PDA

View Full Version : Pre-trip report.... Our 1st ever visit... UPDATE POST 23

poppie123
05-05-2009, 06:47 AM
I have never done a pre-trip report before but with just 3 months to go until our first ever visit I thought it was about time I got my finger out and started one.

Cast

Me, 37…Disney mad, completely obsessed with looking at holidays even though I can’t afford to book any of them.
DD 18… Has been to DLP once, very sensible, (no idea where she gets that from) has her head well and truly screwed on. Now just can’t wait to get there after her first year at Uni.
DD 14... (will be 15 whilst we are there)…Mmmm, complete fruit loop springs to mind, can be a bit of a scatter brain and very easily led. Been to DLP 3 times soon to be 4, will not go anywhere without her sack of make-up and hair straightners.

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to go to WDW, when I was a child I only ever got as far as Pontins. Anyone who went abroad was super rich as far as I was concerned. I used to beg my parents to take me and my Sister to Butlins, people who went there were seen as really cool, but it was all in vain.
The first time my girls ever went abroad was when they were 8 and 12, quite late really. They never moaned though even when all their friends were heading off to exotic places and they had to make do with Clacton-On-Sea (not that there is anything wrong with Clacton i would like to add)
In fact my youngest used to think the term "abroad" was an actual country and wouldn't hear otherwise.

I never ever thought I would be able to afford to go to WDW on my pittance of a wage, i remember looking at pictures when they were building Expedition Everest thinking i would never get to see it, but here we are going in just 3 months.:yay:
To cut a long story short my Dad died a few years ago and the money he left me I invested, last year I had the choice to re-invest or do something with it. I choose to put the money towards this holiday, I am sure he would have approved.

We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside and have the free dining so I have spent weeks and weeks finalising where we are going to eat. I can book my ADR’s this coming Thursday although without park hours my plans could amount to nothing.
I still have to buy park tickets to Universal and SeaWorld and hope to do that within the next few weeks.

Here is our itinerary so far, if anyone has any comments or advice I would appreciate it.

Day 1
Depart Gatwick at 11.55am
Arrive MCO 15.25pm
Transfer by Magical Express to Port Orleans
Hopefully grab some dinner at the Rainforest Café in Downtown Disney. I was going to book an ADR for around 8pm but I am not too sure if that is wise.

Day 2
Animal Kingdom
Lunch at Yak and Yeti, watch the parade and then probably head back to the hotel.

Day 3
Magic Kingdom for the whole day (hopefully)
Lunch or dinner at either the Liberty Tree tavern or Plaza restaurant.
Watch the parade and wishes if it is on. (No hours yet)

Day 4
Hollywood Studios
Dinner at 50’s Prime Time Café, if not lunch at Sci-Fi café

Day 5
Blizzard Beach in the morning
Afternoon relaxing round the pool
Dinner either Boma or Whispering Canyon Café

Day 6
Epcot
Dinner restaurant Marrakesh
Watch Illuminations
We may pop back to the hotel for a few hours in the afternoon as I have been told that Epcot can be quite boring.

Day 7
Universal Studios
Lunch grab something there
Dinner either Whispering Canyon Café or Boma

Day 8
Louise’s Birthday
Breakfast desperate to go to Ohana’s
Some time in the Magic Kingdom, get Louise’s Birthday gift card etc
Dinner T-Rex 7.45pm

Day 9
Islands of Adventure
Lunch grab something there
Dinner either Planet Hollywood or Raglan Road

Day 10
Animal Kingdom for the morning
Donald’s Safari Breakfast
Relax at the pool in the afternoon
Dinner no idea yet.

Day 11
Shopping Day
Dinner either Ohana’s or Nine Dragons

Day 12
Typhoon Lagoon in the morning
Afternoon back at the hotel
Dinner either Ohana’s or Nine Dragons

Day 13
SeaWorld for the whole day
Dinner Raglan Road or Planet Hollywood

Day 14
Hollywood Studios in the morning
Afternoon back to the hotel
Dinner hopefully fingers crossed Hollywood and Vine for Fantasmic

Day 15
Magic Kingdom Morning
Breakfast Crystal Palace
Depart MCO 17.55
Arrive Gatwick 07.10am

That's about it for now, i will update as i go along.

