PDA

View Full Version : For the First Time Cruisers -Ask your questions here

Pages : [1] 2

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I know you are all very excited and anxious about PCC 2.0.

I know on my first cruise I wanted to know everything now LOL. I thought I would open this thread up to questions you may have that we can start to answer for you while Tracy is vacating (I see you peeking in here miss Tracy ;) ).

Since many of us have cruised more than once and since so many just got off the Wonder , we can't answer questions specific to hotels, airfare, etc. and the PCC but maybe we can help you with other questions.

So ask away...

BeamsofLight
05-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Okay ... I have one that I thought of last night while listening to the Podcast Cruise Primer series again.

On other lines with one main dining room you (mainly) have assigned seating, right? So, you find your table and go back there every night if you're doing the MDR dining thing.

And I know Disney Cruises have their rotating dining setup, where you move to a different dining room each night (or with some repetition depending on the length of the cruise). How do you know where you're supposed to sit in the different dining rooms? Do they have a 'seater'? Do you have the same tablemates while you move around? Or can you go from being at a 4-top one night to an 8-top the next?

For the record I'm aware this is likely a stupid question, but looking at pictures of the dining rooms, I couldn't figure it out and now I'm all curious. :blush:

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Okay ... I have one that I thought of last night while listening to the Podcast Cruise Primer series again.

On other lines with one main dining room you (mainly) have assigned seating, right? So, you find your table and go back there every night if you're doing the MDR dining thing.

And I know Disney Cruises have their rotating dining setup, where you move to a different dining room each night (or with some repetition depending on the length of the cruise). How do you know where you're supposed to sit in the different dining rooms? Do they have a 'seater'? Do you have the same tablemates while you move around? Or can you go from being at a 4-top one night to an 8-top the next?

For the record I'm aware this is likely a stupid question, but looking at pictures of the dining rooms, I couldn't figure it out and now I'm all curious. :blush:

First there are no stupid questions... DCL is a complicated machine and can get confusing...

When you get your KTTWC (Cabin key) you will find your table assignment number printed on that card. You will have the same table number assigned each night. So when you arrive you just tell the greeter you are at table #60 say and they will show you where #60 is in that dining room. You will always be assigned the same table mates for the length of the cruise. It doesn't mean they will be at each meal but they will be assigned to the same table

Hope that answered your question.

DisneyKevin
05-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Loving this thread!!!!!!

Awesome idea.

Thanks.

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks Kevin - Least I can do is try and answer some questions..

CDolacki2003
05-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Is breakfast and lunch done at certain times or assigned seating? My DH is a breakfastaholic, I could be satisfied with just a cup a joe.

Lease
05-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Would we be required to get a category 4 stateroom for our party of 5 even though 3 members of the party will be under 2 years old?

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Is breakfast and lunch done at certain times or assigned seating? My DH is a breakfastaholic, I could be satisfied with just a cup a joe.

No assigned times and no assigned seating. There are several places you can eat, including room service (remember it is free). We sometimes will eat on deck, sometimes in our room and sometimes in a dining room, just depends on the mood we are in at the time.

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Would we be required to get a category 4 stateroom for our party of 5 even though 3 members of the party will be under 2 years old?

This I don't know... Someone from Dreams (hint hint) should know this answer better than I

wildfan1473
05-17-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't have any questions (at the moment, anyway :) ), but I wanted to echo what Kevin said - this is a great idea!

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Why am I not surprised that the first two questions on this thread refer to food??? Not cruise etiquette, not cruise safety or staterooms but food...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I love it here

jen3003
05-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks Kelly for starting this thread. I am one of those first time cruisers and I'm sure I will think of many questions before we set sail.
Just hope nobody will get sick of me before that. LOL

CinderellasSister
05-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Ok, I have one. And thanks for starting this thread. I have a feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time here. :surfweb:

Anyway, when I did the form for the quote, it asked about transfers. Could someone please fill me in if I need them? I'm thinking we're going to stay in Disney a few nights before the cruise. Can I just take the DCL magical express, or do I have to set up something special? And how do we get back to the airport after the cruise?

Oh, and one more thing... what's a better dining time? I'm thinking of the early one because of the kids, but will we miss more events because of that? Would the later time be best?

disneym2m
05-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Another dining question..... it is all about the food, right...:lmao:

If you have friends going on the cruise at the same time...can you request dining together? Or does DCL pick your dining guests for you???? What happens if you don't get along with the new people you are having dinner with????

IS THERE CAKE....OR PIE????? (Just had to throw that one in). :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 05:56 PM

If you have friends going on the cruise at the same time...can you request dining together? Or does DCL pick your dining guests for you???? What happens if you don't get along with the new people you are having dinner with????

IS THERE CAKE....OR PIE????? (Just had to throw that one in). :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Yes you can request to be seated together. Just let Tracy know when you do your reservations and she will be able to make note of it in the DCL reservations.

I have heard that you can request a change if you don't get along but I've also read that it is very rare for that to happen...

As for cake and pie, there is BOTH :thumbsup2

Minnie Rose
05-17-2009, 06:42 PM
thank you for this thread. It's a fantastic idea!
I am a first time cruiser hopeful (my husband told me "give me some days to think about it - it's a budget thing), and I have lots of questions. One is: with a 3 years old child should I choose an early dinner or a late one? I know it depends on the child's habits and family, but I was wondering if you could express the pros and cons of both for families with young children. What are your experiences reccommending?

(my first question is about food - you are so right!)

cm387
05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
there are 6 of us so does anybody have any info on connecting rooms?? Are they on specific decks or specific catagories?

bigmoonmullen
05-17-2009, 07:19 PM
I know you are all very excited and anxious about PCC 2.0.

I know on my first cruise I wanted to know everything now LOL. I thought I would open this thread up to questions you may have that we can start to answer for you while Tracy is vacating (I see you peeking in here miss Tracy ;) ).

Since many of us have cruised more than once and since so many just got off the Wonder , we can't answer questions specific to hotels, airfare, etc. and the PCC but maybe we can help you with other questions.

So ask away...

Hi Kelly:

This was nice of you to start this thread. I'm know I'll follow this thread and probably will be asking a few questions too.

Like... money aside.... Assuming that we want a Veranda room what category room would you recommend and why?

Category 4, 5 or 6.

Thanks again Kelly!!!! :thumbsup2

Mark

OhBother
05-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Hello everyone. The 2010 podcast cruise will be the first cruise for my wife and I. I feel like I know so much from listening to past podcasts over the years and reading stuff online, but there are a couple of issues that I am not 100% familiar with and thought I would use this forum to get some clarification on. First, we live in Auburndale, just down the road from Disney. We are capable of driving to the port if we have to but are we eligible to take the cruise line bus even if we dont' happen to stay on property at that time?? Are we able to drive from Auburndale to Disney and catch the bus to the port or will we be on our own. I'm not clear on that point. My second question, regards paying for the cruise. I understand the deposit part but does the rest of the balance have to be paid all in one lump sum or can you make small payments towards the balance a little bit at a time. I'm not clear on those points. Any help would truly be appreciated. Thanks!!

DisneyKevin
05-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Hi folks...

Posting this from my iPhone....

Will answer as many questions as I can when I get home. Give me an hour.

:)

Kevin

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 08:01 PM
If I havent answered a question it's because I don't know the answer but don't worry someone will come along and answer it for you....

"First, we live in Auburndale, just down the road from Disney. We are capable of driving to the port if we have to but are we eligible to take the cruise line bus even if we dont' happen to stay on property at that time?? Are we able to drive from Auburndale to Disney and catch the bus to the port or will we be on our own. I'm not clear on that point. My second question, regards paying for the cruise. I understand the deposit part but does the rest of the balance have to be paid all in one lump sum or can you make small payments towards the balance a little bit at a time. I'm not clear on those points. Any help would truly be appreciated. Thanks!!"

DCL bus transports are only for land and sea packets and those who pay the additional fee for the transport. Since you live so close, I would have someone drive me and pick me up. It's just like going to the airport, they will pull up and drop you off.

As for the payment, DU has always let me make small payments along the way with paid in full status about 90 days out (not sure the exact number of days, and I know that the paid in full date is a DCL policy). I can't imagine it isn't the same for this. Kevin is that right???

Hope that helped

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 08:04 PM
I am a first time cruiser hopeful (my husband told me "give me some days to think about it - it's a budget thing), and I have lots of questions. One is: with a 3 years old child should I choose an early dinner or a late one? I know it depends on the child's habits and family, but I was wondering if you could express the pros and cons of both for families with young children. What are your experiences recommending?

Minnie - My DH and I don't travel with kids, they all grew up and moved out on us :thumbsup2 so I will leave this to a current parent who has experienced this to answer.... Sorry I can't help

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Ok, I have one. And thanks for starting this thread. I have a feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time here. :surfweb:

Anyway, when I did the form for the quote, it asked about transfers. Could someone please fill me in if I need them? I'm thinking we're going to stay in Disney a few nights before the cruise. Can I just take the DCL magical express, or do I have to set up something special? And how do we get back to the airport after the cruise?

Oh, and one more thing... what's a better dining time? I'm thinking of the early one because of the kids, but will we miss more events because of that? Would the later time be best?

Cynthia - We have always driven to WDW and to DCL so never had to do anything with transfers. Someone will be here to answer soon I am sure..

BeamsofLight
05-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Why am I not surprised that the first two questions on this thread refer to food??? Not cruise etiquette, not cruise safety or staterooms but food...

I love it here

We definitely have our priorities right here at the Unplugged boards. :rotfl:

Thanks for your answer about the seating arrangements! That does make sense. :goodvibes

ADP
05-17-2009, 08:17 PM

Cruise transfers are completely different than Magical Express. You do need to request them if you don't intend to drive to and from Port Canaveral. The DCL motor coach can take you from MCO to Port Canaveral or from a WDW resort to Port Canaveral. It works the same way going back. You can go directly from Port Canaveral to MCO or a WDW resort. I believe the cost is around $70 per person round trip.

I'd choose the 2nd dining time. We have a 9 year old girl and like you I was worried about eating a little later, but honestly it was not a big deal at all. Just keep in mind if your child gets hungry around 4:00 you can always grab something quick on deck 9 like a hot dog, french fries, a small pizza, etc. That will satify their appetite until 8:15. We also enjoyed watching the show before dinner. It made for a more pleasant and relaxed evening.

Hope that helps. :)

sshaw10060
05-17-2009, 08:33 PM
I am a first time cruiser hopeful (my husband told me "give me some days to think about it - it's a budget thing), and I have lots of questions. One is: with a 3 years old child should I choose an early dinner or a late one? I know it depends on the child's habits and family, but I was wondering if you could express the pros and cons of both for families with young children. What are your experiences reccommending?

I would definitely recommend early dining with a little one. Late dining doesn't even get seated until 8pm and dinner easily lasts 90 minutes. We prefer early dining then go back to the room and change the little on into PJs and go to the show. That way if he falls asleep you're all set.

- Scott

Mike2023
05-17-2009, 08:41 PM

I love it here

Is there anything more important then food? :rotfl:

Minnie Rose
05-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I would definitely recommend early dining with a little one. Late dining doesn't even get seated until 8pm and dinner easily lasts 90 minutes. We prefer early dining then go back to the room and change the little on into PJs and go to the show. That way if he falls asleep you're all set.

- Scott

Thank you Scott for the advice. And also the pj idea before the show it's a good idea!

Monica

DisneyKevin
05-17-2009, 09:12 PM

As far as DCL is concerned, every person in the room counts, regardless of age.

If you wish to all stay in one room, the lowest category stateroom that accommodates 5 is a category 4.

You might want to consider connecting staterooms in a lower category. This would allow you more space. You would need to put an adult in eaxh reservation, but DCL isnt concerned with sleeping arrangements.

Here is adescription of each stateroom category:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/staterooms.htm

Here are the ship's deck plans:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/deck-plans.htm

DisneyKevin
05-17-2009, 09:17 PM

Magical Express will take you from OIA to the resorts and back to the airport.

DCL transfers and a bunch of other info can be found here:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/faq.htm

You are going to see me refer folks to the Dreams Unlimited Travel website alot. The Frequently Asked Questions page contains a huge amount of info.

Only you can decide on whats the right dining time for your family.

If you have early dining, you see the shows after dinner. If you have late dining, you see the shows before dinner.

Some folks find late dining too late for young kids.

SWB
05-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi Kelly:

This was nice of you to start this thread. I'm know I'll follow this thread and probably will be asking a few questions too.

Like... money aside.... Assuming that we want a Veranda room what category room would you recommend and why?

Category 4, 5 or 6.

Thanks again Kelly!!!! :thumbsup2

Mark

I'd like input on this one also. We're looking at Category 5, 6 or 7. Opinions about which one would be appreciated. I am leaning towards 6.
Thanks,
Steve

mainegal
05-17-2009, 10:19 PM
If you have early dining, you see the shows after dinner. If you have late dining, you see the shows before dinner.

Some folks find late dining too late for young kids.

How about adults without young kids? I am used to eating dinner around 6:00. But I don't really want to eat at "the kids table" if that is what the early dinner means! Do most of the adult podcast cruisers do the late dinner?

I can get a snack before the show, right?

momto2inKC
05-17-2009, 10:23 PM
How about adults without young kids? I am used to eating dinner around 6:00. But I don't really want to eat at "the kids table" if that is what the early dinner means! Do most of the adult podcast cruisers do the late dinner?

When the kids and I cruised last month, we had late dining. There were lots of kids at late dining, so I would venture to guess that early/late doesn't really matter as far as more/less kids in the dining room. They do however try to seat you with like parties. For instance if you have no kids, you'll probably be seated at an adult only table. We were seated with another family with 2 kids (they were quite younger than my kids though).

Renysmom
05-17-2009, 10:30 PM

You can get a snack 24/7 so there is no fear there... all though they do charge for snacks at the snack bar outside the shows.. (movie theater type snacks, w/out popcorn ;) )

We prefer early dining, even without the kids. I just hate to eat that late. That is us though, others have their own feelings... There are children at all the seatings as well as adult only tables at both seatings. They do a really good job of balance I think! Personally I would ask for early dining, chances are really good you can change it down the road to late if you decide as there is always a waitlist for early dining, rarely does it happen the other way around..

Code
05-17-2009, 11:17 PM

If you wish to all stay in one room, the lowest category stateroom that accommodates 5 is a category 4.

You might want to consider connecting staterooms in a lower category. This would allow you more space. You would need to put an adult in eaxh reservation, but DCL isnt concerned with sleeping arrangements.

We were toying with the idea of bringing our boys, but so much for that. Don't think we could swing the cost of cat 4 or even 2x cat 11. Boo :sad1: You weren't joking on the last email show when you said we priced ourselves right out of standard rooms in one fell swoop!

Renysmom
05-18-2009, 06:14 AM
We were toying with the idea of bringing our boys, but so much for that. Don't think we could swing the cost of cat 4 or even 2x cat 11. Boo :sad1: You weren't joking on the last email show when you said we priced ourselves right out of standard rooms in one fell swoop!

Think of it this way... You and your wonderful DW will have been tripleting for 18 months when the cruise starts, you will be ready for a grown-up vacation and the boys will be old enough that you should be feeling comfortable leaving them at home for a few days (with a sitter of course hehehe).. I think this would be a perfect break for you both, its not to long to be apart but long enough....

Yes I am an enabler :)

Brumeiser
05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
First the porthole we are getting a room with that because of my fear of enclosed spaces, my wife is wondering with such a big window will you have moonlight, sunlight coming in and the room will not be completey dark. We chose category 8.
Second from what we understood there is no charge for the kids activities correct? And how do you keep in touch with your kids when you are apart? Do they have pagers our what?
Will they have anything interesting for a 8 year old to do?

that is all the questions for now. Thanks everyone.

bigmoonmullen
05-18-2009, 02:55 PM
First the porthole we are getting a room with that because of my fear of enclosed spaces, my wife is wondering with such a big window will you have moonlight, sunlight coming in and the room will not be completey dark. We chose category 8.
Second from what we understood there is no charge for the kids activities correct? And how do you keep in touch with your kids when you are apart? Do they have pagers our what?

Hi Brumeiser:

I'm only basing this on the DCL DVD... It looks like there is a lot for kids to do. I would suggest ordering the Free DVD from Disney. Ours arrived on Saturday... took about 1 week.

Mark

spaddy
05-18-2009, 03:16 PM

You do have a pager and they will page you if needed. I am not sure about 8 year old activites, but there are lots of activities at all ages.

We stayed in cat 12 and liked it a lot. I personally enjoy the dark room. One thing I have read here on the boards is people suggest bringing a clothes pin to keep the blinds completely closed.

DWGal210
05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Hi everyone -

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it. :) I am considering going on the Podcast Cruise Part II next year; it sounds like you had lots of fun activities, but was your time really scheduled or did you have down time to spend with family and friends? I would like to go but I wouldn't be as interested if each hour of the day was scheduled. I'm all for the cool events and fun times with everyone, but I would like some downtime too.

Thanks in advance!!

mla1977
05-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for this thread. I will have questions about the excursions later on, but I'll come back with them later.

Tissa
05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
How long does it take to get on and off the ship? My ds is autistic and doesn't handle waiting too long. Also could we get a table by ourselves for dining? It's easier on him and others if we are by ourselves.

L.E. Ott
05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi everyone -

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it. :) I am considering going on the Podcast Cruise Part II next year; it sounds like you had lots of fun activities, but was your time really scheduled or did you have down time to spend with family and friends? I would like to go but I wouldn't be as interested if each hour of the day was scheduled. I'm all for the cool events and fun times with everyone, but I would like some downtime too.

Thanks in advance!!

The time was managed quite well. Day one we were at Nassau and people had plenty of time to do the excursions, shopping, wandering around that newcomers to Nassau insist on doing. There were only a couple od DIS Scheduled things, so lots of flexibility. The on Castaway Cay Day, the was an afternoon party at one of the bar areas with characters there only for us. The rest of the day was wide open. On the Sea Day, we had the seminars, the Podcast, the evening party, as well as a few other get togethers. This day had more than the others, but then we weren't leaving the ship. Honestly, you'll have plenty of time for whatever you want to do. The wife and I even napped during the day a cople of times and we NEVER do that on a cruise or vacation.

L.E. Ott
05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
How long does it take to get on and off the ship? My ds is autistic and doesn't handle waiting too long. Also could we get a table by ourselves for dining? It's easier on him and others if we are by ourselves.

Time on and off the ship is minimal. Literally a couple of minutes, and no hassle. We waited longer standing on the stairs waiting for the to clear the ship for unloading than we did actually getting off the ship. So wait till you hear that unloading has started and then you'll literally walk right off as long as you have your keys and ID ready.

The table thing I'm not sure of. I think it's reasonable to assume that DCL will do ANYTHING to accomodate your special needs, though.

Renysmom
05-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi everyone -

Thanks in advance!!

They (Pod Squad) control every minute of your cruise, just like they do most of our minds LOL...

Kidding, the events whether hosted by DCL or the PodSquad are always come as you wish events, some will require advanced reservations but you are on vacation, you do what you want to do :)

Renysmom
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Tissa - Getting on the ship is basically a wait if you make it a wait.. The Port opens at about 10:30 but you can't get on the ship until 12:30 - 1:00 pm so I would suggest just making arrangements to arrive after 12:30 then it's just like checking into the airport for a flight except once checked in you can get right on the ship and go to lunch. Getting off it a breeze, we went from inside the ship to our car in about 15 minutes, that includes customs and getting our luggage.

You can let DCL know of you DS autism and the need to sit alone and they will work with you to make that happen.

DWGal210
05-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I appreciate it. Seriously considering this cruise....

jeanigor
05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi everyone -

Thanks in advance!!

I thought, by looking at my spreadsheet, that I had every minute of every day planned to a T. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that was not the case. I had plenty of time to roam around the ship or sit on deck and watch the water go by. I think a good thing to remember is that everything is voluntary. And unless you specifically make a reservation for it (spa, shore excursion, palo) stuff is free of charge. So you can come and go as you please. I didn't see any of the stage shows or meet any of the characters on the first cruise. Would I have liked to? Yes. But I made the choice not to and do things with other DISers and friends. I will see the shows next time. I couldn't say that about the people I was with.

There was a brief line to get through security (think like a checkpoint at an airport), followed by an even shorter line to turn in the cruise documents. The longest line was to get our photo taken for the Key Card, and that line was all of four minutes.

Total waiting in line time was under ten minutes. Then we roamed around the terminal, talked with other DISers, checked out the architecture. There were tables and places to sit and I believe Disney movies were playing.

As for dinner, I know a family that requested a table for four for themselves (there were four of them).

Tissa
05-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel better about booking a cruise. With special needs kids I tend to worry over everything but in the end we can't live our lives sitting at home.

adsrtw
05-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey Everybody!

Renysmom ~ awesome idea for a thread! Thanks for starting it. :thumbsup2

My question is more of a 'can I really do this?' shout out to the moms and dads out there (especially the single parents). Please share your experiences, both with and without your kiddos. I'm pretty adventerous when it comes to doing things with my kids by myself, but cruising seems like a huge mountain to tackle.

So, can I really do this?

mainegal
05-18-2009, 10:39 PM
What time are the evening shows?

Do diners at the early meal time feel rushed to get to the show?

SWB
05-18-2009, 11:05 PM
I'd like input on this one also. We're looking at Category 5, 6 or 7. Opinions about which one would be appreciated. I am leaning towards 6.
Thanks,
Steve

No one has any opinions or suggestions? Any particular rooms to ask for?

Thanks,
Steve

Code
05-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Think of it this way... You and your wonderful DW will have been tripleting for 18 months when the cruise starts, you will be ready for a grown-up vacation and the boys will be old enough that you should be feeling comfortable leaving them at home for a few days (with a sitter of course hehehe).. I think this would be a perfect break for you both, its not to long to be apart but long enough....

Yes I am an enabler :)

Unfortunately I highly doubt anyone we know would want to take 20 month old triplets for 1 night let alone more.. plus we would want the boys with us so we could tack on a short WDW stay to get some adorable pictures with the characters. Guess Disneyland will have to do!

DisneyKevin
05-18-2009, 11:49 PM
No one has any opinions or suggestions? Any particular rooms to ask for?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Here is a list of links that might help you.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2179446

Category 5 and 6 are exactly the same except for location. Category 5 staterooms are on a higher deck and more expensive because of that.

One of the links listed above shows the full deck plans of the Wonder (and Magic) allowing you to see where all staterooms are located..

Not knowing how many are in your party....you need to keep in mind that category 7 staterooms only accommodate 3 people.

Look the deck plans over and pick a location that looks good to you.

I am certain that in the next 19 months, you will find someone that loves and hates that particular stateroom.

Personally....I like the aft of the ship. The drink station is in the aft. The buffet is in the aft. The food stations are in the aft. The elevators are less busy than midship. Those are the things I like.

You feel more motion in the aft. You can often hear the engines in the aft. The kids pool is in the aft. The adult pool and the cove cafe are in the fore of the ship. These are the things I am not so crazy about regarding the aft of thge ship.

You will find folks that can do exactly what I just did for any part of the ship.

A lot of folks like midship because it is centrally located. Being centrally located means that the elevators are more crowded than fore or aft.

I realize that this is aton of info that isnt really helpful....but my point is that you should take a look at the deck plans and see what appeals to you and your party.

Hope this info helps.....:)

YellowMickeyPonchos
05-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Unfortunately I highly doubt anyone we know would want to take 20 month old triplets for 1 night let alone more.. plus we would want the boys with us so we could tack on a short WDW stay to get some adorable pictures with the characters. Guess Disneyland will have to do!

Let us know when you come to Disneyland! My girls will :hug:fawn all over :hug:your boys! :rolleyes1 :woohoo:

cm387
05-19-2009, 08:36 AM
does anybody know what the weather is typically like in December on the ship? I know in Orlando it can be hit or miss that time of year.

Joseph Carter
05-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Please could anybody explain the Fish Extender Phenomenom??:goodvibes

DVCsince02
05-19-2009, 09:24 AM

To quote Regina...
This actually was started on the first repositioning cruise that went through the Panama Canal.

We all planned on sharing little gifts, and one of them was this great three pocket Mickey hanging holder given out by a very nice DISer. Since we all hung them from our "fish" they became known as "fish extenders".

