PDA

View Full Version : My Recent Polynesian Experience

fortwilderness
06-17-2002, 09:11 PM
My husband and me spent 3 nights at the Polynesian - June 6-9 -as part of our Land & Sea Disney Cruise. We were in room 1830 which is on the very end of Raratonga. We had a patio that was surrounded by lovely tropical foliage and we could also see the monorail station. We couldn't have asked for a better view in the Garden category in our opinion. The patio had a feeling of privacy because of the foliage but we could still see the monorail wisk by.

We were on the end of the building next to the Great Ceremonial House. We literally had about a 15 second walk there. It was very convienent. The CM that checked us in was very sweet and she made us do a special little ceremony with the leis since it was our honeymoon.

While we waited for our room we went to the Kona Cafe and had lunch. The greatest thing ever happened while we were dining. We saw Roy Disney Jr. and his wife - I hope it was his wife ;) - eating there. Actually it was more like we saw them leaving but they stopped to talk to the chef so I got to stare at them for a good minute and a half :) I almost cried right there on the spot. I think that Roy looks so much like Uncle Walt and it was almost like looking at Walt himself. It was truly the highlight of my honeymoon - but don't tell my husband that ;)

After we ate our room was ready so we went and unpacked. While we were unpacking there was a knock at the door. The resort had sent us a beautiful red rose in a vase and a Magical Moment Certificate wishing us a happy honeymoon. It was a very nice touch :)

The room was very pretty and the shower was absolutely beautiful. The tv did seem extremely small though and the cabinet it was in seemed way too big for it. Overall we were very pleased with the room. We didn't notice any funky smells like other people have reported.

We used the pool and it was fun but it seemed kinda small. But we were a little biased though because we had just came from the Yacht Club and Stormalong Bay and so we were a little spoiled.

The staff at the Polynesian are just great especially Jennifer and Richard from bell services. Jennifer helped us by putting a rush for housekeeping to get our room ready for us to check in without us even asking her to. Richard was a tremendous help when we were leaving. Richard was just like a father. He made sure that we had enough luggage tags for our carryons and when we didn't he made us some. He advised us to stop and buy sodas and water at 7-11 because they were so expensive on the ship. He even provided us with a map to Port Canaveral and drew the tolls, stop lights and exits on it with his pen. We would have probably been fine without his help but it felt so nice to be looked after like that. Everyone else was sweet and friendly too. We had a really nice time there. I am sure that we will go back again someday :)

CaliforniaDreaming
06-17-2002, 09:18 PM
Great review! :) Glad you had a good stay at the Polynesian!

DisneyLisa
06-17-2002, 10:19 PM
Nice to hear you had such a great time & congratulations on your marriage. It seems like I've been reading your posts leading up to your honeymoon & now it's come & gone...time flies. All the best to you both for a wonderful life together.

mirlow
06-17-2002, 10:39 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed your honeymoon at the Polynesian:D It's our favorite resort and although we have 3 young kids I do find it very romantic. Our first stay was in the Raratonga bldg. I think it is a great location. Many people are worried about getting a parking lot view, but like you we were on the first floor and only saw the monorail. In fact all the kids in our group loved to watch it go by.
That is really neat that you got to see Roy Disney Jr:D

BrianD
06-18-2002, 04:48 AM
Congrats on your marriage! Glad you had a good time. You picked a great spot for a honeymoon!

Come on February...:cool:

Gail T AGAIN
06-18-2002, 06:13 AM
cONGRATULATION ON YOUR MARRIAGE AND GLAD TO HERE YOU HAD A NICE HONEYMOON, Ooops, sorry for the caps but I guess I got my point across, hope you have many many happy yrs. ahead of you.

cottontail
06-18-2002, 07:27 AM
Nice report. I am glad you enjoyed the poly. We just love it so much. What a great place to go for a honeymoon.

Wow, seeing Roy Disney, that would have been a highlight for me also.

Congrat's on your marriage and best wishes.

Deb.

disdaddy
06-18-2002, 10:45 AM
congratulations!!! can't think of a better place for a honeymoon!

Tikiman
06-18-2002, 04:33 PM
I am glad you had a great time. Mahalo for the report. We will be back there in 2 weeks for our 1st Anniversary after getting engaged there in July 2000 and honeymooning there in July 2001. The Polynesian as of last summer is not only the highest repeat guests but is the #1 WDW resort for honeymoons. I guess the mystery bad smell is not keeping all those guests away. LOL.;)

Aloha

Steve

DeeP
06-18-2002, 06:14 PM
Congratulations on your marriage!

The tv did seem extremely small though and the cabinet it was in seemed way too big for it.

I noticed the same thing last month at BWV! I hope this is not the new trend. :rolleyes:

CaliforniaDreaming
06-18-2002, 06:18 PM
I've also noticed the "small TV's" at the Grand Floridian and Contemporary. :( When at WDW, I really miss my 54" that I have here at home! You'd think they could put atleast 27" in those rooms!

DeeP
06-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Cali,
They used to have 27" tvs they had them at BWV & CSR in Dec, then I went back last month and they had these tiny little 14''(?) tvs in this great big cabinet! :rolleyes:

Cinderelli
06-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Fortwilderness,

I have so enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for taking the time to post. Congratulations on your marriage. Wishing you many years of happiness.

MinnieGi
06-18-2002, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the report and CONGRATULATIONS on your marriage and honeymoon!!!!

jmarie
06-18-2002, 07:40 PM
fortwilderness-thanks for the enthusiastic report. I love when people plan and plan and have it live up to their expectations. I also think it's great that Roy Jr was there. Did anyone else recognize him? Did the staff seem a little nervous. Anyway, best of luck to you always!!

fortwilderness
06-18-2002, 11:23 PM
Thanks for all of the congratulations and good wishes everybody :)

It is just so nice to be finally married. We had a big wonderful wedding and we are just so happy that we get to be together everyday. Our Disney honeymoon was simply wonderful and so many cast members went out of their way to make things extra special for us. Right now we are still trying to get everything moved into our townhouse and at the same time unpacking from our honeymoon and trying to find a place to put all of our new Disney souvineers. I am going to be a housewife until I go back to school in the fall so I am going to have lots of time to play on the DisBoards while my husband is at work. I am so happy that I found such a nice online community :D

Regarding seeing Roy Disney Jr. at the Kona Cafe - yes actually I did notice quite a few managers hanging around the restaurant and hotel and I suppose that is why. I think that we were the only guests who noticed him. At first I thought - wow that man sure looks like Roy Disney Jr. - but he seemed so old looking. Plus he was wearing a blue Hawaiian shirt, brown shorts, white socks and white tennis shoes. Yes I remember what he was wearing - it is etched in my mind forever ;) I decided that he looked so old because I had only seen him on tv and I am sure he had been wearing makeup then. I was 99% sure it was him but just to be positive we asked our server and he confirmed that it was indeed him. Evidently he visits WDW frequently because I had mentioned that I had seen Roy Jr. to a CM outside of One Man's Dream and he said that Roy had been into see the exhibit on several different occasions. He said that he was in awe the first time he saw Roy Jr. too :)

princess angel
06-19-2002, 12:46 PM
so nice to hear you had a great time at the Polynesian! Isn't incredibly romantic there!??

Laura :)

JerseyJanice
06-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Sounds like a magical stay.