PDA

View Full Version : Cobbler

Stacerita
05-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Talk on another thread was about cobbler, and easy cobbler recipes. Anyone up for sharing their recipes? Easy squeezie ones? Family traditions? Tried and true? Expriemental? I want to see them all.

Queenbillabong
05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Well, I don't have any good cobbler recipes, but I'm gonna stalk this thread to find one :rotfl2: C'mon, give up the goods!!

BillyFan
05-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Here's an easy one for Cherry Cobbler

1 can of Comstock Cherry Pie Filling
1 can Crushed Pineapple
1 box Yellow Cake Mix
1 cube Butter

Mix cherries and piceapple together and place in a square baking dish. Melt butter and mix with cake mix. Spoon over top of fruit and bake in 350 oven for about 30 minutes. Serve warm with a little scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

toocherie
05-18-2009, 10:48 PM

1 can Crushed Pineapple
1 box Yellow Cake Mix
1 cube Butter

Mix cherries and piceapple together and place in a square baking dish. Melt butter and mix with cake mix. Spoon over top of fruit and bake in 350 oven for about 30 minutes. Serve warm with a little scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

Well, i know Stacie doesn't do pineapple--I bet you could substitute another fruit?

To me, however--that sounds yummy. Tina--one question--you don't "make up" the cake mix first--right? You mix the melted butter and the dry cake mix together? this is very similar to a recipe that I got from the Inn on Mt. Ada on Catalina--and thinking back I think instead of pineapple you used a can of pitted cherries. And you don't drain the pineapple, right? (and you could also use other Pie fillings too). I also added a cup of pecans to mine. Oh gosh--I have to make this for company I'm having next weekend!

Stacerita
05-18-2009, 10:48 PM

1 can Crushed Pineapple
1 box Yellow Cake Mix
1 cube Butter

I make one similar to yours....

1 can chunk Pineapple
1 box Yellow Cake Mix
1 cube Butter

Drain pineapple, then mix with cherry pie filling and put in the bottom of a baking dish. Sprinkle dry cake mix over the top of the fruit. Melt butter and drizzle over the top of the cake mix. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

You can swap out the cherry pie filling and pineapple for two cans of peach pie filing or two cans of apple pie filing. And since I don't do pineapple, sometimes its two cans of cherry instead. I also sometimes toss a little rum into the mix.

BillyFan
05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Well, i know Stacie doesn't do pineapple--I bet you could substitute another fruit?

To me, however--that sounds yummy. Tina--one question--you don't "make up" the cake mix first--right? You mix the melted butter and the dry cake mix together? this is very similar to a recipe that I got from the Inn on Mt. Ada on Catalina--and thinking back I think instead of pineapple you used a can of pitted cherries. And you don't drain the pineapple, right? (and you could also use other Pie fillings too). I also added a cup of pecans to mine. Oh gosh--I have to make this for company I'm having next weekend!

Right--just mix the dry mix with the melted butter.
I don't drain the pineapple--too much work! It you don't like pineapple, jsut use 2 cans of the cherry pie filling.
And sure, you can use any pie filling you want, it's fine with me!

I make one similar to yours....

1 can chunk Pineapple
1 box Yellow Cake Mix
1 cube Butter

Drain pineapple, then mix with cherry pie filling and put in the bottom of a baking dish. Sprinkle dry cake mix over the top of the fruit. Melt butter and drizzle over the top of the cake mix. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

You can swap out the cherry pie filling adn pineapple for two cans of peach pie filing or two cans of apple pie filing. I also sometimes toss a little rum into the mix.

RUM!?!?!? Very interesting...........

Minnie&Nana
05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
This is going to be great - thanks for starting it, Stacie! :cheer2:

I'll try to find my grandmother's peach cobbler recipe. :)

Oh, darn. I don't have a printer right now! Will save this thread and print it at UPS after a few pages.

Pecans? Rum? This could be one interesting cobbler...especially if we mix the pecans and rum together. :thumbsup2

A question: instead of using pie filling, would fresh peaches, apples or blueberries work as well?

jordansmomma
05-18-2009, 11:37 PM

1 can Crushed Pineapple
1 box Yellow Cake Mix
1 cube Butter

This sounds easy!
I could probably make this!

Stacerita
05-18-2009, 11:40 PM
This is going to be great - thanks for starting it, Stacie! :cheer2:

I'll try to find my grandmother's peach cobbler recipe. :)

Oh, darn. I don't have a printer right now! Will save this thread and print it at UPS after a few pages.

Pecans? Rum? This could be one interesting cobbler...especially if we mix the pecans and rum together. :thumbsup2

A question: instead of using pie filling, would fresh peaches, apples or blueberries work as well?

Yeah, you would just need to "cook" them like you normally would when making a filing. On the stovetop with sugar etc. But doing it with fresh fruit takes away the super easiness of it.

Minnie&Nana
05-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Shoot...I'd hate to take the super easiness out...

Will have to ponder this situation a bit now ;) ....after all, haven't baked a real homemade pie in about 100 yrs, so it must be super easy...but sort of healthy or no one around here will eat it (except me since I add powdered sugar to nearly everything. Sooo good. :thumbsup2)

How about using frozen fruit???

BillyFan
05-19-2009, 12:08 AM
This sounds easy!
I could probably make this!

You can do it! :cool1:

lulubelle
05-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Anyone with a simple recipe for Apple Cobbler?
That's my favorite.:lovestruc

grumpyvet
05-19-2009, 01:24 AM
I will have to think about this one, but I am sure I have something!! I took Tiramasu to work today for everyone to share....I was popular!!

Maybe I should try that with the new boss???

sahbushka
05-19-2009, 01:27 AM
This is all very similar to mine, but we use rhubarb and whatever other fruit we want...

In a 13 X 9 pan spread rhubarb and fruit of choice to cover bottom. Spinkle on a package of powdered jello...flavor of choice. Spread 1/4-1/2 cup of sugar or sugar substitute over top and then put 1/2 box yellow cake mix over top of that. Drizzle on 1 cube margarine or 1/2 -1 cup water. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Anyway, I usually substitue the sugar and the butter to make it a little better for the waistline, but either way is yummy...my fave is with raspberries but you can use anything, peaches, plums, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, you name it...don't know how it would do with apples though...I have never tried it.

Sarah

sahbushka
05-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Shoot...I'd hate to take the super easiness out...

Will have to ponder this situation a bit now ;) ....after all, haven't baked a real homemade pie in about 100 yrs, so it must be super easy...but sort of healthy or no one around here will eat it (except me since I add powdered sugar to nearly everything. Sooo good. :thumbsup2)

How about using frozen fruit???

I made my first homemade pie ever this past month...I made the crust and everything! It was so cool! My dh has requested one for fathers day!

Sarah

sahbushka
05-19-2009, 01:30 AM

I am pretty sure I have one at home...a friend made it for a get together and while I haven't made it, it tasted delish and looked pretty easy. I think I know right where it is and will post once I can!

Sarah

Minnie&Nana
05-19-2009, 08:33 AM
I made my first homemade pie ever this past month...I made the crust and everything! It was so cool! My dh has requested one for fathers day!

Sarah

Wow, that's great!! Care to share the recipe??? Was it easy? :)

tinkermell
05-19-2009, 10:06 AM

1 can Crushed Pineapple
1 box Yellow Cake Mix
1 cube Butter

Mix cherries and piceapple together and place in a square baking dish. Melt butter and mix with cake mix. Spoon over top of fruit and bake in 350 oven for about 30 minutes. Serve warm with a little scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.This sounds alot like "Dump Cake!" Except I think with that you also add nuts and coconut!

Whatever.............yours looks yummy! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

tinkermell
05-19-2009, 10:11 AM
I am on the look out for berry cobbler. Something like "Claim Jumper's?"

