PDA

View Full Version : The NEW 'Lets Help Each Other Whilst On The Atkins Plan' Thread

Pixie Power!
06-16-2002, 03:48 AM
I posted here alittle while ago about needing a buddy to help me loose weight on the Atkins Plan. Ive now got a great support network to help me and in one PM I recieved from lvs_eeyore she thought that it would be a great idea to start a thread so that we can help each other.

So here it is :)

Post your tips, menu plans and also your progress and together we will reach our goals.

Emma

lvs_eeyore
06-16-2002, 07:58 AM
Oh this is so neat! Thanks for starting it Emma!

Im starting on Atkins this morning! I am psyched and ready to lose! Even though it's Father's Day dh has sweetly said he will make his famous omlets today. I almost feel like Im cheating eating eggs with cheese.

I do have to admit my carbs are going to be hard to give up. I love pasta, bread, rice and potatos. I have found a few good looking recipes for Mock ups of some of these things though on LowCarb Friends.

Yesterday we baked two chickens so that we would have some already cooked and frozen for quick dinners. Dinner seems to be my main downfall because I need it to be quick with our hectic schedules.

Anyone have any ideas for quick Atkins meals for dinner??

wovenwonder
06-16-2002, 10:31 AM
I'm looking forward to the tips -- as I am also going to be starting low carb this week.

Pixie Power,
How about posting a link over on the CB to this thread hoping some more people over there (that don't normally visit WISH) might be able to give us some pointers!
:D

Pixie Power!
06-16-2002, 03:19 PM
Great idea Jody I will do that link now.

I re-start Atkins on Monday. I have a lot of weight to loose but the prospect of DISCON is a good incentive. I want to feel more comfortable with myself when meeting all these great people for the first time. My down falls are like lvs_eeyore's, I dont seem to stop all day and then getting home and trying to plan a quick low carb meal - arrhhh! I also live on things like bread and potato's but I know that they will have to go:D

Good luck everyone!!

Emma

dBugged
06-16-2002, 06:53 PM
Hmm... I have to drop a little tonnage so I don't look like a beached whale at Typhoon Lagoon in September. I may join in also. My mother-in-law had great success on the Atkins diet and lost 30 pounds on it and looks great. I'm restarting my gym membership and have considered Atkins. Have any of you had success with it before? What's the average people have lost in say 2 months time...?

rbuzzotta
06-16-2002, 07:21 PM
O.K....I need support Emma.....I was so good for the first two weeks (lost about 5-7lbs) but this weekend LOST it!!

DH ordered chinese food Sat. night and we went to dinner (Italian restaurant) today for Fathers day! I totally carbed out!!

Back to Atkins tomorrow......at least I have a tummy ache now to prove I feel better on Atkins...........

lvs_eeyore
06-16-2002, 07:36 PM
You can do it!!! You have the right attitude. Just get right back on tomorrow morning!!

I keep hearing people say they get stomach aches from Carbs. I keep wondering if that hasnt been part of my stomach problems all along. It will be interesting to see if it gets better!

dBugged I would venture to say the average weight loss would be between 16-20 pounds in two months. A lot of it depends on how strictly you follow it and how much weight you have to lose. A heavier person will lose more than say the person who only has 10-15 to lose.

dBugged
06-16-2002, 08:24 PM
lvs_eeyore, Thanks for the comments. I figured it was in the 15-20 range. I figure if I lose 20 pounds I'll feel a lot better and my darn acid reflux will ease up a tad (usually snug clothes and a little extra weight cause it to bug up every now and then). I've got the Atkins book and will have to give it a quick re-read tonight to get all of the dirt I need to fly on this diet.

lvs_eeyore
06-16-2002, 09:21 PM
I also have acid reflux. I have heard others on another board I am on say that theirs has gotten much better and/or has gone away after they lost some of the weight on this diet. Im hoping mine will too!

dBugged
06-16-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by lvs_eeyore
I also have acid reflux. I have heard others on another board I am on say that theirs has gotten much better and/or has gone away after they lost some of the weight on this diet. Im hoping mine will too!

That's what my doctor keeps telling me also. And, since I've gained about 5-6 pounds over the past few months I've noticed that it is a little more noticable now than a few months ago. Hopefully the weight loss will do the trick.

:)

Mrs. Potato Head
06-17-2002, 09:26 AM
I am starting back on Induction today, as I really need to jump start this diet! I had lost 19 lbs. in about a two month period and was doing great! I started adding the carbs back in and then totally blew it! I would go back and fourth...I have gained back only 3 lbs. which is good for how much I have been eating. I do have to say that even though I have been on a binge, I do try to keep what I eat somewhat healthy. Anyhow, I'm back on!

I think the key to making this diet sucessful is to be prepared! It is very easy to just grab a granola bar, sandwhich, etc. when eating carbs. There is a lot that is ready to eat. With protein only, this is not as easy. I will prepare egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, have string cheese, turkey sticks, etc. all ready to go. I think when you have to take the time to prepare everything you eat, it get too frustrating. I also keep a supply of protein bars (I like EAS the best) and Carb-o-Lite bars on hand. Once I get past induction, I always carry individual pkgs. of peanuts with me, and have a supply of Atkins muffins in the freezer (these things are awesome!). Being prepared, that is the key!

Pixie Power!
06-17-2002, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone!!

Ive re-started my Atkins diet today as the world cup keeps on distracting me :D.

Todays menu was ...

bacon and egg for breakfast
chicken and a small salad for lunch
Chicken with a little gravy and mustard for dinner.

I agree with what everyone is saying here, its all about planning your meals and being prepared. Where I work i cant just go into the canteen and get low carb food, its all jacket potatos and sandwiches. Plan Ahead!!

I think we shoudl keep a running total of the weight we all loose as a team - what do you think? Im sure it will mount up very quickly.

Keep up the good work everyone & have a great week

Emma

wovenwonder
06-17-2002, 02:31 PM
I didn't prepare ahead of time and skipped breakfast. Had a large salad with greens, mild pepper rings, tomatoe, dill pickle and home made blue cheese dressing for lunch. Dinner will be broccoli cheese soup cooked chicken fillet with Broccoli and some home made cole slaw.

I know that I much eat much more starting tomorrow for this to be succesful!

Don't forget lots of veggies -- everyone! How about some veggie ideas.

kidzmom3
06-17-2002, 02:39 PM
I have been doing Atkins for about 6 weeks and have lost 26 lbs. But I fell of the wagon about a week ago and went a little crazy. I think I was drunk on Carbs, but I always felt slightly ill in the morning. So starting tommorow INDUCTION again. The key for me is to drink at least 100 oz of H2O a day, or I stall. I love diet soda, but when I drink it, I don't drink the water. Good luck everyone.
ps. i dislike intensely the Atkins pancake mix (talk about yuck!!)

Mrs. Potato Head
06-17-2002, 02:51 PM
kidzmom3 - LOL at about the pancake mix. Actually I don't find it too bad. I use a bit more water than they call for and add a small about of vanilla extract. This makes them thinner (not so rubbery) and flavorful.

rbuzzotta
06-17-2002, 06:56 PM
I got back on the bandwagon today. I couldn't eat breakfast today as I still felt yecky from carbing out over the weekend! I had ham and cheese roll ups for lunch and tuna for dinner. I did drink alot of Caffeine Free Diet Coke today though.

I had a lo carb bar and it actually made me gag! I have eaten them before but now they are getting to me. I have to go shopping in the morning and plan to get chicken, romaine lettuce, Caesar dressing and make Chicken Caesar salad for a few days.

I just have to keep remembering how I felt go off the diet this weekend!! I got really bloated! Anyone else get bloated when they go off the diet?

WE CAN DO IT LADIES!!!!!!

Debbie in Townsville
06-18-2002, 09:12 AM
I lost 25lbs last year just counting calories and doing my own thing, but I haven't been able to get it together to finish losing another 25lbs. I got the Atkins book yesterday and today is my first day of induction. It felt WONDERFUL to have deviled eggs for breakfast!

Just wondering what Atkins products you recommend. I was thinking of getting the bread mix and bake mix. Are they only available from the Atkins website, or are they sold in stores?

Thanks for the inspiration!

wovenwonder
06-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Some Questions....
Did anyone else get a headache their first day eating low carb?

What did YOU have for breakfast?;)

I really love the fact that so many of us have started this same type program this week! I'm looking forward to sharing our ups and downs (more ups ofcourse) and lots of hints and suggestions!

I can't weight to weigh in on monday and post back here!!

