PDA

View Full Version : Just Back - Questions Anyone? - CBR

mickey0216
06-17-2002, 12:02 AM
We got back last night from our trip. I will supply a trip report (probably next weekend).

If you have any questions about CBR, please reply to this post.

I have started a similar thread for Theme Park questions. Click Here (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1914651#post1914651) to go to that thread.

jeank74
06-17-2002, 09:07 AM
Welcome back!!

My questions for you are:

1. Which building did you request/get at CBR?
2. How was the room? new, dirty, etc...
3. How was the bus?
4. How were the CMs at the resort?

Thanks for the info.

bkw86
06-17-2002, 01:02 PM
How long did check-in take?

BeanoC
06-17-2002, 02:32 PM
Do they still have the self-serve soda and coffee stations in the center of OPR?? Have they put bar codes on the mugs yet?

And did you notice - do they have a pin station outside by the pool or is it still just the rack inside? (You probably wouldn't have noticed this unless you are into pin trading) They used to have a nice pin station outside next to the hair braiding, but last year it was gone!

'Beano'

:cool:

mickey0216
06-17-2002, 02:47 PM
jeank - We requested Martinique 25. After a little difficulty we wound up in Martinque 23. The room (2334) was clean, and in good shape. The bus service was ok. The drivers always entered the resort through the "back entrance" and started at Jamaica, followed by Aruba, Barbados, Martinique and Trinidad. The CM's were fine. Nobody stood out as really good or bad.

bkw - We arrived atthe Custom House just before noon. It took about 30 minutes to get through line and complete the check-in process. At that point we did not have a room assigned to us, we had to make a couple calls to find out which building/room we had been assigned.

Beano - The self-serve beverage station is still there. The bar-coded mugs are not in use at CBR.

Note: There are signs at each food station and on each beverage dispense about the use of mugs (this stay, this resort). With that said, I saw no "mug police."

rab
06-17-2002, 06:15 PM
We just got back from CBR too. It was a beautiful resort, but very, very spread out. We requested Jamaica 45, but got in Jamaica 42. From our room to the food court was about a 10 minute walk. I enjoyed the walk because we saw lots of ducks and rabbits on the way, but it really didn't make the mug worth it. I took my own coffee to make in the room and took most of our own soft drinks. Sometimes I would use the mug for hot chocolate or decaf coffee. A couple of times I remembered half way to the food court that I forgot to pick up my mug to bring with me. Oops. Also wanted to mention that it was very quiet in the section we were in. Didn't hear door slammings, loud people, etc.

We arrived before noon (which is about three hours before check-in) and got our room right away. We took about 45 minutes to check in which we were prepared for. The unfortunate thing was they had cleaned our carpet that morning and the carpet was wet when we walked into the room. We called and they brought a large dryer to put in the room while we were gone that afternoon. Don't know if it was Florida or just the wet carpet, but it seemed like our room always felt damp throughout the week. The room was clean though and housekeeping did a great job. I had to call a couple of times to get additional towels after swimming and they were always prompt in getting them to us.

The bus system was GREAT! This was the first time in 10 visits to Disney that we stayed in one of their resorts, and the bus system made it worth the stay. Most of the time, Jamaica's bus stop was the first to pick up and the first to let off. Very little wait for any bus, anywhere. The only time we got in the car was to drive over to Fort Wilderness a couple of times. Parking there was easy.

As for the parks, Magic Kingdom was very, very crowded. I don't recall it ever being that crowded in previous visits. Also, Fast Pass is great for the ones (sometimes us) who have them, and horrible for the ones who don't. If you were in the stand-by line for a ride that had fast pass, you waited 20 to 30 minutes longer than the time they stated you had to wait. The other parks seemed fine re: crowds.

Any other questions, let me know too. Thanks.

Zoo Keeper
06-17-2002, 10:05 PM
Just a few questions?
Is there someplace to purchase water bottles and snacks while there? I may not have a car (unless the rental prices go down)
Did anyone request a refrigerator? If so what was the size and what was the daily charge?
How often did the buses arrive? Where you able to get a seat?
What was the frequency of the buses from the parks?

This is the first time we'll be staying at CBR and I'm a little anxious since I have read such mixed reviews.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

rab
06-18-2002, 06:32 PM
As for us, we never purchased snacks because we brought all of that with us. You can purchase water at all of the food court stands at $2.50. We didn't have a refrigerator, but if I recall, they were $10 a day.

