PDA

View Full Version : PPC 2.0 Castaway Cay 5k - GKTW Fundraiser Idea

Renysmom
05-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Not sure how many of you are aware that there is a Castaway Cay 5k event held on CC port days. The event is held first thing upon docking at CC

What I know so far of the event is that the 5k is listed as a family event on the navigators (I am looking into age requirements now). I know that only those who are registered are allowed on the Island during the run and that it starts about 8:00 am and that a castmember oversees the entire thing. I also know you have to pre-register so that the ship can notify CC cast members that it is happening and how many will take part so they can prepare the Island. Anyone who starts and finishes the run gets a certificate of completion signed by the Captain and Mickey.

As I said, I dont know the age restrictions for children yet nor do I know about the walk-run aspect but I will find that out when my group does it in October. My Dis Meet-up group for our Nov 7 day is planning on running and I will have a hands on description then. I will also find out if there is a maximum number allowed to run. There have been very positive posts about this on the cruise forum and on the passporter site

Here is my idea - Since there is no Muddy Buddy or Marathon the weekend before or after PCC 2.0 how about we make the 5k a fundraiser for GKTW and see how much money we can raise on the cruise. If we can get 50 cruisers to run and each one raises say $150 that is $7500 for GKTW. A 5k is only 3.2 miles and if you don't run you have 18 months to train for it.. We can maybe get Tshirts made up so that those running for GKTW would stand out from all the other runners.

Let me know if there is interested in this idea and if so I would be happy to organize the event.

TSWJan78
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
I am in... 3.2 miles is nothing compared to our typical park walking. I would perfer to talk vs run though

ADP
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM
I know we had a couple cruisers do this last week during the cruise; Dave (Mouse Skywalker), Don (DPuck), and Karen (Klam Chowder). They can probably give you the best perspective on the race in general.

I'll probably be up for doing this since there is no Muddy Buddy in Dec 2010.

experiment_627
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
If I can work my behind up to it, I would LOVE to do this. One of my goals since our first cruise has been to do the 5k on CC.

jeanigor
05-21-2009, 09:44 AM
I know we had a couple cruisers do this last week during the cruise; Dave (Mouse Skywalker), Don (DPuck), and Karen (Klam Chowder). They can probably give you the best perspective on the race in general.

I'll probably be up for doing this since there is no Muddy Buddy in Dec 2010.

Frank (FireDancer) also ran it. He like Dave is a runner.

I'd be in. Unfortunately there probably won't be a mud pit, eh?

Mouse Skywalker
05-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Yup, I ran this with Don, Frank, Karen, and some others. Some other Muddy Buddies said they would be there, but didn't show up... :confused3 I recorded some audio, took a lot of pictures, and am working on a report on it. It was a fun run.

dpuck1998
05-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Not sure how many of you are aware that there is a Castaway Cay 5k event held on CC port days. The event is held first thing upon docking at CC

What I know so far of the event is that the 5k is listed as a family event on the navigators (I am looking into age requirements now). I know that only those who are registered are allowed on the Island during the run and that it starts about 8:00 am and that a castmember oversees the entire thing. I also know you have to pre-register so that the ship can notify CC cast members that it is happening and how many will take part so they can prepare the Island. Anyone who starts and finishes the run gets a certificate of completion signed by the Captain and Mickey.

As I said, I dont know the age restrictions for children yet nor do I know about the walk-run aspect but I will find that out when my group does it in October. My Dis Meet-up group for our Nov 7 day is planning on running and I will have a hands on description then. I will also find out if there is a maximum number allowed to run. There have been very positive posts about this on the cruise forum and on the passporter site

Here is my idea - Since there is no Muddy Buddy or Marathon the weekend before or after PCC 2.0 how about we make the 5k a fundraiser for GKTW and see how much money we can raise on the cruise. If we can get 50 cruisers to run and each one raises say $150 that is $7500 for GKTW. A 5k is only 3.2 miles and if you don't run you have 18 months to train for it.. We can maybe get Tshirts made up so that those running for GKTW would stand out from all the other runners.

Let me know if there is interested in this idea and if so I would be happy to organize the event.

This was a very informal event. We didn't get off the ship early, nor did we have to pre-register. It started about 8:30 and the guide showed us the way and then took off. It was nice to get out and run, but very informal.

DVCsince02
05-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I think it's a great idea, just have one concern. What if the weather is bad that day and you don't dock at CC? What is the back up plan?

ragtopday
05-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I really like this idea - count me in!

mainegal
05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
What if the weather is bad that day and you don't dock at CC? What is the back up plan?

