PDA

View Full Version : refrigerator rental?

Badgerfan
06-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Hi all, :)

Could someone please tell me how much extra it would cost to have a refrigerator in the room? We are staying at the Contemporary at the end of July, and are leaning towards having one in the room, but I can't find how much it would cost. Thanks for your help!

Badgerfan

crusoemom
06-14-2002, 04:36 PM
It was $10 per day a year ago - I doubt it's gone up much since then.

It was one of those small ones, but worth it to us to have milk and juice in the room at all times.

Jaypd
06-14-2002, 06:24 PM
Its still $10 a day :)

Badgerfan
06-14-2002, 06:42 PM
Thanks Crusoemom and Jaypd!:D 10 doesn't seem to bad for the extra convenience. Crusoemom, maybe we'll run into you, we are also staying at AKL July 24th - 26th. Never have been to either AKL or Contemporary and looking forward to both!!

Badgerfan

Meriweather
06-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Just to pass along an idea that was on another thread....

buy a small one if you have transportation.....under $70 at Wal-Mart....and then just leave it there when you leave OR pass it on to some one else...possibly a DISer ;-)

Tink
06-15-2002, 12:25 PM
If you have a car, another option is to buy one of those styrofaom (or however you spell it) coolers. I was leary about them for a long time and took a chance on our last trip. The thing was so worth it. We would load it up with ice from the ice machine and put in our fruit, milk and juices. The next morning, hardly any ice had melted. I was impressed, since I was sure it was not going to work (the pessimist in me) but, I figured for $3 how could I lose?

Actually, it came in really handy since we were at WDW during 9/11 and had to drive home to NY. We were able to keep drinks cool for the way home.

We plan on getting one on our next trip, also. We definately need it, since we will still have baby formula and baby food to keep cold.

I should say that I don't mind splurging on vacation, but to pay that money for a fridge bothers me. It's my pet peeve. I know Disney is in it for the $$$, and I am a stockholder, but for a place that has so many families that may need to keep food and formula cold, they really rip you off!

Poohbear123
06-15-2002, 02:05 PM
I did the same thing, bought a cooler for 3.00 and left it!;) It worked GREAT!:p

crusoemom
06-15-2002, 09:05 PM
Actually, I've heard that if you need one to keep medication or other necessities cold, they won't charge you. But I don't know if that one's a rumor or not...

jgates
06-15-2002, 11:32 PM
My understanding was you still had to pay at Disney & at S/Dolphin. The Courtyard in DDisney did not charge us since it was for medications though. The one there also had a small freezer in it so we could really chill the water bottles.

StrwLady
06-17-2002, 02:09 AM
The collapsible ice chest work great too. They are like a big lunch bag and fold up. We use to take a small ice chest with us but going on a plane it usually meant packing a box and checking it on the plane. I was leery that the collapsible ones would keep items as cold until a friend used one on one of her DW trips. So in October 2001 we used the collapsible one. It was great. We would fill it with ice in the evening and items stayed cold. Very cold!!! By the next evening we would pour out any water in there from melted ice and carry it to the ice machine to fill it up. The one I have has a shoulder strap so it was very easy to carry back full of ice. I did put anything that I thought was no air tight in a zip loc bag so no water leaked in. Only problem I found is that as the ice melts it can leak a bit. So I placed a towel under it and problem solved!
:sunny: :sunny:

SueM in MN
06-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Refrigerators used to be free for people who needed medication kept cold. People abused it by saying they had medication just to get the free refrigerator, so WDW started charging everyone. Some people have been able to get a refrigerator fee waived for medication, but it's not a for sure thing.

Wenlitz
06-17-2002, 10:01 AM
We will be staying at WL in Aug. When I made our reservations I asked about a refrigerator and she told me we could have one in our room for free since it is for medical reasons. My son is insulin dependant. I hate to pay $100.00 for the use of a frig. So I am hoping it will be free of charge.;)

tileman
06-17-2002, 04:22 PM
Hi we just got back from Port Orleans F/Q and we went to
wal-mart and got a small frig for under $80.00 with tax we used it
for over 6 days in the room.

I saw over 6 guys pulling out frig's out of the trunk of there cars
and back of vans so I was not to worred about takeing it in the room.

We did call ahead and ask the front desk if it was ok to do and they said sure bring your own or we can rent you one.

So now when we go back in a few months I'll just pack the little frig like the rest of the stuff:D