PDA

View Full Version : Question About Snack Credits

theweave
05-03-2009, 06:08 PM
I know that if you are on the DDP or the DxDDP, you get so many snack credits per day per person.

What I constantly giggle at is people who say they "have so many snack credits left at the end".

I know in my five days at WDW, I would have at least 3 bottles of soda per day... not to mention a Mickey Bar or Frozen Banana here and there. I don't think it would be hard to use 2 per day at all, especially when I see how many choices there are out there!

How many out there use all of their SC during their stay, without having to go nuts at the end and fill your suitcase?

Piecey
05-03-2009, 06:29 PM
I've only been on the dining plan once...

The last day we had a TON of snack credits and a few CS meals leftover.
We went to the POP foodcourt, got bags of the Chip-N-Dale Pretzels and sandwiches with the leftover credits... packed the pretzels in our suitcases and the sandwiches in our carry-ons, we ate them during our layover.

Worked perfectly and I plan to do the same this time around (though it seems some things have changed..)

theweave
05-03-2009, 07:25 PM

We went to the POP foodcourt, got bags of the Chip-N-Dale Pretzels and sandwiches with the leftover credits... packed the pretzels in our suitcases and the sandwiches in our carry-ons, we ate them during our layover.

Worked perfectly and I plan to do the same this time around (though it seems some things have changed..)

So you didn't eat while you were there I take it!

Piecey
05-03-2009, 07:36 PM
We ate, we just didn't eat as much food as it had.

My best friend and I split a CS for lunch everyday and then had our TS meals for dinner.

It was just too much food for us.

ReneeA
05-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Here's what happens with us when we are on the DDP:

We order 2 cases of water from Costco before arriving because we drink at least 6-8 bottles of water per day we are there, so we don't use credits on water.

Now, you get a dessert after BOTH a CS and a TS meal...2 BIG meals + big desserts twice a day = not much room for us to fit in a snack per person, per day. Actually, in the beginning of our trip, we all get a snack per person...then, the kids don't ever eat all of theirs, & I start feeling really crappy after that much sugar in a day. So, usually, we get 2 snacks for the 4 of us to share so that most of it doesn't end up in the trash can.

Most of our trips are 8-9 nights. Not too difficult to see how we'd end up with some CS and snack credits left on our card. We are getting better about not "saving" them for later in the trip like we did on some of our earlier trips. I use my snack credits for a latte every morning, etc.

I can definitely see how it can happen - especially with the DxDDP - they get 3 meals a day, each with appetizer, entree, and dessert along with a refillable mug and 2 snack credits per person, per day. I can see how many of them can end up with so many snack credits left over. I'm stuffed for HOURS after one TS meal.

ETA: As for the drinks, we always had lots to drink. The CS meals (for the most part) gave us the large sized fountain drinks. We always ended up taking them with us and then drinking them for an hour or so after the meal. Between that and the pop we got at a TS meal, it was more than enough for us for the entire day. Water was great after that.

ntsammy5
05-03-2009, 07:38 PM
We left a lot of stuff on the table.....

Mason's Mom
05-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I eat it all. There are never any left overs:rotfl:

Can't wait til Sept so I can eat again!:banana::banana::banana:

theweave
05-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah I guess it would be easy.. who knows I may be having a few leftover too because I am alone and going on the DxDDP I think. I will be using a few 2 TS credit meals so it will work out better for me I think.

Just found it puzzling how you could not have a drink or munchie in the park when you are walking all the time, after all, you are on holidays at WDW! :)

Retrievil
05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
We had 8 snack credits left after our trip. It's not that we couldn't use them on drinks and stuff, it's just that if you want to get 'the most' out of the plan it's not smart.

Why use a credit for a bottle of over priced water at the parks when you can bring your own?

Then you can use the snack credits for stuff you can't get elsewhere, like Goofy's Candy Company stuff to bring home.

Bottle of water from outside = 50 cents (or less)
Goofy's Candy = $3.00 - $3.50

trappednabox
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
IF and that's a big IF, we have any snack credits left, we use them for stuff to take home as gifts for the kids we know, stuff like Disney Pez, or unicorn pops, or stuff like that. That's money we don't have to spend on gifts

theweave
05-03-2009, 08:22 PM

It seems things always change, some for the good, some not! *LOL*

We had 8 snack credits left after our trip. It's not that we couldn't use them on drinks and stuff, it's just that if you want to get 'the most' out of the plan it's not smart.

Why use a credit for a bottle of over priced water at the parks when you can bring your own?

Then you can use the snack credits for stuff you can't get elsewhere, like Goofy's Candy Company stuff to bring home.