There's no set rule as to when you drop off your surprise. It was always fun to check it each time we opened our door.

jeanigor
05-19-2009, 09:35 AM

And be careful, they can take up large amounts of space in your luggage......but it is really fun and rewarding.:goodvibes

L.E. Ott
05-19-2009, 09:54 AM
does anybody know what the weather is typically like in December on the ship? I know in Orlando it can be hit or miss that time of year.

I haven't personally been there in December, but it seems to stay consistently mild most of the time.....ignoring the occasional hurricane stirring the carribbean up. My advice, do what my wife does, bookmark the weather for Nassau, on your phone, PDA, PC or whatever technological doodad you prefer. I love to ask my wife what the weather is at Castaway Cay at random times just to bring me a little closer to there in my imagination.

I can say in Feb in Orlando, we were starting the days in the 50's and getting to the low 70's. And on the 4 days, the ship really doesnt travel as much south as it does East, so that should give you a little idea.

I also just looked at your location. Upstate New York.......it will be a tropical heat wave to you. You'll be fine with summer type clothes.

Minnie Rose
05-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi all! I have another question. Can a specific stateroom number be requested? I f yes, where do we indicate it?

Thank you :)

Renysmom
05-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Yes you can request it and if it is still available DU will do all the can to secure the room... I like doing this so if my cabin request is not available then DU has an idea of where I want to be on the ship.

Place the request in the special comments area on the Request for Quote form

Minnie Rose
05-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Yes you can request it and if it is still available DU will do all the can to secure the room... I like doing this so if my cabin request is not available then DU has an idea of where I want to be on the ship.

Thank you Kelly! :)

SWB
05-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Great info Kevin about my Cat 5,6 or 7 question - Thanks!

Steve

SWB
05-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Here are a few more questions of what I'm sure will be many more before the cruise:

Are there dining tables for two?

Is it better to go ahead and book early (now) or wait and see if Disney will offer shipboard credits?

How does the DU shipboard credits work?

Thanks Y'all!
Steve

Renysmom
05-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Here are a few more questions of what I'm sure will be many more before the cruise:

Are there dining tables for two?

Is it better to go ahead and book early (now) or wait and see if Disney will offer shipboard credits?

How does the DU shipboard credits work?

Thanks Y'all!
Steve

There are a few tables for two, you can request one but there is no quarantee, besides you are already cruising with 300+ people, may as well eat with them as well.

It is always better to book as far out as possible.. Prices rise as the demand for a cruise rises, this cruise is getting group spacing so there is already a price adjustment there I believe.

I have never seen Disney offer SBC that are better than Dreams. Actually, I've never seen any travel agency offer better SBC than Dreams.

SBC are applied to your room as a plus on your room account, as you purchase and charge things (remember there is no cash used on the ship) to your room they are applied against the SBC first, once that is used up, then your credit card would be charged. They can be used for anything on the ship that has a price (drinks, excursions, server tips, stores). They can't be used against the dollar here, dollar there tips you may want to give to say a bartender or to the castmember who delivers room service.

Hope that helps

Lease
05-20-2009, 11:26 PM

Okay so this is a stretch, but what if we found a family of 2 or 3 also looking for a category 10 or 11 stateroom that puts one of our family of 5 in their stateroom? We'd have no intention of actually being roommates but it would bring us down to a party of 4 without raising the cost of someone else. We'd still have port charges/taxes/fees and the increased cost of having another person in that party, but would it work?

CDolacki2003
05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Is there anything more important then food? :rotfl:

Yeah Booze:rotfl:

georgemoe
05-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi all! I have another question. Can a specific stateroom number be requested? I f yes, where do we indicate it?

Thank you :)

And don't forget to use the stateroom reports.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomlist.cfm

PC 1.0 was our first cruise and we were extremely pleased with the deck 2 midship location we chose. Stateroom 2566.

Mish19
05-23-2009, 10:56 PM
This is more of an, "OMG how do I manage this" type of question. Between packing for a few nights before the cruise, the actual cruise and the fish extender extravaganza, how in the world do you not overpack?! I, like another cruiser on the first PCC loves her shoes, oh boy I'm sooo going to have to pay the extra baggage fee.
I know I'll have more question as this will be my first cruise ever, so I am so grateful this thread was started!

jeanigor
05-23-2009, 11:13 PM
This is more of an, "OMG how do I manage this" type of question. Between packing for a few nights before the cruise, the actual cruise and the fish extender extravaganza, how in the world do you not overpack?! I, like another cruiser on the first PCC loves her shoes, oh boy I'm sooo going to have to pay the extra baggage fee.
I know I'll have more question as this will be my first cruise ever, so I am so grateful this thread was started!

Take a deep breath. I know I packed a lot of clothes and used them all (except for two pair of shorts and one pair of lounge pants). In retrospect, I didn't need all that stuff. But, I wanted it. I made it work. I know that the next time around I will bring two pullmans instead of a pullman and a garment bag. I am also thinking about flying Southwest (assuming they still aren't charging for every piece of luggage). My flights were perfect time wise, but I paid $130 round trip for my checked baggage. That nearly double the cost of my tickets to fly ($142 round trip). And I shipped a box home (another $38)

Disneybridein2k3
05-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Okay so this is a stretch, but what if we found a family of 2 or 3 also looking for a category 10 or 11 stateroom that puts one of our family of 5 in their stateroom? We'd have no intention of actually being roommates but it would bring us down to a party of 4 without raising the cost of someone else. We'd still have port charges/taxes/fees and the increased cost of having another person in that party, but would it work?
Where would everyone sleep? I understand what you are doing, but the rooms aren't the same as hotels. The sofa isn't a pull-out. It's more of a flip-over. It is a single and the bed that pulls from the ceiling in some rooms is also a single.

cocowum
05-24-2009, 05:11 PM

I would suggest you fly SW. They fly out of LaGuardia and LI. :thumbsup2 There is plenty of storage space in the stateroom. I was able to fit my empty luggage under the bed no problem.
This is what I brought with me (plus a garment bag not pictured)...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/cocowum/helmet823.jpg

The best advice is don't overpack but if you must overpack (I fall into this group:teeth:) Fly SW and use a porter to handle the bags. :thumbsup2

froggy5657
05-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't know if this has already been addressed, but I suggest having everyone pack a carry on and not a checked bag. We had booked flights in the afternoon and flew (pun intended) through security. We ended up waiting at the airport for many hours. If we had packed carry ons we would have been able to get on an earlier flight standby. Personally, I would rather wait in a hotel room than at the airport. Hope this helps people.

tlcoke
05-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Is there any Laundry facilities on the ship to allow you to wash clothes to help with over packing?

DVCsince02
05-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Yes there are laundry rooms. You can purchase boxed soap for $1, the washer is $1, and the dryer is $1 for 50 minutes and may take 2 cycles. The machines are coin operated and a coin machine is available.

Disneybridein2k3
05-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Is there any Laundry facilities on the ship to allow you to wash clothes to help with over packing?
Sure is, although I don't know how much it will help with the over packing ;) There are coin operated self-service laundry rooms onboard. There are machines selling detergent and fabric softener as well or you can bring your own. There are change machines in each laundry room. The rooms can be quite warm and crowded at times and drying often takes more than one cycle.

You can also send you clothes out to be dry-cleaned or laundered for you if you don't want to spend your vacation doing laundry.

TSWJan78
05-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I found these new sheets in walmart today... they are laundry soap, fabric softner and dryer sheets all in one and no liquid... not sure how they work but the first thing I thought was "those would be great for a Disney Trip"

SWB
05-24-2009, 11:07 PM
SBC are applied to your room as a plus on your room account, as you purchase and charge things (remember there is no cash used on the ship) to your room they are applied against the SBC first, once that is used up, then your credit card would be charged. They can be used for anything on the ship that has a price (drinks, excursions, server tips, stores). They can't be used against the dollar here, dollar there tips you may want to give to say a bartender or to the castmember who delivers room service.

Hope that helps

It does help - thanks!

Just to make sure that I understand, the DU SBC is added to the room key/account once on board?

Steve

Renysmom
05-24-2009, 11:23 PM
It does help - thanks!

Just to make sure that I understand, the DU SBC is added to the room key/account once on board?

Steve

Yes when you get on the ship, in your stateroom there will be a statement with each of your SBC listed and the amount..

dpic
05-26-2009, 07:29 AM
We just signed up for our first cruise (we're mid-fifties)! Okay, here's a question--tipping. I understand there are kind of set amounts, but when do you pay them? Do you tip at Palo? Are there times you tip when service is rendered (I assume room service)? Can someone give a primer on tipping, please?

Thanks!

(BTW, see the two kids in the front seat below? They ain't going! :yay: :flower3::love:)

jeanigor
05-26-2009, 08:19 AM
We just signed up for our first cruise (we're mid-fifties)! Okay, here's a question--tipping. I understand there are kind of set amounts, but when do you pay them? Do you tip at Palo? Are there times you tip when service is rendered (I assume room service)? Can someone give a primer on tipping, please?

Thanks!

(BTW, see the two kids in the front seat below? They ain't going! :yay: :flower3::love:)

Hi and :welcome: to the cruise!

I paid my tips on the night before we disembarked. This was for the stateroom hostess, head waiter, server and assistant server. I am glad I did this, because I very pleased with our stateroom hostess and added a little extra for her. This was charged toward my on board account.

When we dined at Palo, we each got a bill to authorize the $15 upcharge for dining there along with any wine/liquor we drank. There was also a line for a tip. We added an additional tip for our server. (Same thing at brunch.) This was charged toward my on board account.

When you get a drink at a bar, there is a line for a tip. This was charged toward my on board account.

If you order room service, you tip on a cash basis. This was out of pocket.

Once we disembarked, there was a very nice gentleman to help with our luggage. We had a lot of luggage....
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/jeanigor/P1090340.jpg
(that's just mine..not including what I had draped on me.)
Tipped him with cash as well.

DVCsince02
05-26-2009, 08:25 AM
To piggy back on Todd's answer, you can pre-pay your tips to the stateroom host, server, asst. server, and dining manager. I believe the suggested amount is $48 per person in your room.

You and DW = 2 people x $48 = $96 total.

If you pre-pay your tips to these people, on your last night you will recieve tickets and envelopes you will hand to each person stating tips have been given.

Hope that helps.

jen3003
05-28-2009, 07:09 PM
I found these new sheets in walmart today... they are laundry soap, fabric softner and dryer sheets all in one and no liquid... not sure how they work but the first thing I thought was "those would be great for a Disney Trip"

They are made by Purex. I purchased them a few weeks ago and did try them. I have to say I thought they worked pretty well.
It will definitely be easier to pack seeing they won't take up any space.

wdwscout
05-28-2009, 08:32 PM

They are made by Purex. I purchased them a few weeks ago and did try them. I have to say I thought they worked pretty well.
It will definitely be easier to pack seeing they won't take up any space.

That's exactly the very first thing I thought when I heard about them too!
Glad to hear they work well. :thumbsup2

Mish19
05-28-2009, 10:52 PM
I would suggest you fly SW. They fly out of LaGuardia and LI. :thumbsup2 There is plenty of storage space in the stateroom. I was able to fit my empty luggage under the bed no problem.
This is what I brought with me (plus a garment bag not pictured)...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/cocowum/helmet823.jpg

The best advice is don't overpack but if you must overpack (I fall into this group:teeth:) Fly SW and use a porter to handle the bags. :thumbsup2

Now I realize you were the shoe-holic I mentioned in my first post! *Hi!* Thanks for the great advice! I am going to really try to behave and not pack like a crazy woman. Like the picture too, btw!

jessrose18
05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Didn't pay much attention to info about the first podcast cruise, but now seriously thinking about going on the next one! Just a couple of questions what kind of special events/and or things in general did the podcast cruise entail?? I heard about the Palo brunch (and heard no, not next time) and some gifts for your rooms, and privat bbq on castaway cay, anything else??? Also has anybody done the excursion on Nassau where they went to the beach at Atlantis / or has anyone had any luck getting off the boat and buying a dig pass for cheaper at the port?? Just starting my research thanks everyone!! Hope to see you on 2.0.

scarlett873
05-31-2009, 05:52 PM
I was one of those who did not pre-pay our tips before the cruise. Instead, we went down to the Guest Services desk on the last day. Our stateroom host had left a form and envelopes in our stateroom one night to help with the process one evening during turndown service. I filled out the form and took it to Guest Services. You can do whatever amount you would like...either the minimum amount or a little more if you prefer. They charged it to our cabin and printed out little tickets that I put into the envelopes and then we gave the envelopes to the appropriate people that evening. Easy as cake! :thumbsup2

scarlett873
05-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Didn't pay much attention to info about the first podcast cruise, but now seriously thinking about going on the next one! Just a couple of questions what kind of special events/and or things in general did the podcast cruise entail?? I heard about the Palo brunch (and heard no, not next time) and some gifts for your rooms, and privat bbq on castaway cay, anything else??? Also has anybody done the excursion on Nassau where they went to the beach at Atlantis / or has anyone had any luck getting off the boat and buying a dig pass for cheaper at the port?? Just starting my research thanks everyone!! Hope to see you on 2.0.The events that were hosted by the DIS Unplugged crew were the welcome aboard party, the podcast taping, the Disney Institute presentations with Mark and Lee, Palo Brunch, a party at Castaway Cay (not a private BBQ...it was at the Head's Up bar), and the farewell party on the last night. Did I miss anything? Not sure what the crew will have in store for us on the next one, but I can promise that it'll be pretty cool!