Pixie Power!
06-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Q&A's

Just wondering what Atkins products you recommend. I was thinking of getting the bread mix and bake mix. Are they only available from the Atkins website, or are they sold in stores?

I would like to know this also. I know that a lot of things are not normally available here in the UK that are in America but at least it will give me an idea of what to look out for.

Did anyone else get a headache their first day eating low carb?

I didnt, but my sister did. I think its kinda expected if you drink alot of coffee as its the lack of caffine that gives you a headache. It lasted about a week for her, but after that she felt better then ever.

What did YOU have for breakfast?

Of a weekend I have a full fry up (well its grilled but you know what I mean;)) I have eggs, bacon and sausage with a couple of grilled tomato's. I also sometimes have egg white omlettes or if Im eating on the go hard boiled eggs.

Hope this helps.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Emma

Mrs. Potato Head
06-18-2002, 03:14 PM
I only have a minute, but want to answer some of your questions!

I like the Atkins muffin mixes, the bread mix is gross. The bake mix is okay. To me, all other Atkins products, especially the Advantage bars are disgusting! I like EAS protein bars, and Carb-o-Lite bars. You can find the products at most grocery stores and at health food stores, but sometimes the web site is quite a bit cheaper.

Headaches, yes, big time! Usually black coffee will take care of that for me!:D

For breakfast, don't only think "breakfast" foods. I eat tuna salad, chicken, turkey sticks, turkey burgers, omlettes, turkey bacon/sausage (can you tell, I don't eat beef or pork?!).

Gillian
06-18-2002, 07:54 PM
It sounds like everyone is doing great, but I sure could use some support. I've been off Atkins for about a month now. I've been having other health problems, and we were travelling. Yesterday & today I've had this horrible stomach thing. A virus, I think. I barely ate anything, but it was all carbs. I guess it's a memory of comfort food?

I need to go back on induction but I can't seem to make myself start. I only have 15-20 left to go, but now I'm afraid I'll gain back what I've lost! Why can't I do this? It's been easy before. Help!

I'm going to go have water, even though I want lemonade :(

lvs_eeyore
06-18-2002, 07:58 PM
I hope you all wont be mad at me but Im afraid Im going to have to bow out of Atkins. I am so sick from induction it isnt funny. I am horribly weak, Ive been getting really bad palpitations of the heart since last night and Ive been really fuzzy brained all day. It doesnt look like this is the diet for me. I will lose the weight though. As soon as I am feeling better I am going to start Weight Watchers.

Gillian
06-18-2002, 08:02 PM
I hope you feel better soon, lvs_eeyore!

It can be tough for a few days. A friend of mine CANNOT do Atkins, because if she goes that low in carbs she feels awful. Instead she does Carbohydrate Adddicts diet & it works really well for her. She has to have the one carb-ful meal a day that the diet allows her. It's really a great plan.

Best of luck with weight watchers :D

cmbelle
06-18-2002, 09:01 PM
lvs_eeyore - so sorry about you feeling bad. I know someone else that had the same problem. I would say I do the Carb addicts diet plan, and that works very well for me. However, I get sick if I eat the big breakfast - eggs, sausage, etc. I find that a low carb shake in the morning is best for me - no headaches. But regardless, stick with us. No one cares which plan you're on, we just all want to lose weight.

For buying low carb products, I do like the Atkins bars. The chocolate tastes more like chocolate. The EAS low carb bars are okay, they are bigger, but I don't think they have much flavor. I would suggest buying a single bar of a flavor you think would be good; then if you don't like it, you didn't waste money buying a whole box.

lvs_eeyore
06-19-2002, 07:02 AM
Thank you for offering to let me stay with you guys. I wont be doing Atkins but I know a lot about the diet and I have his newest book so I can look things up for you guys.

Im going to call today to get the WW schedule and then join. I know they have an express class on Sat morning at 7:30 AM so I might just join that one. Im up anyway LOL

Debbie in Townsville
06-19-2002, 08:57 AM
Gillian - I know exactly how you feel! I've been trying half-heartedly to get back losing weight for 6 months. I know weight lose and management is a lifelong task, but that is just so overwhelming! It helped me to break it down into shorter time periods - I CAN do induction for 2 weeks. Then I'll evaluate - can I stay on induction another week or do I need to go up to the next level. One or two weeks at a time I can handle.

I did order some stuff from the Atkins website last night. Right now, you get a free trial pack with every order. The trial pack had a 5 day suppy of vitamins, 2 different bars, a shake, and coupons. Shipping is $7.95. I ordered the bake mix, muffin mix, some kind of 'chips' made of cheese, and Bun mix. I was SO glad to find the 'chips' - I want to have something on hand to take to the movies so I won't get the popcorn. And I'll be able to have a bun with my cheeseburger! I didn't get any of the bars or desserts this time - I'm still worried about anything 'sweet' tasting triggering a binge.

Have a great low-carb day!

Debra

Gillian
06-19-2002, 09:15 AM
I'm back on the program. Day 1 of induction. I had my eggs, cheese & some water. Of course I had to share the eggs with DS & D-cats! I'll have a cup of coffee with cream on the way to Gymboree. Lunch out with DH shouldn't be a problem if I stick to the chef's salad & oil & vinegar. Or maybe a creamy dressing, but I'm always afraid of hidden carbs.

Does anyone take the vitamins? I know I should take something besides a multi, but there are so many! And they are expensive.

Have a great day everyone! :Pinkbounc

wovenwonder
06-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Oh my it's only day 3 for me!! I could not find anything appetizing for breakfast. I went out for a cup of coffee and saw the hot dogs and kraut calling my name! I had a dog with kraut and a little ketchup minus the bun. I am not doing Atkins --- just trying to cut down on my carbs!

I was feeling sick all day yesterday -- headache, upset stomach. But I'm not sure if I had a 'bug' stuck in me or not. I know that I was needing to eat more -- but, it made me sick to think of eating any meat or veggies. We ended up going out for dinner -- and I did not make the best choices -- but they were much better than I would have made in the past. I had a salad with bacon dressing, red beets, and a broiled crab cake (no bread or potatoes for me!). I felt so much better after supper. And I am feeling okay today so far also.

I am losing too ----- since our vacation in April until monday I was down 3 pounds. I weighed in (officially) monday and tuesday A.M. I was down 3 more pounds and this morning another pound.

So how has YOUR week been going?
:p

wovenwonder
06-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Two links to check out ---
http://www.geocities.com/cherilynn82000/

http://www.atkinsfriends.com/frames/bb.html

Pixie Power!
06-19-2002, 12:22 PM
lvs_eeyore - Im sorry to hear that you found things a little hard on this plan, I hope your feeling better soon and that WW works for you. Please stick around, we all need as much support as we can get.

Its day 3 for me too and so far its going ok. I had sausage for breakfast. Egg, cheese and tomato salad for lunch and chicken curry for dinner.
Yesterday was much the same but with steak and salad for my dinner.

Im dying to weigh myself but i will wait until next Monday :D

Keep up the great work everyone!!

Emma

rbuzzotta
06-19-2002, 01:15 PM
lvs_eeyore, try eating a few banana's!! Atkins does lower your Potassium intake which could contribute to palpaitations!!

I BLEW it again today! Stupid me made brownies for my DD's and godson............yes, I couldn't resist!!!!! Not one but two!!! OUCH!

I will continue the rest of the day on Atkins.....and hopefully not have any slip ups. I walk the Relay For Life this Friday night into Saturday and already have planned my menu for this.....Since I will be up and walking 18 hours (no, I won't walk all 18 hours) I know I will need munchies....I bought lots of cheese and peperoni and will make Chicken Caesar salad. I also bought some Almonds for the crunchy that I need!!

Good luck everyone...........

WE CAN DO IT!!

wovenwonder
06-24-2002, 03:57 PM
What happened to everyone? I was looking forward to a GREAT support group here! I am down 3 pounds eating low carb for one week. AND FEELING TERRIFIC!

helenk
06-24-2002, 05:20 PM
I have just been lurking these last 2 weeks, but have found the info on the low carbs very helpful.....but I really miss my pop tart in the morning. I have been walking each day as well and I have to say I feel really good and I have lost 10 pounds! Let me say this though I need to lose about 60 more so I have a long way to go. I know that your first week or so you lose a lot of water weight, but if I can stick to this and keep up my walking I really feel that I can do this!
Thanks for all the tips I have read so far on this board.

kidzmom3
06-24-2002, 05:23 PM
Hi everyone, checking in for this week. I did not have a good weekend. i was a cheater!!!! Oh well, pick yourself up and try again. Today I have done well, chicken casear for lunch, sugar free jello for a snack and a small bag of peanuts (6g of carbs). But I only drank 1 32 oz of water so before I go to bed i had better start drinking!!! Only 6 hrs and 68ozs to go!!

cmbelle
06-24-2002, 08:34 PM
I was afraid to weigh myself this morning. I ate all week-end long, including this morning (1/2 bagel with butter). Ouch!! I will not give up. I'll start back tomorrow.

