PDA

View Full Version : Castaway Cay - jet ski - age??

jbm02
04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Has anyone done the jet ski excursion on Castaway Cay lately? The DCL site lists the minimum age as "8" but the new Passporter states that it is only for "16 and up" - and that part is highlighted to indicate that it is new information. My 14 y o will be very disappointed if this is accurate. :confused3 Any experts out there??

jilljill
04-26-2009, 09:04 PM
It's 16 to be able to drive a jetski. I was able to book the doubles for DH & DD, she'll be 15 when we cruise.

wideeyedwonder
04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Has anyone done the jet ski excursion on Castaway Cay lately? The DCL site lists the minimum age as "8" but the new Passporter states that it is only for "16 and up" - and that part is highlighted to indicate that it is new information. My 14 y o will be very disappointed if this is accurate. :confused3 Any experts out there??

I believe the "8" is the minimum age for a *passenger* (two people on the WaveRunner, one is an adult). Maybe the "16 and up" is for a *driver* (on a single)?

PirateSnowmen
04-27-2009, 12:08 AM
We were going to book the excursion on our cruise last month, but they told us you had to be at least 18 to drive the jet-ski. Some people are saying it's 16 - so confusing.

Unless they recently changed it - like, within the last couple of weeks - you should still be able to go. A mom and her 12 y.o. daughter that were at our dinner table went on that excursion on our last cruise.

disneychic
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
My DH & I did this tour on our April Wonder cruise. It was a bit windy & therefore the water was VERY choppy & rough. We went on as a pair, and I'm very glad we did, because it was soooo rough that I'm not sure I could've handled it well if I were driving myself. My best friend and her husband went as a double also, and she felt the same way. ---there was a spot 1/2 way where you could change drivers and neither of us switched into the drivers seat. We both let our husband's drive the entire time. I would think you'd have to be somewhat familiar with driving a jet ski in an ocean setting (not a calm lake or intercoastal) because it was really very choppy that day.

Tinkmom
04-27-2009, 12:47 PM
You should have switched!! The person on the back has a much rougher ride than the driver. Steering/handling is simple and shame on your husbands if they indicated otherwise. :rolleyes1

I did this with my son on the back. While we really enjoyed the excursion overall, I felt sorry for him because all the "doubles" commented that the ride was more pleasant for the driver. (He was too young to drive.)

jilljill
04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Here's the age rules from the DCL website:

Additional Information Each "WaveRunner" can accommodate up to two persons. Because of this, Guests need only reserve one ticket per every two riders.
This tour is guided and includes a 15-minute briefing. Time aboard the "WaveRunner" is approximately 45 minutes.
Guests board the "WaveRunner" from the water.
Maximum combined weight capacity is 375 pounds.
Wheelchairs (collapsible or electric) are not permitted.
This tour is not recommended for Guests with limited mobility.
Guests are recommended to wear water shoes or sandals, as well as eyeglass straps.
To ride, you must be at least 8 years old. To drive, you must be at least 18 years old.
Guests ages 16 or 17 years old who wish to drive may do so with written authorization from a parent or guardian and must be on the same "WaveRunner" as this parent or guardian.
Guests are asked to arrive at Boat Beach 5 minutes prior to their start time to check in.
Due to limited availability, Guests are encouraged to book early.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/shoreEx/landing?name=CastawayCayExcursionDetailPage&excursionID=C12%20DOUBLEPWCExcursion

disneychic
04-28-2009, 08:28 AM
You should have switched!! The person on the back has a much rougher ride than the driver. Steering/handling is simple and shame on your husbands if they indicated otherwise. :rolleyes1

I did this with my son on the back. While we really enjoyed the excursion overall, I felt sorry for him because all the "doubles" commented that the ride was more pleasant for the driver. (He was too young to drive.)

Thanks for the info! Good to know for the next time we cruise in September!

wwwosie
06-07-2009, 04:02 AM
We have this excursion booked for our cruise but are thinking about cancelling it because 45 minutes seems short for the price.
What did you see and did you enjoy it? (despite the choppy water...)

diznefamily
06-07-2009, 06:50 AM
We have this booked for our August cruise. Is it some type of tour? I just assumed it was like all other islands we have rented from and you have the jetski for the 45 min to do whatever you want. I like to go slow and my DH is a speed demon. If we all ski as a group, one of us will not be happy.

unctigger
06-07-2009, 12:12 PM
The information says this is $160 for a double. Is that $160 per person or $160 covers both. Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Donna

jilljill
06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
The information says this is $160 for a double. Is that $160 per person or $160 covers both. Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Donna

When I booked this for DH & DD I had to check both their names for the 1 ride and it came us as $160. Since it's $90 for a single rider the $160 better cover both riders.