Run around the deck - how many times to make 3.2 miles?

jeanigor
05-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Run around the deck - how many times to make 3.2 miles?

I believe its 3 times around Deck 4 is one mile....so 10 laps should be about right.:goodvibes

Renysmom
05-21-2009, 03:33 PM
I think it's a great idea, just have one concern. What if the weather is bad that day and you don't dock at CC? What is the back up plan?

EEK don't even say that... CC with Christmas decorations can't be missed!!!

I would say we run the deck, yes 3 laps is a mile so 10 laps it would be

jeanigor
05-21-2009, 03:35 PM
So who is going to start the thread on the Cruise Board? Should we wait and have Tracy do it?

Renysmom
05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
So who is going to start the thread on the Cruise Board? Should we wait and have Tracy do it?

This is the cruise board LOL so I think it has started LOL

cocowum
05-21-2009, 06:05 PM

Tracy will probably start one when she gets back. That way she'll be able to edit the first post, :goodvibes

YellowMickeyPonchos
05-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Since Renysmom started this one, she can edit that first post. I'm doing that with the DL Event and then on the DL Board with the June Park Tour.

Therefore, I think this would qualify as the official thread! :thumbsup2

MonkeyPants
05-22-2009, 08:35 PM
This was a very informal event. We didn't get off the ship early, nor did we have to pre-register. It started about 8:30 and the guide showed us the way and then took off. It was nice to get out and run, but very informal.

what is the terrain like that you run on. Is it sand (hard packed/soft) or dirt?

dpuck1998
05-22-2009, 10:52 PM
what is the terrain like that you run on. Is it sand (hard packed/soft) or dirt?

I was almost all paved sidewalks and a runway, some dirt paths but all hard surfaces.

klam_chowder
05-23-2009, 06:04 AM
Renysmom - what a wonderful idea!

When we're closer to the cruise (or even when we're on the cruise! :cool1:) we could let DCL know we have a large group participating. There wasn't a certificate but there was water in cups for the runners after the race, located on a table behind the Evian water sale table.

Pre-registration isn't required - just meet at the bottom of the gangway. The footwear made it pretty obvious who was participating :rotfl:

Previously, the same CM led the runs but since he's left the ship, it has been a rotating CMs that do it. We had a Magical Moment ("Security Asst" gig ) and got to get off the ship first so I had extra time to chat to the run-leader; she's actually the Capt's Asst! Even if for some reason they don't have a run-leader, the group can run it on their own as it's on tram and bike paths.

For the same reason, there can't really be an age restriction other than a common sense restriction: is the person able to finish the 5K? Walkers could do it too, of course. The only thing I think the group would have to be mindful of is to not walk 8 abreast - just like in the parks :snooty: - because the trams and other vehicles use those paths as well. The first half mile (??) is on pedestrian paths so the group would be pretty strung out and prolly only able to run 2 abreast.

The "course" is very easy: flat and on paved/hard surfaces - ship to Serenity Bay, turn around and do one of the bike paths on the way back before heading back to the ship.

After the turnaround, I ran the first bike path on the left. A rock at the loop entrance said was 5000'; a observation tower at the mid-point had good views of the island. Interested to hear what the second bike path, further down on the right, was like. :upsidedow

I'll definitely be in for this GKTW fundraiser and I'll wrangle DH to join us as well :lmao: Let me know if you need any help organizing this - I'd be happy to help :goodvibes

cheers,
:flower3:

Renysmom
05-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Klam -

I would love your help with this.... I've got a thousand things going on this morning so I will send you a PM later today or tonite.

Mouse Skywalker
05-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Klam -

I would love your help with this.... I've got a thousand things going on this morning so I will send you a PM later today or tonite.I'd be more than willing to help out too Kelly in any way that I can.

Renysmom
05-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Dave - I will pm both of you :)

jeanigor
04-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Just bumping this up.

Might be a novel idea to raise money for GKTW without swimming in a pit of mud.:goodvibes

Cherinva
04-09-2010, 07:54 AM
This is a wonderful thing...I probablly won't participate, but I will help support the cause.

Plutes
04-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Once we find out for sure that 'walkers' are okay, Jimmy & I would definitely be in. I'd love to say we'll be able to run it, but I doubt that's going to happen! :rotfl: A walking/jogging pace would work, though...

mdvlprof
04-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Cannot (not will not) walk/run 5k. :mad: Will cheer participants on, tho. :thumbsup2 Great idea.

