PDA

View Full Version : can of worms here.....yelling in the hallways!

Goofy&Sleepy
05-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Ok, just got back from stay @BWV which we LOVE but now, I'm thinking OKW in Oct. is looking better & better b/c of noise. I'm an "OLD" mom of DD4 & DD7 & due to the recent storms in FL we did this trip kind of differently. We took naps around 4 in the afternoon & would go to the parks, after the storms, & stay til midnight. That said, maybe I was just more alert to the noisy people in the hallways @BWV. I had put the girls down for naps& DH was in the room & I went to get a drink.....3 YOUNG boys & their Parents, I assume, & a couple of other adults were trying to get back in their room & evidentially, had left all their keys in the room. They were waiting on one member of their party to come back from the pool & the boys were "being boys" yelling & such & all the parents said was "you boys are so LOUD" (as were they btw). This was not just one time but over the course of several days, it was the same group.

Again, not to open a can of worms here but I really try hard to tell my girls to be quite whether it's midnight or 11:00 a.m. b/c I know people are on different time zones when visiting the world. Any body else prefer SSR or OKW b/c of this?

CarolA
05-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Actually I do find that OKW and SSR are quieter and it's due to the issues you point out.

The hallways at Disney hotels are deemed "playgrounds" where it's OK for adults and children to act out. Why this is I don't know. I travel a lot and it does not happen at other hotels. Parents also seem to think that "Thier Darling" screaming is just too cute to stop LOL! Not to mention that too many parents today use the "sceam" method to "attempt" to control their kids. (Here's a hint. If you have told Junior 10 times that "if you don't stop doing XYZ we are not going to the park" he's caught on. You don't mean it, If you did he would be sitting in his room crying! LOL!)

Disney_Villain
05-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Anybody else prefer SSR or OKW b/c of this?

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head. This is why we bought at SSR and OKW, and want those resorts as our "most frequented" in WDW. Spread out villas and no indoor hallways reduces noice.

wheelcap
05-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Flame away if you want, but . . . here's my opinion. Too many parents today don't "parent" their children - they just "birth" their children. Like the family you noted -- Instead of teaching their kids to respect others, and MAKE the kids be quiet (this is called parenting), they just make sure the kids knew the difference between loud and quiet by pointing out that they were loud (like this helps anything.) I've been at other hotels, and have dealt with the same thing. I have absolutely no problem helping other people learn to 'parent' their kids. I'll just open the door and say "HEY, some people are trying to sleep around here; turn the noise down a bit." Maybe they'll think it's rude, but it's nowhere near as rude as letting your kids be brats and annoy everyone around them. ...'nuff said.

amystevekai&bump
05-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Flame away if you want, but . . . here's my opinion. Too many parents today don't "parent" their children - they just "birth" their children. Like the family you noted -- Instead of teaching their kids to respect others, and MAKE the kids be quiet (this is called parenting), they just make sure the kids knew the difference between loud and quiet by pointing out that they were loud (like this helps anything.) I've been at other hotels, and have dealt with the same thing. I have absolutely no problem helping other people learn to 'parent' their kids. I'll just open the door and say "HEY, some people are trying to sleep around here; turn the noise down a bit." Maybe they'll think it's rude, but it's nowhere near as rude as letting your kids be brats and annoy everyone around them. ...'nuff said.

I am glad there are still some people around like you who are brave enough to confront them :thumbsup2- Its getting more and more apparent that people are too scared to confront such parents, as they are worried about the nasty backlash you get when they don't like what you've said about their precious 'darlings'.:sad2:

Crystal_27
05-31-2009, 02:29 PM
I have absolutely no problem helping other people learn to 'parent' their kids. I'll just open the door and say "HEY, some people are trying to sleep around here; turn the noise down a bit." Maybe they'll think it's rude, but it's nowhere near as rude as letting your kids be brats and annoy everyone around them. ...'nuff said.

No flames here - - I am exactly the same way. And, what's even better is when I am able to loudly make an example to my DD (who's 5) about how unacceptable and inappropriate a child's behavior is within said child's and parent's hearing. I am the queen of passive-aggressive in those instances. :rolleyes1

jade1
05-31-2009, 02:32 PM
If its too loud for you at BWV you should stay at OKW. However our only stay at OKW was also a rainy week and it was brutal trying decide if it was good time (a pause in the rain) to go get on a bus just to get to the pool-then of course it would start raining again and, well you get the picture. At BWV we just walk out to the pool even if its a few minutes, we just walk back in. Having EPCOT close is nice during showery off and on again days at BWV as well. We left EPCOT a few times when at OKW because it was just not letting up only to get all the way back and off at our stop and you guessed it-stopped raining. No, a small chance of a little noise (although we always have a fan) at BWV is not nearly enough to to not stay there-for us anyway.

MadilynnsMomma
05-31-2009, 02:49 PM

A-MEN! I'm the same way! I'm not going to sit back and let these adults with children (note: I did not call them parents... ) ruin MY vacation that I paid MY money for! I don't know why some people just "can't" parent...

No flames here - - I am exactly the same way. And, what's even better is when I am able to loudly make an example to my DD (who's 5) about how unacceptable and inappropriate a child's behavior is within said child's and parent's hearing. I am the queen of passive-aggressive in those instances. :rolleyes1

Another A+ point! Nothing wrong with adding a little volume to your voice when making an example out of "nasty" children for your own child's sake!

-Now to the original poster - I stayed in OKW when I went with a family I nanny'd for. The children were 2,3,4 at the time, but three of the best, most well-behaved children I have ever met! Note: their mother is a parent that parents! There were other children there, but we never once ran in to any problems with noise. Just a GREAT resort! My vote goes to OKW!

jackskellingtonsgirl
05-31-2009, 03:08 PM
There was a HUGE group around the corner from us at SSR last summer. Those concrete walkways ECHO. They were coming in from the pool late one night just SHOUTING. I STORMED out of our villa and told them to BE QUIET! And I had a look that guaranteed they would be wise to comply. Didn't hear a peep from them again.

Same trip, about 3:30 AM every day some idiot would take his cell phone out on the balcony and have a lengthy LOUD conversation with somebody. The discussions were all in a foreign language, so obviously he was calling some other time zone and 3:30 AM was a reasonable hour for the person on the other end. :headache: I was not happy.

I have also had problems with kids running and screaming in the halls at AKL/V.

I am a professional nanny, so I have pretty rigid standards about the way I expect children to behave. Having said that, I do NOT think expecting children (and adults) to use common courtesy is unreasonable.

jagson
05-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Call the front desk and let them deal with the younger ones, if their parents won't. that's what they should handle (parents or the resort staff, not you). keep out of it personally, so as not to foment ill-will with your neighbors. and i'd think okw would be less populated with youngsters, since the typical okw owners are older, empty nesters; who might have grandchildren with them, and as grandparents tend to demand better behavior. just a thought.

dianeschlicht
05-31-2009, 03:17 PM

No flames from me!!! I totally agree with you, and I'll even go a step further on the "likely to be flamed" line and say we have attributed the LOUD children (and I mean SHRIEKING) to teh preponderance of day care instead of parenting themselves. At the big day care centers, the best way for a child to learn to get attention is to shriek, and you hear it all the time at Disney. It has been much more apparent in the last 5-10 years. Add to the that the fact that those "parents" no longer have learned how to parent, and you have the situation described. Maybe we can even go a generation farther back too. My generation might be at fault here too. I'm a bit of a rarity, since I stayed home with my kids in a time when most mothers were a making careers as well as being mothers. Now those kids are having kids, and two generations haven't learned how to parent!:confused3

I have no problems letting people know what's wrong if I have the opportunity. LOL, I have been known to bang a broom on the ceiling at OKW to get kids to stop bouncing super balls at 5 a.m. or banging pans on the kitchen floor at midnight.

We were at AKV concierge last year when there were 2 young boys (about 6-7) running around the halls, lobby and rope bridge at 6-7 a.m. with no parents in sight. They were "shooting" pop guns and playing pirate. I'm quite sure their parents were holed up in their room with not a care in the world. I could see all the AKL staff gritting their teeth over it too.

dr&momto2boys
05-31-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't disagree with anyone here, but as a mother of three young kids who does PARENT her children I also feel the need to point something out...

Just because you see one situation, don't assume that is how it always is. I travel extensively for business, and being a good parent, my whole family goes with (so I can nurse and be with my kids on the down time. DH takes care of them while I'm working.) 99% of the time, my kids are great. There are times though, where because of airline delays or other circumstances, the kids have already behaved better than most adults for 12 hours+ and put up with a lot of inconveniences to say the least, and have a non-perfect moment. It is my pet peeve when an adult makes a rude comment about any kids behavior when they have no idea of the circumstances that come before it. I've seen so many times that my kids have been more patient and kind than adults are. And I get furious when an adult sees one instance and assumes I have a naughty kid or I'm not parenting my kids.

I always give the parents and kids the benefit of the doubt. You never know what they might be going through. I know as a parent, I'm always embarassed and trying as hard as I can to remedy any situations where my kids are bothering anyone as fast as possible. Some adults have no patience at all for kids and they are the ones who are being inappropriate. It's easier for an adult to adapt than a child.

I'm NOT saying that applies at all to the OP's scenario. I'm saying in general, if you see one incident, don't judge. Have some compassion for a child.

dianeschlicht
05-31-2009, 03:33 PM
I don't disagree with anyone here, but as a mother of three young kids who does PARENT her children I also feel the need to point something out....

I'm NOT saying that applies at all to the OP's scenario. I'm saying in general, if you see one incident, don't judge. Have some compassion for a child.

There is no way a couple of 6-7 year olds running around playing pirate at 6-7 a.m. in the lobby and halls is a child having a bad day. It's parents not parenting. Of course all kids have bad times, but when you see one family being an issue over and over on one trip, it's more than a bad time.

dianeschlicht
05-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Just this last trip, we encountered one family at two different restaurants. It would have been just a simple annoyance once, but when we encountered the same family at a second restaurant on another night, it made us shake our heads in disbelief. If you read my trip report, you might recall my annoyance at a shrieking ( and I mean LOUD) child at Jiko when we were trying to have a nice meal at a nice white table cloth restaurant. This same family showed up at Turf Club a couple of nights later, and the shrieker could be heard all over the restaurant yet again. It became a topic of discussion among the wait staff. When I told them of our experience with these people behind us at Jiko, they realized it wasn't an accidental one time thing. Thankfully, at Turf Club, we were on the other end of the restaurant instead of right next to them, but it was still very annoying. I had no idea a child could be as loud as a howler monkey!

Laurabearz
05-31-2009, 03:43 PM
There is no way a couple of 6-7 year olds running around playing pirate at 6-7 a.m. in the lobby and halls is a child having a bad day. It's parents not parenting. Of course all kids have bad times, but when you see one family being an issue over and over on one trip, it's more than a bad time.

Meltdowns we all understand, but Diane is right, Pirates or Relay Races or any kind of loud behavior in the hallways and lobby is extremely self centered.

I have a whisper yell I do, coz ya can't yell at your kids to stop yelling :rotfl:

Oh and when we are in our rooms and we hear load noises from the hallway I tell my kids that I feel bad for any mom trying to get her baby down for a nap.

cpdwiz
05-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Ok, just got back from stay @BWV which we LOVE but now, I'm thinking OKW in Oct. is looking better & better b/c of noise. I'm an "OLD" mom of DD4 & DD7 & due to the recent storms in FL we did this trip kind of differently. We took naps around 4 in the afternoon & would go to the parks, after the storms, & stay til midnight. That said, maybe I was just more alert to the noisy people in the hallways @BWV. I had put the girls down for naps& DH was in the room & I went to get a drink.....3 YOUNG boys & their Parents, I assume, & a couple of other adults were trying to get back in their room & evidentially, had left all their keys in the room. They were waiting on one member of their party to come back from the pool & the boys were "being boys" yelling & such & all the parents said was "you boys are so LOUD" (as were they btw). This was not just one time but over the course of several days, it was the same group.

Again, not to open a can of worms here but I really try hard to tell my girls to be quite whether it's midnight or 11:00 a.m. b/c I know people are on different time zones when visiting the world. Any body else prefer SSR or OKW b/c of this?

This is the same thing we thought....We stayed at AKL and BWV, and we felt the same way....We LOVE SSR for its peaceful quiet....

ADAMANDLISA
05-31-2009, 03:47 PM
:rotfl2:I had to read your post twice, OP, to make sure it wasn't my family!!! (although we DO parent our kids:thumbsup2)

We just stayed at BWV with our 3 little boys and wouldn't you know---they gave us the 2nd to the last room all the way at the very end. The farthest rooms from the elevator.:scared1: We tried to keep our little ones quiet the whole time in those hallways, but that's virtually impossible! I will say there is an echo in there, though, and everything does sound louder. Luckily, mine were in strollers and we just pushed faster. ;)

Do those hallway's remind anyone else of "The Shining"?:scared1:

PurpleTurtle
05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Do those hallway's remind anyone else of "The Shining"?:scared1:

Eeek...that sounds scary! Redrum???

We haven't been to BWV, and maybe I'm not so anxious to visit now!

dianeschlicht
05-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Do those hallway's remind anyone else of "The Shining"?
LOL, maybe that's why OKW is still my favorite DVC! DH loves AKV, but only wants to stay CL, because he HATES the hallways!

ADAMANDLISA
05-31-2009, 06:31 PM
We just stayed at Old Key West for the first time, this past trip, and fell in love! I think it is our new favorite!:goodvibes

La2kw
05-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Actually I do find that OKW and SSR are quieter and it's due to the issues you point out.

The hallways at Disney hotels are deemed "playgrounds" where it's OK for adults and children to act out. Why this is I don't know. I travel a lot and it does not happen at other hotels. Parents also seem to think that "Thier Darling" screaming is just too cute to stop LOL! Not to mention that too many parents today use the "sceam" method to "attempt" to control their kids. (Here's a hint. If you have told Junior 10 times that "if you don't stop doing XYZ we are not going to the park" he's caught on. You don't mean it, If you did he would be sitting in his room crying! LOL!)

I agree, but I've also had issues with drunks in the hallways in Las Vegas. We go to Vegas a couple times a year and about have those trips there's at least once incident of some moron in the hallway at 2 or 3 in the morning.

La2kw
05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
OKW is always so quiet. That's one reason we really feel like we are on vacation there. Some of the hotel type resorts just feel so dang crowded to us. Especially the Epcot area ones. That's a heck of alot of people crammed into those hotels around Crescent Lake.

dianeschlicht
05-31-2009, 07:06 PM
OKW is always so [quite]. That's one reason we really feel like we are on vacation there. Some of the hotel type resorts just feel so dang crowded to us. Especially the Epcot area ones. That's a heck of alot of people crammed into those hotels around Crescent Lake.

You know, I wondered what it was that bothered me about the Epcot area hotels, and I think you nailed it! I love Epcot, but I have never been a fan of the Epcot hotels.

wulfekamp
05-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Before we joined DVC we stayed at a moderate on one trip. Ever night the people next to use made so much noise at night we could not sleep. After several calls to the desk they told us they were from out of the country and had not ajusted to the time difference. I told the CM to ajust us to a differnt room.

Goofy's apprentice
05-31-2009, 07:40 PM
I totally agree that parents need to exercise more control over their kids in the hallways. Ours are 16 and 14 and were day care kids. That didn't mean that we couldn't parent. We still taught them to be respectful of others comforts etc. It fine to enjoy yourselves but screaching and screaming in the halls (and in the rooms for that matter) is unneccessary and disturbing to others.

That also goes for the leisure (or as they used to known - quiet) pools. Again, you can have a great time with your kids without continuous screaming and shouting.

Please don't flame me, but we took advantage of the fact that we were Canadians when our kids were small. We told them that they were visitors to the United States and visitors behave respectfully when enjoying others homes. Be good 'ambassadors' for your country ! They enjoyed (and still do) every vacation in the US. This spring their little cousins came along for the first time and I could hear them explain the same to them.

Regarding general noise level, we also prefer OKW in all circumstances but one....the closeness of the hot tub at South Point to the villas. Adults can be just as noisy as kids in the middle of the night ! However, security takes good care of that situation !!!

jade1
05-31-2009, 07:41 PM
OKW is always so quite. That's one reason we really feel like we are on vacation there. Some of the hotel type resorts just feel so dang crowded to us. Especially the Epcot area ones. That's a heck of alot of people crammed into those hotels around Crescent Lake.

Nailed it for us as well-only the exact opposite. OKW was not good for us and the kids-it was all "nothing to do, nothing to eat" type stuff when we got back from a park at night. But we do like the night life and action so it did make sense.

quentina
05-31-2009, 07:41 PM

I advise you to never adopt and if you do...make sure it is an infant.

We do "parent" our kids however, our daughter was 4.5 when we got her and screamed for the first 4.5 years of her life (mainly for food, parents didn't think this was important).

It is often that we are that family....it is not by choice....believe me, you can stick your head into the hall 50 times and it would not work.

Sometimes, kids have issues that you are unaware of, I would not be so quick to judge the parents.

Really don't want to "flame", just want to share another side to the story.

Lost in Neverland
05-31-2009, 07:52 PM
We take our kids everywhere but I too am one of those "mean" parents that make their children listen. We have taught our kids from a very young age that manners and consideration of others are non negotable when we travel.I also use to point out to my kids when we saw a child running and yelling at the top of their lungs in a resturant or store how rude they were being. My kids are now 11 and 12. They will look at me and say "Boy we would be in soooo much trouble if we did that". It is sort of funny now when they do that but in turn I can see our refusung to accept bad behavior has paid off. We were at Jiko about a year ago. We got the looks when we came in with our kids but before the night was over there were at least two people stopped at our table and commented on the manners our children used. Yes it is work but anyone that thinks parenting is easy is not parenting.:rolleyes1

DVCJones
05-31-2009, 07:53 PM

I have done this so often, that my DDs age 4 and 6 now point out unacceptable behavior on their own.

I grin every time one of my DDs says "He/she is being naughty" just loud enough for the parents to hear.:rolleyes1

As much as I LOVE VWL I did notice the noise in the hallways.

Lost in Neverland
05-31-2009, 08:02 PM
I advise you to never adopt and if you do...make sure it is an infant.

We do "parent" our kids however, our daughter was 4.5 when we got her and screamed for the first 4.5 years of her life (mainly for food, parents didn't think this was important).

It is often that we are that family....it is not by choice....believe me, you can stick your head into the hall 50 times and it would not work.

Sometimes, kids have issues that you are unaware of, I would not be so quick to judge the parents.

Really don't want to "flame", just want to share another side to the story.
You are so right in this account. Both of our children were adopted at ages 2 and 3. But we found that their bad behavior was better handled with the idea that there was no reward for it. They learned that if they acted badly then there were no trips to the park or their favorite resturant but if they used manners then there were always extra trips and rewards. Our celebration at becoming a forever family was at Disney World but they were both told that in order for a reward like that to happen they had to meet us half way in the behavior department.

quentina
05-31-2009, 08:07 PM
You are so right in this account. Both of our children were adopted at ages 2 and 3. But we found that their bad behavior was better handled with the idea that there was no reward for it. They learned that if they acted badly then there were no trips to the park or their favorite resturant but if they used manners then there were always extra trips and rewards. Our celebration at becoming a forever family was at Disney World but they were both told that in order for a reward like that to happen they had to meet us half way in the behavior department.

My kids spend more time in time out than they do time in....I "think" my daughter is Bi-Polar. SHe can be content, happy one minute and then she is screaming like a lunatic. The other concern is post traumatic stress disorder...they think a manurism may set off something for her.

Counselor says she should be better by 12.....I hope I am alive to see it.

We love them...we'll keep them...just wish that they would discover their "inside voice".

5forDiz
05-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Quentina :grouphug: & blessings to you & your family.

Our children understand what behavior DH & I expect from them and that there will be consequences as a result of misbehaving but we'd NEVER speak in ' loud ' or ' loud enough ' voices as other posters here have stated to comment on what other people's kids are doing - - that is RUDE & that type of commenting on what is being observed should be discussed in a private exchange between parents & their kids ( so yes we have pointed out to our kids what another kid may be doing that's inappropriate but in a conversation between US ) - I'll prob get flamed for saying this, call us crazy but DH & I have always reinforced to our kids that just because they/we think they are 'better' in some way, ability or fashion than someone else that gives them or us absolutely no right to make another person feel awkward, etc.

May you find an endless reserve of strength within yourself as your children grow up & I hope that you'll be blessed with others nearby to lean on when you find you need :flower3:

alamode
05-31-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm a widowed dad of three small kids, a 9 yr old son and twin 5 yr old girls. When I told family, friends and coworkers that I was taking them to WDW without our nanny, to a person they all thought I was crazy.

While we all had our cranky moments throughout the week, myself included, things went amazingly well. I think it's because we live in a condominium helps when we were in the hotel, as the kids are aware that there are others possibly sleeping nearby regardless of the time of day. I know when my parents visit our place, since they've lived in a house all their lives, they sometimes forget that when the kids are just playing in their room that it might be too noisy.

Also, when we go out to restaurants, be it at Disney or here at home, I'm amazed at the number of people that come up to us and comment as to how well my kids are behaving. I'm not saying this to be patting myself on the back as a parent, after all, we all do our best, but I think it's a sad comment on today's society when common courtesy and manners aren't expected.

fla4fun
06-01-2009, 06:18 AM
You know, I think the kids are getting a bad rap here. I get a lot more upset when it's the adults who act like they don't know any better. My only really bad noise experience was all adults. I was at CR a few years ago in one of the old north wing rooms, and at 4am, a group of about 8 adults in the two rooms across the hall was preparing to check out. They were standing in the hallway talking to each other in what I consider to be "outdoor" voices, and of course, banging doors and thumping luggage. After about 20 minutes of this, I got out of bed and stuck my head out the door and told them to be quiet because people were sleeping. It was at least another 15-20 minutes before they left the hallway. When I have to check out in the early morning hours (which happens if I'm going right to work from Disney instead of going home) I always make an effort to be as silent as possible until I'm out of the parking lot.

dianeschlicht
06-01-2009, 06:28 AM
I'm a widowed dad of three small kids, a 9 yr old son and twin 5 yr old girls. When I told family, friends and coworkers that I was taking them to WDW without our nanny, to a person they all thought I was crazy.

While we all had our cranky moments throughout the week, myself included, things went amazingly well. I think it's because we live in a condominium helps when we were in the hotel, as the kids are aware that there are others possibly sleeping nearby regardless of the time of day. I know when my parents visit our place, since they've lived in a house all their lives, they sometimes forget that when the kids are just playing in their room that it might be too noisy.

Also, when we go out to restaurants, be it at Disney or here at home, I'm amazed at the number of people that come up to us and comment as to how well my kids are behaving. I'm not saying this to be patting myself on the back as a parent, after all, we all do our best, but I think it's a sad comment on today's society when common courtesy and manners aren't expected.

I applaud you!!! You sound like a wonderful dad who is dealing with a difficult situation.

I do agree that inside the rooms, many folks forget that they aren't in a house, and that others can hear the noises made on the floor or in the room. I must say though, we have had very little of this "problem" at OKW over the course of many stays. The only place I ever hear lots of noise is at the pools, and as someone else mentioned, it is occationally the adults in the hot tub that are the problem. Actually, that South Point area seems to have a bunch that is there drunk on a regular basis. I've started to think they might be off-site "guests" who wander in there on purpose because it's at the back of the resort. I've had that same problem with the hot tub at the Turtle Pond area.

Starr W.
06-01-2009, 07:04 AM

Our children understand what behavior DH & I expect from them and that there will be consequences as a result of misbehaving but we'd NEVER speak in ' loud ' or ' loud enough ' voices as other posters here have stated to comment on what other people's kids are doing - - that is RUDE & that type of commenting on what is being observed should be discussed in a private exchange between parents & their kids ( so yes we have pointed out to our kids what another kid may be doing that's inappropriate but in a conversation between US ) - I'll prob get flamed for saying this, call us crazy but DH & I have always reinforced to our kids that just because they/we think they are 'better' in some way, ability or fashion than someone else that gives them or us absolutely no right to make another person feel awkward, etc.

May you find an endless reserve of strength within yourself as your children grow up & I hope that you'll be blessed with others nearby to lean on when you find you need :flower3:

:thumbsup2, I've noticed when I've had to tell my now 8yr old if he doesn't behave we're leaving the mall, restaurant etc. the crazy looks I get from other parents, but I've I usually get positive comments from people without kids. Now my kids will raise an eyebrow and comment on other kids bad behavior(usually in quiet voice).

Now I guess we've been lucky when staying at the "hotel" style DVC's that they have been pretty quiet. When we stayed at BWV in January, for 4 days I didin't see anyone in the hall!

But then again, I go grocery shopping about 1pm on Fridays and there are always screaming babies and toddlers, who sound like they need their naps. Why go to the grocery store with a tired kid? I don't get it, as when mine were little I'd go early in the morning or after nap time.

Crystal_27
06-01-2009, 07:27 AM
They learned that if they acted badly then there were no trips to the park or their favorite resturant but if they used manners then there were always extra trips and rewards.

I think that this concept is one that many parents just can't grasp. IF YOU SAY SOMETHING TO YOUR CHILD ABOUT A POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCE, MEAN IT!!!

We stayed at a non-monorail resort for the first time this year so we had to travel by bus everywhere we went and saw some crazy stuff on the busses. However, it just floored me when a parent would say to their children "if you do XYZ one more time, we're not going to do XYZ today" and then a couple minutes later "I mean it, if you keep doing XYZ, we're not going to XYZ." Then later: "I'm serious, this time...do XYZ again..." Or, the begging - "honey, we paid a lot of money for this trip, and I want you to please please behave for mommy..." Yeah, RIGHT! The day I beg my daugther to behave is the day that I deserve to have her taken away.

These children know that there are no repercussions for their bad behavior and they know that their parents are not in control. I guarantee that if once or twice mom or dad would make good on their statement that if their child acts up they won't get to do XYZ, the child would quickly get the message that good behavior=getting to do fun stuff.

And I think this particularly applies at Disney when parents are trying to do everything the parents want to do regardless of whether their child is tired or hungry or worn out, etc. Know your children's limits and don't push them...most meltdowns happen for a reason!

is RUDE

but DH & I have always reinforced to our kids that just because they/we think they are 'better' in some way, ability or fashion than someone else that gives them or us absolutely no right to make another person feel awkward, etc.

You're right - - it IS rude, and I hate myself for not being able to restrain myself. Still, it's amazing to me, though, that every single time I've had to say something that a child's behavior immediately improves. Children want boundaries and want parental figures to guide them.

And we certainly don't think that we're better than anyone else, but I do think that parents *need* to feel awkward about letting their children act badly. 5forDiz, We can certainly agree to disagree, but that's how I feel.

When you have a child, your main focus becomes (or should become) how to raise this little person into a productive member of society. It stops being about your wants and your needs, and starts being about them. I am constantly on my DD about her behavior, but she is well-mannered, well-spoken, respectful, and polite. When she fails to be those things (as all children are at times), we find a place to sit her down and let her think about her actions until she's ready to move on. I refuse to let my DD's actions negatively impact those around me because, as a parent, my job is to see that she acts well all the time, not just when it's convenient to me. And, my belief is that if DH and I can do it, so should everyone else.

I do judge parents because I see them letting their children get away with anything they want becuase it's too much work to actually discipline them. I find that unacceptable. Period.

We also have complete strangers come up to us and praise us for DD's behavior when we are in public. I appreciate their praise, but it is a sad state of affairs that people find DD's manners and reigned-in behavior the exception rather than the rule, so much so that they feel compelled to comment on her good behavior.

And you should pat yourself on the back - - well done, Dad!

5forDiz
06-01-2009, 08:01 AM
...... but I do think that parents *need* to feel awkward about letting their children act badly. 5forDiz, We can certainly agree to disagree, but that's how I feel.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this :flower3:

When observing other's poor actions or parental inaction, yes absolutely that can be an important opportunity for any parent to reinforce with their own child the importance of good behavior etc., however, jmho HOW a parent goes about commenting or discussing another person with their child is teaching that child something too...

Lost in Neverland
06-01-2009, 08:19 AM
My kids spend more time in time out than they do time in....I "think" my daughter is Bi-Polar. SHe can be content, happy one minute and then she is screaming like a lunatic. The other concern is post traumatic stress disorder...they think a manurism may set off something for her.

Counselor says she should be better by 12.....I hope I am alive to see it.

We love them...we'll keep them...just wish that they would discover their "inside voice".
I promise it does get better. It is kinda funny now when all the other parents are complaining about normal pre teen attitudes I just smile to myself and think if they only knew. My kids are now in the place that they push their limits like any other child but compared to where we came from it is welcome. just stick with it there is a big payoff in the end.:flower3:

kim_d
06-01-2009, 08:22 AM
No flames from me!!! I totally agree with you, and I'll even go a step further on the "likely to be flamed" line and say we have attributed the LOUD children (and I mean SHRIEKING) to teh preponderance of day care instead of parenting themselves. At the big day care centers, the best way for a child to learn to get attention is to shriek, and you hear it all the time at Disney. It has been much more apparent in the last 5-10 years. Add to the that the fact that those "parents" no longer have learned how to parent, and you have the situation described. Maybe we can even go a generation farther back too. My generation might be at fault here too. I'm a bit of a rarity, since I stayed home with my kids in a time when most mothers were a making careers as well as being mothers. Now those kids are having kids, and two generations haven't learned how to parent!:confused3

I want to make sure I unserstand you....parents with children who attend daycare don't know how to parent? Really? I wasn't aware of that...I wonder what I have been doing for the last 6.5 years when I thought I was being a parent?:confused3

Also I think it is a little extreme to blame loud children on those who attend daycare. I know plenty of loud children whose mothers do stay home.

crisi
06-01-2009, 08:33 AM

The parents who try and parent are part of the problem. I see them all the time in the BWV hallways (I've been them). Kids who are four and five - in their excitement to get to the parks after their nap (or early in the morning, or still full of energy late at night) run giggling down the hallway. And it actually isn't too bad from within the room. And from behind them, moving slower, booms Dad (or a complete stranger) "Hey, you kids, BE QUIET, people are trying to sleep!" Hint for parents, if you are adding to the noise, you are not helping. You little rugrats will be past my door in a matter of seconds, you take another minute to following them up, bellowing all the way.

CMOORE185
06-01-2009, 08:37 AM

I couldn't agree with you more.

Tamar
06-01-2009, 08:39 AM
We always ask for a room "far away from the elevators" because our belief is that they are quieter. If nothing else, you don't hear the people standing at the elevator yelling down the hall that everyone should hurry up because the evelator has arrived. And, we've found that the one bedrooms have much less hall noise than the studios at BWV.

kid-at-heart
06-01-2009, 09:08 AM
There is a video shown on DocZone, http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/doczone/2008/rude/, regarding our increasing unawareness of how rude we are becoming. I teach psychology (college level), at the end of the semester I show this video to my students and we discuss behavior and how we as individuals can change it.

I grew up in a family where the motto was, "Be aware of how your behavior affects others." My daughter also has grown up with this motto and as a result is quite aware of when to be quiet and calm and when it is appropriate to be loud and active. Folks are always commenting on what a great kid we have and I tend to think of what I tell my students, "Model the behavior you want your child to have, reinforce good behaviors, correct inappropriate behaviors and with the corrections explain why it is inappropriate and what would be appropriate behavior."

Personally, I wish hotels would place signs in the hallways reminding folks to talk softly and not run or slam doors... I will get off my soapbox now. :goodvibes

robinb
06-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Again, not to open a can of worms here but I really try hard to tell my girls to be quite whether it's midnight or 11:00 a.m. b/c I know people are on different time zones when visiting the world. Any body else prefer SSR or OKW b/c of this?I'm sorry that you were woken up from your afternoon naps :(. Unfortunately, people simply don't *think* about being quiet in the daytime. They are retuning from the parks or the pools and their kids are excited ... and loud. In addition, the halls at BWV seem to concentrate the noise where normal conversations appear to be loud. I can't tell you how many times I heard families returning from a late evening at the parks in the hallways and they were not shouting or being loud. It's just the nature of the hallway.

So ... I guess I'm not going to jump on the Terrible Parent bandwagon. While I think it's rude to screech or scream at any time of day, normal loud rambunctious children in the afternoon are NORMAL.

FWIW, I would always laugh when people count "interior hallways" as a plus for Deluxe resorts for this exact noise issue.

Crystal_27
06-01-2009, 09:20 AM

When observing other's poor actions or parental inaction, yes absolutely that can be an important opportunity for any parent to reinforce with their own child the importance of good behavior etc., however, jmho HOW a parent goes about commenting or discussing another person with their child is teaching that child something too...

I see your point, Hon, I really do. :hug:

And, it's not like criticizing others' children is a practice that I do daily...or even monthly. But there have been rare occassions that I feel compelled to act, be it commenting to DD (so hopefully the parents will take notice) or by stepping in directly. Some behaviors cannot and should not be ignored...and if I see a child endangering another child or himself, you can bet that, as a parent, I'm not going to sit by and let a child hurt himself or others, even if said child's parent is turning a blind eye to their behavior. It's not like I'm all out criticizing the child, but more like "here, Honey, let me help you with that so you don't hurt yourself," or "here, Buddy, let's take you back to your parents so they don't worry about you" or (in the case when I'm speaking to my DD) "I told you no because the rules say you can't do XYZ...even though you are seeing those children do that."

Honestly, I would hope that if another parent ever saw DD doing something while I was otherwise occupied, that they would step in rather than let her hurt herself or whatever. Kids are going to try and toe the line any way (and as often) as they can; we need all the support we can get - LOL.

Also I think it is a little extreme to blame loud children on those who attend daycare. I know plenty of loud children whose mothers do stay home.

Yeah, I agree. DD's been in daycare since she was 9 months old and, believe me, her teachers don't take any flack off of any of the kiddos. Maybe perhaps in years past daycare was given a bad rap, but I think that the standards have vastly improved such that it's not a "free for all" that it once was. Daycare is now very regimented and structured...the kids don't get away with much...

dianeschlicht
06-01-2009, 09:44 AM
I want to make sure I unserstand you....parents with children who attend daycare don't know how to parent? Really? I wasn't aware of that...I wonder what I have been doing for the last 6.5 years when I thought I was being a parent?:confused3

I was making a generalization and you are putting words in my mouth as well. Just as an observation among young families I know...I see a lot of parents who become overly permissive when their children are with them. They aren't around them all day, and they try to over compensate when they are...thus being overly permissive and out of control.

I do, however, think children raised in large daycare centers tend to be loud. It's a fact of numbers. They need attention, and the only way to get it in a croweded setting like that is to be the loudest. My DD worked in a large daycare center, and it was the thing that drove her crazy and made her quit after awhile.

dianeschlicht
06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I agree. DD's been in daycare since she was 9 months old and, believe me, her teachers don't take any flack off of any of the kiddos. Maybe perhaps in years past daycare was given a bad rap, but I think that the standards have vastly improved such that it's not a "free for all" that it once was. Daycare is now very regimented and structured...the kids don't get away with much...

And your last statement is sad in a way too. I hate the thought that kids are being so regimented and structured and never really learn to be "real" kids. Maybe that's part of the problem too. When they get away from that, maybe they are trying to stretch their wings and limits, and that might be why parents are having some difficulties too.

kim_d
06-01-2009, 09:50 AM
I was making a generalization and you are putting words in my mouth as well. Just as an observation among young families I know...I see a lot of parents who become overly permissive when their children are with them. They aren't around them all day, and they try to over compensate when they are...thus being overly permissive and out of control.

I do, however, think children raised in large daycare centers tend to be loud. It's a fact of numbers. They need attention, and the only way to get it in a croweded setting like that is to be the loudest. My DD worked in a large daycare center, and it was the thing that drove her crazy and made her quit after awhile.

I am not going to argue with you, however I didn't put words in your mouth. I simply read what you posted...loud children are a symptom of daycare coupled with "THOSE PARENTS" (your quote, emphasis mine) who didn't learn how to parent. Please let me know what I miscontrued? You actually put "parents" in quotes when refering ot daycare parents...do you not think that was insulting?

So children with multiple siblings must be loud as well? They are all vying for mom's attention or children in school must be loud b/c they are trying to get a teacher's attention? My children have attended two daycare centers in their lives and neither was loud...outside voices were not tolerated inside.
ETA: Here is your post:
I totally agree with you, and I'll even go a step further on the "likely to be flamed" line and say we have attributed the LOUD children (and I mean SHRIEKING) to teh preponderance of day care instead of parenting themselves. At the big day care centers, the best way for a child to learn to get attention is to shriek, and you hear it all the time at Disney. It has been much more apparent in the last 5-10 years. Add to the that the fact that those "parents" no longer have learned how to parent, and you have the situation described

Crystal_27
06-01-2009, 10:02 AM
And your last statement is sad in a way too. I hate the thought that kids are being so regimented and structured and never really learn to be "real" kids. Maybe that's part of the problem too. When they get away from that, maybe they are trying to stretch their wings and limits, and that might be why parents are having some difficulties too.

It's not sad to me. DD gets plenty of time to run around and play, both when she's at home or at daycare. However, when the children are in the classroom setting, they are expected to follow a fairly structured day, which I believe is good for them. Don't worry yourself: my DD is as "real" a kid as they come - LOL. :rotfl::laughing:

BostonDisneyKid
06-01-2009, 10:25 AM
This thread makes me think of a situation, somewhat comical in a twisted way, which we encountered many years back while at MK, specifically at the Alien Encounter (now stitch) attraction where a young child was completely out of control. Anyone who recalls this attraction would know it was not suitbile for a 7 yo (it scared the heck out of me as an adult). Anyway, kharma took care of the situation since the parent would not...

There was a young boy I'd guess about age 7 or so who was walking up and down the exterior line at the attraction yelling and screaming and pushing his way through the crowd/line forward and backward playing with the chains/ropes. The father was on the phone the entire time and wasnt even watching this child and would call out every so often (approx 5 min intervals) and the child would push his way back through the line of people and when he got to his father he would kick him in the shin and ask what the father wanted. The father yelled at the kid to not kick him and went back to his phone call. Half of the line had comments about this child and many tried correcting him but were unsuccessful as this child was totally out of control. Anyway, the line then moved to the interior queue which is a wide open area and everyone filled in to the open spaces and the child continued to be a nuisance and was yelling and screaming and then started to kick random guests in line. I saw the child kick at least 6 different people who all tried to correct this child to no avail. The father remained on the phone and did nothing to stop or correct this child. The attendant of the line went over to the father and asked that he please gain control of his child and also informed the father that this attraction may not be suitible for such a young child. The father half listening to the attendant and continuing his phone conversation said to the attendant "I paid good money to be here and my child can do any ride he wants". A few other patrons also said something to the guy about the attraction being scarey and not something a child would like and the guy basically kept telling people to mind their own business and dont try to parent his child. So the line progresses in to the pre show where the banisters are at the split level and the child continues harassing people, yelling out and kicked a few more people. One child kicked him back and got scolded for doing so by their parent and the child who was being scolded said somehting like, "but ma, that kid keeps kicking everyone and he doesnt get in trouble" and the child was whispered to by the parent who eyes opened wide and who quickly apologized to the other child (who had kicked him first).

Now the father is still is on the phone while the pre show is going and another attendant came over and asked that he end his phone call as he was disrupting the other guests and finally the guy got off the phone and yelled for his son to come back to him. The kid weaved his was back to the father and upon getting to him, punched him in the family jewels and the father doubled over and yelled at the kid. The attendant (as well as all the guests who had long been fed up) laughed and some yelled out "kharma gets ya every time". So as this guy is doubled over another attendant came up to him and informed him that this attraction wasnt suitible for such a young child and the father basically said for the attendant and everyone else to mind their own business that his child was going on this ride because he paid good money to come here.

So the pre shows ends and we go into the main attraction area where Alien Encounter takes place. The child and his father just so happen to sit about 4 seats down from my family. No sooner do the lights go and the affects start up that this kid begins to scream bloody murder, that he is afraid of the dark and please stop the ride. The attraction continues and this kid is fearing for his life at this point and is totally freaking out and the father is screaming for help. The attraction continues without being stopped and when it finally ends the room goes silent with the exception of the child crying and the father trying to comfort the kid to no end. The lights went on the child was curled up on a ball on the seat crying like there is no tomorrow and the entire crowd began to cheer and clap, not for the ride but because the father and child finally got what was coming to them. Many, many, many comments were made to the father as people exited the ride with some chanting "kharma, kharma, kharma" as they left the attraction.

I think we all felt bad for the kid but he and his father defeinatly had something coming to them by means of payback for the behavior they had both displayed. The child was totally out of control and the father was worse. Again, it may sound mean but they definately had it coming.

robinb
06-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I think we all felt bad for the kid but he and his father defeinatly had something coming to them by means of payback for the behavior they had both displayed. The child was totally out of control and the father was worse. Again, it may sound mean but they definately had it coming.
It certainly doesn't sound like you felt bad for the kid since you related the story in such delicious detail about what a brat the kid was and then how scared he was. It sounds like to me that there was more going on than just a bratty kid ... like the kid could not control his actions for one reason or another. Of course the father should have been paying more attention to his child and the the warnings but the CHILD did not "have it coming" :sad2:.

kid-at-heart
06-01-2009, 10:43 AM
"kharma, kharma, kharma" as they left the attraction.

Yes, "Kharma". I am sad you (or anyone) had to be exposed to such bad behavior, on both the child's and the father's part.

cjs123123
06-01-2009, 10:48 AM
noise or not... BOARDWALK see you tomorrow!!!! Cant wait to get out of here and be on vacation.... if people would gripe about everything in the world that goes wrong then people would never be happy....

eliza61
06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
I'll be on the side of some of the parents. These guys are probably very good parents guys, I'm willing to bet that for a lot of them it's their first time so they may be a lot more permissive than normal.
A previous poster is right, I have seen some behaviour at the world that I never see at other hotels.
I just think the pixie dust brings out way more excitement and overload than in a lot of other places.

I've found a simple gentle, friendly reminder usually does wonders.

irunnoft
06-01-2009, 10:56 AM

This reminds me of our trip to the Wilderness Lodge two summers ago. It was our first time at the lodge and we loved it. Two days before we were to check out, the room next to us apparently became populated by teens. I'm guessing that the family booked two adjoining rooms. Anyhow, it was the middle of the day and my wife and I were enjoying our coffee on our 6th floor balcony. The kids had been getting progressively noiser when all of a sudden the sliding glass door slammed open and one or two of the boys rushed out onto their balcony next door and screamed at the top of their lungs "LOOK AT THE RABBIT!" They continued going in and out and screaming several times. I got the idea that they were doing this as people were walking on the courtyard pathway below them. I guess it was to freak out whomever was walking. I called the Front Desk and that netted nothing that I could discern. Fifteen minutes later and they were still acting like total idiots so I went over and banged - NOT knocked - on the door. I heard them all get quiet and I could tell somebody was coming to look through the peep hole. I stepped back so they could see that I didn't work for the hotel. I heard one girl say to somebody "It's some guy". I said quite loudly "Yeah, it's some guy. The guy who is in the room next to you. You all need to KNOCK IT OFF!" I also told them that I had called the Front Desk and reported them. Not so much as another peep outta them after that. They were quiet like church mice for at least the rest of the duration of our stay in the lodge.

irunnoft
06-01-2009, 11:05 AM
This thread makes me think of a situation, somewhat comical in a twisted way, which we encountered many years back while at MK, specifically at the Alien Encounter (now stitch) attraction where a young child was completely out of control. Anyone who recalls this attraction would know it was not suitbile for a 7 yo (it scared the heck out of me as an adult). Anyway, kharma took care of the situation since the parent would not...

There was a young boy I'd guess about age 7 or so who was walking up and down the exterior line at the attraction yelling and screaming and pushing his way through the crowd/line forward and backward playing with the chains/ropes. The father was on the phone the entire time and wasnt even watching this child and would call out every so often (approx 5 min intervals) and the child would push his way back through the line of people and when he got to his father he would kick him in the shin and ask what the father wanted. The father yelled at the kid to not kick him and went back to his phone call. Half of the line had comments about this child and many tried correcting him but were unsuccessful as this child was totally out of control. Anyway, the line then moved to the interior queue which is a wide open area and everyone filled in to the open spaces and the child continued to be a nuisance and was yelling and screaming and then started to kick random guests in line. I saw the child kick at least 6 different people who all tried to correct this child to no avail. The father remained on the phone and did nothing to stop or correct this child. The attendant of the line went over to the father and asked that he please gain control of his child and also informed the father that this attraction may not be suitible for such a young child. The father half listening to the attendant and continuing his phone conversation said to the attendant "I paid good money to be here and my child can do any ride he wants". A few other patrons also said something to the guy about the attraction being scarey and not something a child would like and the guy basically kept telling people to mind their own business and dont try to parent his child. So the line progresses in to the pre show where the banisters are at the split level and the child continues harassing people, yelling out and kicked a few more people. One child kicked him back and got scolded for doing so by their parent and the child who was being scolded said somehting like, "but ma, that kid keeps kicking everyone and he doesnt get in trouble" and the child was whispered to by the parent who eyes opened wide and who quickly apologized to the other child (who had kicked him first).

Now the father is still is on the phone while the pre show is going and another attendant came over and asked that he end his phone call as he was disrupting the other guests and finally the guy got off the phone and yelled for his son to come back to him. The kid weaved his was back to the father and upon getting to him, punched him in the family jewels and the father doubled over and yelled at the kid. The attendant (as well as all the guests who had long been fed up) laughed and some yelled out "kharma gets ya every time". So as this guy is doubled over another attendant came up to him and informed him that this attraction wasnt suitible for such a young child and the father basically said for the attendant and everyone else to mind their own business that his child was going on this ride because he paid good money to come here.

So the pre shows ends and we go into the main attraction area where Alien Encounter takes place. The child and his father just so happen to sit about 4 seats down from my family. No sooner do the lights go and the affects start up that this kid begins to scream bloody murder, that he is afraid of the dark and please stop the ride. The attraction continues and this kid is fearing for his life at this point and is totally freaking out and the father is screaming for help. The attraction continues without being stopped and when it finally ends the room goes silent with the exception of the child crying and the father trying to comfort the kid to no end. The lights went on the child was curled up on a ball on the seat crying like there is no tomorrow and the entire crowd began to cheer and clap, not for the ride but because the father and child finally got what was coming to them. Many, many, many comments were made to the father as people exited the ride with some chanting "kharma, kharma, kharma" as they left the attraction.

It's stories like these that warm the very cockels of my heart. Thanks for sharing! :cloud9:

Crystal_27
06-01-2009, 12:03 PM
It sounds like to me that there was more going on than just a bratty kid ... like the kid could not control his actions for one reason or another. Of course the father should have been paying more attention to his child and the the warnings but the CHILD did not "have it coming" :sad2:.

If the kid really and truly was unable to control his actions, then Daddy should have been off the cell phone doing the best he could with the kid; certainly not allowing him the freedom to continue kick people. That's unacceptable in any setting and there is absolutely no argument anyone can make to the contrary. A good parent would have saw the first kick fly and immediately removed the child from the line or from the park, apologizing profusely to the person whom his child kicked.

There's no excuse for a kid to ever have the freedom to terrorize another child or adult, and certainly not under the "watchful" eye of not only his parent but other adults!

Fifteen minutes later and they were still acting like total idiots so I went over and banged - NOT knocked - on the door. I heard them all get quiet and I could tell somebody was coming to look through the peep hole. I stepped back so they could see that I didn't work for the hotel. I heard one girl say to somebody "It's some guy". I said quite loudly "Yeah, it's some guy. The guy who is in the room next to you. You all need to KNOCK IT OFF!" I also told them that I had called the Front Desk and reported them. Not so much as another peep outta them after that. They were quiet like church mice for at least the rest of the duration of our stay in the lodge.

Again, it all goes back to the fact that children want/need direction. I say BRAVO to you for taking matters into your own hands. [If there was a clapping smiley I would insert it here, but I guess this will do...] :cheer2:

robinb
06-01-2009, 12:29 PM
If the kid really and truly was unable to control his actions, then Daddy should have been off the cell phone doing the best he could with the kid; certainly not allowing him the freedom to continue kick people. That's unacceptable in any setting and there is absolutely no argument anyone can make to the contrary. A good parent would have saw the first kick fly and immediately removed the child from the line or from the park, apologizing profusely to the person whom his child kicked.

There's no excuse for a kid to ever have the freedom to terrorize another child or adult, and certainly not under the "watchful" eye of not only his parent but other adults!
Did you read what I said? I agree with you and I said the father should have been paying more attention! I objected to the glee in which the story was related (and applauded by others!) that a 7-year old got his comeuppance by having the crap scared out of him by Alien Encounter. Especially when it appears to me that the 7-year old may have behavior issues beyond just being a brat. And even if he was just a bratty kid, he still didn't deserve to be terrified like that.

DisneyBrideToni
06-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I can see if the kids are having a fit and crying and screaming. Sometimes it's hard for the parents to calm down the kids. That is understandable. Sometimes there are kids with disabilities and they might be screaming. That is also understandable.

What I don't understand is if a kid is screaming and yelling in a hallway of a hotel why there are some parents that just don't pay attention OR think it's funny or cute.

Yesterday I was in wal-mart and there was this kid standing in the middle of the aisles just screaming for no reason. Just screaming. The mother didn't pay attention to him but when she did she said "oh you are so silly" and that was it. The kid continued screaming the entire 2 hours I was in Wal-mart. That is what I don't understand.

That being said, usually I have seen some very well behaved children in WDW. Especially after spending the long day in the hot sun. That could make anyone cranky.

dianeschlicht
06-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I truly do feel sorry for that poor child at Alien Encounter. That parent was certainly not showing good parenting skills, and that poor child must have been frieghtened to death.

We were at Finding Nemo the Musical once where a child behind us was screaming and crying as soon as the show started. The child was about 3 and was terrified both of the dark and also the huge characters in the show. Several people kept looking back at them, and I politely asked if they wanted to take her out. I was blasted by the parent to mind my own business. I just felt so awful for that child, and frankly, for all those around her. She was obviously scared out of her mind. The parent finally did take the child out, but not until several others suggested it.

irunnoft
06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
The kid continued screaming the entire 2 hours I was in Wal-mart. That is what I don't understand.

That's when you should've run up and shoved a corn dog in it's mouth! :rotfl:

I'm kidding. . .

sort of. . .

irunnoft
06-01-2009, 12:48 PM
3 words: License to breed!

DisneyBrideToni
06-01-2009, 12:49 PM
That's when you should've run up and shoved a corn dog in it's mouth! :rotfl:

I'm kidding. . .

sort of. . .

:rotfl2::rotfl2: That would have been fun. I probably would have been punched by the mother but it still would be funny. :rotfl2:

dianeschlicht
06-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Getting back on topic, hotel rooms and unsupervised children running around yelling in them. I remember when we were in CL at AKV and those kids were running, screaming and playing "Pirate" in the halls, lobby and rope bridge early in the morning, that the staff obviously wanted to do something about it, but their hands appeared to be tied. That says to me that they are specifically directed NOT to stop things like that.

irunnoft
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
:rotfl2::rotfl2: That would have been fun. I probably would have been punched by the mother but it still would be funny. :rotfl2:

I know. . . right?!!!! :rotfl: It's not like it would be hard to find a corn dog at Wal-Mart either!! :lmao:

irunnoft
06-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Getting back on topic, hotel rooms and unsupervised children running around yelling in them. I remember when we were in CL at AKV and those kids were running, screaming and playing "Pirate" in the halls, lobby and rope bridge early in the morning, that the staff obviously wanted to do something about it, but their hands appeared to be tied. That says to me that they are specifically directed NOT to stop things like that.

All I can say is that better not happen when I'm at AKL. I'm not one to go out of my way to correct other people's children, but when certain situations merit it and nothing is being done. . .

BostonDisneyKid
06-01-2009, 01:26 PM
It certainly doesn't sound like you felt bad for the kid since you related the story in such delicious detail about what a brat the kid was and then how scared he was. It sounds like to me that there was more going on than just a bratty kid ... like the kid could not control his actions for one reason or another. Of course the father should have been paying more attention to his child and the the warnings but the CHILD did not "have it coming"

RobinB - I was being sarcastic... Neither I, nor anyone who was forced to deal with this ignorant child (and father), felt one ounce of sympathy as this child was a spollied rotten brat. The father had no intention of parenting (or disciplining) this child (ever) which was blatently obvious. To try to rationilize it as anything but malicious, unacceptable (by both the child and the father) and ignorant behavior is ridiculous. Had you been there and experienced this first hand, I think you (or anyone of sane mind) would agree that this was simply a case of a spolied rotten child who was in charge of the parent and we were all glad to see it come full circle (kharma).

5forDiz
06-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Crystal, fwiw I don't disagree with what you state in the following or the approach :

...and if I see a child endangering another child or himself, you can bet that, as a parent, I'm not going to sit by and let a child hurt himself or others, even if said child's parent is turning a blind eye to their behavior. It's not like I'm all out criticizing the child, but more like "here, Honey, let me help you with that so you don't hurt yourself," or "here, Buddy, let's take you back to your parents so they don't worry about you" or (in the case when I'm speaking to my DD) "I told you no because the rules say you can't do XYZ...even though you are seeing those children do that."

Honestly, I would hope that if another parent ever saw DD doing something while I was otherwise occupied, that they would step in rather than let her hurt herself or whatever.......

....what you point out above is not same as what you've stated here

.........And, what's even better is when I am able to loudly make an example to my DD (who's 5) about how unacceptable and inappropriate a child's behavior is within said child's and parent's hearing........

Overall I get where you're coming from, I know you're a good person

......All I can say is that better not happen when I'm at AKL. I'm not one to go out of my way to correct other people's children, but when certain situations merit it and nothing is being done. . ....

ita this situation would call for that....Diane said these childrent were quite young & their parents were no where to be seen :sad2:

robinb
06-01-2009, 01:56 PM
...we were all glad to see it come full circle (kharma).Said by someone WITHOUT kids. It makes me sick that you got such a big kick out of that child's terror :sad2:.

Starr W.
06-01-2009, 02:00 PM

Hmm, we were at Marriott's Summit Watch last summer and there were about 10 kids running around our floor playing, screaming in the halls, running the elevator up and down.

This went on for a day, I stopped at the front desk and gave them the specifics. No more kids taking elevator rides or running in the halls.

DisneyBrideToni
06-01-2009, 02:39 PM

See now that is messed up. I would be annoyed by that. I can't believe the kids were unsupervised! I mean it's Disney but kids can still get kidnapped or hurt very easily.

crisi
06-01-2009, 02:53 PM
RobinB - I was being sarcastic... Neither I, nor anyone who was forced to deal with this ignorant child (and father), felt one ounce of sympathy as this child was a spollied rotten brat. The father had no intention of parenting (or disciplining) this child (ever) which was blatently obvious. To try to rationilize it as anything but malicious, unacceptable (by both the child and the father) and ignorant behavior is ridiculous. Had you been there and experienced this first hand, I think you (or anyone of sane mind) would agree that this was simply a case of a spolied rotten child who was in charge of the parent and we were all glad to see it come full circle (kharma).

How do you know that? Perhaps "Dad" wasn't "Dad" at all - but stepdad and the kid had been (and was continuing to be) victimized by a contentious divorce? Perhaps the kid did have sensory issues. My daughter goes to school with two little girls, both with an entire suite of 'issues' and both with parents who seem - problematic. In one case Mom left when she was four, showed up again when she was five, rehab involved. Mom comes and goes, alternately spoiling her and ignoring her - and Dad is more interested in his girlfriend. That one you CAN - to some extent, blame poor parenting, but since there is also mental illness involved, its more complicated than that. In the other case the little girl's brother died of cancer last year - after a five year long struggle - and the whole family is a dysfuctional mess - with some good reasons.

I'm always amazed at the ability of Disers to be able to be exposed to a family for fifteen minutes in line and be able to be able to identify exactly what has gone wrong within the family unit accurately. We seem to know when its poor parenting and not autism or sensory disorder. We seem to know when a kid is a brat and not that a perfectly normal kid just didn't reach his limit for the day without warning. We apparently are all in the wrong profession, since we'd all make such efficient social workers, school psychologists and family therapists.

BWV Dreamin
06-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Hmm, we were at Marriott's Summit Watch last summer and there were about 10 kids running around our floor playing, screaming in the halls, running the elevator up and down.

This went on for a day, I stopped at the front desk and gave them the specifics. No more kids taking elevator rides or running in the halls.

You go girl!!:thumbsup2

BWV Dreamin
06-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Haven't got through this whole thread yet, but one very quick and probably controversial comment. I raised three boys, even one with ADD....and the crack of the butt won every time we had behavior issues. They are well adjusted adults, tax paying citizens. Sorry, this type of punishment needs to
be re-instituted.

robinb
06-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Haven't got through this whole thread yet, but one very quick and probably controversial comment. I raised three boys, even one with ADD....and the crack of the butt won every time we had behavior issues. They are well adjusted adults, tax paying citizens. Sorry, this type of punishment needs to
be re-instituted.But it doesn't work with all children. It never worked with my DD. Every kid is different.

BWV Dreamin
06-01-2009, 03:48 PM
But it doesn't work with all children. It never worked with my DD. Every kid is different.

This only works with young children. If there are still issues at later ages, obviously intervention is needed.

Tara
06-01-2009, 04:24 PM
i'm always amazed at the ability of disers to be able to be exposed to a family for fifteen minutes in line and be able to be able to identify exactly what has gone wrong within the family unit accurately. We seem to know when its poor parenting and not autism or sensory disorder. We seem to know when a kid is a brat and not that a perfectly normal kid just didn't reach his limit for the day without warning. We apparently are all in the wrong profession, since we'd all make such efficient social workers, school psychologists and family therapists.

well said.

DVCJones
06-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Letting children run through the halls is very unsafe. Even at Disney, some nut could grab your child and pull them into their room.

I know....Call me a Nervous Nelly, but I do think about these things.

crisi
06-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Letting children run through the halls is very unsafe. Even at Disney, some nut could grab your child and pull them into their room.

I know....Call me a Nervous Nelly, but I do think about these things.

I'm going to spend my time worried about higher risk things. How many children run through the hallways of hotels every day around the world and how many of them have been pulled into a hotel room? On the other hand, how many of them have been killed running after a ball into the street, on a bike or skateboard, drown in a pool? How many are injured doing sports? How many of them get beat up or harassed by the bully at school? How many of them end up doing drugs or engaging in unsafe sex? For that matter, how many of them are abused by people they know?

Starr W.
06-01-2009, 07:36 PM
How do you know that? Perhaps "Dad" wasn't "Dad" at all - but stepdad and the kid had been (and was continuing to be) victimized by a contentious divorce? Perhaps the kid did have sensory issues. My daughter goes to school with two little girls, both with an entire suite of 'issues' and both with parents who seem - problematic. In one case Mom left when she was four, showed up again when she was five, rehab involved. Mom comes and goes, alternately spoiling her and ignoring her - and Dad is more interested in his girlfriend. That one you CAN - to some extent, blame poor parenting, but since there is also mental illness involved, its more complicated than that. In the other case the little girl's brother died of cancer last year - after a five year long struggle - and the whole family is a dysfuctional mess - with some good reasons.

I'm always amazed at the ability of Disers to be able to be exposed to a family for fifteen minutes in line and be able to be able to identify exactly what has gone wrong within the family unit accurately. We seem to know when its poor parenting and not autism or sensory disorder. We seem to know when a kid is a brat and not that a perfectly normal kid just didn't reach his limit for the day without warning. We apparently are all in the wrong profession, since we'd all make such efficient social workers, school psychologists and family therapists.

:thumbsup2, as a parent of an Aspie, and a typical child who just likes to push the limits of my patience at times(aka Matt the Brat at times).

Starr W.
06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
You go girl!!:thumbsup2

What are you doing on here? Shouldn't you be enjoying a pool drink at VWL?

May have something interesting for you on Tuesday. If it's a go you'll:rotfl2:

quentina
06-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I can see if the kids are having a fit and crying and screaming. Sometimes it's hard for the parents to calm down the kids. That is understandable. Sometimes there are kids with disabilities and they might be screaming. That is also understandable.

What I don't understand is if a kid is screaming and yelling in a hallway of a hotel why there are some parents that just don't pay attention OR think it's funny or cute.

Yesterday I was in wal-mart and there was this kid standing in the middle of the aisles just screaming for no reason. Just screaming. The mother didn't pay attention to him but when she did she said "oh you are so silly" and that was it. The kid continued screaming the entire 2 hours I was in Wal-mart. That is what I don't understand.

That being said, usually I have seen some very well behaved children in WDW. Especially after spending the long day in the hot sun. That could make anyone cranky.

As a parent of a screamer...the counselor tells us that the worst thing we can do is acknowledge it....we are to ignore and go about business, no eye contact, no attention, nothing!

If there is a miracle cure...I want it....I just spent the last hours crying to my mom on the phone because we can't get through to our daughter.

The Dr's have wanted to medicate her since she came to live with us and prior when she was with a foster family. I have surrendered...I am calling for an appointment tomorrow.

We were sure that we would be able to help her without meds....I think I would rather her scream than be a zombie.

There is obviously some sort of chemical imbalance going on, hopefully the dr's can help.