As for the buses, they were great. We waited at the most 10 minutes for a bus. There were buses to all of the parks, the water parks, Downtown Disney, and the Internal (CBR) shuttle. We almost always got a seat leaving the resort, but sometimes the buses were pretty crowded coming back. If it didn't look like we might have a seat on one bus coming back, we would just let people in front of us and wait for the next bus. The bus system was no problem whatsoever.

This was our first stay at CBR too and it was a very pretty resort. I think you will enjoy it. If you have small kids, I suggest getting into Martinque or Trinidad North. Those villages are on the same side of the lake as the food court and not such a hike.

Hopefully Mickey0216 can help with some of your questions. Thanks.

Zoo Keeper
06-18-2002, 11:40 PM
Thanks rab!

56 days and counting!

mickey0216
06-19-2002, 02:19 PM
zoo keeper - I believe that rab answered al of your questions. BUt I'll add commentary. A room refrigerator is $10/day. If you have a medical need (IE: medicine that must be kept cold), I'v ebeen told that they wil waive the fee. CBR is VERY spreadout. While it is nice... IF you plan to use the food court or shop at the store/trading post, expect a walk... We were in in Martinique 23, which is 4 buildings from OPR/Food Court. It was a 5 minute walk from there. If you are in Barbados, Jamaica or Trinidad South, I'd expect a 15+ minute walk to OPR. You can buy water at OPR. NOTE: The price for beverages is lower in the store in OPR than if you bought the same/similar beverage from one of the food stands.

IMHO (in MY humble opinion): I found having the Custom House (check-in and guest services) in a differerent building from OPR to be a nuisance. While CBR is a nice resort, my family likes the food court at All Star Sports better. I am not sure that the price difference between All-Star's and CBR is worth it.

rab
06-19-2002, 05:22 PM
You're right Mickey0216. The resort is very spread out, and you can expect a long walk. The one thing this resort made me do was just take my time and slow down. That was good after long days at the parks. I enjoyed going out at night and sitting on the beach. It was just pleasant. We also saw the Epcot fireworks from the Jamaica Beach.

One other thing about the mugs - if you buy the refillable mug, buy it at the food court. The reason was that if you open the one in your room, you get charged all of the hotel taxes too on that mug. At least in the food court, you are only paying the food tax.

This was our first time at a Disney resort and we paid the $94.00 a night rate, but I don't think I would pay the $154.00 room rate that they normally charge. Paying the $94.00 a night is about what we pay at other offsite hotels. The Sheraton Safari had a deal going for $49 a night, and it was a very nice hotel. We stayed there about three years ago and paid $89 a night and thought it was well worth the $89.

But saying all of that, I think you will enjoy the Carribean Beach. I loved the tropical theme.

cindyfan
06-19-2002, 07:36 PM
We also just returned from WDW on Monday. :( It has taken a couple of days to stop crying.......:( I miss it so much already!

But anyway...we stayed at CBR from the 6th - 13th then over to the Poly.
Since I am intruding on your thread....to add my 2 cents about CBR I will keep this post about CBR.
We really like CBR, this was our 3rd time there. Love the theme, the beach, the pools. and the rooms are really nice now that they refurbished them.
We enjoyed the quiet evenings, except at "fireworks" time....the beach really got crowded with everyone trying to see Illuminations.

We arrived at 7pm and there was no wait. We had requested Martinique and they wanted to put us in Trinidad SOUTH!! I politely asked for ANYTHING BUT SOUTH!! He said there was NOTHING. Again I asked!...still NOTHING! Again I asked....saying I understood that requests are not guarenteed, but ANYTHING BUT SOUTH!! He tried to convince me that it wasn't that bad. I asked if I had to cross a busy road to walk to the food court, etc. He said "oh well, you don't walk! You take the bus!" I said "I am NOT taking the bus to the food court or the pool!!" So I politely and calmly asked if he could check OTHER RESORTS! FINALLY.....he said "let me check with my manager." 5 minutes later....he came out and we had a room in Martinique 26!! As I was Thanking him and telling him how grateful we were AND that I couldn't believe they were so filled up!! He then mentioned....."well the only rooms we had were a few here and there"....as he pointed to the map and showed us there were rooms in Jamaica and Barbados and Aruba! So why didn't he offer us any of those!!! Whatever!!!