This is a wonderful thing...I probablly won't participate, but I will help support the cause.

tlcoke
04-13-2010, 12:01 PM
I'll Walk it!!

mainegal
04-13-2010, 12:33 PM
I am planning on walking it, too.
Good way to get off the ship early! :goodvibes

jeanigor
04-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't want to have the idea and therefore be responsible to run with it, but lets say...for the sake of tossing around ideas...there was a logo/design for this particular event. What would you like to see on it or incorporated with it?

DP likes to fiddle with PhotoShop and make stuff. He needs a project while I am gone in May and whenever else I choose. Nothing promised, just some ideas to toss around.

FireDancer
04-13-2010, 12:52 PM

This is what I was going to say. Walking the course would be just fine. I did my run and then went back out to meet up with some DISers to jog back in with them.

Originally I didn't get a certificate but I sent an email to DCL and they mailed me one. It is sitting with the rest of my running certificates all framed but waiting to get hung.

wdwscout
04-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I'd be interested in walking it for sure.
Walking and talking- that's my kind of event! ;)

A logo would be great! On a tshirt perhaps?
Certainly on a magnet for our cabin doors. :thumbsup2

mdvlprof
04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Dec... Gives me a goal. Maybe I can walk 5k by then.:smickey:

jeanigor
04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Dec... Gives me a goal. Maybe I can walk 5k by then.:smickey:

My understanding is there is no time constraint, so its a go at your own pace finish at your leisure kind of thing. I know I plan on taking a bunch of photos!

froggy5657
04-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Hmm sounds interesting, I am 98% in

DVCsince02
04-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I'd be happy to donate, but will not be walking or running.

maiziezoe
04-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I would like to run this! By the time the cruise rolls around, I should have four 5k's under my belt.

Renysmom
04-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Glad to see there is still interest in this.

I will look into this over the weekend and reach out to those who have offered to help.

dpuck1998
04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
My understanding is there is no time constraint, so its a go at your own pace finish at your leisure kind of thing. I know I plan on taking a bunch of photos!

What he said. I did this last trip and we stopped to take photos along the route. It was a blast, unless Dave ditched me and took off at top speed leaving me in the dust. Oh.....and it was HOT!

FireDancer
04-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Oh.....and it was HOT!

That it was. It didn't feel to bad except for the stretch on the runway. You are on blacktop with no cover, have the Caribbean sun overhead and the head radiating off of the runway below.

I imagine it will be a bit less intense in December though.

dpuck1998
04-14-2010, 09:34 AM
That it was. It didn't feel to bad except for the stretch on the runway. You are on blacktop with no cover, have the Caribbean sun overhead and the head radiating off of the runway below.

I imagine it will be a bit less intense in December though.

True, December should be better. That was a long stretch, I think I was going just a tad faster than walking at that point.

Launchpad11B
04-14-2010, 05:21 PM
-

Renysmom
04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm in! :thumbsup:

Wouldn't have it any other way :)

757hokie
04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
I've been looking for a little extra motivation to start the Couch-to-5K program...I think this is it!!!

Count me in on the run and the GKTW fundraising! Oh, and my wife Cathy too!

- John

mousehouselover
04-18-2010, 07:32 PM
I've been trying to motivate myself to get running. You'd think living in WDW's backyard I'd be all over it so I could run in the parks..... I want to do something so I may as well do this one.

jeanigor
04-19-2010, 09:50 AM
I've been trying to motivate myself to get running. You'd think living in WDW's backyard I'd be all over it so I could run in the parks..... I want to do something so I may as well do this one.

It doesn't need to be running. It can be walking. Speed walking. Jogging. You can do it!:thumbsup2

mousehouselover
04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks Todd! If you have siggies turned on, you should be able to see that walking 3.2 miles will be a piece of cake for me; it's the running that I always give up on. I'm trying all kinds of things to find the motivation I need to stick with it. I know once I find the one thing that works, I will love the freedom of running.

jeanigor
04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Just a note from the WISH boards...

According to a DIS who did the Castaway 5K in January, there is no longer a certificate given out. Instead they give you a water bottle.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448085

mainegal
04-21-2010, 09:46 AM
I'd rather have a useful water bottle that a piece of paper, any way.

Are you it is okay for me to just walk and take photos? No time limit?

bigmoonmullen
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi Renysmom & Todd,

Is the goal still to raise money for GKTW? I hope so.

I'm in and I'm pretty sure my wife is in too.