Pixie Power!
06-25-2002, 02:37 AM
Im a big cheater too!!!:(

I must try harder
I must try harder
I must try harder

Emma

kidzmom3
06-25-2002, 08:08 AM
okay, so I was just about to put a bagel in the toaster and said to myself you lost 27 lbs and now you are giving up!! So I am resolved to take it one day at a time and at least for today I can do it!! Low carbing today. I also like the atkinsfriends.com for more support. I don't usually post but they do have some good ideas and recipes. Last night my ds 8 and I went for a walk so heres day 2 and I have got to get some exercise. Good luck today everyone. It didn't go on in a day so it won't come off that way either.

Debbie in Townsville
06-25-2002, 09:33 AM
wovenwonder - I lost 3 lbs my first week too! I lost them all on the first 4 days, then didn't lose anything over the weekend. I think I drank a little too much coffee and started getting fancy with my cooking - then found out on Lowcarbfriends that spices have carbos. Back to basics this week!

I also tried the mock danish recipe over the weekend. I think that kicked me out of ketosis, too! No more mock danish while I'm in induction.

I got my order from the atkinscenter website last night. I put most of it away (out of sight-out of mind) until induction is over. The trial pack was nice and helped make up for the shipping charge.

Have a great low-carb day!

rbuzzotta
06-27-2002, 08:13 PM
I have been really good since Sunday on Atkins (again........). I haven't gotten on the scale but I feel really bloated!!! I don't recall being bloated before on Atkins, just the opposite! Could be "that time of the month" but not sure...........

Anyone ever feel this way??? I actually feel like I have gained!

wovenwonder
07-01-2002, 03:35 PM
Is everyone still sticking to the plan? Week two of low-carbing I have lost another 3 pounds!

247/238/139
5'2"

Disney845
07-01-2002, 05:15 PM
Hi guys I just found you. I love the DIS and am so glad to see this support group going on. SO and I decided we really needed to lose some weight and on Sat. I bought the Atkin's book. We went grocery shopping for lots of meats and cheese (anyone notice how yummy foods (read high carb) are so much cheaper than meat? Oh well. We started Sunday. Breakfast was scrambled egg with cheese, sausage, and bacon. Lunch we had turkey roastbeef and cheese roll ups with a small salad. Dinner was tuna salad and sugar free jello. Today I feel so sick. I have had a monster headache since last evening. I am used to Migraines as I have had them for years and they usually make me sick to my stomach. I had to skip the breakfast and could barely swallow down the small salad I had for lunch. For dinner we are supposed to have ham, but I can barely walk into the kitchen the thought of food is so disgusting to me. I am only on the second day but I do not know if I can do this. I am already sick of water and iced tea. I want a drink with flavor. I have never been a coffee drinker and I dislike the aftertaste of diet soda. I am so sorry to be sitting here complaining, but I guess I just need some encouragement.

cmbelle
07-01-2002, 07:00 PM
I hope you're feeling better now. Some people do get pretty sick with Atkins. I got a headache the first day, so I stopped Atkins and just went with the Low-Carb diet (at least my version of it). I low carb for breakfast and lunch, and then eat sensibly for supper. I lose about 2 pounds per week - not bad at all.

EUROPA
07-01-2002, 07:42 PM
I just found this thread....just wanted to say keep up the good work to those that are on the diet. You will see results. Remember everybody's Body is different so you will see different results.

I started on Atkins about 4 weeks ago and last time I checked I was 35 lbs with alot more to go. So it can be done. Remember eat until you are full. Eat hamburger, chicken, bacon, sugar free jello, surgar free ice-pops( just found these in the store and they are great) unilt you are full. Drink tons of water. Once you break the carb habit it's easy to stay on the diet.

Good Luck.

Debbie in Townsville
07-02-2002, 09:19 AM
Rosemary - Yes, I got very bloated too when I was PMSing and gained 2lbs. But I weighed myself a few days after I started and lost the 2lbs of water PLUS 2lbs.

Disney845 - I felt TERRIBLE for a few days doing Atkins (I think day 2 & 3), but when it passed, I felt SO MUCH better! DD had just finished their DARE and health unit at school and was teasing me that I had to DETOX! Now, I have no cravings, staying on Atkins is so much easier for me and I'm not even tempted by the treats I get for the kids, I have a constant energy instead of alternating between sugar highs and lows all day. It helped me to take a good multivitamin/mineral and to divide up my carbs evenly through the day rather than saving them up for a big salad at dinner. Once I started adding some mushrooms or tomato to my omelet in the morning, some sliced tomato at lunch or a small salad, then another small serving of legal veggies at dinner, the yucky feeling went away.

wovenwonder
07-02-2002, 02:40 PM
The first couple of days eating low carb I felt horrible. I felt like I had the flu. Bad headache, stomach upset and dizziness. By day 4 I felt better than ever! Give it a good week before you give up.

I have found a heavenly treat! I just bought an Atkins Endulge Chocolate Peanut Candy Bar. It was one of the BEST pieces of candy I have EVER had!

I know it's been mentioned before -- but this message board site for low carb is TERRIFIC!
http://www.pfangserver.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

Also -- here is a link to a thread with LOTS of links to low carb info.
http://www.pfangserver.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6679

I have started a web page showing my low carb success. Ofcourse it is still in the 'before' stage -- but I'm looking forward to the day that I can post some 'after' pics too.:p
www.wovenwonder.com/jodysjourney

Debbie in Townsville
07-03-2002, 09:50 AM
Jody - Nice website! I see your from Pa Dutch Country, we'll be spending the holiday weekend there. I'm already thinking that lunch at Plain & Fancy will be a planned cheat, but the rest of the time I want to stick with low carbs. Have you been to Hershey Park? Is there anyplace I can get a chef's salad for lunch? Otherwise I'll do the hotdog with no bun. Any tips for visiting the area?

I have been dying to try some of the low carb chocolate snacks, but I'm worried that it will start me on a binge.

rbuzzotta
07-06-2002, 09:53 AM
I didn't get an exact starting weight but I believe I have lost between 5 and 8 lbs on the induction phase. The bloating I had earlier has gone away (yes, I believe it was a monthly thing!). I have been walking the lake in my town (3.3 miles) while my DD's are at camp in the morning. My legs ache but I am getting used to it!!

Bottom line: I feel good!!!! And I survived all the July 4 baked goods!!

Hope everyone else is doing good too!!

Keep it up!

Rhonda
07-08-2002, 08:44 AM
Disney845: You will feel yucky (headache, etc) for a couple of days while your body goes through carb withdrawl. But, after a couple of days you will feel GREAT! Your energy will be much higher, you'll sleep better, and you won't get the "highs and lows" during the day!

Suggestion for drink: Buy Splenda and use that to make Koolaid, instead of sugar! You won't be able to tell the difference in taste, and you can drink all the different flavors! :D

TinkerPixie
07-13-2002, 07:56 PM
Anybody still doing Atkins? I started three days ago, and was hoping to find a few folks around to commiserate with! :)

Today was definitly my yucky Atkins Flu day....headaches body aches, just did not want to do anything.

Hope everyone else is still doing well with the plan!:wave:

cmbelle
07-13-2002, 10:46 PM
Good luck!! I just couldn't stick with the total Atkins diet. Instead, I have started drinking Slim-fast for breakfast, eating a low-carb bar for lunch, and I try to eat a big old tuna salad for supper. I've still lost weight, but a little slower. But, YOU CAN DO IT!!

wovenwonder
07-15-2002, 01:49 PM
I'm still here and sticking with it (for the most part). Week one and two lost 3 pounds each. Week three gained back 5 pounds (ugly TOM). Week four down a pound but still working at it!

Be sure to check out the low carb message boards which I linked in another post! They are terrific.

Tamie
07-16-2002, 09:37 AM
I agree with Wonderwoven. The website that she posted is awesome. Give alot of great tips, recipes and suggestions. If you are having problems sticking to the diet, stalled or other questions, they have alot of great answers.

Between the Dis and Atkinsfriends, you cant go wrong.

