PDA

View Full Version : What British Goodies would you send to an American?

T16GEM
05-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi Everyone!

A friend of mine is sending me some of the lovely snacks that I like to buy when we are in the States and I wanted to return the favour, she has never visited the UK so doesn't really have anything specific that she likes. Although I know that she likes Curly Wurleys so I am going to pop some of those in the parcel.

What suggestions do you have? She doesn't have a preference between sweet or savoury so that is quite good. Please bear in mind that they have to travel all the way to Oregan on the West Coast! :scared1:

Gems

Tillybud
05-14-2009, 01:21 PM
that sounds like my kind of friend :goodvibes I'm not sure what chocolate would travel like but I immediately thought of wispa bars. It's a tough one so I look forward to reading the suggestions although they'll probably make me feel hungry ;)

gemmybear83
05-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Cadburys creme eggs! Actually an cadburys chocolate? Does she like marmite?

taylor3297
05-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't live in the UK, but I do love the candy from the UK. Anytime I know someone who is going to visit the UK, I always request Polo mints. For some reason the Polo mints taste better than the US lifesavers. Also, I love the munchies chocolates with the mint in the middle ( I think these used to be called Mentolas) also Smarties (I call these the UK version of M&M's), smarties here are something totally different, also the cadbury flake bars. Maltesers, fruit pastiles, Hula Hoops (cheese and onion flavor), and Walker's Crisps Worcester sauce are all I can think of right now.

Mrs Doubtfire
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM
My friend liked me to take Extra chewing gum as he thought it tasted better.

How about a Thorntons bar of chocolate or some of their toffee?

(Just back to my friend - his mum took brussell sprouts for the Christmas Dinner quite a few years ago as he couldn't get them!! Not sure how she got through customs - they also took a Christmas Cake.)

Beth__WDW23/6/02
05-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Cadburys chocolate,Also Chocolate fingers :lmao: (this was one of my cravings whilst over there),not quite sure what else.

Sounds like you have a great friend :goodvibes

anonymousegirl
05-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Hello, American here!

having lived in the UK with DH there are so many foods I miss, but you can't send them over (like decent beer, and most M&S yummies; I would do a lot for M&S's Lime and Corriander chicken right now)

But for stuff you can ship:
Galaxy choc bars-- the best choc ever!
Tunnocks --I'm drooling right now
Cadbury's Milky buttons--unheard of here
Gingernuts
McVitties Choc digestives
Heinz beans --our beans are nothing like these (man, I miss those jacket potatoes with beans and cheese)

If you could also send over some decent newspapers, and Midsomer Murder that would be much appreciated!

I was joking about Midsomer, but I always enjoy reading your papers more than ours, so pop a copy of the Mirror in there so he/she can see what's going on in the UK. On my first date with my DH he brought me the Manchester Guardian and some English money to show me since I had never been over to the UK.

mandymouse
05-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Definitely some Cadbury's chocolate, then perhaps some Scottish Shortbread, and a miniature Irish Whiskey, I can't think of anything from Wales - how about a leek ? :rotfl2:

PoppyAnna
05-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Straight away I thought about Marmite too:confused3

Twiglets
Mini cheddars
Mint Aero
Revels
Coconut Ice:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Not a fan of Cadburys myself but it would be good to send some, or Galaxy:thumbsup2
Terrys Chocolate Orange
Crunchie bar

Good luck with your package, Gems. I'd struggle not to eat it all as I was packing it;)

Lizzybear
05-14-2009, 02:42 PM
I've done quite a few 'candy swaps' and some things i've sent are: Thorntons chocolate, flake bars, milky way magic stars, chocolate hobnobs, aeros (especially the different flavours), galaxy, monster munch, giant buttons... :)

natalielongstaff
05-14-2009, 02:47 PM
walkers crisps :thumbsup2

higgy66
05-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm originally from Pontefract - home of sweets!

I would have to include Pontefract cakes, Liquorice allsorts and Haribo!

Tillybud
05-14-2009, 03:17 PM
most of the supermarkets appear to have creme eggs half price at the minute, although I'm pleased to say I've resisted all temptation :goodvibes

how about some shortbread biscuits and some proper tea ?

I love smarties so I'm not sure if I could part with those, or what about kitkats ?

T16GEM
05-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Loving all your ideas, more please!!

torsie24
05-14-2009, 04:07 PM
I've done quite a few 'candy swaps' and some things i've sent are: Thorntons chocolate, flake bars, milky way magic stars, chocolate hobnobs, aeros (especially the different flavours), galaxy, monster munch, giant buttons... :)
Where do I find these Candy swaps?!?!

I'd send flake, mint aero, maltesers, cadbury buttons, baked beans.......

When I was at Uni in the states I missed baked beans sooo much! Was my first meal when I got home!

Lizzybear
05-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm a member what used to be a 'teen' buying/selling/trading/general chat forum since 2001 (most of us are in our 20s now, I sometimes wonder if we'll be posting about our grandkids in years to come! :laughing:) and I used to do swaps on there since most of the members are American, it gets a bit expensive though and since you can buy most US candy over here nowadays I don't tend to do it anymore except for a few people in the US whom I buy birthday and Christmas presents for :)

Claire L
05-14-2009, 05:23 PM
How about some shortbread?
Claire ;)

BRobson
05-14-2009, 05:35 PM
What about a couple of our magazines ?

I am a magazine junkie and love buying all the US ones :thumbsup2

Pegasus928
05-15-2009, 12:20 AM
We have a shop local to us that sells retro sweets - all the favourites from our school days such as cola cubes, sherbert fountains, dib-dabs (though I am sure you can still get these).
Not sure if I have seen things like midget gems, wine gums etc - so I would be tempted to stick a few 'quarters' of something in there.

mushumadness
05-15-2009, 02:38 AM
I take a tin of cadburys roses every year for my american friend. she loves them lol

tony64
05-15-2009, 02:38 AM
I know at least one American who loves Jaffa cakes. :)

torsie24
05-15-2009, 02:41 AM
What about a couple of our magazines ?

