Is DL gonna add the characters from the movie?

Albort
06-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Just saw it today, that movie was hilarious. Is it just me or do little kids movies seem funnier than the adult ones? Lol. So what did everyone else think? Is DL gonna add the characters from the movie?

theres a pre-parade right before pixar play parade that shows them.

PinkBudgie
06-01-2009, 08:07 AM
You are right. Pixar movies are funnier than most adult movies. It seems like the comedy movies made for adults seem to have been made by 12 year old boys. :confused: I can't wait to see UP. Hopefully we can see it before we go "just in case". :)

DisneyFairytale
06-01-2009, 08:09 AM
It was a great movie. I went with the man, and he cried thru the entire Pixar short film that was shown right before the movie which I will admit, was very cute.

ballarinamom
06-01-2009, 08:48 AM
I think because Pixar takes a year and a half to make one film, the quality is a notch way above the rest. I think there is a rush to make movies and it cuts down the quality. We loved it but it was a little heavy for my DD's friends

tetney12
06-01-2009, 08:58 AM
My DD is 4...would this movie be appropriate?

KrazyKat4DIS
06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
DBF and I saw it on Friday night and we both loved it. It was so sweet. I highly recommend it! You'll laugh :laughing:, you'll cry :sad1:, you'll laugh some more :rotfl:.

I am so impressed with the attention to detail that Pixar has. It is a notch above the rest.

To answer the previous poster, I think it is fine for a 4 year old.

DisneyFairytale
06-01-2009, 10:07 AM
That movie would be great for a 4 year old. I was impressed how wide the age group the movie was made for because regardless of your age, there were jokes for the kids as well as the adults.

Great movie all around.

MickeyManiac
06-01-2009, 10:14 AM
My DS14 went with friends and did not like it. They just thought it was too sad. One said yesterday "she's still waiting for the happy feeling". My ds does not get emotional in movies, but said he almost cried twice during this one. He says he'll never watch it again. :confused3

Knowing my son the way I do, I'm so surprised that he got so hung up on the sad parts. I'm afraid to see it now.

zeitzeuge
06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
I have to say that's probably one of the best Pixar movies. Right up there with Finding Nemo and Wall-e which are my two favorites.

Dug the dog MADE the movie.

pycees312
06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
I thought the movie was amazing. However my DS 6 was restless during portions of the movie and he normally is very good during movies. but he said he did like it. and repeats some of the funny scenes.

Huff
06-01-2009, 11:03 AM
I haven't seen UP yet so can't comment on it. But my 11yr old girl has thought the majority of recent cartoon movies except for a few the past few years have been VERY boring. She didn't like Ratatoulie, Wall-E, Chicken Little, Shark Tale and a host of others. She hates the ones that try to teach kids a feel good lesson. She just wants to be silly and laugh and so many fail at that.

Ones she's like are Cars, Bolt, Ice Age I and the like. How does UP compare?

pinkblush
06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Just got back from seeing this with DH and DS5 and we all LOVED it! This is definitely one of the best Pixar movies, if not THE best!

Boo Bear
06-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm so excited to see this movie!

MagicalMomAZ
06-01-2009, 12:57 PM
I loved it! I laughed, I cried, it was great all around. After hearing about adult undertones in the beginning (don't want to post a spoiler!) I was unsure how my youngest would deal but it went right over his head! Which was good. ;)

I loved it so much. One thing in particular was how Kevin said goodbye to the 3 characters in 1 specific scene - too cute!

And DH had no idea Russell the scout was asian - sometimes I wish people would WATCH the film, I think too often (non-dissers) just glance at it bc it's a "kids" movie, my MIL "hates kids movies" - UGH!!!! :confused:

ballarinamom
06-01-2009, 01:29 PM
This movie is incredible and definately entertains a broad audience. But it is definately not the nothing but cutsie fluff. Because of the grown up scene in the beginning may lose a few smaller ones for the first few minutes. But that part really adds and makes the movie. Younger ones will perk back up when they see those balloons fly out of the house like they see in the ads!

Leshaface
06-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Am going to see it while I'm at DL on thursday...debating between 3D or the regular version...what do you folks suggest? That's a $6 difference! 6 dollars can buy me a small popcorn!popcorn::

Disney Fool
06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Skip the popcorn---see it in 3-D!!! This movie packs a powerful punch; no fluff here. You will cry, and you will laugh--often at the same time. It's an emotional rollercoaster. And, I loved it. (I had to keep taking the glasses off to wipe my eyes, the tears were from laughing and crying.)

Diznygrl
06-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't call this a "little kid's movie" by any stretch of the imagination, nor are any of Pixar's films. These movies are high quality works of art that are fully intended to reach a broad demographic (young, old, and everything in between), not just some inane fodder with the sole purpose of amusing little kids. That's what makes them all so great, and UP is no exception. Simply awesome.

DianneMcLean
06-04-2009, 11:37 PM
We're going to see it tomorrow :yay:

Mortimer Mouse
06-04-2009, 11:55 PM
We loved Up....but see if you agree with me here. While Pixar tells a wonderful story and their animation is spectacular, they are missing something that Disney movies have always excelled at, in fact it's something that makes Disney so sentimental, and that is the music and songs. Besides a couple from the Toy Story movies "you got a friend in me" and "When somebody loved me", Pixar lacks in the song Department. Just compare even Bolt to Up, song wise......see what I mean?........popcorn::

fairycat
06-05-2009, 12:58 AM
The interesting thing is before I read your post Mortimer Mouse I was going to say how "Up" feels so much like a classic Disney film to me. While I see your point about the songs, I think the overall feel of the Pixar films is just like the classics. I think the big thing is they aren't dumbing down their films, I like that the whole family really can watch a pixar film and enjoy the film, unlike some kid's films that parents (and sometimes even kid's) have to slug through, but then I seriously hate stupid humor.