Pegasus928
05-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Sounds great so far.
Not sure I totally agree with the statement that Epcot can be quite boring - but then I suppose it depends on what you all like to do in a theme park.
Looking forward to reading how it all went and seeing the pics.

poppie123
05-05-2009, 07:05 AM
A few of my friends that have been have said they found Epcot quite boring and you wouldn't want to spend a whole day there.:confused3
I am hoping we love it.

Pegasus928
05-05-2009, 07:26 AM
And I am sure you will. :thumbsup2
There are a lot of information type attractions - as opposed to the adrenilin filled rides (although there are a few of them too) - so maybe this is what puts people off.
After all we are there for fun - not an education :lmao:

natalielongstaff
05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Wow, great pre-trip

love the pics x x

wickesy
05-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Great start Brigette. I'm sure your Dad will be enjoying the trip with you. :hug: Our holidays are paid for with money my Mum left behind so I know how you feel.

Pinky166
05-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Great start Brigette. I am sure you & your daughters will have a great time. :banana:

I look forward to reading more. :thumbsup2

jockey
05-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Your plans sound great :)

thelittlemermaid83
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Yay a PTR!!

I remember when i first went Epcot when i was 9 and it was so boring that i refused to go there again when i went back to WDW in 2004, i do regret it now as it seems there is a lot more exciting stuff to do.

Tinks85
05-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Sounds lovely. We always stay at Riverside but they didn't have any rooms available this time so we're staying in French Quarters. You're going to love it. It is the most magical place in the world. Never done the free dining but we have it for next time so looking forward to seeing how good this is.

Oh and Epcot is much better than it used to be, the first few times we went there was no Mission Space, Test Track or Soarin but we still enjoyed ourselves.

suzycute
05-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Sounds like you have a great trip planned! Using your dads money to pay for an experience your family will never forget sounds very wise to me! Look forward to reading your impressions of your first visit!! :)

jackieleanne
05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Great pretripie. I agree Epcot is a lot better now with Test Track, Souring and Mission Space, I think everyone can have different opinions on it for example even before the Spaceship Earth revamp I loved it and always made the family ride it over and over again yet they hated it.

wicket2005
05-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Wow, the first time is always the best, though you do know what to expect a little bit with going toe DLP. Looking forward to hearing your plans as they develop.

Fozzie Bear
05-06-2009, 03:23 AM
Hi. If you do only half day at Epcot, make sure it includes night time firework show. I think you will end up spending a bit longer at this park when you get there.:thumbsup2
Oops. just noticed you have got fireworks on your list.

raph_b
05-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Sounds like a great trip :)

I'm sure you'll love Epcot, its impossible not too!! :rotfl2:

jjk
05-06-2009, 03:45 AM
sounds fantastic :thumbsup2

islandmum
05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
sounds like a fab trip.

I would probably suggest though, as you've already thought, that a booking on the first night might be pushing it. From how I know we are after an 8 hour flight, jetlag and all the travelling and settling you just wont enjoy it. My tip is the first night just grab something from the food court and chill. Otherwise your first day there feels like a crap hangover from the day before.

and Epcot - its totally different from the other parks, theres much less rides to do and they can easily be done in 1/2 a day but we also love walking around the world showcase, infact we spend more time doing that part of the park. We love to go in every country, try the food, look around the gift shops, watch the shows they put on and then watch the fireworks from a nice spot in the evening.

Epcot, despite being the least high adrenalin parks, is our second favourite because the day is so easy going compared to one where you wait in lines all day.

have a great trip:wizard:

Beth__WDW23/6/02
05-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Sounds like you have an amazing trip ahead of you.
Epcot is a great day out (not to all tastes however) we usually go later in the afternoon to be honest (not a full day for us).:goodvibes
Have a great trip :banana:

SusanEllen
05-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Brigette,
It's clear you've done your WDW homework (and many of us would agree that's a large part of the fun of a Disney vacation). Your reading has led you to opinions about what and how you do things and that's very good and will save lots of valuable time once you're there, but don't be surprised to find you'll have strong opinions of your own once you've experienced the World. As you adjust day's activities, be sure you DON'T cut out IllumiNations on your evening at EPCOT--no matter how tired you are.
My other tip is be sure to look for the Electrical Water Pageant (staged on Bay Lake) the night you eat at Whispering Canyon Cafe. It runs every night, weather permitting, and all you have to do to find out what time to take up a viewing spot (never crowded) on the Wilderness Lodge beach or dock to watch is to ask Guest Services at your hotel or the one at WL. They'll know the time. This little lighted water parade is low key and low tech and its history stretches all the way back to the beginning of WDW when there was only Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary Hotel. It's a wonderful contrast to the usual hustle, noise, and crowds.
Whatever you do, I know you'll have fun. Then I hope you tell us all about it. Best wishes, Susan

Goofyish
05-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Hope you have a great trip :)

I thought you were 3 sisters when I saw the photos!

A Small World
05-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Great a Pre TR.

Its nice to see what you look like after all these times we've talked.

Im another one who loves Epcot. In fact I would possibly say its my favourite park.
I especially enjoy the World Show case and could spend hours there just wandering round.
Its also nice to go out of the park via International Gateway and wander up to the Yacht and Beach Club or across to Boardwalk.

Im sure you'll have a great trip and the girls will love it. :goodvibes

torsie24
05-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Eeeeeeee - your plans sound SO wonderful!!!!! And lovely photos of you and your girls too! :cutie:

I'm so glad you got all teh ADRs you wanted, you're going to have such a magical trip!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!!!!!!

poppie123
05-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Phew, thank god that is done.

Today was the big day i could make my ADR's.

Having spent best part of yesterday finalising my plans i was all ready to ring the Disney UK number at 11.55pm precisely.
For some reason i was actually quite nervous, i don't know why as they are there to help you but i suppose when you have spent sooooooo long planning something what would happen if they said they couldn't fit you in. I had a few back ups just incase but i really didn't want to have to start moving my park days around.

I got put through straight away and was able to book everything i wanted and for around the times i had in mind, the lady i spoke to was lovely and so helpful telling me the best way is to start with the hardest ADR's first.

Here is what i got

Yak and Yeti...... 1pm

Plaza Restaurant..... 5.40pm ( i would have like Liberty Tree Tavern but my girls wanted this one)

Restaurant Marrakesh..... 6.30pm

Whispering Canyon Cafe..... 8pm

50's Prime Time Cafe..... 5.30pm

Nine Dragons.....8.30pm

Ohana's Breakfast.....8.30am

Boma.....7.45pm

Planet Hollywood.....8.30pm (again not one of my choices)

Donalds Safari Breakfast.....9.20am

I have got to ring back each day from now on until i have completed all 14 days.
Still got to book Ohana's dinner, Hollywood and Vine for Fantasmic :scared: Ragland Road and Crystal Palace for breakfast.

scottish mum
05-08-2009, 06:03 AM
Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

stephensmum
05-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Do you know that T.Rex & Rainforest Cafe are not included on the DDP.

Beth__WDW23/6/02
05-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Nice choice of Adr's :thumbsup2

poppie123
05-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Do you know that T.Rex & Rainforest Cafe are not included on the DDP.

Yes ::yes:: but thanks anyway.
We have decided to give the Rainforest Cafe a miss but DD really really wants to go to T Rex so we are going on her Birthday

florida sun
05-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Great pre-trippie.

Another one here who loves Epcot, infact its my favorite park, Im sure you will love it:thumbsup2

Pegasus928
05-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Yes ::yes:: but thanks anyway.
We have decided to give the Rainforest Cafe a miss but DD really really wants to go to T Rex so we are going on her Birthday

If we had to choose between the 2 we would choose T-Rex. Having done both we all thought this place was better for atmosphere, food and service.

Well done on getting what ADRs you wanted. Fingers crossed it continues that way when you keep ringing up. :thumbsup2

mark&sue
05-10-2009, 01:47 PM
we too thought you were all sisters in your photo. What an amazing trip the three of you are going to have. well done on all your planning as it sounds like you are going to have the bestest holiday.

looking forward to hearing more of all your planning

susan

irongirlof12
05-14-2009, 02:39 AM
great trip planned and i love epcot, especially in the evening just before illuminations.