PDA

View Full Version : couldn't stand Coronado Springs

steelcity5044
06-13-2002, 11:54 PM
Hi,
We just returned from our stay in the Land June 8th-13th.
We booked at Coronado Springs and requested Cabana 9b but ended up with Casitas 3. We had a corner room with 2 windows and it was nonsmoking.
I will start by saying that huge is an understatement when it comes to this resort. We parked right outside our building but still had at least a 15 minute walk to get to our room.
Yes, it is a beautiful resort and I like the overall looks of the grounds. I booked a standard room but got upgraded to a water view and had a nice view of the lake. I could see the Swan/Dolphin complexes and the ruins we straight across the lake from me.
The problems..... checkin was easy but we had to beg for a package to be delivered. Our room had 2 windows but they were very dirty as was the mirrors. The room looked a little worn overall especially the carpeting. Having onlt the Dolphin to copmare to, the room was tiny!! You don't realize how small a room has to be to contain 2 double beds.
I am not a moderate level person. I could not stand that people walked right outside my windows. What was the worst part was that the sink/vanity area is in the bedroom area plainly visible through the 2 windows. So to do anything you have to shut your drapes st why even bother worrying about the extra window!! They should have designed the room with the sink in the bathroom to give you a at least a little privacy to get dressed, brush teeth, etc.
The last straw came when I called and requested turn down service. The housekeeper came at 6pm in the middle of us getting dressed for dinner and despite our protests proceeded to turn down the beds with us half dressed standing there staring at her!!
When we returned from dinner, around 10pm I talked with the night manager voicing my concerns and told him I was very uncomfortable staying there. Without even asking, he called and had us transfered to the Contemporary at no extra charge. He told us he wanted to make our stay magical and he did. He even booked us in to a tower room with an awesome view of the bay.
The room was huge, private and turn down service came at night when we were out of the room. On our last night they even left us balloons and an Aladdin beanie. Having the monorail right there was incredible and it was very nice to have your room so close and accessible yet private.
I would reccomend the CR to anyone, especilly those with kids and I don't think I could reccomend the CSR especilly to those who value privacy and room size and appearance.
If you have any questions let me know.
Thanks

epcotfan
06-14-2002, 12:18 AM
Sorry to hear you didn't like it. I'm staying there for my first visit in August and still look forward to it despite mixed reviews. All the mods I've stayed at (CBR, POR) can have a lengthy walk. Although I'm probably just used to it. I don't mind the moderates even though I've stayed at the Contemporary and enjoyed it as well.

I'm amazed you got such a huge upgrade to the Contemporary. It is rare to even get a Tower room upgrade if you are staying in one of the Contemporary wings. Let alone for the price of a discounted moderate. WOW.

Personally I prefer the sink area seperate from the shower and toilet. I like my privacy when I'm in the bathroom. Then when someone wants to use the bathroom the other can use the sink for brushing teeth, putting in contacts, etc...

I didn't realize moderates offered turn down service.

Bob NC
06-14-2002, 06:33 AM
I didn't realize moderates offered turn down service

They don't. That could be part of the problem....Expecting deluxe amenities and surroundings at a moderate resort.

chris1gill
06-14-2002, 06:34 AM
All I can say is WOW :) Upgraded to a Contemporary Tower room for the discounted price of a moderate? I would've thought I'd died & gone to heaven LOL....

How many nights were you at CSR? We stayed at CSR last year, and we did like it, but you're right, it's a massive resort. During that trip we didn't plan on going to the parks, we were doing golfing & other stuff like that, so CSR really fit the bill for what we wanted at the time.

I just wanted to mention that I guess the rooms over at CBR are larger & there is a curtain between the sink area (which is where it was at CSR) & the bedroom....

Other than the resort did you have a good vacation?

DisOrBust
06-14-2002, 07:17 AM
WE stayed at CSR and although I am not a "fan" I think its OK as a moderate. You either love it or hate and I think that has to do with where you land there with your room assignment. Cabanas are the pperfect "spot" but other areas can be iffy. We were in Ranchos and it was just to far to use the PM as I had planned which was a great dissapointment. The pool is great especially for kids. The carpets do look worn, whats with that?

Dallas_Lady
06-14-2002, 07:46 AM
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at CSR. And I am glad DIsney was able to make things better for you.

However, I have to agree with the others. I think you went in expecting more from CSR. Moderates do not offer turndown service, I am surprised they sent anyone up to do it at all. And all the moderates have exterior corridors. I am not sure if you knew that or not before going, but, with having exterior corridors, people are able to walk by your window. It's just par for the course.

A1A1
06-14-2002, 08:09 AM
Agree with previous posters that this is a moderate, and it doesn't have all the amenities of the deluxes - turndown service being one of them. The only mod that I know about that is small in scale is POFQ, but sounds like mods might be out of the question for you in the future. All resorts but deluxe have exterior corridors. Since the corridors are exterior, essentially there are no corridors, there are windows that people can walk by. I think all but deluxes have double beds in most of the rooms. They may have a few with a king bed.

I am glad that you appreciated the beauty of the resort. I found it to be especially peaceful and relaxing. Didn't mind the walks at all. The trip that we stayed at CSR, I was less concerned about getting to the parks, and just wanted to enjoy the resort. We sure did that. The bus service to the parks from there, though, was great. We never waited for a bus.

The management seems to be excellent, having sent someone for turndown, when they normally don't do that, and arranging to have you finish your trip in a deluxe.

sharoncity
06-14-2002, 08:20 AM
steelcity5044 - Thanks for the great review. I have only stayed at some of the deluxes, so I've often wondered about how I would like the moderates.:confused: The rates are of course so much better, but would I be comfortable with everyone walking by my window? It is just a personal vacation style decision everyone has to make for themselves.

Other posters - Don't slam steelcity5044 for not liking CSR. They admit in the original post that they were not moderate resort people. And that is fine - not everyone is. I believe the poster did mention the beauty of the resort and complimented the manager for taking care of them. As far as the turndown service request, well honestly I've never asked for it, and wouldn't know which levels offer it. Seems like an honest mistake to me. Dirty windows, mirrors, worn carpet - they seem like legitamite complaints and something that others on this board might want to know before they go. I don't care what level you stay at in Disney, I don't think any of us would expect to see those things. How long has it been since CSR's last rehab? Maybe they should schedule one.
I agree when there are negative reviews with just plain crazy complaints or no backbone, they probably don't belong on these particular boards. But it seems like this poster did try to mention some positives for the resort. And I for one appreciate the honesty of a "deluxe" person staying at a moderate resort. Could prevent some future vacation disappointments by knowing what to expect. Give them a little slack!:bounce:

Thanks again steelcity5044.

A1A1
06-14-2002, 08:25 AM
Re-read posts. Didn't think anyone was slamming steelcity. Sorry you got that impression. Hope my post wasn't misinterpreted as a slam. Just a board conversation........

sharoncity
06-14-2002, 08:37 AM
Sorry A1A1!!!!!
I didn't mean to preach either, but I've seen some of these posts turn ugly pretty quick and didn't think this particular post really deserved that. Wasn't pointing any fingers - just wanted to say I appreciated the honesty of the original post. Sorry if it sounded too strong!:(

Yachtman
06-14-2002, 08:39 AM
I agree with with BOB NC and A1A1. You said you got an immediate upgrade to a great view. You also said check-in was easy. Then you ask for-and get-turn down service. You may have had expectations that were a little too unreasonable. If you start out with a predisposition to find fault you most probably will.

Disney's Deluxe Princess
06-14-2002, 08:49 AM
I'm sorry that you did not enjoy CSR. I do believe you were expecting too much from a moderate. Turn down service? I'm shocked you even received it. You must have known what you were in store for with this resort. You even made a request for the Cabanas. That tells me you were pretty informed about this place. They were very kind to send you over to the Contemporary.