Mark

jeanigor
04-21-2010, 10:00 AM
I'd rather have a useful water bottle that a piece of paper, any way.

Are you it is okay for me to just walk and take photos? No time limit?

Yes. Everyone that I have corresponded with regarding this event has stated that it is a self paced event. Run, jog, walk, roll, crawl, moonwalk...whatever you fancy!

Cameras are encouraged by everyone as well. I believe I remember seeing some pretty sweet shots from the one on PCC 1.0.

Hi Renysmom & Todd,

Mark

Yes. That is still the goal. I have a special place in my heart for GKTW and what they can provide.

bigmoonmullen
04-21-2010, 10:09 AM
yes. Everyone that i have corresponded with regarding this event has stated that it is a self paced event. Run, jog, walk, roll, crawl, moonwalk...whatever you fancy!

Cameras are encouraged by everyone as well. I believe i remember seeing some pretty sweet shots from the one on pcc 1.0.

Yes. That is still the goal. I have a special place in my heart for gktw and what they can provide.

great

mdvlprof
04-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Great.:thumbsup2 If I can't make it with cane (up to 3 blocks:banana:) will use rollator.

Yes. Everyone that I have corresponded with regarding this event has stated that it is a self paced event. Run, jog, walk, roll, crawl, moonwalk...whatever you fancy!

Cameras are encouraged by everyone as well. I believe I remember seeing some pretty sweet shots from the one on PCC 1.0.

bigmoonmullen
04-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Great.:thumbsup2 If I can't make it with cane (up to 3 blocks:banana:) will use rollator.

I'm sure you will do just fine... However, if you need any help just let us know. I'm sure there will be a bunch of us willing to help.

Mark

bigmoonmullen
04-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Yes. That is still the goal. I have a special place in my heart for GKTW and what they can provide.

Todd... Have a Great Muddy Buddy for GKTW and I'm glad that we will have the opportunity to do our little bit this December.

Mark

ADP
04-22-2010, 08:44 AM
I can say this....If I have to drag myself off a cruise ship at 6:00AM in the morning to run a 5K I'm definately going at my own pace. I'll probably be doing some combination of what you listed above; walk, jog, crawl, roll, and then moonwalk across the finish line.

jeanigor
04-22-2010, 08:48 AM
I can say this....If I have to drag myself off a cruise ship at 6:00AM in the morning to run a 5K I'm definately going at my own pace. I'll probably be doing some combination of what you listed above; walk, jog, crawl, roll, and then moonwalk across the finish line.

I'm not sure that it is at 6am, but :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Plutes
04-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Good LORD - if it IS at 6 am, I think it'll be just me participating. If I volunteer Jimmy for that one, I think he'd be taking out on a contract on me! :rotfl:

Mouse Skywalker
04-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Just a reminder, a number of us did this run on the last podcast cruise, and I wrote up some details about the experience. You can find it on the blog here.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/07/09/island-tour-on-your-feet-dcl-castaway-cay-5k/

ADP
04-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Just a reminder, a number of us did this run on the last podcast cruise, and I wrote up some details about the experience. You can find it on the blog here.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/07/09/island-tour-on-your-feet-dcl-castaway-cay-5k/
Thanks Dave...8:30AM doesn't seem too bad at all. I couldn't remember the time so I just assumed it would be an early "up and at it".

jeanigor
04-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks Dave...8:30AM doesn't seem too bad at all. I couldn't remember the time so I just assumed it would be an early "up and at it".

We don't have to be on Paul's up before the rooster crows schedule.

mdvlprof
04-22-2010, 10:12 AM
;)Nope. Early riser, too.

Good LORD - if it IS at 6 am, I think it'll be just me participating. If I volunteer Jimmy for that one, I think he'd be taking out on a contract on me! :rotfl:

corky441
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Count me in too, I can't speak for DH Dino yet, but I'm sure he'll join us as well :thumbsup2 especially since it's not extremely early or an intense "run".

Just got to this thread - so if it's already on here and I've missed it, sorry - has the fundraising aspect been discussed and/or finalized???

jeanigor
04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Count me in too, I can't speak for DH Dino yet, but I'm sure he'll join us as well :thumbsup2 especially since it's not extremely early or an intense "run".

Just got to this thread - so if it's already on here and I've missed it, sorry - has the fundraising aspect been discussed and/or finalized???

You've been busy....Miss Asterisk, its okay.

Nothing has been finalized as of yet. There are some ideas, but we want to wait until Pete gets back from the Mediterranean and John and Kevin are settled after their trip too.