Same with peach cobbler. I tend to like rolled out dough cobbler, verses the crumble kind.

Anybody out there have anything like that?

Queenbillabong
05-19-2009, 10:28 AM
This sounds alot like "Dump Cake!" Except I think with that you also add nuts and coconut!

Whatever.............yours looks yummy! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

OK - what's a dump cake? Do you have a recipe??? I need something SUPER easy and yummy. Frank wants to have a BBQ here first week of June (hopefully the weather gets better by then!!)

Minnie&Nana
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by BillyFan

1 can Crushed Pineapple
1 box Yellow Cake Mix
1 cube Butter

Sooo..this may not work for me as I prefer at least a medium scoop of ice cream on my warm cobbler. ;) :rotfl2: Am I losing it?

OK - what's a dump cake? Do you have a recipe??? I need something SUPER easy and yummy. Frank wants to have a BBQ here first week of June (hopefully the weather gets better by then!!)

I'd love something super easy for this weekend. Would like to whip together something delicious for the gathering after Sophia's Christening. ::yes::

jordansmomma
05-19-2009, 11:15 AM

Thanks!

I really am a good cook, if I had the time. But baking...you should see how flat my cookies turn out!!!! :rotfl2:

jordansmomma
05-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Usually if I want something baked, I call my aunt, give her my debit card or I go shopping & drop the items off at her house.....

and....

Viola & I get......

blackberry cobbler, peach cobbler or cookies or some sort of yumminess.....

sahbushka
05-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Wow, that's great!! Care to share the recipe??? Was it easy? :)

I will get the recipe once I get home. It wasn't too hard at all. The crust recipe makes 4 crusts so you just freeze the ones you don't use for later. I had a difficult time figuring out how to roll the crust evenly and in a circle, but besides that it wasn't bad at all and it tasted great! The most important part was putting the foil around the edge before putting it in the oven and making sure to put it on the bottom rack.

I updated my cobbler post on the first page with with length of time to cook.

Sarah

pixiewings71
05-19-2009, 02:35 PM

LOL I totally pictured Rob Schneider saying that! LOL

I am on the look out for berry cobbler. Something like "Claim Jumper's?"

Same with peach cobbler. I tend to like rolled out dough cobbler, verses the crumble kind.

Anybody out there have anything like that?

I've got one but it isn't traditional and doesn't have a bottom crust.

Dump Cake is where you just basically dump everything in the pan, mix and bake. It's very easy but I'm not much of a fan of dump cake. lol

Thanks!

I really am a good cook, if I had the time. But baking...you should see how flat my cookies turn out!!!! :rotfl2:

Do you flatten them when you put them on the cookie sheet? If so don't do that and they should be ok, if not then maybe try cooking at a slightly lower temp or time, sometimes if cookies are in too long they will just flatten out.

My recipe uses FRESH fruit not canned (yuck) or frozen, but you can use frozen if you need to. I prep my fresh fruit simply by slicing it and adding some sugar and cinnamon depending on the fruit, if it's berries like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc etc I just add sugar and let them sit, they soak up the sugar and make their own juice and it doesn't take that long at all. If it's harder fruits like apples, pears (we have a pear tree out back), peaches etc etc then I add sugar and cinnamon and let them sit. My recipes are very very easy, unfortunately I don't have the measurements here so I'll edit this when I get home.

Oh ya, if I do use frozen fruit I add the same sugar or sugar/cinnamon as I indicated above and just let them thaw like, the only one I don't do that with is strawberries.

erinbev
05-19-2009, 11:47 PM
I love peach cobbler. Love love love. My gramma has always made it this way, and calls it a "cuppa cuppa cuppa" recipe :)

1 cup butter, melted in glass casserole dish
mix together 1 cup milk and 1 cup self rising flour, and pour that in the dish, in the melted butter (don't stir it!)
then pour in a big can of peaches (however much you like), don't drain the peaches, either!
you can also add cinnamon or nutmeg or whatever you like

then you just bake it till it is a little brown on the top. I don't remember what temperature, though...I think like 350? Oh, it is so good. Especially with vanilla ice cream! :9

Oh, now I'm hungry.

jordansmomma
05-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Kerri~ Nope I don't flatten the cookies, it just happens that way....I am a terrible baker...I will try what you suggested next time I make cookies.

pixiewings71
05-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Kerri~ Nope I don't flatten the cookies, it just happens that way....I am a terrible baker...I will try what you suggested next time I make cookies.

Don't give up, if that doesn't work try me again and let's see what we can think of. :)

toocherie
05-20-2009, 03:25 PM

have you checked your baking soda/powder lately? If you've had it for a long time it can lose it's effectiveness and cause flat baked goods . . . .

jordansmomma
05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
have you checked your baking soda/powder lately? If you've had it for a long time it can lose it's effectiveness and cause flat baked goods . . . .

I always buy a new one, I never know how long it will last. Since I don't bake very often.

toocherie
05-20-2009, 04:08 PM
I always buy a new one, I never know how long it will last. Since I don't bake very often.

Well then--that can't be the problem--hmmm. Maybe you're overmixing?

Candy30
05-20-2009, 04:26 PM
I know you were talking about cobbler but my girlfriend sent me this and I love it. It's easy. Great fix during that time when you are having chocolate withdrawal. So I thought I'd share this. I am subscribing to this thread.

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix
thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well..
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).
And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any
time of the day or night!

Stacerita
05-20-2009, 07:22 PM

The one I posted you can do with apples.

2 cans apple pie filling
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick of butter

Put the apple filing in the bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle the dry cake mix on top. Melt butter and pour over the cake mix. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour.

Easy.

LavenderPeach
05-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Okay, here's my grandma's recipe for apple cobbler or rubbarb cobbler. It's a crumble one, not a crust one but it's really easy and it uses fresh fruit!

4 cups sliced apples (4-6 med. apples)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar (use more or less depending on how tart the apples are and how sweet you like it)

Mix apples, lemon juice and sugar together in a bowl. Put mixture in greased shallow baking dish.

** for rhubarb cut up 4 cups of rhubarb into 1 inch pieces and mix in a bowl with 2/3 cup sugar **

Topping:
1/3 cup flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted margarine

Mix topping ingredients together until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over top of apples (or rhubarb) and bake at 375 degrees about 30 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork.

Oh and I'm going to have to try that chocolate cake in a mug. That sounds yummy!

pixiewings71
05-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Okay, here's my grandma's recipe for apple cobbler or rubbarb cobbler. It's a crumble one, not a crust one but it's really easy and it uses fresh fruit!

1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar (use more or less depending on how tart the apples are and how sweet you like it)

Mix apples, lemon juice and sugar together in a bowl. Put mixture in greased shallow baking dish.

** for rhubarb cut up 4 cups of rhubarb into 1 inch pieces and mix in a bowl with 2/3 cup sugar **

Topping:
1/3 cup flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted margarine

Mix topping ingredients together until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over top of apples (or rhubarb) and bake at 375 degrees about 30 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork.

Oh and I'm going to have to try that chocolate cake in a mug. That sounds yummy!

HA! I don't have to post mine now because that's it! LOL Too funny, mine is from Gma too....hmmmmmmm And I use peaches, pears, apples with this one. YUM!!!! I actually have frozen pears (from our tree) just waiting for me to make this! :)

LavenderPeach
05-21-2009, 08:44 AM
HA! I don't have to post mine now because that's it! LOL Too funny, mine is from Gma too....hmmmmmmm And I use peaches, pears, apples with this one. YUM!!!! I actually have frozen pears (from our tree) just waiting for me to make this! :)

How funny! I guess that was a popular recipe for that generation!

lntsmom
05-21-2009, 05:18 PM
That recipe is what I've always called Dump Cake. A warning to anyone trying to substitute fresh fruit: you'll need to make a simple syrup to go with the fruit! The cake mix absorbs the moisture from the pie filling and pineapple and that, with the butter, is what makes it set up into a crust. Without the extra moisture you'll just get powdered cake mix on top of fruit!