We got off of the ship in Nassau, but didn't make it into Nassau...we just walked through some buildings and then got back on board so I can't help you with those questions...

Hope to see you on the next one!

L.E. Ott
05-31-2009, 08:07 PM
The Ardastra Gardens tour in Nassau is well worth the time and price. Outside of the excursions, I wouldn't recommend spending much time in Nassau. The word "sewer" is a pretty good description of the city itsself.

wdwscout
05-31-2009, 08:50 PM
We just signed up for our first cruise (we're mid-fifties)! (BTW, see the two kids in the front seat below? They ain't going! :yay: :flower3::love:)

Glad to see a couple of other Boomers on board! I was beginning to feel like we were the only AARP card holders going! ;)

We're not bringing our kids either (unless they can pay their own way... which might be possible by then...they'll be 20 & 23)

Renysmom
06-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Glad to see a couple of other Boomers on board! I was beginning to feel like we were the only AARP card holders going! ;)

We're not bringing our kids either (unless they can pay their own way... which might be possible by then...they'll be 20 & 23)

We are also happy AARP carriers LOL so you won't be alone for sure...

halliesmommy01
06-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Didn't pay much attention to info about the first podcast cruise, but now seriously thinking about going on the next one! Just a couple of questions what kind of special events/and or things in general did the podcast cruise entail?? I heard about the Palo brunch (and heard no, not next time) and some gifts for your rooms, and privat bbq on castaway cay, anything else??? Also has anybody done the excursion on Nassau where they went to the beach at Atlantis / or has anyone had any luck getting off the boat and buying a dig pass for cheaper at the port?? Just starting my research thanks everyone!! Hope to see you on 2.0.

I did the Beach day at Atlantis excursion. It was very nice. They start out with a quick tour of the resort. Showing you where the aquariums are since they are included in your package. We ate lunch at one of the restaurants included in the package and it was pretty good. The beach was nice and not very crowded. That said I might not do this again. I think I would have enjoyed exploring the ship more. We had never cruised before and that the sea day everything was way more crowded.

Becky

jessrose18
06-01-2009, 10:15 AM
I know you don't need a passport to sail, but how about to get off the ship in the bahamas??

aaronmckie
06-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I know you don't need a passport to sail, but how about to get off the ship in the bahamas??

Actually, as of today you need a passport just to get on the ship. I used a birth certificate for 1.0, but will be getting/needing a passport for 2.0.

jeanigor
06-01-2009, 10:20 AM

According to the U.S. Department of State's website:
Regarding the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-"On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security. "

mainegal
06-01-2009, 12:01 PM
When leaving the ship in Nassau and Castaway Cay, do you carry your passport with you?

I am concerned how to keep "valuables" (money, credit cards, passport) safe and secure while I am off the beach and in the water.

:confused3

aaronmckie
06-01-2009, 03:23 PM
When leaving the ship in Nassau and Castaway Cay, do you carry your passport with you?

I am concerned how to keep "valuables" (money, credit cards, passport) safe and secure while I am off the beach and in the water.

You just need your Key to the World card (room key) and a photo id (drivers license will do) to get on and off the ship at Castaway Cay; I never got off at Nassau so I'm not sure if procedure is the same.
Also, on Castaway Cay everything can be charged to your KTTW card, so you don't need to worry about cash or CC.

tlcoke
06-01-2009, 03:56 PM

I just re-listened to one of the Cruise primers from the March Podcasts. John mentioned that they just carry a Color Copy of their Passport with them. I am getting both the Passport book & the passport card. I figured I would just carry the passport card off the ship. There are waterproof containers available that you can get for keeping your money and other items with you, when you get in the water.

jeanigor
06-01-2009, 04:12 PM
I just re-listened to one of the Cruise primers from the March Podcasts. John mentioned that they just carry a Color Copy of their Passport with them. I am getting both the Passport book & the passport card. I figured I would just carry the passport card off the ship. There are waterproof containers available that you can get for keeping your money and other items with you, when you get in the water.

I got both the passport book and card. You need the book to fly. The card will work with land and sea travels.

When leaving the town of Nassau going back to the ship, the 'border agent' (term to be taken loosely...much like the whole attitude in the Bahamas) looked at our ID, read our name aloud, and wished us safe journeys.

georgemoe
06-01-2009, 04:26 PM
It does help - thanks!

Steve

Yes when you get on the ship, in your stateroom there will be a statement with each of your SBC listed and the amount..

We had some some gift cards, etc; added to our SBA (ship board account) right after we had the buffet lunch in Parrot Cay. The ship board credits from DU did not get applied until after 6PM on embarkation day.

Tonya2426
06-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Also, on Castaway Cay everything can be charged to your KTTW card, so you don't need to worry about cash or CC.

I think you need cash for the post office on CC.

And I seem to remember someone scrambling for cash to pay for hairbraiding for their daughter - but maybe I am imagining this. :confused3

jeanigor
06-01-2009, 06:15 PM

And I seem to remember someone scrambling for cash to pay for hairbraiding for their daughter - but maybe I am imagining this. :confused3

And if you wanted to tip your excursion leaders. I forgot tip money and run (or skipped) back up to the room to get them something.

mainegal
06-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Where do you put your "valuables" (room key, small amount of cash) when you go in the water - either pool or ocean?

I have always been concerned about this. Do you wear it around your neck in the waterproof box? Hide it under your towel?

My dad used to hid his wallet and keys in his shoe when we were at the public pool or the Jersey shore. But that was thirty five years ago!

Mish19
06-01-2009, 07:36 PM
If you have Disney Visa reward dollars can those be applied as shipboard credit? Or could I use it to pay off my reservation with DU?

dpic
06-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Here's another question--will DU make our Palo ressies or are we on our own for that? Also, we'd like to have a couple's spa treatment--where do we get the info for that? Also, we're on the waiting list for the 1st dining. What are our chances for getting moved? My wife is a very early eater and is not exicted about waiting late.

Thanks!

Renysmom
06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Here's another question--will DU make our Palo ressies or are we on our own for that? Also, we'd like to have a couple's spa treatment--where do we get the info for that? Also, we're on the waiting list for the 1st dining. What are our chances for getting moved? My wife is a very early eater and is not exicted about waiting late.

Thanks!

Hi Dan - You will make your own Palo and excursion reservations. Once you have paid for the cruise and are I think its 45 days out (I could be wrong on that as I dont know how many days it is for 1st time cruisers) you will be able to sign into your reservation on DCL site and make those reservations.

It's hit or miss on getting late to early dining changed but the best part is you can eat early by the pool then eat again in the DR when you have late dining LOL

dpic
06-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi Dan - You will make your own Palo and excursion reservations. Once you have paid for the cruise and are I think its 45 days out (I could be wrong on that as I dont know how many days it is for 1st time cruisers) you will be able to sign into your reservation on DCL site and make those reservations.

It's hit or miss on getting late to early dining changed but the best part is you can eat early by the pool then eat again in the DR when you have late dining LOLThanks for the info about Palo. Also, I had thought about the eating park--I can do that! :lmao:http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink020.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink020.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink020.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink020.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

DVCsince02
06-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm sure Tracy will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe online ressies (Palo, excursions, nursery, etc.) can be made at the following:

75 days - 1st time cruisers
90 days - Castaway Club members (aka repeat cruisers)
105 days - Suites

georgemoe
06-01-2009, 09:45 PM
If you have Disney Visa reward dollars can those be applied as shipboard credit? Or could I use it to pay off my reservation with DU?

Yes reward dollars can be applied to your shipboard account. And I doubt they can be used for paying DU but not entirely positive.

BeamsofLight
06-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Okay ... 'nother question. :blush:

I know it was possible to put in requests for specific cabins in the 'special notes' section when I requested the quote. Or, rather, I know that now, but I didn't when I sent the quote request in, so I didn't put anything about cabin numbers on there. And I do have an idea of what cabin I might like now.

Is it too late to make such a request? Our deposit went through yesterday (:yay:). Is this a "You'll have to email Tracy" type of thing?

Renysmom
06-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Okay ... 'nother question. :blush:

I know it was possible to put in requests for specific cabins in the 'special notes' section when I requested the quote. Or, rather, I know that now, but I didn't when I sent the quote request in, so I didn't put anything about cabin numbers on there. And I do have an idea of what cabin I might like now.

Is it too late to make such a request? Our deposit went through yesterday (:yay:). Is this a "You'll have to email Tracy" type of thing?

Yes you need to email Tracy and let he know what you are looking for and she will do her best to get you as close to what you want as possible.

Disneybridein2k3
06-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Yes you need to email Tracy and let her know what you are looking for and she will do her best to get you as close to what you want as possible.
Tracy also likes wine so if you can include a little something, something with your request.... :smooth:

Kidding, kidding, kidding. Of course, if it is possible, Tracy makes magic happen pixiedust: However, if you are looking for the secret porthole rooms, they were booked while we were still on PCC 1.0 :guilty:

winotracy
06-04-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm working my way backwards in this thread trying to keep up.

Actually, as of today you need a passport just to get on the ship. I used a birth certificate for 1.0, but will be getting/needing a passport for 2.0.

This is not the case. You are not required to have a passport to cruise if you are doing a closed-loop cruise. This means you are leaving from and returning to the same US port. You do not need to have a passport to get off the ship in the Bahamas. However, if something goes wrong (like you left your wife in Norway), you would need to have a passport to fly home.

Cash for the post office, hairbraiding and I believe the little Bahamian shops by the hairbraiding people.

Yes, they can be applied as a shipboard credit. I recommend bringing the cards onboard and applying the credits there rather than in advance. Keep your card though! If you do not spend all the money you put on your account, it is refunded the same way that it was paid. If it was paid with your reward card and you have thrown it away, you won't have access to the reward dollars remaining.

winotracy
06-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Yes reward dollars can be applied to your shipboard account. And I doubt they can be used for paying DU but not entirely positive.

They can be used to pay your reservation as well through DU.

Disneybridein2k3
06-04-2009, 07:49 AM
This is not the case. You are not required to have a passport to cruise if you are doing a closed-loop cruise. This means you are leaving from and returning to the same US port. You do not need to have a passport to get off the ship in the Bahamas. However, if something goes wrong (like you left your wife in Norway), you would need to have a passport to fly home.

:rotfl::rotfl2::rotfl:
Tracy made a funny.

winotracy
06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
:rotfl::rotfl2::rotfl:
Tracy made a funny.

What?!? It's happened!! :lmao::lmao:

BeamsofLight
06-05-2009, 04:12 AM
Yes you need to email Tracy and let he know what you are looking for and she will do her best to get you as close to what you want as possible.

Tracy also likes wine so if you can include a little something, something with your request.... :smooth:

Kidding, kidding, kidding. Of course, if it is possible, Tracy makes magic happen pixiedust: However, if you are looking for the secret porthole rooms, they were booked while we were still on PCC 1.0 :guilty:

Thanks for the answers, guys! Everyone here is so helpful. :goodvibes We actually booked a cat 7 (navigator's veranda, because my husband's concerned about the openness of the regular ones - apparently he doesn't want to fall off ... I suppose I don't want him to, either ;)), but it hadn't occurred to me at the start to figure out where on the ship we'd want to be. I believe all the cat 7s are aft, but there are still decks to choose and whatnot.