I think I can get DP to put together a rough draft of a logo this weekend.
P.S. ~ I am open, nay, INVITE criticism.

ADP
04-22-2010, 11:39 AM
We don't have to be on Paul's up before the rooster crows schedule.
Thank goodness....Although, we have a scheduled workout planned on the Wonder at 0600! :surfweb: :laughing:

jeanigor
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Thank goodness....Although, we have a scheduled workout planned on the Wonder at 0600! :surfweb: :laughing:

That's your foolishness. I'm not gonna ask normal sane Disney fanatics to get up pre-dawn to trek around the island. I want to keep some friends.:goodvibes:goodvibes

DVCsince02
04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
What time did we dock at CC?

ADP
04-22-2010, 12:12 PM
That's your foolishness. I'm not gonna ask normal sane Disney fanatics to get up pre-dawn to trek around the island. I want to keep some friends.:goodvibes:goodvibes
Did you just call Paul Foolish. Uh Oh! ;)

Probably not 0600, but we are going to get in a workout at some point. Provided I don't eat so much. The last thing I want to do is pig out and become the ships boat anchor. :upsidedow

What time did we dock at CC?
Don't quote me on this, but I thought it was somewhere around 7:30AM.

jeanigor
04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Did you just call Paul Foolish. Uh Oh! ;)

Nope. I called you foolish. Paul is a well oiled, fine tuned machine. 0600 is sleeping in for him. After all he is on vacation.

ADP
04-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Nope. I called you foolish. Paul is a well oiled, fine tuned machine. 0600 is sleeping in for him. After all he is on vacation.
:rotfl:
BEEP...BEEP...BEEP. Ahhhh...The sound of a truck in reverse.

No matter how we see it....A blast is going to be had by all! :wizard:

Renysmom
04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi Renysmom & Todd,

Mark

Glad you are going to join us in this!!!! :cool1: :cool1:

We are currently throwing around ideas and will have more information in the near future.

Launchpad11B
04-22-2010, 06:48 PM
-

tiggerbell
04-22-2010, 08:28 PM
I cannot run (and I have a litany about my foot surgeries to prove it) but, thanks to Jason & Shanan of Osinski Tours, I know I can walk a 5K (they made us do 5 MILES last weekend!)

So, I'm IN! :thumbsup2

ADP
04-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I cannot run (and I have a litany about my foot surgeries to prove it) but, thanks to Jason & Shanan of Osinski Tours, I know I can walk a 5K (they made us do 5 MILES last weekend!)

That's awesome Jamie.....The more the merrier. It should be a lot of fun :)

jen3003
04-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Count me in as well!

I don't think I will be able to run it, but I can definitely walk it!

Cherinva
04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Ok..ok...so I'm considering this...well walking that is. Can anyone tell me how long it would take to walk? Just curious.

tiggerbell
04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Ok..ok...so I'm considering this...well walking that is. Can anyone tell me how long it would take to walk? Just curious.

That depends on how fast you walk. A slow walk for me takes 20 minutes to do a mile - so 1 hour.

Cherinva
04-23-2010, 12:36 PM
That depends on how fast you walk. A slow walk for me takes 20 minutes to do a mile - so 1 hour.

That's not bad...I'll talk to my girls and see if they would like to walk with me...now, do we get people to sponsor us on our own?

jeanigor
04-23-2010, 02:14 PM
That's not bad...I'll talk to my girls and see if they would like to walk with me...now, do we get people to sponsor us on our own?

We are in the process of working out the details on that, but most likely yes.

Cherinva
04-23-2010, 04:01 PM
We are in the process of working out the details on that, but most likely yes.

Cool, thanks Todd.

Cherinva
04-24-2010, 02:38 PM
My girls seem to like the idea, so I guess we are in

tlcoke
04-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Count me in as well!

I don't think I will be able to run it, but I can definitely walk it!

We will walk it together.

mainegal
04-26-2010, 03:33 PM

I am with the walkers, unless my camera tells me to stop.

mdvlprof
04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
between surgeries, pt, canes, etc.. We are a fine bunch. Even if we are slow. ;)

mainegal
04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
We are a fine bunch. Even if we are slow. ;)

And we all get a water bottle!

Cherinva
04-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Sounds like we will have more walkers than runners....more time to spend looking over the Island and chatting with each other...I'm all for that.

DVCsince02
04-27-2010, 09:55 AM
I promise to wave to ya'll from the beach. ;) We'll be making sand castles with the kids.

mainegal
04-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I promise to wave to ya'll from the beach. ;) We'll be making sand castles with the kids.