My cobbler recipe calls for mixing the cake mix with 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of quick cook oats, 1 tsp of cinnamon, and a melted cup of butter. Mix altogether and spoon over the fruit filling.

It's close to the same, but doesn't rely so much on the fruit goo to give it it's moisture!

CoMickey
05-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Yay! Glad I found this thread...we have a block party to go to this weekend and I need to take a dessert and a cobbler will be just perfect! Thanks everyone...now to decide which fruit to use and which recipe! :confused3

pixiewings71
05-21-2009, 07:35 PM
I used to do a cobbler type of recipe, I just used a yellow cake mix, 1 stick of butter and fruit. Put the fruit in the bottom of your pan, cut the butter into the cake mix and pour it on top of the fruit, bake it up and that's it. This was my ex's recipe and he did use canned fruit, probably because the cake mix sucked up the moisture. lol

I totally forgot about that one until the PP mentioned the cake mix sucking up the moisture. LOL

Mary Jo
05-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I hadn't realized cobbler was so easy to make! Too bad my oven doesn't work. :teeth:

jordansmomma
05-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Well then--that can't be the problem--hmmm. Maybe you're overmixing?

It could just be the baker................

sahbushka
05-23-2009, 02:16 AM
Sorry I haven't had a chance to put up my crust recipe...I haven't been home and with access to a computer. I am so sleepy right now. I am glad I get 2 whole days off...at least that's the plan so far...they could always call me in on my day off. Ugg. As I am trying to lose weight I will not be making any kind of cobbler or pie until fathers day which is only about a month away. Hope you all are having fun baking.

Sarah

PS the cake in the mug sound delish!

lulubelle
05-24-2009, 01:42 AM

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Topping:
1/3 cup flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted margarine

It sounds divine, yummm.:thumbsup2
Thank you so much Lavender Peach!

Stacerita
05-27-2009, 01:01 AM
So I just finished eating a slice of cake, and now I want some cobbler.

BillyFan
05-27-2009, 01:25 AM
I made these today and they were delish! :)

Lemon Squares

1 Lemon Cake Mix
1 egg
3 T veg oil.
Mix above with fork until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup.
Press rest of mixture into square baking pan. Bake in 350 oven for 15 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, beat well 8 oz cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar and juice of 2 lemons. Pour mixture on top of baked dish and sprinkle reserved batter on top of cheese. Bake an additional 15 minutes.
Chill before serving.

Today I made three different batches, each with a different fruit pressed into the cheese mixture before serving. I did blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. I think the raspberries were the best.

Stacerita
05-27-2009, 01:41 AM
I made these today and they were delish! :)

Lemon Squares

1 Lemon Cake Mix
1 egg
3 T veg oil.
Mix above with fork until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup.
Press rest of mixture into square baking pan. Bake in 350 oven for 15 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, beat well 8 oz cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar and juice of 2 lemons. Pour mixture on top of baked dish and sprinkle reserved batter on top of cheese. Bake an additional 15 minutes.
Chill before serving.

Today I made three different batches, each with a different fruit pressed into the cheese mixture before serving. I did blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. I think the raspberries were the best.

Those sound to die for. I love me a good lemon bar. Thanks!

Candy30
05-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Billy Fan,

That sounds wonderful!!! I want to do the lemon and strawberry one. Did you use fresh strawberries, raspb, etc or can fruit? Did you use lemon cake for all of them? I was wondering if a chocolate cake with the strawberry would work. Can you tell I love chocolate?! :worship:

Leshaface
05-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Haven't read through all the replies but this is my all time favorite dessert and just made it a couple days ago!

1/2 cup melted butter
1 can (16oz) canned peach slices, undrained
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat over to 400F

Melt butter in a microwavable dish; pour in to 13x9 baking pan; spread into each corner. Spread peaches with juice evenly on top of butter; set aside.