I feel bad adding to Tracy's email load, though. I'll keep that in mind about the wine. :lmao:

winotracy
06-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the answers, guys! Everyone here is so helpful. :goodvibes We actually booked a cat 7 (navigator's veranda, because my husband's concerned about the openness of the regular ones - apparently he doesn't want to fall off ... I suppose I don't want him to, either ;)), but it hadn't occurred to me at the start to figure out where on the ship we'd want to be. I believe all the cat 7s are aft, but there are still decks to choose and whatnot.

I feel bad adding to Tracy's email load, though. I'll keep that in mind about the wine. :lmao:

Keep in mind that the rooms are filling fast and availability to choose room location will go down as the ship gets fuller. In other words, email Tracy ASAP about this.

BeamsofLight
06-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Keep in mind that the rooms are filling fast and availability to choose room location will go down as the ship gets fuller. In other words, email Tracy ASAP about this.

Will do! I guess if it's sanctioned by the woman herself, I can feel a little less guilty about the added work. ;)

winotracy
06-05-2009, 06:03 AM

Where would everyone sleep? I understand what you are doing, but the rooms aren't the same as hotels. The sofa isn't a pull-out. It's more of a flip-over. It is a single and the bed that pulls from the ceiling in some rooms is also a single.

You can do this but I would not recommend this. If your fifth is an infant, you would have a pack n play so there would be a place to sleep for everyone. A room that sleeps four will only sleep four (queen or two twins, twin sofa sleeper, twin bunk bed).

Let's say you did find someone and the four of you had one room and they had your child in their room. Everything is going fine until just before the final payment, they can't go anymore. Now you have to either upgrade to a category 4 or get another room and split up. The second room will cost you much more and availability will be much less. You may end up upgrading and getting a second room. You may find it to cost much more than it would have in the first place. Think this is far fetched? It happened to a client of mine last year!! It was a mess straightening it out!

Yes there are laundry rooms. You can purchase boxed soap for $1, the washer is $1, and the dryer is $1 for 50 minutes and may take 2 cycles. The machines are coin operated and a coin machine is available.

By the time we are on the ship, the new machines should be there. It will likely only take 2 cycles in the dryer. They are much, much better!!

The laundry rooms are on decks 2, 6 and 7.

DVCsince02
06-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Not a first time cruiser, but I need some planning assistance.

I am having a hard time deciding between 2 connecting cat 6 rooms on deck 6 or 2 connecting cat 9 rooms on deck 2. We currently have 2 on deck six but would save $800 if we moved to deck 2. Verandahs with kids make me nervous, but not a deal breaker.

HELP!

bigmoonmullen
06-05-2009, 09:40 AM

I am having a hard time deciding between 2 connecting cat 6 rooms on deck 6 or 2 connecting cat 9 rooms on deck 2. We currently have 2 on deck six but would save $800 if we moved to deck 2. Verandahs with kids make me nervous, but not a deal breaker.

HELP!

Hi DVCsince02:

We decided on cat 6 because we wanted the Verandah... Originally were considering Cat 4 but changed due to several reasons. $800 would cover quite a few days before and after the trip at WDW:thumbsup2... but I'm sure you will make the best decision for your family.

Mark

jeanigor
06-05-2009, 09:47 AM

HELP!

How much time do you and DH plan on using the veranda? Would there ever be a time when you'd leave any of your kids (since they are so young) unattended to play on the veranda?

DVCsince02
06-05-2009, 09:54 AM
The only time we would use it is after they are in bed, early in the am, or at nap time for the baby. It wouldn't go unused, but also not used a lot.

georgemoe
06-05-2009, 10:00 AM
The only time we would use it is after they are in bed, early in the am, or at nap time for the baby. It wouldn't go unused, but also not used a lot.

Jen. I would try the Cat9's and save yourself some $$$'s for the next trip. The kids won't know the difference and both you and Chris will get an idea of how much you miss it and if you would need one for subsequent cruises. The savings could be used to splurge on the kids outfits or goodies onboard. It will also give you peace of mind surrounding the kids and verandah. In my mind a win/win.

shellyminnie
06-05-2009, 10:06 AM

HELP!

I'm being purely selfish . . . but come down to Deck 2 with me Jen!!!

jeanigor
06-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Jen. I would try the Cat9's and save yourself some $$$'s for the next trip. The kids won't know the difference and both you and Chris will get an idea of how much you miss it and if you would need one for subsequent cruises. The savings could be used to splurge on the kids outfits or goodies onboard. It will also give you peace of mind surrounding the kids and verandah. In my mind a win/win.

Very nicely put George. Excellent reasoning. A+.

DVCsince02
06-05-2009, 11:27 AM

:woohoo:

MomlvsGoofy
06-05-2009, 05:22 PM
I need some information about verandah's. I booked 2 cat 6's with verandah's now my sister tells me not to get a verandah with the kids. She's telling me that they only come up as high as her waist and would be to dangerous for my DD9. I picked a verandah because I read on the boards that the doors are very hard to open and they have good locks. Also would only allow him there if an adult is with him. Trying to decide if I should just go with a large window instead. How do I go about changing this?

winotracy
06-05-2009, 06:27 PM
I need some information about verandah's. I booked 2 cat 6's with verandah's now my sister tells me not to get a verandah with the kids. She's telling me that they only come up as high as her waist and would be to dangerous for my DD9. I picked a verandah because I read on the boards that the doors are very hard to open and they have good locks. Also would only allow him there if an adult is with him. Trying to decide if I should just go with a large window instead. How do I go about changing this?

She must be very tall :lmao: It's completely up to you but I would take into consideration how many children (or adults for that matter) have fallen off a Disney verandah. The last time I checked that number was zero in the last 10 plus years they have been in business. Disney is not going to put you in a verandah that is that risky. The doors are very hard to open, at times even for an adult like me. They have a lock that is completely out of reach of children and most short people. The verandahs are probably about 42-48 inches off the floor.

If you still want to switch, email me. I won't be able to change it until Monday, but I can take care of it then.

Renysmom
06-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I hate those locks on the veranda doors... I can never open them

MomlvsGoofy
06-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks Tracy, thats what I thought I had read on the boards but she scared me. I will stick with the veranda. She has only been on Carnaval cruises so maybe they are lower on there's. One more question do they have plexiglass around the railing?

winotracy
06-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks Tracy, thats what I thought I had read on the boards but she scared me. I will stick with the veranda. She has only been on Carnaval cruises so maybe they are lower on there's. One more question do they have plexiglass around the railing?

The plexigass (on most of the verandahs) is in front of the railing (so you cannot climb on it). The top of the railing is a wood beam. No one on this cruise in a category 4, 5, or 6 have a metal verandah, but those are metal up until the wood beam (you obviously can't see through it).

soulmates
06-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Dress code question. My DP & I are seriously thinking about cruising next fall. The ONLY deal breaker for her, is the dress code. She's not worn a dress since her prom in 1989!! :scared1: She's very comfortable wearing a suite or even a tux. My question is this. How strict are they on the dress code situation? Many thanks! ;)

winotracy
06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Dress code question. My DP & I are seriously thinking about cruising next fall. The ONLY deal breaker for her, is the dress code. She's not worn a dress since her prom in 1989!! :scared1: She's very comfortable wearing a suite or even a tux. My question is this. How strict are they on the dress code situation? Many thanks! ;)

A dress is not required at all. You shouldn't wear shorts to the dining rooms but capris or pants are fine. Dress up night is just a suggested attire, not required.

soulmates
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
A dress is not required at all. You shouldn't wear shorts to the dining rooms but capris or pants are fine. Dress up night is just a suggested attire, not required.

Thank you SO very much. We just weren't sure how to handle that. You've just made our day! ;)

Hazzard101
06-08-2009, 10:16 PM
a couple of Questions here!!:confused:

1. Drinks, soda, tea, water-bottled etc. Do you buy a drink card or is it included.

2. Can you bring a cooler on board?

We are signed up and ready for our first cruise. whoo hoo we are sooo excited. Thanks for starting and maintaining this thread.:banana:

winotracy
06-09-2009, 05:34 AM
a couple of Questions here!!:confused:

1. Drinks, soda, tea, water-bottled etc. Do you buy a drink card or is it included.

2. Can you bring a cooler on board?

We are signed up and ready for our first cruise. whoo hoo we are sooo excited. Thanks for starting and maintaining this thread.:banana:

No need to buy a drink card (they don't sell one). Soda, tea, coffee, water (from the tap) are included at the 24 hour beverage station and in all dining locations. If you order soda from a bar/club, you will be charged. Alcoholic beverages and some specialty drinks (coffees from Cove Cafe, smoothies, etc.) are charged. You can get a frequent coffee club card. You will be offered water at the start of the cruise to purchase. I find the water on the ship fine to drink, but the bottled water is nice for excursions.

You can bring a soft sided cooler onboard, WITHOUT ICE however when you check in.

jeanigor
06-09-2009, 08:10 AM
I found it helpful to bring my own mug on board. I picked it up at Wal-Mart :hang head smiley: before the cruise for like $3. It was insulated and a good size. You have to use a DCL paper cup to fill it, but its better than returning to the drink station every 10 minutes for more soda/pop/cola.

tlcoke
06-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I found it helpful to bring my own mug on board. I picked it up at Wal-Mart :hang head smiley: before the cruise for like $3. It was insulated and a good size. You have to use a DCL paper cup to fill it, but its better than returning to the drink station every 10 minutes for more soda/pop/cola.

Thanks Todd, That was my question as whether we should bring a mug with us.

jeanigor
06-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks Todd, That was my question as whether we should bring a mug with us.

And here's a little secret......it wasn't always just Diet Coke in the mug. Sometimes there was Vitamin R added in.

scarlett873
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
And here's a little secret......it wasn't always just Diet Coke in the mug. Sometimes there was Vitamin R added in. :thumbsup2

georgemoe
06-09-2009, 09:36 AM

I was at Publix before the Poly Meet trying to find something like this but they had nothing I liked. These are on my list to get for PCC 2.0 . I must not be beverage light. :goodvibes

Hazzard101
06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all the info. Now for another question. Is there an ice-machine on the ship for our use? And did you say you could buy bottled water at the beginning of the cruise? Sorry for all the questions thanks again for the info and taking the time to do this thread. :thumbsup2

winotracy
06-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all the info. Now for another question. Is there an ice-machine on the ship for our use? And did you say you could buy bottled water at the beginning of the cruise? Sorry for all the questions thanks again for the info and taking the time to do this thread. :thumbsup2

There is ice at the drink station or you can ask your cabin steward to get you some (say to fill a collapsable cooler).

HsvTeacher
06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Could someone tell me about the beverage cooler that is in Corey's picture? Can we store our own drinks in it, or is it just for purchasing drinks/water that is already in there? We've never been on a cruise, so we're not sure how this works. Thanks!

http://www.wdwinfo.com/Photos/DCL_Stateroom-cat-5-6/images/DSC00537.jpg

jeanigor
06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Read Tracy's correction. :)

winotracy
06-09-2009, 04:17 PM
If you were to open that door, you'd find another door to open.And I think a third door beyond that. It leads to a very well insulated cooler. It is not run on electricity, but will keep things cool.

There are two doors. And it is chilled by electricity. It doesn't keep things cold but cool.

Hazzard101
06-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Does anyone have motion sickness problems? my DW gets motion sickness and has to use Dramimine or however you spell that. I have heard they stopped prescribing the patch what are the other alternatives? Dramimine always makes her sleepy. just thought I would put that out here no one may have the problem so I took a stab at it.
Thanks again:sick:

jeanigor
06-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Does anyone have motion sickness problems? my DW gets motion sickness and has to use Dramimine or however you spell that. I have heard they stopped prescribing the patch what are the other alternatives? Dramimine always makes her sleepy. just thought I would put that out here no one may have the problem so I took a stab at it.

I think that the two biggest motion sickness fighters on PCC 1.0 were Bonine and Ginger.

georgemoe
06-10-2009, 10:09 AM

I think that the two biggest motion sickness fighters on PCC 1.0 were Bonine and Ginger.