I am a magazine junkie and love buying all the US ones :thumbsup2
Great idea!

And I second the jaffa cakes!!

T16GEM
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all of your replies - I have compiled this list.......

Kit Kats
Polo Mints
Milky Buttons
Chocolate Digestives and maybe some Hob Nobs
Minature Baileys
Twiglets (we have talked about these before and she didn't have a clue what they were!:rotfl:)
Monster Munch
PG Tips
Jaffa Cakes
Wine Gums
Shortbread

I'm also going to put in some Golden Syrup and a recipe for steamed pudding, I love that, but of course a sachet of custard too!

What do you think of my list? Do you think I should add more or change anything? I would love to send some Beans but I think they will be too heavy.

BRobson
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Kit Kats
Polo Mints
Milky Buttons
Minature Baileys
Twiglets (we have talked about these before and she didn't have a clue what they were!:rotfl:)
Monster Munch
PG Tips
Jaffa Cakes
Wine Gums
Shortbread

I'm also going to put in some Golden Syrup and a recipe for steamed pudding, I love that, but of course a sachet of custard too!

What do you think of my list? Do you think I should add more or change anything? I would love to send some Beans but I think they will be too heavy.

You would need to check about the Bailleys - not sure what the rules are about sending liquids to the USA:goodvibes

T16GEM
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
You would need to check about the Bailleys - not sure what the rules are about sending liquids to the USA:goodvibes

Aww yes never thought of that, but a minature isn't 100ml is it? So it should be ok? I will check that out though. :thumbsup2

Head_in_the_clouds
05-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Where do I find these Candy swaps?!?!

I'd send flake, mint aero, maltesers, cadbury buttons, baked beans.......

When I was at Uni in the states I missed baked beans sooo much! Was my first meal when I got home!

I'd bet that you could start something up through the DIS! You could start up a thread and see who is interested seeing as most people who use it are from the US. I'd want some butterfinger, hersheys kisses and flamin hot cheetos!

In response to the OP. You could put in a few of those miniature jams and marmalades that you can buy in supermarkets as I always miss good marmalade out there and you could put in a scone recipe for the jam. Toffees definitely! Twinings tea seems to be on offer everywhere at the moment. And I think everyone should try a Galaxy Caramel at least once in their life! I know it is a candy swap but how about putting a lottery ticket in? I like the old-fashioned sweet ideas too. What about jelly babies?

Lizzybear
05-15-2009, 06:18 PM
List looks great Gems, pleased to see the Monster Munch on there as that was something people I sent it to always commented positively on :goodvibes Just thought of a few more: Refresher bars (or similar), M&S percy pigs, Revels :)

Tanzanite
05-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Battenburg cake from Marks & Spencers any chocolate from there is good. Walhut whips.PG Tips tea bags Crisps Smokey bacon ,chicken yummy.:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Pegasus928
05-16-2009, 02:42 AM
Oohh I second the Battenburg idea. How can you not love it :love:

The lottery ticket is a good idea but I think the rules say that you have to be a UK resident to claim a prize (I think :confused3)

The list is looking good though. I'm sure she will be delighted to get all that one morning.

T16GEM
05-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Oohh I second the Battenburg idea. How can you not love it :love:

Yes I love Battenburg, I would probably end up eating that myself though whilst packing! :rotfl:

I'm going to take a trip round Tesco and see what else there is too, I really hope she likes the treats!

wayneg
05-16-2009, 12:55 PM
We send to our US friends often. Take everything to US to post though, costs a fortune from here.

Pear drops.
Sports mixtures.
Yorkshire mixtures.
Wine gums.
Shortbread.

Also sent England soccer strips(for kids), Yorkshire spoon (friend who collects spoons), Anything from Disney Store that is UK exclusive.

We don't send chocolate anymore after some turned up all melted, you have no idea the temps the packages are going thru.

Gaynor
05-16-2009, 04:44 PM

Kit Kats
Polo Mints
Milky Buttons
Minature Baileys
Monster Munch
PG Tips
Jaffa Cakes
Wine Gums
Shortbread

What about the new heinz beans snacks pots they should be a lot lighter to post than tins.

I'd have to add some Yorkshire teabags :) Whoops! just noticed you've got PG tips

T16GEM
05-16-2009, 05:35 PM
We don't send chocolate anymore after some turned up all melted, you have no idea the temps the packages are going thru.

I did think about this, I remember sending another friend who lives in Tampa a Creme Egg once and I parcelled it up so carefully, but it still ended up all melted and goopy! I may well steer clear of the choccies! :rotfl:

Haworthfamily
05-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Hiya

DH has an American Aunt and Uncle living in NY - they like us to send them Quality Street and PG tips.

When they are here they love to eat Fish n' Chips, but I'm not sure how you'd send them! lol

Sarah X

T16GEM
05-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Hiya

When they are here they love to eat Fish n' Chips, but I'm not sure how you'd send them! lol

Sarah X

Yes not sure they would get through customs! :rotfl:

I'm going shopping in the morning while DD3 is at preschool (only one child to deal with - much easier!) so I will let you know what I pick up! :goodvibes

karentan
05-18-2009, 03:24 AM
even if they did make it through customs, would you still want to eat them :rotfl:

aaronandterri
05-18-2009, 09:20 AM
you could get the white chocolate fish and chips......:rotfl:
we often post to my friend in canada and choc has always travelled well for us, she loves benedicts chocolate so we often send that and treats for the kids