PDA

View Full Version : Anyone concerned about getting the swine flu?

hslew
04-26-2009, 01:33 AM
Hi!

Is anyone concerned about possibly catching the swine flu at disneyland? Large crowds and people traveling from all other. Also, close to san diego county.

mechurchlady
04-26-2009, 03:08 AM
I have celiac and other health issues. I cannot take flu shots as they contain egg. I would be incapacitaded for a month if I got the flu.

I am not going to worry about swine flu. I am at more risk of getting some other flu from guests than that. I am not living my life in fear. Maybe I should never leave my house if I was afraid of the flu because then I could get paranoid about other stuff like AIDS. I could become a basket case unable to move from my house or I could be doing donuts in my ECV and enjoying life.:woohoo:

Sherwin
04-26-2009, 03:20 AM
I am not particularly concerned. But considering you asked, I actually was thinking about it just today, and whether or not I might catch it when I'm down in LA.

Personally, I really don't think so. I remember the avian flu outbreak and SARs, and how big of a deal WHO made that out to be. I'm not saying it's not a big deal, but if we hope for the best, it will be contained and quickly.

DisneySuiteFreak
04-26-2009, 03:22 AM
I have celiac and other health issues. I cannot take flu shots as they contain egg. I would be incapacitaded for a month if I got the flu.

I am not going to worry about swine flu. I am at more risk of getting some other flu from guests than that. I am not living my life in fear. Maybe I should never leave my house if I was afraid of the flu because then I could get paranoid about other stuff like AIDS. I could become a basket case unable to move from my house or I could be doing donuts in my ECV and enjoying life.:woohoo:

Yes but the difference between AIDS and Swine Flu is that AIDS is not airborne. In other words, you have to have an exchange of body fluids to get AIDS. With Swine Flu, all you have to do is breathe in the air space of someone who is infected. Everyone gives off microscopic spit and germs attached to that spit every time they breathe in and out. The current flu shot doesn't protect against Swine Flu, so a flu shot would be pointless.

DisneySuiteFreak
04-26-2009, 03:42 AM
Personally, I really don't think so. I remember the avian flu outbreak and SARs, and how big of a deal WHO made that out to be. I'm not saying it's not a big deal, but if we hope for the best, it will be contained and quickly.
Umm, many people died of the avian flu outbreak and SARS. Maybe not in this country, but in other countries. The Bird Flu and SARS were considered pandemic. If the WHO is making a big deal out of it, it's because they don't want the disease to become pandemic. 68 people died of it in Mexico which is just across the border from Cali (and many other states). Imagine how many people are crossing everyday from Mexico to the U.S. carrying the virus. How man y are on planes, trains and in cars that are carrying/infecting others as I write this? 7 people now in Cali were infected with it. The testing shows that it's the exact same strain of flu as the one that killed all those people in Mexico. I'd say that is something that people need to be concerned about. They are recommending on CNN tha people wear face masks if they are coughing or sneezing to protect others around them from geting sick, and of course to wash hands vigilantly. Also, they are saying if you have a cough or are sneezing and have had any other symptoms like fever that you should go to the DR immediately.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/26/swine.flu/index.html

Twenty-two students and three teachers in New Zealand, who returned from a three-week-long language trip to Mexico, may have been infected with the swine flu virus, officials said Sunday.

The suspected infections in New Zealand follow reports that a deadly new strain of the virus cropped up in more places in the United States and Mexico on Saturday.

The World Health Organization is calling the virus "a public health emergency of international concern."

Gregory Hartl, of the World Health Organization, said the strain of the virus seen in Mexico is worrisome because it has mutated from older strains.
"Any time that there is a virus which changes ... it means perhaps the immunities the human body has built up to dealing with influenza might not be adjusted well enough to dealing with this new virus," Hartl said. He said that, in Mexico, otherwise young, healthy people have been hit by the virus -- "one of the pieces of the puzzle that is worrying us," he said.

Mexico City has closed all of its schools and universities until further notice because of the virus.

More than 1,300 people with flu-like symptoms have been admitted to hospitals in Mexico, and officials are trying to determine how many of them have swine flu, said Jose Cordova Villalobos, the country's health minister.

The H1N1 strain of swine flu is usually associated with pigs. When the flu spreads person-to-person, instead of from animals to humans, it can continue to mutate, making it a tougher strain that is harder to treat or fight off.
The United States had not issued any travel warnings or quarantines.

But US Airways said Saturday night it would allow passengers to change plans if they wanted to because of the outbreak.

Airline spokeswoman Michelle Mohr said it was not asking people not to travel to Mexico, but wanted to "give them that flexibility" if "they don't feel comfortable."

The Canadian Public Health Agency had issued a travel health notice, saying, "The Public Health Agency of Canada is tracking clusters of severe respiratory illness with deaths in Mexico." Symptoms of swine flu include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite, coughing, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, the CDC said.

Caroline NZ
04-26-2009, 03:48 AM
We are in New Zealand and it is headline news over here. I am gutted as we are meant to be leaving for our Disneyland trip in 11 days time. I guess we will have to see what happens over the next week or so .

mechurchlady
04-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Yes but the difference between AIDS and Swine Flu is that AIDS is not airborne. In other words, you have to have an exchange of body fluids to get AIDS. With Swine Flu, all you have to do is breathe in the air space of someone who is infected. Everyone gives off microscopic spit and germs attached to that spit every time they breathe in and out. The current flu shot doesn't protect against Swine Flu, so a flu shot would be pointless.
Please read my post again.

I was saying that if we panic over one thing then it will be another and another and another until we are germaphobic and living locked in our house afraid that the postman will contaminate our mail, that the proselytizers who come to our house will engulf us in germs and that the groceries will have germs from strangers. We can fear one disease but if allowed to run amok then we can start fear to snowball into an overwhelming darkness that we cannot escape.

As for the flu shot my point is that I have reduced immune system and I cannot even take the flu shot. Every time I am out of the room I risk my health but I AM NOT LIVING IN FEAR.

DisneySuiteFreak
04-26-2009, 04:32 AM
Please read my post again.

I was saying that if we panic over one thing then it will be another and another and another until we are germaphobic and living locked in our house afraid that the postman will contaminate our mail, that the proselytizers who come to our house will engulf us in germs and that the groceries will have germs from strangers. We can fear one disease but if allowed to run amok then we can start fear to snowball into an overwhelming darkness that we cannot escape.

As for the flu shot my point is that I have reduced immune system and I cannot even take the flu shot. Every time I am out of the room I risk my health but I AM NOT LIVING IN FEAR.

No one's is saying that we should panic. Everyone, from the CDC to the WHO to Drs interviewed on the news, is saying that we should be vigilant about what we expose ourselves to, and vigilant about nipping it in the bud if one thinks one may be infected by immediately seeking help, because it is airborne and is a mutating virus. I am also immune compromised and I am not living in fear either. Instead, I believe that it is better to be educated about the dangers that are out there and educate myself on how to deal with those dangers rather than to bury my head in the sand and unintentinally make myself a target for the mutating viruses, when a little proactive, preventitive measures could be the difference betwen getting sick and possibly dying vs. living a nice, long, healthy, happy life - immune compromised and all. The death toll in Mexico is now up to 80 according to CNN.
By the way using all caps on the 'net is the equivalent of screaming. All caps, emboldened and size 7? That's a bit much, don't you think? No need to scream, my hearing and reading ability is just fine, thank you! :) Have a great day!

farmfresh
04-26-2009, 04:33 AM
It may be worth noting that 88 people died of regular flu in the US 2007-2008 (see CDC website). So while swine flu might be a problem, it needs to be kept in proportion. Also, it appears able to be contained by regular flu antivirals. The five first cases in the US have all recovered, and only one required hospitalisation.

Best advice might be to follow usual hygiene precautions relating to flu, and keep an eye on the spread, using good quality sites, not just media. A case in point - school students have returned to Nz with 'suspected' swine flu - at this stage they have only tested positive for influenza strain A. It is possible they just have the flu - it is the start of our flu season here. Fingers crossed that is the case.

And just a note on bird flu - those that died from it died from bird to human contact - a pandemic was not possible because as yet the virus does not pass from human to human. Swine flu appears to be able to do so, yet it also appears to be controllable. So that's a good thing!

If you are travelling, enjoy your trip, and try not to worry. go see your doctor if you are really worried.

DisneySuiteFreak
04-26-2009, 04:53 AM
It may be worth noting that 88 people died of regular flu in the US 2007-2008 (see CDC website). So while swine flu might be a problem, it needs to be kept in proportion. Also, it appears able to be contained by regular flu antivirals. The five first cases in the US have all recovered, and only one required hospitalisation.

Best advice might be to follow usual hygiene precautions relating to flu, and keep an eye on the spread, using good quality sites, not just media. A case in point - school students have returned to Nz with 'suspected' swine flu - at this stage they have only tested positive for influenza strain A. It is possible they just have the flu - it is the start of our flu season here. Fingers crossed that is the case. Those who did die of the regular flu were probably elderly and/or immune compromised. Hence the strong emphasis on vigilance and hygiene precautions. I agree with what you wrote except that you wrote 'the usual hygiene precautions.' There are a lot of people who wouldn't even know where to begin using basic hygiene. I see it all the time -- just one example is the people who use the restroom and leave without washing their hands. I've seen, men, women, and children do this. No kidding. I was in a public restroom the other day when a man walked in (I'm a woman in the woman's restroom, btw), handled his member, did his business and left -- without washing his hands. Then he proceeded to handle food serving items at a buffet where others after him had to handle the same items. Most of them ate using their now contaminated hands thanks to this disgusting man. People like that man obviously have no clue the number of disgusting organisms they are carrying around on their hands and transferring to other people/things that other people touch. Gross.
Where did you hear that the anti-virals worked to stop the progression of the swine flu? All I've heard is that no on in the U.S. needed anti-virals yet.

And just a note on bird flu - those that died from it died from bird to human contact - a pandemic was not possible because as yet the virus does not pass from human to human. Swine flu appears to be able to do so, yet it also appears to be controllable. So that's a good thing!

If you are travelling, enjoy your trip, and try not to worry. go see your doctor if you are really worried. Interesting, I read the bird flu info on the CDC website. They were calling the avian flu pandemic on their website. That is the verbiage they used. CDC is not media and they should be credible as far as the info they dispense.

I have a trip coming up and I'm going. Because I am immune compromised, I may take extra precautions by using a face mask to filter out some of the junk that people may be passing around. We'll see...Other than that, I am big on hand washing for 30 seconds or longer under warm running water and soap, and I will carry hand sanitizer too just in case.

DisneySuiteFreak
04-26-2009, 05:03 AM
Now the death toll is up to 81 in Mexico. :(

Czardas
04-26-2009, 05:26 AM
Hmmm going to American & Mexico so it is a bit of a worry but by September things should be under control. I will keep tabs on it but not worry too much at this stage.

keptwoman
04-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Mexico is a country with many people living in very poor conditions without adequate sanitation or nutrition. That affects mortality rates.
The NZers who may have caught it are all recovering well with no major issues.
If the numbers of dead in a first world country reflect those numbers I'll start to worry. Right now as healthy people with good nutrition I wouldn't worry for our family. If any of us were immune compromised of course I might be slightly more careful about what we did and where we went.

JadeDarkstar
04-26-2009, 08:43 AM
my dads been sick for about a week now I have ordered my mom if he is still sick tomorrow take him to the doc.
Yes i am worried but that is because I am paranoid. Tho in the news they are saying it is now world out brake since New Zelend has positive cases now. then the 100 kids in new york school who were sick on Thursday.

I have been watching this carefuly be safe

DebbieB
04-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Where did you hear that the anti-virals worked to stop the progression of the swine flu? All I've heard is that no on in the U.S. needed anti-virals yet.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/26/swine.flu/index.html#cnnSTCOther1

Click on the "How is the virus treated" tab.

It is treated with Oseltamivir or Zanamivir. Works best if started within 2 days of onset of symptoms.

No need to panic. There are posts on the community board where people are considering taking their kids out of school. If that's necessary, the government will order them closed.

carj
04-26-2009, 09:21 AM
It sounds like the best thing to do at this point is see a doctor quickly if you experience flu like symptoms because it responds well to Tamiflu etc...I think someone mentioned the actual name of the drug.

I am glad to hear about the warnings because I am not someone who rushes to the doctor at the first sign of illness, I usually give it a day or two and see if we are getting better. (Except sore throats, because of strep. I usually take them in right away so they can get the throat swab and get started on antibiotics if they have it.)

We live in Texas but Texas is a huge state. The confirmed cases were in San Antonio, I think which is about 5 hours from here.

I am not going to pull my kids out of school but I will keep an eye out for the symptoms like I would any other illness. I think that is the best thing to do.

At our school , they do a great job of trying to keep things sanitized. There are Purell dispensers under the lightswitches by the door of very classroom and office. The kids come in and shake hands with the teacher and they are reminded to "get a squirt" as soon as they walk in. They also do this at other times throughout the day. The desks and other surfaces are sanitized during the teacher's conference period and after school. I know that nothing is perfect and illnesses can be found anywhere. I think that they do an amazing job of trying to keep things as clean as possible. They look at attendance for the classes and try to evaluate their cleaning procedures and make changes as needed.

So...I am concerned about swine flu and I am personally glad that the information is being presented so that we can be aware. I will continue to live life normally.

I just bought a new car yesterday and it is coming from San Antonio. Maybe I will give it a wipe-down just in case though!

JadeDarkstar
04-26-2009, 09:21 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517958,00.html
heres something about it too

I have heard that one the cases was as they drove though AZ (to Mexico I think)

new suspected cases in
France
Israel
Spain

blackjackdelta
04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
no

rune_74
04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
The American news channels like to blow things waaaay out of proportion. I wouldn't worry too much, has there been any deaths in the US from the disease?

I heard that the only reported ones in the states have been successfully cured. Alot of what you see on the news down there is made to seem the end of the world, I'm not sure why it is, but that is the way it is done.

jenjersnap
04-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Yes, I am afraid because my middle son has a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy with an additional history of pulmonary hypertension. We are lucky he is still with us at age 5 but he is immune-compromised and a serious case of the flu could mean death. The good news is that I think he is eligible to take Tamiflu now that he is over age 5 ... but that, in turn, makes me worried about his little brother.

Anyway, our planned road trip vacation is in jeopardy ... flying on a plane to San Diego and hitting many, many theme parks and museums all the way to San Francisco seems not very smart for my family. Full payment for our Disney package is due soon - we'll make our decision this week.

ETA: A friend of mine works in public health for one of the larger counties in CO and she was in all-day meetings re: swine flu on Friday. She says, if she were in my position, she wouldn't go.

Brady's Mom
04-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Yes, I am afraid because my middle son has a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy with an additional history of pulmonary hypertension. We are lucky he is still with us at age 5 but he is immune-compromised and a serious case of the flu could mean death. The good news is that I think he is eligible to take Tamiflu now that he is over age 5 ... but that, in turn, makes me worried about his little brother.

Anyway, our planned road trip vacation is in jeopardy ... flying on a plane to San Diego and hitting many, many theme parks and museums all the way to San Francisco seems not very smart for my family. Full payment for our Disney package is due soon - we'll make our decision this week.

ETA: A friend of mine works in public health for one of the larger counties in CO and she was in all-day meetings re: swine flu on Friday. She says, if she were in my position, she wouldn't go.

Jennifer, if I were in your position, I would also very seriously consider cancelling my trip. Unfortunately, that can sometimes be a hard decision to make. Hope everything works out well for you and your family and you can get any money back that you have spent so far. :hug:

Corpsebride
04-26-2009, 02:52 PM
we are going on Tuesday to meet with the wedding planner:banana::lovestruc
We are going to buy that new stuff that coats your nostrils and prevents any air born virus from getting in.
I cant remember what its called. but better safe than sorry. I am pretty phobic about that stuff.
But I , like Mechurchlady can not let myself get all freaked out about it.
Life is too short!
besides, I wash my hands a lot at DL and use the antibacterial gel after. I think we will be alright.
Ill post updates about my meeting with the DWP after our meeting:woohoo::bride::wizard:

bennyb98
04-26-2009, 03:36 PM
We are going to buy that new stuff that coats your nostrils and prevents any air born virus from getting in.

Any idea of what its called? I'm getting a bit worred about it myself since i'm leaving Tuesday for my trip to LA and we don't seem to know all the details yet. I would probably feel better if I was leaving later and we knew more so I could be more prepared.

SmoothDisneyH2O
04-26-2009, 03:58 PM
AAAAHHHHHH its the swine flu! Its the END of the WORLD! :eek: Everyone run for their lives! Women and children first! AAAAgggghhhhh! It got me...Im dying....dying......dyi.....dy....Croke! Nah Im just kidding. Im not worried about the Swine flu. Come two weeks from today we'll be enjoying DL. :thumbsup2

jemilah
04-26-2009, 04:02 PM
No worries I can get it just as easy here in Vegas .......hey maybe it will keep the crowds down.

glendalais
04-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm sure The Walt Disney Company is continuing to monitor the situation.

I will say that, at this time, all Walt Disney Parks and Resorts sites worldwide continue to operate as normal. There have been no changes to Park Schedules that I'm aware of.

I'm almost certain that, in the event of a emergency situation, the Disneyland Resort in California, as well as the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, will follow the advice of the American Centre for Disease Control (CDC) as well as the instructions issued from Local, State and Federal Governments.

Likewise, I'm sure that Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney Resort, and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort will follow the advice of the relevant French, Japanese and Chinese authorities, respectively.

These measures may include actions up to and including temporary cessation of operations as part of a Public Health measure to limit human contact. However, I'm sure precise measures will depend on the decisions of the Government Agencies concerned, as well as what is best to ensure the safety of our Guests and Cast Members.

If you feel unwell at any time while visiting a Disney Park, please visit the nearest First Aid centre. Locations are indicated on all Park Guidemaps, or you can ask any Cast Member.

For updated information on Park Operating hours, visit the Disneyland Resort website at http://www.disneyland.com/.

Let me just say that there hasn't been any formal announcement on this matter from Disney, so this is all conjecture at this time. I'm sure more information will emerge as the situation develops.

lntsmom
04-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Everyone in my family has asthma, so this could be a crisis. Last year one of my boys had an ear infection about 3 weeks before our trip. Our doc wrote a script for antibiotics just in case he got a bounce-back infection while we were gone. I'd guess he'll give us a prescription for Tamiflu, just in case.

Yes, I'm worried...but the cases I'm hearing about are in Texas and Kansas, so since we live in Colorado it's not like this isn't a possiblity anyway.

rune_74
04-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Man to constantly live in fear, I'm glad it is not like that up here. I mentioned earlier the news, and there is a total difference in news coverage down there and here, some news agencies down there are saying possible pandemic/most likely. Up here it says health authorities are monitoring the situation and that no deaths have occured in the united states.

I think its fine to be concerned, but don't run for the bomb shelters yet.

LuLusApple
04-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Nope, not worried yet. Just paying attention to it like everything else on the news.
If schools close around here and we get any cases I would worry. If Anaheim area schools close or people are quarantined than that would warrant me cancelling our next trip.
But right now it's not that worrisome.

PinkBudgie
04-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Man to constantly live in fear, I'm glad it is not like that up here. I mentioned earlier the news, and there is a total difference in news coverage down there and here, some news agencies down there are saying possible pandemic/most likely. Up here it says health authorities are monitoring the situation and that no deaths have occured in the united states.

I think its fine to be concerned, but don't run for the bomb shelters yet.

I agree, the news media loves to hype things like this because it gets people to listen to them = ratings.

Those with health issues may want to take extra precautions, but I'm not going to spend extra time to worry about it. I wash my hands before I eat and don't put my hands up to my mouth or nose. Other than that, I don't think there is much to do but wait and see how this turns out. We have to go to work. :confused3

brergnat
04-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes, I'm worried. Primarily because a LOT of people visit DLR from Baja California (Mexico) on the weekends...a LOT!!! The "2 Fer" deal is for So. Cal residents AS WELL AS residents of Baja California. The first weekend that was in effect, there were a LOT of people there from Mexico.

I'm also worried because I have an autistic 4 year old whose main stimming behavior at the moment is chewing on his fingers. He CONSTANTLY has his hands in his mouth, to no avail. It drives me crazy, because he is always sick. I was planning to go to Disneyland today with my kids...my son didn't want to go...had a meltdown...I have to say, after reading the news this morning, I'm sort of glad we stayed home.

It's not about "living in fear". It's a REAL danger, especially in a place like Disneyland, where there ARE people from Mexico visiting daily. They may be carrying this flu virus without knowing it, and it's extremely easy to catch illnesses at Disneyland. I know. Every single time we go there, my kids are sick 3-4 days later (due to DS's incessant hand chewing). I can wash his hands a million times, and use wet ones to no end, but it's not enough.

I would CERTAINLY not travel to Mexico anytime soon (although, swine flu would be the LEAST of my worries in doing so...) and if I had a cruise, or other vacation planned there pending in the next month or so, especially with my kids, I'd cancel it immediately. Not worth it.

disney4metoo
04-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Yes, I'm worried. Primarily because a LOT of people visit DLR from Baja California (Mexico) on the weekends...a LOT!!! The "2 Fer" deal is for So. Cal residents AS WELL AS residents of Baja California. The first weekend that was in effect, there were a LOT of people there from Mexico.

I'm also worried because I have an autistic 4 year old whose main stimming behavior at the moment is chewing on his fingers. He CONSTANTLY has his hands in his mouth, to no avail. It drives me crazy, because he is always sick. I was planning to go to Disneyland today with my kids...my son didn't want to go...had a meltdown...I have to say, after reading the news this morning, I'm sort of glad we stayed home.

It's not about "living in fear". It's a REAL danger, especially in a place like Disneyland, where there ARE people from Mexico visiting daily. They may be carrying this flu virus without knowing it, and it's extremely easy to catch illnesses at Disneyland. I know. Every single time we go there, my kids are sick 3-4 days later (due to DS's incessant hand chewing). I can wash his hands a million times, and use wet ones to no end, but it's not enough.

I would CERTAINLY not travel to Mexico anytime soon (although, swine flu would be the LEAST of my worries in doing so...) and if I had a cruise, or other vacation planned there pending in the next month or so, especially with my kids, I'd cancel it immediately. Not worth it.

How do you know they are from Mexico? Did they tell you or are you assuming?

There is also many Americans and other foreigners traveling to Mexico, for business or vacation who are bringing the virus back with them.

brergnat
04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
How do you know they are from Mexico? Did they tell you or are you assuming?

There is also many Americans traveling to Mexico, for business or vacation who are bringing the virus back with them.

Well, gee, if the tour buses from Mexico in the M&F parking lot were any indication...

Um, gee...what else? Oh...maybe all the B.C. license plates I managed to see while I was simply waiting my turn in line to get into M&F parking structure!

Come on, don't do that. I'm not presuming. I'm not being racist, or discriminatory. I can tell a group of foreigners when I see them. I can distinguish a group of Mexican people visiting FROM MEXICO from a group of Mexican California residents. I've lived here long enough...

And, your second point is a good one. LAX has numerous flights in/out each day from Mexico. LAX is also a major hub for people arriving to So. Cal to visit DISNEYLAND. Sure, there are separate terminals, but eventually, facilities merge, and there is no way to separate ALL the people who have come in from Mexico from all the rest of the people in that airport. And, the ones who make their way to Disneyland, which is a LOT, well...you get the point.

Yes, I'm worried about it. I certainly don't want my 4 or 3 year old sons to catch swine flu. And, there have already been cases confirmed in California, so it's not just a possibility anymore...

Eeee-va
04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
In fairness, it's my understanding that the swine flu in Mexico is primarily around Mexico City, and I haven't heard anything at all about cases in Baja, Mexico. Given the amount of tourism Mexico City gets and the distance from Mexico City to Baja, it could easily be MORE prevalent in areas of the US than in Baja, Mexico.

I see the bigger issue as that a lot of tourists from all over come to Disneyland, and the flu has already reached Europe, so there could be a lot of carriers bringing it over to Disneyland, regardless of where they are from.

I will say that hybrid flu is one of my biggest fears (that and ToT ;) ). I'm wondering if it's already a lot more widespread than has been reported...my co-worker's young son got VERY ill on Friday morning, and I think another co-worker's friend also got quite sick recently.

But at this stage it doesn't appear to be anything to panic over in the United States--even in Mexico City, they are saying that a large number of the victims have been discharged from the hospital. So right now, I would not cancel any plans to go to DL unless I or others in my party were immunosuppressed or had other vulnerabilities to the flu. (Early reports say that it's worse for young, healthy adults, so I would not currently cancel just because I had a senior or a child in the party.)

I'm certainly keeping an eye on it and if it gets to the point where the government is advising or demanding we avoid public places, I would likely cancel. Luckily I haven't bought admission tickets and my room is refundable until a couple days before check-in.

TheZue
04-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Considering they've closed down things like museums in Mexico I don't think the level of concern on a travel site is really that out of whack. If I had known that there was a brutal flu going around ds's school I probably would have stocked up ahead of time last February, we didn't leave the house for about two weeks. I basically view this as a case where we are getting extra warning because it's a weird flu, I'm not necessarily scared of it.

Also we are going to New York in a month for my 10th aniversary. I'm hoping it all calms down by then. This is basically a once in a lifetime trip for us that we've been planning for over a year. I don't want to get sick or be paranoid about it the entire time we are there.

marvel
04-26-2009, 08:50 PM
The media has a lot to answer for in terms of balancing reality with scare mongering. That's why it is hard for us regular people to actually make an accurate judgment of what is going on. It is scary when you hear of people dying of swine flu, students in NZ being diagnosed with it,and cases all over the world. It makes you think that it is a pandemic. In Australia a few years ago we were told the BIRD FLU was going to destroy Asia, and they sited cases of it being spread to humans, and in the end it was a big media beat up. Not that I am saying this is the case, but the media often isn't balanced or has the public interest in mind when publishing the story.

IT is hard to know whether I would travel now?? We go in Sept so will just have to monitor the situation as best we can. :sad2: I think each person needs to do what they think best for their own family situation and appetite for the perceived risk. Everyone's situation is different.

rune_74
04-26-2009, 09:28 PM
80 people died in mexico, which probably had a lot to do with sanitary problems of the city. The city has a population of 8,836,045 and 80 people died. It doesn't seem that bad when you take that into account. NO ONE has died in the states, not to say they won't but the odds are definately in your favour to survive.

disney4metoo
04-26-2009, 09:55 PM

I can appreciate your son's dilemma, and the safest thing to do for you, is not go to Disneyland. There are all sorts of germs in a place like Disneyland...and with your concerns and fears it is best not to go.

Sherwin
04-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Umm, many people died of the avian flu outbreak and SARS. Maybe not in this country, but in other countries. The Bird Flu and SARS were considered pandemic. If the WHO is making a big deal out of it, it's because they don't want the disease to become pandemic. 68 people died of it in Mexico which is just across the border from Cali (and many other states). Imagine how many people are crossing everyday from Mexico to the U.S. carrying the virus. How man y are on planes, trains and in cars that are carrying/infecting others as I write this? 7 people now in Cali were infected with it. The testing shows that it's the exact same strain of flu as the one that killed all those people in Mexico. I'd say that is something that people need to be concerned about. They are recommending on CNN tha people wear face masks if they are coughing or sneezing to protect others around them from geting sick, and of course to wash hands vigilantly. Also, they are saying if you have a cough or are sneezing and have had any other symptoms like fever that you should go to the DR immediately.
Of course I know many people died from SARS and Bird Flu; I'm not at all saying it wasn't serious. I live in a place where hundreds of intercontinental flights go in and out, particularly between the major Asian Pacific Rim cities. I live 140 miles away from Vancouver, BC, where there were a number of reported SARS cases. I still remember driving around and seeing pedestrians with masks on. But what I am saying is this. I recall the countless headlines that said something along the lines of 'SARS, major global pandemic?'. Same thing with bird flu. Most fortunately, both strains were contained within a few months and that never happened. Will I take extra precaution regarding personal hygiene and sanitation? Yes. But will I let this paralyze me? No. And will I let this stop me from going to DL. NO. And even if I were guarantee to contract it down in DL and die from it, would I still go? YES.

kiwitravel
04-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Mexico is a country with many people living in very poor conditions without adequate sanitation or nutrition. That affects mortality rates.
The NZers who may have caught it are all recovering well with no major issues.
If the numbers of dead in a first world country reflect those numbers I'll start to worry. Right now as healthy people with good nutrition I wouldn't worry for our family. If any of us were immune compromised of course I might be slightly more careful about what we did and where we went.

Obviously here in NZ we feel we are so remote that here is the last place pandemics will reach but it goes to show just how small the world is now.

Authorities here have taken this threat very seriously, they have tracked everybody else on the plane and are monitoring them for symptoms. At this stage two people have been hospitalised and are not "recovering well'. It hasn't been confirmed as swine flu at this stage, that is going to take a couple of days before this is confirmed, what is confirmed is it is a class A influenza which is serious.

Looking at the timeframe of its expansion through Mexico, we are about two weeks behind Mexico in the spread of this bug. The good news is we have a "heads up" on this thing, people who may want to play down the threat do so at their and their families peril....

Sherwin
04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
I can appreciate your son's dilemma, and the safest thing to do for you, is not go to Disneyland. There are all sorts of germs in a place like Disneyland...and with your concerns and fears it is best not to go.
But there are germs any where you go.

Obviously here in NZ we feel we are so remote that here is the last place pandemics will reach but it goes to show just how small the world is now.

Authorities here have taken this threat very seriously, they have tracked everybody else on the plane and are monitoring them for symptoms. At this stage two people have been hospitalised and are not "recovering well'. It hasn't been confirmed as swine flu at this stage, that is going to take a couple of days before this is confirmed, what is confirmed is it is a class A influenza which is serious.

Looking at the timeframe of its expansion through Mexico, we are about two weeks behind Mexico in the spread of this bug. The good news is we have a "heads up" on this thing, people who may want to play down the threat do so at their and their families peril....
We know that it can spread. The question is how efficiently can we suppress it? Now deaths have been reported outside Mexico, and we hope it stays that way, but we don't know for sure. A lot of the cases in the US have been reporting the patient to have been recovering or already have recovered. Simple drink lots of fluids if you detect illness, see a doctor if it persists, and maintain healthy hygiene!

blabbermouth
04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
80 people died in mexico, which probably had a lot to do with sanitary problems of the city. The city has a population of 8,836,045 and 80 people died. It doesn't seem that bad when you take that into account. NO ONE has died in the states, not to say they won't but the odds are definately in your favour to survive.

So good to see another sane Victorian here! I agree with what you've said. I'm no more afraid of the swine flu than I am of regular flu, which is basically not at all.

rune_74
04-27-2009, 12:23 AM
So good to see another sane Victorian here! I agree with what you've said. I'm no more afraid of the swine flu than I am of regular flu, which is basically not at all.

Now if only the air lines were sane from here to LA then my world would be complete.

DisneySuiteFreak
04-27-2009, 05:17 AM
And will I let this stop me from going to DL. NO. And even if I were guarantee to contract it down in DL and die from it, would I still go? YES. Wow. If it were guaranteed that I would die from it if I went, that would be a no brainer for me and my family, we wouldn't go. To each his own I guess... Since it's not guaranteed we'll die from it, we are going. Did you see my other post? We're going. Just using extra precautions, washing hands like a freak and taking hand sanitizer. I didn't say anywhere in my previous posts that we weren't going or that others shouldn't go. Everyone needs to do what is best for their family and circumstances.

Obviously here in NZ we feel we are so remote that here is the last place pandemics will reach but it goes to show just how small the world is now....The good news is we have a "heads up" on this thing, people who may want to play down the threat do so at their and their families peril....
I agree having a heads up and having access to information about it is a good thing. I also agree that people who don't take it seriously are doing so at their own risk.

It should be taken seriously that's why the American Gov't declared it a public health emergency yesterday. It's a step to allow resources to be freed up for prevention and mitigation. No one is saying to panic. We should be vigilant about taking preventative measures -- especially those who have chronic illnesses or who are immune compromised.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/26/swine.flu/index.html

Everyone who is writing about how SARS and Avian Flu didn't become the worldwide pandemics the media mentioned (at that time) that they could become should thank their lucky stars that those Govt's involved, and the WHO, took the necessary precautions and spread the word about what needed to be done to prevent it from spreading. That may very well be why we are all able to write about it here. Hindsight is 20/20. If we bury our heads in the sand and hope it will all go away by itself if we just ignore it long enough, how many people would get sick and maybe die from it? Then what would our hindsight look like?

Flea
04-27-2009, 05:43 AM
Tho in the news they are saying it is now world out brake since New Zelend has positive cases now. then the 100 kids in new york school who were sick on Thursday.

I have been watching this carefuly be safe

I'm in New Zealand and the news just on said that nothing is confirmed - they will need to wait a few days to get results back (as all tests need to be sent to Aussie for testing). Currently some - not all - have flu like symptoms and are quarantined in their homes and some of thos on the same flight have put themselves into voluntary confinement.

Flea
04-27-2009, 05:50 AM

where does it say they aren't recovering well - I read (nz herald) that a teacher and one student was admitted one has been discharged and the other expects to be discharged shortly

rune_74
04-27-2009, 08:35 AM
There were confirmed cases in Canada, and they have all recovered well. There has been no confirmed deaths outside of Mexico city.

lntsmom
04-27-2009, 12:47 PM
I love it when a thread like this pops up...I can't say what I think of people who dismiss honest threats because they are so desensitized by the media that they're unable to differentiate between true threats and perceived threats. I also can't share my thoughts on people who think that if you can't see it, it doesn't exist.

That aside, commenting on what I view as rational and appropriate responses:

NPR today covered this topic and one thing they brought up is that hand sanitizers will not kill the flu virus. The doctor said that they can't hurt, and encouraged their continued use, but stressed that hand washing is the only thing that will get rid of viruses carried on the hands.

Also, not all flus are alike. The mixture of virus types, 2 swine: 1 avian : 1 human has not been seen for a long time...since 1918. (If you don't think flu can be serious, google that one! Three generations of my family exist only because my grandfather's first wife, a healthy young woman, died in that pandemic!) Due to the length of time it takes to generate a vaccine, this will be dealt with much like the last pandemic...1976. The vaccines will be given to health care workers and the military. The flu will likely have run its course before enough vaccine can be generated to be available for the general public.

Also, unlike most flu, this one has been killing healthy adults, not the elderly and infants. While those will special needs need to be concerned, this flu should concern everyone.

This is serious enough that when it is identified they are closing schools. Schools in Texas, New York, and one other state (possible South Carolina...I can't remember offhand) are closed today.

The governor here has suggested that people have a one to two week supply of food on hand. If you think you have the flu you are to see your doctor immediately. This flu responds to Tamiflu, so if you are diagnosed there is a treatment.

NPR is a fairly well balanced source for information like this...you can listen free online even.

jenjersnap
04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Excellent post, lntsmom.

kiwitravel
04-27-2009, 03:20 PM
where does it say they aren't recovering well - I read (nz herald) that a teacher and one student was admitted one has been discharged and the other expects to be discharged shortly

Of course I make the post and one of the hospitalised person is discharged :rotfl:

My point was anyone hospitalised because of flu is pretty sick and would dispute they were recovering well. Usually its not the flu but complications like pnemonia that are the problem and pnemonia can be deadly...:sick:

secondbee
04-28-2009, 11:09 AM
NPR today covered this topic and one thing they brought up is that hand sanitizers will not kill the flu virus. The doctor said that they can't hurt, and encouraged their continued use, but stressed that hand washing is the only thing that will get rid of viruses carried on the hands.

This is from the NPR website, so what is the correct answer on alcohol based hand cleaners?

What can I do to protect myself from getting sick?
There is no vaccine available right now to protect against swine flu. There are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses like influenza. Take these everyday steps to protect your health:

* Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
* Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
* Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
* Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
* If you get sick with influenza, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

ironlou
04-28-2009, 04:04 PM
No fear here...Going to go have a blast!!!

jenjersnap
04-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Based on the inconsistencies I've read about hand sanitizer, I asked my friend who works in public health this exact question. I posted her response in the other DL flu thread.

Please do not depend solely on gel sanitizer over frequent handwashing. Here's a quote from a friend who works the front lines of public health when I asked her about hand sanitizers:

BASICALLY....they can be useful against the flu IF used correctly...which means you need to wash your hands first and use a 60% or based alcohol gel and use enough...well over a TABLESPOON. They do nothing if your hands are grimy to begin with.

HTH....soap and water are by far the BEST THING EVER!

My interpretation is that people generally do not use enough for it to be effective (further research told me that the gel should stay wet on your hands for at least 10 seconds) and probably it's not that effective if you use it after riding every ride in FL during MM without making a couple additional handwashing stops.

This is from the NPR website, so what is the correct answer on alcohol based hand cleaners?

What can I do to protect myself from getting sick?
There is no vaccine available right now to protect against swine flu. There are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses like influenza. Take these everyday steps to protect your health:

* Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
* Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
* Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
* Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
* If you get sick with influenza, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

PinkBudgie
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Something I didn't notice anyone mention or maybe I missed it:

I always teach my pre-k class to sneeze or cough into the inside of their elbow, not in their hands. This way, they don't put the germs on their hands, pick something up, and spread the germs that way. :scared:

LavenderPeach
04-28-2009, 06:12 PM

I always teach my pre-k class to sneeze or cough into the inside of their elbow, not in their hands. This way, they don't put the germs on their hands, pick something up, and spread the germs that way. :scared:

Yes, thank you, that was what i was thinking too! :eek:

Teki
04-28-2009, 09:17 PM
No fear this way, well at least no more then any other illness. I always remeber to bring wet naps and antibac stuff in the parks, and I make everyone wash there hands before eating.

MommyWithDreams
04-28-2009, 09:47 PM
A little concerned here...the school that was closed yesterday in Fair Oaks Calif is less than a mile from my home. I'm used to just watching this stuff develop on tv, not in my own backyard. A little scare over the weekend when my son got sick.....ended up just being Step. I'll take that over this flu any day. Luckily he and I have pretty much set up camp at home while he recovers, I'm not going back to work until Thursday and he won't be returning to school until then.

Found out that there are some siblings of kids in that school in the preschool class at my sons school. That put me a little on edge but they have all been contacted and all are apparently fine.

Never can be too careful, I think it's safe to not just blow it off, not go nuts but to just be more aware.

Eeee-va
04-29-2009, 01:49 AM

I have adored the elbow sneeze ever since I saw a fast food cashier practice it a few years ago. (I'm sure she washed her hands afterwards too, though....I hope. :flower3: ) I think it's brilliant for adults to use, as well as kids. Back when bird flu was the panic du jour, some people claimed that the elbow sneeze alone would greatly lessen transmission, so that alone would keep it from being as bad as 1918. I'm not sure if that's exactly true, but since in 1918 they had to forbid people from spitting in public, it might help. :)

PinkBudgie
04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Yes, everybody should do that. I sneeze that way too. If adults did that at work, and kids at school I bet it would help.

Grumpy'sWife4Ever
04-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Another big fan of the "elbow sneeze" here - I work in a first grade classroom, and we are trying to emphasize "sickness" hygiene right now, not necessarily because of the swine flu but because of the plethora of nasty cold and stomach bugs going around. Nothing like seeing a kid sneeze into his hands, look at the result, and wipe it on his pants to make a person wonder HOW our species survived this long....:sick:

Eeee-va
04-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Multiple sources are now saying that this flu is behaving more like a regular flu than a human-animal hybrid flu, which is overall very good news.

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-swine-flu30-2009apr30,0,4696825.story?page=2

***uda said that genetic analysis of the new virus indicated that it was originally a swine influenza virus "but is now behaving more or less like a human influenza virus."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090429/WHO_panic_090429/20090429?hub=Health goes into depth on that idea, though I only found it after I'd typed up my thoughts. :flower3:

Besides the lack of antibiotics and antivirals, the main reason the 1918 flu was so devastating was because it was a brand new strain of influenza (either a strain of avian or swine flu, depending on who you ask :rolleyes1 ), and so no one had acquired any resistance to it. This was similar to some of the diseases Native Americans got when Europeans came over, which were so deadly for the Native Americans because they had never caught them before.

But if this new flu continues to act like a human flu and not like a hybrid human/animal flu, then I would think that means its effects probably aren't that different from the regular flu strains we're all used to. (From that article it sounds like the recent US cases which are hospitalized or worse are mostly the elderly and the young, which is what you'd expect with a run of the mill flu virus.)

Unfortunately, about 30,000 Americans die of the regular flu every year, so it's still serious, especially for those in the "at-risk" groups. But I'm cautiously optimistic that if it now looks like a human flu and is transmitting from human to human, that there are no signs that it will evolve into something that we have no resistance to at all.