I would agree with Todd. Both LostInNorway and I were first time cruisers on PCC 1.0 and she used Bonine only. She took it at night before bed (thanks for the tip Brandie) and started taking it a couple days before the cruise. She is prone to motion sickness but never got ill on the cruise.

She still could not look out at the water and had to close the draps in the stateroom while we were there but no real issues.

Renysmom
06-10-2009, 11:58 AM
You could just have her drink alot and she wont know the difference ;)

We used Bonine last October, I also saw lots of folks with a small patch behind the ear so as of then they were available.

Hazzard101
06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for all the help and info. I am really excited about the cruise I am not sure how I am going to contain myself for 1.5 years.....It just ain't fair:scared:

Mish19
06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Those patches are called Transderm Scop and you can get a prescription for them pretty easily from your doctor. My family uses them when we go on a fishing boat in the summer. I think the only drawback to it is you get real thirsty, but it's good drink water!

I have a question about dining - which seating is better, early or late? I thought early was hard to get so I chose that. Now I think I would rather have the late seating, I won't be traveling with children if that makes a difference.

BriarRosie
06-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Those patches are called Transderm Scop and you can get a prescription for them pretty easily from your doctor. My family uses them when we go on a fishing boat in the summer. I think the only drawback to it is you get real thirsty, but it's good drink water!

I have a question about dining - which seating is better, early or late? I thought early was hard to get so I chose that. Now I think I would rather have the late seating, I won't be traveling with children if that makes a difference.

I don't have kids, and I've chosen late seating on every cruise I've ever taken, just because I'm less likely to be seated with families. I'm not opposed to it, but I'd rather be placed with other adults to chat with. :)

I chose late seating for the 2.0 cruise.

winotracy
06-11-2009, 05:45 AM

There is quite a mix of early and late diners this time. It really depends on you. I prefer late and probably wouldn't go to the dining room much if I had early on a cruise. But I have seen the shows and generally don't go. Dinner messes too much with my day if it's early.

Disneybridein2k3
06-11-2009, 07:04 AM
There is quite a mix of early and late diners this time. It really depends on you. I prefer late and probably wouldn't go to the dining room much if I had early on a cruise. But I have seen the shows and generally don't go. Dinner messes too much with my day if it's early.
What she's trying to say folks is, the cool kids go late ;)

kab407
06-11-2009, 07:15 AM

PCC 1.0 was the first cruise where I had late seating. I would never go back to early again. I did not feel rushed from either coming back from the pool for CC. My Mom and I would get dressed and stop for a cocktail before dinner.

jeanigor
06-11-2009, 07:16 AM

Even though PCC 1.0 was only my first cruise, I would totally agree with Tracy. At home we eat late (after 7:30 most nights...not good for the waistline, but I do what time allows), so that was a factor for me. I am not sure how I would have been able to do everything I wanted with early dining.
But it is ultimately up to you. I thought that 8:15 was going to be super late, but it seemed just right.

jessrose18
06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Do you have to pay out of pocket at the coffee shop, or any other of the quick service restaurants on the ship?? Also, anybody ever cruised in December, is it really warm enough to swim at cc and nassau, additionally is the pool on ship heated and is it salt water???

I actually have been on a 4d royal caribbean and the pool was freezing and salty, and we were charged to eat at the burger joint and for coffee at the shop etc.. thanks...

winotracy
06-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Do you have to pay out of pocket at the coffee shop, or any other of the quick service restaurants on the ship?? Also, anybody ever cruised in December, is it really warm enough to swim at cc and nassau, additionally is the pool on ship heated and is it salt water???

I actually have been on a 4d royal caribbean and the pool was freezing and salty, and we were charged to eat at the burger joint and for coffee at the shop etc.. thanks...

You have to pay out of pocket (charged to your room) at Cove Cafe for coffee beverages. You also have to pay for prepackaged snacks.

I have cruised in December and this varies. If the weather is good, it is comfortable swimming at CC. When we were there it was windy and cool, so we didn't feel like swimming but the water wasn't bad.

The water on the ship is supposedly heated and is generally low to mid 80s F. It is freshwater not salt water.

jeanigor
06-11-2009, 11:15 AM
December seems like a perfect time to run the 5K on the island.....

corky441
06-11-2009, 12:52 PM

We are also happy AARP carriers LOL so you won't be alone for sure...

Just booked the cruise today for my self & DH. We're AARPers too. Can't wait to meet you all :flower3:

maiziezoe
06-11-2009, 02:09 PM

My 2 year old and I have horrible motion sickness. She can't get into the car for more then 30 minutes without getting sick and I can't even play video games.

We both took Bonine every night before bed. We started taking it 3 days before our trip. We both did fine and never had a problem.

I will say that when I walked on deck, I tried to walk the same way the ship was moving... even if it meant a long walk. LOL

aaronmckie
06-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I will say that when I walked on deck, I tried to walk the same way the ship was moving... even if it meant a long walk. LOL

Ooooh, that explains it, then. I thought you were just drunk :crazy:

Has Shanan seen your new avatar? She'll LOVE it :)

georgemoe
06-11-2009, 03:13 PM
PCC 1.0 was the first cruise where I had late seating. I would never go back to early again. I did not feel rushed from either coming back from the pool for CC. My Mom and I would get dressed and stop for a cocktail before dinner.

And joined by others. :goodvibes

Becx N Gav
06-11-2009, 05:49 PM

Brenda Song aka London Tipton will tell you all about the de-salination unit they use for the water on one of the TV channels :rotfl:

Mish19
06-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Ok guys thanks for the advice! I gotta be "one of the cool kids" and have asked to be switched to late dining. It pretty much makes sense now that I think about it :)

corky441
06-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I've been looking at the pictures from PCC 1.0 and notice how the stateroom doors are covered in all types of magnets.

Could you fill in a newbie about this :confused:

I've seen and now understand what a fish extender is - so I'lm getting there. It's a good thing it's over a year away - It'll take me that long to learn everything :teacher:

L.E. Ott
06-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I've been looking at the pictures from PCC 1.0 and notice how the stateroom doors are covered in all types of magnets.

I've seen and now understand what a fish extender is - so I'lm getting there. It's a good thing it's over a year away - It'll take me that long to learn everything :teacher:

I'll answer that for you. Don't ask about the magnets. It's a sickness. I told my wife, "We will not be Magnet People." Now my refridgerator is hidden behind a giant magnetic mass of tackyness.........

Seriously, I recommend hopping over to the Cruise Line forum for a complete primer on the magnet madness.

Renysmom
06-13-2009, 06:45 AM

Decorating your stateroom is just another thing people from this DIS do. It announces who is staying in that stateroom and is just fun, plus it helps you find your door when you are walking the long halls and they all look the same ;)

Here is a link to an entire thread (http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2147014) on just this subject, where you can see pictures, save graphics, etc. and just get general help.

I am actually printing some today for my October cruise and have started designing some for nxt Dec already :)

Launchpad11B
06-13-2009, 08:33 AM
I'll answer that for you. Don't ask about the magnets. It's a sickness. I told my wife, "We will not be Magnet People." Now my refridgerator is hidden behind a giant magnetic mass of tackyness.........

Seriously, I recommend hopping over to the Cruise Line forum for a complete primer on the magnet madness.

:lmao::lmao: Resistance is futile Stephan. You WILL have magnets, and fish extenders, and DIS shirts, and DIS lanyards, and DIS buttons, and DIS pins, and lots of DIS friends! It's better if you just accept it now! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Becx N Gav
06-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Decorating your stateroom is just another thing people from this DIS do. It announces who is staying in that stateroom and is just fun, plus it helps you find your door when you are walking the long halls and they all look the same ;)

Here is a link to an entire thread (http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2147014) on just this subject, where you can see pictures, save graphics, etc. and just get general help.

I am actually printing some today for my October cruise and have started designing some for nxt Dec already :)

Maybe it helps some, but I walked straight past the room on a few occasions :rotfl: I think it was because we were approaching from the opposite direction than I was used to and I was looking at the wrong side ;) DH soon stopped me tho :hug:

OKW Lover
06-14-2009, 08:27 AM

My wife is prone to motion sickness and habitually takes medication before we fly or cruise. But this time she actually forgot to take anything several days on board the ship and never had a problem.

OKW Lover
06-14-2009, 08:30 AM

I feel a new group even coming on...pre-dinner cocktails. :drinking1:sail::stir::dancer:

Disneybridein2k3
06-14-2009, 08:36 AM
I feel a new group even coming on...pre-dinner cocktails. :drinking1:sail::stir::dancer:
This wasn't new for my family - it was how we got through 2 hour dinner with a teenager and a 3 year old :eek:
But if we had more people around us drinking too, then we wouldn't feel like we needed to attend meetings later ;)

corky441
06-15-2009, 01:38 PM

Thank you both so much - I'm going to check out the cruise forum ( forgot there was one :sad2: - I'm lucky to remember my name some days ) and that link too.

since this cruise is going to be just before Christmas - I would think the ship will be festive - guess I'll have to come up with a holiday theme for our door to keep in the spirit of the season :goodvibes

jeanigor
06-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you both so much - I'm going to check out the cruise forum ( forgot there was one :sad2: - I'm lucky to remember my name some days ) and that link too.

since this cruise is going to be just before Christmas - I would think the ship will be festive - guess I'll have to come up with a holiday theme for our door to keep in the spirit of the season :goodvibes

I keep forgetting this.....hmmm :scratchin gonna have to plan something....

winotracy
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM

This is in part why this date was chosen. Yes, the ship, terminal and Castaway Cay will be decorated for the holidays.

MomlvsGoofy
06-16-2009, 08:48 PM
This is in part why this date was chosen. Yes, the ship, terminal and Castaway Cay will be decorated for the holidays.

The holiday is why I was so happy to be going on this cruise! I have never been to Disney at Christmastime and really wanted to see all the decorations. Now I get to see the decorations on CC and the ship! :cool1:

Renysmom
06-16-2009, 08:50 PM
The holiday is why I was so happy to be going on this cruise! I have never been to Disney at Christmastime and really wanted to see all the decorations. Now I get to see the decorations on CC and the ship! :cool1:

Make sure you plan for a day just to resort hop either before or after the cruise... It is so beautiful and really makes you believe in the holiday magic even more..

Renysmom
06-16-2009, 08:51 PM

They make battery operated Christmas lights, they would look lovely around the door ;)...

winotracy
06-16-2009, 09:11 PM
They make battery operated Christmas lights, they would look lovely around the door ;)...

Lights - battery or electric - are not permitted on the ship. Sorry.

momto2inKC
06-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Make sure you plan for a day just to resort hop either before or after the cruise... It is so beautiful and really makes you believe in the holiday magic even more..

I agree! We spent an afternoon checking out the decorations at the hotels on the monorail loop. They were done up so pretty!

jeanigor
06-17-2009, 08:06 AM

I'm thinking this is what I will be doing on Saturday before the Unofficial Pre-PodCast Cruise 2.0 Meet (tentatively scheduled for somewhere on the Boardwalk)

Hmmmm....

Lights - battery or electric - are not permitted on the ship. Sorry.

Drat. Well I have a few months to get creative. How does DCL feel about non-harmful luminescent chemical reactions? (There is no mad scientist smiley?)

Yvet
06-17-2009, 08:28 AM
(There is no mad scientist smiley?)

I could only find one.....
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/218_science.gif

But this looks also great:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/Mad_scientist.svg/180px-Mad_scientist.svg.png

Or how about this creepy one.....
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/92/276470832_6a9ad37f75.jpg

jeanigor
06-17-2009, 08:41 AM
I could only find one.....
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/218_science.gif

Something tells me that if lights are not allowed, DCL won't let me bring my Tesla coils either. Durn it.

But this looks also great:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/Mad_scientist.svg/180px-Mad_scientist.svg.png

I could see this as me.:goodvibes

Do you think I would go anywhere with hair looking like that? Je pense que ne jamais.

Becx N Gav
06-17-2009, 08:45 AM

A guy I work with looks like this :scared1:

krissy2803
06-18-2009, 03:02 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/92/276470832_6a9ad37f75.jpg[/QUOTE]

:rotfl: I love that show! :rotfl:

brookelizabeth
07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I have a question...we aren't booked YET, but going to put in our deposit either today or tomorrow! :yay:

Is Nescafe the standard coffee on board? :scared: And do I understand correctly that there is a coffee bar of some sort - is it any good? And there is an extra charge for that, correct?

winotracy
07-01-2009, 03:50 PM
I have a question...we aren't booked YET, but going to put in our deposit either today or tomorrow! :yay:

Is Nescafe the standard coffee on board? :scared: And do I understand correctly that there is a coffee bar of some sort - is it any good? And there is an extra charge for that, correct?