Eeyore1954
06-14-2002, 08:52 AM
My DW and I stayed at CSR a few years ago. We had mixed feelings about the resort. The room was ok, but we felt the 2 queen beds cramped the space a little bit.

We didn't especially mind the walk to the main pool. The walkways were nice and it was good exercise. We liked the quiet pool near our room.

I loved the hammocks... it was a great way to spend some "away from the parks" time.

The walkways in the evening were great for a romantic stroll.

We didn't especially care for Pepper Market. Running around to different stations and having your "ticket" stamped was a little too goofy for us. We prefer either buffet or sit-down w/ menus. I guess this place just didn't fit us.

We had a nice vacation, but probably wouldn't go back to CSR. Just a personal choice.

Tinkbell
06-14-2002, 09:05 AM
At least now you know not to book a moderate resort again.:D I don't think I'd like people walking right by my window and door either.

Chuck S
06-14-2002, 09:05 AM
Soryy you didn't like Coronado Springs, I've never stayed there - only at Contemporary prior to buying into DVC, now I stay at OKW, so I don't have any experience with the Moderates. Coronado Springs looks like a very pretty resort, from what I could see of it as I was driving by on the way to AK. I think my main complaint at CS would be the lack of a sit-down restaurant, I like to be comfortable and relax at meal time. I've never request turn down service (just not important to me.)

Reading the report here, it seems that CS is either a "love it" or "hate it" resort.

A1A1
06-14-2002, 09:07 AM
Thank goodness there are enough resorts to suit everyone. I just read a post that didn't like the PM, which I know some people don't, but *I loved it!!!!*.

I loved the CSR, but also noticed the carpet wear. I had never stayed at a moderate before, but that was my confirmation that mods were good. They are different from the deluxes in a lot of ways, but they definitely have their benefits! Some of the theming and beauty of the mods is breathtaking. I could have walked around CSR all day noticing different flowers or bugs or touches every time.

It is good to do your research hear on the DIS and other places to know what you are getting, unless you don't mind a pleasant surprise. Two of my favorite resorts receive *very* mixed reviews here - AKL and CSR. I am going to try CR this summer armed with the mixed reviews, but looking for the beauty and fun wherever I can find it there. I only make myself miserable when I find fault. That can definitely ruin a vacation.

gepetto
06-14-2002, 09:20 AM
CR tower rooms are around $340/night. You must have done some very convincing complaining.

The only time you get turn-down service without having to request it is on the concierge level. I'm surprised they did it for you in a moderate resosrt.

Sammie
06-14-2002, 09:27 AM
I don't think anyone was "slamming" the orginial post. I think others were only trying to point out to future guests that you get what you pay for.

All Disney resorts have their differences most are determined by price. For future guests do your homework and eliminate some disappointments before you arrive. There is plenty of information here for those that need it.

The differences in resorts are price, room size, bed size, interior hallways vs. outside corridors, patio and balconies vs. none, valet parking, turn down service, room service, in room package delivery, transportation options, etc. The more you pay the more you get. As to the bathroom/sink set up that varies between resorts even deluxe ones. The older resorts have the sink in the main bath, new resorts have the sinks in the room with only the tub and toliet in the bathroom.

I think it is fine to realize that a moderate resort is not for everyone, however I think it is unfair to the resort to expect more than what you pay for.

I think the upgrade was extremely generous for being uphappy with the choice and next time you will know as you stated, moderate resorts are not your thing.

DancingBear
06-14-2002, 09:50 AM
Chuck S, the CSR does have a sit-down restaurant, the Maya Grill, open for breakfast and dinner.

As to the original poster's comments, I agree that it does sound like expectations were too high:

--Problem getting packaged delivered. I believe many of the resorts hold packages at the front desk.

--Problems with turn-down service. Since they don't offer this service, maids aren't trained to do it when folks are out of the room.

--Dirty windows and mirror. A legitimate complaint at any resort.