Good luck everyone.

BTW, Atkins Blueberry Muffins are absolutely wonderful, they taste just like a real blueberry muffin, the banana ones are ok but not quite the real thing.

Also, I forgot to tell you. If you want to keep track of your carb/fat/protein intake, try www.fitday.com It is a great site to keep track of any or all the above. You can customize it, adding food that you eat that it not in there. I find it great to use. Check it out.

TinkerPixie
07-16-2002, 08:50 PM
I spent today trying on everything in my closet! :) :bounce:
Today is only day 6 and I have lost 7 pounds!

Absolutly amazing, I haven't been hungry once, and I haven't had any cravings for sweets. I used to have the cravings so bad that I would literally jump up and run to the kitchen. Anyone else ever open a can of chocolate frosting and dig in cause ya had to get that sweet stuff? :( I am ashamed to admit it, but I have, it was like I wasn't in control of my body.

Atkins may just be my personal miracle!

Good luck everyone!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

wovenwonder
07-17-2002, 09:59 AM
If you missed Dateline NBC last night == check out this link for the video and the written transcript!
http://www.msnbc.com/news/780727.asp

TIdoublegaER
07-17-2002, 08:18 PM
I have been doing WW and have lost 7lbs doing that, but I want to drop a lot before we go to WDW next month, so I started Atkins again last Sunday. So far, I have lost another 5lbs!! I have done Atkins in the past and lost 30 lbs, but then I got burned out and eventually gained it all back. I don't get the headaches or flu like symptoms, but I can only handle Atkins for about a month at a time. Hopefully I will lose at least another 5 by the end of next week!

TinkerPixie
07-20-2002, 11:43 AM
How's it going folks, haven't seen any new posts in a few days, and thought I'd check up on ya'll.

I'm still on Atkins....day 9, and still hanging in there!:bounce:

kidzmom3
07-20-2002, 02:15 PM
i was doing atkins and doing great. I completely stopped due to many factors but partly laziness. I intend to restart induction on Monday morning. I am going shopping and hardboiling my eggs to get ready. Anyone else interested in a reinduction. How about a water challenge? I challenge to drink 80 oz of H2O on monday. Good luck to anyone trying to lose weight. An addiction and a health crisis all rolled up into one delightful problem.

rbuzzotta
07-20-2002, 02:27 PM
Still doing it....I believe I am starting week 4!! I have strayed a little........adding cream to my coffe and just couldn't resist my cousins shortbread cookies and broccoli salad at a family reunion last week!!

I leave in less than 2 weeks and plan to go strong again starting tomorrow (I ran out of eggs!!).

I have been living on chickenn caesar salads.........

wovenwonder
07-22-2002, 03:31 PM
rbazzotta,
I make my own Broccolli Salad -- and it helps get me thru some of the tougher days;) :

Broccolli Florets
Crumbled cooked bacon (reserve drippings)
Shredded cheddar cheese
chopped onion

Dressing -- Mayo, bacon drippings, and Splenda to taste

Mix first four ingredients and toss with Dressing.

YUMMY!

cmbelle
07-22-2002, 11:06 PM
WATER CHALLENGE - alrighty then, I drank 8 cups of water today. Not bad for me. I'll try to get more in tomorrow. I am feeling a little bloated though.

TIdoublegaER
07-24-2002, 01:08 PM
I'm on day 11 of Atkins, so far I've lost 7 lbs. I was hopeing for more, but I've had some stressful events going on and have skipped a few meals and have not been drinking my water. My cat has been losing weight and the vet isn't sure what is wrong with her, so I have been really stressed out about that. Although, I haven't gone off the deep-end and eaten anything that is not on Atkins, so that is a big plus. I'm just afraid my body is going to go into starvation mode. Leaving for WDW in 2 1/2 weeks, hope to lose at least another 5 lbs before then.

arkiepaula
07-24-2002, 09:44 PM
I'm doing Protein Power, trying to keep my carbs below about 20. I did this several years ago and did not lose as much weight as I did inches. I also have acid reflux as some of you have mentioned and hope this may help that. I'm sailing on the Disney Wonder on October 31 and hope to have about 20 pounds off by then, but will be happy with anything. Keep up the good work everybody!

:Pinkbounc

cyndilou01
07-24-2002, 10:01 PM
I also did the atkins and lost about 40 pounds in 5 months...the most important things is that if you mess up .... o well do not beat yourself up.... remember you are doing this for you....
My George Forman grill.... what can I say... I could not do the diet without it...... you can throw frozen steaks, pork chops anything and in about 4- 5 minutes they are done... get one if you do not have on... I have wore mine out need to get a new one
I started the diet eating bubba burgers seasoned with season salt and then putting pepper jack cheese... I would build my burger the way I like it but with no bread and then ate it like a steak with Broccoli low in carbs small salad....
I stayed between 20 - 25 carbs a day... walk and drink water...
breakfast is important scramble those eggs and fry that bacon yum yum...
I am going on a cruise in November and I want to get back on it... but I just had a accident and my mouth is in bad shape...I cannot chew anything hard like steak... a banana is really stretching things... but I know that I can get back on it when this is over....
I also have stomach problems as spastic colon and with this diet my stomach never hurt...

happy dieting... we can do it if we really want to....

TinkerPixie
07-25-2002, 10:02 PM
:Pinkbounc :teeth: Day 14! I made it all the way thru Induction! :teeth: :Pinkbounc

To celebrate, I tried on everything in my closet, A lot of things fit again! I'm so glad I finally found something that works for me.
Hope everyone else is still doing good! :D

cyndilou01
07-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Congrats!!!! you will do just fine.... trying on the clothes can be a real eye opener.... you deserve the best steak money can buy....
isnt it nice to know that is on the diet...

rbuzzotta
07-26-2002, 10:47 AM
I put on a pair of jeans today and actually feel comfortable in them!!! I think I am STUCK!! I haven't seen the scale move in the last 5 days or so and have been creeping up on my carbs.

I believe it is the coffee with sweet n low and a little cream. I am still walking the lake in my town (3.3 miles) about 4 days a week and feel my legs getting tighter YEAH!!!

We leave for WDW next Friday and I am scared that I will regain it all (going for 15 days)!! I want to continue to walk 4 times per week (even if I use the treadmill).

The only problem...........those yummy desserts in Disney!!! Especially ice cream!!!

I'll chekc in before I leave and then when I get back......wish me luck!

cyndilou01
07-26-2002, 11:03 AM
we started using splenda... now for the cream in the coffee use the cream in the can that you squirt on dessert ...Reddi Whip...
less than one gram of carb... my husband is addicted.. even when he is off the diet he still uses that in his coffee... very rich and creamy tasting....

desserts...have you tried this... sugar free choc. instant pudding..
whipping cream. whip it up and oh my goodness .. choc. mousse tasting and less than 3 carbs per serving... top it with reddi whipp .... yum yum....

everyone please share a good recipe....

arkiepaula
07-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Here's another dessert recipe..........

Take any flavor of sugar free jello (larger size..I have only tried Cherry)
and prepare according to instructions don't put the cold water in yet. Then put it in a blender and mix 8 oz of cream cheese with it until smooth. Then put in the cold water and let it set up. It takes longer to firm up than regular jello, but it is much better. The whole thing is about 8 grams of carbs if you use regular cream cheese, i think. I also top it with Cool Whip.

I got this off a low carb forum.........

TinkerPixie
07-26-2002, 07:51 PM
cyndilou01, that sounds like a great idea... I'm gonna try the Reddi Whip, now that I'm past Induction. It sounds delicious.

I'm having such a problem with breakfast though, I have never been a salty eater at breakfast, I sure do miss my cereals! :(

Some one on the Atkins site, suggested cottage cheese and chopped nuts mixed together. I'm gonna try that too.

Keep it up everyone!

cmbelle
07-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Let me know how the cottage cheese and chopped nuts turn out. That sounds good. I get sick with the eggs and sausage for breakfast, so I need something a little lighter.

rbuzzotta
07-28-2002, 06:52 PM
Boy do I feel sick!!! Had a b-day party for my parents today. Had boiled Maine lobsters, hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken caesar salad....everything good for lo carbers EXCEPT...the cake and brownies.........I couldn't resist. Had a small piece of each but boy am I feeling it now.......

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz....I need some relief.............

We leave Friday for the world........I am excited..........

Hope everyone else is doing well.

dizneegirl
08-01-2002, 01:51 PM
OK, I'm going to play, too.