I will stop to take a photo.

Can't wait to see the sand castles!

Cherinva
04-27-2010, 02:37 PM

:wave2:

mdvlprof
05-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Think I have DD-19 talked into walking.:cool1:

Cherinva
05-06-2010, 10:53 AM
This should be a lot of fun !!!

natale1980
06-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Count me in!
Sounds like fun!! I really wanted to do it in January, but I wasn't feeling too good that day.

-nat

HillPete
06-03-2010, 09:38 AM
OK, I'm in. After doing 60 miles in three days for Komen, I can certainly handle a 5k, right? I will have my 10 year old DS with me as well. He gets service/PE credits for school for this kind of stuff.

--Hillary (and Adam)

jeanigor
06-03-2010, 09:41 AM
OK, I'm in. After doing 60 miles in three days for Komen, I can certainly handle a 5k, right? I will have my 10 year old DS with me as well. He gets service/PE credits for school for this kind of stuff.

--Hillary (and Adam)

Congrats on the 3 day!! And woo hoo for DS getting involved too!!!!

natale1980
06-03-2010, 08:50 PM

--Hillary (and Adam)

Where are you doing the 3day? I'm doing it in Chicago this year! :thumbsup2

-nat

HillPete
06-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Where are you doing the 3day? I'm doing it in Chicago this year! :thumbsup2

-nat

I actually meant that in the past tense! I did the walk in 2007 (the first time they ahd the 3 day here in Cleveland) and 2008. Since then, my plantar faciitis (sp?) and heel spurs have been too bad to walk that far anymore. I can certainly handle a 5k (esp. with my son, who's slower than me, and walkers (who I can join in case of emergency)).

I might crew this year's walk, though. I haven't checked dates yet. They moved it to the west side of Cleveland, so it's a bit more difficult for me, but if the dates work with camp/school/whatever I'll do it!

Good luck with your walk! Is this your first 3 day?

--H

froggy5657
06-06-2010, 10:35 PM
So are we allowed to walk this?

jeanigor
06-07-2010, 08:12 AM
So are we allowed to walk this?

Walk, roll, jog, mookwalk, crawl, cartwheel, skip, hop, or however else you may wish to transport yourself.

ADP
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Still looking forward to running this. Anybody else interested?

jeanigor
06-24-2010, 03:17 PM

If you aren't now, you will be. (But you have to wait to see why.....)

mainegal
06-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Completing 5K, yes.
Running, no.

Launchpad11B
06-24-2010, 03:53 PM
-

DVCsince02
06-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Walk, roll, jog, mookwalk, crawl, cartwheel, skip, hop, or however else you may wish to transport yourself.

Bike?

corky441
06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
If you aren't now, you will be. (But you have to wait to see why.....)

Todd....... are you taunting??? :eek:

dpuck1998
06-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Indeed. I'm shooting for 22 minutes to finish then going back and encouraging others (Aaron) to finish! :thumbsup2

You could run it twice in the time it would take me.....can you carry me back on the second trip? (wait, I'm not going :( )

Launchpad11B
06-24-2010, 06:08 PM
-

wdwscout
06-24-2010, 07:33 PM
As long as walking is allowed- I definitely want to do this- maybe even DH... sign us up!:thumbsup2

dpuck1998
06-24-2010, 07:43 PM
I still can't believe you're not going with us. How did that happen?

Family, they don't like you ;) j/k, just one of those things, its too close to christmas break and no way I can take that week off.

mainegal
06-24-2010, 09:10 PM
How many people usually do the 5K?

Will the have enough "prize water bottles" for all of us?

Do they know how many of us plan on doing the 5K?

Does the cruise ship staff have a clue about us at all?

ADP
06-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Indeed. I'm shooting for 22 minutes to finish then going back and encouraging others (Aaron) to finish! :thumbsup2
I'll be waiting for you at the finish line. Yea..Right! :laughing:

I still can't believe you're not going with us. How did that happen?
Stowaway! :tiptoe:

jeanigor
06-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Bike?

You're bringing your bike on the cruise? I don't think the rental shop will be open that early on Castaway. You might be able to bike it later.

Todd....... are you taunting??? :eek:

:rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

How many people usually do the 5K?
:confused3
Will the have enough "prize water bottles" for all of us?
Hope so.
Do they know how many of us plan on doing the 5K?
I'm sure we could ask Tracy to pass along the info closer to sailing. Doesn't mean that DCL will listen.
Does the cruise ship staff have a clue about us at all?
::yes::

mainegal
06-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Good morning, folks.
The sun it out and alll seems good with the world this morning.
And I slept right through my morning walk time!

