PDA

View Full Version : teacher gifts

eyeore
05-15-2009, 09:09 AM
ok i know i'm a little early but i am starting to think of gifts for my sons teachers. one male teacher and one female classroom assistant. any suggestions welcome. i can think of a few things for the lady but the man???? help!!

natalielongstaff
05-15-2009, 10:16 AM
the big chain card shops ( birthdays, clintons etc) do teacher gifts and they usually have mugs and stuff :)

mandymouse
05-15-2009, 10:29 AM
How about lottery tickets ? :)

Cyrano
05-15-2009, 10:40 AM
OH has been buying Yankee tarts, burners etc when they are on offer. This way we have presents ready since we have to buy for all 3 of the troops teachers/asssistants.

Apology to the hard work that teachers do but I think it is a bit of a racket :headache:
What about the office staff, janitor and kitchen staff who have also worked hard throughout the year.
Bring back the good old days when people just did their job rather than expect gifts :rolleyes1

That said DS's teacher bought each child a small gift as a thank you in return :goodvibes

Goofyish
05-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Gifts for teachers? Is this a new thing becasue we certainly didn't do that when I was at school LOL

DW is a teaching assistant though, so I'm all in favour of her getting nice gifts (especially nice chocies that I can share :yay:) :)

higgy66
05-15-2009, 11:15 AM
OH has been buying Yankee tarts, burners etc when they are on offer. This way we have presents ready since we have to buy for all 3 of the troops teachers/asssistants.

Apology to the hard work that teachers do but I think it is a bit of a racket :headache:
What about the office staff, janitor and kitchen staff who have also worked hard throughout the year.
Bring back the good old days when people just did their job rather than expect gifts :rolleyes1

That said DS's teacher bought each child a small gift as a thank you in return :goodvibes

Last summer I was shocked to find out that parents were buying the teachers presents at my dds school as this was a new concept to me. When I realised the teachers would be getting up to 30 gifts I decided to make it 29 and I bought the office Administrator a gift instead - her reaction was amazing. She jumped out of her chair and gave me a big hug! :scared1: There are 2 admin peple now so they can have a gift from each of my daughters as i'm sure the teachers won't miss one small gift! :thumbsup2

scottish mum
05-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Well i have 3 kids at the same school, each with a different teacher and classroom assistant. I am not buying them all pressies (mean mum I know). What I do is buy a nice box of biscuits for them to have in the staff room at break time. They go to a small school so between the 3 of them they get taught by all the teachers plus they get visiting teachers for pe, music etc. By doing the box of biscuits nobody gets missed out. My kids each make a card with a small note inside it for their own teacher

joolz1910
05-15-2009, 02:45 PM
I've had a lot of gifts over the years - some from parents and some from kids - but the things that mean the most are the heartfelt words (sorry to be soppy). When kids tell you that you have given them confidence or that you are their favourite teacher - that is priceless. :)

BTW, this gift thing works both ways! When my students leave, it costs me a fortune in goodies. ;)

emily1982
05-15-2009, 02:50 PM
I was going to say i spend a 1 per child and it adds up! I don't expect anything, but have had some lovely letters off parents and homemade cards.

Cyrano
05-15-2009, 06:00 PM
I was going to say i spend a 1 per child and it adds up! I don't expect anything, but have had some lovely letters off parents and homemade cards.

That is nice :)

I suspect in our school teachers get between 5-10 per child. Good result from a class of 30 pupils ;)

rpbert1
05-15-2009, 06:36 PM
teachers in our school , have been over the last 2 years, asking for parents to donate what they can to the charity that our children has decided on for the year, which i think is a really nice gesture, and it saves the parents trying to decide what to get them.

Dimplenose
05-16-2009, 02:03 AM

I work as a Classroom Assistant and certainly don't expect a present for doing my job.

The most special gifts are the ones the child has made themselves (funnily enough I get quite a few homemade Mickey Mouse cards.:))

Sometimes the parents very generously join together and buy me a gift card and whilst I do appreciate their generosity, I really love watching the faces of the children when I open a small gift just from them. (Sadly a lot of the children don't even know what's in the gift that they've just given to me).

