PDA

View Full Version : A few CBR pics, including April Fire (update, added pictures)

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
06-17-2002, 03:12 PM
Since I've been too busy to work on putting pics on our website, I uploaded a few here, including one of the brush fire along the promenade in April:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ladytrampscampandangel/vwp?.dir=/April+2002+Disney+Vacation&.dnm=Lighthouse++from+Parrot+Cay.jpg&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/ladytrampscampandangel/vwp%3f.dir=/April%2b2002%2bDisney%2bVacation%26.dnm=Jamaica%2b Beach%2band%2bplayground.jpg%26.src=ph

I'll try to get them all up somewhere soon . . .

CaliforniaDreaming
06-17-2002, 03:29 PM
I got an error message! It says "The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible."

Rock'n Robin
06-17-2002, 03:52 PM
same message for me

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
06-17-2002, 03:55 PM
Hi Cali-D :) and Rock'n Robin,

That's strange. Here's a link to the thumbnails, maybe that will work. The other link goes to the first picture in the album (I know, I'm a novice at this) . . .

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ladytrampscampandangel/lst?.dir=/April+2002+Disney+Vacation&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/ladytrampscampandangel/vwp%3f.dir=/April%2b2002%2bDisney%2bVacation%26.dnm=Jamaica%2b Beach%2band%2bplayground.jpg%26.src=ph&.view=t

If you can't get it this way, they are in Yahoo! Photos under my user name ladytrampscampandangel and the album is April 2002 Disney Vacation.

Yahoo! says my photos address is http://photos.yahoo.com/ladytrampscampandangel

Hope this works. Is anyone able to get them?

CaliforniaDreaming
06-17-2002, 04:01 PM
I think you might have your albums listed as "private" and you'll need to change them to "public" before be can view them. I just tried to go in and view your album list, and it is empty (it does show that you have something stored there, but nothing for public viewing).

:)

CaliforniaDreaming
06-17-2002, 04:03 PM
I just checked again, and the album is showing up "shared with everyone". :)

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ladytrampscampandangel/lst?.dir=/April+2002+Disney+Vacation&.src=ph&.view=

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
06-17-2002, 04:06 PM
You're right Cali-D, I just figured that out also. Hope you can see them now.

It's just a few, most interesting is the fire. Would never had know if my DH hadn't gone to refill his drink at the food court about 12:30 am. It was really roaring across the lake from us but they were putting it out very quietly. No sirens, nothing. In fact the next morning I took a few more pics and a couple asked me what happened. They said they were staying over in that area and never heard a thing!

CaliforniaDreaming
06-17-2002, 04:24 PM
That picture of the fire is pretty cool! :) What was it that caught on fire?

I really like the "Jamaica Buildings" picture, it looks so calm and relaxing! ;)

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
06-17-2002, 05:06 PM
The fire burned apparently a wood bridge and some surrounding trees along the promenade, you can see the railing - I would say it was between Barbados and Aruba. This happened our first night so I never actually got to walk through there. The next day walls were erected around the area. I heard it was a brush fire and not anything deliberately set. Did anyone hear anything else?

We stayed in Martinique (blue buildings) which I really liked because it was close to Old Port Royale and the main pool but I have to say that I think Jamaica has the prettiest buildings. They have more of that gingerbread trim on them, more ornate and the pretty yellow colored buildings.

We enjoyed CBR very much. It's my goal to stay at most all the resorts so next year - on to another!

I have more pics, will try to add as I get time.

Carrieberry
06-17-2002, 05:53 PM
Wow, that fire was amazing. No one ever found out what caused it? If it wasn't deliberately set then what could have happened? Maybe the fence spontaneously combusted! LOL!

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
06-17-2002, 07:20 PM
You know I had the same thought but not much was said about it - just said it was a brush fire. Well, I have to admit my first thought was maybe a wayward cigarette. But they boarded it off and put up one of those "Pardon our dust" (I think it is?) signs. Seemed like Disney didn't want to draw much attention to it.

It was a big fire really. We could hear it burning and crackling across the lake, we were kind of across the corner of the lake from it. You can get an idea of how high the flames were from the height of the railing. There were a couple of emergency vehicles on the other side from us, very low key - no sounds or flashing lights, we could hardly see them, but we watched them spray the fire with the hoses and got it under control.

Beanie
06-17-2002, 07:23 PM
Great pictures!! Thanks so much for sharing them! I loved CBR when we stayed there, it was so peaceful and relaxing!!

Welcome back!

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
06-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Thanks Beanie.

I've added a few more pictures.