Yes, not a good judge (I don't drink coffee regularly), yes.

maiziezoe
07-01-2009, 04:15 PM

The Cove Cafe is great!! We visited at least twice a day for a cold coffee beverage!!

brookelizabeth
07-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Yes, not a good judge (I don't drink coffee regularly), yes.

The Cove Cafe is great!! We visited at least twice a day for a cold coffee beverage!!

Thank you to you both! I am a big coffee drinker and will suck down the swill if necessary, but am VERY glad to hear they have good coffee on board. I'm looking forward to the Cove Cafe! :goodvibes

GraceLuvsWDW
07-02-2009, 04:42 PM

Ahhh Bummer!

I wanted to be one of the cool kids and I requested early. :) But I do have a 6yo (will be 7 on the trip) but I'm hoping she'll LOVE the kids club and I might be eating as an adult. ;)

winotracy
07-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Ahhh Bummer!

I wanted to be one of the cool kids and I requested early. :) But I do have a 6yo (will be 7 on the trip) but I'm hoping she'll LOVE the kids club and I might be eating as an adult. ;)

There are MANY cruisers going for early dining. There is no reason for anyone to change their dining time because they "think" that everyone else is on late. (I'm only saying this because last time people talked about this I was flooded with requests to change dining times).

jeanigor
07-02-2009, 04:49 PM
There are MANY cruisers going for early dining. There is no reason for anyone to change their dining time because they "think" that everyone else is on late. (I'm only saying this because last time people talked about this I was flooded with requests to change dining times).

I had second dining on PCC 1.0....I enjoyed it, but always felt rushed to get to the evening activities. Might not have helped that it seemed our table was always one of the last served.

GraceLuvsWDW
07-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Well I selected early because that's at 6:30pm right? And even though we're one hour ahead here so it might feel like we're eating lunch :lmao: I'd still like to get my dd off to the kids club after dinner (praying she'll love it and have lots of little friends in there) and I'll get to see the late show without worrying about picking her up to eat, etc. after the show. That's just my thinking, someone let me know if it's flawed! So does the early dinner also last about 1.5 hours? That would put her at the kids club around 8pm and does the show start at 8:30pm? And how long does the show last?

winotracy
07-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Well I selected early because that's at 6:30pm right? And even though we're one hour ahead here so it might feel like we're eating lunch :lmao: I'd still like to get my dd off to the kids club after dinner (praying she'll love it and have lots of little friends in there) and I'll get to see the late show without worrying about picking her up to eat, etc. after the show. That's just my thinking, someone let me know if it's flawed! So does the early dinner also last about 1.5 hours? That would put her at the kids club around 8pm and does the show start at 8:30pm? And how long does the show last?

Early dinner is at 5:45 pm. It can take up to two hours (sometimes more if you have a large table or if you eat slow or talk a lot :) ). The late show starts around 8:00 to 8:30 depending and lasts just under an hour.

GraceLuvsWDW
07-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Early dinner is at 5:45 pm. It can take up to two hours (sometimes more if you have a large table or if you eat slow or talk a lot :) ). The late show starts around 8:00 to 8:30 depending and lasts just under an hour.

So the late diners, do they usually skip the show? I've read everyone says they choose late so they don't have to rush back to the ship on port days, but if you have late dinner you only have the option of seeing the early show right? This is my first cruise so I REALLY want to see the shows!

Also, if you have early dinner then go see the show then perhaps do some other activities (:drinking1 ) can you still get late night food? Or does that cost extra?

Thanks!

winotracy
07-02-2009, 06:07 PM
So the late diners, do they usually skip the show? I've read everyone says they choose late so they don't have to rush back to the ship on port days, but if you have late dinner you only have the option of seeing the early show right? This is my first cruise so I REALLY want to see the shows!

Also, if you have early dinner then go see the show then perhaps do some other activities (:drinking1 ) can you still get late night food? Or does that cost extra?

Thanks!

The people who have late dinner have the show before dinner. The shows start between 6 and 6:30. That's later than dinner for early and you don't need to be dressed for the show like you would for dinner.

There are a number of places you can get food after the show and it doesn't cost extra.

HoopyMan
07-16-2009, 05:23 PM

"If I don't get along with the new people"... I certainly hope you were asking for your child under the age of 18!!!

mainegal
07-16-2009, 09:58 PM
"If I don't get along with the new people"... I certainly hope you were asking for your child under the age of 18!!!

HoopyMan, you have got a great attitude! :thumbsup2

I'd be happy to share a table with you.

HoopyMan
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks Mainegal. :-)

I think all of our mutual love for Disney will help us all get along just fine. Just think of all those times that we share with our non-Disney friends and their eyes roll back in their heads and we think, "Why can't they just understand?". Here you won't have those worries. I am so excited... I hope 17 months can just fly by.

jeanigor
07-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks Mainegal. :-)

I think all of our mutual love for Disney will help us all get along just fine. Just think of all those times that we share with our non-Disney friends and their eyes roll back in their heads and we think, "Why can't they just understand?". Here you won't have those worries. I am so excited... I hope 17 months can just fly by.

It will be here sooner than you expect!

Cherinva
08-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Ok, I now have a couple of questions...let me set up the background. We are going down a couple of days before the cruise. We will be using ME and I know they will take our luggage to the resort where we will stay. Now, I've also read that for the cruise, our luggage will be picked up from our resort the night before and taken to the ship. How does all that work? (Will I be informed of where to take my luggage, or is it picked up from the room..as we plan on being at the MK for the entire day before the cruise) Also, on the transfers, I am paying for this, does this mean that we will be taken from our resort to the Port, and from the Port back to the airport? Do I have a good understanding on this? Just want to make sure. We are newbees on cruising, so any help will be appreciated.

winotracy
08-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Ok, I now have a couple of questions...let me set up the background. We are going down a couple of days before the cruise. We will be using ME and I know they will take our luggage to the resort where we will stay. Now, I've also read that for the cruise, our luggage will be picked up from our resort the night before and taken to the ship. How does all that work? (Will I be informed of where to take my luggage, or is it picked up from the room..as we plan on being at the MK for the entire day before the cruise) Also, on the transfers, I am paying for this, does this mean that we will be taken from our resort to the Port, and from the Port back to the airport? Do I have a good understanding on this? Just want to make sure. We are newbees on cruising, so any help will be appreciated.

First of all your luggage is not picked up for the cruise the night before. It is picked up the day of. It is picked up sometime in the morning (you would receive notice the night prior as to the exact time).

As far as transfers work, they are roundtrip from the airport to the port. If you want to come from the resort to the port, port to airport, you need to let me know and there is an extra charge ($1 per person).

Finally, transfers for 2010 will be different. If you book your room with DCL (no discounted prices), you will be picked up at the resort you are at - any resort, even a value resort (this is a big change from 2009 and prior). If you booked your room independently, DCL will let you know which resort you will be picked up at. I will check to see about luggage, but my guess is that you will have to take it with you to the resort they pick you up from.

Cherinva
08-14-2009, 07:44 AM
First of all your luggage is not picked up for the cruise the night before. It is picked up the day of. It is picked up sometime in the morning (you would receive notice the night prior as to the exact time).

As far as transfers work, they are roundtrip from the airport to the port. If you want to come from the resort to the port, port to airport, you need to let me know and there is an extra charge ($1 per person).

Finally, transfers for 2010 will be different. If you book your room with DCL (no discounted prices), you will be picked up at the resort you are at - any resort, even a value resort (this is a big change from 2009 and prior). If you booked your room independently, DCL will let you know which resort you will be picked up at. I will check to see about luggage, but my guess is that you will have to take it with you to the resort they pick you up from.

Thanks Tracy, I'm glad I asked, obviously the information I read was totally wrong. When the time comes for me to book our Land Portion, I will contact you on what we will need.

Cherinva
08-16-2009, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=winotracy;33149081]First of all your luggage is not picked up for the cruise the night before. It is picked up the day of. It is picked up sometime in the morning (you would receive notice the night prior as to the exact time).

I found where I read that......it's on a thread for first time cruisers, under FAQ

ab*cdn*mouse
08-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks to the DIS crew and boarders this is a great place to get answers to rookie cruisers :confused: questions. We have never been on a cruise but are going on the Wonder in Jan 2010 and the PCC 2.0 and we where wondering:

Wonder is in dry dock in Sept/Oct 2009 - what are some of the refurbs and enhancements - tough to find any details on the web (especially DIS sites)?

As it is very important to be health ahead of the cruise and during -do the cruise veterans have any tips. We are planning to be at at DIS resort before the cruises for a couple of days to get settled in as part of the plan.

:surfweb:

Cherinva
08-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks to the DIS crew and boarders this is a great place to get answers to rookie cruisers :confused: questions. We have never been on a cruise but are going on the Wonder in Jan 2010 and the PCC 2.0 and we where wondering:

Wonder is in dry dock in Sept/Oct 2009 - what are some of the refurbs and enhancements - tough to find any details on the web (especially DIS sites)?

As it is very important to be health ahead of the cruise and during -do the cruise veterans have any tips. We are planning to be at at DIS resort before the cruises for a couple of days to get settled in as part of the plan.

Do you know where the Wonder is going to Dry Dock? The Magic was in Dry Dock in Norfolk VA last year....I drove over to see it...it would be great if the Wonder was coming here also.

winotracy
08-16-2009, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=winotracy;33149081]First of all your luggage is not picked up for the cruise the night before. It is picked up the day of. It is picked up sometime in the morning (you would receive notice the night prior as to the exact time).

I found where I read that......it's on a thread for first time cruisers, under FAQ

On the cruise your luggage is picked up the night before you get off the ship but your question was about at the resort before the cruise.

I haven't seen anything official about the refurbs and enhancements. We assume the laundry will be upgraded and the TVs as well since that happened on the Magic last time. I have heard some other cool things but I don't have a second source to confirm them so I don't feel I should post what I know publicly.

Do you know where the Wonder is going to Dry Dock? The Magic was in Dry Dock in Norfolk VA last year....I drove over to see it...it would be great if the Wonder was coming here also.

This is one of the things I heard. Again, don't have a second source to verify this but I have heard that dry dock will not be in Norfolk this year. It will be somewhere that none of us can drive to see.

Cherinva
08-16-2009, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=Cherinva;33181014]

On the cruise your luggage is picked up the night before you get off the ship but your question was about at the resort before the cruise.

Ok, thanks for the clarifidation.

I haven't seen anything official about the refurbs and enhancements. We assume the laundry will be upgraded and the TVs as well since that happened on the Magic last time. I have heard some other cool things but I don't have a second source to confirm them so I don't feel I should post what I know publicly.

This is one of the things I heard. Again, don't have a second source to verify this but I have heard that dry dock will not be in Norfolk this year. It will be somewhere that none of us can drive to see.

Ah, that's too bad.

jeanigor
08-17-2009, 08:57 AM

Tease!!!

Cherinva
08-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi all, I'm thinking seriously about staying at the Swan Dolphin before the cruise...does Magical Express go there from the airport? Also, are we able to get the same perks as we do when staying at other WDW resorts? (EMH, Dining Plan....) I know it early, but just scouting for some information so when the time comes to book the land part, I'll know what I want. Thanks in advance.

winotracy
08-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Tease!!!

:)

winotracy
08-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi all, I'm thinking seriously about staying at the Swan Dolphin before the cruise...does Magical Express go there from the airport? Also, are we able to get the same perks as we do when staying at other WDW resorts? (EMH, Dining Plan....) I know it early, but just scouting for some information so when the time comes to book the land part, I'll know what I want. Thanks in advance.

Magical Express does not take you to the Swan/Dolphin. You do get the Extra Magic Hours but cannot add the Dining Plan.

Cherinva
08-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Magical Express does not take you to the Swan/Dolphin. You do get the Extra Magic Hours but cannot add the Dining Plan.