We (DH & I) tried Atkins a couple of years ago... got so sick the first week (I couldn't even eat until dinner time after about 3 days, and he got dizzy & had fuzzy eyesight) we gave it up. But I've decided I HAVE to do something, and it worked while it lasted, so here we go again.

This time though, I'm not sticking to Atkins strictly, but rather, loosely basing my own lo-carb, low(er) fat "diet" on it.

So, anyway... here's Day One. Wishing you all, and us, luck.

Had a yummy lunch today... thought I'd share:

Lettuce Tuna Rolls

1 can tuna
1-2 T mayo
1 T pickle relish with jalepeno (Mt. Olive brand - good stuff!)
a drizzle of hot pepper juice

Mix ingredients into tuna salad. Spoon equal amounts onto 4 boston lettuce leaves. Roll up leaves. Serves 2 (or 1 if you're hungry!)

From my calculations, it's only about 4 grams of carbs for the whole recipe... there are 4 grams/tablespoon in the pickle relish, and just trace in the lettuce & pepper juice. It was yummy... refreshing, light, and a little spicy!

wovenwonder
08-01-2002, 02:54 PM
That tuna salad sound delish'! I've also seen dill pickle relish with zero carbs. Maybe I'll try to substitute with that. Thanks for the idea.

TinkerPixie
08-02-2002, 10:20 PM
Well, I finally tried the cottage cheese with nuts for breakfast, and it was yummy. I used about a cup of cottage cheese, and a half cup of chopped nuts. Then I sprinkled it with 1 packet of equal, and poured about two tablespoons of sugar free maple syrup on top. It was sort of like having my breakfast cereal again. I may not do it too often, but, it is so good for a change.

dizneegirl
08-03-2002, 12:34 PM
How about another recipe?

Yesterday for lunch, I browned 1/2 lb. of Tennessee Pride hot sausage, and 1/2 lb. of ground beef... added half a medium cabbage (about 1 lb.), sliced thin (like cole slaw), and cooked 10-15 minutes over medium-high heat until coleslaw was somewhat wilted. Added a little ground black pepper to the meat as it was cooking, then added 2 teaspoons of low-sodium soy sauce.

Came out good... a little spicy, a little crunchy. Whole recipe came to 26 grams of carbs... 4 servings easy as a main meal, 6-8 as a side.

Today, I'm not hungry at all, DH is ravenous. At least breakfast didn't turn my stomach like last time we tried!

Rhonda
08-05-2002, 02:18 PM
arkiepaula: remember to get at LEAST 20 carbs per day! Your body won't like it if you stay below 20! It's not healthy, and you will stop losing very fast! Try to stay between 20-25 at first, then after the first two weeks, add a little bit at a time.

Good luck!!

arkiepaula
08-05-2002, 02:37 PM
Thanks Rhonda,
It's been a little over two weeks and I can definitely tell a difference, although I refuse to weigh. I go to the doctor tomorrow for my annual checkup and will find out then what my weight is. Bought some Ketostix (another brand) yesterday and am definitely in ketosis. I am going a little over 20 carbs each day, but try not to by much.

dizneegirl
08-06-2002, 11:31 AM
How about a snack recipe?

Made these last night, they're yummy!

Sausage Cheese Balls

2 packages hot sausage (the bulk packages - I used Tennessee Pride)
1 1/2 cups Atkins baking mix
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1/2 cup jalepeno, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Form into 1" balls, and place on non-greased cookie sheet (I'd use one with sides, there's some grease that bakes out). Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

NOTE: My balls came out a little bigger than 1", and I had 45 of them. I also cooked them longer than 15 minutes.

The whole recipe is about 30 grams of carbs. About .75 g per ball (if you make the bigger balls). Makes a YUMMY snack. Spicy & filling... you feel like you've actually eaten something.

You can also freeze the uncooked balls... cook some now, some later. I would guess you could halve the recipe as well, if you didn't want to make so many at once.

arkiepaula
08-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Just got back from the doc......They did a bone density scan and he wants me to take calcium supplements......any suggestions for low carb supplements? He gave me some Viactiv, but they have 4 carbs each and I have to take 2 a day.

dizneegirl
08-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Before I started, I'd been taking Tums for calcium... I'm still taking them - it doesn't seem to have affected the diet at all, though the carb count isn't listed on the package.

DixieDreamer
08-08-2002, 09:18 AM
Hi Everyone! I have been doing Atkins for almost three weeks now. The first few days I was feeling AWFUL from the carb addiction withdrawal! I never imagined I would have that much of a reaction. Felt MUCH better at about day four. I lost 6 lbs in the first week and a half. I am not feeling hungry and as long as I think ahead - the meal planning has been easy.

Here's my question for all of you (especially those who have done this for a while).... I seem to be stalled out on weight loss at the moment. I even gained a pound yesterday?? :confused:

I have been trying to be very careful about hidden carbs. I suspicion that is likely the problem though. Here is a sample day's menu:

Breakfast
3 slices of bacon
2 eggs

or

3 eggs scrambled with 1 ounce of cheese and 1/4 cup of diced peppers and onions

Lunch

1 cup of lettuce
1 ounce of shredded cheese
ham slices or chicken or beef slices
creamy ranch dressing

Dinner
Steak
1 cup of lettuce
creamy ranch dressing

or

2 all beef hamburger patties
slice of sharp cheddar cheese
mayo

and if I am hungry in the evening I will eat a Carb Solutions bar which has a net carb count of 2.

Okay... so what am I doing wrong? Is it my metabolism? Are there too many carbs hidden in this typical day? HELP?!!!

wovenwonder
08-08-2002, 11:50 AM
The low carb message board which I frequent often mentions that cheese can be a staller. They say that you should never have more than 3 oz of cheese in a day and even that amount sometimes stalls people. Do you visit the lowcarbfriends message board? I almost always find answers to my questions over there PLUS lots of hints. Some people go on a fat fast to jump start weight loss again. I don't know exactly how this works but it is in the Atkins book and also mentioned often on the message board.

DixieDreamer
08-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Jody - could you provide me the link to the low carb friends message board? I have not heard of that before. Sounds like a good resource. :)

Debbie in Townsville
08-09-2002, 08:17 AM
The Lowcarb friends bulletin board is on:
http://www.atkinsfriends.com/

Also watch out for the low-carb bars. They stall me even when I stay under my carb count. I can eat more carbs if I stick with real food and still lose weight.

DixieDreamer
08-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Debbie... I was coming to that conclusion on my own. I did a little experiment to test my idea. I have the metostix to check for ketosis. I checked myself early in the day (before any carb bars) and it was a nice deep pink. Later in the evening, after having a carb bar for a snack... I checked again... and guess what?! I was showing "No Ketones Detected" or just barely pink. So... I think that is the problem. I need to lay off of them and just stick to the traditional foods. I really liked having them as a "sweet" occassionally. Guess I better try some of the delicious sounding recipes shared here instead.

Thank you everyone for your help. I plan to keep checking in here to get ideas and help.

:)

Debbie in Townsville
08-10-2002, 08:45 AM
I know Atkins warns about aspartame, but I have sugar-free jello with whipped cream every night. It hasn't stalled me, and it gives me something sweet to eat. It's also satisfied my cravings for fruit.

I'm looking for sugar-free cranberry jello, so I can have it with my turkey instead of cranberry sauce.

The Atkins muffins are very good, and they haven't stalled me either. For a sweet dessert or breakfast, I cut a muffin in thirds so you end up with three rounds. Dip in an egg mixture of a whisked egg and heavy cream. Fry in LOTS of butter. It makes a good french toast! I've made it with the lemon poppyseed, blueberry, and banana muffins. They all came out very good. I got some sugar-free syrup and they are heaven! You can also use the muffin mix and make a loaf, but the muffins are easier for me to control my portions.

I've also made the corn muffins and they are good too. I had them with a bowl of homemade no-bean chili while everyone else had their cornbread. They said mine were better than the regular cornbread!

On my to-do list is to find a recipe for cornbread stuffing and use the Atkins muffins. That, plus the sf cranberry jello, and I'm hoping to make it through the holidays and still loose weight!