Netty
05-16-2009, 04:04 AM
ok i know i'm a little early but i am starting to think of gifts for my sons teachers. one male teacher and one female classroom assistant. any suggestions welcome. i can think of a few things for the lady but the man???? help!!

what about a pen set??

Lizzybear
05-16-2009, 04:20 AM
When I did longterm supply as a TA recently it encompassed Christmas so I did end up getting quite a few presents, though none were expected! One of the classes had a collection organised by one of the mums and we all got M&S gift vouchers which I think is a great idea as then each child only has to bring in 2 or so and the parents don't have the stress of thinking what to buy.

Tartan Tigger
05-16-2009, 09:23 AM
I've also had a lot of gifts over the years and agree with joolz1910, the thing that means the most to me is a thank you card/note.

hildasmuriel
05-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh I like that idea of giving prezzies to the admin staff instead. ;)

Having been parent, teaching assistant and school secretary I have seen this from several sides.

I don't like the idea that parents feel obliged to buy presents - as Cyrano says, people are paid to do the job and don't need a present anymore than your checkout operator at Tesco does.
However if you have been particularly pleased at your child's progress or happiness in any year, I think it's nice to make a small gesture of appreciation.

Boxes of biscuits/chocolates for the staffroom are GREATLY appreciated and are good if there are quite a few staff who work with your child's class.

As for male teachers - the ones I know would love a bottle of plonk. A penset is nice for a non drinker.

Our staff room is rather over-populated with mugs saying "Best Teacher".....just saying....:rolleyes1

Cyrano
05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Our staff room is rather over-populated with mugs saying "Best Teacher".....just saying....:rolleyes1

Along with matching Best Teacher ornaments :lmao:

wicket2005
05-18-2009, 02:56 AM
My SiL who is a primary teacher doesn't keep many of the gifts instead she passes them on to charity shops or old folks' homes.

PoppyAnna
05-18-2009, 04:34 AM
Last summer I was shocked to find out that parents were buying the teachers presents at my dds school as this was a new concept to me. When I realised the teachers would be getting up to 30 gifts I decided to make it 29 and I bought the office Administrator a gift instead - her reaction was amazing. She jumped out of her chair and gave me a big hug! :scared1: There are 2 admin peple now so they can have a gift from each of my daughters as i'm sure the teachers won't miss one small gift! :thumbsup2

Thats a lovely idea, I've often thought about the other members of the school "team" too. I might take this idea on board this year. I don't think my DD's classroom staff would miss a gift either.

Well i have 3 kids at the same school, each with a different teacher and classroom assistant. I am not buying them all pressies (mean mum I know). What I do is buy a nice box of biscuits for them to have in the staff room at break time. They go to a small school so between the 3 of them they get taught by all the teachers plus they get visiting teachers for pe, music etc. By doing the box of biscuits nobody gets missed out. My kids each make a card with a small note inside it for their own teacher

Lovely idea - not mean at all.

I've had a lot of gifts over the years - some from parents and some from kids - but the things that mean the most are the heartfelt words (sorry to be soppy). When kids tell you that you have given them confidence or that you are their favourite teacher - that is priceless. :)

BTW, this gift thing works both ways! When my students leave, it costs me a fortune in goodies. ;)

I'm glad that you love the cards, DD always writes her own card and I make a photo laminated gift tag that she writes a msg on too.

DD's teacher is very generous with little treats around christmas and the end of term, so I know it works both ways:thumbsup2

I work as a Classroom Assistant and certainly don't expect a present for doing my job.

The most special gifts are the ones the child has made themselves (funnily enough I get quite a few homemade Mickey Mouse cards.:))

Sometimes the parents very generously join together and buy me a gift card and whilst I do appreciate their generosity, I really love watching the faces of the children when I open a small gift just from them. (Sadly a lot of the children don't even know what's in the gift that they've just given to me).

I was going to say that our class rep collects a pound from the parents that want to contribute to teacher and TA's birthday and they get quite a nice pressie for 28 ::yes::

We like to try and make cakes or sweets for teacher at the end of term, I also try a little well priced gift, my DD's female teacher is so young and seems to like fashion:rolleyes1 so I might get her a trandy scarf or at christmas I got her a blingy diamante initial keyring which didn't cost me much. Although not original, I think a bottle of wine is a very welcome gift at the end of a long year;)

Funky_dino
06-14-2009, 12:16 PM
How about the wage they get for doing there job.
I don't presents from people for doing my job why should they

CustardTart
06-14-2009, 12:45 PM
...Boxes of biscuits/chocolates for the staffroom are GREATLY appreciated and are good if there are quite a few staff who work with your child's class...

That's what I used to do - chocs, biscuits and selection of teas for the staff room. In my experience, staff often pool their gifts anyway so easier to give something generic that the everyone can appreciate in their valuable down time...

Head_in_the_clouds
06-14-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm a teacher and I very rarely get gifts (once or twice in five years). I don't expect them but I did used to give presents to my teachers when I was at school in the 90's and naughties, twice a year at christmas and at the end of the summer term, I remember some parents didn't give anything but most did (smellies, chocolate, pens). I get my students small things at christmas, end of terms etc, usually prizes for games but I try and engineer it that everyone wins a prize lol! Although, I don't get gifts I would add that I do get lots of little cards and notes from the children almost every week and the odd fairy cake after a weekend baking session. It is the lovely notes that mean the most :goodvibes as I know that I have somehow made a difference to the children that have written them.

Verity Chambers
06-14-2009, 02:57 PM

As a teacher, I have never EXPECTED a gift, but am always very grateful if someone has taken the time and thought to get me one.

eeyorefanuk
06-14-2009, 03:45 PM

It does work the other way !!

My sister who is a teacher (just graduated last year) and went to disney with us brought back her children a tiny snow globe and lollipop each !

Cyrano
06-14-2009, 04:15 PM
It does work the other way !!

My sister who is a teacher (just graduated last year) and went to disney with us brought back her children a tiny snow globe and lollipop each !

It is nice that your sister does this :)

Loubbylou
06-14-2009, 04:21 PM
My DS's teacher doesn't deserve a present she deserves a medal :rotfl:

Joking aside though my DS started school last year and at Christmas on the last day of term most of the kids had brought the teacher a present, I had never heard of this before. DS got a bit upset because he had nothing to give her (I should have told him to give her a kiss and a cuddle but even that is frowned upon nowadays).

I haven't decided what we are going to do at the end of term yet. :confused3

Presents ideas for a male teacher: a tie (the male teachers at DS school all where ties), cuff links, photo frame or paperweight.

Ware Bears
06-14-2009, 04:54 PM
My DDs always used to give a small present to their teachers, TAs and dinner lady at Christmas and at the end of year. I'm afraid I wasn't very original because they usually gave chocolates or a mug but I looked on it as teaching my DDs how to show their appreciation for what the teacher/TA/dinner lady had done for them throughout the year.

On the other side, I now work in a school a couple of hours each day and have already bought the children in my class a small gift ready for the end of year. Nothing expensive ~ just a pirate pencil and notebook for the boys and a HSM pencil and notebook for the girls, it works out at less than 50p each.

silver apple
06-14-2009, 05:39 PM
When my son finished in reception last July I bought the teacher and TA's a nice bottle of plonk each. They had done a marvellous job and had looked after all of the children really well.

This year however, I'm not sure that his yr1 teacher even knows his name:confused:, so as I'm not feeling so generous I have bought them both a small bottle of handcream from M&S at the pricely sum of 1 each!

I would have preferred to send in a card only, but I don't want my ds to feel embarassed if he is the only one to go in empty handed.

hildasmuriel
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
This year however, I'm not sure that his yr1 teacher even knows his name.

That is so sad! I only hope it means he is such a good child that he slips under the radar - just gets on and does what he should. Even so, you shouldn't be left feeling that way. :sad2:

In school at the moment we are all feeling the pinch - so many staff leaving, having babies or birthdays that end in "0" - it is costing a fortune in collections. :scared1:

silver apple
06-18-2009, 05:07 AM
That is so sad! I only hope it means he is such a good child that he slips under the radar - just gets on and does what he should. Even so, you shouldn't be left feeling that way.

Thanks for that, she is apparently only interested in the high achieving girls, and my ds is neither of these things:rotfl2: Her indifference used to make me really cross, but I'm trying to be pragmatic as both of the current yr2 teachers are superb:thumbsup2

Trilli-magic
06-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Like many pp said why don't you let your children make something for their teacher.
It means a whole lot more coming from the heart :)