Yes, I think there is more going on in this film then just a silly time, I think its a way to look at our lives see what we are holding on to and to talk to our kid's about the fun parts of the film including talking about friend's. I have to say while I thought it was emotional I actually didn't cry really and that is saying something since I am pregnant, but I did find the film touching and funny!

I love Dug!!!!!!!!!!

Niele
06-05-2009, 04:21 PM
We're going to see it tomorrow :yay:

me, too! :goodvibes BUT, I am very emotional and am wondering if the sadness is going to be too much for me. :worried:

DianneMcLean
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM
My DS14 went with friends and did not like it. They just thought it was too sad. One said yesterday "she's still waiting for the happy feeling". My ds does not get emotional in movies, but said he almost cried twice during this one. He says he'll never watch it again. :confused3

Knowing my son the way I do, I'm so surprised that he got so hung up on the sad parts. I'm afraid to see it now.

I think that's what I was waiting for too - the "happy" moment - it just never came for me - sorry folks:confused3

We saw it today - it had a very slow and sad start, and then the ending was just sort of melancholy. One of those movies I would watch once, and then probably not get excited to see it again.

Niele
06-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I agree DianneMcLean, I saw it yesterday and was so hoping that the ending would of been different. I kind of wanted the two old guys to go off together in future adventures :) Loved the dog and Kevin! popcorn::

Sherwin
06-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I loved it! I laughed, I cried, it was great all around. After hearing about adult undertones in the beginning (don't want to post a spoiler!) I was unsure how my youngest would deal but it went right over his head! Which was good. ;)
SPOILER POST!!!!!

Adult undertones? I can't recall any, unless you're referring to Ellie's miscarriage. I can't remember if it was on this board or IMDB, but someone online thought that having Ellie miscarry was too over the edge for a kid's film. I didn't think so though.

The film was great, albeit not perfect. I put it on par with Finding Nemo. Similar plot structure (main character loses wife, ends up on adventure far far from home). My friend mentioned that he thought it was darker than other recent Pixar films, since Charles Muntz actually tried to kill Carl with a sword, and eventually fell to his doom.

Sherwin
06-07-2009, 07:31 PM
OH and I must say this!!

There was one thing that almost ruined the film for me that wasn't even part of the film itself. The previews.

Before my anticipation to see Up!, I had to sit through trailers for yet... another talking animal film... from Disney. I'm disgruntled that WD Pictures has continued to take this path, despite the fact that these films 1) are never box office hits, 2) end up being lackluster and poorly received 3) make Walt roll over in his grave. Between Enchanted, Pixar Animation, and the upcoming new princess film, we've had nothing except films with talking animals and things like Hannah Montana in concert. I am thoroughly disappointed that they've ignored the original classic canon and have chosen to break away in the wrong direction.

Does anyone else feel this way? :confused3

CoMickey
06-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Squirrel!

DLR29
06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I just came back from watching it right now. AMAZING!!! I even started to tear up a little bit. Any movie that makes a teenage guy cry has to be good.
:sad:

Grumpy'sWife4Ever
06-21-2009, 10:15 PM
We just got back, and we absolutely loved it! My DD4 laughed at all the jokes and was blissfully unaware of the more emotional stuff, while both boys "got" the sad parts but weren't bogged down by it. Both DH and I cried.... I think it is one of the sweetest and most sentimental AND funniest and most well-told stories I have seen in a long, long time....animated or not!

jlmarr
06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
I should mention that there really is a Fenton's (http://www.fentonscreamery.com/) ice cream shop, in Oakland California. It was a place I frequented during my days in the bay area and now understand that the Pixar animators frequent the place themselves. Glad to see it! Be sure to try the Banana Special if you visit! :banana:

Queen Elisabeth
06-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I know that I'm biased, but I LOVE the way that Pixar always throws in little Bay Area shout-outs in all of their movies. I grew up very close to Fenton's. Best ice cream ever!

prettyprincessbelle
06-24-2009, 10:27 AM
We saw it 2 weekends ago in 3D I just loved it. It was touching and so funny. Wall-E was my favorite and I think this one is tied with it now. :thumbsup2

We loved Up....but see if you agree with me here. While Pixar tells a wonderful story and their animation is spectacular, they are missing something that Disney movies have always excelled at, in fact it's something that makes Disney so sentimental, and that is the music and songs. Besides a couple from the Toy Story movies "you got a friend in me" and "When somebody loved me", Pixar lacks in the song Department. Just compare even Bolt to Up, song wise......see what I mean?........popcorn::

I remember reading an interview with John Lasseter that he didn't want his movies to be "musicals" like most Disney classics were. Maybe that's why?

Squirrel!

Point!!!

:rotfl:

I just came back from watching it right now. AMAZING!!! I even started to tear up a little bit. Any movie that makes a teenage guy cry has to be good.
:sad:

Aww. :hug:

Chris420
07-02-2009, 11:14 PM
I loved it

I couldn't stop laughing at alphas voice:lmao: