PDA

View Full Version : GTY Room Assignment

dcladdict-ohio
04-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Sorry to ask. I am sure this has been addressed a lot!

We are cruising in Cat 4. GTY any idea of the time frame in which we will get a stateroom assigned?

Also, we are a party of 3. I saw something on another thread where we could get "bumped" for a bigger party. Not sure how that could happen but ... anyone ever heard of that?

TIA

WishingMom
04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I think the cabins are assigned about 30 days out!

kcashner
04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Cabins are typically assigned at about 30 days out, but for our recent cruise it was in the 40+ day window.

If you have booked a 4 gty, you will sail in at least a cat 4. They cannot downgrade you for a bigger party. They could upgrade you to a suite.

If you did the AAA promotion of the guaranteed BALCONY, you'll have to read the exact terms of what you booked. There seems to be a lot of confusion over this one--some people think they are guaranteed a 4, other people think they are guaranteed a 4,5, or 6. This seems to be a very odd promotion--in 10 years I've never seen anything quite like it.

I really don't understand why you would pay for a 4 gty for 3 people (which is why I think you might have the AAA deal.) A cat 4 is 3 feet longer than a cat 5/6/7, so very little extra space....and a very lot more money under normal circumstances.

dcladdict-ohio
04-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Cabins are typically assigned at about 30 days out, but for our recent cruise it was in the 40+ day window.

If you have booked a 4 gty, you will sail in at least a cat 4. They cannot downgrade you for a bigger party. They could upgrade you to a suite.

If you did the AAA promotion of the guaranteed BALCONY, you'll have to read the exact terms of what you booked. There seems to be a lot of confusion over this one--some people think they are guaranteed a 4, other people think they are guaranteed a 4,5, or 6. This seems to be a very odd promotion--in 10 years I've never seen anything quite like it.

I really don't understand why you would pay for a 4 gty for 3 people (which is why I think you might have the AAA deal.) A cat 4 is 3 feet longer than a cat 5/6/7, so very little extra space....and a very lot more money under normal circumstances.

You are correct ... I do have the AAA deal but my reservation clearly states CAT 4 GTY. And under saner circumstances I would not contemplate a CAT4 but the price was the same for CATS 4, 5, 6, and 7. I gave up my CAT 7 (assigned room, already paid in full, booked through AAA) and rebooked a CAT 4 GTY for $1500 less - just figured why not, the cruise on the DCL website that day was $11K!

In the back of mind I keep thinking it is too good to be true and something has to go wrong!!

kcashner
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
You are correct ... I do have the AAA deal but my reservation clearly states CAT 4 GTY. And under saner circumstances I would not contemplate a CAT4 but the price was the same for CATS 4, 5, 6, and 7. I gave up my CAT 7 (assigned room, already paid in full, booked through AAA) and rebooked a CAT 4 GTY for $1500 less - just figured why not, the cruise on the DCL website that day was $11K!

In the back of mind I keep thinking it is too good to be true and something has to go wrong!!

Keep copies of everything....when the assignments come out, if it's not a 4, call your TA and be VERY insistent. If that doesn't get at least a 4, when you go to check in, have the reservation form with you and insist at that time. Heck, worst case you'll have a balcony for $1500 less than you'd planned. Best case, you'll get upgraded to a suite.

Wanna take me with you?

dcladdict-ohio
04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Keep copies of everything....when the assignments come out, if it's not a 4, call your TA and be VERY insistent. If that doesn't get at least a 4, when you go to check in, have the reservation form with you and insist at that time. Heck, worst case you'll have a balcony for $1500 less than you'd planned. Best case, you'll get upgraded to a suite.

Wanna take me with you?

I agree ... I would be happy with my CAT 7 for the price I paid. We also have a lot of volunteers to fill the stateroom. I do have the FAX confirmation from DCL that has the stateroom category on it so I should be OK.

Thanks for all the great advice :flower3: