PDA

View Full Version : First stay @ SSR..observations

thelionqueen
05-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Hi all,
We are currently in the middle of our 12 night stay @ SSR; our first stay @ SSR and as DVC owners. We are staying in a 1BR in The Springs section, and I thought I would share some of our observations for those who are interested.

First of all, the check-in process was great! No wait, the CM was extremely helpful and we were granted our 2 requests as far as section, and linking reservations so we don't have to switch rooms !!:banana:

Our room has a partial view of the lake and fountain which is great! We can also see the DTD balloon at night which the kids LOVE!

We do not mind the "concrete walkways" that are often commented about. Had I not read the dislike of them on the DIS I likely would not have even noticed them.

The room itself is WONDERFUL!! VERY clean, nothing out of order or in need of repair. The only odd thing about the room is that the closet is through the bathroom. Usually, I use the closet like crazy, but rarely even go to it this trip. Don't know if it's the size of the villa or the location of the closet, in either way, no biggie.

The High rock pool is nice, but in general, "underwhelming". The resort could have definitely done a little more, but overall is adequate for our needs. The pool is definitely not a selling point for us.

The biggest disappointment for us is Artists Palette. While the CM's are EXCELLENT and the place is beautiful and clean, it is just way too small for the size of the resort. The lack of variety in food choices and shopping was surprising. With all the room at this resort, they could have easily done more with the main shopping and quick service dining area IMHO.

Another disappointment was the arcade. My kids LOVE arcades, and the SSR arcade was just dismal. It is a very small room with VERY little variety. Arcades are probably not a draw for most, Guess we got spoiled with the CR & POP arcades.

On the BIG plus side, the Gym-"Training Quarters" and spa were AMAZING!! I've gone to the gym every day of our trip and REALLY look forward to it. The staff is on point, the equipment is top of the line, clean and overall, truly AWESOME! Since I'm staying close, I visit everyday. I wonder if I were in the Congress Park section if I would go as much :

Another HUGE plus for us is the children's activities. My kids look forward to going to Community Hall nearly every night for some activity.

All in all, we like SSR! However, if given the choice, we would likely choose OKW over SSR. But when making a reservations, and if SSR was the only resort available, we would look forward to another visit. We're glad we got to experience SSR, but will slip near the end of our list of requested resorts. Nothing terrible, but nothing really drawing us back any time soon. Just my thoughts, not trying to bash SSR in any way :thumbsup2

LIFERBABE
05-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the report!!

Hope the rest of your trip is as enjoyable.

The SSR Arcade is small, but many of them are. I dont think OKW has much of an arcade either. We find it is cheaper and better to buy the DQ AP's for the boys and let them spend a few hours at DQ to get their video game fix. They go almost every evening when we stay at SSR because it is so close.
When we stayed at AKV, we spent $80 on Arcade cards for the 2 boys:eek:

AKL has a nice Arcade though.

Have you tried Turf Club yet. It has always been consistent and we enjoy it. There is always room for improvement, but again, OKW has even less food offerings and their counter service is a pick up window with outdoor seating.

Love the Gym and the Spa!! Definitely try the pedicures. They give the best ones ever. :cloud9:

monkeyknuckler
05-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the report. Good to hear what people think of their first stay. We'll be at SSR in Dec for the 1st time as well.

Meriweather
05-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Thank you for the review. We will be staying at SSR for the first time in Sept.

PiratesCove
05-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks as well. We will be staying at SSR at the end of July on dev pts.

Ms. WDW
05-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the report. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

I tend to agree with you about Artists Palette. It really needs to be larger given the size of the resort. The space is just too small.

Have you tried the Turf Club? It's turned into one of our favorite restaurants in WDW. We've always had a great meal there and the service, in my opinion is excellent.

Ohhhhhh yes; the Spa. Definately try the manicures and pedicures. It's amazing what they can do to fingers and toes! :rotfl:

Sammie
05-28-2009, 12:51 PM
We love Artist Pallette; it is our favorite counter service at any Disney resort and one of the main reason we like SSR.

I am always surprised that some feel they don't offer much variety, when they offer on their menu as many if not more different items than most any other CS.

The lack of variety in food choices

Do you mean number of choices or you did not care for the choices? Certainly if you are comparing it to a value resort food court, then any deluxe resort and DVC resort counter service is going to come up lacking quantity of choices. Same with arcades.

At the values due to the large number of guests and especially families you are going to have big arcades, big food areas and big laundry areas.

Glad you are having a good time.

ParrotBill
05-28-2009, 04:14 PM
We just returned from a week stay in a Studio in the Grandstands.

I had requested Grandstands 8000s, but got 9000s (a longer walk to the pool, and a little too long to the food.) We really liked the pool in this area, it is a good size and our 9 yr old daughter loved the spray play area.

We liked being the first bus stop as there were numerous issues with late and very full buses (see my post in the Transportation board.)

I agree with those who say Artist Pallete needs more food variety. If they could add more sandwiches and maybe burgers it would round it out. Several other resorts have a general grill for such items. I think they tried to be too upscale with the flatbreads and only 3-4 main items each night.

I also think the main pool should have been bigger and they should have found a way to connect community hall with the pool without walking along a dangerous (yes, dangerous!) road with only a 3' sidewalk. We would not let children go to community hall by themselves like we do at Boardwalk.

We heard a lot of people complain about cleanliness and broken items. We had a couple of small issues - alarm clock broken, toaster broken, but nothing big and the room was clean.

As usual, we saw a lot of people bending rules that cost members money. Why don't they place information in your welcome packet explaining trash & towel schedules, what you pay extra for, and so on!

The worst was the resort mug refills. Shame on Saratoga Springs for having a drink refill counter that is not supervised at the Grandstands pool. Shame on the 9 out 10 people who used it without a currently purchased mug. We saw personal cups and 10 year old Wilderness Lodge cups being used. They should have put this behind the counter. I thought about my dues rising every time I saw someone use it.

Second worst: what is with 50% of guests and pool towels? nearly half of people left their used towels on the chairs, or worse, on the ground. They also moved chairs around without moving them back. People, you are making our dues go up up up every year by doing this.

Third: People leaving their trash in the hall outside their door. Obviously many people this this is OK and leave it right outside their doors. Some realize they are not suppose to and leave it nearby but not at their own door.
I will way this - the only trash in our building was on the first floor at one end of the building. We were on the fourth floor at the opposite end. But I still took my trash down when it was full!

Although our points are at Boardwalk and OKW, we could not get in anywhere but SS with 3 months notice. Still, we enjoyed it and will stay again if we can't get into our home resorts.

Anal Annie
05-28-2009, 04:53 PM
We just came home from 4 nights in a studio last weekend in one of the 8000 buildings in the Grandstand. It was our first stay at SSR and I was leary of it because of various posts from people who dislike it and because I knew it was big & spreadout like OKW (which we do not like bcuz of a bad first experience). ANYWAY, in general we really liked SSR and the Grandstand area and I was glad I had asked a few questions about where to stay here on the DIS before we went! We liked that pool better than the main pool too (not so crowded). Dumb question: are the pools in Congress Park & the Carousel as nice as the one in the Grandstand?!?

We did not go to the Arcade (we tend not to drop too much money on that sort of stuff) and we only ate at Artist's Palette once. The food was OK...thought it was expensive for the quality (DH had a cheeseburger pizza & DS and I both ordered the pasta special of the day). Not the best QS place we've ever tried. I think the Mara gets top prize for that.

Our room was also clean but was missing some towels & the scrubber sponge thingy for the kitchenette. I called Mousekeeping to have them bring one. This was the first time that we encountered the sofa bed not made up already. But I had read that for some reason the SSR staff does not do that so I was prepared to check it after we got there so I could make it up. Wonder why that varies from resort to resort?? :confused3 I mean, it IS still a bed!!

Anyway, we're still in the process of trying out all the resorts but have no problem coming "home" again to SSR one day.:thumbsup2 We really like staying in a different resort each time we go so that each trip is different. So far OKW is the only resort we haven't cared for. So we're happy campers!

vicki_c
05-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Just for future trips and future visitors - you don't have to walk out to the main roadway to get between the Community Hall and the pool. Community Hall actually has 2 back doors that take you right out into the courtyard near the back entrance to the arcade and there's a protected short walkway to the pool. You can also go through those back doors and down a sidewalk to the stairs that take you to the spa and Artists' Palette.

To the OP - our 1 BR at BCV had the closet in the bathroom as well - I thought that was odd, but maybe a lot of the DVCs are set up that way. The 2 BR dedicated (also BCV) we had had a very large closet in the front hallway which was great.

We loved our stay at SSR.

LIFERBABE
05-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Our dues dont pay for the soda. The mugs do. That is why the price increases every year for the mugs. Those that purchase are paying for their soda and everyone else's;)

Many resorts have self service mug stations so no need to be ashamed.

My children use the courtyard entrance to community hall all the time from the pool. They will leave CH to fill their mug at the pool and return or vice versa. No need to exit the pool area unless you leaving altogether.

Also, there are teepees in every villa that explain Mousekeeping services for members and guests on points.

Annie, the Grandstand pool is very nice and I love the red loungers and all the seating. Congress Park pool is lovely but it does not have the splay area. It is very formal with frog fountains in each corner a hot tub and a gorgeous view of the lake and DTD. The Paddock pool is the smallest but does have a hot tub also. So SSR has 5 hot tubs altogether which is pretty awesome.:cloud9:

We've not had our sofa sleeper made up at many DVC resorts. I believe it may be the style of sleeper SSR has. The foam style cant really be made up and stored properly because there is nowhere to tuck the sheets and blankets. We even stayed at AKV Concierge and our sofa was not made up and rarely pulled out with turn down service. AKV has all that heavy furniture to move and the foam style sleepers. BWV and BCV have the newer style and I do recall those being semi-made up when we pulled them out.

Anal Annie
05-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Annie, the Grandstand pool is very nice and I love the red loungers and all the seating. Congress Park pool is lovely but it does not have the splay area. It is very formal with frog fountains in each corner a hot tub and a gorgeous view of the lake and DTD. The Paddock pool is the smallest but does have a hot tub also. So SSR has 5 hot tubs altogether which is pretty awesome.:cloud9:

We've not had our sofa sleeper made up at many DVC resorts. I believe it may be the style of sleeper SSR has. The foam style cant really be made up and stored properly because there is nowhere to tuck the sheets and blankets. We even stayed at AKV Concierge and our sofa was not made up and rarely pulled out with turn down service. AKV has all that heavy furniture to move and the foam style sleepers. BWV and BCV have the newer style and I do recall those being semi-made up when we pulled them out.

We were quite impressed with the Grandstand pool...although DS did not get a chance to play with the water cannon things (they were off when we went). DH noticed that the pool bar closed up early too...

We found our sleeper sofas were already made up at both VWL and AKV (value studio) when we went before...guess we'll find out what we get at BCV in August.:confused3

Tara
05-28-2009, 06:03 PM
I agree with those who say Artist Pallete needs more food variety. If they could add more sandwiches and maybe burgers it would round it out. Several other resorts have a general grill for such items. I think they tried to be too upscale with the flatbreads and only 3-4 main items each night.

I couldn't agree more. We eat mostly table service meals (and most of those are signature restaurants), so for something quick, a burger or something more "comfort food" like is a good thing.

I also think the main pool should have been bigger and they should have found a way to connect community hall with the pool without walking along a dangerous (yes, dangerous!) road with only a 3' sidewalk. We would not let children go to community hall by themselves like we do at Boardwalk.

There is another way into Community Hall from the courtyard side of the building that doesn't require walking anywhere near the road (if you are coming from the pool or resort center.

thelionqueen
05-28-2009, 06:35 PM
OK so I took the advice of PP's and treated myself to a pedicure...WOW, it was AMAZING!!

I must say that the gym and spa alone might just be enough to lure me back in the near future, they TRULY are magnificent! And my husband wanted to personally thank the PP's who suggested I get a very pricey pedicure :lmao:

wrighter
05-28-2009, 07:47 PM
DH and I just returned from a kid-free trip down to WDW, where we stayed in a Congress Park studio for the first time. Overall, we really enjoyed the resort and would stay there again in the future if we wanted to save some points.

Am I the only person who really didn't like the music they were piping in to the pool areas? Maybe it was just ours, but it was this horrible, jazzy elevator music. We've stayed at OKW (lots of Jimmy Buffett) and BWV (definitely more uptemp stuff) and were surprised at this choice. Anyone have any thoughts?

starbox
05-28-2009, 07:52 PM
OK so I took the advice of PP's and treated myself to a pedicure...WOW, it was AMAZING!!

I must say that the gym and spa alone might just be enough to lure me back in the near future, they TRULY are magnificent! And my husband wanted to personally thank the PP's who suggested I get a very pricey pedicure :lmao:

SSR has, by far, the BEST fitness center at any Disney resort - some of them are really dismal.

I'd suggest doing a late-night swim at the Congress Park quiet pool.

ParrotBill
05-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks to those of you who mentioned the back way into community hall. I did not see that, I saw only the signs on the front side.

I don't believe, for one second, that the sales of the mugs covers the cost of soda when 9 out of 10 users did not pay for the mug! I am not kidding, I sat and counted each afternoon I was there. Struck up conversations with a few people.

"Hey, are those mugs a good deal?"

Most people really believed the resort mugs are good for life.

Tara
05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks to those of you who mentioned the back way into community hall. I did not see that, I saw only the signs on the front side.

I don't believe, for one second, that the sales of the mugs covers the cost of soda when 9 out of 10 users did not pay for the mug! I am not kidding, I sat and counted each afternoon I was there. Struck up conversations with a few people.

"Hey, are those mugs a good deal?"

I'm pretty sure that DVC leases back food operations to Disney, so I would think the cost of soda would be Disney's, not DVC's.

It's unlikely that even with 9 of 10 people not paying that Disney is losing money. At an average of about a penny per serving, think about how many servings are paid for with the price of the mug (the mug itself probably costs $2, maybe $3?). They cost a whole bunch of pennies!

mecllap
05-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Third: People leaving their trash in the hall outside their door. Obviously many people this this is OK and leave it right outside their doors. Some realize they are not suppose to and leave it nearby but not at their own door.
I will way this - the only trash in our building was on the first floor at one end of the building. We were on the fourth floor at the opposite end. But I still took my trash down when it was full!

I don't yet know what trash policies are at SSR, but I have stayed at other timeshares where the housekeepers bag up the trash when they're doing a unit, leave it out by the door, and someone else comes later in the day to take it all away.

(But have also come across lots of evidence during my travels of people/guests being pigs about one thing or another -- I am so not looking forward to more than two weeks of using public bathrooms where women/girls have no sense of courtesy to others [even with automatic flushers, so many stalls are left in a mess -- some people do it deliberately, but of course sometimes it is just because they get used to auto-flushing, which isn't always a feature or working properly]). Sorry -- too much OT. But other than that, really looking forward to my trip (especially my first stay at SSR, where that shouldn't be much of a problem).

Nikisha421
05-28-2009, 09:35 PM
enjoy your trip happy to hear the positives about SSR...and happier to hear that someone besides myself uses the gym while on vacation!!!

starbox
05-28-2009, 09:53 PM

If I did not read the Disboards, I'd probably think this. Confession: I used to regularly take pool towels to my room before reading the Disboards :laundy::rotfl:

But seriously, at AKV over spring break the CM that rung up my mugs (which I do purchase every year) said "You know you can bring these back and use them every year and at any resort you stay in". :eek: Luckily I caught myself before launching into a Disboard shriek of NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!:eek::scared1::scared1::s cared1::scared1::eek:
:goodvibes

Ms. WDW
05-29-2009, 08:17 AM

;) I remember one thread where a "husband" posted about his wife's experience at the Spa at SSR and I'll try and quote him but basically he said something to the fact that "it cost him $5 per toe and he couldn't figure out what they did to each toe that would cost that much" or something like that! :rotfl: But unfortunately, the Spa definately has WDW pricing. But DH and I look at it like this; it's vacation and I usually only do this 1-2 times a year.

Glad you enjoyed it. Now you need to try and massage! Your husband is going to hate us!!! :rotfl2:

LIFERBABE
05-29-2009, 10:01 AM
;) I remember one thread where a "husband" posted about his wife's experience at the Spa at SSR and I'll try and quote him but basically he said something to the fact that "it cost him $5 per toe and he couldn't figure out what they did to each toe that would cost that much" or something like that! :rotfl: But unfortunately, the Spa definately has WDW pricing. But DH and I look at it like this; it's vacation and I usually only do this 1-2 times a year.

Glad you enjoyed it. Now you need to try and massage! Your husband is going to hate us!!! :rotfl2:

:rotfl: I remember that quote!:rotfl: $5 a toe is right! But SSR Spa has all but spoiled me for other pedicures. I had a DCL pedicure and it was awful! Never again. Even more expensive than SSR and it was equal to a polish change. The shops at home dont compare either. Yes they are half the price but they do half the job. So I wait for my vacations and go to SSR Spa.
I will be at AKV next week, but I will be heading over to the Spa for my Pedi before our cruise!:lovestruc

Lionqueen, do you remember the name of your tech? Just wondering if they have the same staff sounds like it if you had such a great experience. :cloud9: You will be impressed on how great your toes look even weeks later.

I love that you were able to get online and get real-time vacation tips!:wizard::laughing:

Dizny Dad
05-29-2009, 11:16 AM
. . . . . . .
As usual, we saw a lot of people bending rules that cost members money. Why don't they place information in your welcome packet explaining trash & towel schedules, what you pay extra for, and so on!

The worst was the resort mug refills. Shame on Saratoga Springs for having a drink refill counter that is not supervised at the Grandstands pool. Shame on the 9 out 10 people who used it without a currently purchased mug. We saw personal cups and 10 year old Wilderness Lodge cups being used. They should have put this behind the counter. I thought about my dues rising every time I saw someone use it.

Second worst: what is with 50% of guests and pool towels? nearly half of people left their used towels on the chairs, or worse, on the ground. They also moved chairs around without moving them back. People, you are making our dues go up up up every year by doing this.

I will way this - the only trash in our building was on the first floor at one end of the building. We were on the fourth floor at the opposite end. But I still took my trash down when it was full!. . . . . . . .

In all things, there are users and abusers.

I, too, am always amazed at the bending, stretching, or blatent breaking of rules we have all agreed to accept to maintain the quality of our ownership in DVC. Mugs and towel issues are big ones, but there are others that get my attention. That reenforces my belief that no matter how high you raise the price, the abusers always find a way to make their mark.

In all things, there are users and abusers.

Our dues dont pay for the soda. The mugs do. That is why the price increases every year for the mugs. Those that purchase are paying for their soda and everyone else's;) . . . . . .

I was informed by a CM that to maintain exclusivity in The World, Coke gives all of their products to Disney for free.

BEASLYBOO
05-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Good trip report!

Ms. WDW
05-29-2009, 02:47 PM
:rotfl: I remember that quote!:rotfl: $5 a toe is right! But SSR Spa has all but spoiled me for other pedicures. I had a DCL pedicure and it was awful! Never again. Even more expensive than SSR and it was equal to a polish change. The shops at home dont compare either. Yes they are half the price but they do half the job. So I wait for my vacations and go to SSR Spa.
I will be at AKV next week, but I will be heading over to the Spa for my Pedi before our cruise!:lovestruc

I'll never forget that post; he just couldn't imagine what they did to toes to make a pedicure that expensive!!!:rotfl2:

I'll be at SSR for my birthday week and guess where I'm going?? I already have an appointment for a massage and then a manicure/pedicure; compliments of my husband!!! :love:

I too would love to know the name of the person. I love Meghan for massage (and at last check she was there) but unfortunately the woman who did my last mani/pedi is gone :sad2: so I'll need the name of someone else.

twinklebug
05-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I was informed by a CM that to maintain exclusivity in The World, Coke gives all of their products to Disney for free.

Was this CM either a Boat skipper, Bus or DVC driver? They do seem to know all :idea:

dianeschlicht
05-29-2009, 03:07 PM
I have to agree about the closet being not as useful in that layout. We also don't care for the food offerings at Artist Palette, but we LOVE Turf Club!!! In fact, no matter where we are staying, we usually eat at Turf Club multiple times a trip!:thumbsup2

Hazzard101
05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
In reference to the OP. We loved the Springs and just moved to Grandstand today. We had a full view of the fountain and the monsoons. Cute bird out by the pond and fountain wings spread all day. We loved our second floor studio and even enjoyed a board game from the community hall.

The only complaint we have about SSR and it could just be my bad luck( not trying to be the victim, just a fact) but on two separate occasions we waited over 45 min for a bus. One time in a thunder and lightning storm at pleasure island and the other this morning here at Congress Park waited 50 min for a bus to DTD, found out later we could have walked there in about 8 min.

Other than that we love it here and now have a view of DTD from our one Bdr through the trees. :thumbsup2

thelionqueen
05-29-2009, 04:18 PM
OK, serioiusly my husband is going to come on here with some words..:lmao: I booked a massage for Monday and can't wait! I will look to see if the gal that gave me my pedi is in and/or if I can get her name and post it here. It really was great!! Worth $65 (w/tip), but only on special occasions. I have yet to tell DH about the massage, but he will do his classic eye roll and then "whatever makes you happy honey" look; which makes our marriage work :rotfl2:. I don't think I"ll tell him the "exact" price maybe just a ballpark amount :rotfl:. Separate bank accounts do come in handy; except of course when buying our BLT points.

We went to Star Wars weekends today and saw the American Idol winner (Kris something I think) and had a GREAT time! I had one of the top 3 high scores2 on Toy Story Mania (at least when I left) and my boys got a picture with R2D2 & Luke Skywalker which they just loved. The weather is great, except raining every afternoon around 4:00

I will post our review of UP tomorrow after our viewing tonight. There is just something extra magical about seeing a Disney premiere at the DTD theatre.

OH, I almost forgot, we got a special sprinkling of pixie dust today!:wizard:
I was standing in line @ Earl of Sandwich (LOVE that place) when the gentleman behind me asked how many people I was ordering for, I told him 3 (my oldest son was not hungry). He said, "here take these, I'm leaving today and can't use them". He have me 3 meal vouchers!!!:thumbsup2 I told him thank you very much they will come in quite handy as we're not on the dining plan this trip. I told him that we had given our extra DDP credits to others on several occasions and really appreciated them. DH was thrilled and it just really made our day!:love:

More tomorrow...:hippie:

thelionqueen
05-29-2009, 04:24 PM
enjoy your trip happy to hear the positives about SSR...and happier to hear that someone besides myself uses the gym while on vacation!!!

I am surprised at how many people are in the gym every time I go. I'd say at least 10 people have been there every time I've gone.

I like to work out while on vacation too. It somehow makes eating the ice cream and popcorn tastes better :lmao:

I do it so that I only gain a pound or two as opposed to 5+ lbs..lol

LIFERBABE
05-29-2009, 04:52 PM
We too wait to see all the Disney movies while at WDW. :goodvibes My boys really want to see up, so we will do that next weekend while there.

We wait for the rainiest day and then we catch the movie.

Funny about your Dh having words for us!:rotfl: Who said the internet was free?:rotfl: Another evil Disney plan. Give them free internet and all their DisFriends will tell them how to spend money:idea:

Love Earl's and the Chicken Empanadas at the window of Bongos. That's a treat for us. Extra hot sauce cause we're from Texas:laughing:

alamode
05-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Was the $65 for an hour massage? That's not a bad price. I pay $75 an hour and think that's a deal.

tecodis
05-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that DVC leases back food operations to Disney, so I would think the cost of soda would be Disney's, not DVC's.

It's unlikely that even with 9 of 10 people not paying that Disney is losing money. At an average of about a penny per serving, think about how many servings are paid for with the price of the mug (the mug itself probably costs $2, maybe $3?). They cost a whole bunch of pennies!

Let's face it. If it was a money losing situation for Disney, they would not continue to allow it. They experimented with restricting it at Blizzard Beach a few years back with bar-coded mugs. I think they ended the test and I haven't seen it implemented anywhere since.

Disney knows it will be abused by return guests but surely considers it a benefit toward getting those repeat guests. I personally applaud them for it! The near $3 price in the parks for a soft drink is ridiculous. I've noticed a couple places in the parks have begun to use self serve also. Disney knows the mugs will be used there too yet they install them anyway. Again, proof they put some "customer satisfaction" value on it.

FWIW, I do buy a new mug whenevr new ones come out. However, until the design changes, I reuse that last one purchased.

Ms. WDW
05-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Was the $65 for an hour massage? That's not a bad price. I pay $75 an hour and think that's a deal.

I don't think that's the price of the massage. I think that was the pedicure price including tip.

Deb & Bill
05-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Let's face it. If it was a money losing situation for Disney, they would not continue to allow it. They experimented with restricting it at Blizzard Beach a few years back with bar-coded mugs. I think they ended the test and I haven't seen it implemented anywhere since. ...

They still have the barcoded mugs at BB and TL. I saw them today.

Deb & Bill
05-29-2009, 09:42 PM
We spent one night at SSR last Sat night and thought it was wonderful. We were on the first floor of a building in the Springs right near the bus stop with a view of the fountain in the pond. Our room was beautiful, we never waited for a bus (we caught at least two buses in a one night stay).

But we did see a great big, black snake over by the Grandstand bus stop. Must have been two or three feet long and was being attacked by a mockingbird.

We had a wonderful walk around the property on Sunday before we headed to the MK for breakfast. The theming around the property is so great. The little touches here and there are really nice.

We'd stay at SSR again in a heartbeat.

By the way, at BCV, the bed was made up ahead of time. Pillows and blanket were stuffed into the holding area under the bed. Sheets were on the bed. No closet in the foyer, just in the bedroom because this is a lockoff and the door is located where the closet would be. We had a dedicated a few years ago and it did have the closet in the foyer. We just took the pack and play, high chair and vacuum cleaner out of the closet and stuffed them into the foyer area under the table and against the lockoff door.

TriMom
05-29-2009, 09:56 PM
:rotfl2:OK Lionqueen, now MY husband is going to have words. We leave in a week for OKW and now I am trying to figure out how to sneak over to SSR for a pedi.

tecodis
05-29-2009, 09:56 PM
But we did see a great big, black snake over by the Grandstand bus stop. Must have been two or three feet long and was being attacked by a mockingbird.

:eek: I've seen those long black snakes at OKW too.
It was slinking into the bushes and then along side the building. Fortunately, I was on the second floor!

Go mockingbird, go mockingbird!!

TinkDVC
05-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences at SSR. I've been a DVC member for a few years but this July will be my first stay at SSR.

Looks like a Pedicure will be added to the list of things to do :thumbsup2

bigsmooth
05-30-2009, 02:01 PM
The peppermint pedicure has become a must do activity for my wife every time we go now. I'd like to thank my guide for pointing out the spa to my wife (she even suggested we tailor our DVC tour around a spa appt).

Turf Club is going to become our next must do activity. After being so disappointed with much of the food offerings at DtD, we've decided it is the best food in the DtD area. We'll only stop at Artist Palette just to restock the fridge when we run out of something.

thelionqueen
05-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi guys, LOVE the comments on here, they literally crack me up. I really liked the comment about free internet, isn't that the truth :lmao:

We saw UP last night and it was absolutely wonderful!! It was a very odd story line but Pixar pulled it off again. I will warn you though that there are some very sad parts in the movie. I sobbed a couple times, so much so I had to take off my glasses. It was worth the $60+ it cost for us to see it, I thoroughly enjoyed it :thumbsup2

Another great thing about the movie is...drumroll please...they showed us the Toy Story 3 trailer (well kinda..). It FINALLY has a release date!! June 18th 2010. Seems like we've waited a lifetime for this sequel. The theatre literally clapped and whistled. My husband and I bet on it making more than Nemo; which I think it will do easily. Looks like I know when to book our summer 2010 trip now :banana:

Spent the day at Epcot, and FINALLY a day without rain. It was super hot though, but truly wonderful. I will be sad when Flower & Garden ends tomorrow, it has been great!

We are going to go see Wishes tonight. I truly cannot believe we are more than halfway done with our trip and I have yet to see fireworks. That's usually one of the first things on my list. This vacation has been different in many ways, and it's all been great.

We have reservations @ Turf club on Monday & Weds. I've read nothing but positive reviews, I'll post ours when we dine there.

To PP, the $65 was for the pedicure & tip. My massage on Monday will Likely be around $250 :scared1: shhhh don't telld DH.lol..:rolleyes1
Off to enjoy a little nap and then off to Magic Kingdom. Will post again tomorrow!

Glottsofun
05-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Peppermint pedicure??? Sounds like an item for my must do list! Not looking forward to the snakes, though. :scared1: Has anyone rented the sports equipment at SSR? Says there is tennis, shuffleboard and golf onsite...looking forward to trying some in December.

Deb & Bill
05-30-2009, 07:59 PM
I kind of like the looks of the DVC Special - Swedish Massage, Radiance Aromatherapy Facial, Spa Manicure and Spa Pedicure ($288 + tax and tip).

DaveH
05-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I will like to answer a couple of things from the beginning. The core buildings are from the failed Disney Institute. There will not be burgers at Artist Palette because there is no way to cook them there. Good planning huh. :rolleyes: In Dec we spent a week at SSR and then VWL. The same food at SSR looked like it needed to go into the trash. I just looked bad. The same thing at WL looked great go figure. When SSR first open I complained about the food and was told if I did not like it to go to DTD. I wrote them up. Until they try to fix the food at SSR it will stay very bad there. I believe they added an additional section to SSR because DVC was selling so fast.

Deb & Bill
05-30-2009, 09:24 PM
They grill steaks at the Turf Club which is right near Artist Palette. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't cook hamburgers there.

vicki_c
05-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I will like to answer a couple of things from the beginning. The core buildings are from the failed Disney Institute. There will not be burgers at Artist Palette because there is no way to cook them there. Good planning huh. :rolleyes: In Dec we spent a week at SSR and then VWL. The same food at SSR looked like it needed to go into the trash. I just looked bad. The same thing at WL looked great go figure. When SSR first open I complained about the food and was told if I did not like it to go to DTD. I wrote them up. Until they try to fix the food at SSR it will stay very bad there. I believe they added an additional section to SSR because DVC was selling so fast.

I ate at Artists Palette 3 or 4 times and thought everything was very good. I wasn't that impressed with Turf Club, but I'm calling it an off night since everyone else raves over it. But I thought everything at AP was good, both breakfasts and flatbreads. No better or worse than Roaring Forks.

DaveH
05-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I talked to member satisfaction and that is what they said. I said the same thing as you did. They say the Turf Club kitchen is I the back. We love SSR and I hate AP. Maybe someday they will fix it. I even asked for meatball subs be added. No luck, it makes too much sense for them to do that so they wont.

tecodis
05-30-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm in the camp of people that feels AP could be improved upon. I have no problem getting a bite there one time during the stay, but that is usually all I want. In fact, I think I've always gotten the same soup & turkey sandwich combo when I've ate there. More "food court" type fare would definitely be an improvement.

Tara
05-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Another great thing about the movie is...drumroll please...they showed us the Toy Story 3 trailer (well kinda..). It FINALLY has a release date!! June 18th 2010.

When we were there Mother's Day week, there was a poster for it with the release date in the Animation attraction at DHS. Not that the animation thing isn't fun, but seeing the date was the highlight of the attraction for me. ;)

kamikazecat
05-30-2009, 09:45 PM
I am so glad you are having a great trip. In 8 days we will be leaving for a two week stay at SSR. I have only been to DW once and my hubby and son have never been. We are very excited. I have never had a pedicure before and the peppermint one sounds heavenly. :cloud9: Will the spa take a disney gc?

VallCopen
05-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Coke is the exclusive product at Disney and in return offers Disney their products for FREE...Soda is very inexpensive and it is quite the advertisement for them, much cheaper than the Super Bowl Ads. Not that I am saying I agree with using old mugs but hey if the CM's are telling people that they can use them is it wrong?:confused3

SaratogaShan
05-31-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm in the camp of people that feels AP could be improved upon. I have no problem getting a bite there one time during the stay, but that is usually all I want. In fact, I think I've always gotten the same soup & turkey sandwich combo when I've ate there. More "food court" type fare would definitely be an improvement.

Nooooo! They already have hotdogs and chicken fingers for those who want "food court" fare. I like AP because they have unique offerings. I love to get a buffalo chicken flatbread and eat it at one of the shaded tables by the pool!

And on the flip side.....the resorts that have "food court" type offerings get requests to offer "something different". You just can't please everyone.

I do agree that the service flow could be improved, and expansion of the food service area is a good idea.

Waltsworld
06-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I recently came back from my second stay at SS. I will admit, that my first time there, I thought it was beautiful, but nothing really stood out. I think I was comparing it too much to other resorts, that are more convenient to the parks. That being said, I really enjoyed it this past May. The grounds are so peaceful and the backdrop of Downtown Disney adds to the magic. I stayed at Congress Park and really enjoyed being able to walk back and forth to Downtown Disney. I went out early one morning and walked the grounds and it was so peaceful. There were bunny rabbits running all around and the aromas from the flowers were beautiful. I also enjoy the addition of the balloon. I enjoyed watching it go up and down from my room or while I walked along the lake. I found my room to be very cozy. There is a very warm feeling to the rooms. I also own at Boardwalk and love that too, but I must admit, I really did enjoy the peacefulness and beauty of Saratoga Springs. Two different resorts, both with a lot to offer. I think that people have to stop comparing it to other resorts, and really learn to appreciate the beauty of it.

LIFERBABE
06-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I recently came back from my second stay at SS. I will admit, that my first time there, I thought it was beautiful, but nothing really stood out. I think I was comparing it too much to other resorts, that are more convenient to the parks. That being said, I really enjoyed it this past May. The grounds are so peaceful and the backdrop of Downtown Disney adds to the magic. I stayed at Congress Park and really enjoyed being able to walk back and forth to Downtown Disney. I went out early one morning and walked the grounds and it was so peaceful. There were bunny rabbits running all around and the aromas from the flowers were beautiful. I also enjoy the addition of the balloon. I enjoyed watching it go up and down from my room or while I walked along the lake. I found my room to be very cozy. There is a very warm feeling to the rooms. I also own at Boardwalk and love that too, but I must admit, I really did enjoy the peacefulness and beauty of Saratoga Springs. Two different resorts, both with a lot to offer. I think that people have to stop comparing it to other resorts, and really learn to appreciate the beauty of it.