Thoroughly combine sugar, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl. Stir in milk and vanilla. Spread mixture on top of peaches and bake for 30-35 minutes.

Side note: When I have them fresh or frozen, I usually add 1 cup of blueberries with the peaches

This tastes so yummy!

BillyFan
05-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Billy Fan,

That sounds wonderful!!! I want to do the lemon and strawberry one. Did you use fresh strawberries, raspb, etc or can fruit? Did you use lemon cake for all of them? I was wondering if a chocolate cake with the strawberry would work. Can you tell I love chocolate?! :worship:

I used fresh fruit and lemon cake for all. I think chocolate cake with strawberries would be awesome, and I think I may just steal your idea! If you do it that way, I would just omit the lemon juice in the filling and maybe you a bit of vanilla.

LavenderPeach
05-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Billy Fan,

I used fresh fruit and lemon cake for all. I think chocolate cake with strawberries would be awesome, and I think I may just steal your idea! If you do it that way, I would just omit the lemon juice in the filling and maybe you a bit of vanilla.

Mmmmm....... I like the chocolate cake idea too! That sounds like it would be really good. I'm not much of a fan of fruity desserts (dare I post that on a thread about cobblers? :scared:) but chocolate....now that catches my attention! If anyone tries the chocolate version let us know how it went!

Candy30
05-28-2009, 11:01 AM
I think chocolate cake with strawberries would be awesome, and I think I may just steal your idea! If you do it that way, I would just omit the lemon juice in the filling and maybe you a bit of vanilla.
Steal away! I was thinking the same thing about the vanilla instead of lemon. Maybe I will try it this weekend! Will let you know how it turns out Lavendar.

PhatKat
05-29-2009, 10:24 PM
I know I'm a little slow, I just saw this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents.
2 cans Pie filling.
mix 1 cake mix (I use Yellow) with 1 softened cube of butter.
Spread on top of filling.
I don't cook, but this is so easy how can I pass it up. The neighbors love it!
I've made a cherry cobbler, & a Peach Cobbler before. Hope it's not to late.:thumbsup2

OceanAnnie
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
This is all very similar to mine, but we use rhubarb and whatever other fruit we want...

In a 13 X 9 pan spread rhubarb and fruit of choice to cover bottom. Spinkle on a package of powdered jello...flavor of choice. Spread 1/4-1/2 cup of sugar or sugar substitute over top and then put 1/2 box yellow cake mix over top of that. Drizzle on 1 cube margarine or 1/2 -1 cup water. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Anyway, I usually substitue the sugar and the butter to make it a little better for the waistline, but either way is yummy...my fave is with raspberries but you can use anything, peaches, plums, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, you name it...don't know how it would do with apples though...I have never tried it.

Sarah

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm going to try this recipe using sliced peaches and pears.

sahbushka
07-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Yum! Hope you love it!

Sarah

OceanAnnie
07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
I think it will be fine! I had a whole bag of pears & apples that have gone uneaten. I've put it together just now. I made it a little different from your recipe, because I wanted some crunch. I put the fruit on the bottom, then in a bowl I chopped pecans and cranraisins together, then I added about 1/4 c. of brown sugar and about 1/4 cup of water. Blended them and topped the fruit with it.

Then I put a box of vanilla flavored Jello over that. I went a little crazy on the crunch factor. :upsidedow I added some granola on top of that. It has dried raspberries, coconut, strawberries and almonds in it.

Lastly I put the cake mix on top of all of that and put some lite margarine pats here and there on top. Not too much different than your recipe, Sarah. :) I'll let you know how it turns out!

fhtpdw20
07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I have made the basic dump caken described in other posts (dry cake mix over pie filling and butter drizzled on top). I mix up the cake flavors with different pie fillings. Cherry pie filling with devil food cake mix is good. Spice cake mix with apple or peaches is another favorite. Blueberry and strawberry works well with white, yellow or butter cake mixes.