BWV Dreamin
06-01-2009, 07:59 PM
As a parent of a screamer...the counselor tells us that the worst thing we can do is acknowledge it....we are to ignore and go about business, no eye contact, no attention, nothing!

If there is a miracle cure...I want it....I just spent the last hours crying to my mom on the phone because we can't get through to our daughter.

The Dr's have wanted to medicate her since she came to live with us and prior when she was with a foster family. I have surrendered...I am calling for an appointment tomorrow.

We were sure that we would be able to help her without meds....I think I would rather her scream than be a zombie.

There is obviously some sort of chemical imbalance going on, hopefully the dr's can help.
There is plenty of help out there for you......let them help you. Think of it this way...maybe she is screaming for help too. Like everything else, meds are trial and error (I went through this with my ADD son). Once you get the right medication, the right dose, the right therapy, the right doctor, everyone's life will start to turn around. Know that you are not alone ....keep the faith.

quentina
06-01-2009, 08:02 PM
On the topic of worrying about someone grabbing a child....last year when we were at VWL in a 2 bedroom, my 4 year old mistook the exit door as a bedroom or restroom and walked into the hall. The door locked behind him.

My husband heard the door and thought it was me coming in from the gift shop.

It took him about 30 seconds to realize it was Antonio.

He opened the door and started yelling for him..he had run down the hall by now.

We were very lucky...a couple was walking down the hall, heard my husband screaming and brought my son back towards my hubby.

Now, we have learned many things that trip:

1. Losing a child is bound to end in excessive fighting and threats of divorce.fl2:
2. ALWAYS...even in the daytime..is you have small kids...use that metal locking device that the kids can't reach.
3. There really are nice people to care and look out for others.

We were lucky.....

quentina
06-01-2009, 08:06 PM
There is plenty of help out there for you......let them help you. Think of it this way...maybe she is screaming for help too. Like everything else, meds are trial and error (I went through this with my ADD son). Once you get the right medication, the right dose, the right therapy, the right doctor, everyone's life will start to turn around. Know that you are not alone ....keep the faith.

Thanks...I needed that...I am an emotional mess tonight. It is amazing, I can cry without trying...tears just keep streaming down my cheeks even though I feel OK (I have been reading the DIS for the past hour).:hug:

bobbiwoz
06-01-2009, 08:17 PM

:grouphug:Best wishes to you!
Bobbi

DVCJones
06-01-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm going to spend my time worried about higher risk things. How many children run through the hallways of hotels every day around the world and how many of them have been pulled into a hotel room? On the other hand, how many of them have been killed running after a ball into the street, on a bike or skateboard, drown in a pool? How many are injured doing sports? How many of them get beat up or harassed by the bully at school? How many of them end up doing drugs or engaging in unsafe sex? For that matter, how many of them are abused by people they know?

It happens...it all can happen...as parents we can't take steps to prevent what you can and hope for the best. Letting your child run through the halls unsupervised can only increase your chances. You wouldn't leave a young child alone to play in a pool....don't leave them to play in the halls. :confused3

BroganMc
06-01-2009, 09:33 PM

How about said kids deciding it is "cool" to climb the railings like "real" hallway pirates and plummetting to their demise? Or hopping the elevator and forgetting what floor they're on to get lost somewhere in the resort. Lots of nooks and crannies to discover for a kid and danger to encounter in the maintenance areas.

I'm an old fashioned type. I'm just not comfortable leaving kids under the age of 12 to their own devices. I remember being 9-10 and really stupid. Nearly set the house (and me) on fire cooking hot dogs in the toaster oven; wandering the hallways of my school after closing when I waited for my mom to pick me up after work (those dark and scary maintenance areas are like magnets). Then there came the teen years when being left alone invited the opportunity to experiment with alcohol, drugs and sex. If I wasn't raised Catholic and therefore had a fear of disppointing God I could have gotten into a lot more trouble.

But I do agree, it's easy to judge and hard to understand. I'm a boisterous person and have found my voice carry far more than I expected in a hallway. Even the concrete hallways of SSR. Sometimes you are caught in a bad moment.

The one good thing about SSR is the sound-proofing in the rooms. With the doors closed, you are in a cone of silence. Last month my cousin slept in several days and had the drapes closed as well. At 11am I woke up and thought it was 4am it was so dark and quiet.

maburke
06-01-2009, 09:40 PM
We seem to know when its poor parenting and not autism or sensory disorder.

Well said. Thanks. I often find myself correcting my kids in public in a conventional way, which I know will do no good at all except to perhaps diffuse the frustration of the adults around me, who will know that I'm trying.

I guess that balances Crystal's approach of talking to her daughter but really telling the other parent that the behavior is unacceptable; I'm talking to my child but really telling the other parents that I KNOW the behavior is unacceptable! :)

crisi
06-01-2009, 09:51 PM
It happens...it all can happen...as parents we can't take steps to prevent what you can and hope for the best. Letting your child run through the halls unsupervised can only increase your chances. You wouldn't leave a young child alone to play in a pool....don't leave them to play in the halls. :confused3

I didn't say I did. My kids are older now, but I didn't leave them unsupervised in the halls - but not because someone might grab them. Because I needed to make sure they weren't noisy. Small children shouldn't be unsupervised, not because people will grab them (which is a small concern) but because small children have almost no common sense - and will take the elevator without waiting for you with no idea which floor the room is on.

amystevekai&bump
06-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Well said. Thanks. I often find myself correcting my kids in public in a conventional way, which I know will do no good at all except to perhaps diffuse the frustration of the adults around me, who will know that I'm trying.

I guess that balances Crystal's approach of talking to her daughter but really telling the other parent that the behavior is unacceptable; I'm talking to my child but really telling the other parents that I KNOW the behavior is unacceptable! :)

This is me too!!:goodvibes I often used to find myself publicly disciplining my son for the benefit of those watching!! (I know that for my son the best way to deal with him is to (where safe) ignore him, but I don't want other adults to think I am condoning his behaviour or that I am a 'bad' parent, so I do 'deal' with it - even though it doesn't really work!!:lmao:)

Anthony1971
06-02-2009, 12:19 PM
My 3 year old for the most part behaves very well....
There are times he does not.... do we like it.... no
I have learned:
in some cases to let it pass as picking him up, talking, yelling etc will only make it worse and we will have a crying screaming child.
Cranky they will be sometimes as you can not force a child to sleep
My then 2 1/2 year old can open the top latch.... He will find something to stand on from the closet.
I will never leave my child unattended --I do get preocupied with other things sometimes hopefully for a very brief time and find him doing something he should not which is corrected.
If somone were to correct my parenting skills which has not happened in the 5times he has been to Disney as for the most part he is good I would not get upset but gladly give you him and watch him Kick and spit at you all while yelling louder as 3 year olds do. He will however say he is sorry and hug 2 minutes later without being prompted as he knows it is wrong.
He is well parented but will have fits that and bad moments are sometimes better left alone as they are short lived.
Most posts here seem to be about extremes but some are just Kids being Kids and while some may think they are better parent or just know better than a parent period it may just be the parent of that child know better than you how to corrcet their childs behavior. :thumbsup2

kitsch4
06-02-2009, 03:08 PM

I absolutely agree!

DonnaL
06-03-2009, 09:03 AM
I have to agree with the above poster who states "room farthest from elevator are quieter". We have always found this to be the case also.........I guess it's a tradeoff.......closer to elevator...expect some noise. When we stay at BWV one of our favorite room areas is on the canal side of the hallway which is directly over the old DVC models on the Boardwalk right in back of Jellyrolls........a VERY LONG walk from the elevator, however, probably one of the quietest I've ever stayed at any DVC resort..........I even commented to DH on our last stay about how new the carpeting in that area of the hallway appears....compared to the same carpeting closer to elevators.......sure, the only people walking in that direction are the guests staying there!!!!

wintergreen
06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
No flames from me!!! I totally agree with you, and I'll even go a step further on the "likely to be flamed" line and say we have attributed the LOUD children (and I mean SHRIEKING) to teh preponderance of day care instead of parenting themselves. At the big day care centers, the best way for a child to learn to get attention is to shriek, and you hear it all the time at Disney. It has been much more apparent in the last 5-10 years. Add to the that the fact that those "parents" no longer have learned how to parent, and you have the situation described. Maybe we can even go a generation farther back too. My generation might be at fault here too. I'm a bit of a rarity, since I stayed home with my kids in a time when most mothers were a making careers as well as being mothers. Now those kids are having kids, and two generations haven't learned how to parent!:

Ok, I usually try to contain myself when I read these kinds of threads, but this is pretty condescending. I'm pretty sure I learned how to be a parent, even if my kids were in daycare. How about the working dads? Did they not learn to be parents, either? Wow!

DVCJones
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Ok, I usually try to contain myself when I read these kinds of threads, but this is pretty condescending. I'm pretty sure I learned how to be a parent, even if my kids were in daycare. How about the working dads? Did they not learn to be parents, either? Wow!

Yeah, I chose to ignore this one too. I didn't even want to go "there."