--No interior corridors. True at every moderate.

--Doesn't like station setup at Pepper Market, prefers buffet or sit-down. All moderates have food courts. Maya Grill was available for breakfast or dinner.

--Small room. Goes with the moderate, but the rooms aren't all that much smaller than at WL or AKL. Trend in hotels is toward smaller standard rooms. CR rooms are comparatively huge.

Sounds like the manager went way out of their way to make the poster happy.

Chuck S
06-14-2002, 10:25 AM
Thanks, DancingBear, I didn't know about Maya Grill - Do you think it would be worth driving over from OKW to try this restaurant? Is it seasoned Southwestern style (hot peppers) or relatively mild?

sha_lyn
06-14-2002, 10:34 AM
The deluxe resorts don't even deliver the packages to the rooms anymore, or at least they don't deliver to the Contemporary North Garden Wing rooms. We had to pick our packages up at one of the sotres in the main building.

I don't understand all the complaining about people walking by your window. I guess you've never lived in an apartment, or a neighborhood where the homes are close the the sidewalks before.

DancingBear
06-14-2002, 10:44 AM
Chuck S, you might want to check on the Restaurant Board for more current info. My recollection from a '98 visit was that there were several southwestern selections but looking at the current menu on WDWIG it looks like much more conventional steak and fish fare than I remember.

terryberry
06-14-2002, 11:03 AM
I'm finding it real hard to believe that management would transfer you from a room at $84/night to a room at over $300/night just for what you consider annoyances, but in reality are standard for a moderate hotel.

m&m's mom
06-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Are we sure this was not a joke? A bit over the top in my opinion.

mle
06-14-2002, 12:54 PM
I agree, it is quite an incredulous story. If it is true, I'm sure there's more to it from either the poster's side or hotel management. But as with just about everything you read on the internet, take it with a grain of salt.

pooh6890
06-14-2002, 01:02 PM
We had a standard room at the GF and received turndown service every night. I have no desire to stay at the CSR either.

A1A1
06-14-2002, 01:16 PM
At all of my trips in the past year+, I've been told that resort room package delivery no longer exists. There have been security issues, that were resolved with removing this delivery service. Packages must be picked up at the resort gift shop.

mat2672
06-14-2002, 02:05 PM
I think I have to agree with alot of the posts here. You have to understand what your getting when you buy something. Unless your buying deluxe, of course there is going to be a walkway in front of your window and door. I understand the privacy issues and Ive had times where I forgot to pull the curtain over and felt uncomfortable when someone would eventually walk by and take a peak in, but at the same time if you make the choice to spend less you have to know that your going to get less. Thats why the resorts are priced how they are. You have to know the amenities and decide what you want for yourself and if your willing to pay for it. I dont think anyone is beating up on the original poster. I think everyone is just stating the obvious. Dirty rooms are a legitimate complaint, but expecting deluxe qualities in a moderate resort is a little too much.

perdidobay
06-14-2002, 02:23 PM
Isn't CSR also a convention resort/hotel? This may be part of the problem with some people, ones that do alot of convention stays. Most hotels for conventions usually do have such things as turn down service. I have a freind who was at CSR last month during a convention and he was very dissapointed at the level of service and condition of the room. If WDW wants the convention bookings at CSR they need to have the usual expected level of service, jmo.

M. Eisner
06-14-2002, 03:02 PM
Why go to a moderate if one admits they are not a moderate person? Since I am a value person, I am not familiar with turn down. Is that where they pull the sheets back? Is that hard to do? I've been doing it myself all my life, I didn't know people do it for you.

DancingBear
06-14-2002, 03:06 PM
Yes, CSR is a convention hotel but it was built to offer a moderate option for conventions, and so whoever is planning the convention knows that they chose this option over the Contemporary or Swan/Dolphin or wherever to save money, with the amenities that come with CSR. If CSR offered room service and turn-down service, etc., the costs would rise accordingly.

pooh6890
06-14-2002, 03:29 PM
M. Eisner....maybe I never noticed your posts before or the pic next to your name, but I had a really great laugh from your post sitting here dying to get out of work at 4:20.........Have a great weekend!