IF and that's a big IF, we have any snack credits left, we use them for stuff to take home as gifts for the kids we know, stuff like Disney Pez, or unicorn pops, or stuff like that. That's money we don't have to spend on gifts

Yeah I see what you are all saying now! The soda is overpriced (what isn't at WDW? :rotfl2:) but there is sooooo much you can get with a measly SC, why waste it? I don't like water much but maybe that is an idea, get some water shipped there and drink it in the parks.. but how to keep it cold so long?

jjohnson
05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
definitely... I never have enough:rolleyes1

Piecey
05-04-2009, 10:49 AM
It seems things always change, some for the good, some not! *LOL*

Yeah I see what you are all saying now! The soda is overpriced (what isn't at WDW? :rotfl2:) but there is sooooo much you can get with a measly SC, why waste it? I don't like water much but maybe that is an idea, get some water shipped there and drink it in the parks.. but how to keep it cold so long?

Exactly why on the last day we loaded up on pretzels and boxes of cookies!

I think I might have to hit Goofy's this year for that stuff, POP might leave me wishing for more options!! :rotfl:

Faldred
05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
On deluxe, we were typically doing 3 meals a day (the adults would sometimes split a CS lunch, but the kids need to eat at regular times). As such, one snack in the morning and one or two in the afternoon split among all of us (5 total, 2 under 3yo) was plenty. Got my soda during meals, and just carried a bottle of water around.

So, we had 9 (out of 42) credits left over by the end of the week. But that's what a last-minute stop at Goofy's Candy Co. is for...

catne
05-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes there are a kazillion choices for snacking around the World, but you'd have to have an incredible appetite to use them all on the deluxe because you may find you are full from your meals all the time. We did the deluxe dining plan for just 2 nights (parts of 3 days) in January and were totally overwhelmed with the amount of food. We ate 2 table service on the day we checked in, 3 the second day & breakfast on the day we checked out. We did not use a single snack credit (8 available) during our stay. When we checked out, we used 4 snack credits for yogurt and 4 on pastries to go. We enjoyed those for the next two days we were on the road. So technically, we used all our snack credits, but not while we were there.

On the regular dining plan, we use the one snack credit a day to buy a breakfast pastry, so we were using those while still in Disney World

MaumeeMom
05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
We had one snack credit left on our last day so we bought a bag of caramel corn for the trip home. We tended to use our SCs for ice cream or a smoothie, something cold. I think my DH used a SC for a water once before I "explained" the proper use of credits to him, especially since I had a case of water in the room.

We did have a few CSs left but that was because we went to T_Rex one day at lunch.

kimsuenew
05-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I know that if you are on the DDP or the DxDDP, you get so many snack credits per day per person.

What I constantly giggle at is people who say they "have so many snack credits left at the end".

I know in my five days at WDW, I would have at least 3 bottles of soda per day... not to mention a Mickey Bar or Frozen Banana here and there. I don't think it would be hard to use 2 per day at all, especially when I see how many choices there are out there!

How many out there use all of their SC during their stay, without having to go nuts at the end and fill your suitcase?

Not us! :rotfl: Both of our trips we were on the DDP and yes, we had "oodles" of credits left at the trip's end. Both times we spent a massive amount on our last day (pre-packaged snacks and even drinks on trip #2) and brought them home with us! :thumbsup2 We did spend one every other day or so I would say. We are not pop drinkers so pop use was out and CS places give you water free so buying water by the bottle was not a need really although I did spend a couple of credits on bottled water. DS & DH used credits more often than me, as they love the ice cream type treats.

Snork
05-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Snack Credit Tip--My wife and I use ours during the Food and Wine Festival since you can use your snack credits to purchase most of the food there.

We usually try to save a few credits for the last full day so we can get snacks for the plane ride home. I lie the half sized boxes of Nilla Wafers and she likes the Chip and Dale Pretzels...

So, we use all of our snack credits. Now, using all our CS credits is another question...:rolleyes1

AmberHeartsDisney
05-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Goofys is my plan on any un used snack credits too

Mrs.Reese
05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm not a big eater so DH and I usually split a CS meal. I also have to be careful because I have really bad IBS. My breakfasts have to be high fiber. We don't use our credits to buy water. Everytime we pass a fountain we drink. We always end up with extra snack credits and use them up at Goofy's. It's so worth it. :)

jimmalru80
05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Had the deluxe plan last year and used every available credit.

Colleen27
05-04-2009, 03:55 PM

In theory, I always think we'll use them all, but so far, we only have once.

On the basic DDP in Oct '05, we didn't, but the snack options were much more limited back then so we did pay OOP for things that are eligible snacks now.

On the basic DDP in Aug '07, we used them all.

On the deluxe DDP in Jan '08, we didn't even come close. We brought home 40-some snacks, out of the 88 credits we had for the trip. I was newly pregnant, though, so my appetite was uneven and my stomach was uneasy for a lot of that trip.

I don't expect we'll have as many left over on the next trip, since we've got the little one (under 3 & not on the plan) and it'll be during a hot time of year so we'll probably use more credits for bottled waters and frozen treats.

daisy2jae
05-04-2009, 04:45 PM
We always make sure to use them before we leave at the end of our trip. Even if it means taking home a few mickey mouse rice krispie heads in our suitcase.

marcyinPA
05-04-2009, 05:38 PM
We've done the regular DDP twice now, and have scrambled at the end to use up the snack credits. I think last trip we had about 7 leftover.

The problem that we found is that we eat so much food during the meals, that we are never hungry for snacks! Last trip, I personally did not eat a Mickey ice cream bar the entire trip:sad2: I was always too full!!

This is one of the reasons we're not doing the DDP again. We are trying out the QSDP, and hoping for the best! (the portions are smaller, generally, so I think we'll fare better this time around!)

ETA: We DO use them all...we just end up bringing things home with us.

WantToGoNow
05-04-2009, 05:49 PM
We managed to use all of our CS and TS credits last trip but had a ton of SC that we had to use up on the last day.

We have 4 adults, 1 child and 1 infant staying for 8 nights so we had 40 TS credits (32A and 8C), 40 CS and 40 SC. We took breakfast food from home that we ate in the room. Literally by the 2nd day we didn't even want to eat because we were so full. On the last day we had something like 24 SC left - we bought a bunch of candy, chips, etc. to bring home.

I can't wait to do it again in November!!

Colleen27
05-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Snack Credit Tip--My wife and I use ours during the Food and Wine Festival since you can use your snack credits to purchase most of the food there.

I'm looking forward to doing this for the first time this year! I've got one day in the plans where lunch will be nothing but snack credits around the F&W festival booths and another where we'll be having an early lunch, early dinner, and late night enjoying evening EMH with our snacks. :cloud9:

La2kw
05-04-2009, 06:19 PM
To me, it makes no sense to do the DDP if you are going to scramble at the last minute to buy snacks to take home. Why not skip the plan and just pay OOP? That way, you only buy what you want to eat, not what the DDP says you have to buy. If you are sharing meals, then you would probably spend a lot less without the DDP.

DisneyWisher
05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
One reason we had SC left was because we traded TS credits for CS credits. So we got 2 extra SC person. There were 3 of us and we had 10 SC left. I let the girls go to Goofy's Candy store and they bought lollipops home for their friends. I'll pay for a $2 drink and use a SC for a $3.95 lollipop. Worth it to me.

ReneeA
05-04-2009, 06:29 PM
To me, it makes no sense to do the DDP if you are going to scramble at the last minute to buy snacks to take home. Why not skip the plan and just pay OOP? That way, you only buy what you want to eat, not what the DDP says you have to buy. If you are sharing meals, then you would probably spend a lot less without the DDP.

Because I've actually sat down with the menus, and priced out exactly what we are likely to buy without the plan. We still save money with the plan, and that's not even with eating a TS meal everyday. It saves us money, and we eat better if we have it.

kimsuenew
05-04-2009, 06:30 PM

I can only speak for myself here but we were on the free DDP both times we visited WDW! :goodvibes There are plenty of delicious, pre-packaged snacks available to take home under DDP snack credits. We drive, so space is not an issue nor is climate (as in for melting)! We brought some home as treats for nieces/nephews and for ourself to enjoy long after we were back! :rotfl:

Colleen27
05-04-2009, 06:30 PM

Personally, I don't want to share meals on vacation! I like to order what I want, not compromise with another member of my family.

For us, the deluxe plan makes sense on meals alone. The snacks are just a nice bonus that we use mostly for drinks and fruit, and if we have some left to take treats home for the kids friends, that's just a little less that we're spending on souvenirs. I do the math every trip, and every trip I'm blown away by how much we save with the plan even though we don't order dessert with every meal, sometimes share appetizers, and often order the cheapest thing on the menu (I eat a lot of chicken & pasta).

JeNScHuB
05-04-2009, 06:38 PM
popcorn::This is great info on how to get the most for your money. Thanks to all the great posts that helped out!!

Smiling Cheshire Cat
05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
We had credits leftover because on our last day I had planned a breakfast at the Main St. Bakery. We were going to use our last 4 snack credits on cinnamon rolls and drinks. Their computers were down and they could only do cash transactions, so I ended up getting some waters and Mickey ears to take with us to the airport. No way I was going to waste them.