AnnaS
08-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Hello everyone. I lost 20 lbs. 4-5 years ago on the Fit America diet. Have put on about 11 lbs back this past year. Don't know if I have the same will power as before. I am really not eating that much more, I guess metabolisim slows dows as we get a "little" older. Now I did not buy the Atkins book, can someone explain to me induction, first two weeks what is allowed and not allowed. I do dring a lot of coffee, do you recommend reddi whip, 1% milk, cream or what. I have read, nut, sugar free-jello, black olives, chef salads with creamy dressing. Are these all allowed first two weeks, a small tomato, romaine lettuce. I will look at some of the other sites mentioned on this thread. Any quick help and tips on how to start this is appreciated. I have not had any bread/pasta/cereals/fruits for the last three days. The only vegetable that I had was one tomato w/tiny amount of chopped red onion yesterday. Thanks again. Anna

AnnaS
08-10-2002, 11:35 AM
I forgot the most important thing, no cake, cookies or ice-cream last three days either. This is the hardest. Thanks.:)

TinkerPixie
08-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Hi Anna,

During Induction, stay far away from Reddi whip, it has sugar. You really should not have coffee, but if you must, have decaf, with a touch of heavy cream. For sweetening use Splenda, not Equal, as Equal can stall some people. Also, be sure to count each packet of Splenda as 1 carb. The label may say no carbs, but there are some. Try to stick with meats, fish and fowl mostly, along with a cup of salad greens at mealtimes. You can be fairly liberal with the salad dressing, but use common sense. Drink at least 64 ounces of water per day, and try not to drink to many diet sodas. If you must have sweet, DIET JELLO with Splenda sweetened whipped cream is the only thing allowed on Induction. After that you may be able to move on the other things.

Hang around here, and check out the Atkins web site, there's lots of great info for ya!

Good Luck!

AnnaS
08-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Thank you Susan. I do not take sugar with coffee so no Splenda. What is Splenda? So even during first two weeks I am allowed a tomato or some romaine salad, yes? I tried to go to the atkincenter webiste and could not get in to get more details. How many eggs per week can one eat though? Thanks again. Will be checking this thread.

TinkerPixie
08-11-2002, 01:20 AM
Atkins says salad vegetables, so I think you would be safe with the romaine. I'm not too sure about the tomato, tomato has a lot of natural sugar I think. I didn't eat them on my Induction, simply cause I'm not crazy about tomatoes.

I dont believe that there is a limit to the amount of any Induction food, except maybe cheese, cheese is limited to 3 or 4 ounces per day.

While on Induction, dont worry too much about the calories you consume, just the carbs. You can start counting calories after your two weeks are up, right now, your body needs the fats you will be consuming to burn as fuel instead of the carbs.

If you want to eat eggs every day, do it... I went thru a lot of them on my Induction! Just remember, you NEED the salad greens every day! :D :wave:

TinkerPixie
08-11-2002, 01:27 AM
Forgot to tell you about Splenda, It's a sugar substitute that is actually made from sugar. The body doesn't recognize it as a sugar, so you can use it to sweeten with. You can buy it at most grocery stores in packets similar to Equal. Look for a yellow box in the sweeteners aisle! :)

DixieDreamer
08-11-2002, 10:44 AM
My understanding is that even past induction you do not count calories - just carbs. Calories are naturally kept to an appropriate level if you are eating the foods according to the plan - and you achieve a metabolic advantage in that it takes MORE calories to digest and utilize protein and fat for energy than it does glucose... so you can eat more calories than you would on a high carb diet - and still lose weight.

That is one of the appeals of this diet for me... not counting calories - but focusing on carbs instead. The other benefit I have been enjoying - is not feeling ravenously hungry ten minutes after I have just eaten a big meal! What a difference that is! :)

TinkerPixie
08-11-2002, 10:35 PM
You're right DD, there isn't a real need to count calories at all after Induction. I count them, because I know how many basal calories I burn per day, and by counting, I can "theoretically" control how many pounds I can lose per week. I'm trying to stay below 1800 calories per day, to speed up the loss rate. We'll see if it works! LOL!;)

dizneegirl
08-12-2002, 11:56 AM
In regards to the question about calcium supplements the other day...

I found a generic version of Tums that listed the carb count... 2 grams per 2 tablets... which would mean 4 grams of carbs per day (as you're supposed to chew 2 tablets twice daily for calcium supplements).

Now, 4 grams in a day isn't terrible, but I also found Sugar Free Tums at WalMart for just under $5 for 96 tablets... No carbs there, and the same calcium supplement. Would be a good alternative - think I'll go that route once this bottle is gone.

Remember, you need Vitamin D to help your body absorb the calcium, so make sure if you're taking a multi-vitamin, it has D in it.

dizneegirl
08-12-2002, 12:04 PM
You probably all already know this, but I've just discovered it, and I'm in HEAVEN...

Sugar alcohols (such as malitol and isomalt) don't have much, if any, effect on raising your blood sugar levels, so they are NOT counted in the net carbs on the Atkins plan...

After some investigation this weekend, I found Russell Stover Sugar Free candies...

Peanut Butter cups have .25 carbs per piece

Pecan Turtles have 1 carb per piece

And, let me tell you, after having NO sugar for a few weeks, they taste WONDERFUL!

Now... I certainly wouldn't overindulge... but to go from "never" having chocolate, to a piece now and then - WONDERFUL NEWS!

Also found Sugar Free Lifesavers Butter Rum and Sugar Free Baskin Robbins mint-chocolate hard candies. Didn't buy them, but if I recall, net carbs are 0. Did get some Sugar Free Cinnamon disks... yummy! (And great for that "dragon breath"! LOL)

Just thought I'd share. ;)

PS - Don't ever switch scales after you've started a diet... I'm afraid our new one is probably more accurate... phooey! ;)

wovenwonder
08-13-2002, 06:35 PM
CHOCOLATE!!!! The Atkins Endulge bars are simply to die for --- you must try them if you haven't already!!!!

I left this thread for a couple days --- and OH MY! It was so nice to come back and see so much support here.

GOOD NEWS --- it's going slow but I am down 15 pounds -- I've been low carbing since 6/17/02!! YIPEE!!
247/232/139
5'2"

I LOVE this support -- you guys are TERRIFIC!

TinkerPixie
08-16-2002, 09:14 PM
How's it going, guys! Everybody still doing alright on the plan.....? :wave: :wave: :wave:

dizneegirl
08-17-2002, 10:36 AM
Still here!

UGHHHHHH! There's a Corn Fest here in town this weekend (I can see it from my window!) I had planned on getting ONE ear of corn as a treat - until I looked up the carb count. 17 IN ONE MEDIUM EAR!!! No corn for me! No fresh kettle corn, either. But that's OK... they have the BEST sausage & brat place that always comes! Yummy!!!!

DH went out of town for the weekend... used to be if he was gone for a couple of days, I'd go rent a movie, get a pint of Ben & Jerry's, and pick whatever food he never wanted to get, then pig out. This is the first time I wasn't even TEMPTED to do the ice cream, pig out thing. Simply AMAZING!

I did go look for the movie though! :) And I did pick up a few groceries to play around with some new recipes while he wasn't here to go "ick". ;)

And, as if the no temptation wasn't good enough, the scale went down another 1/2 a pound this morning! (Weighing every day is definitely my downfall!) So how are YOU doing?

DixieDreamer
08-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Hi Everyone! I am doing really well on this. I stalled out on the second week - because I found those low carb bars... watch out everyone they are a definite stall creater for some of us! I also found a great Newbie site that provided a list of "hidden" carbs that really helped me to identify alot of hidden carbs I was eating. Lastly, I started using Fitday.com to enter my daily menus and do a check on the calories, % of fat, protein and carbs, and to make sure my carb count really was what I thought it would be with my daily menu. I now include my daily mugs of coffee in that input - which adds five carbs to my daily menu. It's okay and I don't want to cut the coffee out - just needed to know that it was adding some carbs.

So, with all those tweaks to my eating ... I am BACK ON A LOSING STREAK! In fact, I have lost 3lbs this week. I am NOT hungry between meals, and I feel good. What more could you ask for?! Well, there is more! I put on a pair of slacks Friday for work - ones that have been fitting really snugly lately... and guess what... they were fitting much looser through the thighs and I could zip them up without having to "suck it in"! HURRAH!

Keep up the good work everyone! I want to encourage others to make use of the lowcarbfriends website, the fitday.com website, and the newbie website (here's the link Low Carb Newbie Site (http://www.geocities.com/cherilynn82000/Newbiepage.html) ) as they really have helped me to get this right.

Wishing you all success.

Debbie in Townsville
08-18-2002, 10:58 AM
Do any other women have trouble staying in Ketosis during TOM? I re-inducted after vacation and lost 6lbs. I was in Ketosis for sure: the sticks turned pink, no hunger, no appetite, terrible breath. Then I got bloated right before TOM, then once it started, I went out of Ketosis.

