PDA

View Full Version : Just Back: 11 nights CSR; 5 nights AKL; any questions?

kevind65
06-17-2002, 09:29 PM
Just got back from the world. If anyone has any questions about CSR or AKL, feel free to ask them.

mickeyx2
06-17-2002, 09:34 PM
Please tell me all about AKL....did you use the bus transportation? How was that? Was the resort very crowded? Anything would be much appreciated. We're leaving in 3 days and we're just too excited! Hope you had a wonderful trip! TIA!

kevind65
06-17-2002, 10:09 PM
MICKEYX2, AKL was truly awesome. this was our first stay at this resort and we were a little hesitant at first, but, we were pleasantly surprised. Here is a little review from the top of my head:
Upon check-in, we were given a free upgrade to pool view. Actually, we were offered a free upgrade to a savannah view, but, because my wife has MS, we preferred to be closer to the pool area and were given a pool view room on the ground floor. room 1456. Couldn't ask for a better room placement: right across the hall from Simba's playhouse, guest laundry, ice & vending and the elevators. first room from the doors out to the pool area.
The room was clean and the beds were comfortable(very). not particularly large rooms, but, big enough for the 3 of us. The decor was a little on the dark side, but, very pleasing and peaceful. we had a private balcony(on the ground) that was well secluded by greenery. When the doors were closed though, there was no noise from the pool area. Housekeeping was wonderful! Ours had a talent for making all sorts of animals with the washclothes and towels.
The pool area was large and nicely decored. zero entry pool with the deepest depths being around 4 foot or so. The pool has a small slide that the kids enjoyed. The pool is basically designed to look like a watering hole in the middle of the savannah. One really cool thing is that you can occassionally see the animals in one of the savannahs while you're in the pool!How Cool! There were two hot tubs. The pool area is open 24 hours a day, but, the slide closes when the lifeguards leave at 10pm. There is also a savannah viewing area next to the pool where the animals can be viewed from with rangers stationed there to field questions you may have. They are very friendly and informative.
There are 3 dining options to choose from: Jiko--A fancy sit down restaurant..we did not try this one but have heard it is very good. The prices on the menu looked to be pretty steep. Boma--sit down buffet style restaurant. offers breakfast($15) and dinner($21)all-you-can-eat style. This place was very good. we did Boma for dinner. A vast menu with prime rib, flank steak, some seafood items, soup, salads, and desserts; many themed to tradional african taste. wonderful---highly recommended. And lastly, The Mara--not really a food court in the sense of the CBR or the all-stars, but, The AKL's version with a limited menu in a more affordable price range. The Mara is also where you purchase and refill your resort mugs. The Mara is on the ground level conveniently located next the pool. By the way, we used our mugs purchased from CSR the week before without hassle in the Mara.
The bus transportation was pretty good, but, not as good as we have experienced at other disney resorts. They only have one bus stop and it is a little bit of a walk from the room areas. It is located in the front of the resort. go out the front doors and turn left and keep walking, you'll run right into it. Still, we did not wait more than 10 minutes for a bus at any time during this trip.
The parking area at AKL is not very close to the rooms. so keep this in mind if you're planning on driving your own vehicle.
You can get to any of the three savannah viewing areas to view the animals even if you're not staying in a savannah view room. so keep this in mind if you don't want to pay the extra $ for a savannah view room.
Overall, I would rate this resort an A! we loved it and would stay there again. Sorry this was so long, hope it helps you out. kevin

bjakmom
06-18-2002, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the review, Kevin, I can't wait for my Aug stay!

Minnie's Guy
06-18-2002, 07:52 AM
We are also just back from the AKL and POR.
After staying for 3 nights at the AKL, we were so
spoiled moving over to POR. We always loved POR,
but the bus service, compared to AKL, was awful.
We stood everytime and at AKL always had a seat.

Anyway, yes, we are returning in Aug and my question
is, was the pool snack bar open. We stayed there
last year and we really enjoyed the pool and the
food, I am a little disturbed at the food court and the
way they charge 10% to eat at their food court.
We were fine with using the pool. IS THIS
SNACK BAR RE-OPENED AT THE POOL?

mickeyx2
06-18-2002, 08:13 AM
Kevin,
Wow, what a wonderful review!!!! Thank you so very much. Now I'm even more excited and I didn't think that was possible!

kevind65
06-18-2002, 05:30 PM
Minnies Guy,
The pool snack bar was open, but, it closed at 6pm, which was one of the few complaints I have with CSR. The poolside bar also closed at 7pm. I really think CSR is missing the boat here. There were upwards of a hundred or so people still at the pool at this time(dinner time) with kids who were wanting food and drinks. My wife's theory is that they are trying to force you to eat at Pepper Market. I too was a little disturbed by the automatic 10% service charge at Pepper Market. Most of the time, all the servers do is bring your drink order. A couple of times, they didn't even do that; I had to fill them myself! Also, be careful if you buy the refillable mug in pepper market--they will try to charge that 10% service charge on the price of the mugs too if you don't dispute it.

cruisnfamily
06-19-2002, 03:46 PM
I have no questions about CSR....loved the place!

I want to know if you ever got to go on that illuminations cruise?

We have been to Washington DC for a week since we last saw you at CSR. Did you find enough stuff to do at Disney to keep you busy for the 16 days you were there? I sent you a PM.

Sonya

maryj11
06-20-2002, 12:49 PM
Kevin, Did you have reservations for a standard room and did they upgrade your room with out asking for it? Did you request a room location before you arrived? I'am just trying to figure out how to get a free upgrade:) I really would love to stay at the AKL but the price is a little high for our budget but we may be able to stay a few days standard room. Sounds like a nice resort. Thanks for all the info.

kevind65
06-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Hi Sonya, No, we never got to do the cruise(gives us something to look forward to next trip I guess) it was nice meeting you guys down there. We had plenty to keep us busy the whole trip. I think we might be buting into the DVC this week.
As for AKL, we did have only a standard view reserved and made no room requests before our arrival. they just upgraded the view without asking. pretty cool. If you can, try AKL, it was really a nice resort.

Yachtman
06-21-2002, 10:58 AM
Kevin, Enjoyed very much reading your very descriptive review. You sound like a person who knows how to create his own good time and roll with the punches. You make AK sound fantastic. it's really nice to hear when somebody has a great vacation especially after waiting all year for vacation to roll around. Thanks for brightening up our day.

Hnymoon@Dixie
06-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Thanks soo much, I enjoyed reading it & learned alot!