PDA

View Full Version : For the First Time Cruisers -Ask your questions here

Pages : 1 [2]

kimisabella
01-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Morning. The ship clears customs between 7:30 and 8:00 am. Everyone must be off the ship between 9:00 am and 9:30 am.

We were one of the first off the ship, I want to say it was like 7:15 a.m. We were walking around DTD by 8:30 a.m. - and nothing was open yet, except for McDonalds!

farmergirl
01-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Thank you. The cruise is way to far away to be as excited as I am!!! But I just can't help it!:)

Cherinva
01-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Thank you. The cruise is way to far away to be as excited as I am!!! But I just can't help it!:)

I feel the same way...especially since our passports arrived yesterday..now it all seems real.

disneyholic family
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
cell phone question again (sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread)...
do cell phones work when the ship is "at sea", or just in port?

when we were last on the Wonder (a few years back), cell phones only worked in nassau...not when the ship was out....

has this changed?

DH was just asking me about this..
he's seriously considering coming along, but he has to be available by phone 24/7....so i said i'd check...

winotracy
01-07-2010, 08:13 PM
cell phone question again (sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread)...
do cell phones work when the ship is "at sea", or just in port?

when we were last on the Wonder (a few years back), cell phones only worked in nassau...not when the ship was out....

has this changed?

DH was just asking me about this..
he's seriously considering coming along, but he has to be available by phone 24/7....so i said i'd check...

When you are in port, cell phones will work off of local towers. While at sea, you can get service on most cell phones on the ship. You do have to have international calling on your phone and you are charged a set per minute roaming rate (I think Verizon is $2.99 a minute).

jcb
01-07-2010, 09:01 PM
At sea roaming rate for AT&T calls was 2.49 per minute in Dec. 2008.

mainegal
01-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I feel the same way...especially since our passports arrived yesterday..now it all seems real.

Now put your passports in a safe place.
NO!!!
Not that safe place! You won't remember the location of that safe place.
Put them in the other safe place. The one you will remember!

k5jmh
01-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Only between ports of call.

You are such a difuser! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

disneyholic family
01-08-2010, 02:04 AM
When you are in port, cell phones will work off of local towers. While at sea, you can get service on most cell phones on the ship. You do have to have international calling on your phone and you are charged a set per minute roaming rate (I think Verizon is $2.99 a minute).

that's great!!
Thanks Tracy!!

Cherinva
01-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Now put your passports in a safe place.
NO!!!
Not that safe place! You won't remember the location of that safe place.
Put them in the other safe place. The one you will remember!

LOL...now that's funny. I always do that, put things in a safe place and never remember where that safe place is. I promise, I will remember where these are....my isssue will be remembering to bring them with us....guess it's time to start the "LIST"

mickeywatch33
01-13-2010, 04:11 PM
This may be a dumb question, but will we receive Podcast/Diser event information before we board or will this be something we should expect to get once we get to our staterooms?

Thanks!

OKW Lover
01-13-2010, 05:29 PM
This may be a dumb question, but will we receive Podcast/Diser event information before we board or will this be something we should expect to get once we get to our staterooms?

Thanks!

Maybe. Maybe not. :goodvibes

Last year we did know the schedule of events before we boarded - at least most of it. But that doesn't mean that it will work the same this year.

And before Kevin is forced to come over here and yell at us again - its way to early for that kind of advanced planning. :teacher:

Me? I'd just go with the flow. :cloud9:

mainegal
01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I'd just go with the flow. :cloud9:

I think this floe is going to be really fun!

Floe? No, not an ice floe like in Titanic, of course!

mickeywatch33
01-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. :goodvibes

Last year we did know the schedule of events before we boarded - at least most of it. But that doesn't mean that it will work the same this year.

And before Kevin is forced to come over here and yell at us again - its way to early for that kind of advanced planning. :teacher:

Me? I'd just go with the flow. :cloud9:

Got it. Thanks! :)

WDWtraveler27
01-18-2010, 11:27 PM
will I have to swim? I dont want to swim! :scared:

jeanigor
01-19-2010, 07:53 AM
will I have to swim? I dont want to swim! :scared:

Only if you disobey. Then we might toss you in the dingy and tow you behind the boat (ship).;)

WDWtraveler27
01-19-2010, 07:53 PM
If so, I guess I will have to swim D:
hahahah

Guapotimmy
02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
For last year's Podcast Cruise, did they have a hotel deal with one of the Disney resorts prior/after the cruise? What was the price, if so?

winotracy
02-08-2010, 05:31 AM
For last year's Podcast Cruise, did they have a hotel deal with one of the Disney resorts prior/after the cruise? What was the price, if so?

Yes, we had the Dolphin for $99 a night plus tax. There is no word yet on whether or not there will be a resort deal this year.

Cherinva
02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Ok, I just paid off our cruise. I then went onto the DCL website just to play around and look at our reservation. I see that in September I will have paperwork to fill out. Can someone tell me what the paperwork is, and what do i do with it?

jeanigor
02-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Ok, I just paid off our cruise. I then went onto the DCL website just to play around and look at our reservation. I see that in September I will have paperwork to fill out. Can someone tell me what the paperwork is, and what do i do with it?

Pretty standard legal stuff. 'Important' information you should be aware of. Nothing to sweat over. It's not an exam in Western Macroeconomics.:goodvibes

winotracy
02-08-2010, 12:16 PM

Just like Todd said. They are legal cruise contracts, authorization for payment of charges onboard, registration for children's programming. Without these filled out you will not be able to board. If you don't want to do them online, you can wait and do them at the port, but it will take more time to check in.