I've been keeping track of my carbs & calories on fitday, and nothing else changed. I lost the water weight, but I'm still not fully in Ketosis. I've had to eat more than usual because otherwise I'm hungry all the time. I feel like I'm re-inducting again!

Help!

TinkerPixie
08-18-2002, 11:41 PM
I lost 4 more pounds!!!!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

disfanatiks
08-19-2002, 10:40 PM
Way to go, Susan!!!

I started Induction today. I am hoping for the best!!!!

TinkerPixie
08-22-2002, 02:03 PM
Hope everything is going well on induction, for ya..disfanatiks!:bounce:

rbuzzotta
08-24-2002, 07:19 AM
Hi All!! It is great to read that you are all still losing!! I am jealous!

I was down about 10 lbs before we left on our 15 day WDW trip!! Now I am up those 10!!! I just couldn't resist ALL the lovely and different foods at WDW!! I am a weakling!

I start ATkins again on Monday and need to be down 15 lbs for a wedding in Ocotber (would love to be down 20 but if I make 15 I will be thrilled!!)

Please think of me and wish me luck............

WDW is an awful place to diet!! But a wonderful place to be with family and enjoy the magic. We had a very magical time! (It was worth it!!)

Pixie Power!
08-24-2002, 07:54 AM
Ok people, I NEED YOUR HELP. I started this thread a few months ago when i was dieting for my Wedding anniversary trip. Needless to say my dieting didnt last and now just 20 days to go, i really want to loose 7lbs before i go. Normally on induction i loose around 10 lbs so i know this can be done. I just need some help and support doing it.

I normally stick to bacon for breakfast, chopped ham and a tomato for lunch and a steak with very small salad for dinner. I dont eat green veg anyway so i dont miss that, nor do i eat much fruit. If it wasnt for my love of bread this diet would be excellent for me, oh also i like a cold beer :(

So please help me through the next 3 weeks, loosing this weight would make such a difference to my trip, it would make me feel so much better about myself. Also when i return i can focus on my discon diet.

Thanks everyone, i knew i could count on you. Menu ideas are more then welcome too;)

Emma

DixieDreamer
08-24-2002, 11:05 AM
Sending you some "losing weight pixie dust"! LOL! :p

TinkerPixie
08-24-2002, 12:21 PM
You can do it Pixie! We're all in this together....good luck!

DixieDreamer
08-29-2002, 09:19 PM
How is everyone doing?

I have been doing well. Lost another lb this week. I am trying a few new things this week - just to keep myself interested - low carb "cheesecake" for breakfast is one specifically. It has been a nice change from eggs. But... think I will have eggs on Saturday - just because it now sounds "different"!

AnnaS
08-30-2002, 07:30 AM
May I ask where did you get the low carb cheesecake? How was it too? I looove cheesecake.

Pixie Power!
08-30-2002, 11:14 AM
Did someone mention cheesecake????? Please tell us how to make it or where to get this from.

Im doing well so far, ok this is only day 5 but im focussed and sticking to the plan. I feel so much better just for sticking to it, and im not as tired as i normally am. My times of weakness are at the weekends, we normally go out for meals and have a few drinks, so this is going to be a trying time. But im am determind to do it :teeth:

Emma

DixieDreamer
08-31-2002, 09:33 AM
Okay here is the recipe. It is from the LowCarbFriends website and there is a lovely lady there named BEACHGIRL who is a master of creating various LOW CARB versions of cheesecake. There is many of her recipes posted in the recipe room if you like this and are interested in more.

Anyway ... here is the recipe:

Beachgirl's Basic Cheesecake

- 32 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup splenda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream

With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and splenda at slow to medium speed, scraping sides often. Add all other ingredients except eggs. When completely mixed (with no lumps), add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating very slowly. When eggs are incorporated, do not mix any more. Over-mixing the eggs is a contributing cause of cracked cheesecakes. (The leading cause of cracking is over-cooking, so doníŽt believe any one who tells you it is normal for a cheesecake to be cracked; it isníŽt.) Always treat the batter gently.

Pour the mixture into the springform pan. Place the pan on a very large piece of aluminum foil, and fold the foil up around the pan to create a watertight barrier around the cheesecake. Then place the barrier pan in an even larger pan and fill the larger pan halfway with water. This is called a water bath. It is a gentler way to cook the cheesecake.

Place the entire water bath containing the cheesecake in a 300-degree preheated oven. Cook for 1 hour and reduce heat to 200 degrees for 1 more hour. Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in until the oven is completely cool. The cheesecake can even be left overnight at this point. Cracks can also occur when a cheesecake cools too quickly.

It may be beneficial to run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake, separating it from the sides of the pan. If your goal is to serve the cheesecake on a different dish without the bottom of the spring form pan, then the pan can be lined with parchment paper before the batter is poured in. Make sure to grease both sides of the paper. This will make for easy removal of the cheesecake later. It works best if the cheesecake has been refrigerated fully before trying to remove it from the bottom pan.

Per Serving (based on 12 servings per cheesecake): 308 Calories; 29g Fat; 8g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 165mg Cholesterol; 244mg Sodium.

I have been eating this for breakfast all week (1/12 of the whole cheese cake) and it has been very satisfying. You need the boxed splenda and LOTS of cream cheese to make this - but MAN is it good!

AnnaS
08-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Thank you. As soon as I purchase the ingredients (mostly splenda), I will be trying it out.

AnnaS
08-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Thank you. As soon as I purchase the ingredients (mostly splenda), I will be trying it out.

dizneegirl
09-03-2002, 09:54 AM
I've saved all of Beachgirl's cheesecake recipes, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet... that's on my to-do list this week!

She's also said you can substitute a cup of DaVinci sugar-free syrup for the cup of Splenda if you want to save on carbs.

Just got back from a long weekend at WDW (hooray!). Don't know how it's affected my weight yet, but I was good! You can find salads all over the parks... And we had the BEST salmon at the Sci-Fi Dine In! We did Teppanyaki in Japan one day for lunch... not bad if you skip the rice. One hint... do NOT get the grilled chicken salad at Pecos Bill's in the Magic Kingdom... it has a sweet lime vinagrette, and carrot and apple slaw. NOT a good choice for low carb! ;)

Plus... since it WAS a (mini) vacation... we had to have a few treats... Did you know you can get sugar-free cheesecake (no crust) at the Fountainview Cafe in Epcot? It was DELICIOUS! We also had sugar-free ice cream at MGM, from Hollywood Scoops... it's sweetened with asparatame, and probably made from skim milk, but better than the real thing as far as carbs go, and GOOD! Gotta do little splurges here and there, rather than a BIG blowout at one of the restaurants! :)

arkiepaula
09-03-2002, 11:39 AM
Thanks Dizneegirl,
Now, if they could just do something with those Dole Whips! They are my absolute favorite thing at WDW!

dizneegirl
09-03-2002, 01:17 PM
You know, I was going to splurge and get one... they're my favorite too! But that was the day we got the apple slaw/sweet lime salad by accident, so I figured I'd better not.

And the second time I was going to splurge, we had already planned on getting the sugar-free ice cream, so I figured I'd better not again...

Next time though... I'm getting one come hell or high water! ;)

BTW - thought of a few of our other not-quite-cheating meals...

Mama Melrose's has a portabello appetizer that's very good... and DH got their pork marsala (with mushrooms, greens (that I think were spinach), and risotto or polenta that he just didn't eat) - it was yummy. I wouldn't recommend the chicken caesar salad though, unless you like strong caesar taste. Just ask them NOT to bring out the loaf of fresh bread (it looked soooo good!)

We also ate at the Biergarten in Germany. Plenty of meats, cheese, salad, sausages and sauerkraut to fill up on, if you like that sort of thing!

The house salad at Sci-Fi was scrumptious! Just don't eat all the spiced (and sugared) walnuts.

DH had a great filet at Rainforest Cafe, with grilled veggies on the side (and skipped the baked potato). I had their "cobb" salad that was delicious!

And, of course, a turkey leg (no bbq sauce!)

The Cobb salad at the Brown Derby probably would have been a good choice, but it was just a long weekend, and you can only eat so much! ;)

TinkerPixie
09-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the dining reviews dizneegirl! We are gonna be at Disney in about 8 weeks, and I really have been stressing about how to eat. We have eight days to fill up, so I am having to review menus, to see which places have appropriate food.

I really hate to pay 20 or more dollars for a meal, and end up having to leave most of it on the plate.:(

I'm also planning on bringing cream and boiled eggs from home, along with some sandwich type meats and cream cheese, then keep them in a cooler in the room for snacking.