Make sure I do not do that on Castaway Cay, please!

tlcoke
06-25-2010, 07:48 AM
its too close to christmas break and no way I can take that week off.

Don, that's no excuse ;) - I work at at State University & December is one of our busy months (for some reason college professors & staff forget when Christmas is every year and do panic printing :confused3) - I am making them fend without me (it's good for them - they appreciate you more) for the entire month (3 weeks) prior to our holiday break. - granted I will surely get a few phone calls and/or emails (actually text messages that lead to a phone call or email) during the time I am gone.

dpuck1998
06-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Don, that's no excuse ;) - I work at at State University & December is one of our busy months (for some reason college professors & staff forget when Christmas is every year and do panic printing :confused3) - I am making them fend without me (it's good for them - they appreciate you more) for the entire month (3 weeks) prior to our holiday break. - granted I will surely get a few phone calls and/or emails (actually text messages that lead to a phone call or email) during the time I am gone.

The problem is, I turn around and take a 2 week vacation over xmas break. I'll be at DATW!!

Renysmom
06-25-2010, 10:19 AM
We haven't gone further with this plan as a fundraiser for GKTW yet as we are waiting to hear what Pete has planned as he has mentioned that they plan on doing something big for GKTW. Once we hear their plans then we will determine if/what we do but with that said, the 5k is open to anyone on the ship, there is no pre-registration, you show up and you run/walk. Fundraiser or not, it's gonna be great to see so many DIS'r out there.

We will update this thread when we know more on the GKTW aspect.

mainegal
06-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I'll be at DATW!!

You are coming all the way to WDW just to see us all at DATW?!
You are so kind.

mdvlprof
06-25-2010, 11:01 AM

some of us know who REALLY runs the show.:goodvibes

tlcoke
06-25-2010, 11:10 AM
The problem is, I turn around and take a 2 week vacation over xmas break. I'll be at DATW!!

As long as you make an appearance, your forgiven for missing the cruise.

bigmoonmullen
06-27-2010, 08:43 AM
We haven't gone further with this plan as a fundraiser for GKTW yet as we are waiting to hear what Pete has planned as he has mentioned that they plan on doing something big for GKTW. Once we hear their plans then we will determine if/what we do but with that said, the 5k is open to anyone on the ship, there is no pre-registration, you show up and you run/walk. Fundraiser or not, it's gonna be great to see so many DIS'r out there.

We will update this thread when we know more on the GKTW aspect.

Thank you for the update... will monitor thread to see how thw GKTW portion plays out.

ab*cdn*mouse
07-09-2010, 07:09 PM
The GKTW fundraiser sounds awesome. I look forward to hearing what Pete and the crews idea for a fundraiser is. I would be up for it and will try to drag my DD out for it. Dave Parfitt's Podcast interview was awesome.

Thanks for the great idea.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

mdvlprof
09-05-2010, 03:53 PM
We still doing this? I think I can walk the 5k, now. Might bring Wheels along and make it a Mom and kids [can I call college age kids?] thing.

Renysmom
09-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Todd has been working a few ideas, as soon as he has finalized them I am sure he will be here to share.

bigmoonmullen
09-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi Kelly,

Are we going to be doing anything at Castaway Cay for GKTW? I'm still game for a 5K Walk/Run.

Mark

Renysmom
09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
So here is where we are with the 5K.

I have spoken to several folks and all agree that arranging the 5k as a fundraiser on castaway has proven to be more difficult than we thought as there are so many variables to take into consideration that we just didn't expect so what we have decided to do is suggest that those who wish to make a donation to GKTW, or run the 5k on their own as a fundraiser do so, and those who wish to just run it for fun do that.

The 5k happens at every cc stop (weather permitted) so I am sure you will see many DIS'r up and at it.

The podsquad mentioned a few months ago that they were planning to do a big fundraiser for GKTW in the near future, when this is announced, please support it as every dollar counts.

tlcoke
09-23-2010, 08:08 PM

I have spoken to several folks and all agree that arranging the 5k as a fundraiser on castaway has proven to be more difficult than we thought as there are so many variables to take into consideration that we just didn't expect so what we have decided to do is suggest that those who wish to make a donation to GKTW, or run the 5k on their own as a fundraiser do so, and those who wish to just run it for fun do that.

