PDA

View Full Version : Small Vent

disneyfav4ever
05-31-2009, 01:06 PM
This isn't so much about restaurants / ADR planning, as it is a vent, so I wasn't sure to post it here on the CB, so mods feel free to move it if it should be on the CB, but. . .

My next trip to Disney will not be solo, as I'm going with two other people. We agreed to start planning it, and since we have the dining plan, I've been making lists of restaurants I think we should consider, as well as other stuff.

But, my travel companions have no interest in reading reviews or looking at menus, etc, yet they want a say in where we eat. I wouldn't mind that if they knew anything about the restaurants, and knew what they were talking about, but, they don't. The last time either of them were at Disney was over ten years ago, and they think we should base decisions on where to eat on what we like, and just at the last minute.

The last minute thing will not work since we'll be going during free dining, and ADR's will be needed. And while I do think they should have some say in where we should eat, I think it should only be after they do some research. Plus, I am taking their likes and dislikes into consideration while I'm making up demo plans, so I would hope that they would know to trust my judgement on what's good, and what's not so good.

disneyfav4ever
05-31-2009, 01:07 PM
They also say I plan "too soon." But what is too soon? :confused3 ADRs can be made 90 days in advance.

oybolshoi
05-31-2009, 01:42 PM
I hear ya sistah! We've got some relatives coming with us in October for a few days and they want to eat at certain places but don't want to make reservations in case they "change their minds" on that day. :rolleyes:

I've told them they have two choices:

1) make ADRS and then cancel on any given day if their stomachs change their minds, or

2) eat counter service and crappy corn dogs

Jay and I will have ADRs ... I don't know about the nephie and his wife if they're not dining with us. :laughing:

Tough love ... that's what I call it. :thumbsup2

disneyfav4ever
05-31-2009, 01:46 PM
One of the people I'm traveling with doesn't even want to go to Disney, LOL. We're doing a split stay between Disney and Universal, and she's already said that she plans to take a taxi from Pop every morning to Universal while we're in Disney. I told her fine, we'd make use of her credits. ;)

If she does do that though, the other person I'm traveling with will probably be more agreeable anyway. Won't be so happy about some OOP meals I want to try, but he really likes seafood, so I'm hoping to at least talk him into Blue Zoo. I was also hoping to talk Universal-person into Blue Zoo too, since she thinks she's the next Top Chef, :rolleyes: and Todd English has previously been a guest judge on that show.

chloelovesdisney
05-31-2009, 01:49 PM
It is hard to travel with people. If you know them well, make ADR's that you know everyone will like. I would, at the very least, make ADR's for myself knowing that everyplace will most likely be booked during free dining. If you get there, and walk ups are doable, then you can always cancel the ADR's.

shellybaxter
05-31-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm with you on the "never too soon" to plan part. It is necessary at Disney if you want to eat table service. However, I think people can choose restaurants simply based on what they want to eat - want steak - book a steak restaurant - want italian - book an italian restaurant. Its what the majority of Disney visitors due. Most don't do a lot of research

dr&momto2boys
05-31-2009, 03:39 PM
It is difficult!

TRY to tell them about how none of the restaurants will have openings (certainly not at desirable times) because of free dining. ADRs is just what you HAVE to do these days or dining will be a nightmare and suck up time and spoil your trip. In an effort to make it easy for them and to give them input, hand them copies of a list of restaurants in each park or resort that is applicable to your stay. Even print out menus so they can see that is desirable to them. All of this can be found on www . allears . net. Agree on making ADRs "just in case" and switching while you're at the park if they want something else and it's available. (Of course canceling your ADR if you do.)

That's what we did when we traveled with two other families. It ended up working out very well. Fortunately they deferred to us much of the time to do the planning, but we always kept their likes in mind.

Good luck! :goodvibes

Crystal_27
05-31-2009, 03:47 PM
We have a similar situation with our friends whom are going with in September. They've done no research and are just relying on us to make the plans, all while they are complaining about the prices of everything -- MNSSHP tickets, dining, etc. (which especially adds insult to injury in that we're providing their lodging using our DVC points). It's tough but I've decided to just make plans for the things that we like in case they decide they don't like the things we've planned. I firmly believe it only takes one (failed) trip without having any plans to learn the lesson that plans are a requirement for most Disney trips. Good luck to both of us - LOL.