Anyway the room was nice! We had a view of the parking lot.....but I didn't care about that! It was a 3 minute walk to the food court and main pool. But now that I think back.....the food court wasn't really worth it!!! Except the refillable mugs!
And it was nice to have the shops to buy snacks etc. As a matter of fact...we ended up getting breakfast from the store more than the food court. We got cereal, bagels, donuts and milk there! And for cheaper than the food court.

Mickey0216....I am so glad you posted your IMHO!! Because I agree! The custom house being so far away was a pain! We have stayed at ASMo and felt the food court better there!

Also wanted to mention we felt the bus system was okay....EXCEPT the bus to AK!!! That wait was about 30 minutes! and then we were on the bus forever because it goes to Blizzard Beach too! We took the car the second time!! MUCH FASTER!

All things considered......I would only stay there again if we could get the great rate again! Would NOT pay over $100/night! I think next time we will be going to CSR!

Anyway mickey0216....thanks for letting me add my thoughts too.:D

I am sure we crossed paths while we were there!!! Hope your trip was as magical as ours!!:D :D

PamOKW
06-19-2002, 08:46 PM
Just adding my $.02. I've never found the Custom House to be a problem. After check-in, I never needed to return there again.

Zoo Keeper
06-19-2002, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the info.....

One more question, I may not have a rental car. For folks that don't have a car, do they use golf carts to get them to their rooms after check-in? We stayed at the Poly many years ago and they did just that.

Once again, thanks for the help And if anyone has any suggestions/tips about the CBR, I'd love to read them.

mickey0216
06-19-2002, 09:30 PM
Zoo Keeper

Notes:
- We drove to WDW (not doing that again) from PA.
- We did not move our car for the duration of our stay!
- Not having a car, is NOT a problem if you are not going off-site
- At CBR they seem to use a van to move luggage to the various islands.

Comments:
- I needed to go back to the Custom House to buy E-Night passes since the family decided to do E-Night Tuesday night AFTER we checked in...
- We use the charge to the room privilege extensively. Since DW, DD, DS and I all had charging privileges (and DW lost her card), I needed to go to the Custom House to obtain a copy of our folio to ensure that all was well...

rab
06-19-2002, 09:54 PM
Did want to add something about a parking lot view. I wouldn't think a parking lot view would be any problem. We asked that we not have a parking lot view, but we sort of ended up a long way away from everything. It was a hike to the food court, a hike to the parking lot to the car, and a hike to the bus stop. In hindsight, being close to the parking lot wouldn't have been that big of deal. It had lots of trees.

Cindyfan, I was curious. What beach were you all watching the fireworks from? I just happen to be walking back from the food court one evening when I saw the fireworks starting. Kept walking until I ran across my daughter and husband on the Jamaica beach and we watched from there. We were the only ones out there watching from the Jamaica Beach. I've heard other beaches were more crowded during that time.

cindyfan
06-20-2002, 11:39 AM
rab, we were at the Martinique beach. Tons of kids screaming and running around while their parents kept yelling at them to "sit and watch the fireworks!"...I don't thing they cared!:rolleyes:
And all the hammocks were filled with the kids.....3 or 4 in each, all swinging the hammock trying to get it to flip all the way over!!
I think it was just that Martinique is so close to the Old Port Royale that many families just stopped there for the fireworks.
I had to go in search of a chair....ended up sitting on the sidewalk curb.

re: the Custom House being so far......we also tried to purchase E-night tickets....actually ended up getting them at Guest Relations at MGM...were there in the morning. And I just feel it would have been nice to have Guest Relations nearer to everything else. I found myself waiting in line at the shop just to ask the CM questions that Guest Relations should answer! I know I could have used the phone in the room....tried a couple times and got either busy signal or no answer. And it is just easier to talk to someone in person as you are going through the Old Port Royale.

re: parking lot view......certainly no big deal!! :D There are enough trees, etc that you really don't notice it! And it did make it easier to get the luggage out of the car and when we used the car....it was right there!

rab
06-20-2002, 01:20 PM
That was one of the reasons we thought it might be better to be in Jamaica or Aruba - the closer to the food court, the more kids. I shouldn't say that because I have two of my own who have been to Disney many, many times. They're teenagers now.:crazy:

As I said, we had no problem on the Jamaica beach with too many kids. One of my big wishes on this trip was to sit on that beach on a hammock, and there was no problem with that.

Jamaica Village was very quiet.