The 5k happens at every cc stop (weather permitted) so I am sure you will see many DIS'r up and at it.

The podsquad mentioned a few months ago that they were planning to do a big fundraiser for GKTW in the near future, when this is announced, please support it as every dollar counts.

Kelly, Thanks for your & Todd's efforts on this even though the details did not work out as hoped.

mdvlprof
09-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Who's still planning to do 5k, even tho it's not a fund-raiser. :confused3 I guess I'll write GKTW a check, but still plan on walking the 5k. Think I can do it, walked at the ren faire with just my cane and didn't get tired until late afternoon.

bigmoonmullen
09-24-2010, 07:26 AM

Kelly, Thanks for your & Todd's efforts on this even though the details did not work out as hoped.

I second that... GKTW will still get what we collected for the Chili & Dog day #1 (at work) plus next Friday's Chili & Dog day #2. We appreciate all the work that was put into this.

jeanigor
09-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Who's still planning to do 5k, even tho it's not a fund-raiser. :confused3 I guess I'll write GKTW a check, but still plan on walking the 5k. Think I can do it, walked at the ren faire with just my cane and didn't get tired until late afternoon.

I'm still going to do it. May not be a 'fundraiser' but it will be a fun-raiser for me. And I can reflect upon all the wonderful things about GKTW over the course.

mainegal
09-24-2010, 07:54 AM
I am still planning on walking the 5K. I figure it is a good way to get off the ship early and explore the island. No running, though!

bigmoonmullen
09-24-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm still going to do it. May not be a 'fundraiser' but it will be a fun-raiser for me. And I can reflect upon all the wonderful things about GKTW over the course.

:thumbsup2

Thank You Todd... we will be out there too.... but we will be in your rear view mirror for only a few minutes before you are out of sight.

I'll send in the money raised the week of the October 4th and will let everyone know on this thread how much we ended up with.

Mark

bigmoonmullen
10-01-2010, 09:08 PM
:thumbsup2

Thank You Todd... we will be out there too.... but we will be in your rear view mirror for only a few minutes before you are out of sight.

I'll send in the money raised the week of the October 4th and will let everyone know on this thread how much we ended up with.

Mark

Hi Everyone,

Today we raised another $269.00 for GKTW bringing our overall total to $639.00. I sent the donation into GKTW this afternoon.

I'm sure they will be happy,

Mark

HillPete
10-02-2010, 11:35 AM
DS10 and I are still planning on walking the 5K. We are working on setting up a page at firstgiving.com so when we bug our friends and relatives, the $$ will go straight to GKTW. :thumbsup2
If we get any cash or checks, we'll drop them off at the village when the cruise returns. I think it's important for DS to see where the $$ is going. He's too young to volunteer, but seeing the facility and the families who benefit from our fundraising should have an impact on him.

--Hillary

mootmoot
10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Not sure what I'm getting myself into - I am sooo not a morning person and add jet lag on top of that... But I'm trying to get back into running and this seems like an awesome goal to work towards. If I don't show up, I'm sleeping, but otherwise count me in! :)

Cherinva
10-05-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm not sure we will be out there, since I booked a morning event...but who knows....I can still donate though...

tlcoke
10-23-2010, 10:25 AM
This is for those who were planning on walking the 5K and want to be in the group picture. You are probably going to have to make the decision on whether to walk or get your picture taken. It will be highly doubtful that you will be able to do both events.

Per previous Navigators the 5K (3.2 miles) will start at 8:30 a.m
Walkers doing a 5K, if walking a moderate to brisk pace will probably do a 20 minute mile pace, that is not stopping and taking pictures along the way or taking in the beauty of the island, at best case, plan that you won't be finished until about 9:40 AM

HillPete
10-24-2010, 11:14 AM
This is for those who were planning on walking the 5K and want to be in the group picture. You are probably going to have to make the decision on whether to walk or get your picture taken. It will be highly doubtful that you will be able to do both events.

Per previous Navigators the 5K (3.2 miles) will start at 8:30 a.m
Walkers doing a 5K, if walking a moderate to brisk pace will probably do a 20 minute mile pace, that is not stopping and taking pictures along the way or taking in the beauty of the island, at best case, plan that you won't be finished until about 9:40 AM

We are really struggling with this at our house. My son was looking forward to completing a 5k and donating to GKTW. We also have worked pretty hard to make this trip happen so we can meet and celebrate with other DISers. I understand that there are only so many hours in a day and so many places that can hold the whole group, but I'm still pretty bummed that we are going to have to give up one event or the other.

--H