Pooh's Pal
06-17-2002, 10:21 PM
Just wondering when in April you and your family were there? We were at the CBR on 4/16 till the 19th, then we moved to the BWV's...I didn't hear of any fires, but we were only in the resort after 8:30 - 9pm everynight...I love CBR, it's one of my favorite resorts, we stayed in Trinadad North last time, have stayed in Aruba before also...Great resort..Great CM's..Great Bus Transportation too.. Glad you had a great stay, except for the fire!:eek:

ZPT1022
06-17-2002, 10:47 PM
Did you happen to notice if the fire hit any of the buildings? Or was it mostly just the railing and the foliage? How scary. I know from college program that Disney has their own fire department called Reedy Creek, and one of the main resaons for that seems to be so that they can control things themselves with a minimum of fussing and people noticing. I have to agree, I looked before reading all the posts and the first thing that came to my mind was someone's cigarette. Oh well, nothing can be done about it now, I am glad to hear that you and your family were safe.

TinaMedley
06-17-2002, 11:41 PM
I stayed at the CBR April 26-May 4 2002, When did the fire happen? We stayed at Aruba and we didn't see anything. Where was it at excately?

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
06-18-2002, 09:24 AM
We discovered the fire after midnight so it would have been very early morning of Tuesday, April 9th.

Take a look at the map here:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/cbrmap.jpg

I couldn't get too close after that first morning because they put up temporary walls. I would say from the map that it was approx in front of where Barbados building #11 is as it was on the area that curved out toward the lake there. I did walk over a few days later and it did not appear that any buildings where touched. It looked like the fire was closer to the lake side edge. I did not see any people evacuated or anything. In fact there were only a few of us out there watching, I think Disney did everything they could NOT to alarm anyone.

What amazes me was how quickly and quietly is was contained. It was really roaring. I was concerned for a minute because it wasn't obvious that an emergency crew was over there. But then we realized that they were and watched until after they started spraying it down with the fire hoses. We were standing in front of Martinique #24 and #25 taking those pictures, pretty much where my DD is playing in the sand in one picture. The fire was about where the left edge of that picture is.

My DH was going to the food court when he came back to our room and said "You've got to see this". I threw a long shirt over my pj's and went out to see what was going on. We didn't venture any closer because our kids where asleep in the room.

The next morning they put up the yellow tape around it you see in the last pic and there were several Disney people walking around checking it out. Then they erected the walls.

So did anyone walk that area of the promenade lately? I was wondering how long it would take them to repair.

Thanks for the good thoughts. Have a great day everybody. Oh, and CBR IS a beautiful resort - I highly recommend it also.

MadamG2U
06-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Thanks for sharing! The pictures are great. We will be at CBR in July. I can't wait.

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
06-20-2002, 09:58 AM
You're welcome MadamG2U!

Hope you have a lovely time there! It's my favorite moderate resort so I do think you'll enjoy it!

msr709
06-20-2002, 02:12 PM
Just wanted to thank you for posting the pictures. I still haven't figured out how to do it. . . They really kept that fire a secret I never heard about it until I saw this thread, great pictures, and btw I had no trouble getting to your pictures. Thanks again for taking the time to post them.;)

mothergoose
06-20-2002, 04:34 PM
We were at CBR this past week. My DH and I walked across the bridge that you are talking about. I had commented that a portion of the bridge appeared to be new, and then we saw the burned foliage.
I didn't realize that the fire had happened so recently!

halfway there
06-20-2002, 05:21 PM
WOW!:eek: I must say those are some of the most beautiful pictures of fire I have ever seen. You should really frame that middle one! I'm serious, submit to a contest or something!
Thanks for making them available to us.

Laura
06-20-2002, 08:18 PM
Well, it's good to know it wasn't a building on fire.

And ooooh, if it was somebody's cigarette butt, I sure hope they know they started it!!!:mad:

eeyore0062
06-20-2002, 08:52 PM
A discarded cigarette that hadn't been fully extinguished or an ash is enough to start a fire in the foliage as dry as it can be in the spring in Florida.

We were there last year, in May, when a wooded area back by the Epcot CM lot caught fire. We could see the helicopters dumping water from the lakes on it. Of course, last May, there were fires all up and down I-192, so it was very smoky during our stay. Didn't stop us though!

Glad everything was well with you and your family, and thanks for the pics!

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
06-21-2002, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone!

You're welcome re the pictures. I've enjoyed looking at everyone else's so wanted to share a few of my own. Thanks for the comments - I wasn't sure those fire pictures would come out very well but was happy to see that you could make out what was going on.

It's good to hear the area has been repaired. It's a shame to have damage to such a lovely place.

I know there could have been many things that started that fire, I was just happy to see how quickly and efficiently it was put out!

Have a good weekend everybody!

Patio
06-22-2002, 03:23 PM
Loved your pictures, thanks for sharing!!:)
That fire sure looked scary. I'm glad noone was hurt.

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
06-24-2002, 07:41 AM
You're welcome Patio :)