PDA

View Full Version : My Yacht Club Experience - I Got Upgraded !

fortwilderness
06-15-2002, 08:30 PM
I had wanted to stay at the Yacht Club for years so I decided to finally take the plunge and stay there on my honeymoon. We were able to book a standard room at a discount of $100 off a night with one of the codes. We didn't give any requests for any room locations or views when we made the reservations. We simply told them it was our honeymoon. From information on this board I decided I would ask for a lake side room when we got to the check in desk so I could escape noise from the parking lot side.

When we arrived at the Yacht Club the lady at the desk wasn't very friendly but I still tried to ask for a lake side room anyway. I even told her I didn't want a view of the lake but just wanted on that side of the resort. She typed on the computer for a minute but shook her head and said the magical words. She said that we had been upgraded to concierge and she was sorry but there weren't any lake view rooms left. I made her repeat herself so I could be sure I wasn't imagining things. Forget the lake side of the resort - I would look at a dumpster and listen to all of the parking lot noise from my window if I could do it from the concierge level ;)

We had room 5180 which is in the very front of the resort. We had the huge balcony which we shared with 3 other rooms but we didn't care. I think I might have cared though if I had actually paid the rate for concierge. The room was also a connecting room that connected to a room of 3 noisy little girls. It was like the walls were made of paper and we could hear practically everything they said. Again, if we had paid the concierge rate we would have cared a lot more than we did. We just took it with a grain of salt and hoped that someday we would be lucky enough to have 3 little girls of our own to take to WDW.

Our room was lovely and well maintained. The only spot of wear I noticed was some paint chipping off of the table. There was some noise in the mornings from the Disney busses but it wasn't too bad. I would stay in a room on that side of the resort again.

We thought the concierge lounge was very nice and the furniture was beautiful. We had breakfast two times, afternoon snacks once, and dinnertime snacks three times. We primarily used the lounge for cokes and sprites. We think that the lounge actually cost us money because we would have the delicious dinnertime snacks and not be hungry for dinner. But then after we came home from our evening activites we would be starving and would have to order very expensive Yacht Club room service because everything was closed. The Yacht Club really needs a 24 hr snack bar like the Poly, CR, GF and WL.

We also had fun feeling rich wearing the YC robes down to the pool and loved having our bed turned down in the evening. I think that we are forever ruined ;)

We spent one afternoon at Stormalong Bay and really enjoyed it. We wouldn't stay at the YC simply because of SB though. It was very nice but not nice enough to influence our resort choice.

Overall we had a wonderful time at the Yacht Club. The only negative thing was that the busses were terribly overcrowded since they share with the Beach Club and the Boardwalk. We were very sad to leave there in order to move over to the Polynesian. We had a nice time at the Poly too but once you have been in YC concierge ya get a little spoiled ;)

That was my very first concierge experience. While it was VERY nice I don't think the extra charge for concierge is worth it unless you have the money to spare. We didn't save much money at all with the drinks and snacks and actually spent more for room service since we ruined our appetites at dinner time. Yes the extra attention was very nice and we felt very special that the staff knew our names after the first day. But that attention and snacks would not be worth it to us to skimp and save or shorten the length of a vacation so we could stay in concierge. But I am certainly not saying we wouldn't want to stay in concierge again - and actually pay for it - someday :D

I fogot to say that the concierge staff said that the lounge is going to be enlarged in the very near future. I did hear some sawing and hammering during the day while we were there and they said that they were already working on remodeling the kitchen. I know that you all already know that the remodeling is going to happen but I just wanted to let you know that it is starting to happen right now.

Patio
06-15-2002, 08:37 PM
Welcome back and Congratulations on your marriage!! How awesome to receive that upgrade and I love your attitude about those 3 little girls.:D I'd love to stay at YC one time. Can you tell me what rate you paid for the standard room? Thanks!!;)

BCV23
06-15-2002, 08:41 PM
Best wishes to you both!!! What a wonderful surprise to be upgraded...and what a refreshing attitude you have.

fortwilderness
06-15-2002, 08:42 PM
Thanks Patio :D

We paid $240 a night including tax for the room. We had one of the codes from mousesavers.com and saved $100 off a night. So the room would have been $340 a night without the discount. :eek: We were there during regular season so value season rates might not be so scary :)

4merlurkerchris
06-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Congratulations and Welcome Back!
Chris

CaliforniaDreaming
06-15-2002, 08:45 PM
Wow, that's great! :) I would LOVE to try the YC Concierge sometime. :D

fortwilderness
06-15-2002, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words everyone :) It is so great to be back on the DisBoards. We had a wonderful honeymoon and we got lots of extra special treatment from cast members. The Yacht Club was so lovely and we definately want to go back again someday.

cindala
06-15-2002, 09:38 PM
Congrats to you both! It doesn't surprise me that you were upgraded, because the YC aims to please! We too were upgraded from standard view to concierge last summer. We loved it, and are forever spoiled!:D:D:D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

princess angel
06-15-2002, 10:10 PM
I know that the YC concierge definitely spoils you! we have stayed at YC concierge 3 times, and it is so wonderful! isnt it so great how thye remember your name after the first day! it sure does spoil you!
I am so happy for you that you had such a wonderful honeymoon, and that you got to experience YC concierge!

you didnt say much about th e Poly, what longhouse were you in? what was your view?

thanks for the reviews! and congrats on your marriage!

Laura :)

fortwilderness
06-15-2002, 10:22 PM
princess angel -

I was in Raratonga and in room 1830. It was a ground level room and we had a very nice view of the monorail. We loved the view. We were also about 15 seconds away from the Great Ceremonial House. We liked the Poly but liked the Yacht Club the best. I will eventually get around to writing a review about the Poly in a few days. I was just more excited about the YC so I started with it first :)

princess angel
06-15-2002, 10:42 PM
thanks! raratonga is a great location!

I know what youmean about being more excited about the YC! I have stayed at both the YC and the Poly 3 times each, and the YC is my favorite hands down!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

Laura :) :) :) :D :D :D

threeboysmom
06-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Congratulations on your wedding!! :) I was pleased to read your review of the YC as we'll be staying there for our 15th anniversary in September. If anyone deserves a complimentary upgrade, it was you two!! Wow! -What a wonderful attitude you and your husband had during your stay there. Now if only the rest of the world would follow your example :)

nwdisgal
06-16-2002, 04:13 PM
fortwildnerness - First of all, congratulations! Also, you have a great attitude (especially being next to some chatty little girls on your honeymoon and not whining about it). Your stay at YC Concierge sounds wonderful. I keep on reading these reviews of YC and am feeling a strong gravitational pull (lol). I am excited to read your review about the Poly, too.

fortwilderness
06-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words everyone :)

Yes we generally have a very good attitude towards children and can't wait to have some of our own. If I didn't have a year of college left we would have probably started trying for our first on the honeymoon ;) We even preferred to stay on the family beach on Castaway Cay because it was just too lonely up at Serenity Bay. We enjoyed watching the children and parents having a fun time :)