Since we only do this once a year, I think I may just relax the carb count some. Then get right back on Atkins when we get home. :D

mareka
09-05-2002, 11:35 AM
Hi
I'm on Atkins and loving it. All other diets were the yoyo effect.

I would never believe that eating fat could make you thin.

Now I eat my words along with my bacon and steak and eggs.

I miss pizza and bagels. But I'll survive. I'm POOH sized and embarrassed to go on the rides - seat belts don't always fit - the bars are to tight on the stomach... then the airlines started saying they would charge for 2 seats - no way -

I've lost 30 pounds and counting. I'm not hungry between meals. Its easy to eat out.

Really looking froward to our DVC membership now. Many more things to do. - I'm still a little nervous about the rides though.
:confused:

wovenwonder
09-05-2002, 04:12 PM
Mareka - I'm glad you found us. Every little bit of extra support helps!

Pooh Sized! Gee -- I've never heard it explained that way! How appropriate for a Disney Message Board! I guess I would also be in the 'Pooh Sized' club. (LOL).

DixieDreamer
09-14-2002, 10:04 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

Have not checked in with you guys for a while - so I thought I would just drop in and say "Hello!".

I am down another 2 lbs this week. I slightly modified my eating this last week - upped the fat percentage and lowered my protein intake just a bit. Seems to be working.

All in all - I have lost 12 lbs so far in 7 weeks. Averages out to 1.7 lbs per week. Actually it comes off in small spurts. 2 lbs one week, 1 lb the next etc.. but it has been happening! I have been really losing inches as well. My clothes are fitting very loose - almost time to go down a size - but I like things to fit loose so I am going to wait for another 5 lbs before going down a size. The best part though... is I love my food choices and I am not wildly out of control "hungry" anymore. What a huge difference that is for me.

I hope you are all doing well. I enjoy reading your posts - and it is nice to have a place to come here on the DIS for some help and support. :)

mareka
09-14-2002, 10:41 AM
Down another 3 pounds - YEAH!

4 weeks till we sail - Would like to lose another 15 before we go but that is probably not realistic -

I'll take what ever as long as it's down.

DixieDreamer
09-27-2002, 08:28 AM
Well... I have lost .....

(drum roll please)

15 POUNDS so far!!! Holy Cow!!! :earseek:

Feeling good and going strong. :) I love Low Carb eating. :)

wovenwonder
09-27-2002, 08:40 AM
It is going very slow for me -- BUT - I am headed in the right direction! Since 6/17/02 I'm down a total of 19 pounds! I feel so much better -- but haven't noticed any of the loss yet -- where has it gone? LOL

9/26/02
247/228/139
5'2''

DixieDreamer
09-28-2002, 01:31 PM
Okay... don't laugh... but I have found my...
HIP BONES!!! HURRAH!!!
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I haven't been able to easily feel these in quite a while. :teeth:

rbuzzotta
09-30-2002, 12:50 PM
Congratulations DixieDreamer!!! Your well on your way.

Today, I began Atkins..........again...........

My goal...........to wear something black and slimming for my friends Annual Christmas Party!!!

TinkerPixie
10-01-2002, 03:41 PM
It will be three months on Atkins as of this Thursday. I have lost 27 pounds and about 5 inches all around.

It really is becoming a way of life, instead of a diet.

It is so wonderful to be wearing smaller clothes!!!!!!:D :D :D

mareka
10-01-2002, 03:48 PM
Oh It definately is a way of life. I don't lose easy. The number of diet programs I have been on can attest to that. But since April I have lost 35 pounds.

As soon as I try to add back in a few Carbs I don't lose. I didn't gain but it didn't go down either.

At least it is an eating plan I can Live on. And I don't plan to blow it on the cruise either. It's taken too long to get this far to be stupid now.

I want to lose another 100 so it will take a while.

Encouragement to all. - We'll be happier in the end.

TinkerPixie
10-01-2002, 04:10 PM
I also have to keep the carbs around 20 - 25 or I stall out, I can tell already.

Not a lot of Russell Stover candies for me!!!!:D :D :D

mareka
10-01-2002, 06:35 PM
I try to stick to eggs, meat, cheese and salad. A few veggies in between. It's nor too hard so far.

We'll see what happens on the cruise. Its the little things like milk instead of cream that throw those extra carbs in there. They sneek up on you. Onions and condiments. Every thing adds a few carbs and 20 is actually a low number.

TinkerPixie
10-01-2002, 10:49 PM
I have found that the biggest problem I have with carb creep is the little sweetener packets. Even with Splenda, you have to count each packet as one carb.

Sometimes I forget to count......:o

DixieDreamer
10-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Wow you guys are doing GREAT! :earseek:

It certainly is a commitment to a way of eating ... not a diet. I really like what it is doing for me - and I know I can live this way comfortably. What more could you ask for?! :)

rbuzzotta
10-26-2002, 10:51 AM
I just can't seem to get back into the diet thing..........my life is hectic now and I am putting on the lbs.

We are building a new house, just sold this one, trying to pack and trying to keep 3 DD's lives as normal as possible through this all. We move Nov. 21!!! Hopefully my house will be finished and I wonn't be homeless!!

I need to get motivated.........

It's great hearing you all succeed!! Good luck and keep up the good work.

mareka
10-26-2002, 01:00 PM
Just got back from 4 day cruise and 4 days at Disney World. After 2 days on cruise I said 'I'm on vacation' set the 'diet' aside and ste the wonderful food available.
I did gain about 5 pounds but went right back on track when I got home and they're gone. Now we just pick up where we left off.
So I'm 35 pounds lighter with MORE to go. That would never have worked on any other diet.
Love Atkins.

DixieDreamer
10-27-2002, 09:33 AM
mareka! You did awesome! I agree 100% that this is a way of eating that is a fit with "real life". So happy you had a great time... and then got right back on track when you returned. Guess you had your cake... and ate it too! LOL!

I am down 20.5 lbs as of this morning. I have been holding steady for two weeks (up and down the same pound)... but now seem to be starting on a downward trend again. Think my body just needed to catch up with me a bit. I feel great, love what I am eating... and I am not craving food all the time. Makes being patient through slow loss periods... pretty easy.

mareka
10-27-2002, 02:32 PM
I know what you mean - Its the 'not craving' that makes this so easy to succeed on.

We just came back from McDonalds - On the $1.00 menu they have a hamburger with lettuce tomato onion pickle etc. Well If you you order it without the bun they put it in a box and give you a fork and knife. And You can get a small diet soda for $1.00.
WOW thats on diet and cheap too.

BAcon and eggs for breakfast - Steak and salad for dinner.

How can people not like this diet. All that and losing weight. Wow and when I exercise I lose more.

I still need to lose about 100 pounds but I'm confident for the first time in my life that I can do this.

Next trip to Disney is April - I'll be able to do a lot more walking by then. Won't be embarrassed to ride the rides. Some of them are kinda narrow with the seat belts.

wovenwonder
10-29-2002, 10:02 AM
I'm still here! The losing is slow --- but I continue in the right direction. I forget to check in here -- because I forget that I am on a 'diet'. Well -- that's the point! I am not on a diet anymore!!! This is just my new way of eating --- and it is fabulous! I feel better than I have in years.

Keep up the good work everyone!

I read Glo's post on the CB -- what an inspiration she is!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=284189
:jester:

DixieDreamer
10-29-2002, 03:36 PM
:bounce: :Pinkbounc I second the excitement over glo's post! :bounce: :Pinkbounc

She really looks wonderful!

TinkerPixie
11-01-2002, 12:44 PM
Hi everyone....

it's been a while since I posted here, like wovenwonder says, it is easy to forget your on a diet with Atkins! It is becoming natural, I actually was holding 20 pounds of candy last night for the kiddies at work, and I never touched a bite of it!

I'm not real sure about the actual pounds lost now, cause I stopped getting on the scale every day. I have just bought my first pair of size 20 pants, and when I started I was wearing a very, very, tight 24.....

Keep up the good work!.......:D :D :D

CruellaDuVille
11-10-2002, 11:02 AM
Time for me to de-lurk.

You guys have been such an inspiration to me. I'm on day three of my induction. I'm still floundering, staying on track, but trying to figure out how to keep my household happy while I'm changing my eating habits. Today's Sunday, "pizza night". They're going to expect it.

Anyway, I'm on day 3. The little strip is pink. NONE of my clothes fit. I'm in a corner. I have to do this.

Please keep posting.

Cruella