Cherinva
02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Pretty standard legal stuff. 'Important' information you should be aware of. Nothing to sweat over. It's not an exam in Western Macroeconomics.:goodvibes

Ok, that's good to know, since I don't know what Western Macroeconomics is...LOL

Cherinva
02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Just like Todd said. They are legal cruise contracts, authorization for payment of charges onboard, registration for children's programming. Without these filled out you will not be able to board. If you don't want to do them online, you can wait and do them at the port, but it will take more time to check in.

Sounds good, as always Thanks Tracy..you're the best.

DisneyTravelers2008
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
We are DVC members and are thinking about using our points for a cruise. We have never done one b4.

A few ???...

Is everything paid for, except alcohol?
Do you have to pay extra for the kids to do the kid activities?
Do they they have characters on the ship?
Do they have character dining on the ship?

DisneyTravelers2008
02-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Another questions...my DH is not sure he would like a cruise. He says it is just a big boat w/ nothing but food. How would you describe a typical day on a cruise ship?

winotracy
02-08-2010, 12:26 PM
We are DVC members and are thinking about using our points for a cruise. We have never done one b4.

A few ???...

Is everything paid for, except alcohol?
Do you have to pay extra for the kids to do the kid activities?
Do they they have characters on the ship?
Do they have character dining on the ship?

Keep in mind if you pay for the cruise with DVC points you will not be able to participate in the DISUnplugged Podcast events. Additionally, you will be "paying" significantly more for your cruise.

Your food, entertainment, room, taxes and fees are included. You pay for alcoholic and specialty drinks, shore excursions, photos, souvenirs, gratuities, beverage tastings, etc.

If your kids are all potty trained and over three the children's programming is included in the price of the cruise.

The do have many characters and meet and greets with the characters onboard. On the 3 and 4 night sailings however, there are no character dining opportunities.

Another questions...my DH is not sure he would like a cruise. He says it is just a big boat w/ nothing but food. How would you describe a typical day on a cruise ship?

There is much more than just food on a cruise. There is swimming, deck parties, spa visits, adult enrichment series activities (making food, touring the galley, Q&As with the crew), shows, entertainment, ports of calls. I could go on and on.

jeanigor
03-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I had a question that I don't know the answer to, so I figured I would see if AskTracy could provide me with an answer.....

Can I send a prepaid package (ie Prepaid Priority Box from the USPS) home from the port or the ship?

winotracy
03-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I had a question that I don't know the answer to, so I figured I would see if AskTracy could provide me with an answer.....

Can I send a prepaid package (ie Prepaid Priority Box from the USPS) home from the port or the ship?

I don't know the answer off the top of my head, so I'll check and let you know.

disneyholic family
03-08-2010, 09:42 AM
He says it is just a big boat w/ nothing but food.

and that's bad because...?

winotracy
03-08-2010, 12:48 PM

DCL is researching this for me and will call me later with the answer.

Thanks!

georgemoe
03-08-2010, 01:02 PM

Are you mailing yourself home from port? :)

jeanigor
03-08-2010, 01:03 PM
DCL is researching this for me and will call me later with the answer.

Thanks!

:worship::worship::worship:

TXYankee
03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Tracy,

Where can I get a Karaoke Song List for Karaoke night?

Thanks,
Theresa

Launchpad11B
03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Tracy,

Thanks,
Theresa

UH-OH, do we have a singer in our midsts?!! :yay:

TXYankee
03-08-2010, 06:16 PM
UH-OH, do we have a singer in our midsts?!! :yay:

That depends on how Happy, Happy Hour was!!

I sound great in the shower. The cats Love my singing!

Launchpad11B
03-08-2010, 06:21 PM

Cruelty to animals is not a laughing matter! :lmao::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2:

winotracy
03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Tracy,

Thanks,
Theresa

On the ship ;)

georgemoe
03-09-2010, 10:57 AM

I just know I will love Teresa's singing. After 10 beers! :)

k5jmh
03-09-2010, 11:12 AM

:worship: http://www.disboards.com/image.php?u=178991&dateline=1267887516 - He can shatter a wine glass,.....just by farting, because he is, (dramatic pause).....The most interesting man, in the world.

winotracy
03-09-2010, 11:37 AM

This cannot be done at this time from the port or the ship (though in Barcelona it is possible from the port). There is, however a post office at the airport. There are also a number of business centers at Disney where you can ship from.

teskak
03-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I just got some cruise info from DCL in the mail, so now that DH confirms we are going :cool1: I have some planning to catch up on.

Apologiies if this has been asked before, but last time there were some special deals of Swan / Dolphin for the time before the cruise - will there be something similar and when would it be announced? I guess the alternative is to rent some DVC points, but they need to be booked well in advance??

details will keep me from work....

Cherinva
03-09-2010, 06:54 PM
I just got some cruise info from DCL in the mail, so now that DH confirms we are going :cool1: I have some planning to catch up on.

Apologiies if this has been asked before, but last time there were some special deals of Swan / Dolphin for the time before the cruise - will there be something similar and when would it be announced? I guess the alternative is to rent some DVC points, but they need to be booked well in advance??

Nothing has been announced so far about the Swan / Dolphin.

TXYankee
03-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Just for you Paul, I will sing Zippity Do Da in full voice out side your cabin door at 5:00am every day on the cruise. (I'll being ear phugs for Alicia!)

On the ship ;)

Smarty Pants.

Awww, thanks George! I feel the love!:love:

I was hoping the to hear if Dreams was even thinking about a Swan/Dolphan pre / post special. If not, I will be looking into renting points too. I just wonder how long I should hold out.

winotracy
03-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I was hoping the to hear if Dreams was even thinking about a Swan/Dolphan pre / post special. If not, I will be looking into renting points too. I just wonder how long I should hold out.

I doubt you will hear one way or another before the ABD trip.

Cherinva
03-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Bump