TracyK
06-14-2002, 04:20 PM
M.Eisner - :D :D :D ROTFLMAO!!!!

steelcity5044
06-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Hi,
Thanks for all your replies. I only requested turn down service after someone from housekeeping with a clipboard walked around knocking on doors requesting if anyone would like this service for this evening, so I assumed that they had this service since the resort itself was the one who offered it.
No, I did not expect Deluxe accommondations from a moderate resort, I just found out that I was uncomfortable with the arrangements of this resort. If there would have been more privacy between the sink/vanity area and the outside windows I may not have been so uncomfortable, and if the room would have been better upkept it may have been more bearable.
The resort itself and the surrounding grounds were very pretty but for 5 nights with 2 small children it just wasn't for me.
Disney was very kind and understanding and I am extremely grateful that they listened to my concerns and made my stay very enjoyable.
No I would not stay at CSR again and this was a very good learning experience for me and the types of rooms that I am comfortable in, being this was my first official stay on Disney property. Disney worked their magic for me and because of that I will be going back again next year but staying at Wilderness Lodge or AKL.

steelcity5044
06-14-2002, 05:24 PM
As for being true, this story is. They did send us over to the Contemporary at the same price. I had a very short conversation with the nicest hotel manager I ever met. I did not ask to be moved he did that on his own and i am extremely grateful to him. As far as my package was concerned, it was at the front desk and very large. The Cm who checked me told me that she did not want me to carry it and would have it delivered to the room with my bed rails. I had to beg for it after that. I would have gladly gone back to the main desk and got it myself but then they couldn't find it and couldn't understand what I was talking about, thinking I wanted to mail a package. I had to go through 3 CM's before things got cleared up.

DeeP
06-14-2002, 06:44 PM
I think my main complaint at CS would be the lack of a sit-down restaurant, I like to be comfortable and relax at meal time.
CSR does have a very nice sit down restaurant Maya Grill.

jaguar9748
06-14-2002, 08:34 PM
During our second stay at CSR, we were in either 9A or 9B (Cabanas). Upon our return from one of the parks the first night, we found that we had received complimentary turn down service. Boy, that was a surprise! Happened again the next night too! Didn't happen during our 3rd stay, however. :smooth:

mkellym
06-14-2002, 09:13 PM
This place sux! we've stayed at every Disney resort and this is the worst hands down!!!

manning
06-14-2002, 09:18 PM
This manager should run for office. Did a very good diplomatic job of getting rid of a pain... naw won't go there!

KerriL
06-14-2002, 10:39 PM
I had a guest that booked Coronado Springs for last December. She was also "not a moderate" type of person. Why she insisted on CSR was evident when I called her to inquire about her recent stay. Well, she had a litany of problems that she ran off. None of which were legitimate. She was completely aware of the services offered at this resort. Well, she complained loudly enough to the manager and she was swiftly transferred over to Animal Kingdom Lodge. At no additional charge.
I had had a feeling that she would try to pull this sort of thing, so I had contacted Guest Services even before she checked in and "red-flagged" her reservation. I told them to warn management that she may try to complain about everything to get an upgrade. Well, in spite of my "early warning", they caved and upgraded her. I was peeved! But then I realized that the manager was probably glad to be rid of her! Maybe this is a trend at Coronado Springs...passing the buck!
By the way, a CM friend of mine told me that when a guest is upgraded under such circumstances, their info is put into a database so that if they book a moderate or value in the future and claim that the resort is not to their liking their chances of getting a "free" upgrade are nil.
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of circumstances where a comp upgrade is warranted, but there are some who will try to cheat the system.
And I do not infer that the original poster did this, so don't flame me!!!;)
Kerri