La2kw
05-04-2009, 09:41 PM
I can only speak for myself here but we were on the free DDP both times we visited WDW! :goodvibes There are plenty of delicious, pre-packaged snacks available to take home under DDP snack credits. We drive, so space is not an issue nor is climate (as in for melting)! We brought some home as treats for nieces/nephews and for ourself to enjoy long after we were back! :rotfl:

Free dining is a no brainer. However, I just have to laugh at the people complaining about paying for the DDP and then not being able to use the credits up. If you don't need all that food, buy what you will eat.

ilovemickeymost
05-05-2009, 12:40 AM
One reason we had SC left was because we traded TS credits for CS credits. So we got 2 extra SC person. There were 3 of us and we had 10 SC left. I let the girls go to Goofy's Candy store and they bought lollipops home for their friends. I'll pay for a $2 drink and use a SC for a $3.95 lollipop. Worth it to me.

Can you please tell me what you need to do to switch TS credits to CS credits? And then you get 2 snack credits per TS you switched? We're going to the Food & Wine Festival. And since we can use snack credits for the food there & its during free dining when it might be hard to get TS ressies, this would work out really well for us. TIA

marcielm
05-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Of our 20 SC's on our trip, we had 11 left on the last day. We made a stop at the Main Street Bakery for a half dozen muffins, a brownie, and 4 diet cokes for the road. :thumbsup2

If I could've found the candy shop, I'd have bought up some fudge... but I wasn't sure exactly where it was!

DISNEYNY
05-05-2009, 12:00 PM
We always use all our snack credits. We use many of them for breakfast at Main Street Bakery & Starring Rolls at DHS...YUMM. :goodvibes

Faldred
05-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Can you please tell me what you need to do to switch TS credits to CS credits? And then you get 2 snack credits per TS you switched?

During "free dining", because of the high demand for TS locations, they have in previous years offered the option of using a TS credit at a CS location. When you did so, you got a "bonus" of some sort to go with it -- 2 snack credit "coupons", a lanyard, a bag, etc. I think it's typically been a choice of either the snacks or a specific item.

Dizneydaz
05-05-2009, 12:19 PM
We've used DDP 5 times now. First time paid for it, other 4 times free.:cool1: We'll be doing it again this year. We ALWAYS have SC to use up on the last day. As well as CS credits. We use our CS for food on the plane and use our SC for snacks, etc. to take home or eat on the plane.

This year I am promising myself that I will not be running around on the last day to use up our credits. I will use my SC on the 2nd to the last day.:thumbsup2

As PP have stated, there is just so much food on the DDP (even w/o appetizers) that we found that we aren't that hungry between meals for snacks. Also, when it's hot, we eat less.

Now I will also say that we always have a rental vehicle and make a stop at Walmart or Super Target for breakfast foods, fruit, snacks, water and sodas.

We don't use our SC for drinks (I just can't bring myself to do it) or for fruit. We bring our own snacks when going to the waterparks. We eat most of our breakfasts in our room. Though as we get closer to the end of the trip we start using CS for breakfast in the food court. Also our last meal is a TS breakfast.

Oh and another reason we don't use SC for drinks is we always get the refillable mugs so we get bottled beverages with most CS meals. These we keep in the room. The bottles are easy to carry around. We get waters, juices,etc. My DD is looking forward to getting Minute Maid Cranberry juice again, this Sept. Last year she seemed to have a little bladder trouble so I convinced her that drinking cranberry juice would help. She did, and it did! :yay:

If we didn't have food/snacks/drinks in the room, then we would probably have no trouble using all our credits.

ilovemickeymost
05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
During "free dining", because of the high demand for TS locations, they have in previous years offered the option of using a TS credit at a CS location. When you did so, you got a "bonus" of some sort to go with it -- 2 snack credit "coupons", a lanyard, a bag, etc. I think it's typically been a choice of either the snacks or a specific item.
Thank you. Do I just tell them @ the CS or do I have to do it @ the front desk of the resort?

pinkerbubbles
05-05-2009, 04:23 PM
My family is a family of four...myself, husband, teenage boy and 8 yr. old boy. My youngest and I could share a lot of times. We went in June and it was so hot....our appetites weren't what they usually are. So, we had leftovers as well. We DID also use them to stock up for the flight home. It was actually a great situation. We were able to eat lunch before heading to the airport then take our snacks!

pstepka
05-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Oh and another reason we don't use SC for drinks is we always get the refillable mugs so we get bottled beverages with most CS meals. These we keep in the room. The bottles are easy to carry around. We get waters, juices,etc.

So for CS meals you can get a bottle of something, rather than a fountain drink in a regular cup?

DISNEYNY
05-07-2009, 01:54 PM
So for CS meals you can get a bottle of something, rather than a fountain drink in a regular cup?

Yes, most have bottled water & Powerade. We often order 2 of the largest soft drinks we can get & share for the meal and get 2 closed containers to save for later. :thumbsup2

pstepka
05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
That's a big thing for me as I KNOW we all won't drink a fountain drink at lunch. Being able to get the bottled water or gatorade will be great!