Hmmm, that's not what I wanted to hear. Ok, that makes my decision. Thanks Tracy.

jeanigor
08-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Hmmm, that's not what I wanted to hear. Ok, that makes my decision. Thanks Tracy.

Originally that's what I thought, but had a GREAT deal and time at the Dolphin.

mainegal
08-17-2009, 12:59 PM
The cruise is over a year away...

IF Dreams gets a good group rate for Swan / Dolphin, maybe people could meet up at the airport and share transpotation? I think the special rate was for three days before and after the cruise.

Here's another thought - if I came earlier than three days before the cruise, could I check in to a Disney hotel and use Magical Express, then go to Swan Dolphin before the cruise? Would I be correct to assume that I would have to move my luggage myself?

winotracy
08-17-2009, 01:19 PM
The cruise is over a year away...

IF Dreams gets a good group rate for Swan / Dolphin, maybe people could meet up at the airport and share transpotation? I think the special rate was for three days before and after the cruise.

Here's another thought - if I came earlier than three days before the cruise, could I check in to a Disney hotel and use Magical Express, then go to Swan Dolphin before the cruise? Would I be correct to assume that I would have to move my luggage myself?

The special rate last year was for more than 3 days both before and after the cruise. I believe it was 5 before and 4-5 after. At this point though we don't know if there will be an offer at the Dolphin this time.

If you switch from a Disney resort to the Swan or DOlphin, you would have to move your luggage yourself.

Cherinva
08-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally that's what I thought, but had a GREAT deal and time at the Dolphin.

I really wanted to stay there, but more important to me is having transporation from the airport, plus the dining plan. I've always stayed at the All Stars before, and am considering the Pop Century. However, I am looking into staying on the monorail route..possibly the Contemporary or the Poly. It's only 2 days and I'm sure it will be worth it.

Cherinva
08-17-2009, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=mainegal;33195453]The cruise is over a year away...

IF Dreams gets a good group rate for Swan / Dolphin, maybe people could meet up at the airport and share transpotation?

This would only work if we all arrived the same day and around the same time...how likely is that to happen? If it could be worked out, that would be great and I would consider it.

mainegal
08-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Tracy, you are so totally on the ball! Thanks for the answer.

The cruise is over a year away. I don't really expect to know about hotel specials yet. Or to make transportation plans. I guess the time to do that would be four months out or so?

Too soon, maybe, for fish extenders and stateroom door decorations.

It sure is fun to dream about it all, though!

Cherinva
08-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Good Morning Everyone. The grils and I made our decision last night....we are going to stay at the Comtemporary. It will be close to where we want to be without using the bus system...except for going over to Boardwalk on Friday. I think we will book the room after the holidays, but now I'm wondering, if we should hold out on booking the rest of the package until later to see if free dining will be offered. Do we take a chance on losing the room that way? Disney told me that I can book room only and add the package later, but in doing that we would have to cancel the room and rebook the entire package. Not sure I want to risk it.

Cherinva
08-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Good Morning Everyone. The grils and I made our decision last night....we are going to stay at the Comtemporary. It will be close to where we want to be without using the bus system...except for going over to Boardwalk on Friday. I think we will book the room after the holidays, but now I'm wondering, if we should hold out on booking the rest of the package until later to see if free dining will be offered. Do we take a chance on losing the room that way? Disney told me that I can book room only and add the package later, but in doing that we would have to cancel the room and rebook the entire package. Not sure I want to risk it.

I found my answer and this won't apply for me...you have to stay at least 3 nights for free dining.

Cherinva
08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi everyone. I have a question about the airline (online) check in post cruise. We will be flying out on Southwest the same day the ship gets back. How do I do the online check in from sea? Is that something guest services can do, since I am suppose to do this 24 hours in advance?

winotracy
08-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi everyone. I have a question about the airline (online) check in post cruise. We will be flying out on Southwest the same day the ship gets back. How do I do the online check in from sea? Is that something guest services can do, since I am suppose to do this 24 hours in advance?

There are computers in the Internet Cafe that you can use for 75 cents a minute. Guest Services will not do this for you.

Cherinva
08-19-2009, 04:05 PM
There are computers in the Internet Cafe that you can use for 75 cents a minute. Guest Services will not do this for you.

Works for me...thanks again Tracy. You're awesome.

lovethecastle
09-27-2009, 06:14 PM
We have booked the cruise & are very exited. We haven't cruised in over 20
yrs. In fact the last time my husband & I cruised it was a land/sea package on the big red boat for our honeymoon.
Thank you for this thread. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.
the 1st one is can I bring food on board the ship? (My son drinks ensure for
nutritional support)
Is the price for all the food included in the price of the cruise?
What is all the way at the end of deck 7? It looks like an open area that passengers can access?
Thanks in Advance

winotracy
09-27-2009, 06:24 PM
We have booked the cruise & are very exited. We haven't cruised in over 20
yrs. In fact the last time my husband & I cruised it was a land/sea package on the big red boat for our honeymoon.
Thank you for this thread. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.
the 1st one is can I bring food on board the ship? (My son drinks ensure for
nutritional support)
Is the price for all the food included in the price of the cruise?
What is all the way at the end of deck 7? It looks like an open area that passengers can access?
Thanks in Advance

You can bring packaged food onboard. Ensure would be ok, homemade cookies would not.

Most of the food is included. Exceptions would be packaged snacks sold outside of the theaters. There is a service charge to go to Palo, but the food is included.

There is a public deck in the back of deck 7. It is open from early morning until usually around 11 pm. There are some kids club events and fitness classes held out there.

lindsey clare
09-27-2009, 10:39 PM
just wanted to say thanks for all the advice given in this thread. it's really nice how you guys help each other out!

and now for my very first question, just out of curiosity...

how much is a cocktail on the cruise?

winotracy
09-28-2009, 04:48 AM
just wanted to say thanks for all the advice given in this thread. it's really nice how you guys help each other out!

Depends on what you are drinking. I didn't find them to be that out of line. A martini is around $6, drink of the day in a regular glass $5. Souvenir glasses are more obviously. I don't drink beer so I can't answer that.

jeanigor
09-28-2009, 08:08 AM

As Tracy said, I thought they were quite reasonable. I had actually budgeted more for drinks. Which in the long run, meant more drinks...more dancing...more drink tickets???:rotfl::rotfl:

lovethecastle
09-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Thank you for answering my questions!:goodvibes

I have another-Do cellphones work on board? I will have a youngish teen with me who loves his independance(too much) & I like to be able to call his cell when I want to know where he is. I was reading that with the kids clubs the parents get a pager but with the teens they do not get a pager.
Thanks in advance

Cherinva
09-28-2009, 02:42 PM

I have another-Do cellphones work on board? I will have a youngish teen with me who loves his independance(too much) & I like to be able to call his cell when I want to know where he is. I was reading that with the kids clubs the parents get a pager but with the teens they do not get a pager.
Thanks in advance

Double post...sorry

Cherinva
09-28-2009, 02:43 PM

Thanks in advance

As I understand it, cell phones will work, but International Rates will apply...if I'm wrong, someone please correct me. What we are going to do, is arrange through our provider to have a month of an international calling plan so we can text or call when needed.

jeanigor
09-28-2009, 03:05 PM
As I understand it, cell phones will work, but International Rates will apply...if I'm wrong, someone please correct me. What we are going to do, is arrange through our provider to have a month of an international calling plan so we can text or call when needed.

I concur. International rates would be in play. Maybe up to $1 per text? Don't know...have to ask someone who has texted before while on board and if they have a comparable plan to yours.

And don't forget, you get charged for the text (or phone call) if someone is trying to reach you. So if your son leaves his phone in the cabin and goes and has a blast on Castaway Cay, and some of his buddies back home text him. Ching. Ching. Ching. Ching. Ching.

Perhaps, a better solution to having contact with your son may be a set of two-way radios (kinda like walkie talkies) and turning off the cell phone as we left Port Canaveral. The upfront cost may seem large, but would be better than getting a cell phone bill with humongous charges after we returned home.

lovethecastle
09-28-2009, 03:39 PM
thank you so much for your replys(i don't know how to add more then one quote & I am to old to learn).
oh my, that could get expensive-I hadn't thought about his buddies back home texting him. Turning off the cell & using 2 way radios sound like a good idea.

lovethecastle
09-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Next question-are there safes in the staterooms? I have not seen anything about there possible existence in all the stateroom information.
thank you

jeanigor
09-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Next question-are there safes in the staterooms? I have not seen anything about there possible existence in all the stateroom information.
thank you

Yes. There are safes in the closets of the staterooms. They activated by passing a card with a magnetic strip through the scanner to lock.unlock them. Any card with a magnetic strip will work. I wouldn't recommend the card the DCL gives you that has your info and stuff on it.
My roommate and I stayed at the Dolphin pre-cruise. We kept our room keys from there and uses them as safe keys on the ship. Nobody else had access to them, and if for some reason somebody else found the key, it would look like an old hotel room key (worthless). I've heard of some people using the library card or Sam's club card.
As far as size goes, I am not sure. I stuck my passport and cash in. My roommate had more important things that he accessed everyday. I think the safes may be getting a size upgrade during drydock? Someone who is better in the know than I am would be able to answer this for you.:goodvibes

lindsey clare
09-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Depends on what you are drinking. I didn't find them to be that out of line. A martini is around $6, drink of the day in a regular glass $5. Souvenir glasses are more obviously. I don't drink beer so I can't answer that.
coming from Australia, that seems like VERY reasonable. we pay upwards of $15AUD for a cocktail here. so... cocktails here we come! :woohoo:

winotracy
09-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Sorry, too busy to answer questions yesterday.

Thanks in advance

I concur. International rates would be in play. Maybe up to $1 per text? Don't know...have to ask someone who has texted before while on board and if they have a comparable plan to yours.

And don't forget, you get charged for the text (or phone call) if someone is trying to reach you. So if your son leaves his phone in the cabin and goes and has a blast on Castaway Cay, and some of his buddies back home text him. Ching. Ching. Ching. Ching. Ching.

Perhaps, a better solution to having contact with your son may be a set of two-way radios (kinda like walkie talkies) and turning off the cell phone as we left Port Canaveral. The upfront cost may seem large, but would be better than getting a cell phone bill with humongous charges after we returned home.

International rates do apply but a month of international plans can be expensive if you have the internet on your phone. It was cheaper to pay for a call on the phone with the international rate. I believe I was charged around $2.49 a minute. And yes, you are charged for all incoming calls as well. We just activated international calling and were all set. Two-way radios work great (get the longest range you can afford). Though when I gave me nephew one and he went to the arcade and couldn't figure out the tokens, his and mine almost got thrown overboard ("come in aunt tracy, over and out" "aunt tracy, are you there" "where are you aunt tracy" all in about 5 minutes from when I got the first message until I was there)

thank you

The safes on the Magic are different than the Wonder. We suspect that the Wonder's will be changed at drydock and they will be like the Magic ones. They will no longer need a card to open, you will punch in a pin code. They are also much larger than before. I can put a very small laptop in the one we had.

lovethecastle
09-29-2009, 03:45 PM
double post-sorry

lovethecastle
09-29-2009, 03:53 PM
just wanted to say thank you to tracy, cerniva & jeanigor for their answers
about cell phones & room safes.
I do hope they change out the room safes to pin number instead of the magnetic strip. I would be afraid of id theft using any card with important info on it.
Now that I think of it I think I remember kevin & john saying they threw their walkie talkies overboard on a cruise because they were kind of difficult. Cell
phones it is-( i probably couldn't operate a walkie talkie anyway).
thanks again & i'm done for now :)

farmergirl
01-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Can anyone tell me what time we should be getting off the ship on the 16th. Neve cruised before so I was wondering if it would be morning of afternoon. Thanks!

winotracy
01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Can anyone tell me what time we should be getting off the ship on the 16th. Neve cruised before so I was wondering if it would be morning of afternoon. Thanks!

Morning. The ship clears customs between 7:30 and 8:00 am. Everyone must be off the ship between 9:00 am and 9:30 am.

OKW Lover
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Morning. The ship clears customs between 7:30 and 8:00 am. Everyone must be off the ship between 9:00 am and 9:30 am.

Tracy knows. :thumbsup2

I think we were back at WDW by 11:00

k5jmh
01-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Does the ship move?

winotracy
01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Does the ship move?

Only between ports of call.