steelcity5044
06-14-2002, 11:46 PM
I would like to clear the air if at all possible at this point. I am not exactly sure how it turned out this way but I'll try to clarify things. I did not, repeat did not in no way shape or form try to cheat anyone or anything. My sole purpose was to try to inform people as to how I felt a Moderate level or below resort was. I have never stayed at a Disney owned resort and you do not know what to expect until you see it for yourself no matter how much research you do. I love these boards and find them truly informative and wanted to help others as much as you have all helped me. I found upon my arrival that i truly did not like the CSR, it's just the way I felt. I did not expect nor did I ask to be transfered to another resort. I went to the front desk just to talk about how I was feeling and I just happened to have the luck of coming across a very nice and understanding gentlement who truly went out of his way to give me a little bit of Disney magic on his own accord. I was stunned that he did such I nice thing for me for absolutely no reason other than he was a nice and caring person.
My goal in writing my trip report was not to inflame a jealous rage in people but to show haw truly wonderful the employees of Disney are. I also intended to shed a little light for people as to what a Moderate and below level resort are like to some so that if they have the same issues they won't make the same mistakes.:rolleyes:

honeymom
06-15-2002, 04:10 AM
I never stayed at CSR, but in response to the last post - isn't the Maya Grill a sit down restaurant? I think the only moderate without a sitdown restaurant anymore is POFQ.

nutz4dzny
06-15-2002, 05:40 AM
steelcity5044 - That was so very nice of the CM Mananger to upgrade you. My only question.....did you write a letter to upper Management to tell them how wonderful he was??? This is so important when someone goes above and beyond what is expected. Just a note of Praise will go into his file and make a huge difference. Please consider doing this if you haven't already!

Second....if you plan on staying at the WL or AKL next, I would suggest you visit these rooms before checking in if possible. I feel that the standard rooms in these resorts are small! I prefer the BC or Poly. If the Resorts are not busy, they will show you a room if you ask!

Thanks for your honest reviews!

jctwizzer
06-15-2002, 08:02 AM
Like a few others, I found the info in the original post somewhat puzzling, to say the least.....particularly a 15 minute walk from the building parking lot to their room....We've been to Coronado Springs....in 15 minutes we could probably walk around most, if not all, of the whole resort. I still think that the situation has been exagerated for effect....JMHO :rolleyes:

Bob NC
06-15-2002, 08:42 AM
particularly a 15 minute walk from the building parking lot to their room

Yes jctwizzer....After I read that, I too read the rest of the post with a jaundiced eye. I've stayed there and it isn't a 15 minute walk to any room from the parking lot in front of that rooms building.

gepetto
06-15-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by KerriL

By the way, a CM friend of mine told me that when a guest is upgraded under such circumstances, their info is put into a database so that if they book a moderate or value in the future and claim that the resort is not to their liking their chances of getting a "free" upgrade are nil.

Kerri

I'm glad Disney has a way of tracking the people trying to scam free upgrades like that.:D

steelcity5044
06-15-2002, 10:06 AM
It was a 15 minute walk with the confusing walkways toting 2 small children and 5 pieces of luggage. We parked in the Casitas 3 parking lot but where the room was situated it ended up being closer to Casitas 2 which made for a long and winding walk the first time to the room. The time cut in half on subsequent trips due to finally figuring out where room location was and parking in differnt lot but walk still seemed long due to huge size of resort and winding walkways.
Main point is that the walk was only a minor point, I don't mind walking. I was trying to get across the point that the size of the place is HUGE and if you have never been there before you can end up with a long walk due to not parking in the correct area according to where your room ends up.

webray
06-15-2002, 10:17 AM
Chuck,

CS does have a sit down restaurant...one of the best on disney property actually...give it a try!

steelcity5044
06-15-2002, 10:21 AM
:(
There is something that I would like to say. I am very suprised at the tone that this thread has taken.
I again will state that I wrote my review on the day of my return from Disney. I was excited about how wonderful my trip was and how well taken care of we were by all of the Disney Cast Members.
I did a lot of research and planning for this trip and never expected anything more than what I booked. I ended up not liking where I stayed. It was a matter of personal opinion and that is all. I did not complain, demand, moan, or make a scene. I had a very nice informal maybe 10 minute long discussion with a very nice man who listened to my concerns and went out of his way to do what he felt he could.
I was hoping to share my joy and happiness with people here because I have received a lot of please reading about others good fortune.
I feel as if some people are having hissy fits of jealous rage and reading into things hoping to find some threads of heinous evil acts. Can there be no acts of human kindness anymore without people thinking the absolute worse?
You can think what you will. But my hope is that some will see the wonderful innocent magic the way that I experienced it. I just wanted to let people know how I felt about the resort, my experiences, and help them in making plans and decisions the way that others here have helped me.

bobcat
06-15-2002, 10:42 AM
You don't have to tote the bags to your room yourself. I made that mistake our first trip and have since learned. ;) We always transfer our bags to bell services, keeping out a bag with esentials (bathing suits :D ) if our room isn't ready yet. CSR was great about taking us to our room in the golf carts when we checked in. I probably would have gotten lost my first time at CSR too. I am sure many of the other resorts do this as well.

People are passionate about their hotels and there are many varied opinions about WDW on this board, which is why we all come here. Don't take others opinions personally. Things can get heated over the smallest items. Look at the resort mug thread ;) .

Buzz2001
06-15-2002, 11:48 AM
I was hoping to share my joy and happiness with people here because I have received a lot of please reading about others good fortune.

The only issue I had was the title of your post. If all you wanted to do was share your joy and happiness, you had a funny way of showing it.

soccerchick
06-15-2002, 01:08 PM
The cleanliness of mirrors and windows is certainly a concern and if a CM promised package delivery but didn't deliver that is an issue. As for a resort not being what you expected, I (and I suspect others from reading these posts) am not too sympathetic since there are soooo many ways to research this. I am also NOT jealous that you ended up in CR. I've only been in it on the monorail. Wouldn't know what to be jealous about. I will probably never spend that kind of $ for a resort (okay, maybe for GF someday). We don't spend that kind of $ on a room we will be in for only a short portion each day (night, actually) of our stay.

Here's a hypothetical.

I go into a restaurant and order a meal. The meal has been prepared fine, it is what the description said it would be. The ingredients are all fine. But, I decide that I really did not like that particular dish. I chose the rest., I chose the entree, do I have a right to complain about it just because I didn't have a taste for it after I saw and sampled it? Isn't this, in part, what happened here? Or am I the one missing something else here.

nwdisgal
06-15-2002, 01:13 PM
Steelcity5044 - Thank you for your posts and your opinions. I appreciate hearing both the positives and the constructive criticism offered on these boards about the different resorts.

I have a couple of general comments, really just my own observations about the resorts. First of all, CBR added a nice privacy curtain to their vanity area during renovation. This was an incredible positive. Disney should consider adding this feature to all their Moderates. Second, the "spread out" layout of the Mods can be a positive. It was nice to look out of our window at CBR and not see anybody in the courtyard at Jamaica 43. Also, DH and I walked around the lake at night and felt like we had the place to ourselves (or the illusion of that because of the sheer size of the place). I guess it depends on how you define the word "privacy". For example, we had a Savannah View room at AKL, walked out on our balcony and saw many other excited hotel patrons standing out on their balconies viewing the same animals. No, we couldn't see the people passing our room in the hallway, but we sure could see them on the backside ;)

nwdisgal
06-15-2002, 01:19 PM
Steelcity5044 - Thank you for your posts and your opinions. I appreciate hearing both the positives and the constructive criticism offered on these boards about the different resorts.