Great post! I was soothed just reading it, because that is what we enjoy about SSR also. :goodvibes
The theme is health and wellness and i really feel it when Im there, It is really inviting and encouraging me to get out outdoors, walk and pamper myself.
I find I compare the others to SSR because we enjoy our resort as much as the parks if not more.

tecodis
06-01-2009, 06:52 PM
That's how I feel about the Polynesian. It is so peaceful. There is alot more wildlife running around at the Poly than I ever can see at Animal Kingdom Lodge, besides the really big animals, of course. Even the Wilderness Lodge has a variety of little wildlife creatures running around which I find I actually miss when at AKL. It even makes me miss those darn, noisy seagulls - well, kind of.
:)

thelionqueen
06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
So we are back to our 2nd home (Disney is our first) and I wanted to post final observations for anyone interested.

#1, I LOVE the location of SSR!!
We always rent a car, and this year we didnt get the dining plan, so the location to DTD and proximity to the Crossroads shopping center was AMAZING!!! I tend to go to DTD a lot, but once I found all the additional restaurants/resources (Walgreens!) so close, I was hooked! Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you how AMAZING the pizza & salad @ Giordano's is:thumbsup2
#2, The grounds are beautiful and so serene @ SSR, and I am totally hooked! The landscaping is still maturing, and I'll bet in 5-8 years it will be unmatched
#3, My kids are absolutely ADDICTED to the activities @ Community Hall. There were so many activities all the time, I literally had to drag them away to go to the parks-very surprised. I also HAVE to mention Sundee, one of the CM's for the activities, she was simply the best I've ever seen, my kids looked forward to showing her their treasures and crafts.

All in all, there are definitely negatives to the resort (mainly Artist's palette and other minor details) but the positives completely make up for them. We will definitely be staying @ SSR again, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I can say I would never have chosen to stay on my own points, but am so happy I got to with my DP's. It truly is wonderful and exceeded my expectations!:thumbsup2

LIFERBABE
06-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the update!!

Glad you enjoyed it so much. Sundee is one of the newer CM's at CH. She is great and very involved. I believe she spent many years at FW leading the campfires and other activities so a definite asset. We think CH at SSR has some of the best CM's on property.:goodvibes They are really involved and interact with the members, they dont just stand behind the counter and issue items.

They are like family and even when not staying there, we stop by CH to say hello to all our rec and Ch friends. My boys love it too. They would much rather schedule play dates and activities at CH than go to the parks. I have to compromise and we visit the parks once or twice and the rest of the time we enjoy the resort.

I think the Premium Outlets is the 5th park!:rotfl: Love that place. Lots of great deals. I can get there from SSR and back before Dh even knows Im gone! LOL!:rotfl:

Does Giordano's deliver? We check into AKV tomorrow and not on DDP either and that sounds really good!

thelionqueen
06-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the update!!

Glad you enjoyed it so much. Sundee is one of the newer CM's at CH. She is great and very involved. I believe she spent many years at FW leading the campfires and other activities so a definite asset. We think CH at SSR has some of the best CM's on property.:goodvibes They are really involved and interact with the members, they dont just stand behind the counter and issue items.

They are like family and even when not staying there, we stop by CH to say hello to all our rec and Ch friends. My boys love it too. They would much rather schedule play dates and activities at CH than go to the parks. I have to compromise and we visit the parks once or twice and the rest of the time we enjoy the resort.

I think the Premium Outlets is the 5th park!:rotfl: Love that place. Lots of great deals. I can get there from SSR and back before Dh even knows Im gone! LOL!:rotfl:

Does Giordano's deliver? We check into AKV tomorrow and not on DDP either and that sounds really good!

I don't know if Giordano's delivers, I would definitely find out (I could have sworn I read a post indicating they did deliver, but I'm not positive). They have, bar none, the best Caesar Salad I've ever had (simple) and my boys wanted to go back just for salad every single day (neither of them liked caesar salad before). The pizza did take 45 minutes to bake, which they tell you before you order, so if I went again, I would call ahead to have them get my pizza started, just fyi.

Also, another place we went to a couple times was Perkins. Another surprise to us because our Perkins in Denver is not that great (being kind here..lol). But they had the "kids eat free" deal for all meals (bfast, lunch, dinner) so we went. The breakfast was absolutely fantastic and the service was great too. We saved quite a bit of money there, and all really enjoyed it. The boys loved getting a free cookie after their meal too and the pies are to die for.

My boys wanted me to add that the poolside movies were great too, which they were. Somehow so relaxing and enjoyable while swimming :thumbsup2

kikiq
06-04-2009, 09:32 PM

As far as I can tell from the posted menus, there is only one sandwich that looks the same for both AP and RF. Other than that one item, the rest of the menu is totally different from the other.

We have eaten at SSR AP and Turf Club several times and haven't had a complaint yet about the food and my sil is REALLY picky. Now if we're talking about the AP "traffic flow", that's a whole nuther subject.

nhdisnut
06-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Nooooo! They already have hotdogs and chicken fingers for those who want "food court" fare. I like AP because they have unique offerings. I love to get a buffalo chicken flatbread and eat it at one of the shaded tables by the pool!

And on the flip side.....the resorts that have "food court" type offerings get requests to offer "something different". You just can't please everyone.

I do agree that the service flow could be improved, and expansion of the food service area is a good idea.

I agree completely!:)

nhdisnut
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
To the OP: Glad you had such a wonderful trip!:goodvibes