I have a couple of general comments, really just my own observations about the resorts. First of all, CBR added a nice privacy curtain to their vanity area during renovation. This was an incredible positive. Disney should consider adding this feature to all their Moderates. Second, the "spread out" layout of the Mods can be a positive. It was nice to look out of our window at CBR and not see anybody in the courtyard at Jamaica 43. Also, DH and I walked around the lake at night and felt like we had the place to ourselves (or the illusion of that because of the sheer size of the place). I guess it depends on how you define the word "privacy". For example, we had a Savannah View room at AKL, walked out on our balcony and saw many other excited hotel patrons standing out on their balconies viewing the same animals. No, we couldn't see the people passing our room in the hallway, but we sure could see them on the backside ;)

DeeP
06-15-2002, 01:31 PM
As another poster said you chose the resort and you got excately what the resort is advertised to be. The dirty windows, yes I can see not being happy with and a quick phone call to housekeeping would have fixed that problem within minutes. As far as everything else you got what you chose. I personally do not think you should have been moved to CR at the same rate. I think the CSR mgr did a disservice to all the other guests at CR who were paying full rate for the same rooms. The fact that you say you were moved to CR for the same rate and also into a tower room makes me also think that either this whole story is a joke or you must have done alot more than just talking nicely to the mgr for 10 min. I have stayed in too many different WDW resorts too many times over the years and have dealt with too many front desk CMs and resort mgrs to completely believe this story. It just does not add up, Disney likes to please their guests but they are also very interested in the bottom line and giving someone a $250+ room for $84.00 when Disney was not at fault and you got excately what you paid for just doesn't sound believeable. Sorry.

steelcity5044
06-15-2002, 01:57 PM
I am sorry you have such a hard time believing my story but it is true. We were sent to the Contemporary just out of niceness. Upon checking in we DID NOT ask for any upgrades and we were given a room in the tower without requesting it.
I understand what you are saying about you get what you ask for, but being it was our first time at Disney property we really didn't know what it was going to be like until we saw it in person.
As I said before, I did not ask or expect to be moved anywhere.
You mean to tell me that you have never gone to a restuarant and didn't like where you were seated or how the food looked even though you know what you ordered off the menu by the description. Was the resturaunt ever too cold or the lighting too bright/dim?
Everyone has their own opinions and likes/dislikes. Thats why we are unique human beings and not clones.

soccerchick
06-15-2002, 02:26 PM
In re: to my earlier post...

The lighting, temperature, and seats in a restaurant are equivalent to your room's dirty mirrors, windows, etc. I can certainly ask to be moved, have the air adjusted, and lights turned up. You can ask to have those things cleaned and delivered. My analogy, however, was related to ordering an entree and was that I GOT WHAT I ORDERED, I just did not care for it. There was nothing technically wrong with it. MY CHOICE just didn't turn out to be a good one for me. I still pay for the meal. I don't complain about its preparation, quality, etc. (since there was no problem with those) if the server asks why I didn't eat it; I state that it just wasn't something I liked.

You certainly had real concerns with the package, the mirrors and the windows. However, there was no misrepresentation on the part of CSR about what it is. If expectations don't equal reality, I (myself, personally) do not think that is a legitimate cause for complain.

I also agree with ********. If you were disappointed w/ your choice why not title your post "Disappointed w/ CSR" instead of "Couldn't Stand CSR"? I'm sure that came through loud and clear to the CM. As another poster suggested, I do hope that you write a letter of compliment for the CM who moved you. He went far above and beyond.

Trekker
06-15-2002, 02:29 PM
This thread has turned into nothing other than and attack on the original poster. You should all take a look at the Posting guidelines (http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm)

Especially:

3. NO FIGHTING: Several Internet news groups are marred by the actions of a few selfish people who turn an otherwise positive forum into a soap box for their anger issues. Internet newsgroups are not moderated, and therefore, anything goes. These boards are moderated in an effort to keep the discussions appropriate to the topic at hand. Those who feel they can not abide by these rules are welcome to read the posts on the board, and respond via email to the person who posted the message.

No one here has the right to question the honesty of what is posted. It is fine to express your opinions about THE RESORT, it is NOT OK to question the honesty and integrity of another POSTER.

This thread is closed - let's please try and do a better job of keeping on topic in the future.